PDA

View Full Version : All Pro Tom Nalen to follow Kubiak?


donbmt
01-23-2006, 10:40 AM
www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3428203

jerek
01-23-2006, 10:41 AM
www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3428203 (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3428203)

How cool would that be?

Errant Hothy
01-23-2006, 10:44 AM
www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3428203

Yes, please.

Sign him to a two year deal, and help groom Drew...maybe.

texan279
01-23-2006, 10:45 AM
Maybe I am reading it wrong, but the way it is worded to me seems that he would come here as a last resort and/or because of money.

justtxyank
01-23-2006, 10:50 AM
Maybe I am reading it wrong, but the way it is worded to me seems that he would come here as a last resort and/or because of money.

Nope. That's exactly what it said.

If we are going to overpay out the nose for a lineman let it be someone like Hutchinson or Bentley.

Peldon
01-23-2006, 10:51 AM
Maybe I am reading it wrong, but the way it is worded to me seems that he would come here as a last resort and/or because of money.

I think it is saying he would strongly consider coming only if the Broncos don't resign him. So we are like second choice.

texan279
01-23-2006, 10:54 AM
I think it is saying he would strongly consider coming only if the Broncos don't resign him. So we are like second choice.

So, does Nalen plan to check out the market?

"If it gets to March, yes," he said.

Would he specifically look to follow Kubiak to Houston?

"Yes, if it gets to that point."


That tells me he'll follow Kubes here if he cannot find another team to play for or the money he wants. Like I said I might be reading into it wrong.

WWJD
01-23-2006, 11:05 AM
Denver's vaunted O line looked very ordinary yesterday. I'd go for anybody that is an improvement over anybody here though.

infantrycak
01-23-2006, 11:07 AM
From the article:

News from the coaching carousel: Look for Kyle Shanahan, Mike's son, to join Kubiak as the Texans' receivers coach.

Jack Bauer
01-23-2006, 11:08 AM
Denver's vaunted O line looked very ordinary yesterday. I'd go for anybody that is an improvement over anybody here though.

They looked a LOT better than Indy did against the same defense.

Grid
01-23-2006, 11:17 AM
He didnt say last resort.. he basicly said that if a good deal isnt finalized with Denver, that going to Houston with Kubiak would be his next course of action.

Basicly.. im thinking that if we lay an offer on the table for him.. Denver will have to match it or beat it to keep him there.

Lucky
01-23-2006, 11:35 AM
Look for Kyle Shanahan, Mike's son, to join Kubiak as the Texans' receivers coach.
Born on December 14, 1979, Shanahan is 8 months younger than Derik Armstrong and 1 year older than Gaffney. Here's an article about Kyle (http://www.coloradoan.com/news/coloradoanpublishing/Football2004/Broncos/season/100304_bucs.htm).

Wharton
01-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Personally, I would welcome anyone who can invigorate our o-line and provide stability and leadership. The line has been pretty beat-up by us. A new attitude may be in order.

WWJD
01-23-2006, 11:50 AM
He can't find anybody more qualified to coach receivers than his son? Nepotism works in some places I guess. Maybe it will here also.

Grid
01-23-2006, 12:41 PM
Nalen was born in 1971... he is in his 12th year.

That makes him 34-35 years old.. id be happy to bring him in for a year or two while we groom Hodgdon a bit more.

Texans Horror
01-23-2006, 01:39 PM
He didnt say last resort.. he basicly said that if a good deal isnt finalized with Denver, that going to Houston with Kubiak would be his next course of action.

Basicly.. im thinking that if we lay an offer on the table for him.. Denver will have to match it or beat it to keep him there.

I am hearing echoes of last year, when we were supposed to get Orlando Pace, but in the end, it was one big ploy to get him more cash out of St. Louis.

justtxyank
01-23-2006, 02:08 PM
He can't find anybody more qualified to coach receivers than his son? Nepotism works in some places I guess. Maybe it will here also.

Well it isn't HIS son. And supposedly Kyle is a pretty sharp guy and will make a good coach.

BigBull17
01-23-2006, 02:21 PM
He didnt say last resort.. he basicly said that if a good deal isnt finalized with Denver, that going to Houston with Kubiak would be his next course of action.

Basicly.. im thinking that if we lay an offer on the table for him.. Denver will have to match it or beat it to keep him there.
I dont think Denver would have to beat our offer just match. He wants to end his career w/ the Broncos.

bdiddy
01-23-2006, 02:56 PM
I think signing Nalen to a 2 year deal with an club option for a third year would be good. He is a great center and fits the zone blocking scheme well. We could then draft a center in the later rounds and allow Hogdon to develop. However, I still believe the Hogdon will play guard in the new scheme.

There left tackle is also a FA with a player option. He is from Frisco, TX. Maybe he will be interested, too.

WWJD
01-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Well it isn't HIS son. And supposedly Kyle is a pretty sharp guy and will make a good coach.


Sorry. I missread the post.

ledzeppelin229
01-23-2006, 03:14 PM
I doubt Nalen comes here. He's seen the fat contracts to Wiegert and Wade and is trying to use the Kubiak-to-Houston scenario/Being from TX angle to take a ransom from the Broncos (although I'm not completely ruling out that he might like to come to Houston in the right scenario, like I said he's seen the fat contracts above. Just that I see it as more like an 80% chance he stays in Denver and 20% chance he actually comes to Houston.)

Glacier
01-23-2006, 03:26 PM
I doubt Nalen comes here. He's seen the fat contracts to Wiegert and Wade and is trying to use the Kubiak-to-Houston scenario/Being from TX angle to take a ransom from the Broncos (although I'm not completely ruling out that he might like to come to Houston in the right scenario, like I said he's seen the fat contracts above. Just that I see it as more like an 80% chance he stays in Denver and 20% chance he actually comes to Houston.)


I think a quality center like Nalen, who is always going to make the right blocking calls, instantly makes Carr look better than he is along with making DD look like a fantastic runner, rather than a productive runner in the new blocking scheme. We can hope!

TexansBlitz
01-24-2006, 02:08 AM
NFL Rumor Central reported the possibility of Tom Nalen coming to the Texans. Apparently, Nalen has been forced to take pay cuts in the past to stay with the Broncos...but is an unrestricted free agent after this year.
The rumor has it that he would be the starting point of Kubiak's redesign of the o-line. Which makes perfect sense, considering center is the most important position on the line in the Zone B scheme.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors

rittenhouserobz
01-24-2006, 06:38 AM
I would love to see a couple of the OL that have experienced the zone blocking scheme at its best. I think our current OL is getting better at run blocking, but adding experience would be great.

aj.
01-24-2006, 07:20 AM
Nalen will be 35 years old in May but he hasn't missed a game in three years. He would bring that Denver OL experience to the middle of the line and give D Hog someone to learn from (move McKinney to LG if he's willing to take a pay cut). He's an old dog but it may be a perfect one-year deal for Nalen and for the Texans. He hasn't been All-Pro since '03, I believe. He may not cost all that much. Lepsis may also be available (family in Houston area?).

Looks like someone you'd like dating your daughter ...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/aj_texans/2799.jpg

bdiddy
01-24-2006, 08:21 AM
Just heard on SportsCenter this morning that the Broncos are $30 million over the salary cap and may be looking to not resign some veteran players. Mike and Mike in the morning specifically cited Nalen and Rod Smith.

aj.
01-24-2006, 08:24 AM
From the Kffl clearing house:

Broncos | Team needs to clear nearly $30 million for 2006 salary cap
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:59:35 -0800

The Associated Press reports the Denver Broncos need to pare close to $30 million off the 2006 season salary cap. The situation could mean several players will not be with the team next year. C Tom Nalen, OT Matt Lepsis, DL Gerard Warren, and DL Courtney Brown are all possible victims.

texan279
01-24-2006, 11:12 AM
More on the Nalen situation...LINK (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_4408385,00.html)

Nalen made it clear retirement is not an option. And he backed off a stance he had taken during the summer about not wanting to play anywhere else, should it come to that. If the Broncos decide they will turn the page,

he'll seek work elsewhere.

"I don't want it to end like this," he said after the Pittsburgh Steelers' convincing 34-17 victory. "(But) I'm old, so I don't know what kind of market's out there for me."

One reason for his change of heart is his health. He noted he has taken care of himself better this season and had a lot more fun, outside of Sunday's result.

"I feel great," he said. "I didn't spend one day in the training room."

Broncos left tackle Matt Lepsis also could go into the free-agent market, though he has a player option to pick up the rest of his deal, which would pay him $10 million in various bonuses during the next two years.

Nalen said money will be part of his decision but not the only one. But it boils down to whether the Broncos want him back as well.

edo783
01-24-2006, 11:13 AM
From the Kffl clearing house:

Broncos | Team needs to clear nearly $30 million for 2006 salary cap
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:59:35 -0800

The Associated Press reports the Denver Broncos need to pare close to $30 million off the 2006 season salary cap. The situation could mean several players will not be with the team next year. C Tom Nalen, OT Matt Lepsis, DL Gerard Warren, and DL Courtney Brown are all possible victims.

Some possibilities there. A couple would just be short term, 1-2 year guys, but???????

Kaiser Toro
01-24-2006, 11:16 AM
Just heard on SportsCenter this morning that the Broncos are $30 million over the salary cap and may be looking to not resign some veteran players. Mike and Mike in the morning specifically cited Nalen and Rod Smith.

I would take Nalen and Smith in a heart beat.

BroncoFan
01-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Rod Smith is the heart of the Broncos, we will resign him! As for Nalen he is an outstanding center (pro bowler) I hope the Broncos resign him also, however should he become a texan he would be an instant upgrade and mentor.

Johnny Utah
01-24-2006, 11:26 AM
Looks like someone you'd like dating your daughter ...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/aj_texans/2799.jpg


Looks like he just got done with a 3 day coke bender.

cadahnic
01-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Nalen, Bentley, Brandon, and possibly Courntey Brown if he can stay on the field would be some nice additions. Also if the Broncos want to get rid of one of those fast LBs we would gladly take one. I guess we will have a couple of people in Colorado watching some Texan games now at least.

BigBull17
01-24-2006, 11:58 AM
Rod Smith is the heart of the Broncos, we will resign him! As for Nalen he is an outstanding center (pro bowler) I hope the Broncos resign him also, however should he become a texan he would be an instant upgrade and mentor.
If they didnt or couldnt resign him he will most likly come to play for Kubiak. The article they did showed the love and respect he has for Kub.

justtxyank
01-24-2006, 12:08 PM
I'd love to cut Mckinney and his crazy contract and sign Nalen or Bentley with that money. McKinney just isn't good enough to warrant his money any more.

TEXANRED
01-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Looks like he just got done with a 3 day coke bender.
That was funny. I almost chocked on a Pringle.

Headlights of a Carr
01-24-2006, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see any Bronco in Texan gear next year. Usually the case when a coach goes to another team. Parcells,Glanville, etc. I would love to get Nalen and Smith. :cool:

O.G.
01-24-2006, 01:16 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see any Bronco in Texan gear next year. Usually the case when a coach goes to another team. Parcells,Glanville, etc. I would love to get Nalen and Smith. :cool:

I'd Second that.

BroncoFan
01-24-2006, 03:57 PM
Coming from a Bronco fan I can see you get a few of the Bronc's to follow Kubes to Houston. However I dont see you guys getting Rod Smith, we in Colorado want him to retire when it is time as a bronco. With the salery cap I can see Nalen and possibly Lepsis leaving and going to houston which would deplete our offensive line but upgrade yours tremendously. But you never know in denver their talking about getting T.O. now. I know I wish Kubiak all the best he is one hell of a coach and I hope the texans do well with him just not when you guys face the broncos. GO BRONCOS and TEXANS!!!

michaelm
01-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Maybe Kubiak won't want to make too strong a run at Nalen out of respect for Shannahan and the organization. Kubes might not want to be the one who basically drives Nalen's price up for his former team.
Perhaps Kubiak will want to lay back and wait to see if Denver decides not to pay enough.

rmartin65
01-24-2006, 04:49 PM
This would be sweet

TreWardTxn
01-25-2006, 02:43 AM
That man is Bronco O-line personified; there's not even a snowball's chance that he won't be back in Denver next year.

More importantly, what is this mess about Kyle Shanahan coming to Houston as the Texans wide receiver coach? This dude was hardly 5th string at Texas, who is he going to teach to do anything? What angle is that to get a job; 'uhh, i sat on the bench in college, wait, my dad's an NFL coach, but I never played a down...' There has to be someone better qualified. This whole Simms (he sucked as a Longhorn too)-->UT-->Shanahan-->Broncos connection has to be wiped out. The only personnel pickup that worked at all was Greg Robinson coordinating the defenses...

AustinJB
01-25-2006, 02:57 AM
That man is Bronco O-line personified; there's not even a snowball's chance that he won't be back in Denver next year.

More importantly, what is this mess about Kyle Shanahan coming to Houston as the Texans wide receiver coach? This dude was hardly 5th string at Texas, who is he going to teach to do anything? What angle is that to get a job; 'uhh, i sat on the bench in college, wait, my dad's an NFL coach, but I never played a down...' There has to be someone better qualified. This whole Simms (he sucked as a Longhorn too)-->UT-->Shanahan-->Broncos connection has to be wiped out. The only personnel pickup that worked at all was Greg Robinson coordinating the defenses...

So?? There are head coaches that have never even played football at all, and most of the coaches that did play football were not All-Pro players. You don't have to necessarily be a great player to be a great coach. You just have to have a thorough knowledge of the game. Most of these type of coaches had the mental ability to understand the schemes, etc. but not the physical abiltiy.

I'm not necessarily saying that I think Kyle will be a great coach, but you have to look at his resume and research his knowledge of the game to try to decide that for yourself....certainly not whether or not he, himself was a great player.

TreWardTxn
01-25-2006, 11:12 AM
So?? There are head coaches that have never even played football at all, and most of the coaches that did play football were not All-Pro players. You don't have to necessarily be a great player to be a great coach. You just have to have a thorough knowledge of the game. Most of these type of coaches had the mental ability to understand the schemes, etc. but not the physical abiltiy.

I'm not necessarily saying that I think Kyle will be a great coach, but you have to look at his resume and research his knowledge of the game to try to decide that for yourself....certainly not whether or not he, himself was a great player.

You're right, at first glance I was thinking, that he would only get a sniff of the job because his dad was the new head coach's mentor. But then I thought about it more. This guy likely grew up around Rod Smith and Eazy Ed, and Shannon Sharpe he has seen the Broncos practice for the past 11 years (if he cared to) and should have a pretty good understanding of what the receivers should do. Even if the guy can't do it himself, he should have a good idea of what needs to be done; so actually, maybe he is the best fit...

justtxyank
01-25-2006, 11:55 AM
He is supposedly a good coach. Gruden apparently loves the kid in Tampa. Not sure if he will be a good receiver's coach or not, but he's defintley deserving of a shot from all that I've read about him.

bigTEXan8
01-25-2006, 12:26 PM
More importantly, what is this mess about Kyle Shanahan coming to Houston as the Texans wide receiver coach? This dude was hardly 5th string at Texas, who is he going to teach to do anything? What angle is that to get a job; 'uhh, i sat on the bench in college, wait, my dad's an NFL coach, but I never played a down...' There has to be someone better qualified. This whole Simms (he sucked as a Longhorn too)-->UT-->Shanahan-->Broncos connection has to be wiped out. The only personnel pickup that worked at all was Greg Robinson coordinating the defenses...

I've heard of some coaches that were not that good of players, or didn't even play the game. For some people, it's easier to coach than it is to play.

A Texan
01-25-2006, 04:06 PM
Could we get Pittsburgh all-pro G Alan Faneca instead? He played a monster game against Denver. I'm sure somebody would use the same argument that they used against Kubiak, that we just wanted him because he's from the Houston area (Lamar Consolidated).

aj.
02-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Nalen signed an extension with the Broncos so forget him...