PDA

View Full Version : Coordinators

Sutton=08Heisman
01-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Who would you say are the front runners for the new OC/DC??

bdiddy
01-17-2006, 10:23 PM
OC= Dennison
DC= Gray/Marinelli/Bates (equal at this point)

sprtsfanatic
01-17-2006, 10:53 PM
OC= Dennison

Didnt Marinelli sign on to be someones head coach today....the Jets I think??? someone correct me if im wrong.

edo783
01-17-2006, 10:54 PM
OC= Dennison

Works for me.

Mr. White
01-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Didnt Marinelli sign on to be someones head coach today....the Jets I think??? someone correct me if im wrong.

Eric Mangini (Pats DC) is the new coach for the Jets.

sprtsfanatic
01-17-2006, 11:01 PM
oh..my bad..thanks for the distinction...heard the name...couldnt remember what it was exactly, but thanks for clearing that up.

dat_boy_yec
01-17-2006, 11:03 PM
Does anybody know DCs that run 3-4 available.

HeadKase
01-18-2006, 07:49 PM
Mort reported that Marinelli is going to be the new Lions coach.

TEXANS84
01-18-2006, 07:54 PM
Lions | Marinelli close to being hired
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:52:39 -0800

Nicholas J. Cotsonika, of the Detroit Free Press, reports the Detroit Lions are close to hiring Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive line coach Rod Marinelli to be their head coach, according to an NFL source. Lions officials were unavailable for comment. Marinelli was scheduled to arrive in Detroit late Tuesday, Jan. 17, for a second interview.

Grid
01-18-2006, 08:12 PM
bah... well.. honestly I wasnt that interested in Marinelli anyway. Just didnt know much about him.

O.G.
01-18-2006, 08:54 PM
Does anybody know DCs that run 3-4 available.

I think Gray ran the 3-4 in Buffalo, I could be wrong though

mexican_texan
01-18-2006, 09:06 PM
I think Gray ran the 3-4 in Buffalo, I could be wrong though
I believe they ran the 4-3. Speaking of the Bills, why not Mularkey as OC?

hot pickle
01-18-2006, 09:25 PM
i would love jerry gray as DC

Trap_Star
01-18-2006, 09:39 PM
i would love jerry gray as DC

same here:ok:

what about al saunders for OC? is he still available?

JohnGalt
01-18-2006, 10:22 PM
same here:ok:

what about al saunders for OC? is he still available?

I think the Raiders will hire him for HC. If not he'll stay in KC

run-david-run
01-18-2006, 10:41 PM
I think the simple answer to this question goes as follows: "What would Vince Young do?"

mexican_texan
01-18-2006, 10:52 PM
I think the simple answer to this question goes as follows: "What would Vince Young do?"
He would ask his uncle if he knows what a TE is.

TexanFanInCC
01-19-2006, 01:46 AM
a very realistic possibility for OC is former packer HC mike sherman....if yall read todays chronicle. jim gray and the DC from tampa are the candidates for the DC job in htown.

O.G.
01-19-2006, 08:10 AM
a very realistic possibility for OC is former packer HC mike sherman....if yall read todays chronicle. jim gray and the DC from tampa are the candidates for the DC job in htown.

I would like Mike Sherman here as well, does his offensive scheme with with Kubiak philosophy? I would love Gray here as well, but not him can't forget about Green Bay's ex Defensive coordinator as well. Can't remember his name

Erratic Assassin
01-19-2006, 08:49 AM
I would like Mike Sherman here as well, does his offensive scheme with with Kubiak philosophy?

I doubt that a former head coach would feel good about having to work under an inexperienced head coach/ clipboard holder.

I'd bet his preference would be to work under another experienced head coach, the way Capers worked under Coughlin after being peers. It doesn't sting quite as much.

cadahnic
01-19-2006, 08:54 AM
OC- Dennison, Walsh, or B. Shottenheimer, Sherman, and a long shot of Turner
DC- Jerry Gray, Jim Bates, some defensive guys from denver or san diego off of Phillips staff

Jerry Gray right now is a big favorite if he wants to come here, but I am a bit skeptical of him. From what I have heard and watched he is a solid teacher, but his defenses are quite inconsistent. Look at the last 3 years he was coaching, yeah he had good defenses other than this year, but they always played inconsistent, either being good at the beginning of the season and tailing of or bringing it around the end like 04. Keeping your unit consistent is something that will be very big to Kubiak and that will hurt Gray as far as things go.

Jack Bauer
01-19-2006, 08:57 AM
I doubt that a former head coach would feel good about having to work under an inexperienced head coach/ clipboard holder.

They coached together at A&M from 1992-1993. They are close, so the only question to me is what offense would he bring? His philosophy is different than Kubiak's, so that would be the deal breaker for me.

Big B Texan Fan
01-19-2006, 09:40 AM
They coached together at A&M from 1992-1993. They are close, so the only question to me is what offense would he bring? His philosophy is different than Kubiak's, so that would be the deal breaker for me.
I'm with you Zeph, I do not think he'll a hard time with it. If we succeed, he'll be a HC candidate again in no time.

SBTexans08
01-19-2006, 10:45 AM
Are you serious.....it mentioned Tampa's DC to come here possibly? No way. That's kind of hard to swallow. I'd take him over Gray any day. He's got a damn near immaculate resume and has put up some incredible defenses together. The guys' old though....Monte Kiffin is like damn near 70 years old. Another thing is Tampa thinks very highly of him and will most definitely pay top dollar to keep him.

To be on the safe side...I'm not even going to ponder on him being our DC....too good to be true. Although....Jerry Gray is a lot younger and would probably be a better acquisition in that respect. That fountain of youth would come in real handy right about now...:D

chuckm
01-19-2006, 11:15 AM
according to profootballtalk.com (which is admittedly an NFL rumor site)

"we've heard that Kubiak already has lined up much if not all of his staff."

:twocents:

infantrycak
01-19-2006, 11:27 AM

Which if true means to look around for conspicuous non-signings--folks who should be hot in the market but aren't being announced as signed.

Long Baller
01-19-2006, 11:51 AM
OC - Sherman
DC - Jim Bates

Caphorn
01-19-2006, 12:51 PM

Haven't we all :rolleyes:

Not a big fan of profootball talk.

I like the Gray selection because he has deep experience in both the 34 and 4-3. Didn't Buffalo switch back to the 4-3 this past year? Either way I understand he can run the 34 if it makes sense (I think it does) and has experience transitioning a D back to the 4-3 (although somewhat unsuccessfully). When Buffalo was in the 34 if they had even a semblance of an offense, those teams would have been playoff teams. Either way, they say you learn from your mistakes and I know Grey's a good learner, teacher and playcaller. I also think his expertise in secondary coverages will be very helpfull in tackling our future opposition: Peyton Manning and the Colts and Vince Young and the Titans ;)

The TB DC is not coming here. The reference was to Marinelli who is headed to the Lions as their HC.

HoustonFrog
01-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Which if true means to look around for conspicuous non-signings--folks who should be hot in the market but aren't being announced as signed.

That could mean Gray since he is out in Buffalo without a doubt. The only thing that worries me about the Sherman rumor is that the guy will get a gig again and you risk losing the continuity on the staff if he is one and done.

SBTexans08
01-19-2006, 12:59 PM
What about Haslett as our DC? With a good offense to compliment 'em....he might be able to make things happen, no?

Texan Gal 312
01-19-2006, 01:10 PM
What about Haslett as our DC? With a good offense to compliment 'em....he might be able to make things happen, no?

I thought about this too. Anybody know Haslett's resume ?

O.G.
01-19-2006, 01:28 PM
OC - Sherman
DC - Jim Bates

I thought about that combo as well, lol. Have Green Bay's ex head coach and defensive coordinator here.

nflnutswife
01-19-2006, 01:47 PM
I really hate throwing my ignorance out here, I really do. But here it is, can't learn if I don't ask right? I think I understand the philosophy of both the 3-4 or 4-3 defense plays but how do you determine which is the beneficial for us of the two in any scenerio? (not sure that's clear)!

HoustonFrog
01-19-2006, 01:48 PM
Well Saunders just joined Washington

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2298365

SBTexans08
01-19-2006, 01:54 PM
I really hate throwing my ignorance out here, I really do. But here it is, can't learn if I don't ask right? I think I understand the philosophy of both the 3-4 or 4-3 defense plays but how do you determine which is the beneficial for us of the two in any scenerio? (not sure that's clear)!
Looking at your personnel of which currently....is our best scheme for an immediate impact as that's what we've had and drafted for since the birth of the franchise. Since we have Indy in our division and history shows how Manning has trouble against effective 3-4 schemes.....I think we should stay put and make the neccessary modding to our corp and go from there.

SBTexans08
01-19-2006, 01:55 PM

Washington isn't playing around....that's a great acquisition. I feel kind of jealous.

tulexan
01-19-2006, 02:00 PM
I thought Kubiak was going to bring Dennison with him from Denver and make him the OC. Wasn't that what the Denver Post was speculating last week?

Gilly
01-19-2006, 03:45 PM
sorry to stir the pot even more, but I wouldn't mind seeing Mike Martz emerge as our OC. Don't get me wrong, I didn't care for him as a head coach because of his inability to make the correct critical coaching decidions, but I think he would make one hell of an OC if he would not mind the demotion from HC. His high powered pass attack, and K's run game would compliment each other.

Long Baller
01-19-2006, 04:03 PM

I like the idea of get Kub to be our head coach but it's the pits that we may miss out on some quality coaches because we can't name our head coach. If Denver goes to the SB we may miss out on even more.

yourfavoritetexan42
01-20-2006, 01:15 PM
Who do yall think will be running the offense and defense for the Texans. We will most likely run Kubiaks offense, and switch over to a 4-3 scheme or perhaps cover 2, but who will be running our defense?

Any favorites?

MorKnolle
01-20-2006, 01:25 PM
Jerry Gray is a possibility at DC, he was a hot prospect for head coach at many teams but kind of faded once we somewhat chose Kubiak, so I wonder if he had unofficially agreed to come here. Some coaches that I would have valued as lesser coaches got head spots over him, so I wonder if he did make a verbal agreement with us and has to wait until Kubiak comes in to officially come on here. I really don't know for OC though, I think Kubiak may hang on to play-calling duties since he did that in Denver and the OC would have a reduced role, but I don't know.

Meloy
01-20-2006, 03:45 PM
I think it was John McClain in Chronicle that indicated Denver's O line coach as a possibility for coordinator IF Denver wanted to be nice to KUBES. I think his opinion that probably will not happen. Even if he did come to H town with Kubes I understood that HC will basically run the offense.

justtxyank
01-20-2006, 04:37 PM
I think it was John McClain in Chronicle that indicated Denver's O line coach as a possibility for coordinator IF Denver wanted to be nice to KUBES. I think his opinion that probably will not happen. Even if he did come to H town with Kubes I understood that HC will basically run the offense.

There was an article in a Denver paper that said Shanahan had already said he could take his assistants. Take it for what's it worth.

napalm451
01-20-2006, 09:04 PM
I AM AN ACTIVE DUTY SOLDIER CURRENTLY STATIONED IN VIRGINIA, AND AM WANTING TO KNOW WHAT THE LATEST TEXAN COACHING RUMORS OR CONFIRMATIONS ARE. :stirpot: I LIVED IN HOUSTON UNTIL MARCH OF 05 WHEN I CAME BACK ON ACTIVE DUTY, AND WANT TO KEEP UP WITH THE "HOME" TEAM.

LORK 88
01-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Jerry Gray is a possibility at DC, he was a hot prospect for head coach at many teams but kind of faded once we somewhat chose Kubiak, so I wonder if he had unofficially agreed to come here. Some coaches that I would have valued as lesser coaches got head spots over him, so I wonder if he did make a verbal agreement with us and has to wait until Kubiak comes in to officially come on here. I really don't know for OC though, I think Kubiak may hang on to play-calling duties since he did that in Denver and the OC would have a reduced role, but I don't know.

This is who Im banking on coming in as our DC. We got a very good look at his defensive philosophies and I think he could really help us out. he's very agressive, and can EFFECTIVELY blitz.

Tulip
01-20-2006, 09:16 PM
I AM AN ACTIVE DUTY SOLDIER CURRENTLY STATIONED IN VIRGINIA, AND AM WANTING TO KNOW WHAT THE LATEST TEXAN COACHING RUMORS OR CONFIRMATIONS ARE. :stirpot: I LIVED IN HOUSTON UNTIL MARCH OF 05 WHEN I CAME BACK ON ACTIVE DUTY, AND WANT TO KEEP UP WITH THE "HOME" TEAM.

There will be no confirmations until after the Super Bowl unless Denver loses to Pittsburgh this weekend. Until then, we won't know who is going to comprise head coach Gary Kubiak's staff, except Joe Marciano and Kippy Brown, who the Texans have decided to retain.

Trap_Star
01-20-2006, 09:23 PM
the jets are gonna let donnie henderson go.... how about him for DC????

ArlingtonTexan
01-20-2006, 10:09 PM
Adam Schefter of NFL network reported on NFL network (TV) that the Texans will be in the mix for Jim Bates former Miami and Packer defensive coordinator.

big homey
01-20-2006, 11:04 PM
sorry to stir the pot even more, but I wouldn't mind seeing Mike Martz emerge as our OC. Don't get me wrong, I didn't care for him as a head coach because of his inability to make the correct critical coaching decidions, but I think he would make one hell of an OC if he would not mind the demotion from HC. His high powered pass attack, and K's run game would compliment each other.
Or just conflict with each other.

Kubiak will want to run his system, and the OC will have to support his philosophy. We had Palmer and Capers already.

edo783
01-20-2006, 11:34 PM
Adam Schefter of NFL network reported on NFL network (TV) that the Texans will be in the mix for Jim Bates former Miami and Packer defensive coordinator.

Sounds good, he's done some good things, particularly with a poor GB defense that sounds a lot like ours. I believe Jerry Gray has the inside track, but Bates would also be a great choice IMO.

ccdude730
01-21-2006, 02:00 AM
i know there has been alot of talk about the Oline coach from denver coming to be OC with kubes, but i found this:

http://www.kffl.com/Texans | Pariani could head to Houston
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 17:13:58 -0800

Tim Gorman, of the Daily Orange, reports Syracuse University offensive coordinator Brian Pariani could be headed to the Houston Texans. Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak, a friend of Pariani's, will reportedly accept the head coaching position in Houston after the Broncos' season ends and he may want to bring Pariani to Houston.

heres his profile from syracuse: Brian Pariani (http://www.suathletics.com/Sports/Football/2005/brianparianibio.asp)

seems hes had more than plenty of experience with kubes as a TE coach. even kubes spoke high of him (from the article)

“Brian has been an integral part of what we have done on offense for 10 years,” said Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak. “He one of the hardest working coaches I have ever worked with. He understands the game and how to teach it. It will be hard for us to lose him. He is a better person than he is a coach. One of his biggest strengths is dealing with people and teaching. I always thought he had the capability to be a coordinator in the NFL. This was an opportunity he really wanted.”

ccdude730
01-21-2006, 02:04 AM
theres even more on this site about how he uses the TE in his offense

http://dev.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=633

beerlover
01-21-2006, 02:25 AM
one of my favorite Right Tackles available in this years draft came out of Syracuse- Quinn OJinnaka. He started as a TE then added some mass & moved inside to Tackle @ 6050 and 295 he reminded me alot of a poor mans D'Brick. When I do my Texans Mock Draft I'll have to seriously consider slotting him as one of our 3rd dr. picks :cool:

cadahnic
01-21-2006, 06:05 AM
Quinn OJinnaka is a good tackle. And the cat has been able to hold his weight a little better than Ferguson. I would even venture that once he gets on a better diet that he would jump to 310. One thing I noticed in watchin the kid is that he is very strong. I dont overly like him over interior guys like Mangold, Eslinger, Setterstrom, Joseph, but if he is around in the 4th or 5th he is hard to pass up.

ccdude730
01-21-2006, 08:13 AM
IMO if we bring in pariani as our OC and kubes still decides to bring dennison over, the latter fellow would have more time to focus on the offensive line - which is a good thing.

ccdude730
01-24-2006, 02:56 AM
Topping his list is hiring a staff. Kubiak will keep two members of Dom Capers' team: Jon Hoke (the defensive backs coach) and Joe Marciano (special teams).

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3607562.html

for all the hoke and marciano lovers...:redtowel:

Corrosion
01-24-2006, 04:04 AM
From the Houston Chronicle 1-24-06

Topping his list is hiring a staff. Kubiak will keep two members of Dom Capers' team: Jon Hoke (the defensive backs coach) and Joe Marciano (special teams).

These were probably the only guy's who deserved to stay ...

SheTexan
01-24-2006, 04:51 AM
Hoke is one of the reasons we have "phyllis." I just hope Kubiak is tough enough to tell him NO when the time comes. Capers and Cass bowed to Hoke and Fangio's demands to do whatever it took to get Pbuck. You all know the results of that trade. It's all in the hands of the new HC.

HoustonFrog
01-24-2006, 09:15 AM
John Clayton was just on Mike and Mike and was talking about how the Raiders will now probably wait and hire, at least interview, the Steelers O coordinator Ken Whisenhunt. That would make 8 of the 10 openings filled by rookie head coaches with Herm and Jauron as the two guys who have done it before. His thinking was that too many teams didn't think through the process and by going after the next "hot" guy they forgot the fact that they need coordinators to fit their schemes. 6 of the 8 are offensive guys. So where are they going to find quality guys to teach while they are HC?Jauron had that problem in Chicago. Anyone else think this may cause problems with Kubiak?I don't think so but it was an interesting point.

HoustonFrog
01-24-2006, 09:50 AM
OK, I'l go get coffee and think of better things.:brickwall

edo783
01-24-2006, 10:00 AM
OK, I'l go get coffee and think of better things.:brickwall

I'd meet ya at Starbucks, but it's a bit of a drive for me.:ok:

infantrycak
01-24-2006, 10:01 AM
Media folks have to come up with something to talk about. If all the new HC's were re-treads, Clayton would be talking about how short sighted teams are in not giving talented younger guys a chance. As for coordinators, they are going to come from former HC's--Martz possibly, Sherman, Capers, etc. and from folks one step down the ladder from the departing coordinators who are becoming HC's. Just a media created issue.

BradK10
01-24-2006, 10:22 AM

I know many of us wanted Marciano back. Good stuff.

HoustonFrog
01-24-2006, 10:25 AM
I'd meet ya at Starbucks, but it's a bit of a drive for me.:ok:

Maybe I saw you at the Post Oak one. lol

Agree Infantry. They even mentioned that all the new ones are white and talked about that drama. I never have liked retreads and don't get Jauron at all.

infantrycak
01-24-2006, 10:57 AM
Agree Infantry. They even mentioned that all the new ones are white and talked about that drama.

That is another good pot stirring media thing which is going on right now. Conspicuously absent from most of these allegations/discussions is a list of non-white coaches who are as deserving or more so than the white coaches. Absent an election against a more talented coach or between at least equally talented coaches a discussion of the end results is useless.

whiskeyrbl
01-24-2006, 11:48 AM
Todays chronicle reports that Kubiak will keep Jon Hoke(DB coach) and Joe Marciano(Special Teams).David Diaz-Infante has agreed to come as an OL coach and will try to getAlex Gibbs from Atlanta to come in and Oversee Infante.Troy Calhoun Denvers assistant to the head coach is coming to coach QB's and possibly be the OC.Parani being brought in to coach TE's,and Kyle Shannahan is coming to coach the WR's.Also trying to get Frank Bush LB's coach from Arizona.:redtowel:

edo783
01-24-2006, 12:42 PM
Todays chronicle reports that Kubiak will keep Jon Hoke(DB coach) and Joe Marciano(Special Teams).David Diaz-Infante has agreed to come as an OL coach and will try to getAlex Gibbs from Atlanta to come in and Oversee Infante.Troy Calhoun Denvers assistant to the head coach is coming to coach QB's and possibly be the OC.Parani being brought in to coach TE's,and Kyle Shannahan is coming to coach the WR's.Also trying to get Frank Bush LB's coach from Arizona.:redtowel:

Those are all good things IMO, but the big item yet is the DC. Can't waite for that to become clear.

bckey
01-24-2006, 02:06 PM
That is another good pot stirring media thing which is going on right now. Conspicuously absent from most of these allegations/discussions is a list of non-white coaches who are as deserving or more so than the white coaches. Absent an election against a more talented coach or between at least equally talented coaches a discussion of the end results is useless.

I did here them mention some names on Cold Pizza when they were discussing this. Tim Lewis, Jerry Gray, and Ron Rivera. Of those 3 I think Gray got the shaft for not even being considered by Buffalo. I hope he ends up here.

Porky
01-24-2006, 02:45 PM
From the Houston Chronicle 1-24-06

These were probably the only guy's who deserved to stay ...

Bates and Dennison are not coming.

They are trying to lure Alex Gibbs from Atlanta, which would be outstanding. I would be thrilled with that.

Mods - it might be nice to have a sticky on an assistants thread? Who's coming, who might come, and who isn't coming, etc. Just a thought.

SBTexans08
01-24-2006, 03:20 PM
I did here them mention some names on Cold Pizza when they were discussing this. Tim Lewis, Jerry Gray, and Ron Rivera. Of those 3 I think Gray got the shaft for not even being considered by Buffalo. I hope he ends up here.
Jerry Gray is staying with Buffalo. Ron Rivera can pack his bags and come to H-Town...I'm all for that. :)

SixTexans
01-24-2006, 04:57 PM
There's a certain coach who ran a successful 3-4 that is available these days. He has ties to Sherman, and has coached with Kubiak. He also happened to coach Kubes at one point as well.

Anyone think his name comes up?

JohnGalt
01-24-2006, 04:58 PM
Phillips?

Jack Bauer
01-24-2006, 05:03 PM
There's a certain coach who ran a successful 3-4 that is available these days. He has ties to Sherman, and has coached with Kubiak. He also happened to coach Kubes at one point as well.

Anyone think his name comes up?

Talking about Slocum? No, otherwise he would already have a job in the NFL.

SixTexans
01-24-2006, 05:07 PM
Don't be surprised ...

Jack Bauer
01-24-2006, 05:09 PM
Jerry Gray is staying with Buffalo.

I haven't seen anything official either way, but the fans on the Bills MB are currently debating who should be the new DC. Do you have a link confirming he is staying in Buffalo?

TEXANFAN23435
01-24-2006, 05:15 PM
I could see RC getting a call. His "Wrecking Crew" 3/4 Defense was pretty amazing. Bottom line, you get the right talent and they will just about make any scheme look good. Also, I really liked his array of blitzes.

TEXANS84
01-24-2006, 05:37 PM
Jerry Gray is staying with Buffalo. Ron Rivera can pack his bags and come to H-Town...I'm all for that. :)
There are no reports that Gray is staying with Buffalo, especially since Levy is shopping for defensive coordinators.

Jack Bauer
01-24-2006, 05:38 PM
I could see RC getting a call. His "Wrecking Crew" 3/4 Defense was pretty amazing. Bottom line, you get the right talent and they will just about make any scheme look good. Also, I really liked his array of blitzes.

I am an Aggie and I would love to see RC get a DC position, but I also wonder why he hasn't worked since A&M.

SixTexans
01-24-2006, 05:56 PM
He's had calls, just not ones he felt fit. This, may fit nicely. Stay in state, work with people you like, do a good job for a few years, then take a good college job, or retire.

edo783
01-24-2006, 07:56 PM
Geeezzz, the UT crowd is allready complaining that Kubes is an Aggie, bring in Slocum and then the UT crowd would go more bezerk than they allready are.

Wolf
01-24-2006, 08:02 PM
Geeezzz, the UT crowd is allready complaining that Kubes is an Aggie, bring in Slocum and then the UT crowd would go more bezerk than they allready are.

I heard Royal was looking for a job :heh:

cadahnic
01-24-2006, 08:04 PM
My old coach would be a great thought, but it is just that. Coach is a little past his prime as far as things go in coaching and is definately a college coach. His 3-4 defense was awesome to play in. Other than that I could see him as a defensive consultant that would help Kubes understand the defensive side of the ball more, but past that I think RC will just enjoy watching Kubes coach.

AustinJB
01-24-2006, 08:15 PM

C'mon now....don't lump everyone into that group. That is only a small minority of people that may feel that way...not fair to group us all together.

I am UT to the bone, but that doesn't matter in the NFL. Do I follow ex-LH in the NFL and hope they do well? Yes. Do I think we should draft VY? Yes. But I like VY b/c I think he is a great player and would help the team. NOT just b/c he is from UT. I hate OU, but I'd take Tommie Harris on our DL or Jammal Brown on our OL in a heartbeat. I couldn't be happier to get Kubes (although I don't think I'd be too excited to get Slocum b/c I think there are better candidates available.)

Just wanted to let you know that not every LH fan that supports the Texans feels that way. Not everything that is non-UT is bad.:)

outofhnd
01-24-2006, 08:21 PM
My vote is for Jerry Gray.

He was a star at UT it will bring balance to the Aggie and longhorn force... OC I dont care Kubiak will be doin most of the offensive work like shanahan on the broncos..

dat_boy_yec
01-24-2006, 09:12 PM
Who is this RC? Is it possible he might come here. To be honest I just want the 3-4 to stay and any dc that could make that happen would make me happy.

outofhnd
01-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Why do you want the 3-4 to stay? I kinda prefer the ol 4-3 scheme more than the 3-4

Apoch
01-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Who is this RC? Is it possible he might come here. To be honest I just want the 3-4 to stay and any dc that could make that happen would make me happy.

R C Slocum (taken from wikipedia)...

R.C. Slocum was the head football coach at Texas A&M University from 1989 until 2003. During his 14 years as head coach R.C. led the Aggies to a record of 123-47-2, making him the winningest coach in Texas A&M history. Also during his career R.C. never had a losing season, won four conference championships, including the Big 12 title in 1998, and led Texas A&M to become the first school in Southwest Conference history to post three consecutive perfect conference seasons.

He was also named SWC Coach of the Year three times during that timeframe. His "Wrecking Crew" defense led the SWC in all four statistical categories from 1991 through 1993 and led the nation in total defense in 1991.

During R.C.'s career at A&M he had over 50 players drafted by the NFL.

In 1981, became the defensive coordinator at the University of Southern California before returning to A&M the following year.

Like someone already said, bringing him in as a 3-4 consultant would be fantastic, but I wouldn't want him to be the DC.

LCOOL
01-24-2006, 09:23 PM
R C Slocum (taken from wikipedia)...

R.C. Slocum was the head football coach at Texas A&M University from 1989 until 2003. During his 14 years as head coach R.C. led the Aggies to a record of 123-47-2, making him the winningest coach in Texas A&M history. Also during his career R.C. never had a losing season, won four conference championships, including the Big 12 title in 1998, and led Texas A&M to become the first school in Southwest Conference history to post three consecutive perfect conference seasons.

He was also named SWC Coach of the Year three times during that timeframe. His "Wrecking Crew" defense led the SWC in all four statistical categories from 1991 through 1993 and led the nation in total defense in 1991.

During R.C.'s career at A&M he had over 50 players drafted by the NFL.

In 1981, became the defensive coordinator at the University of Southern California before returning to A&M the following year.

Like someone already said, bringing him in as a 3-4 consultant would be fantastic, but I wouldn't want him to be the DC.
What about Mike Tice has the OL coach, Gray DC, and Palmer OC?

dat_boy_yec
01-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Why do you want the 3-4 to stay? I kinda prefer the ol 4-3 scheme more than the 3-4

I could live with the 4-3 so don't get me wrong. I think that 3-4 is a system that is more effective in that it is seen less and provides more blitzing options. Steelers, and a handful of other teams use it and it looks very efficient. Also its been mentioned before but the personnel is more inclined to the 3-4. If anything I would want a mix of both, but if I had too choose I would like to stay with the 3-4

Do you think RC it's possible he might come in as a consultant or is it just like wishful thinking.

Apoch
01-24-2006, 09:34 PM
What about Mike Tice has the OL coach, Gray DC, and Palmer OC?

Mike Tice knows jack about the Denver-designed zone-blocking system. If Rick Dennison is out of the picture (which I thought from the beginning he would) then David Diaz-Infante would make a great OL coach. He was the 6th man on the Denver Superbowl teams, and could play every OL position. If anyone knows how the system works it is him.

So far the best looking offensive posibilities are:

OC: Brian Pariani
QB: Troy Calhoun
RB: ??? (look on University of Minnesota staff perhaps?)
WR: Kyle Shanahan
OL: David Diaz-Infante (would be solid with his experience)
OL advisor: Alex Gibbs (the jackpot if you want the running game to work)

Defense is up in the air. We don't know yet if Kubiak will want to stay with a 3-4 scheme or switch. That will take serious evaluation, but Gray has to be the best choice as of right now. He is a solid DC who knows both defensive systems, and has coached great talent.

outofhnd
01-24-2006, 09:37 PM
I dont think it was more effective the majority of the top defenses ran the 4-3 or Cover 2 defense, Tampa, Chicago, Indy, KC, Denver, Seattle, Carolina, Giants, Cincy

3-4 teams Pittsburgh, New England, Cleveland, San Diego, San Fran, Miami, Raiders, Dallas,

Id have to go with the 4-3 unless you have 4 huge safeties that can tackle at linebacker and 3 monsters on the D line, because our front three cannot occupy the Oline like pittsburgh's 3...

profan
01-24-2006, 09:44 PM

Well, i'm a big longhorn fan and have been wanting Kubiak to be the hire from the start. I want the best for this team. So don't just carelessly assume all ut fans are against everything non ut. Oh, i also have been to nearly every texan home game and cheer for a team that features players from a large variety of colleges. Would like to see some ut players on the roster if they are the best available to meet our needs. If not, so be it. UT has some great players in the pros and a pipeline of potential pros. Tech also has a hard hitting safety i would not mind seeing on the field.

dat_boy_yec
01-24-2006, 10:04 PM
I dont think it was more effective the majority of the top defenses ran the 4-3 or Cover 2 defense, Tampa, Chicago, Indy, KC, Denver, Seattle, Carolina, Giants, Cincy

3-4 teams Pittsburgh, New England, Cleveland, San Diego, San Fran, Miami, Raiders, Dallas,

Id have to go with the 4-3 unless you have 4 huge safeties that can tackle at linebacker and 3 monsters on the D line, because our front three cannot occupy the Oline like pittsburgh's 3...

Of course the majority of the top defenses would be 4-3 many more teams work from that format so the likelyhood of them coming out on top is to be expected.

San Diego and some of the other teams you mentioned run a combination, so you can't really say they're geared towards one or the other philosophy, Miami I will wait till next yr. to see what capers does with that team, but I'm sure they will definetely improve.

What I think as far as our team goes is if they do change to 4-3 then next year should be a transitional period where we run both defenses to evaluate the talent and take pressure off ourselves too try to fix everything in one offseason. So we can pick up one or 2 additions and prepare over the course of the season to see what should be done. If we stay in the 3-4 we can focus on improving if not we go thru a transitional period. I dunno I just want the team to improve so I guess we gotta wait till the DC is appointed, but that's just my opinion.

Apoch
01-24-2006, 10:21 PM
Of course the majority of the top defenses would be 4-3 many more teams work from that format so the likelyhood of them coming out on top is to be expected.

San Diego and some of the other teams you mentioned run a combination, so you can't really say they're geared towards one or the other philosophy, Miami I will wait till next yr. to see what capers does with that team, but I'm sure they will definetely improve.

What I think as far as our team goes is if they do change to 4-3 then next year should be a transitional period where we run both defenses to evaluate the talent and take pressure off ourselves too try to fix everything in one offseason. So we can pick up one or 2 additions and prepare over the course of the season to see what should be done. If we stay in the 3-4 we can focus on improving if not we go thru a transitional period. I dunno I just want the team to improve so I guess we gotta wait till the DC is appointed, but that's just my opinion.

I agree.

Improving the 3-4 defense is best bet at this point. The Texans are only missing a few key ingredients to a major defensive improvement. One is the NT spot. It is a simple fact that a 3-4 defense turns the corner from lousy to legit with superior play from a dominating NT. What is the difference between New England and Cleveland?... Vince Wilfork. Pittsburgh and San Fran?... Casey Hampton. It is the #1 most important piece of a 3-4 defense, and Payne simply doesn't cut it.

Why is no one looking at Gabe Watson with the 33rd pick? There is only one team that would take him before that pick (Dallas at #18), and he has shown how dominating he can be in the past and in the current Senior Bowl. It would be an amazing draft if the Texans could pick up a dominating offensive player (whether it is Bush, Young, or Ferguson) and a dominating defensive player in the first few picks.

outofhnd
01-24-2006, 11:21 PM
Yea this defense was my only drawback to the hiring of Dom Capers back in 2001... I have never really liked the 3-4. its like the volkswagen of defenses in a chevy or ford dominated environment, sure you dont see many and they drive just as good but when the volkswagen has problem you dont find parts for it as easily as you would a chevy or ford...

I love the 4-3 but a hybrid wouldnt be a bad idea either for us we need to use some deception and confusion maybe then with some more defensive line talent we can get more pressure.

Apoch
01-24-2006, 11:48 PM
Yea this defense was my only drawback to the hiring of Dom Capers back in 2001... I have never really liked the 3-4. its like the volkswagen of defenses in a chevy or ford dominated environment, sure you dont see many and they drive just as good but when the volkswagen has problem you dont find parts for it as easily as you would a chevy or ford...

I love the 4-3 but a hybrid wouldnt be a bad idea either for us we need to use some deception and confusion maybe then with some more defensive line talent we can get more pressure.

Yeah, a hybrid defense always sounds great, but effectively doing it is another story. If a 3-4 is a volkswagen and a 4-3 a chevy then a hybrid is a Honda. Yeah, you can customize them to look and drive like you want, but it will never be as straight line fast as a Corvette, or as reliable as a Bug.

Building an effective hybrid defense would be even harder than doing one or the other at this point. The only teams that can do the whole "hybrid" thing have very special personel.

Tennessee did it from '00 to '03, but they could because they had a player like Jevon Kearse (a 'freak' 3-4 OLB combined with a 4-3 RE), outstanding toughness at all positions, quality depth and specialization, and simply fantastic cover corners (Rolle and Walker). Oh yeah, and they had a certain DC named Gregg Williams. You might have heard of him.

New England has done it from '02 to the present, but they have a guy named Richard Seymour who can play (and dominate) in any spot they want. They have so many linebackers that can do so many jobs, draftloads of young players that can fill in holes, and a true run stuffing NT.

The Texans can barely field a servicable defense of any kind. A specialized hybrid requires specialized players. Whoever Houston's next DC is will determine which players are key to building on, and deside on scheme from there. I personally hope that it remains a 3-4 because I believe a 3-4 scheme best compliments the offense Kubiak will bring to the Texans. I should know after following Denver for the entire Shanahan era.

bigTEXan8
01-25-2006, 12:00 AM
Yeah, a hybrid defense always sounds great, but effectively doing it is another story. If a 3-4 is a volkswagen and a 4-3 a chevy then a hybrid is a Honda. Yeah, you can customize them to look and drive like you want, but it will never be as straight line fast as a Corvette, or as reliable as a Bug.

Building an effective hybrid defense would be even harder than doing one or the other at this point. The only teams that can do the whole "hybrid" thing have very special personel.

Tennessee did it from '00 to '03, but they could because they had a player like Jevon Kearse (a 'freak' 3-4 OLB combined with a 4-3 RE), outstanding toughness at all positions, quality depth and specialization, and simply fantastic cover corners (Rolle and Walker). Oh yeah, and they had a certain DC named Gregg Williams. You might have heard of him.

New England has done it from '02 to the present, but they have a guy named Richard Seymour who can play (and dominate) in any spot they want. They have so many linebackers that can do so many jobs, draftloads of young players that can fill in holes, and a true run stuffing NT.

The Texans can barely field a servicable defense of any kind. A specialized hybrid requires specialized players. Whoever Houston's next DC is will determine which players are key to building on, and deside on scheme from there. I personally hope that it remains a 3-4 because I believe a 3-4 scheme best compliments the offense Kubiak will bring to the Texans. I should know after following Denver for the entire Shanahan era.

I was wondering where you think a Chevy Silverado would fit into this equation? Just playin...good analogy. Great way of analyzing the issue of that hybrid offense.

outofhnd
01-25-2006, 12:33 AM
I got an idea lets just construct a force field that keeps oppenents from crossing the goal line...

With our front 7 we just have a mess... I Dunno if wong was able to make the transition to inside backer,

If we stay with the 3-4 what about moving Orr inside? he seems to always be around the ball and penetrates... Maybe

I say it should be Orr Greenwood Polk on the inside and if we draft someone cool.. outside Peek Babin wong anderson in a rotation...
if we go 4-3

TJ/babin Walker Smith Babin/peek (the slashes are for passing situations the ones on the right
will be in on passing situations)
Greenwood/wong Orr/pick Peek/Anderson

AustinJB
01-25-2006, 12:53 AM
I like the 3-4 too b/c it confuses a lot of teams. The main components of a 3-4 are a dominating NT, MLB & excellent safeties. Then you obviously build around that. That has been our problem...we don't have those necessary players.

Think it's coincidence that our 3-4 fell apart when Sharper left? No, he was experienced in that role and calling the plays having previously played beside Ray Lewis in Balt. I also believe it was the reason we took T.Johnson last year (although he is not in the class of a V.Wilfork or C.Hampton.)

With that being said, we need improved personnel to continue the 3-4 OR new personnel to run the 4-3. Either way, I'll be happy as long either is run the correct way.

infantrycak
01-25-2006, 01:01 AM
Think it's coincidence that our 3-4 fell apart when Sharper left? No, he was experienced in that role and calling the plays having previously played beside Ray Lewis in Balt.

Sharper played OLB in Baltimore's then 4-3 defense and he did not call the plays either there or here--Jay Foreman made the calls here. Otherwise, a very good theory.

I also believe it was the reason we took T.Johnson last year (although he is not in the class of a V.Wilfork or C.Hampton.)

And TJ wasn't drafted to play NT as Wilfork and Hampton were--TJ was drafted to play DE in the Texans' 3-4.

AustinJB
01-25-2006, 01:07 AM
Sharper played OLB in Baltimore's then 4-3 defense and he did not call the plays either there or here--Jay Foreman made the calls here. Otherwise, a very good theory.

Yes, you're correct. So...it fell apart when Sharper AND Foreman left

And TJ wasn't drafted to play NT as Wilfork and Hampton were--TJ was drafted to play DE in the Texans' 3-4.

Was my impression that TJ was going to be groomed behind Payne and forced into DE per injuries.

outofhnd
01-25-2006, 01:11 AM
Well we need more than just TJ it was a start I will say that, But we dont have D line penetration from a 3-4 standpoint.

OLB Peek is a good pass rusher but he needs to perfect his technique his angles to the qb are too sharp and he gets pinched by an experienced LT. His shedding move needs some work along with babins they just seem to like velcro themselves to an o lineman..

our MLBs need to diagnose the play and get in position faster.. they always seem to be 5 yards off on runs..

Corner wise I expect Big improvement from Buchanon, Our coverage schemes blew because our lack of penetration allows recievers to work open. I think Buchanon was not comfotable and felt he would have safety help more than he did.. Im hoping in year 2 with a fresh defense that he will come around as he will be learning with the rest of the players and be on the same page..

Safety to me this position is our most perplexing... I cant really grade any of them out at all they all played good at some points at others looked completely horrid..any one wanna shed more light on safeties please do because they were so inconsistent part of me wants to get rid of em all and start fresh..

outofhnd
01-25-2006, 01:12 AM
Was my impression that TJ was going to be groomed behind Payne and forced into DE per injuries.

See I thought He was coming in as a utility D lineman that could rotate with either Payne or one of the Ends... I thought the big draw on him was he could play anywhere on our line...

infantrycak
01-25-2006, 01:19 AM
See I thought He was coming in as a utility D lineman that could rotate with either Payne or one of the Ends... I thought the big draw on him was he could play anywhere on our line...

Casserly did say in an interview that TJ could play any position on a 3-4 DL, but in practice and in the games his time has been spent at DE. TJ is much more similar to Walker than he is to Payne or any classic 3-4 NT.

dat_boy_yec
01-25-2006, 06:46 PM
I think that it depends on what scheme we'll go with this yr. but I think that if we stay with the current 3-4 we should get a NT. I think that is a vital part of this scheme and one in which we are lacking. I am sure there will be a good NT in the second like Watson or Wright. If we went with the 4-3 then I would think our biggest need would be DE I feel that we are overloaded at many of our positions with guys we just don't utilize. So I would hope some people might be involved in a trade or something, but our d-line, no our defense on a whole needs a lot of small adjustments. I think we need tweaks in our system, but it's so many tweaks that we need the problem seems overwhelming.

Texans Pride
01-25-2006, 07:22 PM
I read in the Chronicle that Sherman is going to joing the staff as the OC, but I haven't seen any big post about it, or really any mention of it at all. Am I reading the below blurb incorrectly, is he not our new OC?

Any help would be great:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3610629.html

One candidate to join Kubiak as offensive coordinator is former Green Bay coach Mike Sherman, who was fired at season's end. Sherman was the offensive line coach at Texas A&M in 1992-93, when Kubiak coached Aggies running backs.

TEXANS84
01-25-2006, 07:27 PM
One candidate to join Kubiak as offensive coordinator is former Green Bay coach Mike Sherman, who was fired at season's end.

So far he's just that, a candidate.

No news other than that.

Texans Pride
01-25-2006, 07:39 PM
So far he's just that, a candidate.

No news other than that.

Ok, I was taking it as if he had joined already.

I heard on NFL Total Access last night that Sherman would not take a coordinator position this year, that if a HC position wasn't available that he would opt to sit out a year and wait.

Texian
01-25-2006, 11:01 PM
Mike Heimerdinger Information

Heimerdinger, 52, joins the Jets after having served the past five seasons (2000-2004) as the offensive coordinator of the AFC South’s Tennessee Titans, where he annually directed one of the NFL’s most potent offensive attacks. From 1999 -2003, all of the Titans offensive weapons posted career-high numbers and produced an NFL MVP in QB Steve McNair. In 2003, the Titans scored the most points (435) since 1961 and the second highest total in franchise history. The Titans’ offense also posted a franchise record with six consecutive games scoring 30 or more points last season and became only the third NFL team to accomplish such a streak since 1970 (St. Louis Rams, San Diego Chargers).

In both 2002 and 2003, the Titans produced the first two 3,000/1,000/1,000 yard seasons in the 45-year history of the franchise with McNair throwing for more than 3,000 yards, Eddie George rushing for over 1,000 yards and Derrick Mason recording 1,000 receiving yards.

In the five-year period that Heimerdinger directed the offense, they were the most productive in terms of yards (26,962), passing yards (17,638) and first downs (1,517) since the "run-n-shoot" years over a decade ago. Over the course of his tenure in Tennessee, the Titans averaged 337 yards per game in total offense, 220.5 yards a game passing and 19 first downs a game.

In addition, the Titans ranked in the top five in the NFL in time of possession in each of the last five seasons.

Heimerdinger joined the Titans after five seasons coaching the wide receivers for the two-time world champion Denver Broncos. Under his tutelage, the Denver tandem of Ed McCaffrey and Rod Smith became one of the top wide receiving duos in the NFL. Heimerdinger came to Denver in 1995 from Duke University where he was the offensive coordinator and running backs coach in 1994. Before his stint at Duke, Heimerdinger spent five years (1989-‘93) as offensive coordinator at Rice University. During his tenure, the Owls produced the school's first back-to-back winning seasons since 1960-‘61. In 1988, Heimerdinger also served as offensive coordinator at Cal-State Fullerton, where his club set the school's single-game record for most points scored with 58.

A native of DeKalb, IL (10/13/52), Heimerdinger played wide receiver (1970-71) and centerfield at Eastern Illinois, where he earned his degree in history in 1975. He also participated in the NCAA Division II College World Series in 1974. He later earned his master’s in Administration from Northern Illinois. Mike and his wife, Kathie are parents of daughter, Alicia (22) and son, Brian (18).

Here is some 2004 information on the new offensive coordinator:
Mike Heimerdinger enters his fifth season as offensive coordinator for the Titans. In his first four seasons at the offensive controls, the Titans have transformed into a wide receiver-driven offense that also can control the game with its rushing attack. In the past four seasons all of the Titans offensive weapons have posted career-high numbers and produced an NFL MVP in QB Steve McNair.
Last year, the Titans scored the most points (435) since 1961 and the second highest in franchise history. The Titans offense also posted a franchise record with six consecutive games scoring 30 or more points last season and became only the third NFL team to accomplish such a streak since 1970 (St. Louis Rams, San Diego Chargers).
In each of the last two years, the Titans produced the first two 3,000/1,000/1,000 yard seasons in the 44-year history of the franchise with Steve McNair throwing for more than 3,000 yards, Eddie George rushing for over 1,000 yards and Derrick Mason recording 1,000 receiving yards . The current four-year period has been the most productive in terms of yards (21,475), passing yards (14,022) and first downs (1,209) since the "run-n-shoot" years over a decade ago. Additionally, the Titans have ranked in the top 5 in the NFL in time of possession in each of the last four seasons.
QB Steve McNair has developed into an elite NFL quarterback under Heimerdinger, being named AP Co-MVP of the league last season. He became the first quarterback in franchise history to win the award and only the second overall (Earl Campbell, 1979). He was the only NFL quarterback last year to register a quarterback rating over 100 and has the highest rating in the NFL over the last three years (90.9) among quarterbacks with at least 40 starts (of a possible 48). McNair produced a touchdown in each of his 14 starts last year and in 39 of the last 41 games, including a team record stretch of 23 consecutive games with at least one touchdown pass, surpassing Warren Moon. In 2001, McNair was the youngest quarterback of five in the NFL to record a rating over 90 and throw for 20+ touchdowns (Favre, Warner, Gannon and Garcia), becoming the first AFC Central quarterback to accomplish the feat since Warren Moon in 1991.
Over the last four seasons WR Derrick Mason established himself as a "go to" receiver, totaling 4,338 receiving yards, 27 touchdowns and a Pro Bowl invitation last year. He became the first wide receiver in franchise history to record three consecutive 1,000 yard receiving seasons and posted the fourth highest yardage total for the Titans/Oilers last year with 1,303 yards. RB Eddie George surpassed the 1,500-yard rushing plateau in 2000, has scored 40 touchdowns over the last four seasons and surpassed the 10,000-yard career rushing mark last season. Heimerdinger also has overseen the development of the Titans young offensive weapons – Drew Bennett, Erron Kinney, Shad Meier, Tyrone Calico - each set career highs last season.
Heimerdinger joined the Titans after five seasons coaching the wide receivers for the two-time world champion Denver Broncos. Under his tutelage, the Denver tandem of Ed McCaffrey and Rod Smith became one of the top wide receiving duos in the NFL. Heimerdinger came to Denver in 1995 from Duke University where he was the offensive coordinator and running backs coach in 1994. Before Duke, Heimerdinger spent five years (1989-93) as offensive coordinator at Rice University. During his tenure, the Owls produced the school's first back-to-back winning seasons since 1960-61. In 1988, Heimerdinger also served as offensive coordinator at Cal-State Fullerton, where his club set the school's single-game record for most points scored with 58. Heimerdinger began his coaching career in 1975 in the high school ranks of Illinois and earned a head coaching job at Johnsburgh High School in McHenry, Ill. Two years later, he served as a graduate assistant coach at the University of Florida in 1980. He spent 1981 at Air Force and at North Texas State in 1982 before returning to Florida in 1983. He spent five years at Florida before moving onto Cal-State Fullerton. A native of Dekalb, Ill. (10/13/52), Heimerdinger played wide receiver (1970-71) and centerfield at Eastern Illinois, where he earned his degree in history in 1975. He also participated in the NCAA Division II College World Series in 1974. He later earned his master’s in Administration from Northern Illinois. Mike and his wife Kathie are parents of daughter, Alicia (22) and son, Brian (18).

HEIMERDINGER’S COACHING LEDGER
2000-03 Offensive Coordinator, Tennessee Titans
1995-99 Wide Receivers Coach, Denver Broncos
1994 Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Backs Coach, Duke University
1989-93 Offensive Coordinator, Rice University
1988 Offensive Coordinator, Cal State-Fullerton
1983-87 Wide Receivers, University of Florida
1982 Quarterbacks, North Texas State
1981 Wide Receivers, Air Force Academy
1980 Graduate Assistant, University of Florida
1979-78 Head Coach, Johnsburgh High School, McHenry, Ill
1975-77 Asst. Coach, Grant High School, Fox Lake, Ill

Paragon Blue
01-27-2006, 02:56 PM
Texans | Team will hire Diaz-Infante
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 22:55:03 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans plan to hire David Diaz-Infante as their assistant offensive line coach.
KFFL

D-ReK
01-27-2006, 03:00 PM

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans plan to hire David Diaz-Infante as their assistant offensive line coach.
KFFL

Assistant OL coach? Looks like we're going to be grooming him to take over for whoever our real OL coach is...I'm still hoping for Alex Gibbs...

Capster67
01-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Sounds like it could be Mike Sherman (asst offensive coach/line) per today's Chronicle.

texan279
01-27-2006, 04:23 PM

KFFL

Isn't this guy a radio announcer??? Nevermind I forgot he played in the NFL...

texansfan1974
01-27-2006, 04:26 PM
I like this about Sherman coming in as asst. HC I think he could compliment Kubes. Does anyone have any other thought on this.

TEXANS84
01-27-2006, 04:27 PM
It is not a for sure thing yet, and sources are still not verified.

4Texans
01-27-2006, 05:43 PM
Isn't this guy a radio announcer??? Nevermind I forgot he played in the NFL...

Yes, he was an OL for the Broncos, and now he's a Broncos Radio announcer.