PDA

View Full Version : Pariani bolts SU for NFL job with Texans

Double Barrel
01-25-2006, 05:54 PM
Pariani bolts SU for NFL job with Texans

He leaves after one year here to coach tight ends for new Houston coach Kubiak.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006
By Donnie Webb
Staff writer

Brian Pariani's troubled run as offensive coordinator for the Syracuse University football team is one and done.

Pariani is leaving the Orange to take a position coaching the tight ends for new coach Gary Kubiak of the NFL's Houston Texans, according to the Houston Chronicle and the Rocky Mountain News.

An announcement from the team should come in the next few days. The Texans have yet to formally announce they've hired Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak as their head coach. A news conference is scheduled Thursday.

Source / Rest of Story (http://www.syracuse.com/sports/poststandard/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1138183704146230.xml&coll=1)

jacquescas
01-25-2006, 06:21 PM
sounds good. alot of coaches get in over their head being coordinators and head coaches when they are betteer suited for having a lesser positon.

one example i think Mike Martz is an amazing offensive coordinator, but i wouldn't want him as a head coach.

kbourda
01-25-2006, 08:59 PM
Excellent. Now all we need are TE's that make a difference.

edo783
01-25-2006, 09:46 PM
Excellent. Now all we need are TE's that make a difference.

True that. I commented on another thread that it looks like Kubes is loading up on coaching talent that has a LOT of TE and LB experience. Perhaps he has already identified a couple of possible problem areas. :rolleyes:

Double Barrel
01-25-2006, 09:56 PM
I think Kubiak will install a lot of things that we haven't seen in four years. TE as an offensive weapon being one of them. I'm stoked to get a new system in that will have some diversity to it. :redtowel: FINALLY!

Grid
01-25-2006, 10:11 PM
I wonder if Pope, Lewis, Klopfenstenfenstein, or Davis is in our future.

Hardcore Texan
01-25-2006, 11:34 PM
So now we know Pariani will be TE Coach. Where do we stand on the OC & DC. Is DC basically between Bates/Gray now? And OC, I think Dennison was the last name I heard. Is this right?

BuffSoldier
01-25-2006, 11:37 PM
I wonder if Pope, Lewis, Klopfenstenfenstein, or Davis is in our future.

Maybe Fasano too

edo783
01-25-2006, 11:44 PM
So now we know Pariani will be TE Coach. Where do we stand on the OC & DC. Is DC basically between Bates/Gray now? And OC, I think Dennison was the last name I heard. Is this right?

Not sure about the DC thing, but now that Himmerdinger has been released by the NYJ, he is the most likely candidate for the OC job in Denver. If that happens, Denver MIGHT be more inclined to let Dinnison go as I think he was the "Plan B" option at OC if Himmerdinger wasn't able to come to Denver. I suspect we will have to give up a late round pick though.

mexican_texan
01-25-2006, 11:49 PM
Syracuse? They did worse than we did!:confused:

YoungTexanFan
01-25-2006, 11:54 PM
Syracuse? They did worse than we did!:confused:

I want very little to do with these underachieving coaches like capers.

He can have a small role on our team, and since we dont even have a capable TE yet, he can have that role.

DC and OC are MAJOR concerns for me. He seems to be bringing in guys who have previous ties to him only. We need the best at those two vacant spots that we can find.

TEXANRED
01-26-2006, 08:13 AM
I keep hearing Sherman. How great would that be?!

Spoda
01-26-2006, 08:19 AM
TE coach??? **sniffle** does this mean? **sniffle** that we may see an NFL caliber TE on the **sniffle** texans?? i'm so happy!!

Txn_in_Oki
01-26-2006, 08:25 AM
TE coach???

Yes, we are getting a tight end coach. Unfortunatly he will go down with an injury to his clip board hand during the first game of the preseason.

:ok:

Texans_Chick
01-26-2006, 03:56 PM
Given how much Carr liked to throw to the TE his first couple of years, this could be an exceedingly good hire: 1. a TE coach who is really experienced coaching TE's (S.F. and Denver); 2. someone who has a good relationship with Kubiak and understands the way he likes to do things.

I thought that this info was interesting: "He is one of only 15 NFL coaches ever to win a World Championship with two different organizations, and one of just nine ever to win a title with a team from each conference. "

Here's a good article where Pariani talks about his philosophy with TEs:

Pariani Q&A (http://dev.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=467)

Wolf
01-26-2006, 03:59 PM
In other staff-related news, general manager Bruce Allen said contracts for all the remaining position coaches have been finalized. Also, Kyle Shanahan, a lower-level offensive assistant and the son of Broncos coach Mike Shanahan, is expected to join former Denver offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak's staff in Houston, probably as receivers coach.

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/01/24/news_pf/Bucs/Bucs_hit_dead_ends_in.shtml

Wolf
01-26-2006, 04:03 PM
Thu Jan 26, 2006 --from FFMastermind.com
#
The Denver Post reports Broncos OC Gary Kubiak is likely to bring Broncos offensive assistant Troy Calhoun and defensive assistant Jim Ryan with him to the Texans. Broncos HC Mike Shanahan had a party Tuesday night for Kubiak to celebrate his new job.

http://www.ffmastermind.com/quickbits.php

Texans Horror
01-26-2006, 04:22 PM
If only we had some TEs for him to work with...

Meloy
01-26-2006, 04:24 PM
Ok, first I got to say I don't like tight ends for the most part. So, explain why we need a coach for tight ends? To me that is like have a coach for left tackles. Can't the receivers coach or O line coach handle? Just asking.

rmartin65
01-26-2006, 04:43 PM
Cool. The Te's dont do much anyway.

Texans_Chick
01-26-2006, 04:46 PM
Ok, first I got to say I don't like tight ends for the most part. So, explain why we need a coach for tight ends? To me that is like have a coach for left tackles. Can't the receivers coach or O line coach handle? Just asking.

The TEs are a pretty key part to how Denver plays. And it is a not an easy position because the players have to be athletic enough to block and catch.

Heck, if Kubiak wants the sun moon and stars, and McNair is willing to pay for it, I wouldn't mind them having a coach for each player. :)

As for our current TEs, like with many aspects of our team, it is hard to say that their play is a result of the system or that they just can't play. When they tried to get the ball to AJ more, passes to the TE got fewer. I don't mind getting the ball to AJ more but that wide flair stuff just wasn't playing to his strengths.

Marcellus Rivers looked better at the end of the year, but it is hard to say whether that was just a result of us playing bad teams.

Cindy
01-26-2006, 05:01 PM
TE coach??? **sniffle** does this mean? **sniffle** that we may see an NFL caliber TE on the **sniffle** texans?? i'm so happy!!

You mean we might get somebody in here who knows the TE is an eligible receiver?

Meloy
01-27-2006, 04:28 PM
So if we need a blocking TE why not use a big old tackle like Wand was used occasionally. If we need a pass to the TE, has any one seen Billy Miller? Oh, yeah, that's right. This job sounds better than Dave Ragone's. Wonder who will haver the greater impact?

Texans_Chick
01-27-2006, 04:45 PM
So if we need a blocking TE why not use a big old tackle like Wand was used occasionally. If we need a pass to the TE, has any one seen Billy Miller? Oh, yeah, that's right. This job sounds better than Dave Ragone's. Wonder who will haver the greater impact?

Because you want someone that can both block and catch so that the defense doesn't know if you are running the ball or throwing it. It gives you more flexibility.