PDA

View Full Version : Mock 1: Discussion Thread - All mock draft discussion here

DRIFTAWAY
02-13-2006, 06:06 PM
dont the broncos own the redskins draft pick?

Fiddy
02-13-2006, 06:14 PM
dont the broncos own the redskins draft pick? according to sportsline.com, they dont...

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/draft/update

DRIFTAWAY
02-13-2006, 06:20 PM
oh hm i was under the impression Broncos had 2 late first rounders, i might have heard wrong though

TEXANS84
02-13-2006, 06:48 PM
oh hm i was under the impression Broncos had 2 late first rounders, i might have heard wrong though

I actually think you are right, with the Broncos owning #22 and #29. Strange thing is that NFL.com and cbssportsline.com is not reporting it.

Sarg01
02-13-2006, 07:00 PM
Great Blue North Report has done a lot of work on draft order. Here's what they have:

http://www.gbnreport.com/fulldraftorder.html

Even got things like conditional picks from trades and such.

YoungTexanFan
02-13-2006, 08:29 PM
ya, i took the broncos under the impression that they had 2 picks. We did it that way in the other MB mock, and I have seen every mock having two first round picks and have seen plenty of discusions about their two picks.

TexanBacker93
02-13-2006, 09:14 PM
The Broncos have the Redskins 1st round pick, #22, and their 4th round pick, #118 from the trade during the 2005 draft. The Redskins acquired Denver's 1st round pick so they could draft Jason Campbell. ESPN and the Redskins website have it correct as do most of the major mock draft scouting sites. I have no idea why CBS has it incorrect. NFL.COM is associated with them so that why they have it incorrect as well.

Khari
02-13-2006, 09:16 PM
http://www.redskins.com/news/draftCentralDetail.jsp?id=14118

Indeed, the draft could become the Broncos' busiest in years in terms of the number of selections available. The Broncos have extra first- and fourth-round selections thanks to their April 2005 trade with the Washington Redskins. They don't have a seventh-round pick, which they surrendered in the trade for Todd Sauerbrun, but Shanahan expects the team to receive compensatory picks for free-agent losses that included defensive end Reggie Hayward and safety Kenoy Kennedy last offseason.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=5272

texman8
02-13-2006, 11:03 PM
Didn't Raiders win coin flip with 49ers? So it should be Raiders at #6, 49ers at #7.

Fiddy
02-13-2006, 11:44 PM
Ok Broncos have the Skins pick, my bad everyone...Didn't Raiders win coin flip with 49ers? So it should be Raiders at #6, 49ers at #7. There was a report that said the Raiders won it on Jan. 2nd but the NFL said the coin flip would be held after the Super Bowl and I havent heard about the flip yet...

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/13535021.htm

Vinny
02-14-2006, 09:31 AM
I will update this after I make some coffee...I wasn't in yesterday after noon...sorry for the non-reply to the PM's to all. Selections only in this thread please...I'm going to delete this message when I update the mock. If we don't have a pick discussion thread up I will make one...or move the off-topic there when I finish.

thanks,
V

Khari
02-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Discussion in this thread....

Selections only in the selection thread... :redtowel:

Vinny
02-14-2006, 10:13 AM
fine! saves me some trouble..thanks

Khari
02-14-2006, 10:13 AM
i beat u!

beerlover
02-14-2006, 11:58 AM
a very muted response to the Texans selection :listening

no BIG offers.....not that surprising, fact the record shows Carr is the Texans QB resigned to a 3 year multi-million dollar extension and the new coach is a former QB who develops QB's makes alot of sense for the 1st time in franchise history the Texans take the BPA :twocents:

Blake
02-14-2006, 12:29 PM
a very muted response to the Texans selection :listening

no BIG offers.....not that surprising, fact the record shows Carr is the Texans QB resigned to a 3 year multi-million dollar extension and the new coach is a former QB who develops QB's makes alot of sense for the 1st time in franchise history the Texans take the BPA :twocents:

Its hard to get a good offer, when I cant accept future picks, or veterans, and we are only doing a 4 round mock...

Although for the sake of taking a big need, I would have taken a 2nd and 3rd to swap with the Jets. But couldnt make it happen.

Hottoddie
02-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Its hard to get a good offer, when I cant accept future picks, or veterans, and we are only doing a 4 round mock...

Although for the sake of taking a big need, I would have taken a 2nd and 3rd to swap with the Jets. But couldnt make it happen.

Did you look into trading down to the 10-15 range & then trading back up to the 4th pick? I know that the Jets have a lot of needs to fill & might've been willing to drop down a little for an extra pick, or two.

While you might not have gotten a boat load of picks, if this draft allowed us to trade players, you might have picked up a young player.

For instance, in Dunta_23's mock, I made a trade that involved a couple of picks, but I was able to pick up Matt Roth in the deal. That way, you can give up all the picks you acquired (assuming you had to) to move back up to #4 to select D'Brick, & still have a young player to show for your efforts.

Sarg01
02-14-2006, 02:11 PM
For instance, in Dunta_23's mock, I made a trade that involved a couple of picks, but I was able to pick up Matt Roth in the deal. That way, you can give up all the picks you acquired (assuming you had to) to move back up to #4 to select D'Brick, & still have a young player to show for your efforts.

In this mock, however, he's not allowed to trade for Matt Roth or any other signed player. He's not allowed to trade for future picks. With the rules set the way they were, I can't imagine anyone trading up to #1. Only #2 and #3 could afford to, and neither team had any reason to.

Vinny
02-14-2006, 02:15 PM
The first year we did this (way back when) we had a billion silly trades that were unrealistic and impossible due to cap or whatever....everyone just ends up arguing about what is possible and what isn't, so we have just left it out since then. When you can trade anyone for anything it's just a circus with everyone swapping something. It just tends to be less realistic than a mock with fewer trades that may not be ideal...but is closer to normal than total chaos.

swtbound07
02-14-2006, 06:04 PM
The Falcons Have traded with the Raiders

Falcons get
#7 overall pick

Raiders Get
#15 overall pick
Falcons 2nd Round pick. Unsure of number

DRIFTAWAY
02-14-2006, 06:10 PM
jets entertaining trade offers for the 4th pick

Vinny
02-14-2006, 07:12 PM
The Falcons Have traded with the Raiders

Falcons get
#7 overall pick

Raiders Get
#15 overall pick
Falcons 2nd Round pick. Unsure of number
http://www.secondcity.com/scimg/grimley.gifI just got the call from Big Al..."I must say, Commitment to Excellence and all that."

The Vinny Raiders confirms the deal.

http://www.zwpatch.com/images/sports/oakland_raiders_be_a_raider_rooter.jpg

Vinny
02-14-2006, 07:26 PM
NFL | Raiders Trade Down
Tuesday, February 2006 18:36:47

Updating previous reports, Al Davis stuns the NFL by trading down with the Falcons and also announced that Art Shell is the new starter at Left Tackle.

DRIFTAWAY
02-14-2006, 08:10 PM
what time is my pick due, and for anyone else whose interested i have two good offers on the table to trade down, so id hurry up and make an offer if interested.

Fiddy
02-14-2006, 08:11 PM
what time is my pick due, and for anyone else whose interested i have two good offers on the table to trade down, so id hurry up and make an offer if interested. Your time is acually up, 12 hrs. have passed since the last pick...please choose now...

DRIFTAWAY
02-14-2006, 08:27 PM
ah sorry i was unaware of this, pick coming now,

DRIFTAWAY
02-14-2006, 08:31 PM
The New York Jets trade the #4 pick to the Detroit Lions for their #9 pick, and their 2nd round pick(#40 I believe) In Return the Lions will also recieve the Jets 4th round pick.(102ish?)

Hottoddie
02-14-2006, 08:34 PM
With the 5th pick in the draft, the Green Bay Packers choose D'Brickashaw Ferguson (OT) Virginia.

It's hard to pass up on a Franchise LT.

Vinny
02-14-2006, 08:37 PM
The New York Jets trade the #4 pick to the Detroit Lions for their #9 pick, and their 2nd round pick(#40 I believe) In Return the Lions will also recieve the Jets 4th round pick.(102ish?)Your time is up and Beerlover isnt here to confirm the trade.

The Preacher
02-14-2006, 08:44 PM
With the 5th pick in the draft, the Green Bay Packers choose D'Brickashaw Ferguson (OT) Virginia.

It's hard to pass up on a Franchise LT.

Can't imagine what those Jets fans are thinking now. :sos:

DRIFTAWAY
02-14-2006, 08:47 PM
lol the jets will be fine

swtbound07
02-14-2006, 08:50 PM
i think beerlover's selection constitutes as accepting the trade...so the 49ers are on the clock, dbrick and mario are now gone?

The Preacher
02-14-2006, 08:50 PM
lol the jets will be fine

Sorry just bored nice trade.

Hottoddie
02-14-2006, 09:22 PM
I'm not sure if we can trade the rights to a player that's been selected, but I trust that the mods will let me know if that's not the case.

Having said that, D'Brickashaw Ferguson is available for trade to the highest bidder. PM me with your best offer. I'm not going to go back & forth between bidders. If I like the trade, I'll take the best offer.

beerlover
02-15-2006, 03:38 AM
This is a terrific trade up for the Lions to draft a elite top 5 defensive prospect that you just don't see every year in the draft. The Lions who need to upgrade the LE (Corey Redding) would then consist of Mario Williams @ LE Shaun Rogers LT Dan Wilkinson RT and James Hall RE give the Lions one of the top lines in the NFL. New defensvie minded coach of the Detroit Lions Rod Marinelli was the Tampa Bay Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Line Coach, two of his best friends are Lovie Smith (Chicago Bears HC) and Monte Kiffin, defensive coordinator for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers & he has been quoted as saying "I want to have a great defensive line because that will last for 16 consecutive weeks when you start building up front. Obviously every position is important, but thatís where Iíll focus".

The only other player who interested me if I was going to wait with the 9th pick, hoping he would slip and he did not (Texman8 selected) was AJ Hawk who went as the 6th pick overall. Therefore the Lions are thrilled to make this trade to help become the turnaround Cinderalla story of 06.

Sarg01
02-15-2006, 08:11 AM
Bills are entertaining trade offers for pick #8.

Vinny
02-15-2006, 10:31 AM
come on sarge...the 12 hr clock is for getting to the computer, and not to use as trade time. In the NFL you have 15 mins. Take a bit of time if you wish...but try not to take the full 12 hours just because you have a half-day window.

Sarg01
02-15-2006, 11:22 AM
come on sarge...the 12 hr clock is for getting to the computer, and not to use as trade time. In the NFL you have 15 mins. Take a bit of time if you wish...but try not to take the full 12 hours just because you have a half-day window.

As you wish, I have just made the pick, but in the NFL you don't have to wait for the other GMs to get to the computer. I consider trading before a pick comes up to be pretty darn unrealistic in and of itself.

Besides, who picks at 1:30 am in the first place? :)

Anyhow, the Bills select DT Ngata as Coach Jauron has always done best with a big bad DT squishing the run. More importantly, our defense dropped from 2nd to 29th in one year after losing Pat Williams to Free Agency. Sam Adams just isn't getting it done.

swtbound07
02-15-2006, 12:07 PM
As you wish, I have just made the pick, but in the NFL you don't have to wait for the other GMs to get to the computer. I consider trading before a pick comes up to be pretty darn unrealistic in and of itself.

Anyhow, the Bills select DT Ngata as Coach Jauron has always done best with a big bad DT squishing the run. More importantly, our defense dropped from 2nd to 29th in one year after losing Pat Williams to Free Agency. Sam Adams just isn't getting it done.

People who work nights....like me. Anyways, any thoughts on the falcons trading up for huff?

Vinny
02-15-2006, 12:13 PM

I've run this thing for 5 years now and it works best this way since we have 31 other owners to consider. Just look at the dropouts from the dunta23 mock in the mock forum. Sorry if you don't like it but you should have read my rules before you signed up.

Sarg01
02-15-2006, 02:05 PM
I've run this thing for 5 years now and it works best this way since we have 31 other owners to consider. Just look at the dropouts from the dunta23 mock in the mock forum. Sorry if you don't like it but you should have read my rules before you signed up.

I apologize, I must have missed the post where you stated that trades should be conducted before the pick came up. Please don't take offense - I did pick as soon as you made your stance on the matter clear.

Sarg01
02-15-2006, 02:09 PM
People who work nights....like me. Anyways, any thoughts on the falcons trading up for huff?

It's a good trade. The DBs in this draft aren't weak, per se, but Huff's the only one likely to perform like a Dunta or DeAngelo. There's no way you would have gotten him at #15. We all know the Falcons desperately needed secondary help. Had he been at #8, I might have been torn about taking him.

Vinny
02-15-2006, 02:36 PM
I apologize, I must have missed the post where you stated that trades should be conducted before the pick came up. Please don't take offense - I did pick as soon as you made your stance on the matter clear.well...nothing to apologize for and I don't mean to be harsh. It's a slow draft prototype and I do push it along a bit....my bad. I appreciate your patience.

Lucky
02-15-2006, 03:17 PM
I'm not sure if we can trade the rights to a player that's been selected, but I trust that the mods will let me know if that's not the case.
I don't know how what Vinny or Fiddy rule on this, but the reason you don't see this happen much on draft day is because of the rookie salary pool implications. The team that trades up has less $$$ to work with to sign the player. The last time this happened in the actual draft, the Giants had to find a way to sign #1 overall Eli Manning with a smaller # 4 salary slot. It can and has been done. But the reality of the rookie pool makes it more difficult than had the picks alone been traded.

DRIFTAWAY
02-15-2006, 03:18 PM
Jets entertaining offers for the 9th pick

wags
02-15-2006, 05:58 PM
If anyone would like to trade for the 11th pick, I'm interested.

swtbound07
02-15-2006, 11:35 PM
an OG going with the #10 pick? With Hali, Lendale white, Kiwi, and winston justice still on the board? i have to say, that pick shocked me

TexanBacker93
02-16-2006, 12:07 AM
Wow. That's a shocker. I would've thought Gilles could be had in the 2nd, but that's why they have the draft.

Vinny
02-16-2006, 02:14 PM
I'm up in 2 picks.....I'll be willing to move back a few spots if someone is in love with a specific player...Just PM me.

jgl35
02-16-2006, 07:34 PM
Reasoning of the Eagles picking Davis. First of all, I know that DE or LB are needes for the Eagles. But Davis should never be here at 14. Buy drafting Davis the Eagles now have the big receiver they lost in Owens. I know he is listed as a TE, and he can be used there in a two TE system. But, just think of someone his size, with speed lined up outside on a 190lb corner with todats passing rules. Or put him in the slot with one on one LB coverage. He will open up a lot of things for Westbrook and Brown. Also, LJ Smith has a habit of dropping passes. Davis lights a fire under LJ and makes him a better player.

C Madd
02-16-2006, 07:59 PM
Reasoning of the Eagles picking Davis. First of all, I know that DE or LB are needes for the Eagles. But Davis should never be here at 14. Buy drafting Davis the Eagles now have the big receiver they lost in Owens. I know he is listed as a TE, and he can be used there in a two TE system. But, just think of someone his size, with speed lined up outside on a 190lb corner with todats passing rules. Or put him in the slot with one on one LB coverage. He will open up a lot of things for Westbrook and Brown. Also, LJ Smith has a habit of dropping passes. Davis lights a fire under LJ and makes him a better player.
The man is a beast.

beerlover
02-16-2006, 08:05 PM
Vinny time :) placing bets on who the http://www.flagsource.com/2003/nfl/RAIDERS.FLAG3X5.jpg select......:stirpot:

beerlover
02-16-2006, 08:10 PM
I could see the Raiders addressing their aging defensive line, this guy looks like he is ready to start in the NFL and would look awful good in silver & black

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/23/232656.jpg

YoungTexanFan
02-16-2006, 08:19 PM
I could see the Raiders addressing their aging defensive line, this guy looks like he is ready to start in the NFL and would look awful good in silver & black

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/23/232656.jpg

I think its quite a bit too early for Watson.

Vinny
02-16-2006, 08:44 PM
No talking about guys not picked.....breaking golden rule of slow drafts. Someone may be waiting for a prospect to slide to him and you are giving the other guys ideas.

Big Al wants a DT but Uncle Vinny overrules him and the Raiders select..... Jay Cutler Sr. QB Vanderbilt

swtbound07
02-16-2006, 09:12 PM
No talking about guys not picked.....breaking golden rule of slow drafts. Someone may be waiting for a prospect to slide to him and you are giving the other guys ideas.

Big Al wants a DT but Uncle Vinny overrules him and the Raiders select..... Jay Cutler Sr. QB Vanderbilt

Cutler-Moss.......hopefully will ring true like
culpepper-moss

beerlover
02-16-2006, 10:28 PM

Like they don't have their own :idea:

all I was suggesting is that Gabe would look good in Silver & Black, matter of fact he would look good in Texans colors, a better fit than Travis Johnson for the 3-4. Michigan produces awesome lineman as a rule & I understood he really impressed at the Senior bowl, clearly the top DT. ha heck there I go breaking the golden rule, hush hush and all http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/gabewatson.html oops :brickwall

texman8
02-16-2006, 10:32 PM
Probably, could get Watson in 2nd round.

Vinny
02-16-2006, 11:36 PM
Like they don't have their own :idea:

all I was suggesting is that Gabe would look good in Silver & Black, matter of fact he would look good in Texans colors, a better fit than Travis Johnson for the 3-4. Michigan produces awesome lineman as a rule & I understood he really impressed at the Senior bowl, clearly the top DT. ha heck there I go breaking the golden rule, hush hush and all http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/gabewatson.html oops :brickwallit was just a quick comment. Probably not a real golden rule anywhere. It just evolves into coaching picks. I want to stay away from that...that's all.

Lucky
02-16-2006, 11:54 PM
the Raiders select..... Jay Cutler Sr. QB Vanderbilt
Great move to drop down and still get the QB right in front of the Fins.

Love jgl35's pick of Davis. Why can't Vernon play outside?

Vinny
02-17-2006, 12:08 AM
Great move to drop down and still get the QB right in front of the Fins.

Love jgl35's pick of Davis. Why can't Vernon play outside?Everyone's happy so I'm happy. Big Al isn't happy but he doesn't know it since we changed his medications before the draft. Al usually trades up in most drafts not down, but what the heck, I have run of the place.

http://www.chargertom.com/RaidersDavisBocci1.jpg

TEXANS84
02-17-2006, 12:31 AM

I called that one Vinny!

Vinny
02-17-2006, 12:32 AM
I think camp Vinny has a leak.

DRIFTAWAY
02-19-2006, 05:36 PM
so what does everyone think of all the picks so far

tulexan
02-19-2006, 05:43 PM
i think they are pretty good

swtbound07
02-19-2006, 07:46 PM
i think they are pretty good

i concur....i have no real issues with anything that has transpired

Vinny
02-21-2006, 12:57 PM
I made the call for Carpenter to the Seachickens since the clock was overdrawn...I think the Hawks are afraid of Sharper's knees now and Carpenter will add some size and smarts as well as ability beside the undersized but outstanding rookie Lofa Tatapu. I was looking at a Guard and a WR here as well but felt the Carpenter pick was the way to go for the Seahawks with how the board sits after the first 30 picks.

http://www.centralohio.com/ohiostate/football/season2002/gallery/texastech/photo01.jpg

Maddict5
02-21-2006, 01:05 PM
i concur....i have no real issues with anything that has transpired

no problem?? how about taking a projected 2nd-3rd round G and picking him in the top 10:challenge - seriously my interest in this declined dramatically after that

Vinny
02-21-2006, 01:12 PM
no problem?? how about taking a projected 2nd-3rd round G and picking him in the top 10:challenge - seriously my interest in this declined dramatically after thatThis mock is pretty much for people to research the teams and their needs, and have a little fun while learing the players in the draft a little better....all kind of a learning thing. Since when did you think that a Feb mock gets even the top 10 right? Take a look at last years version and it's not even close to last years draft (just like all the other FEB mocks of years gone past).

College Texan
02-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Any offers for the last pick in the first round. There is still alot of people like Kiwi, Maroney, and Bing. I want a second and a third.

F-minus67
02-21-2006, 02:32 PM
I don't know why your freaking out about Jean-Gilles going with the 10th, last year someone took Matt Jones when he was a 2nd/3rd round pick and it happened in the real draft last year.

Blake
02-21-2006, 02:35 PM
I made the call for Carpenter to the Seachickens since the clock was overdrawn...I think the Hawks are afraid of Sharper's knees now and Carpenter will add some size and smarts as well as ability beside the undersized but outstanding rookie Lofa Tatapu. I was looking at a Guard and a WR here as well but felt the Carpenter pick was the way to go for the Seahawks with how the board sits after the first 30 picks.

Yeah, Im going to have to sort of, disagree with you on that. Hes been messing up on his TPS reports...

Ok, seriously, I think that they had more needs than LB. With Leroy Hill, and Lofa Tatupu coming on strong last year, I think they were ok at LB. I think Moss would have been better, or even Maroney for Alexander insurance. I also think that Ernie Sims is a better LB than Carpenter.

But thats just me.

Vinny
02-21-2006, 02:49 PM
Yeah, Im going to have to sort of, disagree with you on that. Hes been messing up on his TPS reports...

Ok, seriously, I think that they had more needs than LB. With Leroy Hill, and Lofa Tatupu coming on strong last year, I think they were ok at LB. I think Moss would have been better, or even Maroney for Alexander insurance. I also think that Ernie Sims is a better LB than Carpenter.

But thats just me.The Seahawks need some size at Sam linebacker. They have two small players in Hill and Tatapu and Simms is just another smallish linebacker that fits better in a Tamp2 system or perhaps as a Saftey for someone. The Seahawks have issues with the Sam backer...not the mike (Tatapu) or the Will (Hills spot), and Carpenter is a Sam linebacker. I don't like Maroney as a NFL player myself, so I didn't even consider him. I like Joseph Addai more as a NFL back long term. Carpenter replaces the dissapointing Sharper. Sims is too small at 220 to play the Sam.

Blake
02-21-2006, 02:51 PM
The Seahawks need some size at Sam linebacker. They have two small players in Hill and Tatapu and Simms is just another smallish linebacker that fits better in a Tamp2 system or perhaps as a Saftey for someone. The Seahawks have issues with the Sam backer...not the mike (Tatapu) or the Will (Hills spot), and Carpenter is a Sam linebacker. I don't like Maroney as a NFL player myself, so I didn't even consider him. I like Joseph Addai more as a NFL back long term.

I like Addai alot too.

Blake
02-21-2006, 09:05 PM
Well, the Texans made their 2nd round choice. Any input? Feedback? Questions? Thoughts? Happy? Unhappy?

Lucky
02-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Well, the Texans made their 2nd round choice. Any input? Feedback? Questions? Thoughts? Happy? Unhappy?
I think Scott is a good pick at this point. A year of pro instruction and weight training could make Scott a potential starting tackle in '07. Scott's quickness makes him a good fit for the Texans zone blocking scheme.

beerlover
02-22-2006, 12:25 AM
I'd like it (selecting Jonathan Scott) better if you picked Vince Young with the 1st pick then they could pick right up where they left off as teammates :twocents:

Maddict5
02-22-2006, 05:22 AM
This mock is pretty much for people to research the teams and their needs, and have a little fun while learing the players in the draft a little better....all kind of a learning thing. Since when did you think that a Feb mock gets even the top 10 right? Take a look at last years version and it's not even close to last years draft (just like all the other FEB mocks of years gone past).

hey im not freaking out- the question was- was there any picks you didnt like..i dont like that pick its not going to happen..look at all the players that were there he could've taken... i just wanted a reasonably realistic mock. as for matt jones(not you vinny), he was a projected late 1st- early 2nd so being a monster athlete at WR and eing selected 24th or whatever is different from a G in the top 10

BuffSoldier
02-22-2006, 07:30 AM

I think that it was the best choice, though I would have love to have seen Leonard Pope, who is still on the board, have a Texans jersey on.

I don't know why your freaking out about Jean-Gilles going with the 10th, last year someone took Matt Jones when he was a 2nd/3rd round pick and it happened in the real draft last year.

Thats because Matt Jones shot up draft boards after the combine when he ran a sub 4.4 fourty and had a 40 inch vertical. Not to metion that he was 6'6 and 240. He was a gamble pick. People dont take top ten gambles with second round OGs. He would have been available at there spot in the second round.

wags
02-22-2006, 10:00 AM
If Gilles is drafted in the first it will not be a shock. Not many guards are named SEC player of the week.

infantrycak
02-22-2006, 10:12 AM
If Gilles is drafted in the first it will not be a shock. Not many guards are named SEC player of the week.

May not go #10, but just recently I have seen him listed as 1st round on the NFLDraftBlitz value board and going in the first round on DraftStudio.com, Draftshowcase.com and robscouting.com.

SESupergenius
02-22-2006, 11:35 AM
Say what you want but I've followed the Cardinals a bit this season and the most glaring weakness was the offensive line in rushing the ball. They have decent backs and unless USC's White had a line in front of him I wasn't going to pick another RB just to have their talent wasted behind a bad rushing line. I've evaluated Giles and feel that he's the best flexible lineman in this draft because he can play both RT and guard. I looked at the Cardinals defense, which ranked in the top 10 last year, and really they've only need to upgrade the CB because they are playing well as a unit. I would have gone after Cutler but the Cardinals just signed Warner and committed to him. So really, after the 9th spot, pretty much everyone on down is not a top 10 pick. It's not the most popular pick but people get too intralled by the "superstar" pick and miss out on good quality players. The Steelers and the Patriots have been doing this for quite a few seasons now.

texasguy346
02-22-2006, 11:56 AM

I like the pick, but I might have looked for a guy like Davin Joseph instead. I'm of the mindset that we need more interior OLine help than on the edges, but obviously if your one that thinks the OT positions need immediate help then the Scott pick makes a lot of sense. I think Joseph would be an ideal fit as an OG for the zone blocking scheme. I definately wouldn't be upset if the Texans ended up with Scott though, so still a good pick.

Lucky
02-22-2006, 12:03 PM
...I've evaluated Giles and feel that he's the best flexible lineman in this draft because he can play both RT and guard...
That's a good point. I think Max played tackle as a freshman in the Sugar Bowl where Musa Smith ran all over the Seminoles. Gilles also started at RT his soph season.

As far as whether teams draft guards that high, how long did the Cards play Leonard Davis (#2 overall in '01) at guard before moving him to LT? 3 or 4 seasons?

Vinny
02-22-2006, 12:33 PM
I put this in the pick thread but will drag it down here in the commentary section also...

The Saints pick Daryn Colledge, OT, Boise St to go with Matt Leinart and the new, New Orleans Saints offense. Wayne Gandy is 35 next season and this will give the Saints two young bookend Tackles to go with their new field general.

The Driftaway Jets proxied the pick of the Georgia TE Leonard Pope.

beerlover
02-22-2006, 12:35 PM
They have decent backs and unless USC's White had a line in front of him I wasn't going to pick another RB just to have their talent wasted behind a bad rushing line.

Why not take Winston Justice instead? He could play RG and surely would be a better RT and is coveted much more because of it.

I've evaluated Giles and feel that he's the best flexible lineman in this draft because he can play both RT and guard.

Giles is a straight ahead road grader, a nasty dude for the interior line. now way in heck does he project to the outside, he does not have the lateral movement, has short stubby arms, lacks height and technique for the tackle position. I've watched him too and he does'nt even stay with his assingments he just keeps rolling over guys downfield looking for something else to knock over not in the concept of the play or reacting to events on the field. He is a 2nd round grade Guard at best.

Lucky
02-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Giles is a straight ahead road grader, a nasty dude for the interior line. now way in heck does he project to the outside, he does not have the lateral movement, has short stubby arms, lacks height and technique for the tackle position.
Gilles arms measured 36" in length at the Senior Bowl (2nd longest to Ferguson's 36.25" arms). Where are you getting this stuff?

Blake
02-22-2006, 02:17 PM
I think the Max Jean-gilles pick is definately a need but, a TE like Vernon Davis would have fit better. But I still like Gilles.

Lucky
02-22-2006, 03:38 PM
I think the Max Jean-gilles pick is definately a need but, a TE like Vernon Davis would have fit better. But I still like Gilles.
Vernon Davis could be an outstanding receiving TE, but the Cards already have 2 receivers capable of 100 catch seasons. There are only so many footballs to go around. Davis would have fit a lot of folks' draft boards, but he's not what the Cards need.

DRIFTAWAY
02-22-2006, 03:43 PM
how do you feel about Pope to Jets?

beerlover
02-22-2006, 03:48 PM
Gilles arms measured 36" in length at the Senior Bowl (2nd longest to Ferguson's 36.25" arms). Where are you getting this stuff?

the senior bowl huh, well they where probably scared not to mention his actual length and gave him that extra inch :eek: whatever we will know for sure after this week at the combine. In any case I don't go around measuring guys arm pits I just watch on TV, sometimes live if I'm LUCKY :heh: if he does have LONG ARMS he does not use them techniquely sound for a tackle its more of a push off. I disagree with any notion he plays as big as he might be or he could ever play the tackle position in the NFL.

SESupergenius
02-22-2006, 04:33 PM
From what I saw in the limited games I've seen him, he's manhandled every opponent, something that the Cards need. A TE at #10 better be a quaranteed player like Winslow.....oh wait, nevermind. After the 9th slot there really is not a great deal of seperation in talent.

beerlover
02-22-2006, 04:47 PM
From what I saw in the limited games I've seen him, he's manhandled every opponent, something that the Cards need. A TE at #10 better be a quaranteed player like Winslow.....oh wait, nevermind. After the 9th slot there really is not a great deal of seperation in talent.

thats why being Detroit GM I traded up to get Mario Williams. that being said there is plenty of talent capable of making an impact for a NFL team. If your taking OL help there is the big three D'Brick, McNeil & Winston (Justice). But there is also a strong grouping in the 2nd round & lots of solid Guards in 3rd.

Vinny
02-22-2006, 04:50 PM
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/nfl/2000/0509/photo/s_davis.jpg
This one is Al's call and as you can see, he’s excited. Al likes physical prototypes with nice one-syllable last names. Schweigert has always been tough on Al.

Maddict5
02-23-2006, 10:32 AM
Say what you want but I've followed the Cardinals a bit this season and the most glaring weakness was the offensive line in rushing the ball. They have decent backs and unless USC's White had a line in front of him I wasn't going to pick another RB just to have their talent wasted behind a bad rushing line. I've evaluated Giles and feel that he's the best flexible lineman in this draft because he can play both RT and guard. I looked at the Cardinals defense, which ranked in the top 10 last year, and really they've only need to upgrade the CB because they are playing well as a unit. I would have gone after Cutler but the Cardinals just signed Warner and committed to him. So really, after the 9th spot, pretty much everyone on down is not a top 10 pick. It's not the most popular pick but people get too intralled by the "superstar" pick and miss out on good quality players. The Steelers and the Patriots have been doing this for quite a few seasons now.

i agree there o-line is bad but trade down and pick him up late in the 1st he'll still be there. if you cant get a trade- address their other weaknesses. they could've done with a tackle, cb, S. or how about addressing 1 of their most obvious weaknesses- their red-zone offence. take a monster like vernon davis and that situation is immediately upgraded. if you'd done something like that you would've addressed their needs and it would've been a value pick not a reach. and the steelers and pats have been doing this in the LATE 1st round and lower rounds not with a high pick

EDIT- ok other people have already said davis but Lucky- he would be a good receiver but its in the red zone that he would be huge for them- neil rackers set an nfl record for fg's for a reason. also SE since when is a G a sure thing-winslow isnt even a bust yet- just been injured. anyway all il say is you could count the number of people, on this site, that would've sellected max there in 1 hand- namely you and the jean-gilles household j/k

Vinny
02-23-2006, 10:54 AM
i agree there o-line is bad but trade down and pick him up late in the 1st he'll still be there. if you cant get a trade- address their other weaknesses. they could've done with a tackle, cb, S. or how about addressing 1 of their most obvious weaknesses- their red-zone offence. take a monster like vernon davis and that situation is immediately upgraded. You kinda blow up your entire argument here. The Cards have two BIG TIME targets in the red zone. What they need is a beast in the line who can move run stuffing personel out of the middle and give them a running threat to go with Boldin and Fitz. The Cards short yardage and red zone offense was brutal due to a lack of a ground threat.

Vinny
02-23-2006, 11:49 AM
I have my Titan pick ready if markbeth doesn't show up and pick soon.

cap1
02-23-2006, 02:00 PM
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/nfl/2000/0509/photo/s_davis.jpg
This one is Al's call and as you can see, heís excited. Al likes physical prototypes with nice one-syllable last names. Schweigert has always been tough on Al.

Vinny nice pick and picture.

beerlover
02-23-2006, 03:42 PM

this just in from the Combine-

Guards

Tallest: Dan Stevenson, Notre Dame, 6-foot-5 1/8
Heaviest: Max Jean-Gilles, Georgia, 355 pounds
Longest arms: Davin Joseph, Oklahoma, 35 1/8 inches
Biggest hands: Davin Joseph, Oklahoma, 11 1/4 inches

still not sure of Gilles actual arm length but its less than 35 1/8 :ok:

Maddict5
02-23-2006, 03:46 PM
You kinda blow up your entire argument here. The Cards have two BIG TIME targets in the red zone. What they need is a beast in the line who can move run stuffing personel out of the middle and give them a running threat to go with Boldin and Fitz. The Cards short yardage and red zone offense was brutal due to a lack of a ground threat.

TE's are more dangerous in the red zone cos wr find it harder to get free- every1 knows that. you kind of blew up your argument by calling fitz and anquan big time red zone targets when they have a bad red zone offence. however i agree with you- a rb is a big cause of that but so is not having a te to throw to over the middle. running games are alot harder to build and will take time

Vinny
02-23-2006, 03:51 PM
TE's are more dangerous in the red zone cos wr find it harder to get free- every1 knows that. you kind of blew up your argument by calling fitz and anquan big time red zone targets when they have a bad red zone offence. however i agree with you- a rb is a big cause of that but so is not having a te to throw to over the middle. running games are alot harder to build and will take timeFitz and Boldin are big time targets....I don't mind sticking to that point of contention as TE's generally do not score as often as WR's do if you look across the league. The Cardinals offensive problems in the red zone aren't their passing targets. Running games are also easier to put together than passing offenses. That is fairly common knowledge.

SESupergenius
02-23-2006, 06:10 PM
i agree there o-line is bad but trade down and pick him up late in the 1st he'll still be there. if you cant get a trade- address their other weaknesses. they could've done with a tackle, cb, S. or how about addressing 1 of their most obvious weaknesses- their red-zone offence. take a monster like vernon davis and that situation is immediately upgraded. if you'd done something like that you would've addressed their needs and it would've been a value pick not a reach. and the steelers and pats have been doing this in the LATE 1st round and lower rounds not with a high pick

EDIT- ok other people have already said davis but Lucky- he would be a good receiver but its in the red zone that he would be huge for them- neil rackers set an nfl record for fg's for a reason. also SE since when is a G a sure thing-winslow isnt even a bust yet- just been injured. anyway all il say is you could count the number of people, on this site, that would've sellected max there in 1 hand- namely you and the jean-gilles household j/k
I received no trade offers to move down, and then once again, I will state that Giles was in IMO the best versitile lineman available and no one else blew my socks off to make a different pick. The CB situation in AZ was put in a vice with the injury to Rolle so it should be better this year without drafting anyone. As for DTackle, I just picked up a very good dtackle in the 2nd round, so your argument about trading down could have been made for any pick I made at that point. The #10 pick is a borderline value pick, I didn't see anyone banging down my down door dying to trade with me to pick Player X. And as noted, I would have picked Cutler if the Cards had not signed Warner, but they did and this is what I have left to deal with.

jgl35
02-24-2006, 07:18 AM
Worten is a perfect fit for the Eagles D line. Fast off the snap with good push. Great up side as he is only a two year player at LSU. First rounder if he had stayed out of the trouble that was reported.

Maddict5
02-24-2006, 09:33 AM
Fitz and Boldin are big time targets....I don't mind sticking to that point of contention as TE's generally do not score as often as WR's do if you look across the league. The Cardinals offensive problems in the red zone aren't their passing targets. Running games are also easier to put together than passing offenses. That is fairly common knowledge.

you're looking at stats though and you see wrs generally score more tds, which they do, but alot of these are 20 or 30 yard tds. however if you watch games you always see if its a passing play inside the 10 yard line- the te becomes the main target cos cbs dont give wrs as much room as in the open field cos they know the wrs cant get behind them.
also how is it easier for the cards to put together a running game- they have to get new linemen and a good rb. i dont get that common knowledge

Maddict5
02-24-2006, 09:47 AM
I received no trade offers to move down, and then once again, I will state that Giles was in IMO the best versitile lineman available and no one else blew my socks off to make a different pick. The CB situation in AZ was put in a vice with the injury to Rolle so it should be better this year without drafting anyone. As for DTackle, I just picked up a very good dtackle in the 2nd round, so your argument about trading down could have been made for any pick I made at that point. The #10 pick is a borderline value pick, I didn't see anyone banging down my down door dying to trade with me to pick Player X. And as noted, I would have picked Cutler if the Cards had not signed Warner, but they did and this is what I have left to deal with.

hes a huge G and not even the most highly rated 1 at that. i cant even think of a college G that has been picked in the top 10 the last few years. hutchinson went somewhere around 20 if i remember correctly. also AZ could do with a 1st round #2 cb, a FS, or a T not a DT(whick is what you thought i said)..just looking at the draft now-white, jimmy williams, ko simpson,davis,mcneil, winston, tye hill would all have been more value picks while also filling needs thats all

Vinny
02-24-2006, 10:41 AM
you're looking at stats though and you see wrs generally score more tds, which they do, but alot of these are 20 or 30 yard tds. however if you watch games you always see if its a passing play inside the 10 yard line- the te becomes the main target cos cbs dont give wrs as much room as in the open field cos they know the wrs cant get behind them.
also how is it easier for the cards to put together a running game- they have to get new linemen and a good rb. i dont get that common knowledgeYou are not going to reduce football strategy to 3 or 4 sweeping sentences. I have followed the NFL closely for over 30 years, so while I do appreciate the football lesson, I think that was amazingly simple. The NFL isn't like Madden. Size and power start to become more dominant traits in the red zone and the more physical teams have more advantage when the field shrinks. In Madden, speed is everything. I think too many of you young people think that everything is solved with speed like in Madden.

Passing schemes and blocking for the passing game is much harder to get together than being able to run the ball. If you had to have one problem or the other, the easiest one to fix is the running game. The Cards passing game isn't the broken part of their offense.

I'll update the mock and stuff...i just got in.

Vinny
02-24-2006, 11:19 AM
http://images.chron.com/content/news/photos/05/08/19/texans2.jpg

That's big Al giving Pbuc the wink, wink, nudge, nudge. "Too bad Casserly wasn't trading back in this draft, we could have restored the pride and the glory by May", chortled Big Al.

Why is big Al so happy you ask? Well, the most explosive edge rusher in this draft just fell into the Raiders lap. "Darryl Tapp Owns da Brick", was mumbled as Al was gearing up for some more bocci ball.

http://www.hokiesports.com/SIPhotos/fb2004bowl/images/day2/cc.tapp.media.jpg

Maddict5
02-24-2006, 03:19 PM
You are not going to reduce football strategy to 3 or 4 sweeping sentences. I have followed the NFL closely for over 30 years, so while I do appreciate the football lesson, I think that was amazingly simple. The NFL isn't like Madden. Size and power start to become more dominant traits in the red zone and the more physical teams have more advantage when the field shrinks. In Madden, speed is everything. I think too many of you young people think that everything is solved with speed like in Madden.

Passing schemes and blocking for the passing game is much harder to get together than being able to run the ball. If you had to have one problem or the other, the easiest one to fix is the running game. The Cards passing game isn't the broken part of their offense.

I'll update the mock and stuff...i just got in.

that post didnt make sense to me but anyway- when did i say they had to get speed- you then go on to prove my point about davis? Why did i say the cards needed vernon davis- to help in the red zone. how- because te's are bigger targets in the red zone than wrs (something you said wasnt very important i may add-because fitz and boldin are 'big time red zone targets'). what is Vernon Davis- big and powerful (and speedy) which is why he is the consensus 1st te taken and potential top 10/15 pick.
if its so easy to run the ball, according to you, why cant the cards do it- and why did no team run the ball effectively in the playoffs(when it matters). the cards do have a good at moving the ball through the passing game but it would be alot better for them in the red zone if they had a big time te (whos been compared to antonio gates)- i do agree with you though that their o-line needs help but i wouldve gone for davis in the first and o-line later (especially if you're after G's) which is how this whole sub-debate started

Maddict5
02-24-2006, 03:27 PM
You are not going to reduce football strategy to 3 or 4 sweeping sentences. I have followed the NFL closely for over 30 years, so while I do appreciate the football lesson, I think that was amazingly simple. The NFL isn't like Madden. Size and power start to become more dominant traits in the red zone and the more physical teams have more advantage when the field shrinks. In Madden, speed is everything. I think too many of you young people think that everything is solved with speed like in Madden.

i wasnt going to go back and look at every td the cards scored this season- i saw them live on tv twice and saw the highlights of their other games- and i saw a good share of longer type tds- the only 1 i can remember at present is v sf cos of all the missed tackles.
and if you look in general its is true enough- any1 will tell you that wrs are more dangerous when theres plenty of green ahead of them cos cbs dont want to get beat deep so they give them some space for the shorter routes. i didnt think i was saying anything earth-shattering there but whatever- if you think it was. i thought it was that 'common knowledge' you spoke of

Vinny
02-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Nothing personal but it's hard to read a post with made-up cyber words. Street cred can't help your argument. You want Davis? fine. It's just a mock so lets just get on with it.

wags
02-24-2006, 03:57 PM

Good job so far. I think LB in the third would be good. There is a certain one still on the board. :twocents:

Maddict5
02-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Nothing personal but it's hard to read a post with made-up cyber words. Street cred can't help your argument. You want Davis? fine. It's just a mock so lets just get on with it.

what the.. what did i say... just sounds like a 14 year olds way of accepting they lost an argument. really mature though seriously

Vinny
02-24-2006, 04:06 PM
I was serious, it helps to type in standard English. People will take you more seriously. If you want to think you won some kind of argument...then congrats.

Maddict5
02-24-2006, 04:12 PM
I was serious, it helps to type in standard English. People will take you more seriously. If you want to think you won some kind of argument...then congrats.

1- please give examples of what is wrong with the 2 posts- the only thing i can see wrong with them is i said wouldve and theres without ' and cos instead of because. i wouldnt exactly call that indecipherable
2- you still haven't replied to any of the points i made in the 2 posts

Vinny
02-24-2006, 04:20 PM
I made my statement. You added some points about bpa drafting over need drafting....ok, well I get that's why you don't like the pick. I don't like the pick either but I got over it quickly but I can see the argument. All that other stuff is just gibberish.

Fiddy
02-25-2006, 01:51 AM
Can someone find a better picture of Richard Marshall???

Vinny
02-25-2006, 11:27 AM
i replaced it

Fiddy
02-25-2006, 01:49 PM
i replaced it Thanks Vinny

C Madd
02-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Total brain fart there Vinny. I even checked this page a few times yesterday and still thought it was the Chiefs turn, sorry about that.

Vinny
02-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Total brain fart there Vinny. I even checked this page a few times yesterday and still thought it was the Chiefs turn, sorry about that.no biggie. we'll see ya next pick..

Vinny
02-27-2006, 08:29 AM
The mock is slowing to a crawl....

In anycase....The Ledzeppelin269 Bears will take Andrew Whitworth, OT LSU. Whitworth probably won't be here when the Bears make their pick so they are excited to shore up their offensive line with the physically dominant and durable Whitworth.

Hottoddie
02-27-2006, 08:06 PM
The mock is slowing to a crawl....

In anycase....The Ledzeppelin269 Bears will take Andrew Whitworth, OT LSU. Whitworth probably won't be here when the Bears make their pick so they are excited to shore up their offensive line with the physically dominant and durable Whitworth.

....., because "The-Wiz" hasn't popped in to the board in over a week.

Vinny
02-27-2006, 08:17 PM
that shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Last Activity: 1 Week Ago 11:21 AM

Who wants to make the Bucs pick?

jgl35
02-27-2006, 10:28 PM
I will do it. Give me a minute to look Tampa over.

Hottoddie
02-27-2006, 11:13 PM
that shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Last Activity: 1 Week Ago 11:21 AM

Who wants to make the Bucs pick?

Cool. Now that's what I call an executive decision..:thumbup

Porky
03-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Blue ran like a 4.72 40 when I watched the NFL network last night. I watched a bunch of the DB's run. Unless he gets into the mid 4.6's, I expect his stock to plummet. But, we shall see.

wags
03-01-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm sorry someone has to feel my wrath on this but I think Blue is terrible. He was pathetic in coverage all year. In the West Virginia game he was pathetic and he blew the Auburn game by giving up a 60 yarder on 4th and 10. He puts some good hits on people but he is nowhere near the tackler T. Davis is, and when you add in his pathetic coverage skills I wouldn't even waste a pick on this guy.

Last year I warned people about Fred Gibson and he was cut before the preseason even started. This year I warn you of Greg Blue.

Blake
03-01-2006, 03:51 PM
The Texans 3rd round picks are in. Holla back at me with some thoughts.

Dunta_23
03-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Im suprised Whitner fell to the 3rd round...He is great value at that point...

Blake
03-01-2006, 04:14 PM

Thats what I thought. Zemaitis wont be around in the 3rd come draft day either.

The Preacher
03-01-2006, 04:26 PM
I'm sorry someone has to feel my wrath on this but I think Blue is terrible. He was pathetic in coverage all year. In the West Virginia game he was pathetic and he blew the Auburn game by giving up a 60 yarder on 4th and 10. He puts some good hits on people but he is nowhere near the tackler T. Davis is, and when you add in his pathetic coverage skills I wouldn't even waste a pick on this guy.

Last year I warned people about Fred Gibson and he was cut before the preseason even started. This year I warn you of Greg Blue.

Sounds like Slay and he is projected 2nd day. You're a Georgia specialist what sleepers do you like from them and how do think Minter will fare in the pros?

Lucky
03-01-2006, 06:23 PM
The Texans 3rd round picks are in. Holla back at me with some thoughts.
I like the picks. The Texans need that type of talent in the secondary, because I think they'll have to blitz often to put pressure on the QB. Keep up the good work. :)

wags
03-01-2006, 09:12 PM
Sounds like Slay and he is projected 2nd day. You're a Georgia specialist what sleepers do you like from them and how do think Minter will fare in the pros?

No real sleepers. Quentin Moses would have been a sleeper at DE, but I think he decided to go back. He will be a stud in college next year.

Minter is a good corner, but nothing more. I imagine he will find a roster spot and keep it for some time. Tim Jennings is a fairly good corner as well, but he's very small.

The OT Roland was the tallest lineman at the combine I believe. He's like 6'9" but I wouldn't want him on the Texans.

Shockley is absolutely terrible. That's putting it nicely.

Gerald Anderson is a huge DT who might be OK in the pros, but probably as a backup. Kedric Golston is one the players who sold their SEC ring on EBAY so I have nothing nice to say about him.

Blake
03-01-2006, 10:24 PM
I like the picks. The Texans need that type of talent in the secondary, because I think they'll have to blitz often to put pressure on the QB. Keep up the good work. :)

Thanks. I also think that the d-linemen were sucked dry at this point. I think a FA DE would be a better buy than getting a 3rd round DE, and picking up a CB, or S in FA.

I was also thinking about Omar Jacobs, with the release of Banks. But I felt that his numbers were inflated, due to his system. Maybe ill get him in the 4th ;)

Vinny
03-02-2006, 10:48 AM
I thought your picks were solid too...both of those guys will not make it to the 3rd round. We will need a more physical CB than Pbuc if we are going cover2 like I hear. In a cover 2 scheme the CB's have got to be good tacklers and play in a zone.

Hottoddie
03-02-2006, 01:01 PM
Vinny,

I almost took Drew with the Packer's pick, but his being 5'6" tall scared me off. Do you really feel that he's a worthwhile pick in the 3rd round? Do you feel that his height will be a detriment in any way? I'm just curious.

Vinny
03-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Vinny,

I almost took Drew with the Packer's pick, but his being 5'6" tall scared me off. Do you really feel that he's a worthwhile pick in the 3rd round? Do you feel that his height will be a detriment in any way? I'm just curious.He's 207 so he's not really small....he's short. He's going to be the next Warrick Dunn and really, he has more speed than Dunn. I don't see any way he falls to the second day of the draft myself.

Maddict5
03-02-2006, 01:28 PM

do we need another SS?

SESupergenius
03-02-2006, 02:29 PM
He's 207 so he's not really small....he's short. He's going to be the next Warrick Dunn and really, he has more speed than Dunn. I don't see any way he falls to the second day of the draft myself.
I got to see Drew play in person against Northwestern. I came away thinking that he hit the holes really well and did very good in space. He catches the ball out of the backfield well. He's a little smallish in height but looks stocky.

texasguy346
03-02-2006, 02:39 PM
When my second round pick came up I had narrowed it down to either Drew or Addai. I really like what both guys bring to the table, but Drew still seemed too much like a 3rd Down type of back. Given the Panthers RB situation the need for a RB who could be an every down type of back was apparent. Thus I went with Addai. If the Panthers had an every down reliable type of back I might very well have went with Drew to be the 3rd Down guy. Nice pick.

Blake
03-02-2006, 10:56 PM
do we need another SS?

If you are happy with Earl, who was injured part of last year as our starter, and Ramone Walker as our backup, then no. But I want someone to push for the SS spot. Not just be a backup, and special teamer. Whitner would push Earl to be better than he is, or Whitner would be the starter come game one. Walker would be instant 3rd stringer, and special team standout again.

D-ReK
03-03-2006, 02:41 AM
If you are happy with Earl, who was injured part of last year as our starter, and Ramone Walker as our backup, then no. But I want someone to push for the SS spot. Not just be a backup, and special teamer. Whitner would push Earl to be better than he is, or Whitner would be the starter come game one. Walker would be instant 3rd stringer, and special team standout again.

I see Whitner as a poor man's Michael Huff...Whitner could really play anywhere in the secondary as he has the coverage skills of a CB and the run stuffing ability of a SS...I personally wouldn't line him up as a CB because I fell his abilities would be best utilized as a FS...

Maddict5
03-03-2006, 05:32 AM

well theres earl and cc brown is a ss. that seems adequate to me. there are more pressing needs imo eslinger, joseph and klopfenstein were all there-thats all

beerlover
03-03-2006, 10:18 AM
I would agree with D-Rek & also add the same for Zemaitis so basicly you drafted two fine football players who both may end up playing the same position :twocents:

Vinny
03-03-2006, 10:21 AM
I don't see Whitner at CB in the NFL.. We need some physical CB's for the cover 2 defense. Pbuc isn't a cover2 type guy. We could use a FS. Earl and Brown are both better at SS.

Fiddy
03-03-2006, 04:58 PM
Ok, so YoungTexanFan hasnt picked and I do not know who to select so gimme some feedback on who y'all think the Broncos should take.

Beerlover, you can make your selection before YoungTexanFan because of his clock expiring....

Blake
03-03-2006, 05:29 PM
Ok, so YoungTexanFan hasnt picked and I do not know who to select so gimme some feedback on who y'all think the Broncos should take.

Beerlover, you can make your selection before YoungTexanFan because of his clock expiring....

I think they could use a safety. So a player like Bullocks from Nebraska would make sense. But I think you should keep the 3-4th round RB trend going, and give them Jerious Norwood, who might be shooting up draft boards after a solid senior bowl.

Other than that, I say go with a QB like Jacobs, or Whitehurst.

Fiddy
03-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Ok, this draft is getting sloppy, sorry guys. I've been busy.

But TEXANS84 Vikings have to pass. F-minus67 Browns are on the clock.

Hottoddie
03-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Hey guys,

I know we would like for this mock to be as close to reality as possible, but if the team picking before you hasn't made their pick within the 12 hour time limit, you need to go ahead & make your pick. Otherwise, this mock is going to be still working when the real draft starts. Okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but you get my point.

The way it looks now, Texans84's clock has expired & F-minus67's clock has less than an hour left. That means that Swtbound07's Falcons are coming up.

Blake
03-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Can the mods just make the pick for them? If the 12 hour clock is up, the next person can pick, unless the mods have made the pick, then it is the following teams pick anyway.

Give the vikes Greg Eslinger, SR, 6-3, 285, Minnesota, since their old Center is having medical problems.

Give the Browns the Cedric Griffin, SR, 6-2, 205, Texas, or Bernard Pollard, JR, 6-2, 219, Purdue. Since they need help in that area with Sharper being older, and they could use a good nickle back.

Also, Quentin Moses, JR, 6-5, 248, Georgia, needs to be taken off the prospects list, I think.

Vinny
03-06-2006, 08:02 AM
I'll have to update this thing after I make some coffee. I didn't come around yesterday.

pittbull
03-06-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm really impressed at how the mock draft looks so far. Everyone is doing a good job to not play homer so far and most picks make since for their respective teams! Good Job Fellas!

Hottoddie
03-07-2006, 08:12 PM
He missed his last pick &, since he hasn't been around in over 4 days & only has a couple of hours left, I guess he'll miss this pick as well.

Come on guys. You made a committment. Show up & make your pick, or bow out of the draft.

Hottoddie
03-10-2006, 01:01 PM
When did we switch back to a 24 hour clock?:deadhorse

Vinny
03-10-2006, 01:16 PM
we never changed anything....people lost interest after the name prospects were off the glass I assume...I could have kept picking players but that turns into Vinnymock instead of a multiparticipant effort. Blake (The NFL Draft) wants to do another one with less participants...I think we should kill this one at 3 rounds, try to rank who had the best "first day" draft and perhaps try to run one more before the April draft. I think we have plenty of time and it will probably look different since FA is going to change some team needs.

Lucky
03-10-2006, 01:18 PM
...I think we should kill this one at 3 rounds, try to rank who had the best "first day" draft and perhaps try to run one more before the April draft. I think we have plenty of time and it will probably look different since FA is going to change some team needs.
Agreed.

Fiddy
03-10-2006, 01:21 PM
we never changed anything....people lost interest after the name prospects were off the glass I assume...I could have kept picking players but that turns into Vinnymock instead of a multiparticipant effort. Blake (The NFL Draft) wants to do another one with less participants...I think we should kill this one at 3 rounds, try to rank who had the best "first day" draft and perhaps try to run one more before the April draft. I think we have plenty of time and it will probably look different since FA is going to change some team needs. I'm with you...don't forget that this week and next week for the most part is spring break, people are just out of town right now...

Vinny
03-10-2006, 01:29 PM
yeah...that's true. I forgot about school being out as well.

jgl35
03-10-2006, 05:41 PM
I will pick for Tampa again in this round.

texasguy346
03-10-2006, 07:23 PM
I pretty much agree with what Vinny mentioned. It's almost as if most interest left once the 'Big Name' prospects were gone. Guess we'll have to try to do better next time.

jgl35
03-10-2006, 09:41 PM
And Tom Brady never plays a down of pro ball. Never know where the big names are. Looking forward to the next draft.

swtbound07
03-10-2006, 09:54 PM
im back from vacation...so i'll be manning the falcons

C Madd
03-10-2006, 11:35 PM
I pick in a few more picks, guess that'll be about a week from now :)

Maddict5
03-13-2006, 12:15 PM
im doing 1 on another site at the moment and its a 4 hour clock-a bit short but you've none of this delay. i think 8-12 hours is the best job

wags
03-14-2006, 11:27 PM
So are we blowing this up now or what? There was some discussion about ending it after 3 rounds.

Errant Hothy
03-14-2006, 11:32 PM
Blow it up, but then again I'm done. The Fins don't have a 4th round pick, and just traded their 2nd away.

Vinny
03-15-2006, 12:09 AM
I say we shut it down, regroup, and roll out our post FA speculatory extravaganza in a week or so. There are a still a few teams making cuts and signing players...ie filling needs. The mods can keep running this or start a new one now, so don't let me stop anything. I'm just one voice with a suggestion.

wags
03-15-2006, 12:18 AM
I say we shut it down, regroup, and roll out our post FA speculatory extravaganza in a week or so. There are a still a few teams making cuts and signing players...ie filling needs.

I am with you on this.

Blake
03-15-2006, 07:40 AM
Well im done picking, so Im good either way. ;)

Anyways, I guess if anyone has anymore to say about the Texans draft, now would be a great time to talk about it.

1. Reggie Bush
2. Jonathan Scott
3. Donte Whitner
4. Alan Zemaitis
5. Omar Jacobs

With Bush I was tempted to take Young in this mock, simply because I think he is unbelievable to watch, but right when I picked, we had just signed Carr to his 3 year big money contract, so I decided not to. But everyone basically knows the story about Bush.

With Scott, I just couldnt wait any longer for a tackle. If I dont get one here, who knows when the next chance we have to get one will be.

Whitner, somehow fell to round 3, and is great value. He is starting to show up in alot of mocks in round 1. And after running sub 4.4 40's, his stock will continue to grow.

Zemaitis, personally, I think is underrated. In the games I watched him, he seemed to have a great break on the ball, and always challenged the WR for it. I think he will go in round 2 at least, come draft time.

And lastly, Omar Jacobs. He is a QB we can groom for the future. He has the tools to do great things, but just needs to get smarter at the game. No doubt we could trade him in a couple of years for a 2nd rounder or so. Maybe he can even take over for Carr if he doesnt pan out.

texasguy346
03-15-2006, 01:10 PM
I'm all for shutting this down too. I've had to make a few picks, and it seems like we've had a few GMs who were only interested in making their first or second round pick. Let's shut it down, and try again.

Blake
03-15-2006, 01:58 PM
I'm all for shutting this down too. I've had to make a few picks, and it seems like we've had a few GMs who were only interested in making their first or second round pick. Let's shut it down, and try again.

I think we have more than enough dedicated mocksters on this board, that we know will finish a mock.

Lets try again in a couple of weeks with these people. Kind of like, invitation only.

beerlover
03-15-2006, 02:58 PM
those who have a "ON TIME" track record (should they want to do it again) could double up (select for two teams) this would help expedite the process, since time is now of the esscence with roughly only one month left till D-Day :twocents:

Maddict5
03-15-2006, 03:20 PM
hey i visit every day so if you're doing 1 later- id like to take part

DRIFTAWAY
03-16-2006, 09:11 PM
this thing has slowed down..so are we shutting it down and starting anew?

Bubbajwp
03-16-2006, 09:42 PM
I would like to be in the next one if possible.:drool:

Honoring Earl 34
03-19-2006, 12:29 PM
::yahoo: I'll take a team ... I don't have a life and visit often .

kiwitexansfan
03-21-2006, 10:30 PM
I know nothing about college football players so how about you let me draft for the Lions??

YoungTexanFan
03-21-2006, 10:43 PM
I know nothing about college football players so how about you let me draft for the Lions??

this draft is complete I believe. We should have another one soon enough.

If you're going to guess randomly on players, I think you should have the Jags.

YoungTexanFan
03-21-2006, 10:44 PM
I think we have more than enough dedicated mocksters on this board, that we know will finish a mock.

Lets try again in a couple of weeks with these people. Kind of like, invitation only.

maybe i'll get to sit with the cool kids this time. :drool: