PDA

View Full Version : Texans sign Kevin Walter to Offer Sheet

Texian
03-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Texans | Team may be interested in K. Walter
Sat, 4 Mar 2006 06:18:02 -0800

Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports the Houston Texans are reportedly interested in signing Cincinnati Bengals restricted free agent WR Kevin Walter to an offer sheet. Walter's compensation to the Bengals is a seventh-round draft choice, if they don't match the offer sheet.

http://www.bengals.com/team/player.asp?player_id=30

TexanSam
03-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Hmm...I've never heard of him. Not very impressive stats though in his 3 years. What makes him better than Armstrong or Gaffney?

Vinny
03-04-2006, 12:08 PM
I picked up Kevin Walter for a few weeks on my Dynasty team last year, so he has some potential. He beat out Kelly Washington but doesn't have the talent of Chris Henry who played most of the slot snaps. Good size...Possession wr - Joe Jurevicius type. Henry has legal problems and I don't think they want Washington back...so they may match the offer sheet.

sprtsfanatic
03-04-2006, 12:15 PM
that still doesnt answer the ? of what makes him better than any receiver we already have on the team (armstrong and gaff)... Why is it we ALWAYS go after some no name person...can we for once make a big splash in FA...just once to help this team I would like to see them spend some money on a GOOD FA to help this team out (Bentley/Hutchinson or any other big name FA that could FILL A NEED for that matter)

Vinny
03-04-2006, 12:17 PM
that still doesnt answer the ? of what makes him better than any receiver we already have on the team (armstrong and gaff)... Why is it we ALWAYS go after some no name person...can we for once make a big splash in FA...just once to help this team I would like to see them spend some money on a GOOD FA to help this team out (Bentley/Hutchinson or any other big name FA that could FILL A NEED for that matter) Here is a short answer...we will pursue a FA WR because we need one. Gaffney is a RFA, and Armstrong is doesn't run great routes and hasn't proven jack. You guys dreaming of Bentley and Hutchinson are........dreaming. The worst team in football rarely lands the best FA's on the market. Those guys tend to want to go to winners. That's the reason our FA's tend to be guys like McKinney, Stacey Mack, James Allen and Todd Wade. I'll also throw in that agents watch film too. I'd bet nobody wants to come here to not get passes from Carr. Gaffney gets no looks at WR2 but catches 9 passes when AJ is out. He gets better seperation from better CB's? I don't think so.

beerlover
03-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Here is a short answer...we will pursue a FA WR because we need one. Gaffney is a RFA, and Armstrong is doesn't run great routes and hasn't proven jack. You guys dreaming of Bentley and Hutchinson are........dreaming. The worst team in football rarely lands the best FA's on the market. Those guys tend to want to go to winners. That's the reason our FA's tend to be guys like McKinney, Stacey Mack and Wade. I'll also throw in that agents watch film too. I'd bet nobody wants to come here to not get passes from Carr. Gaffney gets no looks at WR2 but catches 9 passes when AJ is out. He gets better seperation from better CB's? I don't think so.

ouch :ouch:

sprtsfanatic
03-04-2006, 12:23 PM
I see your point but the NFL is a business and with it money talks and bull**** walks...and we seem to walk away from EVERY GOOD FA that could help turn this organization around.

El Tejano
03-04-2006, 12:24 PM
Yeah, who is this guy. Now if it was their 3rd receiver, I believe Henry is his last name, that would be a nice pick up.

Okay so I know now. Sorry. I didn't see yalls post till mine was posted.

Vinny
03-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Yeah, who is this guy. Now if it was their 3rd receiver, I believe Henry is his last name, that would be a nice pick up. Henry is a total moron and has the mentality of a 5 year old....you don't want him el.

El Tejano
03-04-2006, 12:28 PM
Well I don't know too much outside of seeing him play. What I saw from his play was worth wanting but we don't need punks on this team. We've done fairly well in not getting those type of players.

Vinny
03-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Well I don't know too much outside of seeing him play. What I saw from his play was worth wanting but we don't need punks on this team. We've done fairly well in not getting those type of players. Here is a sampling of his brilliance...According to a copy of the police report obtained by SportsTicker, Henry was stopped by a police officer who noticed an altercation brewing between two groups. The officer saw Henry reach into his wasteband and pull out a firearm, at which point he commanded the 22-year-old to put down the gun. Henry turned towards the policeman and froze before tossing the gun into a nearby limousine. http://www.allsports.com/cgi-bin/showstory.cgi?story_id=57707

barzilla
03-04-2006, 12:56 PM
Here is a short answer...we will pursue a FA WR because we need one. Gaffney is a RFA, and Armstrong is doesn't run great routes and hasn't proven jack. You guys dreaming of Bentley and Hutchinson are........dreaming. The worst team in football rarely lands the best FA's on the market. Those guys tend to want to go to winners. That's the reason our FA's tend to be guys like McKinney, Stacey Mack, James Allen and Todd Wade. I'll also throw in that agents watch film too. I'd bet nobody wants to come here to not get passes from Carr. Gaffney gets no looks at WR2 but catches 9 passes when AJ is out. He gets better seperation from better CB's? I don't think so.

If Capers were still the coach I could see that, but Kubiak has a reputation as a good offensive coach, so I would think it would easier to attract offensive guys. Also, while we may be a losing team we are also a young franchise that hasn't developed a reputation one way or another. Let's remember that we were trending up until last year. If this were Arizona or Detroit I could understand the reluctance on the part of free agents.

We should remember that we also have one of the better practice facilities and no state income tax, so there is plenty to attract guys. I think this has more to do with Casserly playing it safe until we find out what happens with the CBA. I suspect we should sign some starter quality guys if that cap jumps with a CBA.

Hardcore Texan
03-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Henry is a total moron and has the mentality of a 5 year old....you don't want him el.

Hey, I wonder what he got on the wonderlic? :deadhorse & :sarcasm:

But seriously, we don't want either of those guys on our team. Maybe we can pickup a middle to late rounder (like a Jeremy Bloom) if we can find a decent FA.
What about Jurvecious, did he re-sign with Seattle? I thought he was going to be a FA.

Vinny
03-04-2006, 01:55 PM
If Capers were still the coach I could see that, but Kubiak has a reputation as a good offensive coach, so I would think it would easier to attract offensive guys. Also, while we may be a losing team we are also a young franchise that hasn't developed a reputation one way or another. Let's remember that we were trending up until last year. If this were Arizona or Detroit I could understand the reluctance on the part of free agents.

We should remember that we also have one of the better practice facilities and no state income tax, so there is plenty to attract guys. I think this has more to do with Casserly playing it safe until we find out what happens with the CBA. I suspect we should sign some starter quality guys if that cap jumps with a CBA.
Carr has 60 NFL starts...more than Bulger, Pennington, Brees, and Leftwich. He has a ton of film on him. Carr isn't going to catch a break until he produces. I don't think anyone will just assume his field awareness improves just because he has a new coach. I don't think we will be able to attract a top WR FA due to Carr not being able to find anyone but his WR1 or his dump pass....I hope Im wrong.

Malloy
03-04-2006, 03:11 PM
Here is a short answer...we will pursue a FA WR because we need one. Gaffney is a RFA, and Armstrong is doesn't run great routes and hasn't proven jack. You guys dreaming of Bentley and Hutchinson are........dreaming. The worst team in football rarely lands the best FA's on the market. Those guys tend to want to go to winners. That's the reason our FA's tend to be guys like McKinney, Stacey Mack, James Allen and Todd Wade. I'll also throw in that agents watch film too. I'd bet nobody wants to come here to not get passes from Carr. Gaffney gets no looks at WR2 but catches 9 passes when AJ is out. He gets better seperation from better CB's? I don't think so.

I'm thinking (and I apologize if I am off-topic on this one), how will the prospect of no salary cap next year influence the FA's choice of teams? Logically you would think that they would want to take care of the monetary aspects of their careers first, meaning selling their services to the highest bidder, that being the big spenders among teams.
The way I see it, the salary cap might actually make it possible for these hot FA's to pick and choose among teams, whereas a no-cap scenario could possibly result in.. US (as in the Texans) getting some hot ones :)

Am I completely off on this one?
For the record, I REALLY want the cap in place in the future, regardless of whether or not we as a team will benefit from the no-cap.

Tayton
03-04-2006, 03:29 PM
Gaffney gets alot of looks. You may not see it from the TV angles but he often gives up on his routes.

Fiddy
03-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Gaffney gets alot of looks. You may not see it from the TV angles but he often gives up on his routes. The only time Gaff gets looks is when he is the first read otherwise it's AJ then dump down to Davis. Check out the Seattle game, he was the first read and had 10 catches for 81 yards. If he gets looks, he is productive. Problem is Carr won't look his way.

El Tejano
03-04-2006, 04:31 PM
Remember when everyone bashed Gaffney and not Carr?

TexanSam
03-04-2006, 04:43 PM
The only time Gaff gets looks is when he is the first read otherwise it's AJ then dump down to Davis. Check out the Seattle game, he was the first read and had 10 catches for 81 yards. If he gets looks, he is productive. Problem is Carr won't look his way.

You can't blame Carr for all of it, but you can't blame it all on Gaffney either. I'm not sure how Carr was supposed to throw to Gaffney when our whole offense revolved around a 2 step drop and throw a screen pass. On paper, Gaffney had his best season last year with 55 receptions. I think that that will go up to about 65 this year with a decent offensive line that gives Carr time to pass and coach that actually knows a thing or two about offense. I still don't think anyone on our roster (aside from AJ) is good enough to be a #2 WR. We need a free agent pickup (not Kevin Walter) who will take more pressure off of AJ.

Hottoddie
03-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Until we get a solid OL, I'm going to give Carr the benefit of the doubt. With 2-3 seconds to get rid of the ball, there's not a lot of opportunities to scan the field for other options. Carr may ultimately be a bust, but let's give him a chance to throw behind a better pass blocking line first. This is the very reason why I believe that we'll take D'Brick with our #1 pick.

Vinny,

As things stand now, I agree with your stance on the prime FA's reluctance to come here. However, anyone who's anyone, knows that a big part of Carr's lack of production has a lot to do with the Texan's OL. With that thought in mind, in your opinion, could the Texans drafting D'Brick & signing a veteran offensive lineman, or two, cause some of the premier FA's to reconsider Houston as a viable option?

bigTEXan8
03-04-2006, 05:04 PM
You can't blame Carr for all of it, but you can't blame it all on Gaffney either. I'm not sure how Carr was supposed to throw to Gaffney when our whole offense revolved around a 2 step drop and throw a screen pass. On paper, Gaffney had his best season last year with 55 receptions. I think that that will go up to about 65 this year with a decent offensive line that gives Carr time to pass and coach that actually knows a thing or two about offense. I still don't think anyone on our roster (aside from AJ) is good enough to be a #2 WR. We need a free agent pickup (not Kevin Walter) who will take more pressure off of AJ.

I think Moulds would be a solid addition to the Texans. He could be a great #2 guy. If the Texans could give him the money, they should.

TexanSam
03-04-2006, 05:21 PM
I think Moulds would be a solid addition to the Texans. He could be a great #2 guy. If the Texans could give him the money, they should.

Eric Moulds probably won't want to be a #2 guy. Look at his stats, he's been productive every year of his career except for his first two (he's been in the leage 10 years). I would like him also, but he's going to be asking for a ton of money and I don't think he'd like to be second fiddle behind AJ.

mancunian
03-05-2006, 06:00 AM
I picked up Kevin Walter for a few weeks on my Dynasty team last year, so he has some potential. He beat out Kelly Washington but doesn't have the talent of Chris Henry who played most of the slot snaps. Good size...Possession wr - Joe Jurevicius type. Henry has legal problems and I don't think they want Washington back...so they may match the offer sheet.

Bengals tendered an offer the Washington, but they like Walter he has good hands and did a good job when he came into the offence last year.

sakebomb
03-05-2006, 08:56 AM
that still doesnt answer the ? of what makes him better than any receiver we already have on the team (armstrong and gaff)... Why is it we ALWAYS go after some no name person...

Outside of Houston, Armstrong and Gaffney ARE the no name types. Especially Armstrong.

thunderkyss
03-05-2006, 10:45 AM
You know how the last couple weeks, we've been going on about how this guy hasn't taken a snap, that guy hasn't taken a snap....... or that we have no idea how so & so is going to handle the NFL.... With some of these unknowns... we know better now than we did before.. Take Joe Horn for instance.... He was the best WR KC had, but they didn't know it.....

Kubiak may not think as highley of Gaffney/Armstrong/Mathis as we homers do. he may think that is a bigger need than we do?? I don't know. Maybe they heard something about this kid that they like?? who knows.

Me, I'm just happy they are out there, and being active.

I really wish we had heard news about Carr working out over the summer, like that Aikman thing..... sure would make me feel better 'bout that.

badassBENGAL
03-05-2006, 02:13 PM
dont get it twisted, Kevin Walter is a pretty damn good WR. Its just that we're already stacked at WR, and we don't usually run more than a 3 WR set. He really emerged this year, beating out Kelley Washington, and getting the first TD of his career. he could be a #2 possession WR, IMO, most def.

thunderkyss
03-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Like I said, Kubes might not like our guys... might be looking to trade one of our guys, or more in a package deal of some sort, and looking for a replacement.

Headlights of a Carr
03-05-2006, 05:25 PM
I would love to see Walter here. Better than Bradford.......

edo783
03-05-2006, 05:45 PM
I would love to see Walter here. Better than Bradford.......

Heck...your better than Bradford!:rolleyes:

astrofan
03-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Walter was impressive in the playoffs.

U4ikrob
03-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Kind of iffy on Walter - Seems like a decent WR - but hasnt produced much nor had much playing time and thats usually a sign if you have been on a team a few years.

Moulds - a solid pickup - will be asking for more than we want to spend on a #2 wr

Jeravicious[sp] - Ditto as with Moulds

Givens - This is one name thats peaking my interest esp lately. Played a few years with the Patriots during the SB rns so has good experience and decent stats much like Gaffneys. A decent #2 guy and looks to come open in free agency and could be in our price range and interested as hes a Hometown guy too.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
03-06-2006, 11:57 PM
I, being a Bears fan, followed this kid through high school and his college career where he set several records while playing there. In his senior year he had between 90 and 100 catches and ONLY dropped 3 passes all year.

When he came out of college drafted by the Giants with 9 WR fighting for 2 positions, not the best odds, but he made the best of it. They compare him to Ed Mc. from Denver because he is a WR you can count on to get you the first down and then some.

He was let go because of numbers and imediately picked up by the Bengals. This guys has one of the best work ethics and a class act to go along with it. I wanted him to be on the Bears across from Moose any day.

When he came out of college he ran a 4.45, 6'4, 218lbs, excellent hands, tight route runner, and benched over 400lbs. He continues to work hard to get faster and better.

He is the Bengals Special Team Ace. One of the fastest as a gunner. I remember a Monday night game against Denver he lined up against Champ Bailey on a punt as a gunner and blew right past Champ. Of course the next time they punted, there was another with Champ to try to get to him.

If you watched the Bengals playoff game when Carson got hurt early, you saw what Kevin can do when given the chance. I even have to say he looked even faster than I remember seeing him that night, and catching everything Kitna put in his area. He was out running DBs and outleaping them as well.

I have no doubt with Kevin's work ethic and character (role model) and most of all his passion and skills of the game, he could easily be your #2 and a BIG target for CARR!!!
The one thing you need is Linemen to protect Carr for 1 second more than he has and you guys will be knocking on the division championship in less than 2 years!!!

I know, I as a Bear fan have been where you are and we have been around alot longer, so at least you guys in Texas have an excuse.

And NO, I am not his agent... Just a fan of the game!!!

Oh yeah, as for not producing... Kinda hard to uproot Chad Johnson and TJ. But if you look, when he was in there an was thrown the ball... HE PRODUCED!!! That is what you ask for from a WR.

edo783
03-07-2006, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the info Bear Fan. Sounds like someone we should be looking at. Sure your not getting a cut on his contract?

Bearfan Blue and Orange
03-07-2006, 01:39 AM
Thanks for the info Bear Fan. Sounds like someone we should be looking at. Sure your not getting a cut on his contract?

I wish I were getting a cut. I have not read about any other teams, but the Texans would definitely benefit... I know we WOULD have.

powerfuldragon
03-07-2006, 10:27 AM
Hey, I wonder what he got on the wonderlic? :deadhorse & :sarcasm:

He thought the wonderlic was a popsicle.

texan279
03-12-2006, 03:15 AM
from www.kffl.com

Texans | Team visits with K. Walter
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:19:17 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans visited with free agent WR Kevin Walter (Bengals) Saturday, March 11. The team would like to sign him.

Snapple
03-12-2006, 03:25 AM
Don't give us that wind about "good FAs go to winning teams."

Look at the Browns. They got Bentley and Jurevicious. These are GOOD players. The Browns are not a good team. But they roped them in because they paid. That's all it is. It's money.

But you can't tell me the Browns are more deserving of great signings while we have to beg for the leftover scraps of the league. We're not going to build a championship team by piecing together guys from everyone else's backup squads.

texan279
03-12-2006, 03:30 AM
Don't give us that wind about "good FAs go to winning teams."

Look at the Browns. They got Bentley and Jurevicious. These are GOOD players. The Browns are not a good team. But they roped them in because they paid. That's all it is. It's money.

But you can't tell me the Browns are more deserving of great signings while we have to beg for the leftover scraps of the league. We're not going to build a championship team by piecing together guys from everyone else's backup squads.

Bentley WANTED to play for the Browns and look what they ended up paying him.

Snapple
03-12-2006, 03:33 AM
Well, I'm not saying we should've gone after Bentley specifically. He was overpaid a bit, but at least that's one less position they have to worry about.

On receivers, I'd rather have a guy filling our #2 roll who has had experience playing almost every down. Kevin Walter is obviously not one of those guys.

So our chance at Bruce and Givens slipped away. There are other receivers out there. What about Antonio Bryant? He's not coming back to the Browns, and he doesn't have a new home yet. I think he'll be a solid #2.

swtbound07
03-12-2006, 03:36 AM
Good enough for me, Kubiak will do what is right, we have to believe that.

NO, NO, and NO!!!! You do not have to be a lemming, or a sheep. It's OKAY to be skeptical. Sheep mentality is what had everybody thinking playoffs last year because we were told thats what would happen in year 4 of the plan. Kubiak has NEVER been a head coach. Yes he has credentials. Fine. So David Carr stunk because of the O-Line. Fine. What has Gary Kubiak done to address the o-line? Nada. So why should I believe Carr will become a magic man? No particular reason. I hope we go 16-0 and shut me the heck up, but I just cant do blind optimism anymore. Not until we

A) Get a quality O-line
B) Get a quality quarterback
or
C) Get ourselves to .500.

No more *In the front office we trust* I watch a lot of football, talk a lot of football, and there are a lot of people on this board that evaluate football. I refuse to defer the collective pool of knowledge to the plan of our new head coach. So far our big free agent splash on an atrocious team is....sage rosenfels. yippee.

throwANDREtheBALL
03-12-2006, 04:00 AM
hahahahahahaha thats some good $#!T

I wonder how long the rest of em' will take to catch on

Danish Texan
03-12-2006, 04:08 PM
Texans | Rumor alert: Team signs K. Walter to offer sheet
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 12:43:12 -0800

Geoff Hobson, of Bengals.com, reports the Houston Texans might have signed restricted free agent WR Kevin Walter (Bengals) to an offer sheet. The Bengals might not match the offer since it is expected to average $1.5 million a season with $2.5 million up front. If the team does not match the offer and Walter signs with the Texans, the Bengals would receive a seventh-round draft choice as compensation.

What the ******* ???

mancunian
03-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Texans | Rumor alert: Team signs K. Walter to offer sheet
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 12:43:12 -0800

Geoff Hobson, of Bengals.com, reports the Houston Texans might have signed restricted free agent WR Kevin Walter (Bengals) to an offer sheet. The Bengals might not match the offer since it is expected to average $1.5 million a season with $2.5 million up front. If the team does not match the offer and Walter signs with the Texans, the Bengals would receive a seventh-round draft choice as compensation.

What the ******* ???

yep thats what it says on the Bengals website - I dont think the Bengals will match it. Walter will be the Number 3 slot reciever. I guess Gaffney stays. Bye Bye Mr Bradford

bATXle red
03-12-2006, 05:13 PM
may as well pick up a wide reciever with a seventh round pick, especially in a draft that is so thin at the WR position.

swtbound07
03-12-2006, 06:29 PM
may as well pick up a wide reciever with a seventh round pick, especially in a draft that is so thin at the WR position.

what good will a 7th round reciever do?

bckey
03-12-2006, 07:55 PM
I think Kevin Walter will turn out to be one of the best free agent signings in our brief history. Assuming we get him.

dirty steve
03-12-2006, 07:58 PM

troy brown turned out alright.

aj.
03-12-2006, 08:13 PM
yep thats what it says on the Bengals website - I dont think the Bengals will match it. Walter will be the Number 3 slot reciever. I guess Gaffney stays. Bye Bye Mr Bradford

What makes you think Gaffney stays? He's more of a slot guy himself and we are jammed up with slot guys.

I've had a feeling for a while - like months - that Drew is going to be able to get Jabar more money from someone else than the Texans are willing to offer.

I always thought of Gafney and Armstrong as interchangeable.

Mathis needs a ton of work before he's a legit #2. The WR corps as a whole still needs work but if the Texans sign Putzier and draft Bush, they won't be as desperate for a #2 WR who needs to catch 50-60 + for the offense to be potent.

Runner
03-12-2006, 08:14 PM
I always thought of Gafney and Armstrong as interchangeable.

I'm starting to think our new coaches found them interchangeable and "do withoutable".

aj.
03-12-2006, 08:17 PM

Ask Rod Smith (wasn't drafted at all and now closing in on 11,000 career yards)

aj.
03-12-2006, 08:18 PM
I'm starting to think our new coaches found them interchangeable and "do withoutable".

I think Armstrong stays. They tendered him, albeit a minimum - but he's cheaper to keep than Gaffney - and they have refusal rights on him.

Runner
03-12-2006, 08:26 PM
I think Armstrong stays. They tendered him, albeit a minimum - but he's cheaper to keep than Gaffney - and they have refusal rights on him.

I knew that but I forgot. I like to look clueless every now and then.

I always liked Armstrong as a possession receiver and wish we would have used him as such. Since we didn't use a TE to move the chains, I thought he could have filled that role from the slot. He is good at catching the ball in traffic.

Texans Pride
03-12-2006, 08:45 PM
From the Cincinnati Enquirer:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060312/SPT02/303120011

The Houston Texans today signed Bengals wide receiver Kevin Walter to an offer sheet as a restricted free agent. The offer is a lucrative one, and the Bengals will have an opportunity to match.

texanfan2002114
03-12-2006, 08:53 PM
Bengals | Team may match Walter's offer sheet
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:39:46 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports those close to the Cincinnati Bengals believe they may match the offer sheet the Houston Texans signed Bengals WR Kevin Walter to for two reasons: head coach Marvin Lewis likes the way Walter improved last season and WR Chris Henry's off-the-field problems means Walter has become more valuable to them.

TexanFan881
03-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Please, match the offer!

edo783
03-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Gaff goes, we might need him. Seems a LITTLE high for a 3 or 4th reciever though. How good is he really? If they match, I guess that's an answer.

bATXle red
03-12-2006, 09:23 PM

just saying... giving up a 7th rounder to the Bengals to get a reciever who has experience wouldn't be a bad deal... your question is a good one, but not what i was implying

swtbound07
03-12-2006, 09:44 PM
just saying... giving up a 7th rounder to the Bengals to get a reciever who has experience wouldn't be a bad deal... your question is a good one, but not what i was implying

I took the question a different way. I thought you were saying if we didnt get him we could just draft a guy in the 7th round and be okay..and i was like....the odds of that are slim

travfrancis
03-12-2006, 10:05 PM
if they sign Walter you would have to think they view him as a #2 wr, we have plenty of slot wrs

TexanFan881
03-12-2006, 10:10 PM
if they sign Walter you would have to think they view him as a #2 wr, we have plenty of slot wrs

I don't think Walter is any upgrade over Gaffney, or even over Bradford. To me this signing does nothing except build a race right now for the #2 slot between Mathis, Walter, and Armstrong (unless Gaffney comes back). Hopefully, though, this will end up being a battle for the #3 WR and we will pick up a #2.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
03-13-2006, 12:10 AM
I don't think Walter is any upgrade over Gaffney, or even over Bradford. To me this signing does nothing except build a race right now for the #2 slot between Mathis, Walter, and Armstrong (unless Gaffney comes back). Hopefully, though, this will end up being a battle for the #3 WR and we will pick up a #2.

If you look at Kevin's career college through today, he is a player that has done nothing but improve at every level and I believe he will be your #2 WR if the Texans get him. This guys has awesome hands and was a STEAL in the seventh round. The Giants new that, but they also had 9 wrs fisghting for 4 spots and among those, Ike, Toomer, Carter, leaving 1 position for 6 guys to fight. The Giants had to release him, The Bengals knew his potential and immediately signed him.

As far as talent, he has definelty lined up across a better defense than the Texans in the Bengals and learned from top WRs Probowl WR in Chad Johnson and TJ is not bad either I reckon. Not bad getting the playing time he did behind the #1 WR in the NFL!!!

Kevin did anything and everything a coach or teammate wants from another, fit in where ever needed to help the team WIN! He continuously did that no matter what team he has been on.

As for David Carr, I think he can be as good as Carson Palmer if you get linemen to give him an extra second and WRs that run tight patterns.

Did I mention Kevin LOVES to block and does it well. An attribute not found in many WRs today.

Take him, if you get him, welocome him and he will reward you!!

Bearfan Blue and Orange
03-13-2006, 12:15 AM
Walter, believed to be the first Bengals' RFA to be signed to an offer sheet since the Patriots offered center Rich Braham in 1997 and the Jaguars offered kicker Shayne Graham in 2004 , has been one of the club's leading special teams players since it picked him off waivers before the 2003 season. He caught 19 of his 30 balls this past season and had big roles during the wins in Cleveland and Tennessee. The Bengals have a week to decide if they'll match and , if they don't, they'll get a seventh-rounder as compensation.

MorKnolle
03-13-2006, 01:12 AM
If you look at Kevin's career college through today, he is a player that has done nothing but improve at every level and I believe he will be your #2 WR if the Texans get him. This guys has awesome hands and was a STEAL in the seventh round. The Giants new that, but they also had 9 wrs fisghting for 4 spots and among those, Ike, Toomer, Carter, leaving 1 position for 6 guys to fight. The Giants had to release him, The Bengals knew his potential and immediately signed him.

As far as talent, he has definelty lined up across a better defense than the Texans in the Bengals and learned from top WRs Probowl WR in Chad Johnson and TJ is not bad either I reckon. Not bad getting the playing time he did behind the #1 WR in the NFL!!!

Kevin did anything and everything a coach or teammate wants from another, fit in where ever needed to help the team WIN! He continuously did that no matter what team he has been on.

As for David Carr, I think he can be as good as Carson Palmer if you get linemen to give him an extra second and WRs that run tight patterns.

Did I mention Kevin LOVES to block and does it well. An attribute not found in many WRs today.

Take him, if you get him, welocome him and he will reward you!!

Isn't that generally how every player makes it into the league in the first place? I don't see how bringing in the Bengals #4/5 WR helps our team other than adding some depth at WR, but I don't see them letting Gaffney go and then bringing this guy in with the intention of having him be our #2 WR, that makes no sense and seems like a serious downgrade. If we do bring in Walter and Gaffney leaves, I definitely think they'll look for a better #2 WR out there either in free agency or the draft.

HOOK'EM
03-13-2006, 04:30 AM
Is Walter faster than Gaff?

TEXANS84
03-13-2006, 10:20 AM
Kevin Walter update:

Bengals | More on Walter's offer sheet
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 06:44:13 -0800

Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports Cincinnati Bengals restricted free agent WR Kevin Walter signed a four-year, $6.4 million offer sheet with the Houston Texans.

thunderkyss
03-13-2006, 10:23 AM
Isn't that generally how every player makes it into the league in the first place? I don't see how bringing in the Bengals #4/5 WR helps our team other than adding some depth at WR, but I don't see them letting Gaffney go and then bringing this guy in with the intention of having him be our #2 WR, that makes no sense and seems like a serious downgrade. If we do bring in Walter and Gaffney leaves, I definitely think they'll look for a better #2 WR out there either in free agency or the draft.

Remember when Joe Horn was the #3 reciever in KC?? Surely there are a dozen #2s out there that are playing in the #4/5 spot.

gtexan02
03-13-2006, 12:49 PM
Bengals | More on Walter's offer sheet
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 06:44:13 -0800

Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports Cincinnati Bengals restricted free agent WR Kevin Walter signed a four-year, $6.4 million offer sheet with the Houston Texans.

per kffl.com

Mods, if this doesn't mean that he officially signed with us, feel free to change the topic. If he did sign, please remove the Q mark

That's 3rd stringer #3! Woohoo!

aj.
03-13-2006, 12:51 PM
It means the Texans have offered him a contract for that amount and the Bengals have a week to match it.

It would be a good signing at that price.

gtexan02
03-13-2006, 12:56 PM
I don't even understand why we're going after him in the first place? Last year he had 19 catches for 200 yards and 1 TD. We have a lot of receivers who could easily put up those numbers. This guy has #3 or #4 receiver written all over him, right? So if for some odd reason we have Mathis or Gaffney penciled in as our #2, why not just resign Armstrong or Starling or some other, most likely cheaper and equally good #4 receiver?

whiskeyrbl
03-13-2006, 12:59 PM
First off you have to look at Cincy's WR's #1 Chad Johnson,#2 T.J. Houshmandzadeh,both are 6 yr. Vets so a lock at #1 & 2.Also Cincy wants him back so it is not a done deal they have 1 week to match our tender of 4 yrs. $6.4 Mil.

aj.
03-13-2006, 01:00 PM
Maybe Kubiak sees a young Ed McCaffrey in Walter. Who knows, but from what I read, Marv Lewis and Bengals fans really like him as a rising talent.

Gaffney is an unrestricted free agent and is not on any team right now.

Armstrong has been tendered so he will probably be retained. Right now it looks like he's the Gaffney replacement unit.

TEXANS84
03-13-2006, 01:00 PM
Some of the Bengals fans are pretty high on the guy, just thinks he needs to hit a team as a #3 to succeed:

http://www.pigskinheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34269

whiskeyrbl
03-13-2006, 01:08 PM

Well the other WR David Givens said he was not impressed with our offer of 5 yrs. $18.5 Mil. he is wanting 5 years / #25 Mil.I think you have to look at it as the Texans are trying to get more bang for the Buck.If we didn't have so many holes to fill we could probably sign a Givens to that kind of money.I think with Walter you are getting a player that when out there gives everything on every play,and is a Jurovicious type reciever.

Kaiser Toro
03-13-2006, 01:21 PM
The wiriting on the wall is becomng quite clear in my opinion that Bush is the choice for RB/WR. AJ #1, Walter #3a, Armstrong #3b and Mathis at #4.

I would not at all be surprised if we reach for McNeal in the 4th-5th round now for WR/QB. I smell hybrids having plays drawn for them in the playbook.

whiskeyrbl
03-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Prospect Profiles

Kevin Walter
Position: Wide Receiver
College: Eastern Michigan
Height: 6-3
Weight: 221
Hometown: Libertyville, Ill.

Career Notes | Agility | High School | Personal | Stats

ANALYSIS
Positives: Tireless worker with a fearless attitude … Adjusts smoothly to the off-target throws … Has the burst needed to gain separation after the catch … Does not shy away from the crowd, using his hands well to force his way through traffic … Plants and drives sharply on deep routes … Excels at coming across the middle for hitch and screen passes, gaining a good portion of his yardage after the catch thanks to his array of spin moves and fluid hip swerve … Can create space underneath and knows how to drive towards the sidelines in clock management … Flashes to the ball with his hands properly extended and never hesitates going over the middle for the ball … Shows the athletic ability and toughness to adjust to the ball and take it away from the defender … Also excels as a gunner on special teams.
Negatives: Lacks second-level speed to accelerate deep (not a fast-twitch runner) … Slow to engage defenders blocking for the running game … More of a straight-line runner with adequate hip roll … More of a shield blocker in pass protection who struggles to stay with his man … While he can elude after the catch, he will generally go down from the initial hit.

CAREER NOTES
Three-year starter who is regarded as the premier receiver in the Mid-American Conference … Uses his size to his advantage when combating defenders for the ball in traffic … Started 33 of 44 games for EMU, shattering the school's career records with 211 receptions for 2,838 yards (13.5 avg) and 20 touchdowns, topping the previous marks of 135 catches by Savon Edwards (1994-97), 2,043 yards by Jermaine Sheffield (1997-99) and 14 scores by both Steve Clay (1992-95) and Sheffield … Has made at least one catch in his last 34 games.
source www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/walterkevin

Kaiser Toro
03-13-2006, 04:01 PM
I'll take him if he comes as advertised for the amoutn we paid under a 102 million cap:

Positives: Tireless worker with a fearless attitude … Adjusts smoothly to the off-target throws … Has the burst needed to gain separation after the catch … Does not shy away from the crowd, using his hands well to force his way through traffic … Plants and drives sharply on deep routes … Excels at coming across the middle for hitch and screen passes, gaining a good portion of his yardage after the catch thanks to his array of spin moves and fluid hip swerve … Can create space underneath and knows how to drive towards the sidelines in clock management … Flashes to the ball with his hands properly extended and never hesitates going over the middle for the ball … Shows the athletic ability and toughness to adjust to the ball and take it away from the defender … Also excels as a gunner on special teams.

TexanFan881
03-13-2006, 04:07 PM
I still am not too high on him, I don't think he could beat out Mathis or Armstrong to be our #2. I guess I'll have to wait to see him though :thumbup

Texans34Life
03-13-2006, 04:24 PM
I'll take him if he comes as advertised for the amoutn we paid under a 102 million cap:

Sorry KT, but I didn't like these 3 points from the negatives:

Negatives: Slow to engage defenders blocking for the running game … More of a shield blocker in pass protection who struggles to stay with his man … While he can elude after the catch, he will generally go down from the initial hit.

chuckm
03-13-2006, 04:25 PM
he has redzone height ....

Kaiser Toro
03-13-2006, 04:30 PM
Sorry KT, but I didn't like these 3 points from the negatives:

Negatives: Slow to engage defenders blocking for the running game … More of a shield blocker in pass protection who struggles to stay with his man … While he can elude after the catch, he will generally go down from the initial hit.

On these three negatives I do not like them, but I will trust that the new blocking scheme (Kubiak twist on the ZB) can shield these deficincies or per the tape the staff feels like they can teach technique that fits this player.

texan279
03-13-2006, 04:35 PM
I read on the Bengal's MB that he dropped 11 out of 30 balls thrown to him last season, don't know if it's true or not, so take it for what it's worth...

aj.
03-13-2006, 08:36 PM
According to stats.com he had 29 targets, 19 receptions, 1 drop, and a 48% first down rate -- fwiw.

Porky
03-13-2006, 09:02 PM
I read on the Bengal's MB that he dropped 11 out of 30 balls thrown to him last season, don't know if it's true or not, so take it for what it's worth...

He didn't drop 11 balls. He had 30 thrown to him, and caught 19. He dropped one. The others didn't count as drops. It seems the Bengals board has about as much insight on WR's and this board does about the offensive line.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
03-13-2006, 10:29 PM
On these three negatives I do not like them, but I will trust that the new blocking scheme (Kubiak twist on the ZB) can shield these deficincies or per the tape the staff feels like they can teach technique that fits this player.

They always have to write something for a player to work on. These were the comments before he was drafted and before he had his proday at Northwestern. I watched most of his games this year and last year. He made several Key blocks on players downfield to open extra yards for Rudi Johnson and TJ running down the sidline amongst others in special teams.

A player that loves the game and has determination to be a #1 WR someday has to take all the opportunities he can and be the best he can at it. When that time comes in a game and your number is called, that is when it all counts and what you do with it at that time, your time to shine. He did just that anytime his number was called.

He will be your #2 and with AJ on one side, Kevin on the other, and a slot, big TE.... OH YEAH OFFENSE!!!

You will have a fun year

mexican_texan
03-13-2006, 11:47 PM
past 2 days on the MB summed up. All this talk of signings only make me less patient for the season to begin.

Wild.Bill
03-13-2006, 11:51 PM
I didn't bother to read everything on here, did we actually sign him?

Kaiser Toro
03-13-2006, 11:52 PM
They always have to write something for a player to work on. These were the comments before he was drafted and before he had his proday at Northwestern. I watched most of his games this year and last year. He made several Key blocks on players downfield to open extra yards for Rudi Johnson and TJ running down the sidline amongst others in special teams.

A player that loves the game and has determination to be a #1 WR someday has to take all the opportunities he can and be the best he can at it. When that time comes in a game and your number is called, that is when it all counts and what you do with it at that time, your time to shine. He did just that anytime his number was called.

He will be your #2 and with AJ on one side, Kevin on the other, and a slot, big TE.... OH YEAH OFFENSE!!!

You will have a fun year

I need a post check on page 4 for post #79. Was the outed quote pro Walter or anti Walter?

TexansTrueFan
03-13-2006, 11:53 PM
i like what this staff has done so far with free agency, better than the capers era did.

mexican_texan
03-13-2006, 11:58 PM
i like what this staff has done so far with free agency, better than the capers era did.
That name must not be mentioned here unless we play the Dolphins. From now on, his name is He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named or You-Know-Who. He caused much pain.

TexansTrueFan
03-14-2006, 12:15 AM
That name must not be mentioned here unless we play the Dolphins. From now on, his name is He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named or You-Know-Who. He caused much pain.

aww if u forget about history its likely to repeat itself, better not to forget !

Big B Texan Fan
03-14-2006, 03:04 AM
Also said that Given rejected Houston offer...
wouldn't you if carr was the qb

Malloy
03-14-2006, 03:45 AM
I need a post check on page 4 for post #79. Was the outed quote pro Walter or anti Walter?

I think som people missed the fact that it was a quote :)

SmokinTexans420
03-14-2006, 04:05 AM
I wouldnt be completely against this, but I believe that RB is going to be an amazing #2 as well as an every other series tail back! Imagine the possibilities with AJ#1 RB#2 Carr J.Putz J.mathis#3
J.Cook FB
D.Davis RB
I cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coach C.
03-14-2006, 06:47 AM
Smokin your idea is cool, but wouldnt RB more than likely be the back in a three reciever set. That way it keeps the safeties and LBs honest because the dumpoff or shallow curl could turn into a touchdown. I would think Mathis is our number 2 and RB will lineup in the slot often.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
03-14-2006, 11:14 AM
Walter signed a four-year contract in Houston that calls for $2.5 million of the $6.4 million to be guaranteed, according to a league source. The Texans no doubt feel the guaranteed money is the poison pill and is going to deter the Bengals from matching the offer by next Monday. He gets $2 million up front and $250,000 each in the last two years of the deal. Not bad for a guy with 30 career catches in three seasons.

But the salary cap hit for 2006 is reportedly just $1 million, only about $300,000 more than what they budgeted for Walter, and that could be workable for the Bengals. It’s believed their hit on safety Dexter Jackson was only about $2 million. Since it’s believed they can get Martin at a reasonable rate, Jackson, Walter and Martin could all fit at numbers the Bengals want.

What they decide to do on Walter could also be an indication of what they think No. 3 receiver Chris Henry’s availability will be as he faces jail time and a league suspension stemming from gun charges.

“If there wasn’t a situation with Chris Henry, this would be a no-brainer; they wouldn’t match,” said Cliff Brady, Walter’s agent. “I’m sure there is a little bit of buzz around the Bengals about what to do with this one.”

With the Texans paying Walter No. 3 receiver money and the No. 2 position wide open, the question has to be how the Bengals are going to use him if Henry isn’t available. Walter is one of the team's best special teams players, but if the Bengals project Tab Perry ahead of Walter on the depth chart at No. 3, then Brady doesn’t see a match for what would be a No. 4 receiver.

“Kevin just wants an opportunity to go catch some balls,” Brady said. “He loves it in Cincinnati, but they’ve got a lot of receivers.”

dirty steve
03-14-2006, 11:21 AM

so givens would come here if the "guarantee" was made to draft VY by kubes?

Maddict5
03-14-2006, 11:22 AM

thank you. i would've been lost following this thread if it wasn't for that insightful, well-thought comment. someday i hope to have as much football knowledge as you

texan279
03-15-2006, 01:21 AM
I posted a question about Walter on the Bengal's MB and got this response...

Walter was actually quite reliable last year and I at least was impressed by him. He was the 4th WR, but he did get some work as #3 mainly when T.J. was injured. He definitely seemed like money to me on short to medium passes on third downs. He lead the team in receiving in the playoff game (though Jon Kitna definitely failed to get the ball to Chad and T.J. as much as he should have). I think he'll be a good reliable target for you guys, but I wouldn't expect him to crack the #2 spot.

My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that we won't match the offer. Walter, though he was a pleasant surprise as I said above, is replaceable-- I get the impression that the Bengals staff agrees with me in that Tab Perry is ready for an increased role, and we'll keep The Squirrel (see below), which still gives us two workable #3 and #4 guys... and if Henry won't be coming back, we can target a WR in the draft (or a TE...). We should be using this money to keep upgrading the defense.

As for Kelley Washington, I think he will remain a Bengal. A team has to give up a 3rd round draft choice to get him, which is a lot more valuable than the 7th rounder the Texans will be giving us for Walter.

Dunta_23
03-17-2006, 08:17 PM
Bengals | Team not likely to match offer sheet
Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:33:29 -0800

Geoff Hobson, of Bengals.com, reports the Cincinnati Bengals are not likely to match the offer sheet given to WR Kevin Walter by the Houston Texans. The Bengals have to make a decision this weekend.

texan279
03-17-2006, 08:18 PM
I'm thinking if they were going to match, they would have done it by now.

Koolbrz
03-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Let's see we need a #2 WR and we go out and get a #4. Great move CC!! Bengals will not match the offer.

texan279
03-17-2006, 08:26 PM
Let's see we need a #2 WR and we go out and get a #4. Great move CC!! Bengals will not match the offer.

I thought the same thing when I heard about the offer we tendered him, but then I realized he played behind Chad Johnson, TJ Houshmandzadeh, and Chris Henry. Not a shabby core of WR's there, which is probably one reason they won't match the offer. He was a #4 there, would probably be a #3 here.

TexanFan881
03-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Getting a #4 WR from the Bengals just solved our huge hole at the WR department :sarcasm:

TexanSam
03-17-2006, 08:44 PM
I still am not too high on him, I don't think he could beat out Mathis or Armstrong to be our #2. I guess I'll have to wait to see him though :thumbup

I don't think Walter (if the Bengals don't match), Mathis, or Armstrong will be our #2. If the Texans don't get Burleson, we'll go after someone else. I do believe we'll sign a WR that we've all heard of this offseason. Who it is has yet to be seen, but I think we'll get someone who is proven.

tulexan
03-17-2006, 08:54 PM
We'll go after this guy

http://www.sdhoc.com/main/awards/2005stars/September2005/Image00089590

TexanFan881
03-17-2006, 08:56 PM
I don't think Walter (if the Bengals don't match), Mathis, or Armstrong will be our #2. If the Texans don't get Burleson, we'll go after someone else. I do believe we'll sign a WR that we've all heard of this offseason. Who it is has yet to be seen, but I think we'll get someone who is proven.

I really hope your right. :redtowel:

TexanSam
03-17-2006, 09:00 PM
We'll go after this guy

No. Other teams will go after that guy. Unfortuantely they won't catch him. He'll be scoring plenty of Texans touchdowns, much to the ire of other teams.

dat_boy_yec
03-17-2006, 09:02 PM
We'll go after this guy

http://www.sdhoc.com/main/awards/2005stars/September2005/Image00089590

No way we'll never catch him. Doesn't he run like a 4.28 40 damn that's too fast. lol. We should go after somebody slower:um: :stooges:

run-david-run
03-18-2006, 01:24 AM
Yep, we all found out this season how getting "younger and faster" improves the team!

Carr Bombed
03-18-2006, 01:31 AM
Yep, we all found out this season how getting "younger and faster" improves the team!

It will in the long run, Glenn and Sharper might have helped us to a better record last year, but they weren't part of any long term plan and were simply helping to fill a 53 man roster on a expansion team that was going though the process of overturning its roster. Letting them go allows or forces us to find a more permanent solution. As soon as our young guys grow up we'll be a better team.

run-david-run
03-18-2006, 01:37 AM
It will in the long run, Glenn and Sharper might have helped us to a better record last year, but they weren't part of any long term plan and were simply helping to fill a 53 man roster on a expansion team that was going though the process of overturning its roster. Letting them go allows or forces us to find a more permanent solution. As soon as our young guys grow up we'll be a better team.
Yeah, that was mostly just a dig at the "Reggie is saviour, he walks on water" people. Pretty soon Im gonna have to make a VY joke to balance it out. It was nice to hear some logic on the MB, quite rare.

Carr Bombed
03-18-2006, 01:40 AM
Yeah, that was mostly just a dig at the "Reggie is saviour, he walks on water" people.

Thats fine, lately I've tried to distance myself from the whole situation, its become to much of a firestorm, kinda like trying to talk politics at a dinner party. I'm at the point where I don't give a crap what the texans do in the draft and just hope it all works out in the end.

Carr Bombed
03-18-2006, 01:51 AM
Sharper was cut from his second team in two years and Glenn was a nickleback in dallas, by the time we get things turned around both would be too old and we would be stuck inserting yound guys down the road. Might as well do that now so the can learn, grow, and form new leadership (Dunta?) so this team can hit on all cylinders in a few years.

Carr Bombed
03-18-2006, 02:09 AM
Sharper played in Seattle this past year, and Glenn played well but you are right about New Leadership. My arguement is that none of the guys stepped up last year and it was obvious because of a last of Senior Leadership. Dunta has to step up. He should have been a rookie Pro-Bowler and when he playes you see something special. He has to feed this off on the team and get this thing going! Dunta is going to be our next leader on defense, you can see it in his interviews and when he's on the field,(Glenn took him under his wing and kinda made him his pet project and alot of Glenn rubbed off on him). He always looked disgusted after losing game after game while others looked content, but he is still young and still made mistakes, which there isn't a problem with that, like I said hes young. As he gets older he will only get better and will take on the role as a team leader.

Koolbrz
03-18-2006, 02:39 AM
I thought the same thing when I heard about the offer we tendered him, but then I realized he played behind Chad Johnson, TJ Houshmandzadeh, and Chris Henry. Not a shabby core of WR's there, which is probably one reason they won't match the offer. He was a #4 there, would probably be a #3 here.

That still leaves a hole at the #2 spot. Would love to pick up Burleson, but that is not up to me.

whiskeyrbl
03-18-2006, 02:09 PM
Has anyone heard any news or updates on the Bengals on what they plan to do?

wags
03-18-2006, 02:17 PM
Has anyone heard any news or updates on the Bengals on what they plan to do?

The Bengals are expected to not match the offer according to a kffl blurb.

dirty steve
03-18-2006, 02:18 PM
Bengals | Team not likely to match offer sheet
Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:33:29 -0800

Geoff Hobson, of Bengals.com, reports the Cincinnati Bengals are not likely to match the offer sheet given to WR Kevin Walter by the Houston Texans. The Bengals have to make a decision this weekend.

bigTEXan8
03-18-2006, 02:19 PM
Hopefully Walter can contribute in Kubiak's system.

TexanFan881
03-18-2006, 04:41 PM
Texans | Team declines to match Walter's offer sheet
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 13:29:29 -0800

Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports the Cincinnati Bengals have declined to match to offer sheet made by the Houston Texans to restricted free agent WR Kevin Walter. He signed an offer sheet on a four-year, $6.4 million contract with the Texans. The Texans will owe the Bengals a seventh-round draft pick as compensation.

Bye bye seventh round pick :)

keyfro
03-18-2006, 04:43 PM
hey atleast we know that our seventh round pick will make the team this year...haha...we now have atleast decent competition for the number 2 reciever if nate burleson isn't signed

Dunta_23
03-18-2006, 04:46 PM
I think its a great move for a 7th round pick...He will be the #3 or 4 regardless

bckey
03-18-2006, 04:48 PM
This is a sound signing. Giving up a 7th for Walters and signing him at a cheap rate is great. I think this guy will be one of the fan favorites in Houston like McCaffrey was in Denver.

bigTEXan8
03-18-2006, 04:48 PM
hey atleast we know that our seventh round pick will make the team this year...haha...we now have atleast decent competition for the number 2 reciever if nate burleson isn't signed

I wouldn't call Walter compensation to fill the #2 spot, if we don't get Burleson, but maybe he'll be able to contribute. Here's something I haven't seen anyone mention though, maybe Armstrong is going to be the #2 guy if the Texans don't pick-up a solid #2 guy. Just throwing it out there.

TexanFan881
03-18-2006, 04:57 PM
If we don't sign anyone else at WR I think Armstrong deserves the spot more than the other WR's on our team.

Mightymike
03-18-2006, 05:08 PM
If we don't sign anyone else at WR I think Armstrong deserves the spot more than the other WR's on our team.

i agree, I think if we draft bush and sign putzier, our whole offense will be so much better as a whole and if armstrong isn't good enough for our #2 reciever we can adress it next year with guys like Clavin Johnson, Dwayne Jarrett

TexanFan881
03-18-2006, 05:10 PM
Bengals | M. Lewis comments about letting K. Walter go
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 13:55:33 -0800

Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis had the following comments about the team's decision not to match the Houston Texans offer sheet to WR Kevin Walter: "Kevin has been a fine player for us, and he deserves the opportunity he'll get in Houston to be a starting receiver," Lewis said. "But as we build our roster for the upcoming season, we believe it's in the best interest of our team to allocate these funds to another position."

Hopefully he won't have to start for us and we'll bring in someone else but he will get a chance. The next step is signing Burleson...:)

texman8
03-18-2006, 06:40 PM

Since AJ and JMathis are all Texans have at WR, (now Walter)...Armstrong should get first shot at #2....He has good hands, but supposedly he runs poor routes.

Ibar_Harry
03-18-2006, 06:51 PM
Don't forget Starling who is in the NFLE. If we get Burl, it would look like some one will be released. I want to see people working out on their receiving skills with Carr starting next week. The new people are going to have to get accustomed to receiving the missles. Goooo TEXAAAAANS.....

Wolfiegrrl
03-18-2006, 07:17 PM
I don't know that Starling is going to make it. He's listed on the Rhein Fire's practice squad. :confused:

keyfro
03-18-2006, 08:06 PM
has anyone thought that derick armstrong and kendrick starling might not be as good as we think...we see them only during the pre-season and they really don't do a whole lot to impress then...if starling can't even start in NFLE then maybe it's time we looked at some other receivers

TexanFan881
03-18-2006, 10:30 PM
I'm not that impressed with Starling but I guess maybe Armstrong isn't as good as we think and he's not playing for a reason...

Maddict5
03-18-2006, 11:10 PM
just saw this on espn..

From the outset, it seemed, Cincinnati had no intention of matching the offer sheet. Walter was, at best, the No. 4 wide receiver on the Bengals' roster, and the team was not going to overspend to retain him. In fact, many teams around the league were stunned by the size of the offer sheet, especially for a young wideout who has not played very much.

Wild.Bill
03-18-2006, 11:24 PM
I don't believe the Texans signed him to be our saviour or the #2 receiver on this team. Unless I'm mistaken, we're getting pretty thin at receiver and need to add some personnel to our staff. Walters will be a role player just like he was in Cincinnati.

Hardcore Texan
03-19-2006, 01:35 AM
just saw this on espn..

Well, let's hope he proves them wrong. How many players have been back ups, or a late round pick, or yada yada yada just waiting for a opportunity. Maybe this will be his time to shine and prove alot of people wrong ( a la Drew Brees). I am willing to see how it plays out.

PapaL
03-19-2006, 01:55 AM
But if I am not mistaken, I believe Drew Brees was taken in the first round by the chargers just behind LT.

1st Pick, 2nd Round. Had a few great years in Purdue. Broke some records. Not exactly a slouch in college. Even had some Heisman talk before a streak of bad games.

Hardcore Texan
03-19-2006, 01:41 PM
I just meant there was talk that Brees wasn't cutting the mustard and was going to be ousted, the Chargers even spent another pick on Rivers. Mid-rounders like Zack Thomas turn into top notch guys. And lots of current starters just needed the opportunity to show what they could do, wasn't Tom Brady a back-up? If I remember correctly, my memory is fuzzy this morning/noon. THere are tons of other examples that aren't popping into my mind right now.

I think we are getting at the same point, he was backing up some great receivers in Cincinati. Just because he was a #4 or so there, doesn't mean he can't compete for #2 or #3 spot here. We are not as deep at WR as the Bungals. I really think he can have much greater success with us.

:)

mancunian
03-19-2006, 02:57 PM
I just meant there was talk that Brees wasn't cutting the mustard and was going to be outsted, the Chargers even spent another pick on Rivers. Mid-rounders like Zack Thomas turn into top notch guys. And lots of current starters just needed the opportunity to show what they could do, wasn't Tom Brady a back-up? If I remember correctly, my memory is fuzzy this morning/noon. THere are tons of other examples that aren't popping into my mind right now.

I think we are getting at the same point, he was backing up some great receivers in Cincinati. Just because he was a #4 or so their, doesn't mean he can't compete for #2 or #3 spot here. We are not as deep at WR as the Bungals. I really think he can have much greater success with us.

Your right mate, later round picks can blossom - wasn't Davis a 4th round pick as well? The Bengals Rudi Johnson was also a 4th rounder and look how he turned out.

Tom Brady was a 6th Round Pick:hmmm: .....

Crazygomer
03-19-2006, 06:18 PM
This is not a negative post on Kevin Walter!

I was just wondering what the buzz was about?

I saw that we signed him to a nice contract.

ESPN said that he has been in the league for 3 seasons and has not even gone over 300 yards in his career. Is there something that I'm not aware of?

Thanks

thunderkyss
03-19-2006, 08:39 PM
I think we are getting at the same point, he was backing up some great receivers in Cincinati. Just because he was a #4 or so their, doesn't mean he can't compete for #2 or #3 spot here. We are not as deep at WR as the Bungals. I really think he can have much greater success with us.

I know, there are maybe another dozen or so WRs out there that are better than what we've seen, playing at the #3/4 spot. Joe Horn, is the guy I think about....... not even Drafted........ but a #1 reciever no less, multiple Pro Bowls...... He was back up to the likes of Eddie Kennison, and someone else I can't even remember in Kansas City.

Rod Smith also went undrafted........... & I think he's done OK in this league.

There really is sooooo much talent out their, I wonder why more of those guys don't stick their neck out, and demand more playing time, or say no to some of these multi year contracts, that make them carreer backups.

Of course, they need to work their buts off like Joe Horn, and Rod Smith did. So when they get their opportunity, they take full advantage of it.

Oh yeah, how could I forget....... Kurt Warner... not a WR, but a great story.

Bearfan Blue and Orange
03-19-2006, 11:37 PM
This is not a negative post on Kevin Walter!

I was just wondering what the buzz was about?

I saw that we signed him to a nice contract.

ESPN said that he has been in the league for 3 seasons and has not even gone over 300 yards in his career. Is there something that I'm not aware of?

Thanks

You will see soon enough. This guy has a work ethic that is AWESOME. He has great hands, big, tall WR. He only "dropped" 1 pass last season.

He is one of the best kept secrets in the NFL. He has just had the numbers stacked against him. First when he was drafted by NY in the 7th round and was 1 of 9 WR fighting for 4 spots and three locked already with Hilliard, Toomer, and Carter. he was fortunately waived right away, not lasting more than 24 hours on the waiver wire picked up by Bengals and moved from the practice squad to the 53 man roster within weeks of being signed.

He is a player that TRUELY LOVES THE GAME and is willing to do anything for his team to WIN. That includes being a PROFESSIONAL and waiting for his nuber to be called whenever that may be. He was their special teams ACE.

I remember watching the Monday night game agains Denver and Champ Bailey (FAST FAST) lined up on Kevin as a gunner for a punt by cinci and Kevin BLEW past Champ. The next time Kevin lined up There was Champ... and another to beat up on Kevin. He is always one of the first players down field in the mix.

When his number was called with the Bengals, he produced. Almost all of his catches moved the chains for a first down and more.

You are going to LOVE this guy. He will fight for #2, that is his character and work ethic. Did I mention he rund very tight routes ( a QB loves to know that his WR is going to be at a spot when he turns to check his route to be open.) and he is PHYSICAL and fights for the extra yards... and runs a 4.4 40

TexanFan881
03-19-2006, 11:46 PM
Sounds like a player that we can count on and that when on the field we can know he is giving us all he has. All we can ask for is that he does his very best, and that characteristic about him is very entriguing to me. Kevin has a lot of upside for our team.

Maddict5
03-20-2006, 09:14 AM
You will see soon enough. This guy has a work ethic that is AWESOME. He has great hands, big, tall WR. He only "dropped" 1 pass last season.

He is one of the best kept secrets in the NFL. He has just had the numbers stacked against him. First when he was drafted by NY in the 7th round and was 1 of 9 WR fighting for 4 spots and three locked already with Hilliard, Toomer, and Carter. he was fortunately waived right away, not lasting more than 24 hours on the waiver wire picked up by Bengals and moved from the practice squad to the 53 man roster within weeks of being signed.

He is a player that TRUELY LOVES THE GAME and is willing to do anything for his team to WIN. That includes being a PROFESSIONAL and waiting for his nuber to be called whenever that may be. He was their special teams ACE.

I remember watching the Monday night game agains Denver and Champ Bailey (FAST FAST) lined up on Kevin as a gunner for a punt by cinci and Kevin BLEW past Champ. The next time Kevin lined up There was Champ... and another to beat up on Kevin. He is always one of the first players down field in the mix.

When his number was called with the Bengals, he produced. Almost all of his catches moved the chains for a first down and more.

You are going to LOVE this guy. He will fight for #2, that is his character and work ethic. Did I mention he rund very tight routes ( a QB loves to know that his WR is going to be at a spot when he turns to check his route to be open.) and he is PHYSICAL and fights for the extra yards... and runs a 4.4 40

ok lets not get too excited yet and the quickest ive seen anywhere he runs is a high 4.5-4.6

Bearfan Blue and Orange
03-20-2006, 09:28 AM
ok lets not get too excited yet and the quickest ive seen anywhere he runs is a high 4.5-4.6

That was out of college. On his Proday he was running a 4.45.

You can have the fastest guys on a team, but if they can't catch the ball, what does it do for you.

Do you know why Brett Favre is so good? His receivers that are successful run tight routes. Favre does not throw to a receiver, he throws to a spot where that receiver is suppose to be.

Carr has not had those option other than AJ and heck even the BEST WR has small chances when there are 3 guys blanketing you.

Your WR corps have improved. Now if Carr can get somone to block for 2.5 seconds, that would give him ample time to run through his reads before checking down or running for his life.

I say Texans should do like the Bears did when we had a high draft pick, we traded down twice and ended up with 2 late 1st round picks multiple 4 and 4th round picks. when rebuilding with a new coach and many holes to fill, it is about quantity versus quality. You draft a Reggie Bush when you are 1 player away from completing the puzzle, but if you could fill 3 holes with trading down Reggie Bush, doesn't that make sense and get you that much closer to the ultimate goal.

Aperfect example of what teams are doing now is modelilng the Patriots. No major superstar on the team, but several pieces of the puzzle that if one piece falls another can take his place.

If you put all your eggs (Bears do this) with Bush and he get hurt for some reason, where is your season. You will start sounding like the Chicago Cubs "Wait until Next Year"

Kaiser Toro
03-20-2006, 10:13 AM
For all of you who poo-poo on people that frame acquisitions and attritions and the DNA of the team on salary cap here is what Marvin Lewis had to say about them not matching an offer:

"Kevin has been a fine player for us, and he deserves the opportunity he'll get in Houston to be a starting receiver," Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said. "But as we build our roster for the upcoming season, we believe it's in the best interest of our team to allocate these funds to another position."

That is the sign of a mature HC that has a vision. Salary cap and the prodcut on the field are inextricably linked. I understand that this is a news flash for some.

http://www.whptv.com/sports/story.aspx?content_id=75EBDD9B-9DF4-4BAF-BD1D-0FD40E4E6DD2

bigTEXan8
03-20-2006, 10:44 AM
For all of you who poo-poo on people that frame acquisitions and attritions and the DNA of the team on salary cap here is what Marvin Lewis had to say about them not matching an offer:

"Kevin has been a fine player for us, and he deserves the opportunity he'll get in Houston to be a starting receiver," Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said. "But as we build our roster for the upcoming season, we believe it's in the best interest of our team to allocate these funds to another position."

That is the sign of a mature HC that has a vision. Salary cap and the prodcut on the field are inextricably linked. I understand that this is a news flash for some.

http://www.whptv.com/sports/story.aspx?content_id=75EBDD9B-9DF4-4BAF-BD1D-0FD40E4E6DD2

Marvin Lewis is a stud for a coach. I'm glad he's got such good things to say about Walter. Although I doubt he's gonna say something like, "Walter sucks."