PDA

View Full Version : Mike Sherman

texman8
01-31-2006, 09:33 PM
http://www.nflfans.com/x/showthread.php?t=7793
Looks like Sherman is coming here.

Carr Bombed
01-31-2006, 09:37 PM
is there any more reliable sources other than a messageboard.

I hope its true though, that would give us one hell of a offense.

I just hope we shore up the defensive staff.

dat_boy_yec
01-31-2006, 09:38 PM
Finally, I am glad we have someone named to be o-line coach and assistant head coach. I'm glad we got the offensive side of the ball taken care of. Now hopefully we'll start workin on the D. GO SHERMAN!!! GO TEXANS!!! Today is a good day.:fans:

Double Barrel
01-31-2006, 09:39 PM
Do we have an "official" source, yet. Good news, if true! For some reason, I feel good about having Sherman on the staff. He seems to be a solid coach.

D-ReK
01-31-2006, 09:45 PM
From KFFL:

Texans | Sherman to accept position on Texans’ staff
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 19:10:31 -0800

Albert Breer, of the Metrowest Daily News, reports former Green Bay Packers head coach Mike Sherman told the newspaper he will accept an offer to join the Houston Texans' coaching staff. He is expected to be named assistant head coach/offensive line.

http://www.kffl.com/player/1966/NFL

Tailgate
01-31-2006, 09:48 PM
This is a solid pick up for us!

cap1
01-31-2006, 09:50 PM
Great pick up. We need to solidify the defensive coaches now.

nunusguy
01-31-2006, 09:54 PM
If this story is true, wonder if it means they may drop the zone blocking system ?

the-wiz
01-31-2006, 09:56 PM
Huzzah! Great pick up in my book. I think this will help silence some of the critics about the hiring of Kyle Shanahan with the addition of a proven winner in Sherman.

D-ReK
01-31-2006, 10:00 PM
If this story is true, wonder if it means they may drop the zone blocking system ?

I guess the KFFL report wasn't good enough for you...Here's the actual article:

Mike Sherman spent 17 years in coaching before throwing his hat into the NFL ring.
This time around, it seems as if four weeks on the outside looking in was more than enough for the Northborough product.
According to a published report on Saturday, the ex-Packers coach was offered a position as assistant head coach/offensive line head coach Gary Kubiak’s first staff in Houston. Tuesday night, a source close to Sherman confirmed to the Daily News that he has accepted the Texans’ post.

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/sportsNews/view.bg?articleid=120749

wrestler4life
01-31-2006, 10:19 PM
Well, then if we do drop the zone blocking scheme, how would this offense be like the Denver offense, as we have been told it would by Koobs.

barzilla
01-31-2006, 10:20 PM
Forget that he is a former head coach. This is a bright offensive mind with experience as a line coach. That was our weakest unit and it has our best assistant coach so far.

run-david-run
01-31-2006, 10:23 PM
Hopefully he will improve our individual pass protection more then anything. This would make it even more attractive to draft D'Brick...

FILO_girl
01-31-2006, 10:38 PM
:whoohoo: :wow: :whoohoo:
I feel so woo-hooey getting more 'concrete' evidence. Good call, Gary!

Now, whatcha gonna do about the DC situation? We are ALL ears. :drool:

bigTEXan8
01-31-2006, 10:39 PM
Hopefully he will improve our individual pass protection more then anything. This would make it even more attractive to draft D'Brick...

Solid post. I'm looking forward to see what he can do with our people. I wonder if he'll have any influence on the draft. Sherman could be a solid addition to the team as whole.

cadahnic
01-31-2006, 11:37 PM
The main aspect of bringing in Sherman is to improve the pass blocking. The zone blocking scheme will do its damage run blocking and with improvement of technique, but Denver's pass blocking was not overly dominant and Kubiak is trying to fix that. Sherman has done a good job in the past of teaching pass blocking technique. I dont think him coming here does much for us drafting D'Brick, if anything it further solidifies the fact that we will either take Bush or draft for defense.

Texans Pride
01-31-2006, 11:38 PM
Nice find guys!

Thanks for the post!

michaelm
01-31-2006, 11:51 PM
The main aspect of bringing in Sherman is to improve the pass blocking. The zone blocking scheme will do its damage run blocking and with improvement of technique, but Denver's pass blocking was not overly dominant and Kubiak is trying to fix that. Sherman has done a good job in the past of teaching pass blocking technique. I dont think him coming here does much for us drafting D'Brick, if anything it further solidifies the fact that we will either take Bush or draft for defense.

To the previous guy who gave props for a solid post...
This is what a solid post looks like!

Nighthawk
02-01-2006, 01:46 AM
Thank heavens. Experience! Amazing.

Corrosion
02-01-2006, 06:02 AM

Have to disagree with one point here . Denvers pass protection was FAR above average during the regular season . They ranked 3rd in the NFL with only 23 sacks allowed behind only Cincinnati (21) and Indianapolis (20) .

It wasnt until the Steelers Play-off game that their protection broke down ...and the Steelers did the same thing to the two afore mentioned teams in the play-offs . Cincy allowed 4 sacks to the Steelers in their play-off game , The Colts 5 sacks vs the Steelers while Denver gave up 3 . Not only did they sack them but they harrassed those QB's continually thruought the games .

I think this just shows how good Pittsburgh's defense and scheme is to do that to the TOP THREE teams in sacks allowed in the regular season during their play-off run .

On a side note , the two QB's who were sacked least this past season also put up the highest QB rating's .

Peyton Manning 104.1 ... 20 sacks
Carson Palmer 101.1 .... 21 sacks

A comparison to those sacked the most .

David Carr 77.2 ........68 sacks
Daunte Culpepper 72.0 ....31 sacks in his 7 games before finding his way to the bench due to injury . (Minn was second in sacks allowed this season w/ 54 total)

As for Sherman coming to the Texans , I think its a good hire but only a short term fix because he will be a head coach again in the not too distant future . Sherman was a HC casualty because of injuries and the fact that his O-line was torn apart in the last offseason losing two starters via FA .... :stirpot:

aj.
02-01-2006, 06:12 AM
That link above didn't work. They may have changed the path. Here's one that works.

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/sportsNews/view.bg?articleid=120760

HoustonFan
02-01-2006, 06:43 AM
It took me a minute to realize who Mike Sherman was. Not bad. I think the coaching staff is shaping up nice. Still anxious on the defensive side. Seems like Jon Hoke is the only one holding it down for the defensive backs.

O.G.
02-01-2006, 06:55 AM
Great pick up. We need to solidify the defensive coaches now.

Exactly. You know it seems we aren't the only one's that aren't interested in Meeting Jim Bates demands. Buffalo just hired there DC yesterday. I wonder what's the deal with Jerry Gray? Why haven't we considered him?

HoustonFan
02-01-2006, 07:02 AM
Exactly. You know it seems we aren't the only one's that aren't interested in Meeting Jim Bates demands. Buffalo just hired there DC yesterday. I wonder what's the deal with Jerry Gray? Why haven't we considered him?

Doesn't matter now, the Redskins got him. Damn, Redskins!!! lol

Dean 74
02-01-2006, 07:03 AM
outstanding!:yahoo:

Texans Horror
02-01-2006, 07:13 AM
To be honest, with Kubiak as HC, I wasn't as concerned about the OC. It's the DC that I am more interested in. Is there a list of viable candidates? All I keep hearing is Bates, and it's usually not in a positive connotation.

O.G.
02-01-2006, 07:21 AM
To be honest, with Kubiak as HC, I wasn't as concerned about the OC. It's the DC that I am more interested in. Is there a list of viable candidates? All I keep hearing is Bates, and it's usually not in a positive connotation.

It's looking extremely thin IMO

keyfro
02-01-2006, 08:43 AM
this is absolutely fantastic...it's about time we get some experience on this staff...granted he'll only be here for a max of 2 years...you gotta believe he'll get another HC job soon

Kaiser Toro
02-01-2006, 08:44 AM
http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=4439316

Just another outfit picking up the report from Boston, but this outfit is out of Green Bay. At the very least this should make this a front burner issue and get people on record.

TexanBacker93
02-01-2006, 09:43 AM
It's looking extremely thin IMO

It's looking thin if all we are considering are big names. All successful coaches were nobodys once. I'd rather get the person that's best for the job rather than overpay to get someone just because they have had success. I think McNair is willing to pay if needed, but he's not Dan Snyder who wants nothing buy headlines. If Bates is the best person for the team they will find a way to get him.

Kaiser Toro
02-01-2006, 09:45 AM
What is interesting is to know how Sherman's and Bates relationship was/is. Will Sherman help capture Bates and soothe over the control mantra?

Jack Bauer
02-01-2006, 09:47 AM
What is interesting is to know how Sherman's and Bates relationship was/is. Will Sherman help capture Bates and soothe over the control mantra?

Good point. I had not thought of how Sherman could influence Bates.

bckey
02-01-2006, 10:55 AM

I was thinking about that last night when I heard the Sherman news. I hope Bates will put his ego aside and come aboard. Even if he is only here a short time he can groom the future or co dc.

nunusguy
02-01-2006, 11:00 AM
I was thinking about that last night when I heard the Sherman news. I hope Bates will put his ego aside and come aboard. Even if he is only here a short time he can groom the future or co dc.
For the sake of stability I think I'd rather have an unknown who's here for a
longer term than some name coach who's here for maybe a season until something to his real likeing comes along. And of course that applies to both
Sherman & Bates.

O.G.
02-01-2006, 12:33 PM
It's looking thin if all we are considering are big names. All successful coaches were nobodys once. I'd rather get the person that's best for the job rather than overpay to get someone just because they have had success. I think McNair is willing to pay if needed, but he's not Dan Snyder who wants nothing buy headlines. If Bates is the best person for the team they will find a way to get him.

Even if they aren't big names, Teams are locking up there assistants. That or they aren't releasing them from there current contracts. What's the lastest on the two defensive assistants......one from Arizona and the other from Miami? Frank Bush and Richard Smith I believe there names were.

66cobra
02-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Arizona declined to let Bush interview/accept the co-DC job; I have not heard anything new on Smith as of yet.

Kaiser Toro
02-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Even if they aren't big names, Teams are locking up there assistants. That or they aren't releasing them from there current contracts. What's the lastest on the two defensive assistants......one from Arizona and the other from Miami? Frank Bush and Richard Smith I believe there names were.

Arizona would not release Bush as of a couple of days ago.

O.G.
02-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Arizona declined to let Bush interview/accept the co-DC job; I have not heard anything new on Smith as of yet.

Sounds like we are back at Square one. No big name DC which I frankly don't care about anyway, but no "experienced" assistance free from there current commitments. I wonder about the assistants on the Pittsburgh's staff.

Hardcore Texan
02-01-2006, 12:47 PM
:redtowel:
it's a good day to be a Texan Fan

I haven't given up on the possibility our DC will be employed by another team until after a certain game on Sunday. :excited:

ArlingtonTexan
02-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Arizona would not release Bush as of a couple of days ago.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9201384

Here is an update.
__________________________________________________ ______________
A CARDINAL MOVE
Last week, Cardinals coach Dennis Green denied the Texans permission to hire Arizona linebackers coach Frank Bush as Houston's defensive coordinator.

But now Green is making it up to Bush.

The Cardinals will name Bush their assistant head coach, a promotion rewarding Bush for remaining with Arizona as opposed to going with Houston. It continues a steady rise for Bush, who has gone from special teams coach to linebackers coach to assistant head coach. Bush is popular amongst players and, being such, could be in line for more promotions in the future.

TreWardTxn
02-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Have to disagree with one point here . Denvers pass protection was FAR above average during the regular season . They ranked 3rd in the NFL with only 23 sacks allowed behind only Cincinnati (21) and Indianapolis (20) .

It wasnt until the Steelers Play-off game that their protection broke down ...and the Steelers did the same thing to the two afore mentioned teams in the play-offs . Cincy allowed 4 sacks to the Steelers in their play-off game , The Colts 5 sacks vs the Steelers while Denver gave up 3 . Not only did they sack them but they harrassed those QB's continually thruought the games .

I think this just shows how good Pittsburgh's defense and scheme is to do that to the TOP THREE teams in sacks allowed in the regular season during their play-off run .

On a side note , the two QB's who were sacked least this past season also put up the highest QB rating's .

Peyton Manning 104.1 ... 20 sacks
Carson Palmer 101.1 .... 21 sacks

A comparison to those sacked the most .

David Carr 77.2 ........68 sacks
Daunte Culpepper 72.0 ....31 sacks in his 7 games before finding his way to the bench due to injury . (Minn was second in sacks allowed this season w/ 54 total)

As for Sherman coming to the Texans , I think its a good hire but only a short term fix because he will be a head coach again in the not too distant future . Sherman was a HC casualty because of injuries and the fact that his O-line was torn apart in the last offseason losing two starters via FA .... :stirpot:

All that stat quoting is good, but don't remember all the times Jake squeezed his way out of what should have been sacks, I can remember at least three times vividly. He did end up fumbling the last one on 4th down...They pass protect well because they move the QB with PA bootleg action with is effective due to the running game; however, they are not a great drop back passing team, but efficient. Carr can be better in the pocket than Jake though.

O.G.
02-01-2006, 12:53 PM

I haven't given up on the possibility our DC will be employed by another team until after a certain game on Sunday. :excited:

More and more I'm thinking the same thing.

MightyTExan
02-01-2006, 01:13 PM
No announcemnts on the home page or the Chronic? :confused:

Porky
02-01-2006, 01:25 PM

Are y'all thinking of Dick Lebeau? Why on Earth would he come here?

Sportsfan
02-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Found this on the MetroWest Daily News:

Northborough’s Sherman in line for job with Texans
By Albert Breer/ Daily News Staff
Wednesday, February 1, 2006 - Updated: 02:42 AM EST

Mike Sherman spent 17 years in coaching before throwing his hat into the NFL ring.

This time around, it seems as if four weeks on the outside looking in was more than enough for the Northborough product.

According to a published report on Saturday, the ex-Packers coach was offered a position as assistant head coach/offensive line head coach Gary Kubiak’s first staff in Houston. Last night, a source close to Sherman confirmed to the Daily News that he has accepted the Texans’ post.

The fit seems to be a natural. Kubiak and Sherman worked together on the offensive side of the ball -- Kubiak with the running backs, Sherman with the line -- at Texas A&M in 1992 and ’93 under R.C. Slocum. Kubiak, in fact, tried to convince Sherman to come to the Broncos before Sherman took his first pro job as Packers tight ends and assistant offensive line coach in 1997.

Also, the two come from the same NFL coaching tree, one tracing back to Bill Walsh, which is sure to ease the transition for both men.

Sherman interviewed for vacant positions in New Orleans and Buffalo in recent weeks, and was reported to be one of two finalists for the Bills head coaching job that went to fellow Bay State native Dick Jauron (Swampscott). He was also approached by Jauron and new Jets coach Eric Mangini about becoming offensive coordinator, but reportedly brushed back those overtures.

In Houston, Sherman will join new offensive coordinator Troy Calhoun and receivers coach Kyle Shanahan (son of Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan), both of whom came from Denver with Kubiak, and holdover Chick Harris, the team’s running backs coach.

Working with the offensive line in Houston, Sherman has a mighty task in front of him. Former No.1 overall pick David Carr has taken a staggering 208 sacks (1,226 yards lost) in his four-year career, and the Texans haven’t drafted linemen with any proficiency.

In its first two seasons, Houston spent three top-75 picks on offensive linemen. Only one, guard Chester Pitts, has become a consistent starter, and the prized pick of the 2002 expansion draft, oft-injured left tackle Tony Boselli, never played a down for the team.

On the other hand, Sherman will be working with an offensive staff largely from Denver, a place where some of the best offensive lines of the last decade have been cultivated.

And in Houston, there’s also the matter of the team having the No.1 overall pick, widely expected to be USC tailback Reggie Bush. There has also been speculation the team will rid itself of Carr -- who may have taken one too many hits at this point -- before the quarterback’s $8 million roster bonus comes due on March 1, which would clear the way for the Texans to pick Houston native Vince Young or Southern Cal quarterback Matt Leinart.

Of course, Sherman may want to start stumping for Virginia’s blue-chip left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson, considering the Texans’ history up front.

nunusguy
02-01-2006, 01:44 PM
McNair makes him a godfather offer ?

bigTEXan8
02-01-2006, 01:47 PM
McNair makes him a godfather offer ?

http://www.poster.net/godfather-the/godfather-the-photo-the-godfather-6204716.jpg

I'll give him an offer he can't refuse. I would hate for something bad to happen to him.

TEXANRED
02-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Isnt Dick Labeau a D coordinator? Why would he make a latteral move?

jdog
02-01-2006, 04:35 PM
I'm thinking Rhodes! He is from around the area. Please, please, please...

jdog
02-01-2006, 04:40 PM

$$$$$

texanfan2002114
02-01-2006, 04:41 PM
I'm thinking Rhodes! He is from around the area. Please, please, please...

Rhodes just had a stroke earlier this year. No thank you!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2240054

ccdude730
02-01-2006, 04:42 PM
its all about the benjamins! but i cant believe that he would be willing to come here if he even got permission to speak with us.

would put much heat into the debate of keeping the 34 when players and fans have been calling for the 43

jdog
02-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Rhodes just had an heart attack earlier this year. No thank you!!

Ah, it all makes sense now. He just had a heart attack and wants to come home.

Carr Bombed
02-01-2006, 04:47 PM
Rhodes just had an heart attack earlier this year. No thank you!! It was a stroke, just for clarification

jdog
02-01-2006, 04:50 PM
It was a stroke, just for clarification

Hasn't our nation's leader had several of these? What's his name? Cheney.

texanfan2002114
02-01-2006, 04:52 PM
It was a stroke, just for clarification

Yea I just changed it and added a link. Thanks!!

BuffSoldier
02-01-2006, 04:53 PM
Awesome, just awesome... I hope he turns this o-line around.

Porky
02-01-2006, 05:05 PM
Isn't it a little disconcerting that not a single major media outlet is reporting this independently yet? Not one that I can find. The only references I can find point back to this small sububurban newspaper. This is a paper not even in Boston. I'm not sure I am putting much stock in this YET, although I do hope it's true. You would think that at least one outlet, whether ESPN, the Chronicle, Berman, someone, anyone, could corborate this story, as I am sure they have been burning up the phone lines today....yet we get nothing. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Hardcore Texan
02-01-2006, 05:10 PM

Actually I was thinking of Dwayne Board

http://www.seahawks.com/coaches.aspx?SecID=43&CoachID=21

or

John Marshall

http://www.seahawks.com/coaches.aspx?SecID=43&CoachID=25

That is what I was thinking because it has been so quiet and they are pre-occupied with bigger things at the moment.

I first read about the John Marshall idea on this board...I think Kaiser Toro posted it.

But back to topic, I hope that the Sherman news is announced soon. I will rest easier.

Texans_Chick
02-01-2006, 05:19 PM
Just in interesting Wis-cahn-sin take on things:

link-"Sherman should not fumble away this coaching opportunity " (http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060129/APC02/601290508/1892)

On why Sherman should take the Texans job.

bdiddy
02-01-2006, 08:34 PM
Kubiak has denied that Sherman has accepted, said that Sherman is still thinking about it. Kubiak stated that he was willing to wait for a guy the quality of Sherman. Should be in tomorrows Chronicle, maybe on the web site sooner.

powda
02-01-2006, 08:42 PM
John Marshall

http://www.seahawks.com/coaches.aspx?SecID=43&CoachID=25

I first read about the John Marshall idea on this board...I think Kaiser Toro posted it.

snubbed on my birthday. thanks. :crying:

Hardcore Texan
02-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Sorry Powda and Happy B-day

texan279
02-01-2006, 11:25 PM
Kubiak has denied that Sherman has accepted, said that Sherman is still thinking about it. Kubiak stated that he was willing to wait for a guy the quality of Sherman. Should be in tomorrows Chronicle, maybe on the web site sooner.

from kffl.com

Texans | Kubiak denies Sherman has accepted his job offer
Wed, 1 Feb 2006 18:20:36 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak denied an earlier report out of Boston that Mike Sherman had accepted his offer to join the Texans. "That story's false," Kubiak said about the report that Sherman had accepted his offer. "Mike hasn't decided anything yet. I told him how much I'd like to have him, but I told him to take his time and let me know when he'd decided." Sherman is not expected to make a decision to join the Texans as assistant head coach/offensive line before next week.

Kaiser Toro
02-08-2006, 09:23 AM
http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=4469672

The Houston Texans are still holding the door open for former Green Bay Packers coach Mike Sherman, even though the team has hired a coach to handle the job already offered to Sherman.

The Texans hired an offensive line coach Tuesday but said that person will become the assistant offensive line coach if Sherman accepts their offer. Sherman would also serve as assistant head coach.

This is becoming a rather long courtship. Last week a suburban Boston newspaper cited sources close to Sherman saying he accepted the job, then the next day Texans coach Gary Kubiak said Sherman didn't give an answer yet.

The job is Sherman's if he wants it. The Texans expect a decision this week.

cadahnic
02-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Kaiser I think he needs to give his answer pretty soon, but to leave the door open does not hurt us that much. Sherman will be a good addition to the line and can only help us in facets of the operation. I just hope we are not missing out on other guys that he is interested in by waiting on Sherman. I do think though if Sherman comes in it will be more likely we go defense. I was looking at most drafts when a offensive coach was hired and most of the time they go defense to improve that side of the ball. We may do this in the draft or FA, but unless they feel we need a QB I am pulling for defense.

Kaiser Toro
02-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Kaiser I think he needs to give his answer pretty soon, but to leave the door open does not hurt us that much. Sherman will be a good addition to the line and can only help us in facets of the operation. I just hope we are not missing out on other guys that he is interested in by waiting on Sherman. I do think though if Sherman comes in it will be more likely we go defense. I was looking at most drafts when a offensive coach was hired and most of the time they go defense to improve that side of the ball. We may do this in the draft or FA, but unless they feel we need a QB I am pulling for defense.

Thinking the same thing.

Sportsfan
02-08-2006, 10:17 AM
This is all speculation. Heard this morning that we won't know if he accepts until the end of the week. Period.

Johnny Utah
02-08-2006, 10:20 AM
It's up to McNair to dazzle Sherman with green. He said he would spend money to put a great coaching staff together, but we haven't seen it yet. Get it done McNair.

Kaiser Toro
02-08-2006, 10:21 AM
This is all speculation. Heard this morning that we won't know if he accepts until the end of the week. Period.

To quote Slap Shot, "thats what it says in the year book Jim."

Cjeremy635
02-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Honestly, I am excited about this new coaching staff. I have said it before and I'll stand by it, I feel like this is going to turn out to be one of those "dream team" coaching staffs of years past. I hope I'm right, this town could sure use the boost. Regardless, it's going to better than the uncreative and unaggressive staff that we've previously had.:redtowel: :homer:

Texans_Chick
02-08-2006, 04:09 PM
It's up to McNair to dazzle Sherman with green. He said he would spend money to put a great coaching staff together, but we haven't seen it yet. Get it done McNair.

IIRC, the Packers have to pay the difference between the salary he receives from a new team and his old salary.

So I am guessing, there isn't huge incentive to make at least the early years of such a contract big.

As for McNair spending money, I think Kubiak is getting the guys he wants--the only ones he hasn't gotten haven't rejected us because of money, but rather because they can't get out of their old contracts (PHX guy) or they just don't want to come here (Dan Neil rumor).

U4ikrob
02-08-2006, 05:26 PM
I truly hope Sherman comes on board. He would be a great assett on this staff and I agree with the earlier poster about this possibly turning out to be the early makings of a great team staff. It could possibly be a dream team staff if thigns work out well over the next few years.

I certainly feel this staff will NOT lack in taking chances, trying new things. calling out players to step it up, encouraging and trying to support every facet of being a real NFL quality team. I think they will be trying everything they can to get the most out of this team and I'm all for it. :redtowel:

With Sherman on board it would certainly lend even more legitimacy to the staff being good, but honestly I like the idea of giving all the young coaches a break to try and be the coaches they truly want to be. Something to be said about people being in a job they enjoy and are passionate about. I think it will bleed over to the players and hopefully translate well on the field too! :yahoo:

Samer
02-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Im very happy with this new coaching staff and to add Sherman makes it that much better

bigTEXan8
02-08-2006, 06:54 PM
OK...is it for sure that Sherman is going to be with the Texans? I haven't seen anything on it, nor have I seened it confirmed on this board. Could someone point me to it if I missed it.

U4ikrob
02-09-2006, 07:51 AM
OK...is it for sure that Sherman is going to be with the Texans? I haven't seen anything on it, nor have I seened it confirmed on this board. Could someone point me to it if I missed it.

No official word on him signing with us yet - its still up i nthe air until the end of this week is what reports are saying

El Tejano
02-09-2006, 09:26 AM
I just hope this dude makes up his mind now. It's Thursday already so how about an answer?

Maddict5
02-09-2006, 10:02 AM
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9217539

EYES OF TEXANS
Look for former Packers head coach Mike Sherman to decide within the week whether to accept an offer to become the Houston Texans assistant head coach, overseeing the team's offensive line.

The Texans have recruited Sherman as hard as they can. He was brought to Texans owner Bob McNair's house for a get-to-know-you lunch in which Houston made it known how important Sherman could be to its team. Then they gave Sherman as much time as he wanted and needed to make his decision.

Indications are that, ultimately, Sherman will take the offer. The organization is too good for him not to, and Sherman and Kubiak are good friends from their days coaching together at Texas A&M.

Official word is due any time now.

El Tejano
02-09-2006, 02:35 PM
I guess we are still waiting.....

Kaiser Toro
02-09-2006, 02:37 PM
I guess we are still waiting.....

If you turn up the sound on your computer while visiting this thread you will hear the Jeopardy music. Actually that is the friggin guy that sits next to me who has it as a ringer on his phone. :)

chuckm
02-09-2006, 02:42 PM
so if Sherman comes on board, what's the over/under on number of days until we see a "bring Favre to Houston to mentor Young" post?

PapaL
02-09-2006, 02:58 PM
so if Sherman comes on board, what's the over/under on number of days until we see a "bring Favre to Houston to mentor Young" post?

10 minutes, tops. This place has been a mad house since just before the season.

uhcougar08
02-09-2006, 03:52 PM
When and if Sherman gets hired, I am going to love all the Aggie coaches we will have around this organization. Maybe we can bring in RC Slocum to play with the Defense, Bucky Richardson can do a little QB stuff, and oh ya, we need Ray Childress to be the D-Line coach.........I cant wait!:stirpot:

ojthecat
02-09-2006, 10:11 PM
I just heard on Fox News that Mike Sherman will accept the job.:redtowel: :redtowel: :redtowel:

FILO_girl
02-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Texans | Sherman expected to accept assistant coaching position
Thu, 9 Feb 2006 19:26:43 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports former Green Bay Packers head coach Mike Sherman is expected to accept a position with the Houston Texans as their new assistant head coach/offensive line. The move may not become official before next week.

Might as well add this one also-

Texans | Team exercises Carr's option; move not expected to impact NFL Draft selection
Thu, 9 Feb 2006 19:09:20 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans exercised the $8 million option that extends QB David Carr's contract through the 2008 season, according to a source close to the team. A formal announcement is expected Friday, Feb. 10. Carr's extension calls for the $8 million bonus and base salaries of $5.25 million this year, $5.5 million in 2007 and $6 million in 2008. The decision to extend Carr's contract has nothing to do with the top pick in the draft. The Texans still haven't decided if they'll select University of Texas QB Vince Young or Southern California RB Reggie Bush. The Texans also haven't ruled out the possibility of trading down.

the-wiz
02-09-2006, 10:33 PM
linkage.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3649092.html

:)

Carr Bombed
02-09-2006, 10:35 PM
So who here thinks we should make a move for Brett Farve :cool: J/K

mexican_texan
02-09-2006, 11:00 PM
So who here thinks we should make a move for Brett Farve :cool: J/K
Why not, we could have an extra QB coach.:pigfly:
Remember, there was talk of John El Guey.

BigBull17
02-10-2006, 08:46 AM
Please Favre wouldnt mentor Aaron Rodgers and that team should mean alot to him. Why would he come here and mentor our QBs.

U4ikrob
02-10-2006, 10:21 AM
its the "Shermanator" factor :D

El Tejano
02-10-2006, 10:55 AM
Good news. I am glad we have some experience there.

Big78
02-10-2006, 11:40 AM
*the defensive end beats the left tackle around the corner, he sprints towards Carr. *Crashing sounds* . *Carr rolls over dazed. The Shermanator bends over and extends his hand,"Come with me if you want to live"

chuckm
02-10-2006, 11:43 AM
*the defensive end beats the left tackle around the corner, he sprints towards Carr. *Crashing sounds* . *Carr rolls over dazed. The Shermanator bends over and extends his hand,"Come with me if you want to live"

sweet ..... thanks for the laugh

bigTEXan8
02-10-2006, 12:51 PM
Here's my favorite part:

Texans |

Texans | Team exercises Carr's option; move not expected to impact NFL Draft selection
Thu, 9 Feb 2006 19:09:20 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans exercised the $8 million option that extends QB David Carr's contract through the 2008 season, according to a source close to the team. A formal announcement is expected Friday, Feb. 10. Carr's extension calls for the $8 million bonus and base salaries of $5.25 million this year, $5.5 million in 2007 and $6 million in 2008. The decision to extend Carr's contract has nothing to do with the top pick in the draft. The Texans still haven't decided if they'll select University of Texas QB Vince Young or Southern California RB Reggie Bush. The Texans also haven't ruled out the possibility of trading down.

Please tell me he hasn't lowered himself to handing out campaign buttons and bumper stickers outside the Chronic's HQ?

Texans86
02-11-2006, 02:29 PM
Just found this on FoxSports.com. According to Kubiak, Monday is the latest we will know about Sherman.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5322348

I can wait.

uhcougar08
02-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Here's my favorite part:

Please tell me he hasn't lowered himself to handing out campaign buttons and bumper stickers outside the Chronic's HQ?

Richard Justice and John McClain are the worst bandwagon riding reporters I have ever seen. No matter what goes on, they will make something up about VY and say because nothing negative has happened, then there is always a chance he comes here.

Sportsfan
02-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Well here we are, 3:53 pm Monday.... whats the scoop?

Coach C.
02-13-2006, 04:07 PM
they said sometime this week we would hear something from sherman so dont go holding your breath right now

pskinny
02-13-2006, 04:14 PM
they said sometime this week we would hear something from sherman so dont go holding your breath right now

Actually, they said we would know sometime last week. Last week came and went, so they said we'd know by Monday. Doesn't look like that's gonna happen either.

Porky
02-13-2006, 05:23 PM
The hot rumor was he would actually start work today. Kubes himself said he would let the media know Monday. Here it is Monday, and nothing.

TEXANRED
02-13-2006, 05:37 PM
I dont know about the rest of you, but if he is being wishy washy and grumbling over whether or not to coach, I would perfer him to stay home. We need people who are excited and enthusiastic about being here. Not someone who is ho-huming.

My :twocents:

Lucky
02-13-2006, 05:38 PM
I dont know about the rest of you, but if he is being wishy washy and grumbling over whether or not to coach, I would perfer him to stay home. We need people who are excited and enthusiastic about being here. Not someone who is ho-huming.
It's just as likely that he wants to coach, but his wife & kids don't want to move. You know how that works.

Dunta_23
02-13-2006, 05:45 PM
The hot rumor was he would actually start work today. Kubes himself said he would let the media know Monday. Here it is Monday, and nothing.

We need a new coach...Kubiak is a liar :sarcasm:

nunusguy
02-13-2006, 06:09 PM
It's just as likely that he wants to coach, but his wife & kids don't want to move. You know how that works.
And you know he's probably only gonna be here for 1 year, so its quite a
hassle to uproot for 12 months, then move again, especially if he has younger, grade or HS age kids. And he probably doesn't want to live away from his family and fly back and forth several times a month, though many of us have to live that way at times.
I dunno....he may have to tough it out on the golf course, fly fishing in the Rockies, tours of Europe & Asia for a year or so until another round of HC jobs open up this time next year.

uhcougar08
02-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Relax, you freaks........just let the man decide. If he wants to come here, then he will. If he does not want to coach, then he will not. Yall guys are so damn inpatient. Just relax, he will decide when he decides. I say give him all off-season if that helps his decision.

GoBlue
02-13-2006, 10:42 PM
Bob Slovak just reported that the entire coaching staff would be introduced this week and Mike Sherman WOULD be part of the staff. I'm looking for further confirmation

texanfan2002114
02-13-2006, 11:27 PM
Bob Slovak just reported that the entire coaching staff would be introduced this week and Mike Sherman WOULD be part of the staff. I'm looking for further confirmation

Mark Berman on Fox 26 said the same thing and also said that he was in the Texans offices today but could not confirm if Sherman had signed his contract yet, but will be introduced wilth the coaching staff on Wed.

Ibar_Harry
02-14-2006, 01:21 AM
The one thing I thought McNair needed to do was go out and get a coaching staff to match the talent this ball club has. It looks like he has and I think Texans can look forward to a prosperous year. My question is when are Carr and Kubiack moving their coaches into Reliant so they can start working together? Both have been proponents of that option.

I have listened to the interviews of Kubiack and about Kubiack and I must admit that I come off very impressed at this point in time. He certainly sounds like he has the personality that I would like to see in a head coach for the Texans. He seems to posses the offensive knowledge we need and he seems to be no slouch with respect to the defense. He has aquired a good mix of experience and youth for coaches and I look forward seeing how they mold this ball club.

The pressures on Kubiack are going to be tremendous, but I think he has the presonality that can handle it. His biggest challenge is not going to be offense, but rather defense. As many have posted the defense is really the over the hill gang in many important spots. I like the fact that he has retained Marciano and I liked Marciano's interview at the Pro Bowl. I do believe Mathis is a special player.

I will continue to say this ball club has a lot of raw talent that has never seen the light of day. The previous coaching staff destroyed all resemblances of talent any of the players had. People chasitze Carr for not being a leader, but the same could be said for the defense. Yes, DROB is a force, but he was not Glenn or Sharper. Last years coaching staff saw to it that this was a leaderless ball club and you saw the results. They wanted no one challenging their decisions. I think Carr will show more maturity than you think under the tuitoring of Kubiack. He will become a decision maker on the field. We saw one game last year where that was the case. Rather I should say one quarter and he showed us a hidden talent which was immediately squashed. I truely believe the Texans have fixed a lot of their problems and many of those were centered around the coaching department. Folks, sit back and relax, and watch what happens with next years ball club. I truely believe you are going to be astounded in the differences. It will take a while to be a contender, but you are going to see a big difference right out of the shute.

swtbound07
02-14-2006, 01:50 AM
The one thing I thought McNair needed to do was go out and get a coaching staff to match the talent this ball club has. It looks like he has and I think Texans can look forward to a prosperous year. My question is when are Carr and Kubiack moving their coaches into Reliant so they can start working together? Both have been proponents of that option.

I have listened to the interviews of Kubiack and about Kubiack and I must admit that I come off very impressed at this point in time. He certainly sounds like he has the personality that I would like to see in a head coach for the Texans. He seems to posses the offensive knowledge we need and he seems to be no slouch with respect to the defense. He has aquired a good mix of experience and youth for coaches and I look forward seeing how they mold this ball club.

The pressures on Kubiack are going to be tremendous, but I think he has the presonality that can handle it. His biggest challenge is not going to be offense, but rather defense. As many have posted the defense is really the over the hill gang in many important spots. I like the fact that he has retained Marciano and I liked Marciano's interview at the Pro Bowl. I do believe Mathis is a special player.

I will continue to say this ball club has a lot of raw talent that has never seen the light of day. The previous coaching staff destroyed all resemblances of talent any of the players had. People chasitze Carr for not being a leader, but the same could be said for the defense. Yes, DROB is a force, but he was not Glenn or Sharper. Last years coaching staff saw to it that this was a leaderless ball club and you saw the results. They wanted no one challenging their decisions. I think Carr will show more maturity than you think under the tuitoring of Kubiack. He will become a decision maker on the field. We saw one game last year where that was the case. Rather I should say one quarter and he showed us a hidden talent which was immediately squashed. I truely believe the Texans have fixed a lot of their problems and many of those were centered around the coaching department. Folks, sit back and relax, and watch what happens with next years ball club. I truely believe you are going to be astounded in the differences. It will take a while to be a contender, but you are going to see a big difference right out of the shute.

wow..i must be more tired than i thought...i could have sworn i read optimism out of ibar...:pigfly:

whiskeyrbl
02-14-2006, 02:23 AM
So if this is true do we take an OL outright with the first pick in the 1st rd or trade our #1 and go down to #4-5 and get more picks?

ccdude730
02-14-2006, 02:54 AM

The Texans welcomed former Green Bay Packers head coach Mike Sherman into their offices on Monday. They plan to welcome him officially onto the staff as soon as today.

Sherman, 51, arrived in the late afternoon and immediately met with new Texans coach Gary Kubiak. Much of the night was spent negotiating a deal with Sherman. As soon as a contract is done, Sherman will be named the Texans' assistant head coach/offense. He will oversee the offensive line with line coach John Benton.Link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3657439.html)

and theres the further confirmation. done deal

LikeABoss
02-14-2006, 06:33 AM
Solid addition...

U4ikrob
02-14-2006, 07:40 AM
WOOHOO!! WE got the "Sherminator"!! :yahoo:

Great addition to the staff! The signing gives me a great feeling about next season again to be honest and I look forward to seeing the "Texans" again in Training camp next year. :redtowel:

Big B Texan Fan
02-14-2006, 07:57 AM
Solid adition but I won't hold my breath. The guy just got fired less than 2 months ago. He's also taking a position 2 teirs below his previous position as well as not being able to make up his mind if he wanted to be here or not.

Question? Was Sherman at A&M when McKinney was there?

Paragon Blue
02-14-2006, 08:02 AM
Solid adition but I won't hold my breath. The guy just got fired less than 2 months ago. He's also taking a position 2 teirs below his previous position as well as not being able to make up his mind if he wanted to be here or not.

Look at his record!! His team was riddled with injuries this past season. I think this is a great addition!!!

TexansCM
02-14-2006, 08:44 AM
Sherman got screwed up in Green Bay. He lost 2 lineman in the offseason, Javon Walker for the year, #2 WR Ferguson for 8 weeks, by the end of the year their Practice Squad RB was starting. Their loss is our gain.

powerfuldragon
02-14-2006, 09:17 AM
finally. worth the wait, though.

TexanBacker93
02-14-2006, 09:40 AM

I believe he was there for a year in the mid 90s. Maybe 95-96. I guess he would have encountered McKinney. I wonder what that will do for McKinney.

Out of all the fired coaches, he was the only one I would have liked to see. Even if it's for one year it will be an improvement over what the team had.

infantrycak
02-14-2006, 09:52 AM
I believe he was there for a year in the mid 90s. Maybe 95-96. I guess he would have encountered McKinney. I wonder what that will do for McKinney.

Sherman:

He then spent five years as offensive line coach at Texas A&M (1989-93) before moving to UCLA in the same role for one year. He returned to A&M as offensive line coach in 1995 and was named offensive coordinator for the Aggies following the 1996 season.

McKinney was starting left guard '95-'97.

Probably more relevant is Gary Kubiak's 1st coaching job was RB's coach at A&M '92-'93.

TexanBacker93
02-14-2006, 09:56 AM
Sherman:

McKinney was starting left guard '95-'97.

Probably more relevant is Gary Kubiak's 1st coaching job was RB's coach at A&M '92-'93.

Thanks for providing the real numbers. It looks like they spent 2 seasons together. Maybe Sherman can convince McKinney that he wants to restructure into a cap friendly contract.

LORK 88
02-14-2006, 11:18 AM
http://www.nflfans.com/draft/article...60214061801766

AP reports the Texans welcomed former Green Bay Packers HC Mike Sherman into their offices on Monday. They plan to welcome him officially onto the staff as soon as today. Sherman, 51, arrived in the late afternoon and immediately met with new Texans HC Gary Kubiak. Much of the night was spent negotiating a deal with Sherman. As soon as a contract is done, Sherman will be named the Texans' assistant head coach/offense. He will oversee the offensive line with line coach John Benton. The Texans are withholding an announcement until the contract has been signed. Sherman was unavailable for comment. Sherman is expected to be introduced, along with Kubiak's entire coaching staff, during a press conference Wednesday.

Double Barrel
02-14-2006, 11:23 AM
Sweet! :yahoo:

The experience and insight a coach like Sherman brings to the franchise is invaluable. I'd expect to see a 180 degree turnaround in our pass protection with him taking over offensive line duties.

Texan Asylum
02-14-2006, 12:36 PM
Agreed DB. Hey NFL...do you smell what the Texans are cooking!!!Just like John Force being written off as old last year and he goes a sets another Funny Car speed record...hince the new avatar. The Texans will set a new record in single season turn arounds in '06. Houston Texans Football...showing in the Win column at a stadium nearest YOU.

:fans: :texflag: :gotexans1 texanpride

Kaiser Toro
02-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Today is a good day. The Texans finally got a coach on their staff that has actually been a head coach at the collegiate/professional level.

aj.
02-14-2006, 12:48 PM
It will be interesting to watch the pecking order unfold with Benton, Calhoun and Sherman -- or should I say, between Calhoun and Sherman.

El Tejano
02-14-2006, 01:09 PM
Do you think this hiring shows that Kubiak is not and will not be objective to other opinions from his coaching staff?

Big78
02-14-2006, 01:25 PM
is Casserly still the GM? i just never heardanything in all the humbub of the house cleaning. :confused:

Bullpen Drew
02-14-2006, 01:26 PM
Our team is playoff bound for sure! I will try not to get ahead of myself!

powerfuldragon
02-14-2006, 01:36 PM
is Casserly still the GM? i just never heardanything in all the humbub of the house cleaning. :confused:
as far as i know, yes.

Reeves for GM

Porky
02-14-2006, 01:47 PM
The first really good news since Kubiak was hired. Finally some experience and really good experience at that, on the coaching staff. I expect to see dramtic improvement with the oline next year due to better players, better scheme, and better overall coaching. I am still worried about the D, but between Kubes and Sherman, the offense is now in good hands!

ledzeppelin229
02-14-2006, 01:55 PM
The first really good news since Kubiak was hired. Finally some experience and really good experience at that, on the coaching staff. I expect to see dramtic improvement with the oline next year due to better players, better scheme, and better overall coaching. I am still worried about the D, but between Kubes and Sherman, the offense is now in good hands!

Atleast if we lose all our games again, it should be more exciting to watch. The only thing worse than going 2-14 is going 2-14 in a really lame and boring way.

Texas
02-14-2006, 02:25 PM
Thank god...Now maybe we will see what our offense can really do and with the most likely addition of our first rd. draft pick being a Offensive player we will be able to show the league why our offense can rightfully be named one of the top offenses in the league. That is if our offensive line learns to hold up.

bigTEXan8
02-14-2006, 02:31 PM
Oh I love it. This is a blessed day. Thank you. I really hope that the experience put together pushes this team to the next level. :yahoo:

Texans Pride
02-14-2006, 10:56 PM
Chronicle reports Sherman is ours:

The Texans welcomed former Green Bay Packers head coach Mike Sherman into their offices on Monday afternoon. Late that evening, they welcomed him onto their staff with a three-year contract.
Sherman, 51, arrived at Reliant Stadium and immediately met with new Texans coach Gary Kubiak. Much of the night was then spent negotiating Sherman's deal, which made him the Texans' assistant head coach/offense. One of his main duties will be overseeing the coaching of the offensive line with line coach John Benton.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3657439.html

whiskeyrbl
02-14-2006, 10:58 PM
Anyone what time the Texans are to announce their complete staff tomorrow?

TexanBacker93
02-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Glad that's finally over. It will be good to have him aboard.

Scooter
02-15-2006, 01:56 AM
It will be interesting to watch the pecking order unfold with Benton, Calhoun and Sherman -- or should I say, between Calhoun and Sherman.

assistant head coach, sherman trumps everyone but kubiak. i think mcnair is taking snyder's approach and building his coaching staff is priority one. i'm in firm opinion that this will be a trend. coaching salaries will jump and teams will go to any means to stack their office ... and IMO it's about damn time. belichick, sherman, shannahan, holmgren, cowher ... look at the rotating rosters, and look at the stability and winning percentage of top tier coaching. look at denver, trusting coaching of free agents and middle round picks to build a perennial winner. look at pitt & new england, drafting ugly and towards coaching style knowing they could be greats with the proper teachings. the only constant in these top tier teams is coaching, and always has been. i'm more than willing to give kubiak atleast 2 winless seasons, because of where we currently stand, and where i think (and mcnair apparently thinks) kubiak can take us.

i love the signing, but the only worry i have is that we've got more cheifs than indians on the offensive side (kubiak, sherman, casserly, reeves, mcnair), and the exact opposite on the defensive side with extremely little experience. i dont like being pessimistic on such a positive aspect, but i've seen the outcome of that scenario entirely too often. kubiak NEEDS to be the one & only final decision on all matters ... if he's not, i can guarantee that things will get very ugly very fast in the office (my guarantee is that if we get funky with conflict of interest, we turn into the raiders for a few years).

what excites me most about signing sherman though, is that between him & reeves we're in better position to set up kubiak for the long term. i dont think it's out of line to say that most folks in this area would love nothing more than to see kubiak around for the long haul (10+ years) and given a legitimate chance to build a franchise instead a one year team. i think that's what reeves & sherman are going to do. building kubiak should be their priority, building the texans should be kubiak's.

aj.
02-15-2006, 06:12 AM
assistant head coach, sherman trumps everyone but kubiak.

I guess that's my point. Usually the coordinators are clear #2's but considering Sherman's tenure as a head coach and Calhoun's lack of tenure as a coordinator, that would seem to favor Sherman in the 'sage' role.

I've read that Baltimore had a bit of an issue with too many cooks in the kitchen with Billick, Fassel, and Neuheisel all trying to impose their will at times so that's one thing to watch.

I think Calhoun clearly understands who's the boss and that it's Gary's offense that he's being asked to implement. But you never know how an agressive young man with his sights set on having a certain level of freedom and flexibility in making certain decisions will react when a more senior person is brought into the mix. This is what will be new to Gary. Managing a staff and everything that comes with it.

TEXANRED
02-15-2006, 07:50 AM
Our team is playoff bound for sure! I will try not to get ahead of myself!
I said that and got laft at.:redtowel:

powerfuldragon
02-15-2006, 08:03 AM
I said that and got laft at.:redtowel:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHA

TexanBacker93
02-15-2006, 08:25 AM
I think when we should also consider Sherman has good experience as the GM for the Packers as well. I believe he served in that capacity for 3 years. It could have been 4. He brought in guys like Nick Barnett and Javon Walker. We could use some assistance getting the most talent out of the draft.

TexanExile
02-15-2006, 09:52 AM
Look, I'm just glad the Sherman's here for the sake of this message board. After all, come week 2 this season, folks will have an easier time formulating their "FIRE KUBIAK!" threads without making their heads get all hot from thinking of alternatives. Now, there's a contender. :tv:

Good hire--shores up a need for experience. I think the guy was a victim of circumstances in GB, and I think they'll be regretting that firing very soon. Their loss, our gain.

cap1
02-15-2006, 09:58 AM
[QUOTE=TexanExile]Look, I'm just glad the Sherman's here for the sake of this message board. After all, come week 2 this season, folks will have an easier time formulating their "FIRE KUBIAK!" threads without making their heads get all hot from thinking of alternatives. Now, there's a contender. :tv:

QUOTE]

You think we will get out of Training Camp without the first Fire Kubiak Thread. :sarcasm:

Runner
02-15-2006, 10:44 AM
Look, I'm just glad the Sherman's here for the sake of this message board. After all, come week 2 this season, folks will have an easier time formulating their "FIRE KUBIAK!" threads without making their heads get all hot from thinking of alternatives. Now, there's a contender. :tv:

QUOTE]

You think we will get out of Training Camp without the first Fire Kubiak Thread. :sarcasm:

Too late. I think we already had one when he hired Shanahan's son.

Coach C.
02-15-2006, 11:22 AM
HOPE everyone will be ready for the press conference to introduce the staff at noon today.

whiskeyrbl
02-15-2006, 12:33 PM
Anyone know what the holdup on the announcing of the coaches is?

Coach C.
02-15-2006, 01:13 PM
the press conference is over now.

Samer
02-15-2006, 01:47 PM
IM glad to hear that he is now with us, and part of the team

mancunian
02-15-2006, 04:00 PM

hey I dont a few shoot outs - it be a lot more interesting in the lets keep things close approach adopted by Capers

mancunian
02-15-2006, 04:03 PM
[quote=Scooter]i love the signing, but the only worry i have is that we've got more cheifs than indians on the offensive side (kubiak, sherman, casserly, reeves, mcnair), and the exact opposite on the defensive side with extremely little experience.

Richard Smith has been involved as a Defensive coach for 18 years and has a reputation for being a little fiery.

ledzeppelin229
02-15-2006, 04:18 PM
Doesn't Casserly automatically count as a negative on the offensive side? That should help even it out a little bit.

FirstTexansFan
02-15-2006, 08:33 PM
You think we will get out of Training Camp without the first Fire Kubiak Thread.

I actually made that thread 15 mins after Kubiaks hiring <in jest of course> only to have it removed <grin> So, make sure I get recogniztion as the FIRST to say it! :)

Marcus
02-15-2006, 09:59 PM
I actually made that thread 15 mins after Kubiaks hiring <in jest of course> only to have it removed <grin> So, make sure I get recogniztion as the FIRST to say it! :)

Quit stealing my glory there, bozo!:) I created one even before he was hired, just as a 'rub your nose in it" deal for all the dirtbags who'll jump on the bandwagon when Kubiak takes Bush in the draft.

HoustonFan
02-15-2006, 11:05 PM
Aaaaah people w/ their fire the coaching threads. Boo on them. I think Kubiak has put a good coaching staff together. I didn't know Mike Sherman was a GM - message to McNair in the distant future. I think GB shafted the guy. I wish Capers could have taken this team to the playoffs even once. Sherman took them 5 out of the last 6 years. Ah well. he's here now. The coaching staff is complete. Can't wait to see how they do on draft day. Can't wait for training camp, preseason. And dang sure can't wait for the Texans. They may do better than expected - whatever that is to every individual fan on this board.

GO TEXANS!!!! Beat the Cowboys again next season!!! Have a winning season!!!

Runner
02-15-2006, 11:08 PM
I didn't know Mike Sherman was a GM - message to McNair in the distant future.

McNair is definitely building in options he can turn to on the fly if needed with this restructuring.

Doom Capers
02-16-2006, 12:22 AM
I think Sherman is going to do us well.

texan_fan
02-16-2006, 12:30 AM
WOOHOO!!!! It's a great day to be a Texans fan!!!

Is it AUGUST yet?!?!?!?!

Big B Texan Fan
02-16-2006, 12:46 AM

Good hire--shores up a need for experience. I think the guy was a victim of circumstances in GB, and I think they'll be regretting that firing very soon. Their loss, our gain.
You forgot the rest of Sharpe's quote on you're sig.

FirstTexansFan
02-16-2006, 01:17 AM
Quit stealing my glory there, bozo!:) I created one even before he was hired, just as a 'rub your nose in it" deal for all the dirtbags who'll jump on the bandwagon when Kubiak takes Bush in the draft.

Yours get removed too? Dang, we bring humor and we're treated like second class citizens! hehe

TexanExile
02-16-2006, 08:01 PM
You forgot the rest of Sharpe's quote on you're sig.

Actually I didn't. It wouldn't fit (over 80 characters) so I had to cut it short. idonno: The whole thing's funnier together, but the TV dinner line was good on its own.