PDA

View Full Version : Heard today that Casserly doesn't like...

BattleRedTexan
01-12-2006, 11:01 PM
I heard on the radio today, from a "reliable source," that Charley Casserly doesn't like Vince Young.

Apparently, Casserly thinks he is "underdeveloped."

Man, I wished they would have fired that guy. He is single handedly going to bring the team down...

Hookem Horns
01-12-2006, 11:06 PM
I heard on the radio today, from a "reliable source," that Charley Casserly doesn't like Vince Young.

Man, I wished they would have fired that guy. He is single handedly going to bring the team down...

He's not as developed as Philip Buchanan, Jason Babin, and Dave Ragone huh?

GP
01-12-2006, 11:11 PM
hook em:

talk to me about your avatar.

is that good 'old Texas fun, or are you serious about it?

are you giving up on us drafting VY, or trying to make a political statement?

just curious.

man, you make more avatars than anybody I know...

LoneStarState
01-12-2006, 11:12 PM
What are you guys going to do when some scouts just dis the heck outta VY? Not everyone thinks is the best thing since sliced bread despite his obvious atheletic abilities... You don't seem to have a problem calling somebody elses baby ugly - but when someone returns the favor - Katy bar the door!

tulexan
01-12-2006, 11:16 PM
They are going to call them ignorant and say that they obviously haven't seen him play.

What do they know, they are only professionals?

Wordem
01-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Two words: Heath Shuler.

CC still thinks that was a good pick. It's a crap shoot.

VY is as good as a Texan. He's the one. Period.

Grid
01-12-2006, 11:22 PM
no he isnt. period.

LoneStarState
01-12-2006, 11:24 PM

Hmmm. Norv Turner was the coach of the Redskins when Shuler was drafted. He has a history of coaching qbs - I'm sure he had input on the draft selection, too. Maybe there's a reason he's been fired from the head coaching jobs he's had... just a thought.

Wordem
01-12-2006, 11:26 PM
We're taking VY. Just wait.

Grid
01-12-2006, 11:28 PM
now thats an idea i can get behind. Lets all say who is going to get taken.. and then just wait.. no more posting on it.

We are taking Bush.. see ya in March :)

Wordem
Hmmm. Norv Turner was the coach of the Redskins when Shuler was drafted. He has a history of coaching qbs - I'm sure he had input on the draft selection, too. Maybe there's a reason he's been fired from the head coaching jobs he's had... just a thought.

Maybe there's a reason Casserly got fired and the Redskins are in the playoffs. Hmmmmmm.

LoneStarState
And what if we don't? I'm sure you can get VY Saints jerseys on nflshop.com.

Big B Texan Fan
We're taking VY. Just wait.
I hope we do but it doesn't help when we put his picture on our homepage.

LoneStarState
01-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Maybe there's a reason Casserly got fired and the Redskins are in the playoffs. Hmmmmmm.
I'm sure it has absolutely NOTHING to do with Joe Gibbs being the head coach.

Errant Hothy
01-12-2006, 11:30 PM

Vince Young is UNDERDEVELOPED. Sorry its a fact, if you want a polished QB who might start in year 1, draft Leinhart. If you want to take a chance on a plyer who may be better then the top 2%, you draft VY.

I thought this was common and accept knowledge.

Wordem
01-12-2006, 11:32 PM

For people who don't watch a lot of Longhorn football. Sure. They're all wrong. Period. He could play next year and the Texans would win eight games. He's that good.

tulexan
01-12-2006, 11:34 PM
For people who don't watch a lot of Longhorn football. Sure. They're all wrong. Period. He could play next year and the Texans would win eight games. He's that good.

Yeah if the Texans played in NFL Europe.

Vince could school the Rhein Fire and Scottish Claymores.

LoneStarState
01-12-2006, 11:36 PM
Don't forget the CFL or Arena League. Really, Wordem, how much to you know about professional football?

Errant Hothy
01-12-2006, 11:38 PM
Dude, lay off the accusation that people who querstion VY dont watch UT football, becasue its not only wrong, and shortsided, it's also just ignorant.

if draft I would not want VY to start next year. IF any QB screamed for the McNair treatment it's Vince. He needs tiem to work on his reads, fine tune his sense of when he should run and when he should not, learn to slide for extra yards and just get teh hand of a pro style offense (becasue I highly doubt will be running the spread next year)

oh, FYI I've seen every UT game for nearly the last decade, and while VY maybe the most gifted QB ever to step onto Jamil Feild, he also has the worst throwing motion (not that it will hurt him much, but i does negate his height when he throws it from the funky side arm angle)

Wordem
01-12-2006, 11:41 PM
FYI I've seen every UT game for nearly the last decade, and while VY maybe the most gifted QB ever to step onto Jamil Feild

That's funny. You reek of aggy.

Grid
01-12-2006, 11:43 PM
If this wasnt a family board....hehehe.

I think its safe to say though that Wordem here is not going to change his mind about Vince Young being an instant hall of fame QB. Im just gonna let him be.. after the draft, if we dont get Vince.. we wont ever see him again anyway. he will undoubtably become a "hardcore" fan for whatever team gets him.

TexanSam
01-12-2006, 11:44 PM
Here's what I don't get, were all of you guys clamoring to fire Casserly after our 4-12, 5-11, and 7-9 seasons where we showed improvement? Yes, I have questions about Casserly's judgement, but I do think they should give him at least one more year. I'm probably in the minority there, but that's just my opinion.

Big B Texan Fan
01-12-2006, 11:44 PM
Vince Young is UNDERDEVELOPED. Sorry its a fact, if you want a polished QB who might start in year 1, draft Leinhart. If you want to take a chance on a plyer who may be better then the top 2%, you draft VY.

Just as common as Bush being undersized, and sidelined in a big game by a formal NFL coach who was enamoured by VY.

Bobo
01-12-2006, 11:45 PM

Um, Vince Young IS underdeveloped -- just like every college QB. Even Peyton Manning had a rough rookie year.

Big B Texan Fan
01-12-2006, 11:46 PM
If this wasnt a family board....hehehe.

I think its safe to say though that Wordem here is not going to change his mind about Vince Young being an instant hall of fame QB. Im just gonna let him be.. after the draft, if we dont get Vince.. we wont ever see him again anyway. he will undoubtably become a "hardcore" fan for whatever team gets him.
Is it safe to say that you want bush an we cannot change your mind?????

Errant Hothy
01-12-2006, 11:47 PM
Just as common as Bush being undersized, and sidelined in a big game by a formal NFL coach who was enamoured by VY.

A former NFL coach who sucked at New England, a coach who has out coached by Mack Brown (who unitll this year had serious questions about his ability to win a big game). Oh and wasn't he sidelined for a guy who was tearing up the vaunted UT D?

Yeah, I thought he was. You can't knock Bush for Carroll's moronic actions at the end of the Rose Bowl. Was is Bush's fault that Pete called a timeout before UT went for 2?

Grid
01-12-2006, 11:48 PM
I dont hate him yet Texansam. I think we just need to get him a bit of help..and put some boundaries on what he can do.

I have no complaints with Casserly's drafting. I think he has done a good job overall. Heck.. we have had 3 players in the last 3 drafts who were all either Rookie of the year, or should have been. He hasnt been PERFECT in the draft... and there are a handful of GMs who may have done better jobs.. but all in all I think he has done well.

It is his FA moves which have hurt. Bradford, Greenwood, Buchanan, Riley, Wade.. and the loss of players like Foley, Posey, Sharper, and Glenn.... Casserly's performance in FA has been dreadful and I think we really need to do something about that.

so.. no i have no real issue with Casserly as our GM. I dont like him very much.. but I can live with his choices..so long as we have someone closely monitoring and approving his FA moves.

Grid
01-12-2006, 11:49 PM
Is it safe to say that you want bush an we cannot change your mind?????

No.

Bush or Trade down. It IS safe to say that you cannot convince me that Young would be a good move for the Texans.

tulexan
01-12-2006, 11:49 PM

Yeah a former NFL coach who was fired because he was a terrible coach.

Errant Hothy
01-12-2006, 11:51 PM

Boy, you might want to think about what you say in the furure. Callin' me an Aggie when you have no idea where I went to school might get you called a few things yourself.

The fact that you just pissed me off royally should indicate how that I atleast didn't go join that cult in College Station.

But on the other hand, can you look at the world, or even a football player, and objectivly evaluate him as a pro pospect without your burnt orange colored glasses?

Grid
01-12-2006, 11:52 PM
Cult? do they not teach sociology where you went to college? :).. we are a sub-culture :)..not a cult hehe.

Errant Hothy
01-12-2006, 11:54 PM
Cult? do they not teach sociology where you went to college? :).. we are a sub-culture :)..not a cult hehe.

Nope sorry, sociology ain't taught up on the Caprock. Sorry, it's just a little to much of a leftist ideal for us good ol Tech boys.:)

Big B Texan Fan
01-12-2006, 11:54 PM
A former NFL coach whosucked at New England, a coach who has out coacehd by Mack Brown (who unitll this year had serious questions about his ability to wina big game). Oh and wasn't he sidelined for a guy who was tearing up the vaunted UT D?

Yeah, I thought he was. You can't knock Bush for Carroll's moronic actions at the end of the Rose Bowl. Was is Bush's fault that Pete called a timeout before UT went for 2?

Any NFL coach to lead their team to a SB does not suck.

I ain't worried about the vaunted UT D. Other than the fact that they held 'em down when it counted and contained the all mighty, forever running and no stopping Bush.

I ain't knockin' Bush for Carrolls' moronic actions,
I'm knocking Bush for Bushs' moronic actons!!!

tulexan
01-12-2006, 11:57 PM
Any NFL coach to lead their team to a SB does not suck.

Pete Carroll didn't lead any team to the Super Bowl

Wordem
01-12-2006, 11:57 PM
Boy, you might want to think about what you say in the furure.

What are you gonna do, Old Army? Pull out your e-sword? e-punch me?

Lighten up, Francis. You're on a message board on the interweb. Take a bong hit and chill.

Errant Hothy
01-12-2006, 11:58 PM

I ain't knockin' Bush for Carrolls' moronic actions,

I'm knocking Bush for Bushs' moronic actons!!!

For some reason I can't get these two statements to agree with each other in my mind. Can you explain, please?

Becasue as one of those of not blessed enough to have attend UVY, they seem to contradict each other.

Mr. White
01-12-2006, 11:58 PM
Boy, you might want to think about what you say in the furure. Callin' me an Aggie when you have no idea where I went to school might get you called a few things yourself.

The fact that you just pissed me off royally should indicate how that I atleast didn't go join that cult in College Station.

But on the other hand, can you look at the world, or even a football player, and objectivly evaluate him as a pro pospect without your burnt orange colored glasses?

Sooner? Just kidding....Nothing against the Ags (I always thought the world of Bucky Richardson,) but you probably wouldn't be the first guy to get pissed about being called that.

Big B Texan Fan
01-12-2006, 11:59 PM
Pete Carroll didn't lead any team to the Super Bowl
My bad that was when Parcells' was there.

Big B Texan Fan
01-13-2006, 12:06 AM
For some reason I can't get these two statements to agree with each other in my mind. Can you explain, please?

Becasue as one of those of not blessed enough to have attend UVY, they seem to contradict each other.

Do you need me to type slower for you to comprehend.
Of course Bush wil not sideline himself, but his actions got him sidelined and his coach was not afraid to pull the trigger on it just because he is supposed to be the next coming of Gayle Sayers.

I have not attended the UVY either, It is mho that we need Young, not bush.

You're gonna replace a proven productive player.
Why not replace the unproven unproductive player.

tulexan
01-13-2006, 12:07 AM
My bad that was when Parcells' was there.

Yeah Parcells went to the Super Bowl in 1996

Carroll took over in 1997 and each year his record got worse and worse.

1997: 10-6
1998: 9-7
1999: 8-8

He was fired after the 1999 season. Bellicheck took over Carroll's team in 2000 and went 5-11, and then after that won 3 Super Bowls over the next 4 years.

Coaching makes a big difference.

Fiddy
01-13-2006, 12:10 AM
He was fired after the 1999 season. Bellicheck took over Carroll's team in 2000 and went 5-11, and then after that won 3 Super Bowls over the next 4 years.

Coaching makes a big difference. And QB makes a difference, too, because Belichick benched the golden boy QB Bledose and went with Brady to jumpstart his 3 Super Bowls...

Big B Texan Fan
01-13-2006, 12:12 AM
Oh Crap, it's been more than 2 minutes and still no response from HOTH-BOY.
You must be typing up a long one with all kind of stats and ****.

OK, I'll check back in a couple of minutes

Grid
01-13-2006, 12:12 AM
And Lienart is compared to Brady. Maybe we need to be argueing Lienart vs Bush :)

texplayer2
01-13-2006, 12:13 AM
Yeah Parcells went to the Super Bowl in 1996

Carroll took over in 1997 and each year his record got worse and worse.

1997: 10-6
1998: 9-7
1999: 8-8

Coaching makes a big difference.

Carroll is better with the Defensive calls, I think they were finally missing Norm Chow in that game. Those younger assistants will learn. And will get another shot at the big game in the future.

Errant Hothy
01-13-2006, 12:13 AM
Of course Bush wil not sideline himself, but his actions got him sidelined and his coach was not afraid to pull the trigger on it just because he is supposed to be the next coming of Gayle Sayers.

What actions? the 26 yrd TD run wher he made eveybody on the UT D looked like they stuck to the ground?

But I'm willing to bet you mean the "pitch", Am I right?

If I am, it porves more of Carroll's ineptitudes then Reggie's lack of ability, IMO. Was the pitch boneheaded? Hell yes it was. Was it as boneheaded as VY's pitch? Hell yes. NO player, no matter who good he is should every pitch the ball in either of those situations, both Bush and Yound f'ed up on those plays.

If Carroll was half the coach Sailsbury steak made him out to be, Reggie would have been lined up in the back filed then put in motion on that play, more then likely as nothing more then a decoy. But it would have improve the chances of White, who gashed UT all night, to pick up the yard and a half.

Errant Hothy
01-13-2006, 12:14 AM
Oh Crap, it's been more than 2 minutes and still no response from HOTH-BOY.
You must be typing up a long one with all kind of stats and ****.

OK, I'll check back in a couple of minutes

Thank you, dude.

Best laugh I've had in several days.

Hookem Horns
01-13-2006, 12:15 AM

Carr has been here 4 years and is underdeveloped. What does jackCass have to say about that?

Errant Hothy
01-13-2006, 12:16 AM
Carr has been here 4 years and is underdeveloped. What does jackCass have to say about that?

He hired a crappy *** coaching staff?idonno:

Big B Texan Fan
01-13-2006, 12:18 AM
What actions? the 26 yrd TD run wher he made eveybody on the UT D looked like they stuck to the ground?

But I'm willing to bet you mean the "pitch", Am I right?

If I am, it porves more of Carroll's ineptitudes then Reggie's lack of ability, IMO. Was the pitch boneheaded? Hell yes it was. Was it as boneheaded as VY's pitch? Hell yes. NO player, no matter who good he is should every pitch the ball in either of those situations, both Bush and Yound f'ed up on those plays.

If Carroll was half the coach Sailsbury steak made him out to be, Reggie would have been lined up in the back filed then put in motion on that play, more then likely as nothing more then a decoy. But it would have improve the chances of White, who gashed UT all night, to pick up the yard and a half.

I wasn't talking about the pitch.......ok I'm lying, yeah I was.

And I like your thinking, Let's draft Bush to be a DECOY.

edo783
01-13-2006, 12:20 AM
It's pretty interesting that on the day Bush declares and CC indicates he is likely the pick and the media indicates it, that all the VY faithfull get all histerical and just repeating stuff like it is some sort of Zen mantra or something. Think their worried their guy isn't going to be picked? Kind of like...if I klick my heels I'll be back in Kansas or maybe if I repeat it often enough it will come true. Let me try that:

The winning lotto numbers are 5-7-9-23-46-19

Mmmm, nope that didn't work.

Big B Texan Fan
01-13-2006, 12:22 AM
He hired a crappy *** coaching staff?idonno:
He drafted 75% crappy talent on the 1st day
This includes Carr

Errant Hothy
01-13-2006, 12:23 AM
Bush is more then a DECOY and you know it.

But as a creative call, maybe the call a good HC makes you use a little misdirection to catch the D napping or spying or focusing one the played who is not only threat to get the 1st down but threat take it to the house, and you run White the other direction, or sneak Lineart, or maybe do a little play action of White and hit Bush in teh flat and watch him easily get the 1st down.

Once again, putting Carroll's bad calls on Bush's shoulders isn't fair to Reggie nor is it something that an NFL talent evalulator is going to do.

texplayer2
01-13-2006, 12:24 AM

I have not attended the UVY either, It is mho that we need Young, not bush.

You're gonna replace a proven productive player.
Why not replace the unproven unproductive player.

DD CAN STILL BE ON THE FIELD WHEN BUSH IS, ALONG WITH CARR. If you take Young you will only have DD. 3 good players vs. 2 good players:hmmm: or maybe if you are only a UT guy it looks like this 3 good players vs. 1 good player and 1 Never before seen phenom that will rule the field with his presence alone.:rolleyes:

Hookem Horns
01-13-2006, 12:26 AM
hook em:

talk to me about your avatar.

is that good 'old Texas fun, or are you serious about it?

are you giving up on us drafting VY, or trying to make a political statement?

just curious.

man, you make more avatars than anybody I know...

Of course it is good 'ole Texas fan. If these boards weren't fun I wouldn't spend ungodly hours entertaining myself on them and running one myself.

No, I haven't given up on VY. I honestly think he is the best thing for this club, if I didn't I wouldn't want him here. Yes, I am being too hard on Carr and if he stays I hope he miraculously turns into a great QB in this 5th season here. However, someone better implant the desire in him to WIN not just "play well".

Yes, I love to play with Photoshop and create silly avatars. It's part of the fun.

Big B Texan Fan
01-13-2006, 12:30 AM
putting Carroll's bad calls on Bush's shoulders isn't fair to Reggie nor is it something that an NFL talent evalulator is going to do.
You're right about that. The scouts will sniff out the deficiancies of both of those guys. IMO Young has more to offer than our current QB. and is gonna be a great QB.
We'll be calling Vick and McNabb a poor mans VY when it's all said and done.
We'll be calling Bush a poor mans Warrick Dunn

HJam72
01-13-2006, 12:34 AM
I thought Carr was our decoy. idonno:

Errant Hothy
01-13-2006, 12:36 AM
You're right about that. The scouts will sniff out the deficiancies of both of those guys. IMO Young has more to offer than our current QB. and is gonna be a great QB.
We'll be calling Vick and McNabb a poor mans VY when it's all said and done.

Were going to have to agree to disagree, casue I have no idea how VY will turn out in the pros.

Mr. White
01-13-2006, 12:40 AM
You said a mouthful there, brutha. The overall 1st pick debate doesn't really seem to be going anywhere. A great argument can be made for/against any of our options. I've still got a preference, but this thing really is a wash.

Texans86
01-13-2006, 01:09 AM

I'm sorry. That was one of the funniest things I have read on this board. Wow. That's it. Just...wow.

:tv:

AustinJB
01-13-2006, 01:33 AM
I doubt the Texans would win 8 games if VY were to start every game next year (BTW he should be brought on and probably see PT by mid-season). But I can say w/ confidence that they would win more than 2 games. Obviously, a season that is defined as "win more than 2 games" isn't a successful one. My point is, I have to believe that VY wouldn't have taken a lot of the stupid sacks that Carr did. Which in turn would lead to more wins. I do think VY has that kind of influence upon a team. Would he have problems adjusting to the NFL? Of course, all rookie QBs do.

Also, I'm not concerned at all (as some referred to above) about VY's numbers that he puts up at the combine. I have every confidence that whatever he decides to participate in, he will blow people away. We just have to wait until Feb. 2nd. What I am concerned about is VY putting up great times, etc. and the Texans having tunnel-vision for Bush and passing over him.

LBC_Justin
01-13-2006, 02:24 AM
I doubt the Texans would win 8 games if VY were to start every game next year (BTW he should be brought on and probably see PT by mid-season). But I can say w/ confidence that they would win more than 2 games. Obviously, a season that is defined as "win more than 2 games" isn't a successful one. My point is, I have to believe that VY wouldn't have taken a lot of the stupid sacks that Carr did. Which in turn would lead to more wins. I do think VY has that kind of influence upon a team. Would he have problems adjusting to the NFL? Of course, all rookie QBs do.

Also, I'm not concerned at all (as some referred to above) about VY's numbers that he puts up at the combine. I have every confidence that whatever he decides to participate in, he will blow people away. We just have to wait until Feb. 2nd. What I am concerned about is VY putting up great times, etc. and the Texans having tunnel-vision for Bush and passing over him.
The most Vince Young does at the combine is get weighed and measured. He might do some interviews with some of the teams. He will not run. He probably won't lift. He may not even touch a football while he is there, that is if he even goes. Texas is probably going to have their own pro day. He is going stand on that Rose Bowl performance as his final body of work to be judged. Anything he does at the combine will probably hurt his stock.

If he participates at the combine I would be SHOCKED.

If you heard the speach given by Casserly at last years Combine, you know he can't stand when players refuse to fully participate in the combine.

His numbers won't be that impressive. Because he is more shifty than fast. A lot of the things that are going to make him a top 5 pick are the things you can't measure. I wouldn't mind him on the Texans but if you step back and look at our team, he probably isn't the best pick, and in my mind probably isn't worth the #1 pick. If we could get him at #3 or #4 he might be worth it.

Hook'em Horns!!!

texan279
01-13-2006, 02:35 AM
The most Vince Young does at the combine is get weighed and measured. He might do some interviews with some of the teams. He will not run. He probably won't lift. He may not even touch a football while he is there, that is if he even goes. Texas is probably going to have their own pro day. He is going stand on that Rose Bowl performance as his final body of work to be judged. Anything he does at the combine will probably hurt his stock.

If you heard the speach given by Casserly at last years Combine, you know he can't stand when players refuse to fully participate in the combine.

His numbers won't be that impressive. Because he is more shifty than fast. A lot of the things that are going to make him a top 5 pick are the things you can't measure. I wouldn't mind him on the Texans but if you step back and look at our team, he probably isn't the best pick, and in my mind probably isn't worth the #1 pick. If we could get him at #3 or #4 he might be worth it.

Hook'em Horns!!!

When Young was on 610 the other morning, I think he said he would not participate at the combine.

LBC_Justin
01-13-2006, 02:46 AM
When Young was on 610 the other morning, I think he said he would not participate at the combine.LOL see...I know what I am talking about. :)

HJam72
01-13-2006, 03:30 AM
The most Vince Young does at the combine is get weighed and measured. He might do some interviews with some of the teams. He will not run. He probably won't lift.

Then he will blow people away at being weighed and measured. :yahoo:

Or, most likely (as has been said), he will blow people away at not being there. :yahoo:

Grid
01-13-2006, 05:31 AM
No one can get weighed and measured like Vince Young.. thats if the officials can even catch him to weigh and measure him.

And if he ISNT at the combine.. i dunno about yall.. but I will never support the Combine again. Any place that doesnt have Vince Young in it, isnt trying hard enough.

aj.
01-13-2006, 06:01 AM
Vince said he doesn't plan to run the 40, maybe the shuttle or cone. He really doesn't need to run because he has little left to prove in that area. He said that he is going there to interview with as many NFL people as he can so everyone can get to know him better from a personal, off-the-field standpoint.

BattleRedTexan
01-13-2006, 07:52 AM
The statement about Vince Young being "underdeveloped" wasn't the worst part...

Casserly does not like UT players. He believes that UT players in general are "underdeveloped."

I guess the National Championship was won by a bunch of "underdeveloped" players.

I'm not a big UT fan, but from rumors I have heard, Casserly is not a fan of UT players.

Although I am not really a UT fan, I still think the Texans should draft Vince Young.

Casserly is going to single handedly ruin the Texans. Once again, why they didn't fire him is beyond me...

chuckm
01-13-2006, 08:01 AM

Casserly does not like UT players. He believes that UT players in general are "underdeveloped."

Please post a link to this ....

HoustonFrog
01-13-2006, 08:07 AM

Did anyone tell Charlie that he is underdeveloped as a GM and talent evaluator. I am a Bush draft supporter but why is this guy so dumb as to keep saying these things. Soemone needs to sit him in timeout until the draft is over. Is the man really this dumb?

OzzO
01-13-2006, 08:17 AM
....But along the way toward bringing one hometown boy home, Texans leadership used the interviewing process to help make a more important, even tougher call regarding the great Vince Young or Reggie Bush debate.

With seven top NFL minds at their disposal during the interviews, McNair and his top advisers decided to use the coaches as a panel of experts, so to speak, on top of their scouting and personnel staff.

And the survey says ...
They asked each candidate to evaluate David Carr. And McNair and Co. wanted details. Critique Carr's performance. What kind of leadership do you think Carr displayed? What would you do different? Rank Carr among all NFL quarterbacks. Can you win with him?

All seven candidates voiced the same opinion. Carr is not the problem.

The Texans then asked each candidate about Bush and pressed Fresno State's Pat Hill, a former NFL personnel man whose team played USC this season, meaning he had watched about 10 games' worth of tape on Bush.

Again, it was unanimous. All seven told the Texans: Draft Bush.....

...He will hear the calls for the hometown hero and understand them. He will be sympathetic to them, and part of McNair will want to act on the sentimental lure of Young. But in the end McNair will listen to the reason and logic of NFL experts, including Kubiak, and make Bush the face of his franchise....

That's why as soon as the Broncos' season is over, when McNair stands in front of reporters to announce Kubiak as the next coach, he also should announce that he and the front office have decided on Bush as the No. 1 pick.

End the debate. Why let the point-counterpoint go on for another three months, when McNair knows what his club should do with the No. 1 pick?

Seven head coaching candidates, the Texans' personnel staff, consultant Dan Reeves and various other owners and general managers with whom McNair has talked say Carr is playoff-caliber and Bush is the right pick....
...McNair has made billions from making well-researched decisions and never making the same mistake twice. He has told Kubiak that hiring top-level assistants will not be a problem. If it takes a $1 million a year contract to lure a defensive coordinator who will implement a 4-3 defense and bring an edge to the defensive side of the ball, so be it. If Kubiak wants a quarterbacks coach to also work with Carr — which he does — fine.

Kubiak will serve as offensive coordinator and will call the plays, but if he wants the best offensive line coach available? Go get him, Kubiak has been told.

McNair will equip the new coach with every resource available toward winning and winning soon. As tempting as it might be, why, then, should he make Kubiak wait on Young to develop? Kubiak would rather win now than later.

Every piece of advice McNair has received from NFL people, including his new coach, has been the same: Stick with Carr and take Bush.

J-Lo chronic 1/13/05 (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/lopez/3584478.html) So, maybe Casserly didn't say anything about "not liking" and J-Lo's opinion is just that.... but there you go.

Edit - oops, sorry Marcus, saw you posted this as well (http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=17302)

chuckm
01-13-2006, 08:22 AM
BattleRedTexan I have a question .... I've read a few of your posts today and here's a sample ....

I guess the National Championship was won by a bunch of "underdeveloped" players.

I'm not a big UT fan, but from rumors I have heard, Casserly is not a fan of UT players.

Although I am not really a UT fan, I still think the Texans should draft Vince Young.

You're in the draft Young camp .... fair enough .....

a while back you posted this ....

We need to draft Reggie Bush and KEEP HIM!

Anyone saying that we should trade the #1 pick, or draft Reggie and then trade him is an !d!0t

I would rather draft Reggie and trade Dominic Davis (although I would prefer to have Reggie and DD).

I think everyone would agree that if you have a chance to draft a special/rare player like Reggie Bush then you DO IT! Reggie Bush will end up being the premier running back in the NFL. If we don't draft him we will be kicking ourselves for a very long time.

To make a comparison to basketball... passing on Reggie Bush would be like passing on a Michael Jordan caliber player.

Reggie Bush is a DIFFERENCE MAKER!

Until recently, I had been fairly certain that the Texans will make the right decison and draft Reggie Bush.

But lately, a lot of my co-workers have been saying: "The Texans will screw it up just like the Oilers used to." Basically, A LOT of the guys that I work with think the Texans will end up drafting someone else or trading the #1 pick.

If the Texans do not draft Reggie Bush, it will be the worst decision they have ever made. The fans have tolerated this horrible season, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel because we know that we can get Reggie Bush now. The Texans can salvage this season, and make the fans happy by drafting Reggie Bush. If they "screw it up," they will make a lot of people angry and they will be making the "same old mistakes" that past Houston ProFootball teams have made.

Reggie Bush is one of those special kinds of players that only come around every once in a while. He is truely a FRANCHISE player. Players like Reggie Bush are true "difference makers" and they are very rare. I just hope that the Texans draft Reggie Bush, then they can use the other picks to fill other necessary positions.

ok so has your opinion of Bush changed? You speak (or spoke shall I say) of him in glowing terms .... yet now you seem to be advocating passing on "a FRANCHISE player", "a true difference maker" and having the Texans management "screw it up" in favor of Vince Young .... do you forsee the Rose Bowl hysteria wearing off anytime soon? is this your final answer?

Hervoyel
01-13-2006, 08:24 AM
He's not as developed as Philip Buchanan, Jason Babin, and Dave Ragone huh?

Any of those guys get selected with the first overall pick of their draft?

thunderkyss
01-13-2006, 08:26 AM
A former NFL coach who sucked at New England, a coach who has out coached by Mack Brown (who unitll this year had serious questions about his ability to win a big game). Oh and wasn't he sidelined for a guy who was tearing up the vaunted UT D?

You know that's about the biggest crock... and I'm getting tired of it.

The last 4 years, there is only one team to beat UT, and just about every player on those teams are starting in the NFL today.

thunderkyss
01-13-2006, 08:28 AM

Hook'em Horns!!!

Nice post, except I don't think he'll be there at #3 or 4, someone else will get him. There's better chance of getting Reggie at #3 or 4, than Vince.

Hervoyel
01-13-2006, 08:29 AM
Did anyone tell Charlie that he is underdeveloped as a GM and talent evaluator. I am a Bush draft supporter but why is this guy so dumb as to keep saying these things. Soemone needs to sit him in timeout until the draft is over. Is the man really this dumb?

I don't know why he keeps saying these things. It could be that people keep asking him the same questions and this is, in his opinion "the truth". I think this is his honest assessment of Vince Young. Casserly is not the only person who I've seen say that Vince should have played the college game one more year.

thunderkyss
01-13-2006, 08:38 AM
ok so has your opinion of Bush changed? You speak (or spoke shall I say) of him in glowing terms .... yet now you seem to be advocating passing on "a FRANCHISE player", "a true difference maker" and having the Texans management "screw it up" in favor of Vince Young .... do you forsee the Rose Bowl hysteria wearing off anytime soon? is this your final answer?

Before the Rose Bowl, My honest best opinion was to trade down, and get some defensive Havoc makers in the early rounds. Since then my opinion has changed, get one Dynamic Quarterback who I thought would not be in the draft this year, but has made it known, that I was wrong and he will be in the Draft, and use the remaining picks on Defense.

The only thing the Rose Bowl changed, was the fact that Vince will be in the Draft.

HoustonFrog
01-13-2006, 08:40 AM
I don't know why he keeps saying these things. It could be that people keep asking him the same questions and this is, in his opinion "the truth". I think this is his honest assessment of Vince Young. Casserly is not the only person who I've seen say that Vince should have played the college game one more year.

It is great if he has an "opinion" on Bush. It is great that he has an "opinion" on VY..or anyone else for that matter. I just wish he would stop doing the interview circuit and talk about guys evaluating Bush tape and how VY is underdeveloped and how Bush would be a great fit, etc. He just isn't a poker player. Even if people don't think VY is the right choice, a team can take advantage of the hype. He seems to miss this concept. And in a separate opinion, it would have been ludicrous for VY to stay anothe year after the Rose Bowl. It was a no-brainer for the way he plays football.

Capster67
01-13-2006, 09:47 AM
Drafting VY would put the franchise back a decade. Some people just don't seem to get that a scrambling quarterback (aka Randall Cunningham & Michael Vick) does not equal Super Bowl titles. It disrupts the offense and the defensive speed in the NFL is much quicker than in college and isn't suited to that approach. Getting someone like Bush who has multiple skills (rushing, receiving, returning) is such a better decision. The debate over Bush vs Young should not deteriorate into a UT versus AM thing. Many, many, many of the Texan fans live out of state and couldn't care less about the debate. We simply want a winning (and multidimensional) team on the field.

Wordem
01-13-2006, 09:50 AM
Drafting VY would put the franchise back a decade.

Aggy is so funny.

Texans Honk
01-13-2006, 09:51 AM
Being it is Casserly's last year, I think McNair will have the final say in this pick and McNair DOES love Vince Young. Casserly doesn't like Young because Vince is making Casserly's pick, which was David Carr, look like a bust. Pride is a dangerous thing...

BigBull17
01-13-2006, 09:53 AM
And QB makes a difference, too, because Belichick benched the golden boy QB Bledose and went with Brady to jumpstart his 3 Super Bowls...

No the Jets benched the golden boy with a hit that made my teeth rattle. Belichick got lucky but its better to be lucky than good.

And whats wrong with Warrick Dunn. Hell of a back.

Dennis007
01-13-2006, 09:53 AM
Being it is Casserly's last year, I think McNair will have the final say in this pick and McNair DOES love Vince Young. Casserly doesn't like Young because Vince is making Casserly's pick, which was David Carr, look like a bust. Pride is a dangerous thing...

Ditto.
Casserly is a sitting duck, he has no power. He's just a decoy for the media since he has no facial expressions. LOL:yahoo:

Errant Hothy
01-13-2006, 09:54 AM
You know that's about the biggest crock... and I'm getting tired of it.

The last 4 years, there is only one team to beat UT, and just about every player on those teams are starting in the NFL today.

So I quessed I dreamed Colorado beating UT in Dallas for the Big XII championship, becasue I could have sworn I was at the game and that UT lost.

Oh and you might want to do some research on whos playing currently in the NFL, cause thera aren't THAT many Sooners in the NFL. The actually around 26 to 28 (I looked it up a while back, surprisingly A&M has more active pros then both UT and OU), with some coming from before the Stoops era at Zero U.

And it's not a crock, becasue sadly it was true. Till the Rose Bowl last year Brown was 0 for agaisnt top 10 teams, and untill this year he had never won a league championship much less a National title.

dirty steve
01-13-2006, 09:58 AM
And QB makes a difference, too, because Belichick benched the golden boy QB Bledose and went with Brady to jumpstart his 3 Super Bowls...

ah no...bledsoe was injured when he ran out of bounds and brady stepped in.

Wordem
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
And it's not a crock, becasue sadly it was true. Till the Rose Bowl last year Brown was 0 for agaisnt top 10 teams, and untill this year he had never won a league championship much less a National title.

Farmers fight! Moral victories for everyone.

Errant Hothy
01-13-2006, 10:04 AM
Farmers fight! Moral victories for everyone.

And untill just recently, moral victories for UT too!!!!:ok:

Just trying to bring some facts into a debate that has clearly moved past the point were logical would matter.

bigTEXan8
01-13-2006, 10:12 AM
I still think that the order is going to be R. Bush, NO trades to Oakland for Leinart, VY to Tenn. We have a QB capable of good things, provided the right system is installed, better o-line play, and a D that doesn't quit till the game is over. I fully believe that this team has the capability of being a playoff contender, it just needs the right coach, right system. I may be stretching the NO to Oakland trade, but I could totally see Leinart going to Oakland.

Jack Bauer
01-13-2006, 10:17 AM
For all of you saying Vince would not participate at the combine, he said the ONLY thing he would NOT do is run for time. Now, since he has a propensity to change his mind, I guess we will have to wait and see.

Wordem: " " That is the response I have for you! :ok:

HJam72
01-13-2006, 01:34 PM
Drafting VY would put the franchise back a decade. Some people just don't seem to get that a scrambling quarterback (aka Randall Cunningham & Michael Vick) does not equal Super Bowl titles. It disrupts the offense and the defensive speed in the NFL is much quicker than in college and isn't suited to that approach. Getting someone like Bush who has multiple skills (rushing, receiving, returning) is such a better decision. The debate over Bush vs Young should not deteriorate into a UT versus AM thing. Many, many, many of the Texan fans live out of state and couldn't care less about the debate. We simply want a winning (and multidimensional) team on the field.

That seems strange too me, considering the name of th team, unless they're Californian fans of Carr or maybe Louisianna fans of DD.

LCOOL
01-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Who cares what Uncle Charlie has to say, remember this is the same clown that got fired from the redskins, let Uncle Charlie draft who he wants, as long as this ***** is the GM dont expect the Texans to have much success. VY is a great player and he will excel in the NFL were ever he goes, Uncle Charlie doesn't want to draft Vinny, beacuse he know he made a mistake with Carr along with these no name drafts!

Meloy
01-13-2006, 01:56 PM
This has got to be the funniest thread, I've ever read. Yes he is and no he ain't. My Vince can beat up your (fill in the blank). My mind is made up don't confuse me with any facts. If my opinion ain't yours, then what you been smoking. Hilarious!!

DRAMA
01-13-2006, 02:11 PM

Yeah, Warrick Dunn, Westbrook, Metcalf - suuuurrrrrrre thing. At least, let Vince take one snap from under center, not shotgun, before he's an All-Pro.

wow...the old Warrick Dunn-Metcalf comparisons still amaze me. I know - I know...I haven't watched enough UT football and Doug Williams won a Superbowl!!

JDizzle
01-13-2006, 02:13 PM
And Lienart is compared to Brady. Maybe we need to be argueing Lienart vs Bush :)

God forbid someone start up that debate. People who bash Leinart nitpick at small things in his game, yet refuse to acknowledge Young Almighty isn't a perfect QB. Before the Rose Bowl I thought it was a toss-up, but after that game I'd take my chances with Leinart if we went QB with our #1 pick.

Fiddy
01-13-2006, 02:13 PM
ah no...bledsoe was injured when he ran out of bounds and brady stepped in. And he kept Brady in instead of taking him out when Bledsoe got healthy...cause if I remember correctly, Bledsoe could have played in the playoffs...

TheOgre
01-13-2006, 02:22 PM

Shuler was actually someone that Norv Turner wanted. My gripe with CC is that he doesn't make decisions for himself, he listens to everyone else he works with.

TheOgre
01-13-2006, 02:25 PM

I cannot think of really anyone whose game has significantly developed as a result of our coaching staff. It seems like whatever skills and knowledge a player started with is all they would have with the Texans. I cannot believe I didn't realize that earlier.

El Tejano
01-13-2006, 02:44 PM
All I know is they better not have that draft day party if they are not drafting Young or the fans are going to tear down the whole building.

HJam72
01-13-2006, 05:40 PM
I cannot think of really anyone whose game has significantly developed as a result of our coaching staff. It seems like whatever skills and knowledge a player started with is all they would have with the Texans. I cannot believe I didn't realize that earlier.

Actually, it seems to me that Pitts' game has increased rather significantly and I think Wells gas gotten somewhat better also, but those could be just because of game experience.

Big B Texan Fan
01-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Who cares what Uncle Charlie has to say, remember this is the same clown that got fired from the redskins, let Uncle Charlie draft who he wants, as long as this ***** is the GM dont expect the Texans to have much success. VY is a great player and he will excel in the NFL were ever he goes, Uncle Charlie doesn't want to draft Vinny, beacuse he know he made a mistake with Carr along with these no name drafts!
C(jack)asserly is probably gonna have as much say in the draft as :homer:

When and if we choose Young, there will be an interview about an hour or 2 later. If it's Casserly being interviewed then we know he was a part of the pick, if it's someone else then.........well you know.

I hope he gets pulled over on the way to work that day and the cop pulls up a warrant for no insurance and no inspection from back in his HS days and spends the day in county. Then maybe correct decisions will get made.

Remember, he has had a total of 15 2nd and 3rd rd pix at his disposal and whether he used them on players or for trades he has only hit on 1.5 of them. Pitts and Peek. And Peek is probably getting his walking papers this off season. The jury is still out on Morency but I'm sure he'll be OK to good when it's all said and done.

Bobo
01-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Ditto.
Casserly is a sitting duck, he has no power. He's just a decoy for the media since he has no facial expressions. LOL:yahoo:

Not so according to McNair. Next ...

Bobo
01-13-2006, 06:02 PM
Being it is Casserly's last year...

Source?

bdiddy
01-13-2006, 08:45 PM

I agree with this. I have heard the same from a source close to the team. However, the team (or at least my source) will not give any indication which way they are leaning. Honestly, I do not think they have made up their mind yet. I do know that, as was reporter in today's Chronicle by Lopez, a majority of the coaches interviewed would chose Bush because Carr is not the problem and will be a successful QB.

AustinJB
01-16-2006, 06:16 PM
The most Vince Young does at the combine is get weighed and measured. He might do some interviews with some of the teams. He will not run. He probably won't lift. He may not even touch a football while he is there, that is if he even goes.

Hook'em Horns!!!

Actually, when he was on 610, he said that he would be there to participate in interviews and THROW the football. Unless I'm missing something, his passing seems to be the main questions against him. He said that he will throw to answer some of those questions.
:ok:

Big B Texan Fan
01-16-2006, 06:25 PM
Actually, when he was on 610, he said that he would be there to participate in interviews and THROW the football. Unless I'm missing something, his passing seems to be the main questions against him. He said that he will throw to answer some of those questions.
:ok:
I heard the same. He also said he may do the shuttle but that he will not run the 40. We'll see that at the UT proday.

Erratic Assassin
01-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Norv Turner was the coach of the Redskins when Shuler was drafted. I'm sure he had input on the draft selection, too. Maybe there's a reason he's been fired from the head coaching jobs he's had... just a thought.

Charlie Casserly blames the Heath Shuler pick on Norv Turner the same way he blames Capers for the Bennie Joppru pick.

It's Charlie Casserly's job to pick the players, not the coach. That is how Charlie gets to keep his job. He doesn't take responsibility for his actions.

Casserly is absolutely worthless as a GM because he passes the buck.

HOOK'EM
01-16-2006, 10:01 PM
Just get BUSH!:redtowel:

yaboycm
01-16-2006, 11:18 PM

Amen brother. Might just have to say screw the Texans and become a Vince Young fan no matter where he lands. Hopefully there are others of this mentality. They will be the ones chearing the next decade when the Titans come to town every year and whoop up on the Texans.

Big B Texan Fan
01-16-2006, 11:23 PM
Amen brother. Might just have to say screw the Texans and become a Vince Young fan no matter where he lands. Hopefully there are others of this mentality. They will be the ones chearing the next decade when the Titans come to town every year and whoop up on the Texans.

I still have Titans gear around somewhere if needed.
Something told me not to throw it away.

Grid
01-16-2006, 11:27 PM
see... thats what im saying... lets draft Bush and we can trim some of the fat off of this fanbase.

Hookem Horns
01-17-2006, 12:04 AM
I still have Titans gear around somewhere if needed.
Something told me not to throw it away.

Now there are going to be Titans fans everywhere. That's all us x-Oiler fans need. If this team let's VY go to Bud I will never forgive them. BTW, screw the Titans, I don't care if I have a son and he grows up to play for the Titans, I will still root against them.

Big B Texan Fan
01-17-2006, 12:09 AM
see... thats what im saying... lets draft Bush and we can trim some of the fat off of this fanbase.
They'll keep losing and therefore fat-trimming will automatic.

Man what a waste of a #1 pick, a RB who can't get the ball in his hands for the duration of the game. Durability is a ?mark, goalline prowess is a ?mark, running the called play is a ?mark, holding on to the ball is a ?mark, his alleged shoulder injury/surgery is a ?mark, running north to south is a ?mark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grid, I know you are in the trade down camp, and I'm obviously in the VY camp. I'm just jonesin' for some wins, back to back wins for that matter. Playoffs even. I was all fine and dandy as a Titan fan since I was a Oiler fan (born and raised Houstonian) but then we got a team and I tried to juggle 2 teams in my heart but struggled with until the Dallas game (19-10 for you cowboy that may have removed it from your memory banks, uh I mean forgotten) then I dropped them like a hot rock. But this team has bungled, jumbled, and fumbled their 4 seasons away and all I've got is that Dallas win and the Carr leaping over the goaline (without reggie bushs' help) in the Jag game a few seasons back. Carr was a mistake, as well as several other aquisitions and not to mention the unwillingness to bring in better o-line players. I'm sure I'll get asked, Who, who was out there to bring in?. Point is I don't know. I'd love to stay a fan but if they screw this up and take bush and he's a bust or warrick dunn at best and VY goes on to greatness then I'm gonna have a hard time tuning on sundays.

Mr. McNair said when asked about the competition with fandom against the Cowboys he said "I don't need to be America's team, I just wanna be Texas' team". Well with that said, the first times we get our hands on the #1 pick in the draft we take kids from california, forget california. If VY and Bush are gonna be graded that close together then why not take VY, you've got more to gain as well as a proven winner up to this point. Forget immediate impact and improving on last season. If we were to forfeit the draft and only fill holes through FA, we'd still improve on last years record from a pure coaching standpoint alone.

I'm gonna stay a fan for now, even if they stupiditly draft bush, but every time bush makes a mistake, all of us bush haters will be here pointing them out in great detail, as I'm sure the VY haters would do if we were to draft VY.

Grid
01-17-2006, 12:47 AM
great post Big B.. I dont agree with all of it but still a great post.

Im actually in the take Bush or trade down group.. either/or is fine with me. But i hear ya on us being Texas' team, and VY is a Texas product and could draw crowds..at least for a season. But give him 2 seasons on the bench (which is close to what it would take I think) and people are either going to tear their hair out screaming "PLAY YOUNG!!!!".. or they will quit following the Texans anyway.

I just dont think he would make a difference in the long run. He is a running QB.. that is undeniable.. he likes to make plays with his legs.. and running QBs do not get it done in today's NFL. Pocket QBs are what works best, and if we are in the position to go one way or the other, I dont see why someone wouldnt choose to go the pocket QB route. You say he is a proven winner, but so is Matt Lienart.. is the only reason to take Young because he is from Houston? Cause that isnt enough of a reason to spend a #1 pick on him.

Honestly.. do you think Young could be a pocket QB? someone like Big Ben? Or will he always be a running QB? Can he fix his throwing motion? cause that is gonna be a big problem in the pros.

As for being a fan.. every fan has his limits.. for example if the Texans turned into the old Cowboys.. talking smack, doing smack, smacking women.. that would be my limit. But as long as the Texans are making positive decisions to improve the team.. and really trying to win... even if they dont pick the guy I want.. ill never stop supporting them. Even if the guy I want goes to a rival.

jacquescas
01-17-2006, 01:34 AM
if vince young runs under 4.30 draft him, if bush runs under 4.30 draft him, if they both do trade for lendale white.