PDA

View Full Version : kubiak might not be the savior

bayshorebevo
01-26-2006, 06:50 PM
kubiak was a good hire and i am glad we took him. however he has never been a head coach before so we can not know whether he is going to be any good or not. there is a lot of difference between a good head coach and a good coordinator. just ask dom.

Mario Williams
01-26-2006, 06:53 PM
"so we can not know whether he is going to be any good or not." So we go ahead and assume he isn't our savior? Logical.

Did you make this topic because you're upset about us not going to pick Vince Young?

edo783
01-26-2006, 06:54 PM
Yes

FirstTexansFan
01-26-2006, 06:54 PM
Looks like a thread that can be deleted to me.

houstonhurricane
01-26-2006, 06:59 PM
You are right. We should have tried to grab Mack Brown! Darn, we really missed the boat on that one...:rolleyes:

real
01-26-2006, 07:01 PM
You all are silly...First you accuse him of assuming, then you turn around and do the same thing...wow...has the atmosphere gotten so bad on this board that you all start jumping down peoples throats and finding hidden agendas when all this person was trying to do was talk about something different ???

houstonhurricane
01-26-2006, 07:05 PM
Yes.

Runner
01-26-2006, 07:08 PM
You all are silly...First you accuse him of assuming, then you turn around and do the same thing...wow...has the atmosphere gotten so bad on this board that you all start jumping down peoples throats and finding hidden agendas when all this person was trying to do was talk about something different ???

Wait - are you suggesting that people read between the lines, spin what they hear beyond recognition, and make up conspiracy theories to suit their own agenda? On this board?????

real
01-26-2006, 07:10 PM
No.

Hardcore Texan
01-26-2006, 07:10 PM
32 NFL Coaches were never a NFL Coach before they became a Coach in the NFL.

real
01-26-2006, 07:12 PM
Wait - are you suggesting that people read between the lines, spin what they hear beyond recognition, and make up conspiracy theories to suit their own agenda? On this board?????
I have no comment for all of that, My question was..."has the atmosphere gotten so bad on this board that you all start jumping down peoples throats and finding hidden agendas when all this person was trying to do was talk about something different ??? "

Now you can read between the lines like the other previous posters or you can take it for what it is...

Runner
01-26-2006, 07:13 PM
I was joking. I think everybody might want to turn it down a notch.

real
01-26-2006, 07:14 PM
I know...I was joking too

bayshorebevo
01-26-2006, 07:17 PM
all i was saying was that people are jumping up and down like they are positive we have the next vince lombardi. i hope we do. just saying we have no way of knowing that yet.

Wharton
01-26-2006, 07:19 PM
Did you make this topic because you're upset about us not going to pick Vince Young?
While I have to admit it, the Texans will probably sign DC's option contract and we will be stuck with the loser for 3 more years. But, they haven't signed it yet. And it ain't over 'till its over.

Grid
01-26-2006, 07:21 PM
I really hope Carr learns quickly from Kubiak and hits the ground running this next season... otherwise we are going to have to deal with the Carr haters for MONTHS more after the offseason is over.

real
01-26-2006, 07:21 PM
You are right... I don't really have any comments about the Texans at this point...Of course as a fan I have several preferences, but at this point I'd rather read and observe...

cuppacoffee
01-26-2006, 07:45 PM
kubiak was a good hire and i am glad we took him. however he has never been a head coach before so we can not know whether he is going to be any good or not. there is a lot of difference between a good head coach and a good coordinator. just ask dom.

Yeah yeah what ever. VY has never been a pro QB but you don't mind singing his praises. We don't know if he will be any good or not either. Lot of difference between being a good college QB and a good pro QB. I am sure that whatever team drafts VY has room on board for you.

Paragon Blue
01-26-2006, 08:06 PM
Lovie Smith, Marvin Lewis are just some examples of people that can turn franchises around!!!! Lewis was a defensive coordinator and he has one of the most exsplosive offenses in the league!!!!Your argument is weak!!!

Runner
01-26-2006, 08:07 PM
I really hope Carr learns quickly from Kubiak and hits the ground running this next season... otherwise we are going to have to deal with the Carr haters for MONTHS more after the offseason is over.

I think we'll be all right. This past season has made everybody extremely negative. I think the majority of people here think the coaching was a major problem in 2005; well, the coaches are gone and it looks like we're getting at least a competent staff to replace them. However, last season has left such a bad taste in everyone's mouths that many seem to think we are still going to be just as bad without a major overhaul in talent - in other words they don't really trust the coaching was the cause. They know it in their heads, but not their hearts.

I don't think that the talent is that bad. I think our players were much closer to the almost .500 team of 2004; I'm confident they will be eager to show that in 2006. We have decent players, we'll now have decent schemes and we'll put the best players on the field - two things our coaches didn't do last year.

So with the good coaching and just one or two good acquisitions, I think we'll be at least .500 next year, with another good leap in 2007 as everybody gets comfortable as a team and is ready to let loose.

We need to put 2005 behind us - it was the aberration caused by coaching. If we have to consider the slide at the end of 2004, that was the coaching too.

dat_boy_yec
01-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Look here captain obvious (that would be you bayshorebevo) Of course there is a risk that Kubiak could bomb, but it's the offseason after one of my worst periods of depression. So don't go killing my joy, reality can do that later on down the line.

run-david-run
01-26-2006, 08:27 PM
I think we'll be all right. This past season has made everybody extremely negative. I think the majority of people here think the coaching was a major problem in 2005; well, the coaches are gone and it looks like we're getting at least a competent staff to replace them. However, last season has left such a bad taste in everyone's mouths that many seem to think we are still going to be just as bad without a major overhaul in talent - in other words they don't really trust the coaching was the cause. They know it in their heads, but not their hearts.

I don't think that the talent is that bad. I think our players were much closer to the almost .500 team of 2004; I'm confident they will be eager to show that in 2006. We have decent players, we'll now have decent schemes and we'll put the best players on the field - two things our coaches didn't do last year.

So with the good coaching and just one or two good acquisitions, I think we'll be at least .500 next year, with another good leap in 2007 as everybody gets comfortable as a team and is ready to let loose.

We need to put 2005 behind us - it was the aberration caused by coaching. If we have to consider the slide at the end of 2004, that was the coaching too.
Lets hope you are right...but the one thing that worries me is that, other then Palmer, we had the same coaches and system in place in 04, yet we went 7-9. I relaize we lost a lot of close games this season which easaly could have put us closer to .500, but we cant blame this entire season on coaching, can we?

tsip
01-26-2006, 08:29 PM
Kubiak's success should be determined by 2 of Caper's weaknesses, (1) philosophies and (2) teaching. He has had the benefit of working very closely for a long time with one of the best HC in the NFL and -hopefully- has learned both the good and the bad. If he can be open-minded and learn from his mistakes, as well as the input from coaches/players, that will be a plus. McNair has already said he does not want another '4 yds and a cloud of dust' HC, nor a HC that sits on a lead--how many fans have mentioned this? A bunch. It goes without saying that 'coaching not to lose' must be a thing of the past. Too, coaching equals teaching which equals a game by game plan that puts our players in the best possible position to win that weeks game.

However, Kubiak's biggest challenge may come from within in that to be the 'top dog' IMO, you've got to want it with every fiber of your soul-finally, let's hope we've seen the last of the 'concrete' beliefs that never change--

TexanBacker93
01-26-2006, 08:39 PM

Umm...I'm pretty sure Billick was a coach in a previous life. Does that count?

Runner
01-26-2006, 08:51 PM
Lets hope you are right...but the one thing that worries me is that, other then Palmer, we had the same coaches and system in place in 04, yet we went 7-9. I relaize we lost a lot of close games this season which easaly could have put us closer to .500, but we cant blame this entire season on coaching, can we?

I really think on the offensive side it was almost all coaching. Admittedly the defensive side lost a couple of key players in Sharper and Glenn.

This is a bit of a conspiracy theory, but it is reflected in corporate politics just about everywhere. I don't think Capers and Palmer saw eye to eye, so Capers brought in his friend and former o-coordinator to coach the o-line. I believe that Pendry was a very poor line coach, and he also undermined Palmer where possible. During games in 2004 he would rant and rave over play calling on the sidelines. I think offensively the Texans started out decently in 2004 and then tapered in the second half of the season as Pendry's poisonous influence spread.

Then in 2005 he started Riley at LT, and that among other offensive changes (away from Plamer's style toward more conservatism) affected play enough so that Palmer was fired for having an incompetent system. Sadly, the line never recovered from Pendry's machinations. It was also to the Texans' detriment that Pendry was not able to install any kind of working offense once he got the OC position he coveted. In reality, none of our lineman played better as pass blockers as the season went on. The playbook just got simpler and simpler until passing turned into long handoffs.

I don't know how complicit Capers was in all this; he certainly didn't seem to stop either of his coordinators from making poor decisions.

So I believe that the coaching change will have immediate, positive benefits of a decent magnitude on the offensive side. I think that we still need to add some talent on defense, but the defensive schemes last year were no better than those on the offense. I expect improvements in the defense too, if only due to coaching that allows them to play aggressively.

This of course was an editorial, not a news report.

Mr. White
01-26-2006, 10:55 PM
When Palmer was here, I used to blame him for the poor play call selection. What I've gathered after Capers' firing is that the offensive plays called were a result of his conservative coaching philosophy. I think as a result, the Defense suffered the most because Capers was too busy micro-managing the Offense.

(Also an editorial.)

bayshorebevo
01-26-2006, 11:08 PM
Look here captain obvious (that would be you bayshorebevo) Of course there is a risk that Kubiak could bomb, but it's the offseason after one of my worst periods of depression. So don't go killing my joy, reality can do that later on down the line.

not saying kubiak is going to bomb, lieutenant too emotional to grasp something beyond your comfort zone (that would be you, dat-boy-yec). after last year, is there not anybody else out there who thinks it might take a little more than a coach to right the ship? it's going to take something from the players as well.

edo783
01-26-2006, 11:13 PM
I have come to the conclusion and have stated it here before, that our coaching staff was dysfunctional and truly incompetent. They had a MAJOR effect on the club and couple that with an O-line that was quit possibly the worst in NFL history and that is a recipe for disaster. I think about mid season of 04 the players realized they were on the Titanic and it was being captained by Larry, Moe and Curly and pretty much mailed it in in 05. The first order of buisness will be to get the teams confidence back and I think that will come from the coaching staff having an inovative and agressive attitude and schemes. Guys would MUCH rather play agressivly and that will pump them up.

samomin
01-26-2006, 11:17 PM
Kubiak's success will depend on his choice of defense coordinator. We know he can coach the offense. I am happy we chose Kubiak because he seems like a person whom the players will like. But until we officially announce a DC I will be a little worried.

Big B Texan Fan
01-26-2006, 11:59 PM
Yeah yeah what ever. VY has never been a pro QB but you don't mind singing his praises. We don't know if he will be any good or not either. Lot of difference between being a good college QB and a good pro QB. I am sure that whatever team drafts VY has room on board for you.
You sure do act like this team has been around as long as the Steelers, Packers, Bears, etc....If we don't think we owe them crap,.....then we don't owe them crap!!!!!!!!
They've nothing to earn my allegiance yet I blindly follow. Kinda like how Carr was handed the starting job without any comp behind him I've become a Texans fan without any other team on my mind. Ya know, home team, it's my duty to cheer for them, born and raised Houstonian. That was my first mistake. I mean if the home team doesn't even want one of their own (BPA in MHO) then why should I think that they want me as a fan. And beating Dallas on opening night. The equity is up my friend. This team has squandered away draft pick after draft pick (15 possible 2nd and 3rd rd' pix and only one decent starter out of the bunch, Pitts). They've let guys walk who have been major contrbutors on their new team. Heck, one of them Wrecked our Carr out of most of season 2.
Until this team starts making sound football decisions, I'll just leave my allegiance on hold. I don't know where my heart will take me as far as who to cheer for after draft day. I thought I'd be a Texans fans first and a Titans fan 2nd but after the 10-19 game we won I had involuntarilly dropped the Titans like a hot rock. Now I'm so mad/upset cuz we've screwed everything so far, and I've invested 4 years, what am I supposed to believe, that Kubes is the be all end all and will single handedly fix the Carr Crash that we've witnessed the past 4 seasons. Hard to believe.
It's similar to that girlfriend/boyfriend we all had back in the day that we started dating because he/she was our neighbor and our current boyfriend/girlfriend that we thought was the one we'd spend the rest of our lives with had to move away (to Tenn). Then all of a sudden the new one starts to screw up but we keep taking the crap (for 4 years). Then all of a sudden the old one comes back for New Years break or something and after a few weekends is asking you to marry him/her? Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.:confused:

texan279
01-27-2006, 12:11 AM

Just because he has never been a head coach before means nothing. Capers was a head coach before coming here and look at the bang up job he did here in four years. On the flipside, look at what Lovie Smith has done for the Bears in two seasons as a first time head coach.

dirty steve
01-27-2006, 12:21 AM
You sure do act like this team has been around as long as the Steelers, Packers, Bears, etc....If we don't think we owe them crap,.....then we don't owe them crap!!!!!!!!
They've nothing to earn my allegiance yet I blindly follow. Kinda like how Carr was handed the starting job without any comp behind him I've become a Texans fan without any other team on my mind. Ya know, home team, it's duty to cheer for them, born and raised Houstonian. That was my first mistake. I mean if the home team doesn't even want one of their own (BPA in MHO) then why should I think that they want me as a fan. And beating Dallas on opening night. The equity is up my friend. This team has squandered away draft pick after draft pick (15 possible 2nd and 3rd rd' pix and only one decent starter out of the bunch, Pitts). They've let guys walk who have been major contrbutors on their new team. Heck, one of them Wrecked our Carr out of most of season 2.
Until this team starts making sound football decisions, I'll just leave my allegiance on hold. I don't know where my heart will take me as far as who to cheer for after draft day. I thought I'd be a Texans fans first and a Titans fan 2nd but after the 10-19 game we won I had involuntarilly dropped the Titans like a hot rock. Now I'm so mad/upset cuz we've screwed everything so far, and I've invested 4 years, what am I supposed to believe, that Kubes is the be all end all and will single handedly fix the Carr Crash that we've witnessed the past 4 seasons. Hard to believe.
It's similar to that girlfriend/boyfriend we all had back in the day that we started dating because he/she was our neighbor and our current boyfriend/girlfriend that we thought was the one we'd spend the rest of our lives with had to move away (to Tenn). Then all of a sudden the new one starts to screw up but we keep taking the crap (for 4 years). Then all of a sudden the old one comes back for New Years break or something and after a few weekends is asking you to marry him/her? Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.:confused:

GET THE F OVER IT!!! gary kubiak has been the HC of the Texans for about 12 hours now and you are already hating on him. just say you hating on Kubes just because he doesn't sound like he wants to take Vincent Young and get it over with. how many plays on David Carr's name are you going to use? i think everybody got your point after the first one used. what gary kubiak deserves is at least a chance to come in here and right the mishandlings of the previous staff.

you are no better than anybody else on this MB that wants us to take Vincent Young blindly (not all of you). his position is simply one of need on the team now. the Texans don't have anything against him personally, they just might believe (and Kubiak sure made it sound like) he might be able to turn Carr around.

you should give them your allegiance because you have (alledgedly) rooted for them since their inception, a whole four years ago. you should root for them because they are your team, no matter what. if you can't wait longer than four years for a winner, then try being a bengals or seahwaks fan. i am sure there are fans there that have been through the bad years and now get to bask in the glow of both of their teams making the playoffs this year. you should not be able to do the same if/when the Texans make the playoffs. giving up after four whole years. weak.

again, just say this is a "want VY" post and quit wasting people's time who actually want to read about other sharing their thoughts on Kubiak.

Hookem Horns
01-27-2006, 12:42 AM
They've nothing to earn my allegiance yet I blindly follow. Kinda like how Carr was handed the starting job without any comp behind him I've become a Texans fan without any other team on my mind. Ya know, home team, it's my duty to cheer for them, born and raised Houstonian. That was my first mistake. I mean if the home team doesn't even want one of their own (BPA in MHO) then why should I think that they want me as a fan. And beating Dallas on opening night. The equity is up my friend. This team has squandered away draft pick after draft pick (15 possible 2nd and 3rd rd' pix and only one decent starter out of the bunch, Pitts). They've let guys walk who have been major contrbutors on their new team. Heck, one of them Wrecked our Carr out of most of season 2.

How can you say the Texans don't want you as a fan because they don't want "one of theirs"? With that attitude how could you root for the sorry Titans? They obviously didn't want you or any of us as fans. Leaving the city probably says a little more than not drafting a hometown guy. BTW, that "girlfriend" didn't just move to Tennessee, she ran off with some toothless hillbilly and left you behind. How any Houstonian can root for the Titans is beyond me. I began hating them the day they announced they were leaving. This is why I don't want them getting VY. I am pretty convinced he is going to be great at the NFL level and seeing him come to Houston and beating us as Bud laughs is going to be a bit much for this x-Oiler fan to take.

bigtex77
01-27-2006, 07:49 AM

Just me or does this sound like a Yogi Berra quote?

Just giving you a hard time Hardcore, I understand the point you're making.

bullman
01-27-2006, 07:53 AM
not saying kubiak is going to bomb, lieutenant too emotional to grasp something beyond your comfort zone (that would be you, dat-boy-yec). after last year, is there not anybody else out there who thinks it might take a little more than a coach to right the ship? it's going to take something from the players as well.
The texans are drafting VY so get the F@@@@@@ over it, if we draft VY he will be a big bust like Warren Moon!!!!!!!!!!!! Kubiak will stay will a mature QB and not immature one.

bigtex77
01-27-2006, 07:58 AM
The texans are drafting VY so get the F@@@@@@ over it, if we draft VY he will be a big bust like Warren Moon!!!!!!!!!!!! Kubiak will stay will a mature QB and not immature one.

What? :confused:

Kaiser Toro
01-27-2006, 08:02 AM
Lets stay on topic without the emotional namecalling in virtual parlance.

HJam72
01-27-2006, 08:02 AM

Yeah, what he said! And, if we take Bush, he will be a bust like Earl Campbell!!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

HJam72
01-27-2006, 08:04 AM
...emotional namecalling in virtual parlance.

OK, the "emotional namecalling in virtual parlance" is making more sense to me (sort of) than that phrase is. :)

Oh, and Kubiak is gonna be a ********* and a ********* and a bust just like Belichick!!!!!!!!!!!!

bullman
01-27-2006, 08:05 AM
What? :confused:
What I mean is the Texans will not draft VY, he is not ready for the NFL, he should have stayed at UT another year like Leinhart, Kubiak will make the smart choice and keep Carr, VY should not even be a QB, but a reciever

bigtex77
01-27-2006, 08:06 AM
Lets stay on topic without the emotional namecalling in virtual parlance.

Kaiser, i'll be more than happy to stay on topic, but apparently i'm not smart enough to know what the rest of that means! :confused:

bigtex77
01-27-2006, 08:08 AM
What I mean is the Texans will not draft VY, he is not ready for the NFL, he should have stayed at UT another year like Leinhart, Kubiak will make the smart choice and keep Carr, VY should not even be a QB, but a reciever

OK gotcha, I figured there was some sarcasm in there, but it just threw me off a little. Sorry. :ok:

HJam72
01-27-2006, 08:09 AM
In five years, the 4 best wide-outs in the NFL may be AJ, Mathis, Bush, and Young, lol.

bigtex77
01-27-2006, 08:12 AM
In five years, the 4 best wide-outs in the NFL may be AJ, Mathis, Bush, and Young, lol.

Personally, I think Young will be a good/great QB, i'm just not sure he is the right choice for us.

FILO_girl
01-27-2006, 10:18 AM
all i was saying was that people are jumping up and down like they are positive we have the next vince lombardi. i hope we do. just saying we have no way of knowing that yet.

He has 3 rings, and NFL experience at a successful franchise. I think that it is logical for fans to draw the conclusion that we may have hit the motherload and things just might turn around for the positive next season. :)

I don't think he is necessarily the messiah, but he may be the guy to lead us to the SB promise land in a couple years. Who knows, but at this point in time for any Texans fan, let us dream. We have earned the right to dream. :redtowel:

DRAMA
01-27-2006, 11:24 AM
It's half-empty - it's half-empty!!!!!!!!!!

:confused:

4Texans
01-27-2006, 12:30 PM
We know Kubiak has been a great OC, and has had a lot of success being an assistant coach. You're right, we don't know how he's going to be as a Head Coach. I look at it this way. In today's NFL, and the "Win Now" attitude, guys like Tom Landry and Chuck Noll wouldn't has lasted long enough to take their teams to the SB. If you put Landry's first 4 years up against Capers first 4 years with the Texans, Landry would have been fired also. Capers may have taken the Texans to the Playoffs, but we'll never know.

Just like everyone is judging the top draft picks on potential, Kubiak's got the potential to be a great HC. At least our offense should be more exciting. And I was a fan of Dom Capers. I just wish he would have gotten rid of his Coordinators sooner.

chall8
01-27-2006, 01:03 PM
Holy cow, we have some sensitive posters up here.

All the original post said was that Kubiak isn't a sure thing. I agree. There just aren't many sure things in the NFL.

That being said, I feel great about the Kubiak hire. I think he'll do great here.

What I do NOT believe, as many up here seemingly do, is that he's going to magically "coach" David Carr into the next John Elway. Ain't going to happen; you may as well lower your expectations right now and think more along the lines of a Jake Plummer-type. Not terrible, not great, but a serviceable NFL QB.

And in my opinion, a serviceable QB isn't going to lead anyone to a Super Bowl. Hope I'm proven wrong.

tulexan
01-27-2006, 01:05 PM
A serviceable QB won't lead you to a Super Bowl, but you can win a Super Bowl with a serviceable QB.

SBTexans08
01-27-2006, 01:15 PM
It's already been said that all of the 32 other coaches in the NFL were never H.C.s when they became a H.C.

I agree with you on that we don't know if we got ourselves a recent version of Vince Lombardi.........but then I ask you, how do you know that we don't? It goes both ways.

See....truth is, us as Texans fans just went through hell....or as close to it in our opinion and seeing as the ex-coaching staff didn't address the obvious needs...just news about him packing his bags after the last game was a breath of fresh air. Then...news breaks out that the Texans are going after an Offensive Coordinator from one of the most respected run game teams, also an individual who has helped develop Steve Young, John Elway, and the unthinkable....Jake Plummer. This Kubiak guy was the conductor for some impressive offenses that were and have been highly regarded as some of the best. The conductor of what is known as the offense that has the knack of making almost anyone a 1,000 yrd back. Throw on top of that 2 back to back Super Bowls.

Buddy....Kubiak has a very impressive resume. Not only that....but if it is the Texans' decision to stay with Carr.....most are pretty confident that Kubiak will do a good job in salvaging what was a highly valued pick. It's sad to see the pick on Carr wasted that way. If Kubiak can salvage it....which history points to him being able to......then of course you're going to have people hyped up, not only about this....but of the possibilities!

4Texans
01-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Ya Know, I'm excited just to see what a coaching change is going to do for the players we have on this team. You can't tell me that some of the veteran players that came from other teams totally forgot how to play football. (That statement should get a few replies)

And as I said before, I was a Capers fan, just not his of his AC's....

tsip
01-27-2006, 03:58 PM
We know Kubiak has been a great OC, and has had a lot of success being an assistant coach. You're right, we don't know how he's going to be as a Head Coach. I look at it this way. In today's NFL, and the "Win Now" attitude, guys like Tom Landry and Chuck Noll wouldn't has lasted long enough to take their teams to the SB. If you put Landry's first 4 years up against Capers first 4 years with the Texans, Landry would have been fired also. Capers may have taken the Texans to the Playoffs, but we'll never know.

Just like everyone is judging the top draft picks on potential, Kubiak's got the potential to be a great HC. At least our offense should be more exciting. And I was a fan of Dom Capers. I just wish he would have gotten rid of his Coordinators sooner.

IMO, Caper's undoing was all about his philosophies and unwillingness to change--knowing this, any successful coordinator would not have come here as long as Capers was HC. And, now, he's Special Assistant to the HC--not Asst HC or coordinator of any kind or even a position coach!? Miami's website said he took the job for a year (also said with little authority) hoping for something better to come a long---who were the 5 teams that offered him a DC job?

4Texans
01-27-2006, 04:15 PM
IMO, Caper's undoing was all about his philosophies and unwillingness to change--knowing this, any successful coordinator would not have come here as long as Capers was HC. And, now, he's Special Assistant to the HC--not Asst HC or coordinator of any kind or even a position coach!? Miami's website said he took the job for a year (also said with little authority) hoping for something better to come a long---who were the 5 teams that offered him a DC job?

I have to agree with what Gary Walker said on Sports 610 the day after Capers was fired. "Dom wasn't fired for what Dom did. Dom was fired for what his coordinators did." Dom's downfall was letting his coordinators run the show and him not stepping in and making the changes. Walker said that the defense they ran was not the 3-4 that they ran in Jacksonville when he was DC and they had so much success. The Texans ran Fangios version of it. I think other coordinators would have come here, especially if they realized how much free reign and support Dom gave them. Pendry was out of Football until Dom called him. Wade Phillips could have kept his job in Buffalo if he would have fired Pendry. Fangio got the HC in Indy fired before Dungy, because the Defense was awful.

Anyone know what Pendry and Fangio are doing now?

tsip
01-27-2006, 05:07 PM
I have to agree with what Gary Walker said on Sports 610 the day after Capers was fired. "Dom wasn't fired for what Dom did. Dom was fired for what his coordinators did." Dom's downfall was letting his coordinators run the show and him not stepping in and making the changes. Walker said that the defense they ran was not the 3-4 that they ran in Jacksonville when he was DC and they had so much success. The Texans ran Fangios version of it. I think other coordinators would have come here, especially if they realized how much free reign and support Dom gave them. Pendry was out of Football until Dom called him. Wade Phillips could have kept his job in Buffalo if he would have fired Pendry. Fangio got the HC in Indy fired before Dungy, because the Defense was awful.

Anyone know what Pendry and Fangio are doing now?

First, if Capers could not control his coordinators, he had to go--a HC dictates the team's flow, not the subs. Personally, I don't think this is a good 'knock' to have on your resume--'unable to get effective results from my assistants.Result---Fired. Second, it was Wade's ST coach he got the axe over, though several other Bill's Coaches (including Pendry) were 'toast' as well. Third, I still believe it was Capers that controled/limited his assistants and not the other way around but--thank goodness--that is all history...