PDA

View Full Version : Pro Bowl and Jerome Mathis

TEXANS84
02-06-2006, 12:02 PM
http://images.nfl.com/images/probowl/2006/header.jpg
2006 NFL Pro Bowl Game at Aloha Stadium
Televised on ESPN at 6 p.m. ET

Also, Jerome Mathis has been slated to run in the fastest man competition against:
David Tyree
DeAngelo Hall
Bob Sanders
4 more others to follow.

The Fastest Man: Competition will feature eight players with two preliminary heats of four runners per heat. The top two finishers from each heat will advance to the final round. The first runner in the final round to cross the finish line wins the competition. (Sponsored by Sprint)
http://www.nfl.com/probowl/skillschallenge

nunusguy
02-06-2006, 01:57 PM
"The first runner in the final round to cross the finish line wins the competition"
I've seen some redundant statements, but this one has gotta get some kind
of reward.

Kaiser Toro
02-06-2006, 02:01 PM
"The first runner in the final round to cross the finish line wins the competition"

Good catch.

What file do I put this one in? Hmmm, ah yes, Dumbing Down of Society.

Hardcore Texan
02-06-2006, 02:02 PM
I know how fast Mathis is, does anyone know if Mathis is the favorite? I don't know too much about the others, of course i know they are all going to be burners. I can't remember who beat Andre last year, I remember AJ came in 2nd, whoever it was will be back to defend.

infantrycak
02-06-2006, 02:04 PM
I can't remember who beat Andre last year, I remember AJ came in 2nd, whoever it was will be back to defend.

Allen Rossum--AJ was coming on fast at the end.

Hardcore Texan
02-06-2006, 02:10 PM

That's right, he pointed at the end to. Thanks

TEXANS84
02-06-2006, 02:17 PM

Rossum ran a 4.32 at his combine, Mathis a 4.28.

Should be an interesting race between the two. Hopefully they don't put them in the same opening bracket.

nunusguy
02-06-2006, 02:17 PM
I know how fast Mathis is, does anyone know if Mathis is the favorite? I don't know too much about the others, of course i know they are all going to be burners. I can't remember who beat Andre last year, I remember AJ came in 2nd, whoever it was will be back to defend.
They are only running 40 yards, so who gets the fastest start has an awful lot to do with it. If it was a 100, Mathis would eat them alive, he'd win 10 out
of 10 hundreds. I'd bet on it.

TexanFan881
02-06-2006, 02:20 PM
I can't remember who beat Andre last year, I remember AJ came in 2nd, whoever it was will be back to defend.

If Andre finished second last year Mathis should have no problem winning. :fans:

C Madd
02-06-2006, 02:20 PM

Should be an interesting race between the two. Hopefully they don't put them in the same opening bracket.
I don't think that would matter as long as they finished 1st and 2nd. If I remember correctly, they had 2 heats of 4 runners and the top 2 from each heat went to the finals. I could be wrong, though.

TEXANS84
02-06-2006, 02:25 PM
I don't think that would matter as long as they finished 1st and 2nd. If I remember correctly, they had 2 heats of 4 runners and the top 2 from each heat went to the finals. I could be wrong, though.

No, you are correct. Thanks for observing that.

chuckm
02-06-2006, 02:26 PM

hopefully he doesn't rip a hamstring ..... (knocking wood)

Txn_in_FL
02-06-2006, 02:29 PM
hopefully he doesn't rip a hamstring ..... (knocking wood)

That's the first thought that came to my mind... :crying:

Yeesh.

rmartin65
02-06-2006, 03:18 PM
I cant wait to watch Mathis again.

Dunta_23
02-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Should be exciting to see him go up against the fastest in the league...Hopefully he wins it, it would be the 2nd bright spot for the Texans this yr...HIM making the pro-bowl, and HIM winning fastest man

Kaiser Toro
02-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Should be exciting to see him go up against the fastest in the league...Hopefully he wins it, it would be the 2nd bright spot for the Texans this yr...HIM making the pro-bowl, and HIM winning fastest man

Don't short change us, that would make it three. You missed the coaching change.

run-david-run
02-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Lol, and Drob laying the wood to Reggie Wayne...that was definately a bright spot

YoungTexanFan
02-06-2006, 08:50 PM
They are only running 40 yards, so who gets the fastest start has an awful lot to do with it. If it was a 100, Mathis would eat them alive, he'd win 10 out
of 10 hundreds. I'd bet on it.

I could have sworne that they ran 100.

A.J. was an indoor track start at Miami. He is a beast. He is a gazelle. He is not human.

Mathis is still faster. Mathis was also a track start. He qualified for the US olympic team in the 200m. I'm just hoping his start is fast if they are only running 40.

Dunta_23
02-07-2006, 09:33 AM
I was doing a few searches for Mathis' track career and this article came up....Pretty Interesting

http://www.olympic-usa.org/11611_32384.htm

Cjeremy635
02-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Are they going to do the "fastest man in the NFL challenge" again this year? I remember watching it when Andre went, but Mathis is freaky fast and I'd like to see how he would run against top NFL talent speed in the event. If anyone knows please post when it is going to be televised. Thanks in advance.

Big B Texan Fan
02-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Are they going to do the "fastest man in the NFL challenge" again this year? I remember watching it when Andre went, but Mathis is freaky fast and I'd like to see how he would run against top NFL talent speed in the event. If anyone knows please post when it is going to be televised. Thanks in advance.
Yes, it'll be on staurday. Mathis is in it.

HardKnockTexan
02-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Mathis will be in the fastest man comp... not too sure when it is though.

TEXANS84
02-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Mathis will be in the fastest man comp... not too sure when it is though.

Here is a full list of events scheduled. Don't know about the broadcast times though:

http://www.nfl.com/probowl/public_sked

TEXANS84
02-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Here is a full list of events scheduled.
http://www.nfl.com/probowl/public_sked

Broadcast time of the skills challenge is:

Television:

A TV show will be produced from the competition that will air 6-8 p.m. ET on Saturday, Feb. 11 on ESPN.

texanGoon22
02-08-2006, 09:23 AM
Anybody know where to get highlights of Jerome's kick returns this year?

BradK10
02-08-2006, 11:11 AM
I cannot wait for this event. As a Texan fan and a large fan of track events (even though this really isn't one, just love the mano e mano style of competition), I can't wait for this. I just don't see how Mathis can be beat.

mexican_texan
02-08-2006, 05:15 PM
they actually played Jerome with the second team offense as a WR. IN A PRO BOWL. That's cool, considering he beat out at least one of the WRs. I liked how he seemed to be coached by Rod Smith. I saw some of the practice and Rod moved his hands around as Mathis put his hands on his helmet constantly.

Kaiser Toro
02-08-2006, 05:17 PM
they actually played Jerome with the second team offense as a WR. IN A PRO BOWL. That's cool, considering he beat out at least one of the WRs. I liked how he seemed to be coached by Rod Smith. I saw some of the practice and Rod moved his hands around as Mathis put his hands on his helmet constantly.

Interesting. Where did you see this footage?

mexican_texan
02-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Interesting. Where did you see this footage?
NFL Network:cool:

rmartin65
02-08-2006, 05:45 PM
SWEET!!!!!

AustinJB
02-09-2006, 01:48 AM
man i love jerome mathis this man does not now how to stop running :yahoo:

cant wait until they teach him how to catch THAT WILL BE GREAT:redtowel:

he will defenitely win this competition and then he might be a birght spot in this team next year

I agree that he needs improvement as a receiver, but I wouldn't put it as harshly as you did.

He might be a bright spot on the team next year??:confused: He was the ONLY bright spot on the team THIS year!!:brickwall

Dunta_23
02-09-2006, 07:06 PM
They just showed Mathis at the pro bowl...he was the only player late for the team picture....and seemed kinda embarassed once he showed up..

saw it on NFL total access

TEXANS84
02-09-2006, 10:47 PM
DeAngello Hall taken off fastest man competition.

Hanik Milligan and Brian Moorman added to the list. Three spots still remain.

Dunta_23
02-09-2006, 10:48 PM

I signed Hanik Milligan in madden one year, he was awesome after a few seasons..

edo783
02-09-2006, 11:45 PM

Might have realized he was going to get smoked by Jerome and didn't want that to happen. He prides himself on being a fast CB. It's not like he slow though.

Carr Bombed
02-09-2006, 11:46 PM
Hall was Mathis' biggest competition. I'm kinda upset though I wanted to see Mathis against the best.

mexican_texan
02-09-2006, 11:57 PM

Isn't Moorman a punter?

TEXANS84
02-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Isn't Moorman a punter?

Uhh...yeah. This is going to be funny.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/146524

Dunta_23
02-10-2006, 11:36 AM
He is also going to be in this event:

The Open Field (Obstacle Course): Designed to test all skills of a player and determines who the most versatile, agile Pro Bowler is. Each athlete is timed in this path of individual drills that test a players agility, footwork, endurance and athleticism

rmartin65
02-10-2006, 03:15 PM
Mathis could win two things.

mexican_texan
02-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Mathis could win two things.
3, he could win the MVP

Dunta_23
02-10-2006, 05:20 PM
I meant the punter is going to be in the obstacle course, not Mathis...

Carr Bombed
02-10-2006, 06:10 PM
So there really is going to be a punter in the fastest man comp. I thought that was some kinda mistake

vtech9
02-10-2006, 11:45 PM
saw this on KFFL...don't know what happened to Mathis.

Falcons | Hall wins fastest man honor
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:53:07 -0800

Steve Wyche, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports Atlanta Falcons CB DeAngelo Hall won the NFL's Fastest Man competition during the Pro Bowl skills competition Friday, Feb. 10.

TEXANS84
02-11-2006, 10:18 AM
Well that sucks.

Hopefully there's not a hammy pull or anything reguarding Mathis.

edo783
02-11-2006, 10:30 AM
That's interesting because just the other day it was reported that Hall had withdrawn from the fastest man comp. Not sure what all this means guess I'll just have to watch and see.

TEXANS84
02-11-2006, 01:51 PM
****Spoiler, don't look below if you don't want to know the result********

Honolulu The Falcons will boast the NFL's Fastest Man for the second consecutive year.

Second-year cornerback DeAngelo Hall, making his first Pro Bowl appearance, won the honor at the Pro Bowl skills competition Friday. The event was a 40-yard dash.

Falcons punt returner Allen Rossum won the competition last year.

Hall defeated Houston's Jerome Mathis, Carolina's Steve Smith and Indianapolis' Bob Sanders in the final. The entire competition will be broadcast today on ESPN at 6 p.m.

Falcons quarterback Michael Vick tied for second place in the throwing competition behind Seattle quarterback Matt Hasselbeck.

Vick and Kansas City's Trent Green finished ahead of Indianapolis' Peyton Manning in the accuracy contest.

http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/stories/0211probowl.html

tiger06
02-11-2006, 08:02 PM
Wow, Hall won by millimeters

edo783
02-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Wow, Hall won by millimeters

Yup, it was a photo finish. The refs had to do a review on it and we all know how good they are at that! :ok:

Carr Bombed
02-11-2006, 08:21 PM
I still think Mathis has more top end speed, if that race was 10 yards longer Mathis would of took him.

Hardcore Texan
02-11-2006, 09:08 PM
Mathis didn't get a good start, that is what it came down to. I watch the whole race in slow motion in HD, Mathis closed on him so quick and lost by a booger sticking out of Hall's nose. You could see him turn it on in the end, but he couldn't recover from the start. If it would have been a 41 yard dash, Mathis would have taken it.

Carr Bombed
02-11-2006, 11:29 PM
I think they should make the race a little longer, because it not neccesary the fastest man, but the one that can get the best jump.

On a side not I was really surprised by Moorman the punter, he has to be the most athletic punter in the league.

Also what was up with that best hands competition, what happened to the jug machine, that wasn't the best hands, more like the best route running competition. I mean nobody dropped a pass, so did everybody have the best hands.

run-david-run
02-12-2006, 10:36 AM
They also had a very quick start. It seemed like the fired the gun before everyone was set... Anyway, Mathis lost by half a nose length...What is it with these Texans WR's and Falcon's CB's?

Dunta_23
02-12-2006, 10:42 AM
On Total Access they were just showing AFC practice and Mathis dropped a slant from Manning...So it looks as tho hes going to be in the offense a bit..and Chad Johnson was covering Marvin Harrison

MorKnolle
02-12-2006, 10:43 AM
They also had a very quick start. It seemed like the fired the gun before everyone was set... Anyway, Mathis lost by half a nose length...What is it with these Texans WR's and Falcon's CB's?

Mathis had the slowest start among the four and came back and nearly won the race, he is impressive once he gets going but his acceleration isn't quite as good as Hall's and he didn't jump the gun as well. We'll see if they use Mathis on offense at all or just on special teams, hopefully he puts up a nice showing either way.

Coach C.
02-12-2006, 10:54 AM
during the practices shown on NFL Network they had Mathis running a little WR. The had a couple of plays were they gave it to Mathis on reverses and what not. Man I wish I was in Hawaii right now. It is cold here in the H.

vtech9
02-12-2006, 02:33 PM
they just replayed it on NFL network a little while ago. From what I saw, it looked like Mathis was still trying to get set when they started the race. He simply got a bad start, and there wasn't enough time to make it up. As fast as Mathis closed on Hall, if the race had been one yard longer Mathis would have won, but if it had been a 50 yard dash, Mathis probably would have won it by a few steps even with his bad start.

bad
02-12-2006, 04:58 PM
I noticed at the beginning of the race that Mathis was wearing a visor and I thought to myself "that's a bad idea". It flew off about halfway through the run, but just the fact that it flew off suggests some energy was sacrified (forward momentum). I'm no physics expert but I do know that energy can never be gained nor lost. There is always an equal and opposite reaction.

How much energy did Jerome lose? I'm guessing just about the length of DeAngelo Hall's forehead.

:twocents:

Carr Bombed
02-12-2006, 06:25 PM
We just had our first Jerome sighting, he made a great play on special teams downing the ball at the one.

Carr Bombed
02-12-2006, 06:26 PM
I hope he gets some playing time at WR

Carr Bombed
02-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Well Manning is picking up exactly where he left off, he should already have 2 picks in this game

Carr Bombed
02-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Jerome made another great play downing the punt again. Maybe he should start playing both ways on special teams, well atleast on punt coverage.

ccdude730
02-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Jerome made another great play downing the punt again. Maybe he should start playing both ways on special teams, well atleast on punt coverage.
i think so too. not sure if he is being doubled while running down the punt though, but he sure is involved on all the plays so far

Hookem Horns
02-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Texans still making blunders..lol. You can't take your eyes off the ball when receiving a punt.

Carr Bombed
02-12-2006, 07:56 PM
it looked like he lost it in the sun

Carr Bombed
02-12-2006, 08:48 PM
There really is no purpose returning kicks in the probowl because nobody blocks. I hope they put him in on some offensive plays

O.G.
02-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Mathis didn't get a good start, that is what it came down to. I watch the whole race in slow motion in HD, Mathis closed on him so quick and lost by a booger sticking out of Hall's nose. You could see him turn it on in the end, but he couldn't recover from the start. If it would have been a 41 yard dash, Mathis would have taken it.

I saw the race as well as that's exacty what happened, Mathis was the last to get out of the block. Also, IMO Mathis should have taken off the visor. That was worth a couple of hundredths right there.

Carr Bombed
02-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Damn Mathis almost broke one.

Carr Bombed
02-12-2006, 09:24 PM
and then they had to fumble the snap

Carr Bombed
02-12-2006, 09:34 PM
Why did Mcnair even bother showing up for the probowl

nunusguy
02-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Chicken Sh&t play by Williams, the WR was practically on the ground, its an
exhibition game, and he hits him like that. That play by Williams is BS !

powerfuldragon
02-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Chicken Sh&t play by Williams, the WR was practically on the ground, its an
exhibition game, and he hits him like that. That play by Williams is BS !

typical political NFL BS. he thinks he's got a rep to maintain.

edo783
02-13-2006, 12:23 AM
Chicken Sh&t play by Williams, the WR was practically on the ground, its an exhibition game, and he hits him like that. That play by Williams is BS !

Seems to be the kind of play he specializes in. Some may see it as aggresive play, but I see it as an attempt to injure.

HoustonFrog
02-13-2006, 09:16 AM
Way to go Jerome. Fastest man and he sleeps in and is late for the team pic. Allegedly they called him and then had security beat on his doot. They said you could tell which guy was late in the pic. Shanny wasn't too happy. Oh well, it is their vacation.

MojoX
02-13-2006, 12:12 PM
Way to go Jerome. Fastest man and he sleeps in and is late for the team pic. Allegedlt they called him and then had security beat on his doot. They said you could tell which guy was late in the pic. Shanny wasn't too happy. Oh well, it is their vacation.
Well, that story fits in with what Manfull had to say about him:
HARD TRUTH: There is little doubt after last season that Pro Bowl rookie WR/KR Jerome Mathis could be an integral part of the team in the upcoming seasons. Mathis must begin to mature as his second season approaches if he wants to make as much of an impact on the offensive side of the ball as on special teams. He got into a fight with a teammate last year and wasn't always considered a "team player." Mathis has all the skills to succeed in the NFL and now just needs the right attitude.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=61772

rmartin65
02-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Maturing is good, but everyone has to remember he was a rookie. Young people make mistakes.

Youngstown Colt
02-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Allegedly they called him and then had security beat on his doot. They said you could tell which guy was late in the pic. Shanny wasn't too happy. Oh well, it is their vacation.Let me tell you from experience, getting your doot beaten hurts.

But really, I was amazed that Bob Sanders kept up with Jerome, let alone go stride for stride with him. Add on that the fact that Bob stumbled after a real quick start, and the fastest man in the NFL could have been a safety.

I looked a little foolish because I told everyone watching that Mathis would clean up in that competition.

TEXANS84
02-13-2006, 04:35 PM
But really, I was amazed that Bob Sanders kept up with Jerome, let alone go stride for stride with him. Add on that the fact that Bob stumbled after a real quick start, and the fastest man in the NFL could have been a safety.

In my opinion (not to take anything away from Sanders) but it looked as if Jerome let up after looking to his right to notice he was a lock for the top two. There is no need to win the opening round, just to advance.

Jerome argued after the finals that in track and field (or olympics) that the first person to break the plane with the torso is declared the winner, not the head or nose.

Big78
02-13-2006, 05:18 PM
Seems to be the kind of play he specializes in. Some may see it as aggresive play, but I see it as an attempt to injure.
i do think it was a cheap shot, but i also believe that some times the players go into cruise-control, and in this case overdrive. he made a bad choice but i dont think it makes him a bad guy.

HoustonFrog
02-13-2006, 05:24 PM
Let me tell you from experience, getting your doot beaten hurts.

Sorry I'm not that...strong a typist..lol

Youngstown Colt
02-14-2006, 03:55 PM
In my opinion (not to take anything away from Sanders) but it looked as if Jerome let up after looking to his right to notice he was a lock for the top two. There is no need to win the opening round, just to advance.After watching it again, Bob and Jerome didn't go against each other in the opening round, only in the finals, so I doubt Jerome let up in that one.