PDA

View Full Version : Texans Hire Richard Smith as Defensive Coordinator

Tulip
02-01-2006, 09:27 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3629709.html

I'm not sure what I think about these coaching hires.

And I had just finished reading McNair's latest letter.

Seņor Stan
02-01-2006, 09:57 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3629709.html

I'm not sure what I think about these coaching hires.

And I had just finished reading McNair's latest letter.

Kubiak also denys that Sherman has accepted his offer yet.

bdiddy
02-01-2006, 10:02 PM
I think Smith is qualified for a DC job, he has 18 years NFL experience, has coached LBs for a number of years (desparate need of improvement on the Texans), was a DC last year and an assistant head coach with the Lions prior to this.

He is not the big name many fans were hoping for, but I do think he is qualified. He has to be an improvement from Fangio.

I trust Gary Kubiak.

Texans Pride
02-01-2006, 10:07 PM
That far, I have not been overly impressed. . .I'm willing to give the coach the benefit of the doubt (like I have any other choice in the matter) but my first initial reaction is not what I was hoping for.

Houstonprofootball.com is reporting that the hiring of Sherman is offical, however it uses the same source that Kubiak claims is false.

http://houstonprofootball.com

A report Tuesday night from the MetroWest Daily News suggests that former Packers head coach Mike Sherman has accepted an offer to become the next offensive line coach of the Texans.

The local paper, which cited "a source close to Sherman", serves a region just outside Boston, Massachusetts, in proximity to the Northborough community where Sherman was raised.

New Texans head coach Gary Kubiak likely asked Sherman, who will also have the title of assistant head coach, to join his staff given their shared past relationships with Kubiak's alma mater, Texas A&M. Sherman twice served as the Aggies' offensive line coach, first from 1989-93, and again from 1995-96.

Sherman left Texas A&M the second time to join the Packers as the tight ends/assistant offensive line coach. Then following one season as the Seahawks' offensive coordinator in 1999, Sherman accepted the Packers head coaching position in 2000. After compiling a 57-39 record over six seasons in Green Bay, the team fired Sherman after a 4-12 campaign in 2005.

Sherman's hiring is the first by Kubiak where the incoming coach has such a long and impressive resume. There had been reports that Kubiak was interested in hiring Broncos offensive line coach Rick Dennison and former Falcons offensive line coach Alex Gibbs for the same job with the Texans.

TEXANS84
02-01-2006, 10:21 PM
Wow, talk about a interesting chain of events. I thought the Sherman thing was as good as done.

And Richard Smith as DC is quite interesting. Seems as though Kubiak is hiring friends just like Capers did.

Kaiser Toro
02-01-2006, 10:24 PM
Alright it is starting to take shape. I am really liking the words, tone and directness in Kubiak's answers as I read them. I would be interested to have heard the interview with Kubiak.

Very interested to hear Smith and see what his vision is for the league's worst defense.

Jack Bauer
02-01-2006, 10:24 PM
Seems as though Kubiak is hiring "friends" just like Capers did.

This is the rule, not the exception. And Palmer was hired for, not by Capers. Coaches usually hire those they are familiar with and have confidence in.

F-minus67
02-01-2006, 10:26 PM
So it sounds like this guy should be good at getting the linebackers in order. So what do we need now a d line coach,an o line coach and a LBs coach?

bdiddy
02-01-2006, 10:26 PM
Everybody hirers their friends, the NFL is relatively small fraternity. The difference is that Kubiak, unlike Capers, will not simply idly sit by while one of his hirers makes bad decisions. If Smith is not getting it done, Kubiak WILL hold him accountable.

blockhead83
02-01-2006, 10:30 PM
So after looking at Miami's defense rankings from last year it looks like they were fairly respectable, although they have more talent on that side of the ball than we do, and he was just the co-DC. Anyone have an idea of what kind of defense this guy prefers? 3-4, 4-3, laid back, attacking, etc? Any analogous scheme's to his?

TEXANS84
02-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Anyone have an idea of what kind of defense this guy prefers? 3-4, 4-3, laid back, attacking, etc? Any analogous scheme's to his?
I believe Miami ran a 4-3 in 2004, then swithced to the 3-4 in 2005. So if that's the case, he's got experience in both backgrounds. Kubiak stated that he'd like to primarily be in the 4-3, but would like to mix it up every now and then with the 3-4.

This actually could be a plus for us, considering our personel on the defensive side of the ball.

bdiddy
02-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Pure Speculation

Miami predominantely ran a 3-4 last year, however, I think this was more Saban's influence than Smith's mode of choice. While with Detroit, Denver, and San Fran he always worked in a 4-3. I think this meets Kubiaks wishes of someone that is familiar with both schemes. We will see some 3-4 this year (20%), but mainly a 4-3 look. The scheme will be moved more toward a traditional 4-3 as the necessary personnel is acquired.

FYI- I am still hearing RC Slocum's name being brought up by people close to the team. There is a possibility of him being brought in as the LB or D-Line coach.

Fighting Blue Hen
02-01-2006, 10:35 PM
Who?

keyfro
02-01-2006, 11:26 PM
you know this isn't the high profile guy but high profile guys aren't always what you need...plus you never know if this guy is a saban guy who was a belichek guy who was a parcells guy then he comes from a good line of coaches

Hardcore Texan
02-01-2006, 11:44 PM
So according to the article it looks we are steering away from co-defensive coordinator idea....idonno:

What happened to that? Did that idea fall to the wayside when we didn't get the other candidates...i.e. bates, gray, etc.

jmerog
02-02-2006, 12:29 AM
Seems as though Kubiak is hiring friends just like Capers did.
The biggest difference is that kubiak is a winner and has consistantly associated himself with winners.(Winners attract winners. losers,well...you know) I dont mind the hiring of friends if those friends are winners too.

Nighthawk
02-02-2006, 12:34 AM
The difference is that Kubiak, unlike Capers, will not simply idly sit by while one of his hirers makes bad decisions.

What evidence, or suggestion of evidence, do you have that suggests this? I'd certainly like to believe it, especially given the lackluster hires across the board.

southtexan
So according to the article it looks we are steering away from co-defensive coordinator idea....idonno:

What happened to that? Did that idea fall to the wayside when we didn't get the other candidates...i.e. bates, gray, etc.
I'm not impressed, I hope he's the rigth coach

jmerog
I wouldn't mind having a quality individual like R.C. Slocum around at all.

Off topic.. I would have liked to have Jerry rice as recievers coach instead of the kid.(sigh) it was a sweet daydream

Nighthawk
02-02-2006, 12:36 AM

Is there an explanation anywhere about WHY the defensive co-coordinator idea was thought to be a good idea in the first place?

Or is it just a title thing, to give two friends more money (sorry if I'm a little skeptical about GK's performance as a gatherer of coaching talent; I hope he's better at gathering players than he seems to be at gathering coaches).

Corrosion
02-02-2006, 01:12 AM
Everyone wants a Big Name Hire but I am not overly concerned about big names .... Big names mean you have already arrived and may not be as hungry as someone who has not yet been recognized by the FANS .

Kinda like your first job .... where-ever it was you were making chump change and wanted more .... were you willing to bust your tail for it ? .... Im sure many of these people GK has surrounded himself with are .

I know Kubiak personally and have for as long as I can remember... about 1975 or so (he's my stepdad's first cousin and close friend) I know what kind of person he is, how hard he works and what he expects of those around him . :spy:

Jack Bauer
02-02-2006, 01:30 AM
What evidence, or suggestion of evidence, do you have that suggests this? I'd certainly like to believe it, especially given the lackluster hires across the board.

Yawn...

wenskek
02-02-2006, 01:31 AM
very well said corrosion!

Bubbajwp
02-02-2006, 01:34 AM
Everyone wants a Big Name Hire but I am not overly concerned about big names .... Big names mean you have already arrived and may not be as hungry as someone who has not yet been recognized by the FANS .

Kinda like your first job .... where-ever it was you were making chump change and wanted more .... were you willing to bust your tail for it ? .... Im sure many of these people GK has surrounded himself with are .

I know Kubiak personally and have for as long as I can remember... about 1975 or so (he's my stepdad's first cousin and close friend) I know what kind of person he is, how hard he works and what he expects of those around him . :spy:
Young people want - need money and are more willing to work for it than older people. IMO

TexanBacker93
02-02-2006, 01:56 AM
Is there an explanation anywhere about WHY the defensive co-coordinator idea was thought to be a good idea in the first place?

Or is it just a title thing, to give two friends more money (sorry if I'm a little skeptical about GK's performance as a gatherer of coaching talent; I hope he's better at gathering players than he seems to be at gathering coaches).

Everyone has an opinion about the quality of the coaches. I'm holding judgement until we see how they perform. What is your basis for already deciding these are poor coaches? Who did you want for the positions?

cadahnic
02-02-2006, 05:34 AM
OK, I think the hiring of Richard Smith as DC is a great move by Kubiak. Bush was a great guy and a hot name on the fast track, as was Smith if you remember when Miami started making their run. Smith is a coach/teacher. Think of it as gaining a more knowledgible Mike London that can run our defense. Smith knows LBs well and will greatly improve our tackling just look at how much he did with Channing Crowder and Jason Taylor who he trained well to be a move LB in the 34 system. Smith also has a good track record with Safeties, team that with Hoke and we are looking at a more aggressive defensive scheme aimed at creating turnovers. If Kubes can somehow talk RC into taking the LB or DL coach job then we are looking at the makings of a really good coaching staff. Smith could leave in 3yrs to become a HC and Hoke would be ready to fill the spot if he is still around. So far the coaching Hires have me excited. I was upset about Shanahan backing out of his deals with Kubes on allowing him to take certain coaches mainly Dennison and Brewster, but I guess it should be expected. If Kubes can still steal Brewster away somehow and bring in a good DL and LB coach I am feeling really good. Sherman excites me as an OL/AHC guy and I explained his purpose in a post about him a couple of days ago. People you should really be getting excited, I am gonna tell Coach C. and Mork to make another long post about defensive and offensive schemes possiblities.

aj.
02-02-2006, 06:57 AM
Smith was defensive coordinator with Miami for one year (2005). The Phins defense finished 18th overall, 17th against the run and 20th against the pass. Smith has a lot of experience working with LBs so maybe between him an Hoke, they can cobble together a system that works. Smith will need help. It's a shame they lost London. The guys really liked him and he was good.

Smith and Vic Fangio are about the same age so I don't know where all this Richard Smith=Youth Movement inference is coming from. Smith is 50 years old and has been in the NFL for almost 20 years.

Speaking of working hard and expecting a lot from those around him....I'm sure our last DC did that too but unfortunately, as we all so painfully witnessed, that's not enough. Whether Smith's system works and the players buy into it will be the bottom line. I seriously doubt anything could be worse than what we had last year but my initial reaction is lukewarm on this hire. Hey, with low expectations the guy can't lose right?

Smith was here with the Oilers during the final two years of the Glanville circus and Pardee's first three seasons. He was let go when Buddy Ryan entered the picture heading into the '93 season.

I just happened to have a '92 Gameday laying around and there's Richard Smith (Special Teams/Asst. Offensive Line) pictured next to Frank Bush (LBs), Pat Thomas (DBs), Chris Palmer (receivers), Kevin Gilbride (OC), and Buddy Hackett...errr Jim Eddy (DC)....oh the memories.

Marcus
02-02-2006, 07:58 AM
After reading a number of posts on this thread, it just seems like that some can't recognize the difference between talent and coaching.

With the coach already here, you never take into consideration the talent he has to work with. You just blame him and never say there's a talent problem.

But when looking a prospective coaches, it's always "well, he did good with this team, but that team had a lot of talent", or "he didn't do well, but he never had the talent to work with".

This two-faced attitude towards coaching vs. talent has always left me dry.

And spare me this "it's what you do with little talent that determines a good coach" mumbo jumbo. In the NFL, if you have talent, you're a good coach. If the talent sucks, then you suck. It's always been that way.

aj.
02-02-2006, 08:07 AM
And spare me this "it's what you do with little talent that determines a good coach" mumbo jumbo. In the NFL, if you have talent, you're a good coach. If the talent sucks, then you suck. It's always been that way.

Bum Phillips would disagree. His'n your'n - your'n his'n.

Marcus
02-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Bum Phillips would disagree. His'n your'n - your'n his'n.
Oh, so tell me, old wise (Voice of the Fan :rolleyes:) one . . . how was Bum Phillips any different? I was around back then during those Luv ya Blue days. How was he any different?

aj.
02-02-2006, 08:31 AM
I just told you.

Don Shula ring a bell? And what Bum had to say about him....

I think it was Shula .. tooo many years have passed.... but the concept probably holds true for others as well.

I don't understand your Voice of the Fan sarcasm. Please explain.

Marcus
02-02-2006, 08:55 AM
Nothing personal, but I just think they ought to have room for a dissenting opinion on the website, in case someone happens to disagree with what you have to say. But they don't . . so it's like . . who appointed you king?

You asked.

chuckm
02-02-2006, 09:15 AM
Seems as though Kubiak is hiring friends just like Capers did.

This might be a shortsighted view but I don't have all that much of a problem with Kubiak's hires as opposed to Caper's. For the most part, Kubiak's hiring young (and hopefully energetic, hungry, fresh ideas ....) coaches. Caper's hires, at least the top level ones for the most part, were older coaches ..... give me young and hungry any day over older and set in their ways ..... :twocents:

chuckm
02-02-2006, 09:21 AM

From my point of view, there are those on here that have an "air of superiority" in their posts whether it be from "years on the board", "perceived football knowledge", or whatever, .... they may not be that way in real life, but in their words it's very evident ... In all honesty, I've never felt that way about you though (aj) ... my 2 cents

Texans_Chick
02-02-2006, 09:48 AM
This might be a shortsighted view but I don't have all that much of a problem with Kubiak's hires as opposed to Caper's. For the most part, Kubiak's hiring young (and hopefully energetic, hungry, fresh ideas ....) coaches. Caper's hires, at least the top level ones for the most part, were older coaches ..... give me young and hungry any day over older and set in their ways ..... :twocents:

I don't care if the coaches are young or old or somewhere in the middle. If they know what they are talking about, can convey that to the players and are hard workers, if they can coach--that is all that is important.

Young people are not necessarily more energtic and old people are not necessarily set in their ways. Those characterizations are stereotypes. If you actually know the people involved, you can hire them for who they are, and not what they represent.

As an aside, I get the feeling that the titles of the assistant coaches are less important to Kubiak than just actually getting the guys he wants to work with in the door.

1-3
02-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Everybody hirers their friends, the NFL is relatively small fraternity. The difference is that Kubiak, unlike Capers, will not simply idly sit by while one of his hirers makes bad decisions. If Smith is not getting it done, Kubiak WILL hold him accountable.

And you know this how? Seriously, were we sitting here 4 years ago knowing Capers and company were going to do what they did? I understand the need to be optimistic, but being old fashioned I rather have had just given Jerry Gray a chance, whether or not I was pals with him.

chuckm
02-02-2006, 10:02 AM
Young people are not necessarily more energtic and old people are not necessarily set in their ways. Those characterizations are stereotypes. If you actually know the people involved, you can hire them for who they are, and not what they represent.

thus the use of the word "hopefully"

Hardcore Texan
02-02-2006, 10:06 AM
I am not necessarily for the co-DC thing either, but that is what i kept hearing, now it seems that is not the case. Oh well, just have to wait and see.

chuckm
02-02-2006, 10:11 AM
I don't care if the coaches are young or old or somewhere in the middle. If they know what they are talking about, can convey that to the players and are hard workers, if they can coach--that is all that is important.

As an aside, I get the feeling that the titles of the assistant coaches are less important to Kubiak than just actually getting the guys he wants to work with in the door.

I WOULD characterize Capers, Pendry, and Fangio as older (in general and as compared to Kubiak's hires) and I WOULD also characterize these 3 men as "set in their ways" or "married to their coaching beliefs", or however I can state it without insulting some demographic .... the jury's out on Kubiak's hires ...

bigTEXan8
02-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Let me just ask this:

Is anybody we hire better than Fangio? Does a leopard have spots? Is the sky blue?

chuckm
02-02-2006, 10:33 AM
Does a leopard have spots?

I'm not sure but you may have just insulted felines the world over ....

Kaiser Toro
02-02-2006, 10:45 AM

I have no problem insulting felines as long as they are Jags fans. :)

Porky
02-02-2006, 10:51 AM
Nothing personal, but I just think they ought to have room for a dissenting opinion on the website, in case someone happens to disagree with what you have to say. But they don't . . so it's like . . who appointed you king?

You asked.

That's a cheap shot imo. It's called voice of the fan, not voice of the fans. If you want a broad overview of the range of opinion on a subject, come to this MB. I am thankful that they allow a fan to post his or her thoughts on a range of subjects on the main website. I generally agree, but even if I didn't, the main website isn't the place to debate it.

Bayou City Deacon
02-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Miami ran a hybrid defense that improved greatly as last season progressed, especially against the run. They were aggressive and fast. In addition, they got hit by the injury bug and had very young, inexperienced db's, which might explain some of their perceived struggles.

I like this hire.

kingh99
02-02-2006, 12:31 PM
I blame the owner. If he was bold with his money, a quality staff could be assembled. As it is, yawn.

Coaching staffs, not players, win in the NFL. If you're a player in the NFL, you have already established you are in the top 1% of runners, hitters, jumpers and throwers. It's what get programmed into the head and heart that makes a winner.

Sad that this owner, can't even think of his name, thinks going cheap on coaches works.

infantrycak
02-02-2006, 12:54 PM
I blame the owner. If he was bold with his money, a quality staff could be assembled. As it is, yawn.

Sad that this owner, can't even think of his name, thinks going cheap on coaches works.

What's sad is fans assuming worst case scenario. How in the world do you know that is the reason behind this? Maybe Kubiack likes this staff. Is McNair supposed to go to his new HC and say no, I want some guys I can spend more money on them even though they aren't the guys you want?

cadahnic
02-02-2006, 01:15 PM
Anyone who does not like this staff is off their rocker. We are getting solid teachers at every turn. We have a young, and for the most part inexperienced team that has not been taught about the nuances of thier respective positions. Man I can't help but be excited about the guys being brought in. I think this is turning out to be one of the better young staffs. I know you guys want the big names and guys that have been there done that, but teachers will be sure that the core of this team becomes winners and that will filter throughout the organization. Good Job Kubes, Hey go get Brewster, a good LB coach maybe an ex LB, Slocum, or a good college guy you can lure, Lock down Sherman and if you dont get him hire Carl Mauck as an OL consultant that way he does not infect the staff. I am still not completely sold on Shanahan's boy, but hey if he stresses catching and precise route running then I will not be mad at him. Plus he can go party with the players.

Kaiser Toro
02-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Anyone who does not like this staff is off their rocker. We are getting solid teachers at every turn. We have a young, and for the most part inexperienced team that has not been taught about the nuances of thier respective positions. Man I can't help but be excited about the guys being brought in. I think this is turning out to be one of the better young staffs. I know you guys want the big names and guys that have been there done that, but teachers will be sure that the core of this team becomes winners and that will filter throughout the organization. Good Job Kubes, Hey go get Brewster, a good LB coach maybe an ex LB, Slocum, or a good college guy you can lure, Lock down Sherman and if you dont get him hire Carl Mauck as an OL consultant that way he does not infect the staff. I am still not completely sold on Shanahan's boy, but hey if he stresses catching and precise route running then I will not be mad at him. Plus he can go party with the players.

I agree with your assessment. I can only speak about my opinions on the staff or any new staff for that matter. I want a mix of youth, energy, enthusiasm and experience. My concern is that Kubiak does not have someone on his staff or in the front office that has been there done that as a Head Coach. Granted, Reeves is conspiculously quiet and no decison on Sherman as of yet. Heck even RC Slocum would be a welcome addition.

As it stands, and someone please correct me if I am wrong for my own sanity, out of the coaches we have in place, inlcuding Kubiak, they have zero Head Coaching experience from college to professional.

If that is the case and we do not get Sherman, or Reeves in the shadows, I think he has failed himself before he begins. On the flip side Kubiak, seems to be a very confident and tactful guy that has the ability to process the mistakes and get it right moving forward. I have optimism as I think we got better due to addition through subtraction and then the hiring of Kubiak helped us even more.

cadahnic
02-02-2006, 01:37 PM
I understand your argument KT. I would like to see a HC that can tell him more about what to expect as an HC, but as of right now we dont have him. Sherman will do big things in covering that aspect, but it is still up in the air, also Reeves being here and really looking out for Kubes I think will go a long way. At the moment it does not look like Reeves is going anywhere.

Long Baller
02-02-2006, 01:37 PM
I am very optimistic about the staff and don't have any problems with the guys he has hired. I am not on the inside so how can I be critical about these guys when I know very little about them.

I have 2 questions regarding the Smith hire though; and they are not ment as negatives.
1. He has been in the NFL coaching for 18 years and this is his first solo DC gig. Why did it take so long?
2. When his name was first brought up I kept hearing that they wanted him as a co-DC because he has never called games. What has changed other than we could not get Bush?

I will definitely give him the benefit of the doubt and stand behind the team, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight into these 2 issues.

bigTEXan8
02-02-2006, 01:57 PM

I mean, do you at least get what I'm saying? The way Fangio ran things, obviously wasn't top shelf. I just think that we don't know what Smith is going to do with our D, so we might as well go with the flow.

I have no problem insulting felines as long as they are Jags fans.

Got to agree with you there brotha!!

profan
02-02-2006, 02:06 PM

Coaching staffs, not players, win in the NFL. If you're a player in the NFL, you have already established you are in the top 1% of runners, hitters, jumpers and throwers. It's what get programmed into the head and heart that makes a winner.

What's sad is that you don't even know the name of the man who brought football back to Houston. Where do you see he is going cheap? Have you been in on the interviews, etc. This is one of the best owners in the NFL and is very generous with his money.

powerfuldragon
02-02-2006, 02:10 PM
why do people badmouth this staff before they put thier product on the field? wait until at least the preseason before you trash them.

mike230765
02-02-2006, 02:11 PM
I agree with Dragon............give them a chance!

Kaiser Toro
02-02-2006, 02:16 PM
why do people badmouth this staff before they put thier product on the field?

Because there are some of us out there who have built teams/staffs in our own careers and understand the pitfalls that arise. No one is saying or hoping Kubiak will fail, we are just pointing out things and hoping that they were taken into consideration.

powerfuldragon
02-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Because there are some of us out there who have built teams/staffs in our own careers and understand the pitfalls that arise. No one is saying or hoping Kubiak will fail, we are just pointing out things and hoping that they were taken into consideration.

if they're making decisions that involve sums of money in the millions, then i'm sure that these possible pitfalls have been taken into consideration. i'm not trying to be a smart alec, i'm just saying that nobody wants to throw thier money away (except for the team that signs T.O.).

SheTexan
02-02-2006, 02:26 PM

Do I qualify???? I play fantacy football too!! J/K!!:)

houstonbuckeye
02-02-2006, 02:31 PM
This team has a lot of holes to fill on both side of the ball

Kaiser Toro
02-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Do I qualify???? I play fantacy football too!! J/K!!:)

There is a rigid line between my real and fantasy lives. That is between August and December of course. :)

Jack Bauer
02-02-2006, 02:44 PM
why do people badmouth this staff before they put thier product on the field? wait until at least the preseason before you trash them.

Real Reason: Because message boards thrive on negativity.

You will see it spun many different ways, but this is the truth. If you do not have people in disagreement, message boards wither and die. This is why you have posters who take the opposing side of an issue simply to foster additional arguments.

:twocents:

Vinny
02-02-2006, 03:26 PM

You asked.Yeah, I agree with Porky...that's a cheap shot. Voice of the fan IS the dissenting opinion (articles by the staff tends to be homer driven - no disrespect to Carter and his gang) on our front page in many cases if you can't figure it out. Nobody appointed AJ "king", but he is a well spoken, well researched, long time Houstonian and an astute observer of football on the NFL level. He was a great choice for this little platform speaking about our Texans from the voice of the fan. Better him than you. This message board gives everyone a shot at dissenting opinion if you wish.

outofhnd
02-02-2006, 03:51 PM
What it is boiling down to is this, There is a huge youth movement among the NFL coaching ranks this offseason. Since this move is risky all these former Head coaches are being brought in as "asst. head coaches" basically to steer these guys and bring coaching experience and mentor all the coordinators and new Head coaches so the head coaches can learn and slowly take over the whole operation as they learn more and hopefully succeed from there.

basically you have the asst /former NFL head coach telling you your limits. and your young staff testing those limits set forth. Basically giving us more creativity in play calling/formations but having an experienced guy there to keep those radical ideas from getting too radical..

I dunno why teams did not do this sooner.... Its a brilliant idea to blend what basics are gonna win games in the NFL, with young ideas that could change the game..

TEXANRED
02-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Jim Eddy (DC)....oh the memories.
Please never mention Jim Eddies name again.

Thank You:)

michaelm
02-02-2006, 04:25 PM
Let me just ask this:

Is anybody we hire better than Fangio?

Yeah... well you might say herpes is better than HIV, but that doesn't mean I want it...:)

That being said, I'm OK with all of the hirings until I'm given a reason to not be...

SESupergenius
02-02-2006, 04:34 PM
Wow Marcus you are throwing out of left field on most of this. You seem to have gone off half cocked. I've been around just as long as you have and there are plenty of times I've disagreed with the status quo or the corporate line, but at least I've been able to express that here. aj. has been pretty bold and yet not too wild on his assessments, I may not agree with what he has to write some times but like Vinny said, at least he gets a chance to do it. He comes off well-spoken in those articles, something I could never do. So give him a little props, unless you think you can do better. Let's hear it.

TEXANRED
02-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Yeah, I agree with Porky...that's a cheap shot. Voice of the fan IS the dissenting opinion (articles by the staff tends to be homer driven - no disrespect to Carter and his gang) on our front page in many cases if you can't figure it out. Nobody appointed AJ "king", but he is a well spoken, well researched, long time Houstonian and an astute observer of football on the NFL level. He was a great choice for this little platform speaking about our Texans from the voice of the fan. Better him than you. This message board gives everyone a shot at dissenting opinion if you wish.
I wouldnt say the VOF is the dissenting opinion. Its more of one guys view of the Texans game and orginization from their point of view and only their point of view. I as a fan do not agree with all that has been written in VOF but there are some things I have agreed with. I think the point that has been missed by some is that VOF is not speaking for all the fans, but as what the tittle states-Voice of the Fan. Maybe it should be renamed Voice of a fan.

I do enjoy reading VOF and I do think it is well written. I would like to say that. Congrats A.J. I do enjoy reading your VOF more than having to read a Justice artical.:)

edo783
02-02-2006, 04:40 PM
Found this at ESPN.com and points out that Smith has some chops and isn't a newbie coach.

Smith, 50, has primarily coached linebackers during his NFL career, and is regarded as an innovative planner. His handiwork was evident last season in Miami, where the Dolphins generated 49 sacks, second most in the league.

I like the idea of the sacks, as that say AGRESSION on defense.

jerek
02-02-2006, 04:46 PM
Mmm ... aggression on defense.

Kaiser Toro
02-02-2006, 04:53 PM
Sounds great. Now that he is here I could care less what he has done, very interested to hear his vision on how to get the Texans D to the top.

Runner
02-02-2006, 04:56 PM
I hope he'll be innovative enough in passing situations to allow Peek to rush at the snap rather than after he takes the time to "read" something.

Corrosion
02-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Im wearing out my mouse wheel here ..... lets get back on topic :cool:

rmartin65
02-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Blitzing is good. This guy therefore sounds good.

Jack Bauer
02-02-2006, 05:32 PM
Sounds great. Now that he is here I could care less what he has done, very interested to hear his vision on how to get the Texans D to the top.

What? You have spent the last few days lambasting Kubiak on his hires because of their past and now this guys doesn't matter?

This time of year is hilarious on message boards...

:rofl:

aj.
02-02-2006, 05:47 PM

You asked.

Last time I checked, you have room for dissenting opinion every time you open a "reply to thread" window. And you expressed yours right before I posted the famous Bum-ism in response.

So I guess your opinion somehow isn't fair game for criticism like mine is?

The reason why I posted the Bum-ism in response to your statement "In the NFL, if you have talent, you're a good coach. If the talent sucks, then you suck. It's always been that way" is because I don't totally agree with it - and neither would Bum if you asked him.

btw, personal attacks and/or name calling is like water off a duck's back to me so don't waste your time. If you want to rip my opinion, have at it.

aj.
02-02-2006, 05:54 PM
From my point of view, there are those on here that have an "air of superiority" in their posts whether it be from "years on the board", "perceived football knowledge", or whatever, .... they may not be that way in real life, but in their words it's very evident ... In all honesty, I've never felt that way about you though (aj) ... my 2 cents

If people feel that way, then I guess that's their problem to deal with and not mine (or Vinny's or Lucky's or Huge's or Herv's or Porky's or ... (sorry if I left anyone out that fits that category) :rolleyes:

Sorry for this interruption -- please no more VOF crap on here. Back to important stuff like .... Jim Eddy

Not really...... but one last thing before we move on. You all should see my email inbox after a VOF article. Usually it's like Vegas - half of the people think I'm a genius and half think I'm the anti-christ. Now I know what it's like to be an opinion columnist. The negative emails were something I wasn't used to at first and they kind of bothered me. Now they are a sick kind of humor therapy that I crave. So when you see a controversial VOF, it's because I'm having a late night belly-laugh-while-reading fix. My wife and daughter hate those nights .... but I am having a great time with it...(thank ya CT)

Anyway .... while I'm a "bit" uneasy about the rookie coordinators, there's not a damm thing I can do about it so it's wait and see (and gripe until they succeed) <humor>

Hmmmm, only one more post until I hit 2,000. Maybe I'll pull a Barry Sanders or a Gump and just quit now. I guess that would make Marcus happy.... <humor>

Okay -- I am OUT on this subject... If you want to rip VOF, write me at my personal email which is at the end of every article or send it to fanfeedback@houstontexans.com

Back to normal stuff like Vince or Reggie, Vince or David, 12th Man, and why our new coaching staff already sux ...

Texan Asylum
02-02-2006, 06:08 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again...aj, some of us look forward to reading VOF ALMOST as much as watching the game, ALMOST. An e-mailer from Kansas.:)

Long Baller
02-02-2006, 06:19 PM
When can we get back to talking about Smith. It seems like the VOF disscusion should move to it's own thread.

Long Baller
02-02-2006, 06:23 PM
Does anyone know why it took him so long to get a solo DC position? I think he was a co-coordinator last year and I don't beleive he has ever been a coordinator? I am behind him and I have no problem with the hire because he sounds like he brings everything we need I was just wondering.

Long Baller
02-02-2006, 06:25 PM
Please ignore my last post. I found another Smith thread that will hopefully stay on topic. Y'all continue the VOF discussion. Later

Grid
02-02-2006, 06:26 PM
I wish his track record as an LB coach was enough to make me feel confident about it. But Dom Capers was a good DC.. Palmer was a good QB coach.. the NFL is full of coaches who were good at something..but couldnt translate that success to the next level.

Dont get me wrong.. I have no problem with the hiring.. its not the rock solid choice I was hoping for.. and it makes me nervous, but Ill give him his shot. Hopefully this coaching staff will be quicker to make changes if Smith DOESNT get us back to respectability though.

TEXANRED
02-02-2006, 06:40 PM
Back to important stuff like .... Jim Eddy

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! WHYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!:crying:

Hasent that man caused us enough pain?

But.............who do you like to see as our D/C if you HAD to choose between the two, Jim Eddy or Vic Fangio?

I would take Fangio.

So Smith cant be all that bad. In fact was Smith part of the D staff that collapsed in Buffalo? Tell me it isnt so.

TEXANRED
02-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Smith DOESNT get us back to respectability though.
I am not bashing or making fun of the post. I kinda snickered and couldnt resist.

When were the Texans ever respected?:spy:

Grid
02-02-2006, 06:55 PM
2002 the defense was respectable.. 2004 the team was respectable.

but yah.. he wouldnt have to try too hard just to improve us over last year's "performance"..if you can even call it that. More like last year's circus of ineptitude.

aj.
02-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Yes, Smith was part of the staff on the 35-3 team. That was his last year here ('92). He was special teams and asst. offensive line coach so he may not have gotten caught up in the direct fire of the Eddy-whack.....

TEXANRED
02-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Yes, Smith was part of the staff on the 35-3 team. That was his last year here ('92). He was special teams and asst. offensive line coach so he may not have gotten caught up in the direct fire of the Eddy-whack....but I know he wasn't here in '93 under Buddy.
At least he wasent part of that D staff.

Kaiser Toro
02-02-2006, 07:20 PM
What? You have spent the last few days lambasting Kubiak on his hires because of their past and now this guys doesn't matter?

This time of year is hilarious on message boards...

:rofl:

Some of us have the ability to know where our allegiances lie, but not fear sticking up for what we would like to see.

Until Sherman or someone who has had previous HC experience arrives on this staff I think we are in for a longer trip than expected to the play offs.

Someone who finds humor in people getting lambasted is disturbing.

TEXANFAN23435
02-02-2006, 07:40 PM
The fact is, getting top Asst. Coaches will be difficult for Kubes. He was not a HC at the NCAA level or at the NFL level, which means the guy doesn't come with a ready made staff and must build a staff of believers from scratch. I can see a lot of the top guys being a little wary jumping into the boat with a first time HC, especially on a team that has hit bottom. Not to mention the team has also decided to keep the one man who should really shoulder the blame for the past 4 seasons of failure and will let him call the shots again this year. It doesn't appear promising but I'm willing to stay optimistic, so....

With that being stated, I think Kubes was a good hire. He's young, ambitious and has learned the trade in some very special organizations. I feel the hiring of Reeves was to monitor CC's moves, which is a good thing. Right now, I think the Asst. Coaches signing on with Kubes view this as a "Everything to gain and nothing to lose" type of situation. It also offers these coaches the opportunity to add feathers to their resumes if they're part of a successful turnaround. This is not a bad thing, it means everyone will be hungry for success.

I would like to see Sherman take the job so we have 2 successful and crafty veterans at two positions in the organization (Reeves the other) where their mentorship could pay long term dividends.

So, as it stands right now, I think Kubes has done a commendable job at bringing in good Asst. Coaches and we as fans just need to stay positive.

infantrycak
02-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Until Sherman or someone who has had previous HC experience arrives on this staff I think we are in for a longer trip than expected to the play offs.

See, I just don't understand hanging optimism on a guy with previous HC experience joining as a non-HC. By no means do I consider every guy who is a former HC to be incompetent, but I certainly don't look for guys getting demoted as the only solution either.

aj.
02-02-2006, 09:18 PM
See, I just don't understand hanging optimism on a guy with previous HC experience joining as a non-HC. By no means do I consider every guy who is a former HC to be incompetent, but I certainly don't look for guys getting demoted as the only solution either.

Each case is probably unique. I totally understand hanging optimism on a former HC who was 57-39 in his tenure and had only one sub-.500 season among several playoff appearances during that time. I'd be less enamored with a former HC who never sniffed .500.

Double Barrel
02-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Please never mention Jim Eddies name again.

Thank You:)

No doubt, I second that motion! :survivor:

However, quite disturbing to hear that Smith was part of the choke team. I think there is some weird karmic synergy between the Astrodome and whoever/whatever is associated with the former team (which is why I caution folks that come to Texans games in one of those baby blue jerseys). First Palmer...now Smith. :hmmm: maybe we should hold a seance or something...

Not that I'm superstitious or anything... ;)

aj.
02-02-2006, 10:07 PM
I was flipping through that same Gameday mag from December '92 and to my horror, there's an article about Casserly on page 3A.

The article has all the standard fare like his $500 bank account, his car with the 120,000 miles, living at the Y ....all that crap. But below a picture of Casserly and Jack Kent Cooke hugging on a Lombardi is this quote that caught my eye:

"Last season, Casserly told Ray Didinger of the Philadelphia Daily News, "People scoff at my background: "'Oh look, a high school coach.' But you are really tested at that level. I can remember looking over every ninth-grade gym class, hoping to find the one or two kids who might be players. There's no scouting combine to help you. You're on your own."

Okay Charley, if you say so... scouting ninth grade gym class was tough duty I'm sure.

So in this one mag, there's mug shots of Chris Palmer, Richard Smith, Charley Casserly ... and Bud Adams all on the first dozen or so pages. I think I'm going to be sick now... Also pictured is Jerry Gray - the player #21.

If I would have only known 14 years ago, how all these planets would align ...or misalign.

Not that I'm superstitious or anything... ;)

outofhnd
02-02-2006, 10:24 PM
All I gotta say is look at all the head coaches that came from the 94 Browns Staff... a lot of big names... We could be on the start of something here. Great offense minds... Defensive well he seems intriguing considering the idea is to run a hybrid...

Personally I like a guy that can generate a pass rush over a defense that bends but does not break. Seattle led the league in sacks, Pittsburgh was pretty high up there as well and where are they? Pressure causes turnovers something that has been missing from our defense since week 16 last year...

We are goin to need some excitement on D so I would love to see more of a gamble on that side of the ball... So next question is player wise what are we gonna do? How is this hybrid going to work? those are the things I would like to hear about.

Marcus
02-02-2006, 11:26 PM
That's a cheap shot imo. It's called voice of the fan, not voice of the fans. If you want a broad overview of the range of opinion on a subject, come to this MB. I am thankful that they allow a fan to post his or her thoughts on a range of subjects on the main website. I generally agree, but even if I didn't, the main website isn't the place to debate it.
Yeah, I agree with Porky...that's a cheap shot. Voice of the fan IS the dissenting opinion (articles by the staff tends to be homer driven - no disrespect to Carter and his gang) on our front page in many cases if you can't figure it out. Nobody appointed AJ "king", but he is a well spoken, well researched, long time Houstonian and an astute observer of football on the NFL level. He was a great choice for this little platform speaking about our Texans from the voice of the fan. Better him than you. This message board gives everyone a shot at dissenting opinion if you wish.
Wow Marcus you are throwing out of left field on most of this. You seem to have gone off half cocked. I've been around just as long as you have and there are plenty of times I've disagreed with the status quo or the corporate line, but at least I've been able to express that here. aj. has been pretty bold and yet not too wild on his assessments, I may not agree with what he has to write some times but like Vinny said, at least he gets a chance to do it. He comes off well-spoken in those articles, something I could never do. So give him a little props, unless you think you can do better. Let's hear it.
Hmmmm, only one more post until I hit 2,000. Maybe I'll pull a Barry Sanders or a Gump and just quit now. I guess that would make Marcus happy.... <humor>

Ruffle some feathers, did I? :wow:

No, aj, I don't want to you to quit. But I thought your opinions were pretty much objective until you weighed in sharply on one side of the great debate (VW-RB) the other day. Although it's been dissected ad nauseum on this message board, that was one time I thought I thought the other side deserved equal time.

Oh, BTW, Bum had some great talent at his disposal when he was coach.:)

Double Barrel
02-03-2006, 01:00 AM
So in this one mag, there's mug shots of Chris Palmer, Richard Smith, Charley Casserly ... and Bud Adams all on the first dozen or so pages. I think I'm going to be sick now... Also pictured is Jerry Gray - the player #21.

If I would have only known 14 years ago, how all these planets would align ...or misalign.

YIKES!! :eek:

There's only one solution: tear down the 'dome! :spy:

SESupergenius
02-03-2006, 01:03 AM
Ruffle some feathers, did I? :wow:

No, aj, I don't want to you to quit. But I thought your opinions were pretty much objective until you weighed in sharply on one side of the great debate (VW-RB) the other day. Although it's been dissected ad nauseum on this message board, that was one time I thought I thought the other side deserved equal time.

Oh, BTW, Bum had some great talent at his disposal when he was coach.:)It's not so much that ruffled some feathers amongst a coalition, every one of those guys' names you quoted has a complete and seperate view of this franchise. It's just that you fired off at the Voice of the Fan thing as if aj. thinks he's better than anyone else on these boards. The Voice of the Fan is actually one of the most unque things i've seen on a website, a customer pretty much gives their take on the product. Now that is truley rare.

Lucky
02-03-2006, 01:11 AM
Oh, BTW, Bum had some great talent at his disposal when he was coach.:)
The irony of Bum's adage is his 5-1 record against Shula. :respect: (Luv dat Bum)

I've noticed a few interesting items regarding the Dolphin defense under Smith. One was that Miami gave the Broncos offense the most trouble in '05, shutting down both Jake and the running game. The Broncos were held to their lowest point total of the season in the 34-10 loss at Miami. I think Coach K took notice.

Smith also did a good job of incorporating young defenders like Channing Crowder and Travis Daniels into the Miami defense. That sounds good as the Texans will play a number of young players on defense such as Travis Johnson, Brown, Babin, and whatever rookies the Texans may bring into the fold.

While the Texans evolve into a 4-3 defense, Kubiak has mentioned that the Texans will still play some 3-4. Smith has been a 4-3 coach for much of his career, but the Dolphins played a a hybrid defense last year as they transformed from a 4-3 to a 3-4. And I can see more teams going to hybrid defenses in the future, as the quick agile 250ish lb LB/DEs coming into the league show the ability to play standing up or with a hand down. Gives the offense a little more to think about.

aj.
02-03-2006, 07:34 AM
I've noticed a few interesting items regarding the Dolphin defense under Smith. One was that Miami gave the Broncos offense the most trouble in '05, shutting down both Jake and the running game. The Broncos were held to their lowest point total of the season in the 34-10 loss at Miami. I think Coach K took notice.

Other factors may have been the Rocky Mountain team at opening week in the swamps of Miami, complete with all of it's 90 degrees and 65% humidity.

Just scrolling through the gamebook shows the Broncos could do nothing on the ground, but I did notice they lost Mike Anderson in the first quarter due to injury. Champ Bailey and a host of others also had to leave the game for heat related and other assorted injuries. Plummer had a bad day only completing 46% of his passes and had a 51 or something passer rating.

What I noticed while scrolling through their season results is that Week 1 was arguably the Dolphins best defensive performance of the season - at least against a good team - although a strong case could be made for their Week 14 win at San Diego which was the beginning of the end for the Chargers.

The Phins regularly gave up 20+ points in most of their games - even those that they won. They ended up 15th in the league in scoring defense - middle of the pack - but I will take that in a heartbeat in '06.

One Miami stat I like from last year is that they finished 2nd in the NFL in QB sacks with 49 - one behind Seattle. Of course, Jason Taylor had 12 of those so who is going to be our Jason Taylor?

Almost Anybody
02-03-2006, 08:04 AM
One Miami stat I like from last year is that they finished 2nd in the NFL in QB sacks with 49 - one behind Seattle. Of course, Jason Taylor had 12 of those so who is going to be our Jason Taylor?

And if it turns out that we don't have that "Jason Taylor", would that mean that Richard Smith is a bad coach?

aj.
02-03-2006, 08:16 AM
And if it turns out that we don't have that "Jason Taylor", would that mean that Richard Smith is a bad coach?

No, but if he can get equivalent production out of a combination of Babin and Peek or any other misfit DE we might have on the roster, it probably means he's a good coach.

cadahnic
02-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Hopefully that guy will be Mario Williams in a trade down scenario. Richard Smith has been around the 4-3/3-4 hybrid for a minimum of 9 of his 18 coaching seasons.

Errant Hothy
02-04-2006, 12:46 PM
Linebacker coach hired:

Texans | Holland hired as linebackers coach
Sat, 4 Feb 2006 08:10:49 -0800

Mark Gaughan, of The Buffalo News, reports the Houston Texans have signed Buffalo Bills linebackers coach Johnny Holland to become the team's new linebackers coach. Holland has spent the past four days in the Bills organization.

www.kffl.com

OK hire in my opinion.

euro-Texan
12-29-2008, 07:43 PM

And even when we did, It meant just that.......

Sorry for the ancient thread, just wanted to close the loop on Smith....

TEXANRED
12-29-2008, 08:00 PM
Alright it is starting to take shape. I am really liking the words, tone and directness in Kubiak's answers as I read them. I would be interested to have heard the interview with Kubiak.

Very interested to hear Smith and see what his vision is for the league's worst defense.

To be just as terrible and just as inept as the previous four years?

His true goal is to make us all wish for Vic Fangio back.

Silver Oak
12-29-2008, 09:18 PM
funny reading some of the optimism when RS came on board.

good times.

Ryan
09-30-2009, 01:13 PM
even this clown is way better than frank bush.

Double Barrel
09-30-2009, 01:15 PM
aaaahhhhh, zombie thread on the loose!! :eek:

Ryan
09-30-2009, 01:16 PM
I was just ever so tempted to bump it.:gun:

Thorn
09-30-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm not seeing where we are any better off with Frank Bush than with Richard Smith.

Ryan
09-30-2009, 01:23 PM
At least the Richard Smith defense made the opposing team work for their TD. The Frank Bush defense is having a buy one, get one free TD special. Hell i think it's all free.

76Texan
09-30-2009, 03:39 PM
:spit:At least the Richard Smith defense made the opposing team work for their TD. The Frank Bush defense is having a buy one, get one free TD special. Hell i think it's all free.

Brisco_County
09-30-2009, 03:57 PM
The players are to blame more than the scheme. Specifically the DB's and DT's. I've seen a lot of our defensive plays result in a tackle for loss, and then one guy misses his assignment, resulting in a 60+ yard play.

I'd be more worried if our defense looked like last year's, where opposing runningbacks were getting five to ten yards on every down (which we saw in preseason, but not regular).

GP
09-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Was kinda' hoping we had hired him back...but it was just a bumped thread.

:bummer:

GP
09-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Just checking back to see if maybe we DID hire Richard Smith back.

But I guess we didn't.

:bored:

Porky
09-30-2009, 04:45 PM
I'm pining for the good old days of Richard Smiths read and re-crap defense. I remember that bygone era where teams would run up and down the field at will on us and we would only give up 30 points a game. I tell ya, it brings a tear to my eye. :cry2:

Second Honeymoon
09-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Bring back Richard Smith. At least he didn't field the worst defense in NFL history. He was close, but never approached this suckitude.

Wolf
09-30-2009, 05:34 PM
heck while we are at it

I am wondering what Fangio's defense would have done with the defense being we do have an offense that can score :gun: :tease:

ahh the days of the Texans in survival mode on offense.. just play field position and hope.. meanwhile the defense carried the load

GP
09-30-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm pining for the good old days of Richard Smiths read and re-crap defense. I remember that bygone era where teams would run up and down the field at will on us and we would only give up 30 points a game. I tell ya, it brings a tear to my eye. :cry2:

LOL. Ah yes, "the good old days..."