PDA

View Full Version : Coach to Players Strengths

Ibar_Harry
01-27-2006, 02:21 PM
I have been somewhat impressed with Kubiack's press conference particularly his emphasis on he will do what the players do best and design his defenses and offenses accordingly. He said he was not bull headed in that regard. That to me is the hall mark of the great coaches we have seen in the NFL. They let the players impose the systems used by the team based on their abilities. Not enough can be said about that in regard to what has happened to the Texans the last several years.

I find solice in the fact that at this point he believes David Carr has the tools to be successful and quite frankly very subtlely implied that he probably had not been coached properly. I think that has also been a given, but I still will say we won't know until we get down the line.

He addressed one of my concerns about hiring young coaches, but I still will qualify that by saying I don't necessarily mind that as long as they are coaching what they know. I do not want to see someone coaching receivers, for example, who has never been a receiver or coached receivers. A good example would be Jerry Rice. He has no coaching experience, but he knows very well what a receiver needs to do to be successful. I could see a young man who was a receiver in college who couldn't make it for one reason or another in the NFL talent wise, but might very well know what its all about as to being a receiver.

Finally, I wish Kubiack well. He is taking over a team that has been demoralized and destroyed by the previous coaching staff. We have no idea as to what kind of talent we have. I believe many of our players are going to have to be rebuilt from the ground up teaching them fundamentals and techniques as a result of what the previous staff taught them.

I think all of us will now have to sit back and let the process happen. whatever that may be. Kubiack and whoever his assistants are, and yes Casserly, will have a lot of decisions and assessments to make between now and the start of TC. We will all probably have things to cheer about and things to yell about, but that's the way it goes. However, what Kubiack said is he will do what he thinks is best for the team and everyone has to keep that in mind. He is now the captain of the ship and those responsibilities are now on his shoulders.

Once again I was very impressed with his demeanor, his humility and the way he handled himself during the press conference. Good luck Mr. Kubiack and GO TEXANS...................................

Glacier
01-27-2006, 02:25 PM
No doubt....other than his decision to try to reclaim Carr, I was very impressed with him, myself. I think the dude is going to do an awesome job. Lets hope 4 years from now, we aren't eating words and looking to the next Messiah who is going to turn things around.

Ibar_Harry
01-27-2006, 02:33 PM
No doubt....other than his decision to try to reclaim Carr, I was very impressed with him, myself. I think the dude is going to do an awesome job. Lets hope 4 years from now, we aren't eating words and looking to the next Messiah who is going to turn things around.

Kubiack has been a QB coach and a QB. If he thinks David has the tools, then I think you can trust his judgement. Their were a lot of people who thought David had a lot of talent - and in the 1st game he played as a Texan we saw that. I really think David is a function of very bad coaching as are a whole lot of other Texans including AJ. I think we have to trust Kubiack at this point and wait and see what happens.

bakerooskie
01-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Kubiack has been a QB coach and a QB. If he thinks David has the tools, then I think you can trust his judgement. Their were a lot of people who thought David had a lot of talent - and in the 1st game he played as a Texan we saw that. I really think David is a function of very bad coaching as are a whole lot of other Texans including AJ. I think we have to trust Kubiack at this point and wait and see what happens.

Good Post... I feal exactly the same... David Carr can become a good leader, with the right coaching...

4Texans
01-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Harry - I'm right there with you on Kubiak.

Can you imagine what guys like Andre Johnson and Peek are going to do when they're coached to their strengths??? Look Out!!!!

jerek
01-27-2006, 02:38 PM
I second the initial motion, and I am very much looking forward to seeing what Kubiak can do for us. Dom and Co. never utilized players for the strengths in their games, individually or as a team, and it surely does appear that Kubiak is intent on reversing that trend. We have played for too long now with too many perfectly good players (AJ, Gaffney, Mathis, Armstrong, Orr, Peek, Buchanon, etc. etc.) that we made to look bad because of the way in which our system utilized them. And I am looking forward to seeing what Kubiak and Co. can do to change that.

MightyTExan
01-27-2006, 03:22 PM
I'm not a rumor mill person, but I was just talking to a co-worker that said his son was an O-lineman on the practice squad (He wouldn't tell me his name), and he basically stated that the line does not like to play for him because he's a cocky. stuck-up S.O.B. I like Carr so I hope it's not true, but it would be a good reason for his woes.

thegr8fan
01-27-2006, 03:34 PM
If Kubiak isn't just playing 'lip service' to the 'play to a players strength' idea then he is 2 steps ahead of most NFL coach's already, IMHO. Not sure what Carr's strength's are, other than taking sacks, but it would be interesting to see him have some. I know he has to have SOMETHING that Kubiak likes and, hopefully, Capers wouldn't allow him to do. Hopefully Kubiak can bring it out and turn even my opinion on Carr around.

I remember when Marino was drafted and Shula immediately started the Miami Phins on a pass oriented offense, which was a 180 deg turn from their run oriented Superbowl days. That is what made Shula a great coach.

Kubiak, show us what you got man.

MightyTEXan, your not the first person I have heard that same thing from. Looks like Kubiak has more than just 'on the field' training to do with some players.

houstonhurricane
01-27-2006, 03:40 PM
Solid post. I have been impressed with Kubiak as well and look forward to seeing him help develop some of the younger talent on the team.

As for Carr, I don't think it is fair to grade him on what happened in the past -the franchise continually refused to solidify the line, our receivers (outside of AJ) have been subpar, and the coaching was pathetic. Let's see what Kubiak can do with him! We may look back in a couple of years and realize Carr was simply not a good quarterback. However, I don't think we can honestly come to that realization yet.

BradK10
01-27-2006, 03:42 PM
This is great to hear. In the business world, especially in sales, you run into managers who want to mold all their employees into what they want, most of the time ignoring their strengths. This is the worst possible way to manage.

Double Barrel
01-27-2006, 03:44 PM

I agree with you. I'm trusting in Kubiak's sound judgement, because it's his professional head coaching career that is being tied to the players he decides to go with. I'm sure it's not a decision that he entered into lightly, and if Carr is bloody worthless, I feel confident that Kubiak would boot him off the team in a heartbeat.

Kubiak's hiring has one purpose: winning. He knows it, and we expect it. He's not going to let an owner or GM tell him who to play, because he never would have taken the job under those circumstances. He had too much going for him in Denver to allow such nonsense in his first head coaching gig.

In Kubiak we trust, indeed! :texflag:

Carr Bombed
01-27-2006, 03:53 PM
I'm not a rumor mill person, but I was just talking to a co-worker that said his son was an O-lineman on the practice squad (He wouldn't tell me his name), and he basically stated that the line does not like to play for him because he's a cocky. stuck-up S.O.B. I like Carr so I hope it's not true, but it would be a good reason for his woes. I'm not buying that. Being the most sacked QB in the NFL, getting booed at home, and playing on bad teams will bring out the true character in anybody. If that was true we would all ready seen the signs of a cocky, stuck-up S.O.B. Manning hung his line out after one game. Carr after three years has taken it all in stride and has not placed blame on his teamates. If that was true we would all ready heard about it in the press (things have a way of leaking out)

Hardcore Texan
01-27-2006, 03:54 PM
I'm not a rumor mill person, but I was just talking to a co-worker that said his son was an O-lineman on the practice squad (He wouldn't tell me his name), and he basically stated that the line does not like to play for him because he's a cocky. stuck-up S.O.B. I like Carr so I hope it's not true, but it would be a good reason for his woes.

If that is true than that is an easy fix. Play like a team or pack your freakin' bags, I would expect Kubes to come down on anyone who is not putting the team first. His former players have said it, and Kubes has said it.

Paraphrasing: I expect players to give all the got out on the field for one another.

Kubes has already kind of heading this type of thinking off at the pass. He is a "team" guy, I think he will demand unselfish team play for the betterment of the team, and I think he has done a great job articulating that fact already. If players aren't on board the will be on the pine.

I am freakin' pumped about Kubiak!

4Texans
01-27-2006, 04:00 PM
I'm excited to see what a new coaching staff is going to do with the existing players, regardless of which players are still around when the season starts. That includes Carr. All the players get a clean slate.

TheOgre
01-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Caper's coaching approach:
Try to chip edges of square peg -> round hole :brickwall

Kubiak's coaching approach:
Lose the round hole
Square peg -> square hole :cool:

TheOgre
01-27-2006, 04:23 PM

I agree with you Ibar. The only player on the team that I can thing of that has progressed at all as a result of the previous regime is Chester Pitts. Heck it isn't hard to understand why. The guy was a relative novice to the game when he got to San Diego State. He could help but get better ON HIS OWN with repetitions. It is just stunning how bad our coaching was.

edo783
01-27-2006, 05:04 PM
Living in the Denver area I have been able to hear over the years what folks think of Kubes and what sort of guy he actually is and I can tell you that without a doubt he is ALL about TEAM. Folks sometimes mistake his media persona for how he is on the field and that wouldn't be a correct read. He is intense, calm but will get up in the players grill if they are screwing up. He is also VERY supportive of his guys and gives them 100% of his effort and works real hard to make things good for them. He wont put up with ANYONE not putting out 100% for the team and there won't be anything he won't do for the guys who do. IMO, it will be shown we are very luck to have scored him as our HC.

MightyTExan
01-27-2006, 05:18 PM
I'm not buying that. Being the most sacked QB in the NFL, getting booed at home, and playing on bad teams will bring out the true character in anybody. If that was true we would all ready seen the signs of a cocky, stuck-up S.O.B. Manning hung his line out after one game. Carr after three years has taken it all in stride and has not placed blame on his teamates. If that was true we would all ready heard about it in the press (things have a way of leaking out)

I agree. To me that looked like the case at the last game against Cleveland. It just screamed to me, "they aren't playing for him". But whatever happened during our horrid season, it seems that they were playing for him. Especially during the last few games. It seems to me the team was behind Carr moreso than they were behind the coaches. I'll say it, I'm a Carr fan. But I'm a Bush fan and a Young fan. I love football, and I like watching players with exceptional talent.

Jack Bauer
01-27-2006, 05:21 PM
I'm not a rumor mill person, but I was just talking to a co-worker that said his son was an O-lineman on the practice squad (He wouldn't tell me his name)

What was his last name? You might be able to figure it out this way... :spy:

Ibar_Harry
01-27-2006, 07:01 PM
I'm glad to see that there are a number of other fans out there with the same opinion about the former staff and their inability to accept the players stengths and play to them. Yes, and the example of Shula, is a prime example of the ability to adapt to your players and not your system. I really don't believe fans understand how far this factor went in destroying a potentially good ball club. As things begin to happen I hope we will begin to hear some reports and begin to gain some insight into Kubiacks approach to the team's problems. I really am anxious to hear reports on the WR's and the O-line on the offensive side of the ball. I'm really anxious to hear if BJ will finally be healthy. Gosh, we really do have some potential on this ball club, but it never sees the light of day.

thunderkyss
01-27-2006, 08:26 PM
I have been somewhat impressed with Kubiack's press conference particularly his emphasis on he will do what the players do best and design his defenses and offenses accordingly. He said he was not bull headed in that regard. That to me is the hall mark of the great coaches we have seen in the NFL. They let the players impose the systems used by the team based on their abilities. Not enough can be said about that in regard to what has happened to the Texans the last several years.
Good luck Mr. Kubiack and GO TEXANS...................................

There's only one problem to this............ It won't work.

It will be the special players who we should allow to play, to the strengths of whom we should coach to. But overall, we should select players to fit our ideaology(sp) fit our system.

footballguy69
01-28-2006, 11:56 AM
I'm not buying that. Being the most sacked QB in the NFL, getting booed at home, and playing on bad teams will bring out the true character in anybody. If that was true we would all ready seen the signs of a cocky, stuck-up S.O.B. Manning hung his line out after one game. Carr after three years has taken it all in stride and has not placed blame on his teamates. If that was true we would all ready heard about it in the press (things have a way of leaking out)

I have heard some of that too, but have not seen or heard it publicly. So I think it is mostly that - rumors.This will be one thing Kubiak will work on regarding being a leader. If I had the line protection Carr has had the past 4 years I would be kicking some ***. One thing we know Carr is a tough, tough QB.:superman: