PDA

View Full Version : Saints need to go to LA & NFL needs to rebuild Dome

Eyeguy
03-01-2006, 06:31 PM
I find it distatesful that New Orleans is considering paying millions of dollars to rebuild the Super Dome to insure they keep the Saints. As someone who lost their beloved Oilers, I can understand and relate to the fans not wanting to lose their team.
However, the city can not support an NFL team and pay to rebuild the Dome. Their tax base and season ticket holders have been spread all over the country. They can't even build housing for the tempoary workers who are trying to start rebuilding.

Prososal:

The NFL buys the Saints and moves them to LA
This helps with renegoations on their TV deals now that they have one of largest markets in the country back in the fold.
Each owner benifts because they own a part of that team.

In return with some of that new money:

NFL pays to build the best football stadium in the country in N.O. and agrees to hold next 10 avalible Super Bowls in N.O.
The economic impact of those 10 Super Bowls will be much greater that any single NFL team.
The NFL further agrees at some point to expand and that the future expantion will include New Orleans. No city gets an expansion team before New Orleans.

With the best stadium in the country they re-secure the Sugar Bowl and insure that N.O. becomes a vacation destination (#1 industry prior to storm was visitors) as quickley as possible.

My friends from the N.O. who lived in Houston before the storm don't like the idea. The people who lived there before and want to go home now are willing to discuss any ideas.
The best thing for the people of N.O. and the country is to get N.O. back to where it was before the storm. The NFL needs to help! Even if they don't take the Saints, they need to help rebuild the Dome and give them as many Super Bowls as possible. The NFL talks about paying to build a stadium in LA, why don't they spend that money on the Super Dome?
The parties involved need to do something now. If the Saints fail over the next 2 years like they did last year, the city will end up with nothing, no team or decent stadium. It's not like the Saint we a large market team before the storm.

Let me know what ya think and thanks for reading.

tulexan
03-01-2006, 06:34 PM
The Dome isn't being rebuilt only for the Saints. There are a lot of conventions and other major annual events that are held there.

Also, FEMA and the NFL are paying for a lot of the rebuilding.

Double Barrel
03-01-2006, 07:59 PM
No offense to NOLA citizens, because I wish things were different...but are the current plans to just rebuild the city in the bowl again?

If 75% of the structures are going to remain below sea level, and "protected" by a completely inadequate levee system controlled by a morally bankrupt political system, I just don't see how the NFL should have to pay anything. Pro football is a business, plain and simple. The object of business is profit, and if a city cannot support a team, then hard decisions have to be made to do what is necessary. The NFL is not a government handout, nor should they be, IMO.

The cold, hard reality is that it is not prudent to spend hundreds of billions of dollars to rebuild a city that will most likely suffer the same fate again. It won't be a matter of "if", but "when". Either bring the city up to modern standards by raising the land to be above sea level or just accept the fact that a natural disaster really did a job of destroying a great town.

I hate to say it, but just making NOLA like it was pre-Katrina is the definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Eyeguy
03-01-2006, 08:16 PM
No offense to NOLA citizens, because I wish things were different...but are the current plans to just rebuild the city in the bowl again?

If 75% of the structures are going to remain below sea level, and "protected" by a completely inadequate levee system controlled by a morally bankrupt political system, I just don't see how the NFL should have to pay anything. Pro football is a business, plain and simple. The object of business is profit, and if a city cannot support a team, then hard decisions have to be made to do what is necessary. The NFL is not a government handout, nor should they be, IMO.

The cold, hard reality is that it is not prudent to spend hundreds of billions of dollars to rebuild a city that will most likely suffer the same fate again. It won't be a matter of "if", but "when". Either bring the city up to modern standards by raising the land to be above sea level or just accept the fact that a natural disaster really did a job of destroying a great town.

I hate to say it, but just making NOLA like it was pre-Katrina is the definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Well said.
Galveston new home construction must be 10ft above sea level. My not N.O.? Ultimatly I think they lose Saints.

LikeABoss
03-01-2006, 08:28 PM
they (NFL) need to help rebuild the Dome

The NFL to donate $20 million to superdome repairs:

http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/113877809275690.xml

U.S. Federal Government to give $91 million for Superdome repairs:

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/washington/index.ssf?/base/news-1/114119630217810.xml

FEMA and Superdome insurance will cover the rest of the repairs.

http://images.radcity.net/5346/1307566.jpg

Do I need to continue any further?

Doesn't matter cause that is all i'm going to say.

Corrosion
03-01-2006, 09:04 PM
We had several conversations about re-building NO and the prospect of the Saints relocating ....

I really dont think that NO is going to be capable of supporting an NFL franchise long term . They may stay for a few more seasons but in the long run I see them moving to either San Antonio or LA .
I think SA deserves a team over LA ....since LA has failed to retain not one but at least two teams in the past couple of decades its time the NFL forgets about LA . The Rams fled LA , as did the Raiders after a short stay ..... People in LA just wont support a team unless its full of marqee names and or a Champoinship calubur team every season . Un-like the NBA there are no court-side seats for star's to sit in and get their TV time ....Just imagine a team that has lost as much as the Texans playing in LA .... Stadium would be near empty .....

As for re-building LA , I think you are right on the money DB .... No sense re-building the place with government funds with their corrupt leadership and the fact that it doesnt guarantee it wont happen again .

As for raising the land to be above sea level , I think thats a near impossible task as it would require a complete rebuild of all city infrastructure .... NO is at an avg of 8 ft below sea lvl and we are talking about a surface area of 180.6 square miles. Thats a lot of roads , schools and other municipal structures to remove and replace not to mention homes , businesses and historical sites .

The only alternative is to build an impenetrable levee system and a better sytem of removing water from the bowl .... Most of the pumps are below sea level and were inundated in the flood rendering them useless ....These pumps are in the area of 80 years old . An improved levee system and improved pumps dont guarantee the city wont be devistated again .

Both alternatives would cost tax payers across the country a fortune .....Should we be held responsible for NOLA's destruction and foot the bill to re-build the place ? I dont like that idea one bit .

Imagine trying to get flood or wind damage insurance there .....

By the way there was a special run last night on the History Channel (Channel 58 on Time Warner) about the devistation in NO from Katrina .... It was pretty graphic and showed the dead floating in the city streets among other things .... I expect it to be re-run several times over the next couple weeks .... take a look if you get the chance.

Here's a link to a map of and an incredible amount of information about NOLA

http://www.city-data.com/city/New-Orleans-Louisiana.html

Corrosion
03-01-2006, 09:15 PM
The NFL to donate $20 million to superdome repairs:

http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/113877809275690.xml

U.S. Federal Government to give $91 million for Superdome repairs:

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/washington/index.ssf?/base/news-1/114119630217810.xml

FEMA and Superdome insurance will cover the rest of the repairs.

http://images.radcity.net/5346/1307566.jpg

Do I need to continue any further?

Doesn't matter cause that is all i'm going to say.

So you approve of our government throwing away $403Million ?? Not to mention the billions of dollars that private insurance is paying out . Those insurance claims will affect your policies in the long run .

Sounds like throwing good money after bad if you ask me .

Before they re-build the place they need to ensure that it wont happen again EVER

Long-Spurs-Texan
03-02-2006, 09:57 AM
What's pitiful about the Saints situation is the millions that the State was giving Benson to stay before Katrina. It's downright socio-economically ridiculous to continue this dance.