PDA

View Full Version : Texans' Cuts

aj.
02-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Per SportsRadio 610 a few minutes ago. No more details.

tulexan
02-28-2006, 06:14 PM
interesting. could Ragone finally move up to #2? and is Hollings being cleared out for Reggie Bush?

PapaL
02-28-2006, 06:18 PM
It's on the main page:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=2426

Porky
02-28-2006, 06:30 PM
interesting. could Ragone finally move up to #2? and is Hollings being cleared out for Reggie Bush?

I'm surprised about Banks at least cutting him this early.

Several things could be read into this. Ragone moving to #2. Making room for VY, and/or maybe they will sign Tim Couch maybe?

As far as Hollings goes, you could read it as making room for Bush, or just that he was yet another Casserly draft bust in the second/third rounds, that he has to finally come clean on.

Not surprised at all on Coleman. After the lackluster effort last yr, good bye and good riddance.

Vinny
02-28-2006, 06:34 PM
No way we roll into 06 with Ragone as QB2....wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

zeplin
02-28-2006, 06:35 PM
I'm surprised about Banks at least cutting him this early.

Several things could be read into this. Ragone moving to #2. Making room for VY, and/or maybe they will sign Tim Couch maybe?

As far as Hollings goes, you could read it as making room for Bush, or just that he was yet another Casserly draft bust in the second/third rounds, that he has to finally come clean on.

Not surprised at all on Coleman. After the lackluster effort last yr, good bye and good riddance.

Forget VY he will never get here. Tony Banks was never going to stay he's not very good and Kubiak saw that befor he ever got here. We will be able to find a good number 2 in FA.
As far as Bush goes we will not know until draft day.

Vinny
02-28-2006, 06:39 PM
Tommy Maddux or Brian Griesie? Who's your money on?

TEXANS84
02-28-2006, 06:40 PM
Hollings and Coleman was expected, Banks has kind of thrown me off guard.

YoungTexanFan
02-28-2006, 06:43 PM
Hollings and Coleman was expected, Banks has kind of thrown me off guard.

I expected Colemen and Banks, Hollings threw me off guard. Now that he is healthy, he will get a shot somehwere else and be just fine.

YoungTexanFan
02-28-2006, 06:43 PM

I'd go with: Tim Couch, Marucs Vick, Tommy Maddux...in that order.

Vinny
02-28-2006, 06:47 PM
I figure Maddux & Brian Griesie know the system already and hear both will likely get cut. Couch is a no go. Marcus Vick? You gotta be kidding me...no way McNair touches this dysfunction.

PapaL
02-28-2006, 06:52 PM
From what I've seen and heard from Steeler's fans, Maddux was not a good fit with a young QB. These are diehard, go to every practice and game type people. Obviously they were never in any meetings, but I value their word. Maddux didn't help Big Ben in any way. Maybe he's changed, but not the type of guy I would like around Carr. My 2 cents, take it for what its worth.

Porky
I figure Maddux & Brian Griesie know the system already. Couch is a no go. Marcus Vick? You gotta be kidding me...no way McNair touches this dysfunction.

Your probably right about Couch, but since they just worked him out, and a week later cut Banks, I kind of added 2+2, which if I am an Aggie, gives me 5. :yahoo:

Vinny
They already passed on Couch.

keyfro
as far as the cuts go i wasn't surprised by coleman...banks and hollings i am but oh well neither were ever going to start or make that much of an impact on this team...ragone might be the #2 guy...or this might be the year that the texans staff draft yet another QB...or maybe they're going after one of the veterans vinny mentioned...either way...coleman was gonna cost us a lot of money just to sit on the bench...no reason to keep him...won't be surprised if he winds up in dallas with glenn

CoachJim
02-28-2006, 06:54 PM

I dunno Vin, ya don't think Kubes thinks he can make him drop that other shoe?

Porky
02-28-2006, 06:55 PM
as far as the cuts go i wasn't surprised by coleman...banks and hollings i am but oh well neither were ever going to start or make that much of an impact on this team...ragone might be the #2 guy...or this might be the year that the texans staff draft yet another QB...or maybe they're going after one of the veterans vinny mentioned...either way...coleman was gonna cost us a lot of money just to sit on the bench...no reason to keep him...won't be surprised if he winds up in dallas with glenn

I won't be surprised if he is out of the league. If it's one thing Parcells demands, it 100% effort. Coleman laid a complete egg last year, and looked like he couldn't care less 90% of the time. I don't think Parcells will care for that attitude. Someone will probably give him another chance though, but I just will be shocked if it is Dallas.

Vinny
02-28-2006, 06:56 PM
I dunno Vin, ya don't think Kubes thinks he can make him drop that other shoe?That was my Vince Young blast o' the day.

Ragone is a RFA too isn't he?...so we only have one QB contracted right now?

TEXANS84
02-28-2006, 07:05 PM
That was my Vince Young blast o' the day.

Ragone is a RFA too isn't he?...so we only have one QB contracted right now?

Yep, Ragone is RFA. Things should get interesting here, especially with the labor talks shutting down today.

texan279
02-28-2006, 07:08 PM
So if I am figuring right which I am probably not, it'll save us about $1 million off the cap this season by cutting these 3...

cuppacoffee
02-28-2006, 07:12 PM

Maybe Miami will release Gus Frerotte. I think he would make a good backup to Carr. He signed a two year deal last year so probably won't happen. Depends on what they do with Rosenfels i suppose.

Maybe Kitna would like to try his luck here.

Griese sounds more likely.

Aussie
02-28-2006, 07:18 PM
Maybe Miami will release Gus Frerotte. I think he would make a good backup to Carr. He signed a two year deal last year so probably won't happen.

Griese sounds more likely.

Griese will garner more interest than being a backup qb on the texans!

cap1
02-28-2006, 07:25 PM
So if I am figuring right which I am probably not, it'll save us about $1 million off the cap this season by cutting these 3...

Can anyone confirm what the cap savings will be for cutting these guys?

Dr. Toro
02-28-2006, 07:27 PM
I'm calling for Josh McCown. I like local guys, I guess this brands me a homer. And the guy showed the ability to put up big numbers (alot of 300 yard games given the starts). I know he had Fitz, Boldin, a non-existent running game, and was playing from behind... but still, he showed the ability to not mess up a good thing and competence at the very least. He's young and has a big arm.

He'd be great as a backup to Carr and somebody to really push him.. we might be able to figure out if Carr is the problem. He'd be great as a 1-2 year guy while/if VY develops. So that's my Josh McCown tout for the day. He's an Ivan Drago doppelganger, which is more than a good thing (judging by his brethren in Drago looks Andrei Kirilenko).

rmartin65
02-28-2006, 07:29 PM
Symons might be on the roster now.

Texas
02-28-2006, 07:29 PM
All I can say about each one of them being released is ...Good.Good.Good

TMac48
02-28-2006, 07:32 PM
So do you guys think this means we will make a big push for Chris Hope or another safety in FA?

Dr. Toro
02-28-2006, 07:32 PM

Symons signed with the Bears and is in Berlin.

cap1
02-28-2006, 07:35 PM
Taken from: http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap.html

Player Name Signed Base Allocated Total 2006 Cap Figure
Thru Salary Bonus Pay
Banks, Tony 2006 $850,000 $406,720 $1,256,720
Hollings, Tony 2006 $460,000 $239,970 $699,970
Coleman, Marcus 2007 $1,785,000 $1,340,153 $3,125,153

Coleman in 2007 $2,100,000 $1,340,153 $3,440,153

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
These are my calculations:

So for Banks and Hollings we saved $850k and 460K. With a cap hit for both at $646,690 and a savings of $1.31 Million

Coleman we saved over 2 years 3.885 Million and took a cap hit of 2.68 Million this year.

Total Savings 4.75 Million and a Cap hit of Just under $3.327 Million this year.

bigTEXan8
02-28-2006, 07:39 PM

C'mon Vinny...Tommy Maddux? No!!! I'd say Griesie over him, even if Griesie was forced to throw left handed, still Griesie.

infantrycak
02-28-2006, 07:42 PM
I don't like the Hollings cut. No he has not shown anything in 3 years, but what could they have watched to review him--he had zero carries last year, 11 the year before (4.3 ypc) and 38 back in 2003. Why not carry him into camp and at least watch him in person before officially blowing off a #2?

keyfro
remember coleman is a parcells guy porky...parcells even gave him a kiss after the pre-season game...so don't count marcus out...i think he just didn't like the team after aaron glenn was released...dallas is his home town...probably wants to retire at home with glenn no big deal...i don't see him signing anywhere else...if dallas doesn't want him and they need a FS then he'll probably retire

as far as the quarterback position and the runningback position...you know i think FA will show us a lot about the upcoming draft...i think after last years horrible offseason...casserly has learned you can't simply hope for your guy to be there when you pick like he did with troy williamson...in this case they know exactly who they can get with the #1 pick but with trades and the other rounds there is no garentee

Vinny
C'mon Vinny...Tommy Maddux? No!!! I'd say Griesie over him, even if Griesie was forced to throw left handed, still Griesie. Just naming guys with experience in Kubiaks system. Griesie could push Carr to start, so I'd prefer someone like him if he gets the door.

MightyTExan
02-28-2006, 07:44 PM
I'd say Griesie is the best bet considering his history with the Koob. He probably wants to be a starter so instant controversy. I'd like to see McCown too or maybe even Ramsey to compete for the backup/starting job. Good cuts by the team today. Who's next?

bigTEXan8
02-28-2006, 07:45 PM
Just naming guys with experience in Kubiaks system. Griesie could push Carr to start, so I'd prefer someone like him if he gets the door.

I concur...I'm just giving you ****.

TexanSam
02-28-2006, 07:48 PM
I'm calling for Josh McCown. I like local guys, I guess this brands me a homer. And the guy showed the ability to put up big numbers (alot of 300 yard games given the starts). I know he had Fitz, Boldin, a non-existent running game, and was playing from behind... but still, he showed the ability to not mess up a good thing and competence at the very least. He's young and has a big arm.

He'd be great as a backup to Carr and somebody to really push him.. we might be able to figure out if Carr is the problem. He'd be great as a 1-2 year guy while/if VY develops. So that's my Josh McCown tout for the day. He's an Ivan Drago doppelganger, which is more than a good thing (judging by his brethren in Drago looks Andrei Kirilenko).

I wouldn't mind seeing Josh McCown coming here. I thought he was better than Warner in Arizona, but Dennis Green didn't stick with him. McCown might get a chance to start somewhere else, but if not, I wouldn't mind seeing him backup Carr. He's better than Tony Banks in my opinion. If not McCown, then I'm not sure who else. Wasn't Brian Griese doing pretty good before he got hurt in Tampa Bay? He might want to be a starter also.

I'm not surprised about Hollings or Coleman. I think everyone knew Coleman was going to get cut. He could have stepped up and been the leader of the defense after Sharper and Glenn left, but nope. Lackluster effort the whole year. At least the rest of the team actually seemed to be trying to win games. Hollings was another wasted draft pick. I think he'd been injured alot, kind of like that other wasted 2nd round pick *cough*Joppru*cough*. Oh well, hopefully we'll live and learn.

HJam72
02-28-2006, 07:50 PM
I don't think they had any way to know that Joppru would have health problems. He was just bad luck.

TexanSam
02-28-2006, 07:53 PM
I don't think they had any way to know that Joppru would have health problems. He was just bad luck.

That is true. But just think...Jason Witten could have been in a Texans jersey right now :crying:

cuppacoffee
02-28-2006, 07:55 PM

Might be on the Bears roster. :)

GoBlue
02-28-2006, 08:02 PM
All I have to say is

Sweet
Sweet
Sweet

We'll never miss those guys

Put me down for Griese as a back-up- the more Michigan alums the better. Besides Greise is a born WINNER. He took Wash St. to school in the 1998 Rose Bowl to bring home the national championship. Why, he has as many championships as.....shhh...vince young.

Runner
02-28-2006, 08:14 PM
Hollings and Coleman are no surprise to me. I'm somewhat surprised that Banks has been cut, but I'm glad to see him go. I think Ragone could have been #2 last year.

Double Barrel
02-28-2006, 08:15 PM
Coleman was way past his prime. No surprise he's gone.

I'm a little surprised they cut Banks, but maybe Kubiak has an ace up his sleeve with someone in mind. I would not doubt Griese showing up here if nobody wants to start him.

I thought Hollings might be around a bit longer, too. Hope the kid gets a chance somewhere, but perhaps he just didn't show us anything here because he ain't got anything to show. idonno:

Vinny
02-28-2006, 08:18 PM
Marcus Coleman is about to come on 790am radio live to talk about the Texans.

cap1
02-28-2006, 08:21 PM
I am kinda glad the Texans cut these guys. They will probably not contribute much this year or fit into what the Texans want. I can see more coming by the end of the week.

Like:

McKinny with his 4.7 Million cap number (if he won't redo his contract).
Wiegert with his 4.2 Million cap Number (He needs to redo his contract too)

Meisterman
02-28-2006, 08:23 PM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/yaakman7/kingeyes_av.jpg

Hollings gone....check....That's one of Casserly's high round BUSTS cut.. Looks like there are more of Charlie's blunders to go on the list....wonder who's next....hard to pick just one...:cool:

MojoX
02-28-2006, 09:02 PM
Marcus Coleman is about to come on 790am radio live to talk about the Texans.
Will someone recap, please?

cap1
02-28-2006, 09:03 PM
Will someone recap, please?

A few minutes to 8 PM and he still hasn't come on

Tulip
02-28-2006, 09:04 PM
I'm really surprised about Tony Banks. Not surprised about Hollings. Or Coleman either- not because of performance, but more because of age and the cap upside.

tulexan
02-28-2006, 09:06 PM
A few minutes to 8 PM and he still hasn't come on

I wonder why

mexican_texan
02-28-2006, 09:10 PM
3 down, wand to go

cap1
Coleman on right now

Corrosion
I think the biggest reason Banks was cut was to make other teams think the Texans MAY take a QB #1 ..... Since there are several good FA QB's that could be signed to back up DC there is little to lose in the move.

..... If teams think the Texans may take Leinart or Young .... The value of the #1 goes thru the roof.

As for Hollings , He should have been cut last pre-season to make room for another WR (Sloan Thomas who recently re-signed w/ the Titans ?) I think the only reason he stayed is that he cost the team a second rounder and Casserly/Capers wanted to give him a shot to contribute..... He didnt , He's gone.

Coleman .... Im glad to see gone as well . A DUI , missing team meetings , getting suspended not to mention his horrible play .... good bye and good ridance.....

Can someone post what their individual cap numbers would have been for the up-coming season ?

Good to see Kubiak cutting the dead weight .... this team needed to clean house . Im sure they arent done yet.

cap1
02-28-2006, 09:12 PM
His feelings:

Realized the texans were going in a different Direction.

Says he can still play.

Hoping to find place somewhere else.

DJ asked him if he blames Vic Fangio?

MC: No he doesn't he moved to safety for the betterment of the team.

I will post the rest soon.

cap1
02-28-2006, 09:15 PM
Coleman was asked about playing for Parcells:

He would like to play for him.

-------------------------

Asked if any regrets?

Coleman: More wins. Everything else was fine.
-------------------------------------
Asked about the guys left in Houston secondary:

Coleman: Those guys are all young and just need more expierence.

tulexan
02-28-2006, 09:15 PM
I don't think the cutting of Banks has anything to do with the draft. I think the Kubiak realized that either A) Ragone is better than Banks and should be the #2 QB or B) they can get a better back up QB through FA that will be cheaper than Banks.

cap1
02-28-2006, 09:17 PM
I don't think the cutting of Banks has anything to do with the draft. I think the Kubiak realized that either A) Ragone is better than Banks and should be the #2 QB or B) they can get a better back up QB through FA that will be cheaper than Banks.

I don't think it has anything to do with the draft. I think it is these same as Tulexan stated.

Lucky
02-28-2006, 09:18 PM
I don't think Maddux ever played under Kubiak. Though he didn't leave Denver on the best of terms, I'd have to guess Griese.

I have to agree with GoBlue. Very sweet. I can think of a half dozen more I'd like to see shown the door at Reliant. Not just players, either.

cap1
02-28-2006, 09:19 PM
300th Post now. It took me almsot 3 years. I need to start posting more so I can get a little more respect here.

Tulip
02-28-2006, 09:20 PM
I caught most of the interview. I'm sad to lose our Red Raider.

Runner
02-28-2006, 09:33 PM
300th Post now. It took me almsot 3 years. I need to start posting more so I can get a little more respect here.

Just go for quality, not quantity (or both).

beerlover
02-28-2006, 09:45 PM
Releasing Banks will certainly force teams to think about the Texans taking a QB first with Leinart & Cutler both looking strong, maybe a trade down and still get VY? He will have time to groom under Carr with Kubiac.

Hollings may not have been all Casserly, probably Capers had something to do with it as well & since he is gone Kubiac wants to move on with his own players.

However releasing Coleman is a surprise in that its a pretty big cap hit and only two years ago he was returning a 98 yd. INT for a game winning TD in KC. I thought they might move him back to CB and PB to the nickle & draft a safety to replace that position.

I would love to somehow get Michael Huff to be the Texans future FS did anyone else notice his 40 time of 4.34 @ the Combine? Love his attitude, coverage skills, and abiltiy to read/react to make plays.

Texans Pride
02-28-2006, 09:48 PM

Then you have to at least post on topic, and not about your number count!!! j/k brother.....congrats on 300!

tulexan
02-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Releasing Banks will certainly force teams to think about the Texans taking a QB first with Leinart & Cutler both looking strong, maybe a trade down and still get VY? He will have time to groom under Carr with Kubiac.

Yeah teams will now think that we might draft a QB on the second day to fill Ragone's spot (assuming he is moved up to 2nd string).

Everyone knows that we aren't going to draft a QB because we just extended Carr's contract by 3 years. We aren't going to pay a guy $50 million to sit on the bench for a few years. We aren't going to trade down and pay a guy $30 million to sit on the bench for a few years. We are going to draft someone who is going to make an immediate impact on the field. Whether it is Reggie Bush at #1 or D'Brick at #4, it will be a guy who will show up in some way on the stat sheets every single game that they are healthy.

U4ikrob
02-28-2006, 10:08 PM
Good cuts and the Walker cut wasa little surprising but once again a high cap number and low production made him a likely candidate - I think we will see some more cuts yet to come [joppru, wand]. Nice to see Gary and his staff are not sittign pat alot with there hand but workign the numbers and getting a handle on the staff quickly :ok:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3692204.html

cap1
02-28-2006, 10:09 PM
Just go for quality, not quantity (or both).

Thanks,

I try for the quality part of it more than just the quantity.

stevo3883
02-28-2006, 10:10 PM
Yeah teams will now think that we might draft a QB on the second day to fill Ragone's spot (assuming he is moved up to 2nd string).

Everyone knows that we aren't going to draft a QB because we just extended Carr's contract by 3 years. We aren't going to pay a guy $50 million to sit on the bench for a few years. We aren't going to trade down and pay a guy $30 million to sit on the bench for a few years. We are going to draft someone who is going to make an immediate impact on the field. Whether it is Reggie Bush at #1 or D'Brick at #4, it will be a guy who will show up in some way on the stat sheets every single game that they are healthy.

the only impact dbrick will make next year would be to carr's head by the end who just beat him inside.

i would shoot them if they started dbrick at LT his rookie year. freeney will get 3-4 sakcs if that happens

David's Busted Carr
02-28-2006, 10:12 PM
The Gary Kubiak house cleaning has begun!!! Way to go Gary! Now we need to get rid of...

Gary Walker
PBrain Buchanon
Corey Bradford (won't be resigned)
All of our TEs and start over
Half of our OL

And we should be on our way to a successful rebuilding...

travfrancis
02-28-2006, 10:14 PM
I don't think the cutting of Banks has anything to do with the draft.

yet cutting tony hollings does? (thats what you insinuated earlier in this thread)

chances are neither have anything to do with the draft, but hell, if one of the moves did it would be the Banks move since he is the bigger surprise and 2nd string QB.

btw, i am shocked that gary walker got cut.

The Dude Abides
02-28-2006, 10:14 PM
the only impact dbrick will make next year would be to carr's head by the end who just beat him inside.

i would shoot them if they started dbrick at LT his rookie year. freeney will get 3-4 sakcs if that happens

D'Brick is one of the top tackles to come out of the draft in the last 10 years, possibly better than Gallery(who I know is currently a RT), and you are already stating that he's going to be bad. Good times.

The Dude Abides
02-28-2006, 10:15 PM
The Gary Kubiak house cleaning has begun!!! Way to go Gary! Now we need to get rid of...

Gary Walker
PBrain Buchanon
Corey Bradford (won't be resigned)
All of our TEs and start over
Half of our OL

And we should be on our way to a successful rebuilding...

Walker was also cut. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3692204.html

stevo3883
02-28-2006, 10:17 PM
D'Brick is one of the top tackles to come out of the draft in the last 10 years, possibly better than Gallery(who I know is currently a RT), and you are already stating that he's going to be bad. Good times.

umm of course he will be bad his rookie year. LT and QB take the longest to mature at out of probably any position. it will take him 3-4 years if not more to meet his potential.

did you ever watch him in college? he got beat a lot.

tulexan
02-28-2006, 10:26 PM

Now that was a surprise

big homey
02-28-2006, 10:28 PM
That one I didn't see coming.

Tulip
02-28-2006, 10:30 PM
Wow. At least we have one defensive leader left - Dunta.

Vinny
02-28-2006, 10:30 PM
D'Brick is one of the top tackles to come out of the draft in the last 10 years, possibly better than Gallery(who I know is currently a RT), and you are already stating that he's going to be bad. Good times.possibly better than Gallery? Gallery has been a huge bust so far.

powerfuldragon
02-28-2006, 10:33 PM

well, s#!t. I'm gonna miss gary.

Dr. Toro
02-28-2006, 10:37 PM

I thought he gave the defense some heart. Hate to see him go.

beerlover
02-28-2006, 10:39 PM

here is your immediate impact- put this in your pipe & smoke it :howdy:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9269821

Wharton
02-28-2006, 10:47 PM
if they started dbrick at LT his rookie year. freeney will get 3-4 sakcs And, this is differnt then what we did last year?

Poor Kubiak! He's sitting in the film room watching last years game tapes thinking "OH MY GOD, what have I gotten my self into!"

Hang in there Kubes, I got faith!

:fans:

Vinny
02-28-2006, 10:48 PM
And, this is differnt then what we did last year?Pitts shut out Freeney.

samomin
02-28-2006, 10:51 PM
According to chron article.

Walker hasn't been officially released because of the salary cap. He was told that if the NFL doesn't have a new collective bargaining agreement in place with the Players Association that he won't be released until June 1. If they extend the CBA, Walker will be released immediately.

I don't understand this logic. To me it looks the same since without the CBA there is no June 1st cut. Can somebody explain?

Texans_Chick
02-28-2006, 10:59 PM
OK, with these cuts on the defensive side of the ball, in your opinion, who are free agents that would be good fits for what we are intending to do next year and who might be interested in the Texans?

We were already young young young and thin on defense with little leadership, and I am hoping there is the potential to get some FA help on this side of the ball.

Disregarding the contract stuff, the Texans played better defense when Gary Walker was in the game. And he certainly was a vocal leader as well.

Good luck with your next team, Shrek. (his nickname in the locker room--I had to promise I wouldn't say who told me that cuz Shrek would get mad).

The Dude Abides
02-28-2006, 11:24 PM
possibly better than Gallery? Gallery has been a huge bust so far.
I meant rating wise coming out of college.

TEXANS84
02-28-2006, 11:33 PM

Yeah, me too. Guy was a good part of our defense (when healthy).

Best wishes to G-Funk.

Vinny
02-28-2006, 11:56 PM
I don't think Maddux ever played under Kubiak. Though he didn't leave Denver on the best of terms, I'd have to guess Griese.I just associated Maddux with the Broncos as I heard this news and popped it out. I was trying to think of guys who had some Bronco system exposure. Hulk was right earlier in the thread anyway...he can't move anymore.

This is a year we really clean up the defense it seems. Gary Walker was one of our first Pro Bowlers. Loved watching him when he was at the top of his game. Gary is a little short but he uses that to his advantage and uses leverage well. He gets underneath his man and has a ridiculous bullrush move that is very tough to stop with one man. Gary was also surly and when he played mad he played well. He knew how to play with attitude. It's harder for big men when they get injuries to their wheels. Conditioning is rough when you are old (for being a football player), 300 pounds and you start getting injuries that do not let you run much. Conditioning issues compounded and essaserbated the injury issues but you know what they say....you can't help the club from the tub. I don't have any of the same feelings towards Coleman, and that's a shame....but that's on him. When I think back to this era I won't think much of Coleman, and while Walker broke down at the end he gave us a pro bowl year right off the bat for a franchise without many highs the first half decade.

Corrosion
02-28-2006, 11:59 PM
Walker being cut is no surprise to me at all , He couldnt stay on the field and when he did play he wasnt real productive ..... top it off with being old and expensive and you have all the makings of a roster cut .... I was somewhat surprised he and Hollings werent cut in the pre-season......

keyfro
03-01-2006, 12:29 AM
walker's soon to be cut comes as a huge surprise to me since i knew there were teams interested in trading him and then restructuring his contract but i guess(hope) casserly tried to shope him around and got no feedback...anyways...good luck to ya g-funk just don't go back to the titans...i see gary probably going to buffalo or arizona

Lucky
03-01-2006, 12:33 AM
OK, with these cuts on the defensive side of the ball, in your opinion, who are free agents that would be good fits for what we are intending to do next year and who might be interested in the Texans?
Finding guys who might be interested in Houston is the tough part to answer. But going into free agency, you can see where the biggest holes are on defense.

LDE - Babin and/or Peek may be able to handle the RDE spot. But the Texans need someone with some size to play on the defensive left side. Aaron Kampman and Raheem Brock might make sense.

MLB - Very, very thin position in free agency. Unless there are some surprise cuts coming, the Texans will need to address this position from their own roster and the draft.

FS - I think Earl and CC Brown can handle the SS spot, but the Texans need a vet who knows what's what in centerfield. Will Demps and Chris Hope are smart players who like to hit (or everything Coleman was not). But there will be competition for their services.

LCB - With Nate Clements franchised, it's another thin group. I think the Texans have to look at the draft for corners, which should be a deep position this year through the middle rounds.

Dr. Toro
03-01-2006, 12:40 AM
Finding guys who might be interested in Houston is the tough part to answer. But going into free agency, you can see where the biggest holes are on defense.

LDE - Babin and/or Peek may be able to handle the RDE spot. But the Texans need someone with some size to play on the defensive left side. Aaron Kampman and Raheem Brock might make sense.

MLB - Very, very thin position in free agency. Unless there are some surprise cuts coming, the Texans will need to address this position from their own roster and the draft.

Brock got locked up longterm. Kampman deal in GB isn't imminent.

I think Hope is really underappreciated due to all the Polamalu pub, I hope that depresses his market value.

Capster67
03-01-2006, 12:41 AM
It's good to see such strong decisions made early. Bodes well for the upcoming year. It was painful to watch Banks play in the preseason and 49ers game. Couldn't move the team at all. Hopefully we'll get someone who can to back up Carr.

tulexan
03-01-2006, 01:30 AM
i also like how aggressive we are being so far. i would always get so mad about how passive we would be and sit around while everyone else would be making moves. hopefully we will be active during free agency (whenever it starts)

mexican_texan
03-01-2006, 01:31 AM
The closest Tommy Maddox will come to playing for Houston is towel boy. He was horrible this past year.

So was P-Buc cut or not?

The Dude Abides
03-01-2006, 01:32 AM
The closest Tommy Maddox will come to playing for Houston is towel boy. He was horrible this past year.

So was P-Buc cut or not?

No.

tulexan
03-01-2006, 01:34 AM
I think Buchanon actually could be semi-productive if he is motivated properly. Hopefully this new staff can get it done.

mexican_texan
03-01-2006, 01:39 AM
I think Buchanon actually could be semi-productive if he is motivated properly. Hopefully this new staff can get it done.
one should note that he is repped by Drew "next question" Rosenhaus.

TexanSoldier
03-01-2006, 01:48 AM
I have a question, with a new spot in the roster for a QB, how crazy is the "Draft Vince" crowd going to go if CC takes Reggie McNeal early in the second day of the draft?

CoastalTexan
03-01-2006, 02:13 AM
Mcneil, Jacobs, Nealy, would all be a good pick on the 2nd day. A running qb might change things up a little if Carr got hurt. Perhaps play a lil WR ala Randle EL as well. The thing about Young is hes not a 2nd day pick. Well at least not yet.

Runner
03-01-2006, 07:02 AM
2 starters cut on defense, 2 seldom used players on offense. It looks like this is going to be a draft where we go heavy on defense.

Grid
03-01-2006, 07:23 AM
2 starters cut on defense, 2 seldom used players on offense. It looks like this is going to be a draft where we go heavy on defense.

eh..thats not quite true. Walker was a starter, but he was barely a starter. He was injured way too often and cost way to much for his production.

Coleman was hardly a starter either.... he sucked bad last year, and was injured for a loooooong time.

mancunian
03-01-2006, 07:25 AM

don't rate Maddox, think Griese would be ok. Wasn't he at Denver with Kubiak?

chuckm
03-01-2006, 08:50 AM
just heard on a 610 SportsFlash that Gray Walker's been told that he will not be back next year ...

Sportsfan
03-01-2006, 09:22 AM
just heard on a 610 SportsFlash that Gray Walker's been told that he will not be back next year ...

Wow, didn't see that coming. Thanks

texasguy346
03-01-2006, 10:07 AM
I'll definately miss Walker. He was 'Barkley'esque. He would always tell it like it is, and he wouldn't sugar coat it. Hopefully Dunta is able to learn a thing or two from GFunk and won't be afraid to tell it like it is.

Coleman I won't miss. This season he just wasn't playing with a passion for the game. He broke the most important rule when he quit on his team. Absolutely inexcusable. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

As far as the draft is concerened I tend to agree with Runner. I think we very well could be looking at quite a few picks on the defensive side of the ball. I think the only offensive picks we'll see is a RB and/or OT. I'd imagine the Texans would be looking to pick up a young MLB prospect, as well as a young CB and FS to add depth to the secondary, and they would definately be looking at a DE big enough to play the LDE in a 4-3. Obviously if some of these needs are filled via FA first then the Texans may not be as interested in drafting a young player for the position. However, as Lucky mentioned previously, some of the positions where we'll be looking for help are full of a pretty weak pool of free agents.

Capster67
03-01-2006, 10:08 AM
Walker's departure could open cap (and physical) space on the line for Abraham.

chuckm
03-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Walker's departure could open cap (and physical) space on the line for Abraham.

unless I'm mistaken Walker was part of the DT stockpile, not really a DE but could in a pinch I suppose

Texans34Life
03-01-2006, 10:11 AM
Thank God Kubiak is cleaning house. Got to get rid of the excess waste and bring in some actual players.

powerfuldragon
03-01-2006, 10:24 AM
I have a question, with a new spot in the roster for a QB, how crazy is the "Draft Vince" crowd going to go if CC takes Reggie McNeal early in the second day of the draft?

Why would we take McNeal? he sucks.

Sportsfan
03-01-2006, 10:26 AM
Why would we take McNeal? he sucks.

Wow, thats pretty extreme. Inconcistent might be more appropriate. But if your a scout or something, hey whatever you say chief.

powerfuldragon
03-01-2006, 10:28 AM
you a scout?
nah, prefer AWP. just have an irrational loathing of the guy.

TEXANRED
03-01-2006, 10:51 AM
So what do yo think the starting line is going to be?

I would love to see us trade with the Jets and pick up Mario Williams.

Abraham, Smith, Johnson, Williams.

We might be able to get a sack or two. Even....gasp.....stop the run!

texasguy346
03-01-2006, 10:57 AM
With Walker and Coleman now gone that pretty much gets rid of every player we picked up through the expansion draft with the exception of Payne.

texan279
03-01-2006, 11:03 AM
This should make the draft all the more interesting...

keyfro
03-01-2006, 12:27 PM
reggie mcneal isn't that bad he just didn't have the recievers or o-line to help him out any...but griese is probably a much more practical person to turn to...as far as other cap cuts what about kaliee wong...he's over 30...coming off of serious ACL surgery...does anyone know how he is doing...what's his rehab looks like...because generally you need a full year to recover from that kind of injury but over the age of 30 that's almost a career ender right there...how much to cut him...how much do we save?

Errant Hothy
03-01-2006, 12:42 PM

Hopefully not to crazt, cause Reggie's best future in the NFL is as a Randle-El (sp?) clone. I still can't believe Corey Chavius things of Reggie as a top 5 QB in this draft.

Now with all that being said, I wouldn't mind them drafting McNeil as long as it was Roud 5 or later. We still have to many holes to fill to spned productive draft picks on a extravagence type player, we need the neccesaties.

Vinny
03-01-2006, 12:49 PM
don't rate Maddox, think Griese would be ok. Wasn't he at Denver with Kubiak?The Denver connection was the only reason I mentioned their names.

DominickDavisFan76
03-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Yo I agree, i was suprised about Banks, but I knew Coleman would go, and I was a little skeptical about Hollings moving from CB to RB in college.

Man now i dont have a good FS in Madden 06 anymore

Marcus Coleman-89 overall

CC Brown-76 overall:crying:

66cobra
03-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Sorry to hear about G-funk, even though he was hurt all the time, he was a gamer.

just my 2 cents on McNeal, he was hampered in his development by A&M's switch to an option offense. He is more of a pocket passer/scrambler than an option quarterback.

El Tejano
03-01-2006, 01:15 PM
If that happens, it will be just dumb and an excellent representation of a team settling for second best. Why go after a QB like that when you could've gotten the best like that in VY. The only way it is acceptable is if they say they are changing him to WR. Hey, wasn't Ashley Lelie a QB in Hawaii?:spy:

Vinny
03-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Hey, wasn't Ashley Lelie a QB in Hawaii?:spy: um, no

chuckm
03-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Enough of the "projects" drafting .... let's get established players please ....

El Tejano
03-01-2006, 02:39 PM
um, no
Are you sure? I could've swore I saw Carr play against him back in 02 and Lelie was a QB.

Oops. My bad, looked it up, guess he always was a WR.

texasguy346
03-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Are you sure? I could've swore I saw Carr play against him back in 02 and Lelie was a QB.

Lelie was a receiver for Hawaii. He wasn't the QB. I believe Chan was the QB for Hawaii back in 2002, but thats just off the top of my head.

bigTEXan8
03-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Lelie was a receiver for Hawaii. He wasn't the QB. I believe Chan was the QB for Hawaii back in 2002, but thats just off the top of my head.

Chan got hurt halfway through the game. It was a back-up that beat FS. Still have a hard time letting that one go. Lelie had a hell of a game though.

Dunta_23
03-01-2006, 04:40 PM
Texans | Walker to be released
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:37:40 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans have informed DT Gary Walker he is being released. Walker hasn't been officially released because of the salary cap. He was told that if the NFL doesn't have a new collective bargaining agreement in place with the NFLPA that he won't be released until June 1. If they extend the CBA, Walker will be released immediately. Walker, who had four years left on his contract, has the second-highest salary cap figure on the roster to QB David Carr.

Double Barrel
03-01-2006, 05:19 PM
Man, I hate to see Walker go. I think he's still got some game in him and is one of our better d-linemen. And being a veteran, we need his leadership for the young dudes to learn the ins and outs of being a tackle. Johnson and Smith just don't seem to be ready to take over at this point.

bigTEXan8
03-01-2006, 05:27 PM
I'm not sheading any tears...

bATXle red
03-01-2006, 08:27 PM
Gary Walker is on his way out...

I guess everyone's at a loss for words? :sarcasm:
Is it possible the Texans are going to use more high picks on D-Line help? (Mario Williams?)
Is Travis Johnson going to show us he's worth the first round pick?

Carr Bombed
03-01-2006, 08:31 PM
I don't think cutting Walker is going to change any of our decisions regarding the Dline (as far as DTs) in the draft. Comming from a 3-4 we were already deep there. R. Smith, T. Johnson, S Payne. I still would like to pick up a good DE though.

Ibar_Harry
03-01-2006, 08:35 PM
Walker I think caused some problems and I'm not surprised to see him gone given Kubiack's emphasis on the team. I think more happened than we knew about, but that is a guess on my part. I wouldn't be surprised if this cut didn't come from the top.....

bATXle red
03-01-2006, 11:26 PM
we are decently deep as far as players at the DE position, but half would be unproven in a 4-3 scheme as pass rushing DEs right?. If Peek is resigned that could possibly fill a role there (still unproven at this level), but most of our DEs are run stuffers are they not?

Vinny
03-02-2006, 11:25 AM
we are decently deep as far as players at the DE position, but half would be unproven in a 4-3 scheme as pass rushing DEs right?. If Peek is resigned that could possibly fill a role there (still unproven at this level), but most of our DEs are run stuffers are they not?if you want to call zero DE's fairly deep...go for it. We have a crapload of "tweeners" though. All of our ends are rush ends...no "run stuffers" really.

bATXle red
03-02-2006, 12:24 PM
if you want to call zero DE's fairly deep...go for it. We have a crapload of "tweeners" though. All of our ends are rush ends...no "run stuffers" really.
who's rushing from the DE position?

top 3 DEs last year

Robaire Smith 2 sacks 68 tackles
Travis Johnson 1 sack 26 tackles
Gary Walker 1 sack 30 tackles

if they're (minus gfunk) our DE's? where's the rush?
I think we need a speed rusher, nothing against our big boys, but 300+ does not seem to fit as much in the 4-3 where you don't have big linebackers bringing you're speed rush.
Hopefully we get some tweeners to step it up.. for instance I think all of us would like to see Babin play as good as his draft position. :twocents:

infantrycak
03-02-2006, 12:38 PM
who's rushing from the DE position?

top 3 DEs last year

Robaire Smith 2 sacks 68 tackles
Travis Johnson 1 sack 26 tackles
Gary Walker 1 sack 30 tackles

The point is in a 4-3 alignment, those guys are all DT's although Walker did play some 4-3 DE for Capers in Jax.

Bobo
03-02-2006, 01:27 PM

One word: "Six."

El Tejano
03-02-2006, 02:35 PM
I thought Walker also played DE for Fisher in Tenn.

keyfro
03-02-2006, 03:19 PM
no he was just a DT

PapaL
03-02-2006, 05:56 PM
I thought Walker also played DE for Fisher in Tenn.

I think you mean Robaire Smith, not Walker. He was primarily a DT, probably did play a few snaps at DE though.

dat_boy_yec
03-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Man, I hope they cut Weigart or McKinney, or both and free up more space to go after some FA's. There are a lot of other guys that would free up some space, like Bruener, but these two would go a long way. Either that or major re-structuring of their contracts.

Runner
03-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Man, I hope they cut Weigart or McKinney, or both and free up more space to go after some FA's. There are a lot of other guys that would free up some space, like Bruener, but these two would go a long way. Either that or major re-structuring of their contracts.

I'd just let McKinney go. He is not worth the money, and even a restructuring doesn't make keeping him very appealing to me. I'd save the money, but then I'd really have to go after a center in free agency. Hodgdon didn't play enough last year to prove his worth or his durability. He might work out, but I wouldn't bet the o-line's season on it.

cap1
03-02-2006, 10:42 PM
I'd just let McKinney go. He is not worth the money, and even a restructuring doesn't make keeping him very appealing to me. I'd save the money, but then I'd really have to go after a center in free agency. Hodgdon didn't play enough last year to prove his worth or his durability. He might work out, but I wouldn't bet the o-line's season on it.

Your right. McKinney counts about 4.5 million against the cap. I hope they get rid of him. They need to atleast redo his contract.

edo783
03-03-2006, 12:32 AM
Your right. McKinney counts about 4.5 million against the cap. I hope they get rid of him. They need to atleast redo his contract.

I'm not much of a McKinny fan, but a resturcture would probably be the best thing to do. He is an above average LG, but please never have him play center again. Get his cap hit down and play him at LG and it's not a bad thing.