PDA

View Full Version : Quick Football Question

awtysst
01-14-2006, 06:33 PM
What is the difference between a half back, tail back, and a running back? I have heard all three seeming to be used interchangably and wanted to know what the differences were.
Thanks.

Tulip
01-14-2006, 06:59 PM
I've wondered if there was really a difference myself.

I just looked it up, and apparently, the name "tailback" came from the triple I formation, where the halfback was lined up behind the fullback and the tailback was lined up behind the halfback. Hence, the tailback is the "tail" of the formation.

It seems to me that pro football just uses the generic "running back", but colleges still use the term "tailback".

awtysst
01-14-2006, 07:25 PM
I've wondered if there was really a difference myself.

I just looked it up, and apparently, the name "tailback" came from the triple I formation, where the halfback was lined up behind the fullback and the tailback was lined up behind the halfback. Hence, the tailback is the "tail" of the formation.

It seems to me that pro football just uses the generic "running back", but colleges still use the term "tailback".

Thank you much, that was very helpful.:redtowel:

Tulip
01-14-2006, 08:34 PM
Now - the next important question:

Is it a "shovel pass", a "shuffle pass", or a "shuttle pass"?

lol:

texan279
01-14-2006, 08:54 PM
Now - the next important question:

Is it a "shovel pass", a "shuffle pass", or a "shuttle pass"?

lol:

Shovel pass.

Tulip
01-14-2006, 09:03 PM
Shovel pass.

I call it the shovel pass too.

And I missed one - it's also called the "Utah pass".

michaelm
01-14-2006, 11:40 PM
What is the difference between a half back, tail back, and a running back? I have heard all three seeming to be used interchangably and wanted to know what the differences were.
Thanks.

I always thought that the names of the positions originated as literal terms.
ie... the quarterback was 1/4 back from the center or line of scrimmage, the halfback was 1/2 way, and the fullback was the one farthest from the line.
I assumed that it just evolved along the way. Then Running back was just a generic term. Not sure about the origins of tailback, but based on my other assumptions I would think it is another way to say the 'back' who is farthest from the line... at the tail...?

Peldon
01-15-2006, 12:14 AM
In the strictest sense, the tailback is the back at the rear, or "tail-end", of the "I" formation, in which at least two of the three other backs line up directly under the quarterback, who is under center.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tailback