PDA

View Full Version : Donald Drivers interview with Stephen A. Smith

SBTexans08
01-26-2006, 12:33 PM
Driver was on quite frankly with Steven A. Smith yesterday. I think it was a new episode. Anyhow, he said if he couldn't be back in GB, that the first place he would want to go to play would be the Texans. He said thats his home town, and he's always wanted to play for his home town/state. He said he didn't care what shape the organization was in, he'd still be more than willing to go there. That would be an amazing pickup IMO.

O, and he said he would want Vince Young as his QB if he went there

O.G.
01-26-2006, 12:35 PM
Driver was on quite frankly with Steven A. Smith yesterday. I think it was a new episode. Anyhow, he said if he couldn't be back in GB, that the first place he would want to go to play would be the Texans. He said thats his home town, and he's always wanted to play for his home town/state. He said he didn't care what shape the organization was in, he'd still be more than willing to go there. That would be an amazing pickup IMO.

O, and he said he would want Vince Young as his QB if he went there

Can someone say 2nd Receiver......

SBTexans08
01-26-2006, 12:37 PM

I went to school with Donal Driver. Milby High School baby!

Glacier
01-26-2006, 12:43 PM
scary....

AJ, Donald Driver, Dominack Davis and....(anyone but Carr) cutler/VY/Leinhart.

infantrycak
01-26-2006, 12:48 PM
scary....

Fine, the entire MB understands you and a number of other people don't like Carr. We get it--there is no need to polute every thread with an anti-Carr statement. By the way, from the Kubiack/McNair interviews today, it looks like about a 1% chance Carr isn't going to be the QB.

SBTexans08
01-26-2006, 12:49 PM
scary....

I was just about to pose a question in this regard. Tentative on a trade of course in order to acquire Driver...

Would you prefer....

Carr, Bush, Davis & Johnson

or

Young, Davis, Driver & Johnson, and the extra draft pick (should be a 1st rnd) for trading Carr, which could turn into a 1st round LB, OL, Ledell White, etc.

Glacier
01-26-2006, 12:51 PM
Fine, the entire MB understands you and a number of other people don't like Carr. We get it--there is no need to polute every thread with an anti-Carr statement. By the way, from the Kubiack/McNair interviews today, it looks like about a 1% chance Carr isn't going to be the QB.

yea, i gathered.

the good news is that functional vet free agent QBs hit the market all the time. there is hope after Kubiak fails to "save" Carr. Maybe they will have Reggie and an O line to help groom a later 1st round pick in the future like a Big Ben.

O.G.
01-26-2006, 12:55 PM

And an 95% Chance of getting Bush or trading down. Also like the fact with 610 talking to McNair, that McNair is giving Kubiak someone the reins in personnel. He said it wouldn't be fair to ask him to do a job and not give him what he would need to succeed. McNair said that they didn't give Carr what needed to succeed and pointed out Tom Brady. He said Brady was an all world QB, but in the playoff with average talent surrounded looked sub-par.

Glacier
01-26-2006, 12:56 PM
I was just about to pose a question in this regard. Tentative on a trade of course in order to acquire Driver...

Would you prefer....

or

Young, Davis, Driver & Johnson, and the extra draft pick (should be a 1st rnd) for trading Carr, which could turn into a 1st round LB, OL, Ledell White, etc.

Well....

Thats an interesting question. It has pretty much been proven that a monster QB alone can't win by himself. (Marino and Elway pre TD). Like wise, a monster RB does not seem to be enough to win alone either. (Barry Sanders, LT)

Rarely, a defense will win you one - Ravens.

It is, at the end of the day, a team sport so, balance is a good thing. Need just enough O to out score the other team and just enough D to keep the ball in your O's hands.

In the case of Manning up in Indy...i dont know WTF is wrong with that team. They have enough D, they have all the offensive talent in the world...they have a good HC.....*shrug*

Glacier
01-26-2006, 12:58 PM
He said Brady was an all world QB, but in the playoff with average talent surrounded looked sub-par.

yea, I don't understand this statement. it the same offensive talent he has had all along. Last I checked, his receivers were all the same, his RBs were the same and his tight end was upgraded.....

the difference with NE this year is, they had too many injuries and losses on the defensive side of the ball to compete, imho.

El Tejano
01-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Isn't Donald Driver a cancer in the locker room. I do have to say that getting Driver to come back to Texas is a nice consolation for not having Vince Young in a Texans uniform.

TheOgre
01-26-2006, 01:00 PM
I do like the idea of AJ and Driver starting with Mathis our slot receiver and a nice rookie TE. That just has some great potential there (regardless of what we do at QB and RB).

Htown34s
01-26-2006, 01:01 PM
and the extra draft pick (should be a 1st rnd) for trading Carr, which could turn into a 1st round LB, OL, Ledell White, etc.

Unfortunately, we can't get a 1st rounder for Carr in a trade.

Glacier
01-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Isn't Donald Driver a cancer in the locker room. I do have to say that getting Driver to come back to Texas is a nice consolation for not having Vince Young in a Texans uniform.

the guy just wanted to be paid at the level he was performing. It wasn't a case like TO where he had just signed a big contract for big money and wanted more.

SBTexans08
01-26-2006, 01:03 PM
Unfortunately, we can't get a 1st rounder for Carr in a trade.
never know.... Coaches don't think the same as regular spectators and neither do they see the same things for face value as spectators. Coaches have a wiser frame of thought and see things we don't want to or can't see.

SBTexans08
01-26-2006, 01:05 PM
the guy just wanted to be paid at the level he was performing. It wasn't a case like TO where he had just signed a big contract for big money and wanted more.
Ummm....that was Javon Walker last off-season, not Donal Driver. Driver is real low-key with a whole lot of talent.

powerfuldragon
01-26-2006, 01:06 PM
we're not going to trade carr, so all of you can hush. If driver comes to the team, we'd have two sets of double d's with which we will wreak havoc on opposing defenses. that's all i have to say on this.

O.G.
01-26-2006, 01:06 PM
yea, I don't understand this statement. it the same offensive talent he has had all along. Last I checked, his receivers were all the same, his RBs were the same and his tight end was upgraded.....

the difference with NE this year is, they had too many injuries and losses on the defensive side of the ball to compete, imho.

Same can be said about the Texans and we wen't 2-14. In fact, we added a pro-bowl kick off returner. Basically what I got from his statement was that Denver in the playoffs made Brady and NE look like they were playing the Texans in a regular season game.

HardKnockTexan
01-26-2006, 01:07 PM
never know.... Coaches don't think the same as regular spectators and neither do they see the same things for face value as spectators. Coaches have a wiser frame of thought and see things we don't want to or can't see.

the good coaches do atleast.

Glacier
01-26-2006, 01:07 PM
Ummm....that was Javon Walker last off-season, not Donal Driver. Driver is real low-key with a whole lot of talent.

hmm....well, that makes it even better. i thought it was driver who was pushing for a new contract last year. I'm not much of a GB fan.

Kaiser Toro
01-26-2006, 01:09 PM

Who in their right mind would trade for that contract? That is the question. Many people on this board do not frame the discussion around contract and output.

Carr appears to be Kubiak's guy and I hope, maybe even pray, that Kubiak is the magician that I think he is. Sherman should be huge in this equation as well bringing more synergy between the Oline and QB.

BigBull17
01-26-2006, 01:10 PM

Would you prefer....

or

But when you trade Carr you get alot of dead cap space. Where are you gonna get the money to sign your draft picks?

infantrycak
01-26-2006, 01:24 PM

The difference this year is also having two rookies on the OL, one due to a FA departure and one due to injury.

infantrycak
01-26-2006, 01:28 PM
Who in their right mind would trade for that contract? That is the question. Many people on this board do not frame the discussion around contract and output.

Actually Carr's contract situation makes a trade easier. In order to trade him and have his current contract (your scenario rather than a franchise and trade deal which would involve a new contract negotiated with the new team) the Texans would have to pay the bonus and more importantly for this discussion, take the entire bonus hit on their cap. The new team gets Carr with zero money invested and no guaranteed cap hit or money. His base salaries are around NFL QB average--it is only with the bonus included that he becomes a significantly more than average paid QB.

Porky
01-26-2006, 01:50 PM
What's drivers contract situation? Is he a FA? If so is he an UFA? If so, let's get him. He is a pretty good WR, more than good enough as our #2 with AJ, Gaff and Mathis rounding out the top 4, and Bush and DD in the backfield, and (hopefully) a real TE. That's a lot of weapons, and Carr will be out of the excuse business.

SBTexans08
01-26-2006, 01:53 PM
What's drivers contract situation? Is he a FA? If so is he an UFA? If so, let's get him. He is a pretty good WR, more than good enough as our #2 with AJ, Gaff and Mathis rounding out the top 4, and Bush and DD in the backfield, and (hopefully) a real TE. That's a lot of weapons, and Carr will be out of the excuse business.
Yup....and then, without a doubt....he'd have to be given the boot. After that....there's absolutely no room for excuses. Oh yeah...we forgot the O-line...http://www.xgpgaming.com/forums/images/smilies/redface.gif

El Tejano
01-26-2006, 01:56 PM
we're not going to trade carr, so all of you can hush. If driver comes to the team, we'd have two sets of double d's with which we will wreak havoc on opposing defenses. that's all i have to say on this.
And that my friend is never a bad thing.

ccdude730
01-26-2006, 01:59 PM
And that my friend is never a bad thing.
:rofl: amen to that!

infantrycak
01-26-2006, 02:03 PM
What's drivers contract situation? Is he a FA? If so is he an UFA?

He isn't a FA. He signed a 5 year contract extension after the 2002 season so he is signed thru the 2007 season. UFA is the only kind of FA he could be by the way, because RFA only applies to players with less than 4 accrued NFL seasons.

Kaiser Toro
01-26-2006, 02:07 PM
Actually Carr's contract situation makes a trade easier. In order to trade him and have his current contract (your scenario rather than a franchise and trade deal which would involve a new contract negotiated with the new team) the Texans would have to pay the bonus and more importantly for this discussion, take the entire bonus hit on their cap. The new team gets Carr with zero money invested and no guaranteed cap hit or money. His base salaries are around NFL QB average--it is only with the bonus included that he becomes a significantly more than average paid QB.

My mistake, we take the cap hit and the other club would take the cap hit for who they would be unloading. In essence you have to find a club that has a player(s) with a similar contract. This is not common in the NFL where it is common in the NBA.

infantrycak
01-26-2006, 02:15 PM
This is not common in the NFL where it is common in the NBA.

Exactly. Most teams simply aren't in a position to eat the unprorated bonus amounts except for players in the last couple years of their contracts. Teams would love to trade for such players but most teams just can't do it or won't carry that dead money. By the way, the Texans benefited from this on the Buchanon trade (maybe the only thing they benefited from on that trade so far)--the Raiders took his full 1st rounder bonus hit on their cap and we aren't into Buchanon for anything but his base salaries.

Texans_Chick
01-26-2006, 02:34 PM
Exactly. Most teams simply aren't in a position to eat the unprorated bonus amounts except for players in the last couple years of their contracts. Teams would love to trade for such players but most teams just can't do it or won't carry that dead money. By the way, the Texans benefited from this on the Buchanon trade (maybe the only thing they benefited from on that trade so far)--the Raiders took his full 1st rounder bonus hit on their cap and we aren't into Buchanon for anything but his base salaries.

OK, sportsfans, who are teams that might want: 1. David Carr; 2. A good player that the Texans might want but that team would want to unload who also has dead money?

Not that I actually think that would happen. McNair made it pretty dang clear without saying it explicitly that we are not going to draft VY. No surprise there.

infantrycak
01-26-2006, 02:40 PM
OK, sportsfans, who are teams that might want: 1. David Carr; 2. A good player that the Texans might want but that team would want to unload who also has dead money?

Not that I actually think that would happen. McNair made it pretty dang clear without saying it explicitly that we are not going to draft VY. No surprise there.

I'n not suggesting Carr is going to be shopped much less traded. In fact, I would bet the Texans have no intention of even shopping Carr. I was merely discussing some of the cap implications for trades.

Kaiser Toro
01-26-2006, 03:25 PM
I'n not suggesting Carr is going to be shopped much less traded. In fact, I would bet the Texans have no intention of even shopping Carr. I was merely discussing some of the cap implications for trades.

I believe Carr moving is a moot point at this juncture as well.

Texans_Chick
01-26-2006, 03:32 PM

Yeah it is a moot point, but I was just wondering if we were to want to do some shopping, who would be some candidates?

You know, as kind of a hypothetical what we coulda done situation.

bigcarlos
01-26-2006, 06:31 PM

Would you prefer.....

Carr, Bush, Davis & Johnson:crying:

or

:superman: :redtowel:

Samer
01-26-2006, 10:57 PM
What would GB want for Driver, I'd love to see Carr, Davis, Johnson, & Driver. If GB doesnt demand much, we could possibly have Carr, Davis, Bush, Johnson, Driver, Gaffney, & Mathis, how good would that be, kind of reminds me of Indi minus the O'line

Mightymike
01-26-2006, 11:01 PM
great interview
driver actually came to my middle school about 3 years ago and spoke about his journey

HardKnockTexan
01-26-2006, 11:03 PM
What would GB want for Driver, I'd love to see Carr, Davis, Johnson, & Driver. If GB doesnt demand much, we could possibly have Carr, Davis, Bush, Johnson, Driver, Gaffney, & Mathis, how good would that be, kind of reminds me of Indi minus the O'line

Sounds pretty sweet to me!:ok:

bayshorebevo
01-26-2006, 11:39 PM
packers need running backs real bad. they were down to 5th string last yr.

Big B Texan Fan
01-27-2006, 12:12 AM
If he said when asked which QB he wanted was VY, then there's ZERO chance he'll wind up here.
The Carr coddlin' remains. They will not bring in someone who will make their baby :crying:
This will be the second stone tossed in the Kubes era where they make a bone-headed move to protect heir decision they made in 02'.

LoneStarState
01-27-2006, 12:21 AM
It's becoming painfully obvious that a lot of the pie-in-the-sky posters here who have dreamed up ellaborate plans for trading picks and players have been playing WAY TOO MUCH fantasy football... It's a tad different in the real world...

LoneStarState
01-27-2006, 12:58 AM
I'm just sick of the incessant boohooing and blaming of Carr since a few Texas fans might not get their way.
If there was a smilie for hitting the nail on the head, I would post it here...