PDA

View Full Version : Toronto odd city out in expansion

Wolf
02-05-2006, 12:44 PM
NFL | Toronto odd-city out in expansion plans
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 19:47:29 -0800

The Canadian Press reports NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue said Los Angeles is the priority to receiver an expansion team, which would give the NFL 33 teams. The long-standing belief has been that the league would add two teams to keep the conferences balanced, but Tagliabue said Friday, Feb. 3, that the NFL is prepared to go with an odd number of teams for several years. CFL commissioner Tom Wright said Tagliabue is aware of the impact NFL expansion into Canada would have on the CFL. Wright said, "Clearly the commissioner understood what our goals were and understood the importance of a partnership. He understands that a strong CFL is ultimately going to be good for football and what's good for football in Canada is going to help the NFL." The NFL-CFL partnership runs through April of 2007.

www.kffl.com

mexican_texan
02-05-2006, 04:58 PM
The league is set up wonderfully with the 32 teams. But, it seems as if LA will get a team...

rmartin65
02-05-2006, 06:16 PM
Playing with odd teams is weird. One team gets only 15 games? It would be cool for 2 cities to get new teams if they want to expand.

Yankee_In_TX
02-05-2006, 10:28 PM
Lord, no new teams. Too many teams at the bottom as it is.

Let's not go the way of the NHL and MLB....

swisher
02-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Playing with odd teams is weird. One team gets only 15 games? It would be cool for 2 cities to get new teams if they want to expand.

no, it just means every week there will be at least one team with a bye, including the first and last week of the season.

Wharton
02-05-2006, 11:17 PM
I don't understand why LA is such a priority with the NFL. Most of the people I know in LA don't care if they have a team or not. Its just not a football town.

cmach1987
02-06-2006, 12:20 AM
toronto will never get an expansion team, as long as the bills are still in buffalo. toronto will be claimed as buffalo's territory.

cmach1987
02-06-2006, 12:21 AM
toronto will never get an expansion team, as long as the bills are still in buffalo. toronto will be claimed as buffalo's territory. personally i wouldn't waste my time with la. they could care less about football. it's not like what you had in houston, when the owner of the oilers went for the money, and moved to nashville. you deserved to get a team back. la doesn't

TEXANRED
02-06-2006, 08:40 AM
I think if the NFL goes international it would be Mexico. They keep playing exibition games there and even had a regular season Sunday night prime time game there this year.

Double Barrel
02-06-2006, 10:22 AM
32 teams divided between 8 divisions is a perfect balance. I can't believe that they would screw up the equilibrium, much less add another team that further dilutes the talent pool. They should just wait and move an existing team to LA if they have to have a team. It's only a matter of time before an owner demands a stadium that the taxpayers won't give him.

hot pickle
02-06-2006, 11:07 PM
I don't think Toronto would be able to support an NFL team, besides know one really wants to play in Canada, look at the Raptors and all the franchise players they have lost

TheOgre
02-06-2006, 11:30 PM

No it would be like the 3 years the league had 31 teams (1999-2001), you would have at least one team on a bye every single week. That includes the first and last weeks of the season. They usually give the last place teams from the previous year the very early and very late bye weeks.

rmartin65
02-07-2006, 03:28 PM
No it would be like the 3 years the league had 31 teams (1999-2001), you would have at least one team on a bye every single week. That includes the first and last weeks of the season. They usually give the last place teams from the previous year the very early and very late bye weeks.
Cool, thanks