PDA

View Full Version : Do college rivalries have a say in your Texans-based opinions?

gtexan02
01-27-2006, 03:02 PM
Please be honest with this, as I'm very curious to see some of the answers to these questions. Once I have enough answers, I'll compile up the results and post them:

1. Are you happy with the hiring of Kubiak (Texas A&M alumni) as the new HC of the Texans?
2. Would you like the draft Reggie Bush, Vince Young, or trade down with the first pick in the NFL draft?
3. Did you go to Texas A&M, University of Texas, or another school?
4. Other than sports, do college rivalries help you make decisions in life?
5. Do you particularly dislike people/players from UT or A&M?

Please be honest to these, here are my answers:

1. Yes
2. Reggie Bush
3. Another School
4. No, my university was too small to have any rivalries
5. No, I've liked both longhorn and aggie players in the NFL thus far

Kaiser Toro
01-27-2006, 03:05 PM
Yes
Trade
Another school - live in Austin (UT fan), married to an Aggie
No
No

jerek
01-27-2006, 03:06 PM
Nope. I went to a small, crappy D3 school that had little in the way of athletics and almost no school pride. I like winning, no matter who gets us there. And I don't think a professional NFL coach discriminates against his potential players because of their alma mater. I have been to both UT and A&M multiple times, and while I can appreciate the rivalry and understand that it can last for years, I couldn't care less of Kubiak was from A&M or UT, and as far as building this franchise, I doubt he does either.

Edit: although I never liked OU, and generally disliked the time and people I got to know while there. Part of why I love watching Texas beat them down in the Red River Shootout. Thanks for nothing, Chris Simms.

Exascor
I'll play:

1. Yes
2. Torn between them all actually. Young and Bush are great. Trading down to get Ferguson or Hawk....hmmm
3. Other
4. Ummm....no
5. No. I like good football players no matter where the play ball.

D-ReK
1. Yes, though I have my reservations about him
2. Trade down if at all possible
3. Another school -- Sam Houston, I plan on going to graduate school at Tech
4. Not at all, you have to be able to separate petty rivalries and real life situations
5. Again, not at all, we're all Texans, regardless of where we attended school

djkennedy101
1. Yes
2. Trade down
3. Other School
4. No
5. I love all Texas College Players

4Texans
01-27-2006, 03:11 PM
1) Yes
2) I'll be OK with whoever they draft at #1, but I think a trade could benefit them more right now.
3) I went to a smaller TX Div 1AA school.
4) NO
5) I like both A&M, & UT

gtexan02
01-27-2006, 03:12 PM
Well this is interesting so far. I sort of thought all the VY support would come from UT and all the RB support would come from A&M just to spite UT. The feeling of the message board is so angry that maybe its just a few people constantly stirring the pot

Texans_Chick
01-27-2006, 03:12 PM
Please be honest with this, as I'm very curious to see some of the answers to these questions. Once I have enough answers, I'll compile up the results and post them:

1. Are you happy with the hiring of Kubiak (Texas A&M alumni) as the new HC of the Texans?
2. Would you like the draft Reggie Bush, Vince Young, or trade down with the first pick in the NFL draft?

1. Yes. And then some.
2. Preference is VY, Bush and trade down in that order at this point. Trade down gets bumped up in my analysis if we get players as well as good picks but it would have to be really good and make sense.
3. Texas
4. Sometimes they make me buy football tickets to see a game, but no, not really. Married a Texas guy but not because of that.
5. Nope. I've liked players from both schools if they can play. And I don't have a player bias--for example, I was fine with the TJ over DJ pick. I do sometime think that friends of mine who are Ags are kinda weird sometimes though. But I am OK with weird.

Tyr
01-27-2006, 03:13 PM
1. Yes
2. On the fence, curious to see FA (Reggie or Trade Down)
3. If things had worked out, UT.
4. No
5. No (I want the best players, regardless of school. Even if an Aggie or Sooner)

chall8
01-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Interesting post... My responses:

Answer: Absolutely yes

Answer: Heart says VY, but head says trade down. Head should prevail.

UT graduate

Well...I don't wear or purchase maroon-colored shirts or vehicles... But if my kid told me they really wanted to go to A&M I wouldn't discourage. (If they told me they wanted to go to OU it would require some serious justification!).

No, not really... I'm not a big McKinney fan but it's b/c I get sick of listening to him (the guy has never seen an interview he didn't like), not b/c he's an Aggie. I liked Aaron Glenn a lot and he's an Aggie. Honestly though, I WOULD like to see this team get a Longhorn or two on the team. After all we are the "Texans". Not a show-killer, but just a little extra to cheer for. Also, I admit that it would be a little difficult if the team was completely dominated by Aggies (just as I'm sure Aggies wouldn't be as excited about a team with 5-6 Longhorns on it). But in the end I want Houston to go to the Super Bowl, whether they're from A&M, OU, or Mars.

TD
01-27-2006, 03:19 PM
1. Yes, but not because of where he's from.

2. Vince Young, admittedly partly because of where he's from and where he wants to be. It's the tie-breaker between three good options.

3. Another

4. No.

5. No. I love UT, but A&M is OK too.

Errant Hothy
01-27-2006, 03:20 PM
1. Very much so.
2. My prefernce in order Trade, Bush then Young
3. Other, Texas Tech. As for UT and A&AM, my dad is calss of '67 in Austin, and my mom has adopted them since they got married. I was brain washed as a kid, and I still pull for UT every weekend they play unless they are playing Tech. Now factor those two in for my general opinion of teh Aggies, but my wife's borther is one; and in reality they are usaully good people. (minus the Corp :D)
4. No
5. No, see answer to #3

Hookem Horns
01-27-2006, 03:22 PM

Yes, why should it matter what school he went to?

Vince Young because I think he is going to be great at the NFL level and after being a "Carr optimist" for 3.5 years, my optimism has ran out. The Texans need someone to take charge behind center and after watching VY take over games week after week I am convinced he has that ability.

Guess what? I didn't go to UT. I went to Delaware however you never saw me in here screaming that the Texans should sign Rich Gannon. While I do root for UT and now live in Austin, I honestly came up with my screen name "Hookem Horns" because of the Bull on the Texans helmet, not UT.

That is silly however I KNOW that some Aggies are like that through my working relationships. I had one of them tell me they are biased towards other A&M grads in business dealings. Some of that A&M stuff is a little like a cult if you ask me. I don't get that vibe from UT alums that I know. That all being said, I don't hate A&M and never have.

Loved Aaron Glenn when he was here but now he plays for a team a disdain so that love is now gone. Just tell me what roster any UT or A&M player is on and I will tell you if I like him or not.

Double Barrel
01-27-2006, 03:28 PM

1. Yes
2. All of the above....probably lean towards trading down under the right deal
3. UofH
4. Nope
5. Nope, I could care less (have friends from both schools)

Mr. White
01-27-2006, 03:31 PM
Really good thread.... too bad the real a-holes from the other threads won't post on it.

Mr. White
01-27-2006, 03:41 PM

1. I wish they would've got him the first time.

2. VY, followed by a trade down.

3. Another school... UT or A&M didn't have my program.

4. Hell no... it turns my stomach to think that people think this way... and they do.

5. The only people that I dislike are close-minded cretins that let their allegiance cloud their world-view. Neither school has a monopoly on these people.

Grid
01-27-2006, 03:44 PM
1 Yes. Best young coach in the league. 3 superbowl rings in 9 years. Awesome hire.

2. I am equally inclined towards both Bush and Trading down. I dont feel that a project QB is the right move for us at this point.

3. Currently at A&M

4. Hmm..that is debateable. Living in college station..I do have an aversion towards burnt orange colors :). A burnt orange car is likely to get egged by some drunk aggies after a game.

5. Hmm.. no. Once a player hits the pros, all that matters to me is his abilities.

Khari
01-27-2006, 03:47 PM

1. yeah
2. reggie or trade down
3. um...a school in the A&M system, but I really don't affiliate with either
4. uh...nope
5. nope...i particularly hate college sports in general equally :)

Long Baller
01-27-2006, 04:06 PM
1. Yes
2. Trade down
3. UT & UofH
4. No
5. No

TheOgre
01-27-2006, 04:15 PM

1. Yes. I wanted him as our initial coach actually.
2. Trade down (Ferguson or Mario Williams)
3. UT
4. For the most part No. I might avoid topics of religion or politics with someone from a university that I view as extremely liberal or conservative (Baylor, A&M, Berkley, Stanford, etc.).
5. No, I have several relatives and friends that attended m&a (hey if it is t.u. it might as well be m&a).

Texan Asylum
01-27-2006, 04:17 PM
1) Yes absolutely, positively... even if he's an EX-Donkey.

2) Reggie, but would be swayed with a better argument I haven't read here or anywhere else...yet.

3) Just the advanced schooling in the studies of Gwinology.

4) Used to tell alot of Aggie jokes. Other than that, can't say it even rates as a factor.

5) Really like the current Aggie in charge! Can't say much more...call it overkill.

bigtex77
01-27-2006, 04:19 PM
1. Yes

2. Trade down

3. Neither (Huge Aggie fan, though)

4. No

5. No

RedTex
01-27-2006, 04:22 PM
1. Yes
2. Trade down if a great offer is there. if not take Bush
3. Texas Tech
4. No, but i really hate dallas and their teams
5. After they leave school they are just another good player from the great state of Texas.

FirstTexansFan
01-27-2006, 04:26 PM

Yes

Trade down

Texas A&M

Not even in sports, I'll always pull for the Texas team against any school outside the state. And I love tu graduates, who else can make my burger so well at McDonalds? :)

Not the players, as for their fans, well, we can see from their postings on this board the types of characters most of them are :)

Buffi2
01-27-2006, 04:28 PM
[QUOTE=gtexan02
5. Do you particularly dislike people/players from UT or A&M?[/QUOTE]

Good thread - interesting how the angry posters are staying away.
1. Definitely yes!
2. I go with trade down or Bush only because I don't think Young is a fit for winning now - but he will be someday.
3. TCU when football teams were pretty bad.
4. How silly - of course not.
5. Nope - but I do know that college football fans are as a whole the most zealous, most loyal, most diehard of any other type sports fans - fact.:cool:

Texans Horror
01-27-2006, 04:31 PM
1. Yes
2. Just happy with a change. Any one of those options works for me.
3. Texas
4. No way.
5. I like to see a player say "Texas" or "The University of Texas" on MNF, but I wouldn't say I dislike anybody for their school. Once you're in the NFL, you're starting over. As far as people, I'd have to say no. I enjoy harassing them and they enjoy harassing me.

Bob_A
01-27-2006, 04:39 PM

1. Yes
2. I'm a trade down'er
3. Another School...UH, but I have brothers and a sister that went to A&M.. and a son who may be headed that way. I spent a lot of time around Austin back in the day. I dated a UT student for a few years.
4. No. College rivalries have no bearing on my life decisions. I'd likely feel differently if I was an alum of a school with a hardcore traditional rivalry like UT-A&M, OSU-Michigan, Auburn-Alabama, etc.
5. No, thats pretty silly. As a UH student back when we first entered the Southwest Conference we were treated very rudely at Kyle Field. At least the group I was with were. I was angry for awhile but I got over it and I pull for A&M against teams from outside the state. But I'll never go there for a game again. :hide:

Jack Bauer
01-27-2006, 04:47 PM

Yes.

I have gone down each road. Currently, I am in the trade down frame of mind.

Texas A&M University, Whoop!

No.

I have friends who went to both schools. Outside of college athletics, I never root against a Longhorn.

I will say that growing up I rooted for the Longhorns. They broke my heart when they lost to Georgia in the Cotton Bowl! My original intentions were to go to UT and get my degree. My decision as a youth was based only on athletics. Once I visited each campus (environment, people) and did my research on academics, I chose A&M.

TexansFight
01-27-2006, 04:50 PM

1. Not my first choice, but I don't have a problem with it. I would like to see him get an experienced and top notch defensive coordinator. If his maroon colored classes get in the way and intentionally snubs Horns then I will have a problem. Obviously if he sucks I will similarly have a problem.

2. We were 2-14 last year. I think some David Carr apologists seem to forget this in defending their guy. This team needs radical change. My first option is to get VY because of everything that he brings to the table. I can be swayed to the trade down and get a boat load of picks to address problems as well. Drafting Bush makes NO sense to me at all and hated the idea even BEFORE VY declared.

3. I am a proud graduate of UT Law School.

4. No not at all. I am a proud Horn but don't let the factor into my decision making.

5. I like to poke fun at aggy and their "traditions". I think A&M is a very good academic school and wished it wasn't so weird so that it would be an option for more kids. Ray Childress was one of my favorite players and I had quite a thrill shaking his hand after an Oilers pep rally at Dave & Busters. I like Bucky Richardson and Aaron Glenn as well.

I don't have a problem having aggy on the Texans. My problem is that we NEED VY and we have had a history of avoiding TEXAS football players. I am tired of being a fan that doesn't represent ME.

edo783
01-27-2006, 05:22 PM

1. Yes, very much.
2. Trade down if a great offer is there. if not take Bush
3. Others - Illinois & Harvard
4. No
5. Nope

Porky
01-27-2006, 05:24 PM

1) Yes, very much so. I called it at mid season, and also liked him more than Dom in 2001.

2) I lean slightly to VY but am very open on this, and I think any choice has its merits and will be happy with anything, so you can put me down as all of the above.

3) Another school

4) not at all. There are certain very liberal schools I might not like in that sense, but not in a sports sense.

5) Love them all. Any college in Texas has my support, although I know people who feel deifferently.

ComstockLode
01-27-2006, 05:30 PM
1. I am happy with Kubiak so far.
2. I would prefer Vince Young/trade down.
3. Spent a year at texas before it became too expensive(going to be a baseball coach so its a waste of money) Now attend UofH
4. College rivalries would play in a little bit.
5. I only dislike McKinney because he always being interviewed and acts like we are always one step from the super bowl.

AustinJB
01-27-2006, 05:55 PM

1. Yes, very happy!
2. VY, then a good trade (w/ Kubes calling the shots and NOT Casserly), then Bush.
3. Another school (UT fan though)
4. No
5. No---once they are in the pros, it only matters how good they are and how much they help your team. Loved A.Glenn, would love to have S R.Williams or DT Tommie Harris from OU on our team (even though I still cuss them for back when the were killing my Horns.):cool:

SESupergenius
01-27-2006, 06:13 PM
1. Yes, but it depends more on the staff around him
2. Trade Down get a great player in DBrick for RT or D. Williams for HB and use our extra 3rd round pick to couple with maybe our second round pick to get any number of the good offensive linemen in this draft, whether from Texas or not.
3. UTEP (a bastar d child of UT)
4. Yes, On in purchasing college gear, that's about it.
5. No, but I dislike A&M for stealing our BB coach at UTEP. I think big college players are overrated however.

axman40
01-27-2006, 06:42 PM

1. Yes
2. Vince Young
3. other
4. no
5. no

:twocents:

Texan Gal 312
01-27-2006, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=gtexan02]Please be honest with this, as I'm very curious to see some of the answers to these questions. Once I have enough answers, I'll compile up the results and post them:

1. Yes. I am still waiting on the final decision on OC and DC. I was hoping we would hire some ex-head coaches for these positions. They only became head coach because they were good coordinators.

2. If the offer is as good as it has been in past years - trade down. I like what i have seen of AJ Hawk. If no trade, Reggie.

3. Texas

4. No - Other than I was partial to the sunset orange color when buying my vehicle.

5. Nope

Bronco Texan
01-27-2006, 06:53 PM

1. HELL YES!!!! Best thing that ever happened to me being a huge fan of both teams.

2. Trade down. Pick Ferguson, fix the D.

3. Other, but I fan of any Texas school

4. No, you would have to mentally unstable to do that.

5. Nope, they're all good. Whatever player helps make this team good sooner, than that is the player I want.

Wharton
01-27-2006, 07:40 PM
1. Yes
2. Vince Young - Actually, I don't think Carr has what it takes so anything else will do, but Vince has the most upside potential
3. Texas A&M
4. No, I have more friends from UT, then A&M but I am still an Aggie
5. Could care less. I like that we have players from Texas schools (another reason to draft VY)

sakebomb
01-27-2006, 08:39 PM

I'm very happy with the signing. With the recent success of coaches like Marvin Lewis, Charlie Weiss, Lovie Smith I wanted the Texans to go the cooridinator route. Retread coaches are a waste of everyone's time.

I am in favor of drafting Bush, but if someone wants to trade the farm for the #1 pick I think we should consider it.

My dad graduated from A&M in 1961 so I've been brainwashed maroon and white.

Nope

I don't dislike someone for the school they support. I do think it's weak when people don't give a damn about a school until they win a major game or make a major change to the program (example: Tech hiring Knight)

Seņor Stan
01-27-2006, 08:39 PM
1. I love the Kubiak hire.

2. I change my mind every 20 minutes.
I think Carr can improve and become a Pro Bowl caliber quarterback with better coaching and good pass protection.
I love Reggie Bush's game and think he will make an immediate impact. With a great offensive schemer like Kubiak, teams will pull their hair out trying to contain Bush.
I think Vince is the biggest risk/reward of the options. I personally think he could become the Michael Jordan of football. Heck, he made Mack Brown a winner...TWICE! Salary cap issues make this a tough option, but the Texans would be fools not to explore all options.
Trading down after a offer you can't refuse could solidfy the line, add a legit TE, and bolster the D.

3. Went to the United States Naval Academy, but grew up a Longhorn fan.

4. Would hire an Army guy in a New York minute.

5. I tend to lose interest in players that are not on the Texans.

texasguy346
01-27-2006, 08:44 PM

I'm happy with the hiring of Kubiak as the new HC.

I tend to lean towards the trade down camp, but I wouldn't be upset if we kept the pick and took either guy.

I went to Baylor University.

Not at all.

Not at all.

Vinny
01-27-2006, 08:50 PM

I was a cynic since I would rather have a defensive oriented coach but Kubiak was pretty impressive at the PC and struck me as a solid face of the franchise. He has my support.

I am ok with any of the three but I'd prefer we make a move on Carr and start our offensive unit over with Young at QB. If Kubiak can get Carr to 25-30 TD passes a year, I am good with the Bush pick. I'm most wary of a trade down. I don't trust Casserly to find a superior mix of lesser prospects.

No ties to A&M or UT

No to both.

ArlingtonTexan
01-27-2006, 09:40 PM

1. Are you happy with the hiring of Kubiak (Texas A&M alumni) as the new HC of the Texans? Yes. Of the coordinators hired around the league he and Brad childress were the most qualified in terms of sustained success and reputation.

2. Would you like the draft Reggie Bush, Vince Young, or trade down with the first pick in the NFL draft? In order of preference: Bush, trade down and Young, but would not mind any if done for 'football' not marketing or business reasons. Also, based on the Texans (not my) view of Carr. If no Carr, then Young, Bush, Trade down

3. Did you go to Texas A&M, University of Texas, or another school? Another school (multiple), but lived in Austin 4 years so my bias is toward the Longhorns.

4.Other than sports, do college rivalries help you make decisions in life? No. I have attended smaller schools (in sports terms) and currently work for a university that is the same conference as one I graduated from.

5.Do you particularly dislike people/players from UT or A&M? Only when they forget that more people ARE NOT longhorns or aggies than are.

Answer in quote.

Rovator
01-27-2006, 10:37 PM
1) Yeah, I actually hoped A&M would of taken a look at him a few years ago but they went with Fran, and the rest is history.
2) I'd be ok with Bush or trading down. I actually like Young , but he's not even the clear cut #1 QB at his position.
3) A&M
4) No
5) Yeah, I like to sucker punch Texas fans and throw batteries at Tech fans so I don't catch one of their STD's... j/k I have some close friends at both schools.

Tulip
01-27-2006, 10:40 PM

I'm satisfied. Kubiak has been a big part of a successful franchise, he really wants to be the Texans coach in Houston, and so far, he hasn't uttered the words "ball control offense".

Vince Young. Although, I'm not sure the team could "go wrong" choosing any of those three options.

Texas Tech

No

I'll admit that I didn't particularly enjoy the adulation Steve McKinney has received, but I was a fan of Aaron Glenn and was sad to see him go.

vtech9
01-27-2006, 10:49 PM

I would have been happy with Scott Linehan, Jerry Gray, or Kubiak, in that order. We got Kubiak, so I am happy. Hopefully, we can still get Gray as our Defensive Coordinator.

I would take Young or trade down. I don't want Bush at all. I would rather take someone like Taurean Henderson in the 4th round. I would take Bush in the 2nd, but not in the 1st. I was never in favor of Bush, even before Young declared. I believe Bush will be a bust in the NFL. I don't think his speed will give him the advantage against NFL players like it did in college. I was a big Carr fan when he was coming out, and I still think he has the potential to be a star, but right now it is still unrealized potential. If after 4 years of unrealized potential, at what point do you throw in the towell? I think the time is now.

I went to a trade school here in Oklahoma. I grew up a USC fan, but was always an Oilers fan because of my dad. Never really followed UT or A&M, but have thought for a long time that Mack Brown was incompetent.

Not in the least

I look at talent, not at what school they are from. I didn't really wan't DJ last year, because I didn't think he fit our scheme. I kept talking about Mathis at this time last year, hoping that we would get him, but all I kept hearing from others on here was that "He's from a small school." "He can't do it in the NFL" "He didn't play anybody" "He's just a track guy trying to play football". When the Texans did draft him I was like :yahoo: . It's not about the school.

awtysst
01-27-2006, 10:56 PM
Yes. I think Kubiack can be a great coach and I look forward to his first season.

Hmm. Tough. I go back and forth on this one on a daily basis. At the moment I would go Vince.

I attended a school on the East Coast for college and am attending a school in Chicago for grad school.

Not at all.

5.Do you particularly dislike people/players from UT or A&M?
Nope. I have friends who have attended both. One of my friends went to undergrad at A&M and grad at UT while another did undergrad at UT and grad at A&M.

Dime
01-28-2006, 02:19 PM

Please be honest to these, here are my answers:

1. Yes
2. Reggie Bush
3. Another School
4. No, my university was too small to have any rivalries
5. No, I've liked both longhorn and aggie players in the NFL thus far

1. Very happy.
2. Trade down.
3. OU
4. No.
5. I like them just fine.

bigTEXan8
01-28-2006, 02:23 PM

1. Yes
2. I wouldn't mind Bush, but I would prefer to trade down.
3. Wanted to go to UT, but went somewhere close to home (Fresno State)
4. Nope
5. Nope