PDA

View Full Version : *IF* The Texans draft Leinart or Young...

Snapple
01-23-2006, 01:37 PM
...who would you make the starter next season? Would you throw a guy like Vince Young immediately into the fire by making him the starter in week 1, or would you let him sit behind someone for a year or so?

And if you sit Leinart or Young, who should be be the placeholder? Would you keep Carr for a while? Or do you get rid of Carr and hire a veteran QB to lead the team until Leinart/Young is ready?

Personally, I would have the rookie QB sit out for a while, send off Carr, and get a veteran. Maybe Jon Kitna or Kerry Collins. I would say Kurt Warner, but I think the Cards might resign him. I fear if a new QB was started too soon, he'd get sacked too much and get his mechanics all messed up like Carr.

Glacier
01-23-2006, 02:11 PM
...who would you make the starter next season? Would you throw a guy like Vince Young immediately into the fire by making him the starter in week 1, or would you let him sit behind someone for a year or so?

And if you sit Leinart or Young, who should be be the placeholder? Would you keep Carr for a while? Or do you get rid of Carr and hire a veteran QB to lead the team until Leinart/Young is ready?

Personally, I would have the rookie QB sit out for a while, send off Carr, and get a veteran. Maybe Jon Kitna or Kerry Collins. I would say Kurt Warner, but I think the Cards might resign him. I fear if a new QB was started too soon, he'd get sacked too much and get his mechanics all messed up like Carr.

Well, there are 2 schools of thought on this topic among NFL peeps. some believe you only learn by playing. Some believe a player needs to sit down and learn the game first.

Arguments and examples can be provided by both sides arguing the point.

Texas_Thrill
01-23-2006, 05:24 PM
If its young you've GOT to sit him. He's a junior qb whose never been under center and had to drop back and read Defenses. There is a huge advantage to doing that in the ncaa but it wont work in the pros.

He needs a lot of time to develop and learn the pro game imo.

Glacier
01-23-2006, 05:40 PM
If its young you've GOT to sit him. He's a junior qb whose never been under center and had to drop back and read Defenses. There is a huge advantage to doing that in the ncaa but it wont work in the pros.

He needs a lot of time to develop and learn the pro game imo.

Sigh....

Good god did you not watch football this weekend? how often was Big Ben in the shotgun?

Snapple
01-23-2006, 10:08 PM
I would sit him too. I think he can read a defense just fine, but I honestly think that a lot of QBs really benefit from sitting back and studying instead of being thrust into a pressure situation right away and being expected to put it all on his shoulders. Carson Palmer sat out a year, and he did great for himself.

The other part I'm wondering is that if you do think he should sit out, then who do you make the starter next year?