PDA

View Full Version : Another Denver Philosophy

Runner
01-14-2006, 06:48 PM
I think many players are looking forward to having Kubiak and the Denver system here. Not only is he a successful coach - and Kubiak's and Reeves' Super Bowl rings do influence the players positively - but there is another reason.

The Texans have been known for their very tough coaches sessions and training camps. The coaches thought the full contact two-a-days in the Texas heat during training camp made the team tough. The players had other ideas though - they thought it wore them down. The players were backed up on this by the strength coach - he thought our training camps were detrimental to the team's conditioning and therefore playing abilities.

Denver does training camp much differently - they have many training sessions where it's helmet only and even "Hat Days" where they can wear baseball caps instead of helmets. They do much less full contact work and more learning of the nuances of the system and how to play together. This is something that always seemed lacking to me in the Texans this year. It seems like there was always one player or another who wasn't quite in sync.

With a more reasonable training camp, the players end up starting the season much fresher - and healthier. I've heard that they continue this throughout the season; Denver has more workouts during the week in shells rather than full pads. In the best of all worlds maybe this will help veterans such as Weigert and Walker stay on the field more through less wear and tear. It should also result in a team that has more energy and plays better together. This could have a great impact on our o-line and defensive pass protection among others.

One more reason to look forward to Kubiak and next season.

DRIFTAWAY
01-14-2006, 06:50 PM
agreed

Jack Bauer
01-14-2006, 06:51 PM
I understand your point. I don't know that I have heard the players complaining about this, but I will take your word for it. I don't think this is why we got out of the box so slow at the beginning of the year. I can see this being a factor at the end of the year. FYI, for the two-a-days during TC, the team practiced once outside and the other session was in the training bubble.

Runner
01-14-2006, 07:07 PM
I understand your point. I don't know that I have heard the players complaining about this, but I will take your word for it. I don't think this is why we got out of the box so slow at the beginning of the year. I can see this being a factor at the end of the year. FYI, for the two-a-days during TC, the team practiced once outside and the other session was in the training bubble.

In my opinion, I think it at least affected o-line play at the beginning of the year. I don't think Riley had enough time learning the system to be comfortable in his assignments in relation to what other players were doing during pass blocking. This, in addition to his physical limitations, resulted in his poor play.

At the time, I thought that the "wearing down" factor did affect us toward the end of last year. However, I now also think Pendry's influence in the coaching also contributed to our second half slide.

Texans_Chick
01-14-2006, 07:18 PM
Interesting point. I hadn't heard that.

And so much for being better in the heat helping us with Pittsburgh. (Ayyyy! I still get flashbacks!!!!)

And maybe Joppru gets out of camp this year in one piece? I feel bad for him.

:texflag:

edo783
01-14-2006, 07:28 PM
And maybe Joppru gets out of camp this year in one piece? I feel bad for him.:texflag:

You and me both. If the kid didn't have bad luck, he wouldn't have any luck at all.

Runner
01-14-2006, 07:50 PM
I think a lot of this has to do with the evolution of the game. There is so much money, and competition for the positions to earn that money, that the players treat the off-season differently than in "the old days".

The modern day player typically comes to camp in game shape or close to it. They work hard on their conditioning during the off-season. This is a generalization so I'm sure that exceptions could be pointed out, but I think my point is valid.

I think the players that do come in after working hard during the off-season should reap the benefits by having more time to learn the system while the others literally "work their butts off".

TexansFanatic
03-23-2006, 10:27 AM
I think many players are looking forward to having Kubiak and the Denver system here. Not only is he a successful coach - and Kubiak's and Reeves' Super Bowl rings do influence the players positively - but there is another reason.

The Texans have been known for their very tough coaches sessions and training camps. The coaches thought the full contact two-a-days in the Texas heat during training camp made the team tough. The players had other ideas though - they thought it wore them down. The players were backed up on this by the strength coach - he thought our training camps were detrimental to the team's conditioning and therefore playing abilities.

Denver does training camp much differently - they have many training sessions where it's helmet only and even "Hat Days" where they can wear baseball caps instead of helmets. They do much less full contact work and more learning of the nuances of the system and how to play together. This is something that always seemed lacking to me in the Texans this year. It seems like there was always one player or another who wasn't quite in sync.

With a more reasonable training camp, the players end up starting the season much fresher - and healthier. I've heard that they continue this throughout the season; Denver has more workouts during the week in shells rather than full pads. In the best of all worlds maybe this will help veterans such as Weigert and Walker stay on the field more through less wear and tear. It should also result in a team that has more energy and plays better together. This could have a great impact on our o-line and defensive pass protection among others.

I always suspected this was one of the reasons the Texans suffered so many injuries during training camp. Overworking your players during camp is just plain STUPID. Thank God Capers is gone.

Big B Texan Fan
03-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Not only is he a successful coach - and Kubiak's and Reeves' Super Bowl rings do influence the players positively
It was Kubes and Shanny, not Kubes and Reeves.

Runner
03-23-2006, 10:41 AM

Point taken, but Reeves got one as a player (before our current players were born). I think the original post was pre-Shanahan.

dirty steve
03-23-2006, 10:41 AM

i think he was talking about the rings reeves had before he came to the broncos.

bigTEXan8
03-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Hey, anything to get these players moving in the right direction. Kubiak will bring a breath of fresh air into the team, get them motivated, and instill a winning attitude instead of "trying not to lose" attitude. I'm not bothered by FA like some posters have expressed, but Kubiak to me if going to be a stud. Next big coach...JM:twocents:

Double Barrel
03-23-2006, 11:27 AM
Good points, Runner. :thumbup

I think it is a different approach, one where teamwork and being on the same page is more important than conditioning. You see walkthroughs in many different group activities, and it stresses the mental aspect over the physical. I the old regime had a lot of old school mentality about them, and it is refreshing to see Kubiak's approach, as it's more cerebral.

Sportsfan
03-23-2006, 11:44 AM
In the best of all worlds maybe this will help veterans such as Weigert and Walker stay on the field more through less wear and tear.

Just thought i'd point out to you, Walker is gone. Good post though. I agree.
I'm looking forward to what Kubiak brings.

Texas
03-23-2006, 11:53 AM
This is a pretty good work ethic if you asked me. I mean with the full pad stuff and all alot of people were too exhausted to completely focus on everything thats going on. With relaxed days it gives you more of a free and open mind.

Runner
03-23-2006, 11:55 AM
Good points, Runner. :thumbup

I think it is a different approach, one where teamwork and being on the same page is more important than conditioning. You see walkthroughs in many different group activities, and it stresses the mental aspect over the physical. I the old regime had a lot of old school mentality about them, and it is refreshing to see Kubiak's approach, as it's more cerebral.

Yes, it will be nice to see areas like the o-line and the secondary act in unison rather than as a conglomeration of mis-matched parts.

I think the conditioning will be there given the nature of the modern athlete. If not, I'm hoping the coaches hold the players accountable in playing time, not meaningless $500 fines or whatever.

Just thought i'd point out to you, Walker is gone. Good post though. I agree.
I'm looking forward to what Kubiak brings.

The original post was January 14th, it is too old for me to edit to the current status.

Thanks for the "good post". There are so many things that are more or less behind the scenes that can change for the better it boggles the mind.

DoCRoN
03-23-2006, 11:56 AM
Just thought i'd point out to you, Walker is gone.

The original post was back in January, so we still had him at the time... just FYI:spy:

Big B Texan Fan
03-23-2006, 11:56 AM
i think he was talking about the rings reeves had before he came to the broncos.
Oh, OK. Now I get it.

Sportsfan
03-23-2006, 01:05 PM
Yes, it will be nice to see areas like the o-line and the secondary act in unison rather than as a conglomeration of mis-matched parts.

I think the conditioning will be there given the nature of the modern athlete. If not, I'm hoping the coaches hold the players accountable in playing time, not meaningless $500 fines or whatever.

The original post was January 14th, it is too old for me to edit to the current status.

Thanks for the "good post". There are so many things that are more or less behind the scenes that can change for the better it boggles the mind.

Haha, oops, sorry didn't even look at the date. *runs and hides like a school boy in trouble*

Ibar_Harry
03-23-2006, 01:14 PM

I have been posting on the conditioning aspect for some time, but my concern has also been over doing it in the weight room. The type of injuries BJ suffered could have been the result of over doing it there. Glenn was another one who was having problems, but once he left the Texans I believe he was injury free. I think the coaching staff has to look at both areas very carefully. There may be more than one source of the problem.

I have often wondered if Carr was over doing it in the weight room. This might be a reason for some his throwing problems. I know all players like to be strong and buff, but that does not necessarily yield the best musscle development for what you are trying to do in the game of football.

We had a basketball program at Fresno State that had been having a lot of injury problems until Ron Adams showed up as an assistant coach. He introduced stretching, and they did a lot of it, before every playing or practicing. We had very few injuries during his era with Boyd Grant at Fresno State. I became a firm advocate of that process.

Like what you said just wanted to add some additional thoughts on this subject. 4th Qtr exhaustion could have been the reason we were seeing so many problems there. I would also wonder what our pregame warmups behind the scenes were like.

BigBull17
03-23-2006, 01:15 PM
When do we move on to the other Denver Philosophy, and start attacking the Browns D-line?

Bobo
03-23-2006, 04:09 PM

Yeah, that's right. Take it easy on a 2-14 team. One more reason to look forward to Kubiak and the next season? Uh, I don't think so.

el toro
03-23-2006, 06:05 PM
Let's see, treat the players as professionals and not like high schoolers. This goes in tandem with ridding the lockerroom of all of the Zig Ziglar motivational BS.

Sounds good to me.

Erratic Assassin
03-23-2006, 07:49 PM
With a more reasonable training camp, the players end up starting the season much fresher - and healthier.

You'd think having your season cut short 4 years in a row would be rest enough.

Runner
03-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Yeah, that's right. Take it easy on a 2-14 team. One more reason to look forward to Kubiak and the next season? Uh, I don't think so.

You'd think having your season cut short 4 years in a row would be rest enough.

It's called working smarter, not harder. Like if you were trying to get into a building and you noticed your forehead hurt. You could either keep banging your head against the wall, or you could say "Hey!" and figure out the doorknob and open the door.

Runner
03-24-2006, 03:03 PM
I've heard that the off season workouts include a couple days on the weights for the lower body, a couple of days on weights for the upper body, and a number of days where they have to run too. I think players used to spread this Monday through Friday, but now Kubiak wants them done by Thursday. Three day weekends for these guys.

I guess this'll make them soft too? :rolleyes:

I see a coach that knows how to lead a team. I bet you he'll get more out of these players than anyone thought possible.

jmerog
03-24-2006, 03:36 PM
It's called working smarter, not harder. Like if you were trying to get into a building and you noticed your forehead hurt. You could either keep banging your head against the wall, or you could say "Hey!" and figure out the doorknob and open the door.

Of course you are right, but some people would rather brainlessly bash anything they dont understand than examine the results in has produceed elsewhere. Some people will not be happy no matter what--let them wallow in thier misery, they will find a way to do that no matter what.

jmerog
03-24-2006, 03:38 PM
I say go Texans! Go kubiac! This season is looking better and better and i think Kubes is to thank for most of it.

Runner
03-24-2006, 03:47 PM
I say go Texans! Go kubiac! This season is looking better and better and i think Kubes is to thank for most of it.

I think there is a lot of credit to go around for the progress that is being made. When McNair stopped being a hands-off owner (which I don't think is all bad, he's not a football guy), he became fully engaged and look at the things he did. Lots of moves were questioned before the picture began to crystalize, but we are moving in the right direction.

Reeves, Kubiak, Sherman, some Casserly ... I think the coaching staff and front office has made a giant step forward. Our talent level has gone up already, and I think Kubiak will invigorate the team when our final roster is set. The excitement is trickling down to the fans now too.

It is a work in progress and too early to judge as a success or failure, but we look like we have movement in the positive direction. This is about all you can ask for in April after a 2-14 season, and frankly is what I expected.

el toro
03-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Hopefully part of the change will include not leaving the roof open in early September when it's 100 degrees out 'becaws dem northerin boys cain't stand duh heet'.

I can't think of a more miserable experience...sitting 5 rows from the field where it's 125 degrees without any shade watching the Texans getting smoked by the eventual champs. Especially with a crapload of Steeler fans in my section.

Runner
03-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Hopefully part of the change will include not leaving the roof open in early September when it's 100 degrees out 'becaws dem northerin boys cain't stand duh heet'.

I can't think of a more miserable experience...sitting 5 rows from the field where it's 125 degrees without any shade watching the Texans getting smoked by the eventual champs. Especially with a crapload of Steeler fans in my section.

Yes, but now that I've finally recovered I'm glad I was there so I can brag about it.

done88
03-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Yes, but now that I've finally recovered I'm glad I was there so I can brag about it.

Well I was exactly one row from the field. My young daughters had to sit in the stroller with my wife upstairs in the AC but I was there. Now we were so upset about the game but it looks like that pitt team was pretty good. Texans were not as bad it looked back then however I still hope 100 + days have the roof closed.

el toro
03-24-2006, 04:00 PM

There is that.

It'll be one of those things to remember when they make the playoffs.

el toro
03-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Well I was exactly one row from the field. My young daughters had to sit in the stroller with my wife upstairs in the AC but I was there. Now we were so upset about the game but it looks like that pitt team was pretty good. Texans were not as bad it looked back then however I still hope 100 + days have the roof closed.

If I remember right, they have pledged to close the roof when it's above 80 degrees.

Texans_Chick
03-24-2006, 11:24 PM
I've heard that the off season workouts include a couple days on the weights for the lower body, a couple of days on weights for the upper body, and a number of days where they have to run too. I think players used to spread this Monday through Friday, but now Kubiak wants them done by Thursday. Three day weekends for these guys.

I guess this'll make them soft too? :rolleyes:

I see a coach that knows how to lead a team. I bet you he'll get more out of these players than anyone thought possible.

Really?? That's interesting. There is a boatload of research being done on overtraining, and how the right amount of rest can actually lead to better athletic performance.

I really can't contemplate the amount of beating these guys take. Before the Vioxx warnings, I spoke to one player about how he felt after games and he said that he took Vioxx like Skittles.

Spending more time working on hands-on scheme stuff and less on mindlessly doing drills for the exact alloted times sounds like a good thing.

touttail
03-25-2006, 01:00 PM

I'm with ya!
I was 3 rows from the field in the sun, cooking like a fried egg!

Bobby 119C