PDA

View Full Version : Bush as WR

mexican_texan
01-29-2006, 05:00 PM
If Bush can't cut it at RB, could he be mainly a WR?

jmerog
01-29-2006, 05:03 PM
Are you thinkin Andre #2? ive heard he has great hands but i dont really know does anyone have any info about the reliability of his hands?

Texas_Thrill
01-29-2006, 05:04 PM
If he can't make it as a RB I don't want to draft him. The whole appeal of having him is having Marshall Faulk's clone. If he's just going to be a WR we might as draft Sinorice Moss.

stevo3883
01-29-2006, 05:06 PM
Are you thinkin Andre #2? ive heard he has great hands but i dont really know does anyone have any info about the reliability of his hands?

he has very good hands for a rb, and has been used quite a bit as a receiver. He has run routes out of the backfield, and has lined up in the slot and ran good routes.

jerek
01-29-2006, 05:21 PM
He certainly has the physical abilities to be a good WR, but I haven't taken a good look at his route running abilities to comment. Still, you don't teach speed, but determination and quality time spent with the WR coach can teach route running.

On the Texans, I would expect to see him in at WR on 3-10 plays per game, while splitting carries with Davis. I still don't see us trading Davis, as (a) we won't get much of a deal for him, and (b) he has a lot of bonus we would be eating to make the deal.

Edit: not to mention (c) he is a good back who's only real downside is that he has been injured in seasons past, probably from overuse. I like Davis, and as has been suggested elsewhere on this board, I like the possibilities of him splitting carries with Bush, who's collegiate size has been (I believe accurately) suggested to be a durability concern in the NFL. Ala Anderson/Bell on Denver, and while Bush/Davis are clearly the more talented duo, they are also significantly more pricey. Remains to be seen how this will play out.

Texans>Colts
01-29-2006, 05:24 PM
He certainly has the physical abilities to be a good WR, but I haven't taken a good look at his route running abilities to comment. Still, you don't teach speed, but determination and quality time spent with the WR coach can teach route running.

On the Texans, I would expect to see him in at WR on 3-10 plays per game, while splitting carries with Davis. I still don't see us trading Davis, as (a) we won't get much of a deal for him, and (b) he has a lot of bonus we would be eating to make the deal.

yea i agree with u. The only time bush would b a WR i think would b 4 Screen Passes

ATX
01-29-2006, 06:44 PM
The thing with a player like Bush is that we could play him at both rb and wr. I don't see why we couldn't do this at times to mix it up.

bdiddy
01-29-2006, 06:48 PM
Bush could be a very good slot receiver. However, I would much rather using him as both a WR and TB.

Bush runs adequate routes, he could probably run excellent routes if he were to concentrate on being a WR.

The dude is a ridiculous athlete, who makes plays. He will find a position and be very successful in the NFL. He is a hybrid player, no single position can define him.

Koolbrz
01-29-2006, 07:47 PM

Edit: not to mention (c) he is a good back who's only real downside is that he has been injured in seasons past, probably from overuse. I like Davis, and as has been suggested elsewhere on this board, I like the possibilities of him splitting carries with Bush, who's collegiate size has been (I believe accurately) suggested to be a durability concern in the NFL. Ala Anderson/Bell on Denver, and while Bush/Davis are clearly the more talented duo, they are also significantly more pricey. Remains to be seen how this will play out.

I do believe Bush's durability we be fine in the NFL. He actually is a bit bigger that L.T. and Shaun Alexander when they first came into the NFL. He will also put on about 5-8 more pounds of muscle once he begins his strength and conditioning. I honestly feel that he is our guy. Look at what DD has done, and he is not as big as Bush. Can't wait to see the back of that #5 Texan Jersey racing down the field and those would-be tacklers trying to catch him. It's gonna be a blast

jerek
01-29-2006, 07:53 PM
I do believe Bush's durability we be fine in the NFL. He actually is a bit bigger that L.T. and Shaun Alexander when they first came into the NFL. He will also put on about 5-8 more pounds of muscle once he begins his strength and conditioning. I honestly feel that he is our guy. Look at what DD has done, and he is not as big as Bush. Can't wait to see the back of that #5 Texan Jersey racing down the field and those would-be tacklers trying to catch him. It's gonna be a blast

I do not dispute your belief that Bush's durability will be fine in the NFL, as I speculate he will do fine on that count. That said, check your numbers:

Bush: 6-0, 200 lbs (last official weight, some current pre-draft reports list him as heavy as 205)
Davis: 5-9, 221 lbs

Height is a blessing/curse for RBs. May give them more pass catching ability, but leaves an extended frame which equals increased vulnerability against tacklers.

Bush gaining another 5-10 lbs *will* cut into his speed some, that is just the nature of it. Don't get me wrong: I still think he is a great pickup and can do well in the league, but he is smaller than Davis and his size in general has more than a few scouts asking questions about his NFL durability. Risk vs. reward still says take him in the top 3 this year, but it is an issue.

DaveCarr@andrejohnson.net
01-29-2006, 08:04 PM
Reggi Young? Wat the heck are you talking about. Oh and by the way, Bush has always been known for a tail:deadhorse :taz: :gotexans1 :wherewill back

Fighting Blue Hen
01-29-2006, 08:22 PM
Wouldn't Vince Young be a better WR? He has the size, hands, and speed. :superman: :jk:

Koolbrz
01-29-2006, 10:27 PM
I do not dispute your belief that Bush's durability will be fine in the NFL, as I speculate he will do fine on that count. That said, check your numbers:

Bush: 6-0, 200 lbs (last official weight, some current pre-draft reports list him as heavy as 205)
Davis: 5-9, 221 lbs

Height is a blessing/curse for RBs. May give them more pass catching ability, but leaves an extended frame which equals increased vulnerability against tacklers.

Bush gaining another 5-10 lbs *will* cut into his speed some, that is just the nature of it. Don't get me wrong: I still think he is a great pickup and can do well in the league, but he is smaller than Davis and his size in general has more than a few scouts asking questions about his NFL durability. Risk vs. reward still says take him in the top 3 this year, but it is an issue.

Ok, checked my numbers and DD weighs in at 216#. I really don't believe Bush will lose much in speed by gaining at best 10 pounds. We are talking muscle here not fat. Playing at 210 we give him some more power to run over the brave souls, DB's, that try and take him down in the open field. Size really doesn't matter when you are as elusive as this guy. Look at S. Jackson he is 6'2'' 230#. Weight does make a difference, but he is really tall. Then again look at T. Barber he is only 5'10" 200lbs and look at what he has done. W. Dunn 5'9" 180#. They seem to be very durable and productive. As always there is always a risk when you draft someone. The reward in this situation, I believe, will be great. He has no history of being injured, because defenders can't get a clean hit on him. All i know is that if we pick this guy, look out NFL. With some good pick-ups in FA, maybe a couple trades, and some good draft choices, we might be talkin playoffs within a couple of yrs.

Big B Texan Fan
01-30-2006, 12:51 AM
Bush won't run at the combine but he'll get weighed.
Then at his pro day he'll run but not get weighed. Watch

Texans Horror
01-30-2006, 09:57 AM
Reggie Bush has experience at playing WR, but Young has the figure of a wide receiver. So that is why some people are seeing Young as the next Matt Jones/Randel El. However, IMO, I don't think VY could go for that. I think he wants to be a QB, and that is one of the reasons he declared this year. IF he did stay at Texas, and did not win the Heisman, and Texas was not National Champions, his stock would be much lower and teams would be looking at his athletic ability more than his Quarterbacking.