PDA

View Full Version : Daunte Culpepper

infantrycak
02-17-2006, 12:20 AM
Usually every potentially available player in the NFL has a thread started about their potential to become a Texan. With the large contingent who are very unhappy with David Carr and large contingent who are luke warm on David Carr, I am a bit surprised not to see a Culpepper discussion so here you go.

Reports are the Vikings are shopping Culpepper and are asking for a 2nd round draft pick. The Vikings would eat his entire signing bonus in any trade so his current salary is very reasonable thru 2013. In 2004 he put up 4700 yds, 39 TD's, 11 INT's with a QB rating of 110--but for Manning's record setting freakish year, Culpepper was a shoe in for MVP. Trade for him--Carr can feel the pressure and is available to prove his trade value or stardom until Culpepper is 100% healthy. That leaves the Texans with their #1 overall to either select Bush or trade down, probably getting back a 2nd like they gave up to get Culpepper. Culpepper, AJ, Bush & DD sounds like a ton of offense in a Denver system.

So who's on board? :stirpot:

ArlingtonTexan
02-17-2006, 12:31 AM
You are not doing this right. There should just be one line in the post about what a great QB Culpepper is. Too much actual information and logic.

The Dude Abides
02-17-2006, 12:33 AM
Haha, I'll have to pass. If his knee wasn't obliterated, I might be tempted, but we don't need a gimpy QB. Now if he was in form from 2 years ago, I'd say YEAH! :drool:

infantrycak
02-17-2006, 12:35 AM
You are not doing this right. There should just be one line in the post about what a great QB Culpepper is. Too much actual information and logic.

Man I knew I was screwing it up. I should have just thought about the Nicholson line in As Good as it Gets in response to "how do you write [MB posters] so well?"--answer--I think of a man and remove reason and responsibility.

Dr. Toro
02-17-2006, 12:36 AM
Word is Daunte wanted a $10 million raise from his $8 million salary. The boat incident probably would be an issue here too. I'd trade Carr for Culpepper straight up. However, this is almost guaranteed not to happen, Top 5 QB - injury - character questions - money demands - Golden Boy= no battle Red for Daunte.

tulexan
02-17-2006, 12:46 AM
I don't like the way that Daunte looked without Randy Moss. I would like to see him with success without Randy before committing too much to get him.

infantrycak
02-17-2006, 12:49 AM
Word is Daunte wanted a $10 million raise from his $8 million salary.

Word is wrong at least partly (funny, I have noticed Word is a very unreliable source--anybody ever get a good look at him?)--Culpepper is reported to have asked for another bonus from the Vikings, an event which precipitated his being dangled as trade bait, but his salaries for the next 3 years under his current contract are:

2006-$2 mil
2007-$5.5 mil
2008-$6 mil

So in every year he is cheaper than Carr (considering the Texans don't have to account for his bonus) and in 2006 is very reasonable in a two QB total.

jerek
02-17-2006, 12:58 AM
Not sure I like Culpepper. He put up some impressive seasons but has been somewhat inconsistent, IMO, especially without Moss. I'm not canceling his ticket just yet, but in my thought he is not the stable, "veteran" leader we would be looking to if we were out to give Carr some competition: his deficiences (turnovers, among others) are well documented and he is still something of a project, albeit another exciting prospect in Kubiak's hands. Still, for his cost, you have to look twice at him.

zeplin
02-17-2006, 01:12 AM
Haha, I'll have to pass. If his knee wasn't obliterated, I might be tempted, but we don't need a gimpy QB. Now ot. boif he was in form from 2 years ago, I'd say YEAH! :drool:

He has small hands Fumble problemstoo. I personally would prefer to pass on this guy.

TreWardTxn
02-17-2006, 01:32 AM
I like Culpepper, but much better as a FA pickup as opposed to a trade, because that mandates the Texans give something up. If nothing else, it could create some competition at the position. However, Daunte's knee would be highly suspect/at risk in a bootleg heavy system...

Dr. Toro
02-17-2006, 01:32 AM
Word is wrong at least partly (funny, I have noticed Word is a very unreliable source--anybody ever get a good look at him?)--Culpepper is reported to have asked for another bonus from the Vikings, an event which precipitated his being dangled as trade bait, but his salaries for the next 3 years under his current contract are:

2006-$2 mil
2007-$5.5 mil
2008-$6 mil

So in every year he is cheaper than Carr (considering the Texans don't have to account for his bonus) and in 2006 is very reasonable in a two QB total.

"Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings QB Daunte Culpepper demanded a big salary increase and owner Zygi Wilf was not thrilled to hear it. Culpepper, according to two people with knowledge of the situation, asked that approximately $10 million be added to his contract this season, increasing his total 2006 compensation to a staggering $18 million."

http://www.rtsports.com/php/draft-guide-player.php?PN=5887

Sorry, total compensation, not salary. The point remains, he wants alot more money.

texan279
02-17-2006, 02:33 AM
from www.kffl.com

Vikings | Trading Culpepper a long shot
Thu, 16 Feb 2006 19:49:41 -0800

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports amid speculation the Minnesota Vikings are considering trading QB Daunte Culpepper to the highest bidder, two NFL team officials and two former team executives said such a deal is a long shot. Fran Foley, the Vikings' new vice president of player personnel, declined to answer repeated questions about Culpepper during a news conference Thursday, Feb. 16. Culpepper's health is one of the many challenges of a potential trade, said two team officials whose teams could be in the market for a quarterback. Former NFL team executives Rick Spielman and Ken Herock said trades are increasingly difficult to pull off in the NFL, especially for a quarterback.

infantrycak
02-17-2006, 08:16 AM
"Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings QB Daunte Culpepper demanded a big salary increase and owner Zygi Wilf was not thrilled to hear it. Culpepper, according to two people with knowledge of the situation, asked that approximately $10 million be added to his contract this season, increasing his total 2006 compensation to a staggering $18 million."

http://www.rtsports.com/php/draft-guide-player.php?PN=5887

Sorry, total compensation, not salary. The point remains, he wants alot more money.

Well he is asking for $10 mil of it so it isn't in the contract now. As for the discrepency between $8 mil and $2 mil, the $2 mil comes from the NFL Players Association so is reliable. Maybe there is a scheduled roster bonus, but that hasn't been mentioned in the news articles as impending. Even at $8 mil this year he is as cheap or cheaper than signing a #1 QB.

In any event, the main point here is an established successful MVP candidate QB in the prime of his career available and the Texans still keep their 1st round pick. Seems like a better recipe for success over the next 3 seasons than drafting VY. Folks have been saying VY will become a Culpepper/McNabb--well here is a chance to go ahead and get Culpepper plus Bush.

Kaiser Toro
02-17-2006, 08:29 AM
I do not like to mince my fanatic and fantasy life. Although I love Daunte in fantasy and can't stand Carr's value in real American Football I see no reason for this fiscally nor in remedying Carr's faults as I believe what I like and dislike about Carr are the same questionable characteristics that I see in Culpepper.

thunderkyss
02-17-2006, 08:35 AM
My problem with Dante, is that his leadership skills are about on Par with David Carr's........ I'd have Bit@h slapped Randy in the huddle, and told him to fetch.

In light of that, I would trade straight up. Maybe offer them Morency... or something along those lines..... Armstrong?? But not my second... But on a straight up trade, Carr's $8million dollar cap hit wouldn't bother me if I got Culpepper.(Would Dante's 2005 salary go against our cap??)

I do like Culpepper.... the River boat thing doesn't really bother me that much... I have no clue what really went on. But I've been to strip clubs(who hasn't) I've paid for lap dances.... I've never paid for the extra curicullars, but I'm sure if I were a multi millionaire, it wouldn't be hard to find several witnesses to say that I did. I am worried about his knee, some of his decisions this past season, and his mental state(how can he possibly be asking for more money now)

Well, I'd ask for more money to stay in Minnesota, where Dante is basically the whole team. I'd pay to go to Houston..... AJ, Gafney, MAthis, Armstrong........ Mmmmm, mmmmmmm, I can taste that MVP already.

BigBull17
02-17-2006, 08:41 AM
Well he is asking for $10 mil of it so it isn't in the contract now. As for the discrepency between $8 mil and $2 mil, the $2 mil comes from the NFL Players Association so is reliable. Maybe there is a scheduled roster bonus, but that hasn't been mentioned in the news articles as impending. Even at $8 mil this year he is as cheap or cheaper than signing a #1 QB.

In any event, the main point here is an established successful MVP candidate QB in the prime of his career available and the Texans still keep their 1st round pick. Seems like a better recipe for success over the next 3 seasons than drafting VY. Folks have been saying VY will become a Culpepper/McNabb--well here is a chance to go ahead and get Culpepper plus Bush.

Thats what they said on Sportscenter last night, that he was due a 6 mil roster bonus by Mar. 14th I think.

thunderkyss
02-17-2006, 08:42 AM
I do not like to mince my fanatic and fantasy life. Although I love Daunte in fantasy and can't stand Carr's value in real American Football I see no reason for this fiscally nor in remedying Carr's faults as I believe what I like and dislike about Carr are the same questionable characteristics that I see in Culpepper.

Yes, some of the same questions are still there. But Dante's Size alone puts gives him the edge over David Carr. Dante can have a LB around is waist, and a DB on his left arm, and still get the ball to the open reciever 50yrds down the field. You get a LB withing 3 yards of Carr......... well, let me stop there.

David & Dante are both going to need a strong willed coach, because that coach will have to be the leader from the sideline. Since we don't have a big mouth like Randy Moss, Kubiak may be the one, but from every thing I've heard, he's the quiet leader type........... will most likely need a field general, which up till now, neither Carr or Dante have shown to be.

The Myth
02-17-2006, 09:23 AM
Word is Daunte wanted a $10 million raise from his $8 million salary. The boat incident probably would be an issue here too. I'd trade Carr for Culpepper straight up. However, this is almost guaranteed not to happen, Top 5 QB - injury - character questions - money demands - Golden Boy= no battle Red for Daunte.
One thing I have noticed is that the some of the guys that are being talked about being available are going to be because they want so much money where they are at that they may be shopped around. I don't tihnk the Texans want the big price tag.

Long-Spurs-Texan
02-17-2006, 09:24 AM
Dante positives - HUGE, throws a nice deep ball, has some wheels.

Dante negatives - Leadership, so so accuracy, just had the absolute worst knee injury, QB rating rapidly eroding before devastating injury, outplayed by Brad Johnson, possible character issues. Decision to ask for twice the $$ after all the above.

Too many negatives outweigh the positives. IMO, the best of Culpepper walked out the door when Carter & Moss did.

Lucky
02-17-2006, 09:40 AM
Reports are the Vikings are shopping Culpepper and are asking for a 2nd round draft pick. The Vikings would eat his entire signing bonus in any trade so his current salary is very reasonable thru 2013.
Come on. You know that the Vikings won't settle for less than a 1st rounder plus. And they aren't going to eat (what $9 million?) the remaining bonus. Does anyone really believe that Brad Childress took this job so he could coach Brad Johnson?

infantrycak
02-17-2006, 09:46 AM
Come on. You know that the Vikings won't settle for less than a 1st rounder plus. And they aren't going to eat (what $9 million?) the remaining bonus. Does anyone really believe that Brad Childress took this job so he could coach Brad Johnson?

Could be about the 1st, but all the reports right now are he is being dangled for a 2nd so that's the hypo I gave. He does come with a huge contract, an injury and wanting more money so that certainly degrades his trade value in comparison to his performance.

There are just so many people around here who are 1000% convinced DC will never do anything for this team. Seems like some of them should be on board for this move if available. Interestingly not seeing any of them signing on so far--interesting also now how Culpepper has a well known and generally acknowledged lack of leadership.

Lucky
02-17-2006, 09:53 AM
...Interestingly not seeing any of them signing on so far--interesting also now how Culpepper has a well known and generally acknowledged lack of leadership.
You and I know there is only one man who can lead the Texans from the Dead Sea of 2-14 to the Promised Land. His name has 5 letters (and no, it's not Moses). Let's just accept this as fact and move on with our lives as football fans.

infantrycak
02-17-2006, 09:55 AM
I don't like the way that Daunte looked without Randy Moss. I would like to see him with success without Randy before committing too much to get him.

IMO, the best of Culpepper walked out the door when Carter & Moss did.

Culpepper's biggest year (2004) came with Carter gone and Moss essentially on the bench. Moss contributed only 700 yds of Culpepper's total of 4700 yds +. In Culpepper's bad year last season (without Moss) he still completed 64.4% of his passes and averaged 260 yds per game--this while getting sacked at a rate of 5 times per game (31 sacks in just over 6 games).

Dr. Toro
02-17-2006, 10:59 AM
Could be about the 1st, but all the reports right now are he is being dangled for a 2nd so that's the hypo I gave. He does come with a huge contract, an injury and wanting more money so that certainly degrades his trade value in comparison to his performance.

There are just so many people around here who are 1000% convinced DC will never do anything for this team. Seems like some of them should be on board for this move if available. Interestingly not seeing any of them signing on so far--interesting also now how Culpepper has a well known and generally acknowledged lack of leadership.

Hey man i said i'd do it. He was in the top 5 career passer rating coming into 05. But it's a very unrealistic scenario knowing our personnel preferences. The Star Tribune broke this story and said he wanted another 10 mil this year to go with the 6 mil roster bonus he's due. Maybe he doesn't really want the money, maybe he just wants out.

thunderkyss
02-17-2006, 01:25 PM

Helllloooooo...... helloooooooo........ what am I?? chopped liver??

I said I wouldn't give up a second...... I don't think Dante is that good(he too has weeknesses he should have got away from by now) & I don't think David is useless.... we can win with David. We can get into the playoffs..... maybe, if the Indianapolis Colts implode in the next few years. we may have a shot.

whiskeyrbl
02-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Yes, some of the same questions are still there. But Dante's Size alone puts gives him the edge over David Carr. Dante can have a LB around is waist, and a DB on his left arm, and still get the ball to the open reciever 50yrds down the field. You get a LB withing 3 yards of Carr......... well, let me stop there.

David & Dante are both going to need a strong willed coach, because that coach will have to be the leader from the sideline. Since we don't have a big mouth like Randy Moss, Kubiak may be the one, but from every thing I've heard, he's the quiet leader type........... will most likely need a field general, which up till now, neither Carr or Dante have shown to be.
Well i can see where Dante fits in ! Pay him all that money to come take over for Carr......Hmmm that makes sense sit Carr or trade him,tie up all your money in Culpepper,put him in and see how long his surgicaly (hopefully)repaired knee holds up while he's running for his football life for 60 minutes every Sunday,while getting sacked 60-75 times.Yep makes sense to me! Oh by the way heared on radio yesterday to not look for Dante this coming year on the football field.Saying he won't be ready till 2007.:thumbdown

thunderkyss
02-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Oh by the way heared on radio yesterday to not look for Dante this coming year on the football field.Saying he won't be ready till 2007.:thumbdown

Well we can see Why I don't do this for a living.

I don't listen to the radio.

Frills
02-17-2006, 01:46 PM
he's doubtful to play in 06...wasn't very good when he was playing.

Johnson took the reigns and lead that team almost to the playoffs.

I would not give away the 33rd pick for him.

yaboycm
02-18-2006, 03:50 PM
Usually every potentially available player in the NFL has a thread started about their potential to become a Texan. With the large contingent who are very unhappy with David Carr and large contingent who are luke warm on David Carr, I am a bit surprised not to see a Culpepper discussion so here you go.

Reports are the Vikings are shopping Culpepper and are asking for a 2nd round draft pick. The Vikings would eat his entire signing bonus in any trade so his current salary is very reasonable thru 2013. In 2004 he put up 4700 yds, 39 TD's, 11 INT's with a QB rating of 110--but for Manning's record setting freakish year, Culpepper was a shoe in for MVP. Trade for him--Carr can feel the pressure and is available to prove his trade value or stardom until Culpepper is 100% healthy. That leaves the Texans with their #1 overall to either select Bush or trade down, probably getting back a 2nd like they gave up to get Culpepper. Culpepper, AJ, Bush & DD sounds like a ton of offense in a Denver system.

This would be good too. I still want VY though.

threetoedpete
02-18-2006, 04:16 PM
Yeah let's send Minnesooooooda our #2 this year.Get him befor the draft and have bush/ Dante in the back feild. The Texans don't do anything with the twoes anyway. :stirpot:

Carr Bombed
02-18-2006, 04:26 PM
Our two this year is basicly a late first rounder in a very deep draft. We should be able to draft a player that can come in and make a difference from day 1 with that pick (TE or OL).

bigTEXan8
02-18-2006, 04:49 PM
Culpepper is not something this team needs. His knee is going to have to be built from scatch, and there's no garuntee that he's even going to be able to ever play again. And let's just say that for seme reason he does come to the Texans...likeliness is he won't even play till more than halfway through the season, if that, because of the seriousness of his injury. Besides, what made Culpepper so good anyway was Randy Moss, well at least his presence. If Culpepper goes anywhere, don't be suprised for him to go to the Raiders.

throwANDREtheBALL
03-09-2006, 02:17 AM
yes or no

I wanna see just how many of us would see this as an upgrade ?

SnakeOilTanker
03-09-2006, 02:58 AM
i would be less worried about the boat, and more worried about him having a bad season after moss left

bckey
03-09-2006, 03:23 AM
Absolutely not.

Malloy
03-09-2006, 04:59 AM
oooh, then we can get our own T.O. at QB.. yeaaaaa.... no :)

Maddict5
03-09-2006, 06:47 AM
not even counting his personal problems- look at last season when he got bad line protection and was throwing 5 int's a game and got a serious injury...yeah he'd fit right in here

O.G.
03-09-2006, 07:33 AM
Why trade for him when he would probably be released and coming off of tearing every ligament in his knee, He wouldn't be back 100% for at least 2 years if not at all.

CoachJim
03-09-2006, 07:59 AM
Only if he invites me to the boat party next year ...

HomeBred_Texan
03-09-2006, 08:23 AM
This is one of the dumbest ideas I have heard yet. :twocents:

NativeJPR
03-09-2006, 08:26 AM
not no but HELL NO

Malloy
03-09-2006, 08:27 AM
Only if he invites me to the boat party next year ...

I think you're on to something there!

O.G.
03-09-2006, 08:28 AM
The only way I would do it isn't with trading David Car, but trading one of our 3rd round picks. That would be the only way. With the baggage and the knee, I think that would be an good deal for a quarterback coming off a bad year, with a new coordinator, bad offensive line and Randy Moss Removed.

throwANDREtheBALL
03-09-2006, 01:34 PM
So your saying if the Texans traded CARR for CULPEPPER it would be a DUMB thing ?

Hmm, even with all the negatives against CULPEPPER, at least he's actually shown he can put it together. How many good seasons has Culpepper had ? How many games has he taken control of, all by himself ?

AND now, how about your boy CARR, I don't believe I've ever seen him do some of the things that Culpepper has already DONE before.

So saying CARR is better than CULPEPPER, at this point in time, is pretty silly.

AND supposedly, MOSS made DAUNTE.....but, what did MOSS do in Oakland this year with COLLINS? hmmm......doesn't ring any bells, huh. Double digit TDs......NOPE. 65+ receptions.....NOPE. Doesn't sound very RANDY MOSSish to me.

Maybe DAUNTE and MOSS helped each other out. And maybe having a QB that's not afraid to throw it up for his top WR, no matter what the coverage, isn't such a bad thing........seeing as we have ANDRE JOHNSON......I'm pretty sure he's the closest thing (FREAKISHLY-ATHLETIC) to MOSS, when it comes to speed and vertical.

Wait, no, no, no, no, I'm loyal to a QB who hasn't proven JACK-$*!^ yet so I think that trade would be a REAL stupid idea.

:stirpot:

touttail
03-11-2006, 10:59 AM

I have said from day one, that Carr not having any kind of competetion has been a problem. He has known since he was drafted that he was "the man"!

Bobby 119C

touttail
03-11-2006, 11:01 AM

Alot more yachts to choose from in Kemah than in Minnesota!!!
:deadhorse

Bobby 119C

Erratic Assassin
03-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Haha, I'll have to pass. If his knee wasn't obliterated, I might be tempted, but we don't need a gimpy QB. Now if he was in form from 2 years ago, I'd say YEAH! :drool:

Even worse is putting a guy with a gimpy knee behind our offensive line and wasting the 2nd round pick we could use to bolster said line.

Love the avatar dude, "I'm what you call mildly retarded"

TEXANRED
03-11-2006, 01:01 PM
You and I know there is only one man who can lead the Texans from the Dead Sea of 2-14 to the Promised Land. His name has 5 letters (and no, it's not Moses). Let's just accept this as fact and move on with our lives as football fans.
Well David is five letters, I hope that is what you are talking about, Carr is only four letters.

Are we on a first name basis with D.C. now?

HoustonFan
03-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Stick w/ Carr.

The Myth
03-11-2006, 02:37 PM
...and add something like" Besides, he is familiar with Kub's system from seeing it on TV."

Corrosion
03-11-2006, 03:07 PM
It has been reported that Minn is seeking a 2nd round pick for Culpepper .... Thats why the Raiders pulled out of talks for him.

heard this on ESPN this morning .... sorry no link

HoustonFan
03-11-2006, 03:13 PM
That knee concerns me. I still don't think Carr is bad though. Besides, I know it's a risk taking a player w/ injury problems. I hope that Casserly has learned from Boseli and Jopru - all I'll say. I hope McNair and associates have learned since they are cutting the checks.

infantrycak
03-11-2006, 04:04 PM
I hope that Casserly has learned from Boseli and Jopru - all I'll say.

Joppru had zero injuries before coming to the Texans.

infantrycak
08-22-2006, 05:29 PM
Hmmm, no one was big on this idea back in March. Now it appears Culpepper is going to be back for the start of the regular season and we know he went for a 2nd round pick--obviously our pick was a higher 2nd than Miami's. This roll-out WCO sure does seem like a good fit for a guy with his size, wheels and above all accuracy.

Hey swt--:stirpot:

Brandon420tx
08-22-2006, 05:36 PM
Its bad enough Carr threads are spawned everyday, but to raise one from the dead is just torture!:crying: :crying:

HomeBred_Texan
08-22-2006, 05:38 PM
Poll? What Poll?

texan279
08-22-2006, 05:39 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/texan279/asdfsadf.jpg

:chicken:

infantrycak
08-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Its bad enough Carr threads are spawned everyday, but to raise one from the dead is just torture!:crying: :crying:

Sorry--it had to be done to distract from the Sage debate. :cool:

Look, this isn't even a Carr issue almost. We are talking about a QB who didn't get the MVP because Manning set an all time record of 49 TD's. Looking at this offense IMO Culpepper would have this thing clicking on all cylinders.

real
08-22-2006, 05:47 PM
Sorry--it had to be done to distract from the Sage debate. :cool:

Look, this isn't even a Carr issue almost. We are talking about a QB who didn't get the MVP because Manning set an all time record of 49 TD's. Looking at this offense IMO Culpepper would have this thing clicking on all cylinders.

I agree.