PDA

View Full Version : Madden vs ESPN

El Tejano
05-04-2004, 08:46 AM
I suggest alot of Madden on PlayStation 2!!! That is the only thing that works for me.

V Man
05-04-2004, 08:52 AM
I suggest alot of Madden on PlayStation 2!!! That is the only thing that works for me.

That always helps.

I guess I'm a lucky one, I really enjoy Basketball also. The NBA playoffs last until June, so I only have a week or 2 until training camp starts. :shower:

dmt217
05-04-2004, 12:14 PM
Madden (beating my brother & his '85 Bears never gets old) or NCAA always works. There's also the NBA playoffs & a few good fights coming up.

Reddevil63
05-04-2004, 12:32 PM
That worked until that go old and now Im waiting for August for the new Madden :wiggle:

blockhead83
05-04-2004, 01:13 PM
I've been reading all the football forums and checking out the sneak peeks for madden and espn 2k5. ESPN's gonna give madden a run for my money this year ;).

SBTexans08
05-04-2004, 01:40 PM
That's right...I read an article on ESPN and it sounds totally revamped. I'll be renting both and purchasing the better game. Here, I'll link the article for you to read. It sounds promising. I think Madden will feature some great stuff as well but ESPN doesn't sound bad at all as of now.

ESPN 2005 (http://sports.ign.com/articles/510/510528p1.html?fromint=1)

blockhead83
05-04-2004, 02:51 PM
ESPN is claiming it will include online leagues complete with trades and the like. The thought of playing virtual GM with live competition really brings out the football gaming nerd in me.

SBTexans08
05-04-2004, 02:56 PM
I've been a Madden gamer until now but if ESPN is the better football title I think I'll be jumping on the Xbox Live bandwagon. There's been talk about EA titles being playable on Xbox Live as well though, of course they are rumors though...nothing officially confirmed.

CaptainPatriot
05-04-2004, 05:51 PM
couldn`t of said it "BETTER" :jumpbanan

Blake
05-04-2004, 05:57 PM
I am a diehard NFL2K (ESPN) fan. The only part of madden that is better, are things like franchise mode, and extras. But pure game vs. game, Hands down, ESPN is better.

And XBOX LIVE rules.
GamerTag: Mazzer

dmt217
05-05-2004, 08:40 AM
The momentum based physics is better in Madden. Plus, you can't run the same running play over and expect to march down the field w/o any problems (the # of BTKs is unrealistic in ESPN). The controls (imo) feels like butter compared to ESPN (a player's speed rating should be determined by their rating, not how fast you can tap the turbo button->yes, I'm a good button masher).

IMO...

Extras, franchise mode = Madden
Presentation = ESPN
Sound = ESPN
Graphics = ESPN
Animations = ESPN - gang tackles, Oline/Dline battles, etc. looks more realistic (except for the sprinting animation)
Gameplay = Madden - playbooks, controls, AI, ball physics, momentum based physics > ESPN

SBTexans08
05-05-2004, 09:11 AM
The momentum based physics is better in Madden. Plus, you can't run the same running play over and expect to march down the field w/o any problems (the # of BTKs is unrealistic in ESPN). The controls (imo) feels like butter compared to ESPN (a player's speed rating should be determined by their rating, not how fast you can tap the turbo button->yes, I'm a good button masher).

IMO...

Extras, franchise mode = Madden
Presentation = ESPN
Sound = ESPN
Graphics = ESPN
Animations = ESPN - gang tackles, Oline/Dline battles, etc. looks more realistic (except for the sprinting animation)
Gameplay = Madden - playbooks, controls, AI, ball physics, momentum based physics > ESPN

You broke it down really well there...

I'll be going Live once the new installments of ESPN and Madden come out. I've liked Madden's gameplay so far so I've gone with that. ESPN's graphics look awesome and if ESPN leaves Madden in the dust (which by that article, it looks like it will) gameplay wise, I'll be switching over and going Live to take some of you guys on. :wiggle:

SBTexans08
05-05-2004, 09:48 AM
I'll give you my user name when you get your system. I will only play you on the second highest setting however (for the reasons I stated above). I usually only play on the weekends though. Bring your A-game. ;)
I'll take you up on that offer. I've got my Xbox, just haven't gone Live since my football game of choice, Madden, hasn't gone Live, I hadn't seen the need to. But depending on this year's titles, I just might. You bet though, I'll hollar at you if and when I do.

dmt217
05-05-2004, 10:00 AM
It sure does rock, but the running game can still be abused on the Legend difficulty. Heck, even All-Madden has its fair share of problems, but I think it takes the cake for better controls and gameplay.

Oh well, to each his own. Let me know if y'all want to play Madden, NCAA or ESPN NBA Basketball online (PS2).

SBTexans08
05-05-2004, 10:01 AM
People who complain about ESPN's game usually have only played it in the patty-cake settings and don't crank the game up to its higher levels. I would rather spend an hour playing ESPN than Madden. If EASports ever brings their franchise to xbox Live I will probably still play ESPN more. I just enjoy that game more. I also like the ability to talk to my friends when on xbox Live.

I hear you on that....voice chat is awesome! I don't complain about ESPN, I rented both and just felt like Madden was more intact in terms of gameplay. The thing about ESPN that discouraged the intent to buy was the running game. But now that you mention cranking up the level evens the odds out, I'm anxious to see just how that is. I loved everything about ESPN....it was just the running game that made me lose interest. The presentation aspect is just beautiful....looks like it'll be better this year.

Blake
05-05-2004, 10:02 AM
Right on. ESPN on XBOX LIVE is the only thing keeping me from going insane.

Blake
05-05-2004, 10:56 AM
[QUOTE=dmt217]The controls (imo) feels like butter compared to ESPN (a player's speed rating should be determined by their rating, not how fast you can tap the turbo button->yes, I'm a good button masher).

A players speed is determine by their speed rating. But you have to press the button fast to get their top speed ability.

The only way a slower player catches up to a faster player is if your player is tired, because he has been running for along time, or has broken a few tackles, and doesnt have as much endurace than the player chaseing you.

dmt217
05-05-2004, 11:22 AM
But you have to press the button fast to get their top speed ability.
The only way a slower player catches up to a faster player is if your player is tired, because he has been running for along time, or has broken a few tackles, and doesnt have as much endurace than the player chaseing you.

Or, when you press the speed button 3 times per second (compare that to 15 times per second for the same player w/ the same spd & acc). Either way, you still have to mash the button to sprint downfield.

Anyway, I still prefer Madden's "hold the sprint button to speed up" configuration.

wiley2002
05-05-2004, 12:31 PM
I like both versions. Madden because of the in depth gameplay and I like ESPN because the crowd gets into big plays. But as far as adrenaline play I have to say I like NFL Street.

BigBang
05-05-2004, 07:00 PM
I've seen screen shots of both already. I'm going to probably end up doing like most of you and renting both to see which one I like better. So far I've like Madden on XBox for football and ESPN for basketball. A lot of times what it boils down to is presentation and graphics.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
05-05-2004, 07:16 PM
i think ill just buy both. LOL

BigBang
05-05-2004, 07:18 PM
i think ill just buy both. LOL
Or that could work, too.

BigTex
05-05-2004, 08:01 PM
I have alwayz been a Madden Fan. I go rent all Football games that come out and compare them to find the one I like the most, and turns out that MAdden is always the winner. Some of you say ESPN has better graphics,you have to be kidding me I think ESPN's graphics are HORRIBLE. Madden hands down has been the best NFL Football game 4 many years and is probably going to continue that way. Does anyone have a article to the new features and such For MADDEN 2005?!?!?!?!?

BigBang
05-05-2004, 08:05 PM
go to IGN.com (http://sports.ign.com/articles/507/507610p1.html?fromint=1)

that should help you out

texan279
05-05-2004, 10:02 PM
I have never played ESPN football before, does it have the same type of settings like Madden like the salary cap, and where you can own the team for 25 years, and where players retire then come back as coaches and negotiate player salaries? Just curious.

dmt217
05-11-2004, 10:01 AM
/\ Yes (Except for players becoming coaches...Don't quote me on that)

It's official...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/10/news_6096976.html

Electronic Arts getting onboard Xbox Live

By the end of the year, owners of Microsoft's console will be able to enjoy EA's massive collection of online titles.
This evening at in Los Angeles, two of the biggest names in games--Microsoft and Electronic Arts--announced a new partnership that will fundamentally alter online console gaming.

After an extended period of negotiation, EA has agreed to bring almost its entire catalog of major online titles to Xbox Live.

The news came against the backdrop of a star-studded gala Shrine Auditorium, attended by sports luminaries such as St. Louis Rams running back Marshall Faulk, Denver Nugget Carmelo Anthony, and the Greatest himself, Muhammad Ali.

EA has always been a great publisher for Xbox, Microsoft Chief Xbox Officer Robbie Bach told the crowd. Were strengthening our alliance by bringing EAs world-class games to Xbox Live. Chip Lange, VP of Marketing for EA Sports and Games Nation, echoed Bach's enthusiasm in a private interview with GameSpot. "We are supporting this system aggressively, putting our full might behind it," he said.

Lange also outlined EA's rapid timetable for bringing of the Xbox Live format. In July, NCAA Football 2005 will be playable on Xbox Live, with the 800-pound gorilla of online sports games, Madden NFL 2005, joining the service in August. NBA Live 2005, FIFA Soccer 2005, NHL 2005, NASCAR 2005: Chase for the Cup, and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 will follow soon thereafter.

By the end of the year, 15 of EA's online-enabled console titles will be playable on Xbox Live, and the selection will extend beyond EA's sports franchises. Burnout 3 and TimeSplitters Future Perfect will also be Xbox Live-compatible, as will two even bigger franchises, Need for Speed Underground 2 and a new, previously unannounced Xbox version of Battlefield: Modern Combat.

Speaking to GameSpot, Xbox Live General Manger Cameron Ferroni also revealed that EA's upcoming James-Bond-inspired action game GoldenEye: Rogue Agent will also have Xbox Live functionality. "This is a landmark in online gaming," he said, "It's good for gamers."

Of course, one question will still be on many gamers' minds--"What took you guys so long?" When asked that question, Ferroni gave a honest answer. "[Microsoft and EA] were entering uncharted territory, we were two companies that were conservatively approaching the [online] space." Lange concurred, saying there never was a problem between the two companies. "EA has always been a platform-agnostic company," he told GameSpot, "[and] this marks a turning point for gaming."

SBTexans08
05-12-2004, 04:20 PM
Yup, took me a while to see what Xbox had to offer but now I'm convinced it's definitely a great buy!

rittenhouserobz
05-13-2004, 01:19 AM
I have been playing MVP baseball from EA. I think it is great. The Astros are a solid team in the game.

Blake
05-13-2004, 10:42 AM
Some of you say ESPN has better graphics,you have to be kidding me I think ESPN's graphics are HORRIBLE. Madden hands down has been the best NFL Football game 4 many years and is probably going to continue that way.

Youve got to be kidding.

Here is a comparison on IGN.com

Madden '04
8.5 Graphics
From the player tats on their arms to the dreads on their heads, the detail is amazing. If only the animations could blend as well as Sega's ESPN.

ESPN NFL '04
9.3 Graphics
This game boasts some slick animations and great player models. The ESPN design elements help cement a distinct look.

The only reason Madden is rated better, as an all around game, is due to the extra game stuff. They both have it, but madden has more.

Frailty
05-17-2004, 07:35 PM
Madden 2005 Ncaa football 2005 NBA 2005 and several other EA sports games will be available for XBOX LIVE!!!!
Microsoft recently signed a contract with ea sports EASPORTS.COM reports that many new games will be added to xbox live, and an additionaly EA sports messenger will be available. This is huge for the gaming industry....

TexanNut
05-17-2004, 07:57 PM
Madden 2005 Ncaa football 2005 NBA 2005 and several other EA sports games will be available for XBOX LIVE!!!!
Microsoft recently signed a contract with ea sports EASPORTS.COM reports that many new games will be added to xbox live, and an additionaly EA sports messenger will be available. This is huge for the gaming industry....

That's huge news in the gaming industry....old news here as there have been several threads this week on it. This is the next step in MS console domination. :evilb: :pepper: :carrot:

HowBoutThemCowboys!
07-05-2004, 11:34 PM
I prefer Madden

mancunian
07-06-2004, 07:00 AM
Hi

I've got both - and play Madden more. I prefer the presentation in the roster menus etc.

One problem with Madden is I'm great on offence - ranked 1st but my d seems to get shredded all the time. (I'm currently playing on the ALL PRO level).
www.maddenwishlist.com is a great forum for ideas and psoting suggestions

dmt217
07-06-2004, 09:35 AM
Hi

I've got both - and play Madden more. I prefer the presentation in the roster menus etc.

One problem with Madden is I'm great on offence - ranked 1st but my d seems to get shredded all the time. (I'm currently playing on the ALL PRO level).
www.maddenwishlist.com is a great forum for ideas and psoting suggestions

Let me guess...You're probably lighting up the CPU by +20 pts or more every game. This will kick in what EA claims as 'aggressive playcalling' (consumers have called it the dreaded comeback AI).

IMO, the CPU's AI on AP is too easy, so try playing on All-madden. That should keep the scores close. Or, you can always adjust the sliders on defense for both (CPU & Human).

Anyway, I've got a set of sliders for all-madden if you're interested...

El Tejano
07-06-2004, 09:43 AM
The MB shows that I started this thread but I never did. My post was just a reply to someone asking what to do between now and the start of the season. Funny

jags98
07-06-2004, 10:22 AM
I think im going to get both this year because Madden is always a great game and that ESPN is only $20! http://ebgames.com/ebx/product/243255.asp

mancunian
07-06-2004, 10:51 AM
Let me guess...You're probably lighting up the CPU by +20 pts or more every game. This will kick in what EA claims as 'aggressive playcalling' (consumers have called it the dreaded comeback AI).

IMO, the CPU's AI on AP is too easy, so try playing on All-madden. That should keep the scores close. Or, you can always adjust the sliders on defense for both (CPU & Human).

Anyway, I've got a set of sliders for all-madden if you're interested...

best example is having a 62 - 56 game against the Titans. I play the 15 minutes with accelerated playclock. The CPU though still goes with about 10 seconds left.

I'd be grateful for the slider info

dmt217
07-06-2004, 11:18 AM
Keep in mind that this may or may not work for ya...
AM difficulty, 12 min. Acc. clock. Each team should have about 60 plays per game.

pass lead sensitivity = 3
I forgot my sub-in/sub-out settings

(human/cpu)
Offense:
QB Accuracy: 7/10
Pass Blocking: 10/10
WR Catching: 10/10
RB Ability: 12/8
Run blocking: 10/10

Defense:
Awareness: 10/20
Knockdowns: 10/10
Interceptions: 0/0
Break Block: 15 (leave it at 10 if you control your D-line)/10
Tackling: 10/13

Special Teams:
FG Length: 10/10
FG Accuracy: 10/9
Punt Length: 10/10
Punt Accuracy: 10/10
Kickoff Length: 10/10

PENALTIES

False start - MAX
Holding - 55
Face mask - 35
Offen/defen pass interference - MAX
KR/PR catch interference - MAX
Clipping - 60
Int grounding - 60
Roughing passer/kicker - MAX

El Tejano
07-06-2004, 11:27 AM
I just hope our WRs, RBs, and DBs will be faster this year. Aside from Andre, Glenn, and Coleman everyone else is like low to mid 80s. Really I would like our overall team speed to be faster. That is really the only thing that I didn't like about the game. Other than that Madden is my overall favorite.

texasguy346
07-06-2004, 12:20 PM
I am definately getting both games, but Madden is by far my favorite. It's something about the combination of features and realism that make it the premeire football game. However, I must admit that several of the upcoming features in ESPN 2005 are very interesting and seem like they should be lots of fun. They even have Mel Kiper rating rookies for the upcoming drafts. The only worry is stuffing in too many gadget type features and losing sight of the true focus of the game ... football. I think that the new features combined with the price of ESPN 2005 will result in a closer race between these two games. :twocents:

Fiddy
07-06-2004, 12:51 PM
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/screen_e3/920148_20040507_screen001.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/screen_e3/920148_20040507_screen004.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/screen_e3/920148_20040507_screen006.jpg

I preorder Madden for PC a couple of days ago and it cant come soon enough

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sports/maddennfl2005/screenindex.html

dmt217
07-06-2004, 03:02 PM
However, I must admit that several of the upcoming features in ESPN 2005 are very interesting and seem like they should be lots of fun. They even have Mel Kiper rating rookies for the upcoming drafts. The only worry is stuffing in too many gadget type features and losing sight of the true focus of the game ... football. I think that the new features combined with the price of ESPN 2005 will result in a closer race between these two games. :twocents:

From a simulation standpoint, ESPN is already solid (animations, honoring the 3-5 step dropback->which Tiburon addressed this year....hopefully, long bombs aren't too effective, etc.). They just need to work on a few issues like the camera (it's too close), controls, and RB BTKs.

One gameplay feature that I really like are the Right Stick jukes for runners.
Check out "Right Stick Jukes with Mr. Tomlinson"

http://www.espnvideogames.com/news/movieArchive.php?gid=7

It's much better than controlling blockers w/ the Playmaker controls imo...

GunnerAU
07-06-2004, 09:11 PM
Well, I prefer MADDEN simply because I've yet to play ESPN, and it's rather difficult to find it over here, and I'm not to fond of ordering online.
One thing I don't like in MADDEN though is the "Comeback" AI, that's really annoying, I've lost several games to a Field goal or touchdown, when I've scored a TD to go into the lead and left them with 3 seconds remaining, they still manage to get a TD or FG and win...
Also, the running game in MADDEN works really well for me for some reason, I'm always making 1st downs, often score 50yard TD runs, but my QB throws seem to get knocked down a lot when using Carr, but not with any of my others. Annoying sometimes, but I still like it. :jam:

dmt217
07-06-2004, 09:20 PM
Here's a little something for the graphic whores who claim ____ graphics are better than ____. Which screenshot belongs to ___ game? Can you take a guess?

http://www.maddenwishlist.com/editorials/screentest/

GunnerAU
07-06-2004, 09:34 PM
I agree that ESPN does look better, but for me there isn't all that much difference in set two, three, but it is noticable in set one and five.
Still, since I can't buy ESPN over here, I'm sticking with MADDEN.

texasguy346
07-07-2004, 08:05 AM
Another cool feature of ESPN is the video highlight. I think the video highlight is only available on the XBOX version of the game, but you get still photos for the PS2 version. It takes actual plays from your game and has a SportsCenter like analysis featuring Chris Berman. Not too shabby:) I like the player attitude features in Madden. Adds another level to the decision between a guy like TO or AJ.

dmt217
07-08-2004, 09:16 AM
Great news for fans of Sega's 2k series. The new shipping date is now on 7/20/2004.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/groups/ESPN2K5/

Nawzer
07-08-2004, 01:49 PM
Madden is the best football game out there today. It's not only got awesome graphics, but I find it more user friendly. For a first timer I think Madden would be the perfect game to choose. I played the others like NFL2k3, ESPN football and they all have good graphics but to me it comes down to how easy it is to understand something and then execute it on the screen.

Panther5407
07-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Madden is the best football game out there today. It's not only got awesome graphics, but I find it more user friendly. For a first timer I think Madden would be the perfect game to choose. I played the others like NFL2k3, ESPN football and they all have good graphics but to me it comes down to how easy it is to understand something and then execute it on the screen.

Just what i was thinking. I will only play Madden because I dont like to play any of the others. I have PS2 and from what i have heard Madden is the best on PS2. I just know that i'm a Madden gamer.

Str8tupg42k1
07-08-2004, 03:29 PM
I like both really, but i like the gang tackles on espn as well as when you are running you can shoulder charge at command when going through the line on 3rd and 1 unlike madden. Madden is more realistic and more complex to me then espn i just dont like that at halftime you dont get any type of coverage like the hot at the half player or player of the game. I preordered madden 05 from gamestop and im supposed to get it like a week or two before it is released. What i have trouble on is what game do i get for what system i got both xbox and ps2 and planning to get both of espn and madden i need some help. By the way i dont got xbox live yet.

Jonathan
07-08-2004, 03:35 PM
Madden 05 is gonna emphasize defense. Gone are the days where Michael Vick can out run everyone. QB's will have to get rid of the ball on short drops. I think its gonna be a much improved game from last year. I love the owner/franchise mode and if the gameplay is as improved as advertised its gonna be one helluva game. I'll be buying it, but ESPN has certainly made some improvements. If i had the money i'd probably buy both.

Fiddy
07-08-2004, 03:40 PM
Madden also made the game more realistic by making the chances of converting 4th and long less, saw that on SportsCenter last night...

dmt217
07-08-2004, 03:59 PM
EA/Tiburon took out the hurdle button this year (it's automatic) and replaced it w/ the shoulder charge.

Anyway, I'll probably get both games on the PS2 b/c I already have a network adapter (plus an X-port for NCAA rosters). I'd rather get ESPN on the Xbox though, but I don't have a Live account.

-If i had the money i'd probably buy both.
An extra $20 shouldn't break the bank. If it does, then get a Gamer's Gift Card at Best Buy and you'll get a $5 off coupon...

SBTexans08
07-08-2004, 04:42 PM
ESPN was made from the ground up on Xbox therefore it will offer things on Xbox that PS2 can't unlike Madden. Unlike ESPN, Madden will be the same on both PS2 and Xbox since the PS2 has limited capabilities compared to Xbox. Online isn't a factor either since all EA titles are going Live from now on. Definitely get ESPN on Xbox to take advantage of it's features though. ESPN is only going to be $20 so it's a win-win situation. $70 for both titles is a hell of a deal if I ever saw one...

Jonathan
07-08-2004, 05:23 PM
wow, i missed that. ESPN is only gonna be 20 bucks??? is that some sort of special or will it remain at that price. If its only that much i'll end up buying both. I thought i was looking at another 49.99 game

texasguy346
07-08-2004, 08:52 PM
Well the 20 dollar price is a promotion. It's meant to make Madden game lovers take a peek at what ESPN has to offer. I'm not sure if the price is around only for Pre-Orders, or if it extends to after its release. Either way grab it up while you can.

SBTexans08
07-09-2004, 10:09 AM
$20 will be the price....you can call it a promo. It's not only for pre-orders...that will be the price you'll find it for at your local game retailer.

RTP2110
07-11-2004, 08:30 PM
Not only will ESPN be the cheaper game, it will be the better game IMHO. I've actually done a TON of research on both games, and I favor ESPN. I only played Madden for the last 3 years, but this year I'm going with ESPN.

dmt217
07-12-2004, 01:03 PM
ESPN NFL fans....The new ratings are out for the top players...

http://www.operationsports.com/GameScreenshots.asp?game=espnnfl2005xbox&image=/images/football/espnnfl2005xbox/espnnfl2005xbox84.jpg

This is the direct link to the Texans' roster....Looks like Sharper gets no respect again...

http://www.operationsports.com/GameScreenshots.asp?game=espnnfl2005xbox&LastOrder=112&direction=next

dmt217
07-12-2004, 01:15 PM
Yeah, yeah it's not gamespot, ign, gamestop, or eb.....but Circuit City has Madden's release date on 7/28/04.

http://www.circuitcity.com/gamedetail.jsp?c=1&b=g&u=c&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_0&oid=94076&catoid=-9264&m=0

Texas Torture
07-12-2004, 04:03 PM
the best description that heard of madden is that he looks like he owns a gas station. sounds like it too.

RTP2110
07-12-2004, 07:56 PM
A few more Texan screenshots...

http://www.operationsports.com/GameScreenshots.asp?game=espnnfl2005xbox&LastOrder=215&direction=next

http://www.operationsports.com/GameScreenshots.asp?game=espnnfl2005xbox&LastOrder=206&direction=next

GunnerAU
07-13-2004, 05:08 AM
The menu interface looks good in those screens, hopefully I'll be able to get myself a copy.

SBTexans08
07-13-2004, 10:33 AM
Hopefully? It's out next week and only $20!

Panther5407
07-13-2004, 01:27 PM
Is Madden gonna have the Battle Red jerseys? I've been dying to play with those on.

Fiddy
07-13-2004, 01:29 PM
Is Madden gonna have the Battle Red jerseys? I've been dying to play with those on.Yeah, I read something a long time ago that they are going to have all the alternate jerseys for all the teams.

More importantly, I wonder if they are going to let us open the roof...

SBTexans08
07-13-2004, 01:30 PM
Good question there Panther5407...don't know. I think ESPN will though and I hope Madden has them as well.

SBTexans08
07-13-2004, 01:30 PM
Yeah, I read something a long time ago that they are going to have all the alternate jerseys for all the teams.

More importantly, I wonder if they are going to let us open the roof...

Where did you read that?

Fiddy
07-13-2004, 01:32 PM
Where did you read that?I dont remember, i'll try to look for it though...

Panther5407
07-13-2004, 01:34 PM
That be awesome to let us be able to open the roof. Football isn't the same without playing in the elements once in awhile weather it be snow, rain, cold or heat.

SBTexans08
07-13-2004, 01:38 PM
That be awesome to let us be able to open the roof. Football isn't the same without playing in the elements once in awhile weather it be snow, rain, cold or heat.

I agree 100%!! Good point.

texasguy346
07-21-2004, 03:00 PM
I just got done playing ESPN NFL 2005. The graphics and sounds are cool. The presentation is nice, but the controls are a bit odd and will take some time to get used to. Also, it has the Texans ranked fairly low, but Madden usually does too. However, you can modify the players and rank them however you see fit. It's a fun game, but I don't see this replacing Madden in my game system for me at least.

swisher
07-22-2004, 12:26 AM
Burning Questions:

Does Reliant look realistic?

Can you open/close the roof?

Can you wear the alternate red jersey?

texasguy346
07-22-2004, 12:48 AM
Yes Reliant looks realistic.

Yes the roof is open/closed depending on the weather.

Yes you can wear the battle red jerseys.

The halftime, pregame, and postgame shows are a great feature. And yes it is worth every bit of the 20bucks.

kbourda
07-22-2004, 01:51 AM
ESPN football is a must buy simply put. I'm blown away.

swisher
07-22-2004, 09:01 AM
sweet...after last year when Madden had Reliant Stadium with Field Turf instead of grass (The year whe had the Super Bowl!!) I swore I would try ESPN this year.

gwallaia
07-22-2004, 09:24 AM
Its quite a shrewd marketing move to sell the ESPN game for $20. This is to persuade the loyal Madden players to give it a shot and then get hooked on the game. Next year, the ESPN game will be $50 and everyone will still buy it.

I plan on having both games.

swisher
07-22-2004, 10:14 AM
For 30 bucks less, I can't imagine not getting ESPN, especially when it looks like its as good if not better. But I won't buy both games ... I can't justify spending another 50 dollars on a game that does the same thing as the game I already have.

dmt217
07-22-2004, 12:40 PM
I'm gonna pick this game up after work. Someone posted this on another MB about the ratings being way off. I'll just cut & paste them...

The ratings. Some of them are absolutely horrible, and I'll give you examples:

Doug Flutie's speed is a 59. Peyton Manning and Brett Favre (I think Favre) are both faster than he is in this game. I don't think so.

Kevin Johnson's speed is a 90. Sorry, but Kevin Johnson is not as fast as Laveranues Coles.

Rohan Davey's passing strength is a low 50. Give me a break. Whoever approved this rating didn't do their homework. Davey has one of the top 10 strongest arms in the league. That to me was the worst of the ratings botches.

J.J. Moses' strength is a 66, same as David Boston. He's also the strongest receiver on Houston. Come on. Who in the world is approving these ratings? Things like that may not seem like much, but they're so far off, they do look bad.

Also, I think Tim Dwight has the highest break tackle of any receiver on the Chargers. Since when has Tim Dwight broken a tackle? They need to get on the ball and fix these things.

Josh McCown's speed is an 80. Look through all of the QB's who are slower than he is and you'll see the problem. He isn't that fast.

Kevan Barlow. How in the world is his overall so low? He's lower than he was last year, which makes no sense at all. He should be one of the top 20 AT LEAST rated backs in the game, and I haven't checked if he is yet, but his rating is so low, I doubt it.

Sorry to rant, but when I saw these things, it made me think that whoever is doing these ratings has no idea what they're doing. I don't understand how those examples I listed above were even allowed to happen.

The game overall is good though. They should also fix the running. It looks goofy. Everything else is cool. tackling, INT animations, ESPN presentation.

I hope they fix this in their next roster update...BTW, does anyone have a Max Drive for the Xbox?

Jonathan
07-22-2004, 01:38 PM
The passing game in madden has always bothered me. A 20-yard QB drop back and chunk is not very realistic and when you play that is all that happens in Madden over and over. ESPN has always had a 3-5-7 step drop or you get sacked. I'm probably buying the College version of the ea/Madden game and will get ESPN for the NFL.

thats the difference with this years game. Its all about the defense. I thought this IGN article was a pretty good description of what you can expect. It's written by someone who loves the ESPN series.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/532/532060p1.html

texans
07-22-2004, 02:23 PM
some of the things wrong with the texans in this years game

1.were the third wortst team in the NFL
2.who is ron dugles and why is he on are roster
3.they still have pitts a tackel
4.carson palmer is rated higher than david
5.brian westbrook is rated 88 while davis is only rated 81 i think they should be closer if not DD better

ill come back with more after i play the game more

Fiddy
07-22-2004, 02:28 PM
2.who is ron dugles and why is he on are roster
3.they still have pitts a tackel
4.carson palmer is rated higher than davidDang. Ron Dugans was a WR we had on the roster and cut about 2 weeks ago. I think you can edit Pitts and make him a G.

How do they have Palmer rated higher than Carr?!?!?!?!?!?!

Beastlyman2003
07-22-2004, 03:11 PM
so is ESPN football 2005 out yet?

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
07-22-2004, 03:15 PM
yup, it is. just got mine today. go out and get it! its only 20 bucks.

Beastlyman2003
07-22-2004, 03:32 PM
You are all being brainwashed by ESPN. Did yall not see the graphix? They are not better than Madden2005 what-so-ever! And what is up with the ratings? Gary walker and seth payne both have 69 strength! And Jaimie Sharper is the 4th best LB in the league but in the game his overall is 89? ESPN also made babin HORRIBLE! I just cant stand my dude to be disrespected. Bottom line is ESPN sux royal @$$, and Madden kicks royal @$$!

Beastlyman2003
07-22-2004, 03:50 PM
YOU have Madden 2005? Where did you get it?

Beastlyman2003
07-22-2004, 03:53 PM
Someone earlier said that they heard that running on Madden is gonna be crappy. i have NCAA 2005 and i think the running on it is amazing because when you make a cut, the running back actually dips his hips and cuts, instead of just kinda turning. And i Like the new tackles, iwas gettin kinda tired of the same four different tackles over the past few years.

scourge
07-24-2004, 09:50 PM
dont know if its been posted yet, but did you see the create-a-fan clip they show here? (http://www.easports.com/games/madden2005/videos_page.jsp) creating some of the bullpen guys like Joe Texan should be entertaining...

swisher
07-25-2004, 10:55 AM
I guess the EA guys are scrambling right now to get Ricky Williams off the game.

RTP2110
07-25-2004, 05:12 PM
Bad thing is you can only create 1 fan.

tony18015
07-25-2004, 08:36 PM
I bought the new espn 2k5 and its the same game as last year just updated rosters and alittle bit more stuff u can do but nothing else. Im just gonna play ncaa 2005 till madden comes out becouse espn just sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tony18015
07-25-2004, 08:40 PM
Also keyshawn johnson is just too dam good on espn and terrel owens is not a 100.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
07-25-2004, 09:12 PM
well i'll say one thing. im enjoying ESPN 2K5 more than i enjoyed Madden 2004. As for Madden 2005? we'll have to wait and see. im definitely looking forward to it though.

DomDavis
07-26-2004, 12:46 AM
Why are you guys judging games by how certain players are rated? If you disagree with the ratings, just edit them to how you see fit. It's not a very hard process. I rate games by the gameplay and by franchise mode, and so far I'm in love with ESPN. I'm sure I'll rent Madden or play it when one of my friends buys it, but I don't know if I'll be buying it that soon. I think the ESPN gameplay and graphics are just incredible - better than Madden 2004 - and I'm not tired of playing it at all. Madden's going to have to be the greatest sports game of all-time to beat it.

Anyway, my point is that it's pretty silly to judge which game is better based on how the players are rated. It took me about 10 minutes to adjust the entire Texans roster.

dmt217
07-26-2004, 10:23 AM
Technically, a player's rating does affect gameplay. Plus, there's no point in editing them if you play online (or w/ friends b/c it's cheesy).

Anyway, the running game is more realistic than previous versions. The presentation, animations (except for controlling your players), graphics, DL/OL AI, are great as usual.

Everything still feels a little "floaty." IE. controlling players, passes, & the physics-defying football (fumbles, tipped passes)

The controls for the maximum tackling system & speeding up would've been better w/o the button mashing. Also, charging up for a move kinda takes away the point of having ratings.

Overall, it's still a great game though.

07-26-2004, 01:26 PM
I have played more 2K5, and I'm thinking it's all graphics. The game play is mediocre, I enjoy PLAYING madden more because it's easier to move the players and the passes are WAY, WAY more accurate. In ESPN, it's almost impossible to throw a screen.

Panther5407
07-26-2004, 06:49 PM
I'm wondering what will happen to 2k5 now that Ricky retired. O well, I play Madden anyways.

Blake
07-29-2004, 04:28 PM
The thing about ESPN is that it is more technical. You cant be running out of the pocket and hit a WR in all out sprint 100% of the time. Not even 50%. You need to get set, get your feet set and then you can throw accurate. It takes time and practice to get good. Just because you spent a night or 2 at the game doesnt mean you will become a god. Like in Madden. IMO.

Also ESPN will have an updated roster to fix the ricky problem.

Just for fun scree shots.

Madden Vs. ESPN

http://images.ea.com/sports/games/2005/madden/xbox/screenshots/8.jpg

http://www.espnvideogames.com/_img/screens/nfl2005/nfl2k5_ff1_06.jpg

Panther5407
07-29-2004, 04:50 PM
Nice post but I still will buy Madden. I compared some screenshots and Maddens just look tons better.

Blake
07-29-2004, 06:39 PM
I respect that. Every one is different on how they think the graphics should look. If you think madden is better, then cool. I hope you have a great time with the game. :)

Panther5407
07-29-2004, 08:03 PM
Ya, I just wish Madden was $20 too. I can't wait till it comes out. Football season is so close to starting I can taste it!!!

kbourda
09-01-2004, 11:19 PM
I'll tell you this. Madden is Madden. But I love ESPN alot. Gameplay wise, they are about neck and neck (and yes I have both games plus NCAA). Trust me, it isn't worth you spending an extra 30 bucks to get it. Especially when ESPN give you just about the same game.

Ihategeeks
09-02-2004, 08:26 AM
If you learn to play 2k5, it's really no contest. Madden is becomming nothing more than Football Tycoon.

:boxing: played madden more than any of you, I am a sad pathetic person, this opinion is overly informed :bag:

dmt217
09-02-2004, 10:08 AM
Graphics: ESPN
Presentation: ESPN
Sound: ESPN
Features: Madden
Animations: ESPN (except for player-controlled players)
Gameplay: Madden (better controls, better AI, etc.)
Online: ESPN