PDA

View Full Version : Dream Scenario

ATX
01-10-2006, 02:51 PM
We pick Young with the number 1 pick after bluffing about taking Reggie Bush the whole time. So the Saints are forced to think about Bush or Leinart, I say they'd take Leinart. They need a QB bad. Tennessee, who wanted Young all along is now forced to consider Reggie Bush, but I don't see them taking Bush with Travis Henry and Chris Brown already on the team. So they go A.J. Hawke, D'Brick, Williams, etc. Bush now falls to #4, the Jets are on the clock. We trade Carr and next year's #1 for that pick. Jets need a durable QB, Carr fits that. We take Bush at #4. And if for some reason the Titans or Saints take Bush, then we get D'Brick. Could it happen?

HardKnockTexan
01-10-2006, 03:03 PM
I guess it could happen but I dont see the Texans basically trading 2 first round draft picks for Reggie Bush. Even though there's a ton of hype about Bush he hasnt proven a thing in the NFL. We have too many needs and there are too many great players that come out every year. Imagine next season during the draft and the Texans have 0 first round selections... Even with Bush I'm sure we will still be needing to add youth and depth to a team with needs everywhere.

ThaShark316
01-10-2006, 03:18 PM
Tell yall what...everyone post their dream scenario. I think that would be pretty cool.

I'll say we make a deal with the Saints, and they take Carr and other picks for #2.

Joeymousepad
01-10-2006, 03:44 PM
I hope we take Reggie and one of the good LTs has a terrible combine or miraculously falls for some other reason and we get them at 33.

Austin_Texans_Fan
01-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Tell yall what...everyone post their dream scenario. I think that would be pretty cool.

I'll say we make a deal with the Saints, and they take Carr and other picks for #2.

Trade Carr for Ricky Williams and draft pick then draft VY at #1.

GMo
01-10-2006, 03:48 PM
I'm hoping we take Bush or Young and trade them for some great offensive and defensive linemen. And maybe a good tight end.

I'd like to see VY play for the Texans, but I like Carr, too. I can live with VY playing somewhere else, as long as it's not the T1t-uns!

MorKnolle
01-10-2006, 05:05 PM

My moderately realistic, dream scenario (my fantasy dream scenario would involve us getting draft picks and trades that would not happen in a million years, so I'll leave that out of this) would be something like this:

First things first, Houston signs Kubiak as head coach
Houston trades the #1 overall pick to the N.Y. Jets for the #1 (Jets looking for Bush or maybe Leinart/Young), this year's 3rd rounder, next year's 1st rounder and 4th rounder, and John Abraham.
Houston then trades the #4 overall pick to Arizona for the #10 (Arizona looking for Mario Williams or maybe Hawk), next year's 2nd rounder, and Leonard Davis.
Houston sends the 65th, 66th, and 68th picks to Denver and moves back into the first round to #22 (Washington's pick), Shanahan gives Kubiak a couple of his assistants to bring with (he has already said he would) and one of their 1st rounders since they don't seem to like those very much and love those 3rd round picks.

This gives us the following draft picks:
2006: #10, #22, #33, #97, #129, #161, #193, $225
2007: NY Jets' 1st and 4th round picks, Arizona's 2nd round pick

Houston signs LeCharles Bentley in free agency
Houston drafts the following players:
10: Eric Winston OT, Miami
22: Michael Huff, S/CB, Texas
33: Davin Joseph, OG, Oklahoma
97: Best (most athletic) CB/LB/WR available
129, 161, 193, 225: BPA, look for athletic but capable CBs, WRs, LBs, or if there is a steal of a TE available then grab him.

This yields the following lineup for 2006:
QB: David Carr
RB: Domanick Davis (Morency, Wells backups but they actually get some reps so Davis' knees don't go out)
WR: Andre Johnson, Jabar Gaffney, Jerome Mathis, Derick Armstrong, any fast rookies
TE: Marcellus Rivers, Mark Bruener, Bennie Joppru
LT: Chester Pitts (Seth Wand backup)
LG: Davin Joseph/Zach Wiegert (Wiegert stays for 2006 and starts if he beats out Joseph, then he is gone)
C: LeCharles Bentley (Drew Hodgdon backup)
RG: Leonard Davis (Milford Brown/Fred Weary backup)
RT: Eric Winston (Todd Wade backup)

DE: John Abraham, Jason Babin/Antwan Peek rotating
DT: Robaire Smith, Gary Walker/Seth Payne, Travis Johnson
OLB: Shantee Orr, Morlon Greenwood, maybe some of Peek when not at DE, give a rookie some PT too
MLB: Kailee Wong (Polk as backup)
CB: Dunta Robinson, Michael Huff on 2 WR sets, (Buchanon, Faggins and/or rookie come in a CB on passing situations)
S: Glen Earl, C.C. Brown (Huff rotates back to FS on passing situations to ball hawk)

This gives us a much more competent coaching staff that will actually teach our players and help them improve. If fixes up the OL and gives us a lot of young talent there to anchor our offense for the next decade, so we can finally protect Carr and will be able to run (right side of OL will be a monster in the runnnig game). We switch to a 4-3, get a nice pass-rushing DE (Abraham), and bring in Huff from Texas to play CB opposite Robinson on 2-WR sets (Dunta and Huff are both great tacklers and Earl and Brown will both remain in on those downs to greatly improve run support and both Huff and Robinson can cover WRs), but then shift Huff back to FS on 3- or 4-WR sets to ball hawk for us and have Robinson and then a combination of Buchanon, Faggins, and/or any rookies cover the WRs.

TexansCanes
01-10-2006, 05:21 PM
i don't we have to give compensation for Kubiack, or should for that matter. he hasn't proven anything as a head coach in the nfl because he has never been one. at this point i really don't care what we do with the first pick. my dream scenario would be trade down to 4 and get the jets first round pick next year and a third this year.

rd1: mario williams
rd2: max jean-gilles
rd3: ernie sims
rd4: antonio chromartie

if there was a good lineman that falls think about give up the jets picks to get back into the first round. the only problem is i don't think this board can take another year that we trade down.

YoungTexanFan
01-10-2006, 05:22 PM
My moderately realistic, dream scenario (my fantasy dream scenario would involve us getting draft picks and trades that would not happen in a million years, so I'll leave that out of this) would be something like this:

First things first, Houston signs Kubiak as head coach
Houston trades the #1 overall pick to the N.Y. Jets for the #1 (Jets looking for Bush or maybe Leinart/Young), this year's 3rd rounder, next year's 1st rounder and 4th rounder, and John Abraham.
Houston then trades the #4 overall pick to Arizona for the #10 (Arizona looking for Mario Williams or maybe Hawk), next year's 2nd rounder, and Leonard Davis.
Houston sends the 65th, 66th, and 68th picks to Denver and moves back into the first round to #22 (Washington's pick), Shanahan gives us Kubiak and one of their 1st rounders since they don't seem to like those very much and love those 3rd round picks.

This gives us the following draft picks:
2006: #10, #22, #33, #97, #129, #161, #193, $225
2007: NY Jets' 1st and 4th round picks, Arizona's 2nd round pick

129, 161, 193, 225: BPA, look for athletic but capable CBs, WRs, LBs, or if there is a steal of a TE available then grab him.

RB: Domanick Davis (Morency, Wells backups but they actually get some reps so Davis' knees don't go out)
WR: Andre Johnson, Jabar Gaffney, Jerome Mathis, Derick Armstrong, any fast rookies
LG: Davin Joseph/Zach Wiegert (Wiegert stays for 2006 and starts if he beats out Joseph, then he is gone)

OLB: Shantee Orr, Morlon Greenwood, maybe some of Peek when not at DE, give a rookie some PT too
CB: Dunta Robinson, Michael Huff on 2 WR sets, (Buchanon, Faggins and/or rookie come in a CB on passing situations)
S: Glen Earl, C.C. Brown (Huff rotates back to FS on passing situations to ball hawk)

This gives us a much more competent coaching staff that will actually teach our players and help them improve. If fixes up the OL and gives us a lot of young talent there to anchor our offense for the next decade, so we can finally protect Carr and will be able to run (right side of OL will be a monster in the runnnig game). We switch to a 4-3, get a nice pass-rushing DE (Abraham), and bring in Huff from Texas to play CB opposite Robinson on 2-WR sets (Dunta and Huff are both great tacklers and Earl and Brown will both remain in on those downs to greatly improve run support and both Huff and Robinson can cover WRs), but then shift Huff back to FS on 3- or 4-WR sets to ball hawk for us and have Robinson and then a combination of Buchanon, Faggins, and/or any rookies cover the WRs.

not bad looking at all, but huff does not stand out as a ballhawk to me. Ko Simpson or Laron Landry seem to fit that mold better.

tulexan
01-10-2006, 05:22 PM
Chromartie is an interesting pick. I think whoever gets him is going to get a steal.

TexansCanes
01-10-2006, 05:27 PM
not bad looking at all, but huff does not stand out as a ballhawk to me. Ko Simpson or Laron Landry seem to fit that mold better.

i don't know if i would say that laron is more of a ballhawker, actually i think they are the same type of player. despite laron's size i think he is a run stopper (lead lsu in tackles) and drops a lot of picks. hopefully he comes back because i think with another year he will be a lot better, plus we need him for a run at the title.

YoungTexanFan
01-10-2006, 05:29 PM
i don't know if i would say that laron is more of a ballhawker, actually i think they are the same type of player. despite laron's size i think he is a run stopper (lead lsu in tackles) and drops a lot of picks. hopefully he comes back because i think with another year he will be a lot better, plus we need him for a run at the title.

from your name I would have guess Miami, not LSU.

MorKnolle
01-10-2006, 05:30 PM

He's not a prototypical ballhawk, but he's certainly better in coverage than Earl or Brown and can still make hits very well, so I'd bump him back to S in passing situations rather than leaving both Earl and Brown out there, and leave Brown and Earl in for run support on traditional running downs and put Huff at CB since he's supposed to be fast enough to play CB and he can tackle, unlike Buchanon and Faggins.

YoungTexanFan
01-10-2006, 05:30 PM
Chromartie is an interesting pick. I think whoever gets him is going to get a steal.

I concur

I've wanted to say that for a while. :cool:

TexansCanes
01-10-2006, 08:43 PM

yeah, as a kid i was a miami fan, i liked their mascot and then followed them when i really got into watching college football when i got a little older and know i go to lsu. i still follow the canes but my squad is LSU. i would change my username but i brought it over from the old texans board.

Huge
01-10-2006, 08:59 PM
I was baffled by it as well until he explained it to me.

"TexansCanes", going to LSU with an avatar of a couple of chicks from FSU. :D

spence425
01-10-2006, 08:59 PM
hahaha....

a. why would titans pass on bush. henry has been a dissappointment, and brown is injury prone.

b. in case you hadn't noticed, the jets also need a franchise running back.

c. bush has yet to declare

YoungTexanFan
01-10-2006, 09:01 PM
I was baffled by it as well until he explained it to me.

"TexansCanes", going to LSU with an avatar of a couple of chicks from FSU. :D

Yeah, those ladies had my attention for a while too.

Janus3
01-10-2006, 09:06 PM
it could happen but it would be stupid to select young. if they take leinart it'd be better since he's the better qb.

Janus3
01-10-2006, 09:09 PM
anyways, my dream scenario. trade the #1 pick to the jets they take whichever qb they want. texans get say a 2nd or 3rd this year and a first next year. texans draft d'brickshaw and acquire some players from the jets and the texans draft OL help, a TE, and some D.

Bubbajwp
01-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Trade with the Jets. For their first and second round picks this year and next year.

Round 1 pick 4 - Mario Williams
Round 2 pick 1 - Marcus McNeil, Max Jean giles
Round 2 pick 4 - Abdul Hodges
Round 3 pick 1 - Taitusi Lutui
Round 3 pick 2 - Ashton Youboty
Round 4 pick 1 -David Thomas, Greg blue, and dwayne slay would be my favorite but if not them the best TE or S left.

Having the jets first and second round picks next year would put us in great position to get. One of these college superstars
Adrian Peterson
B Quinn
Teddy Ginn Jr
or whatever

Glacier
01-10-2006, 09:22 PM
Kubiak comes to the Texans, Drafts VY #1, trades Carr for #4 pick to the Jets, Texans draft a Hoss OT.

YoungTexanFan
01-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Kubiak comes to the Texans, Drafts VY #1, trades Carr for #4 pick to the Jets, Texans draft a Hoss OT.

maybe not so much...

:tv:

YoungTexanFan
01-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Trade with the Jets. For their first and second round picks this year and next year.

Round 1 pick 4 - Mario Williams
Round 2 pick 1 - Marcus McNeil, Max Jean giles
Round 2 pick 4 - Abdul Hodges
Round 3 pick 1 - Taitusi Lutui
Round 3 pick 2 - Ashton Youboty
Round 3 pick 4 -David Thomas, Greg blue would be my favorite but if not them the best TE or S left.

Having the jets first and second round picks next year would put us in great position to get. One of these college superstars
Adrian Peterson
B Quinn
Teddy Ginn Jr
or whatever

that would be one heck of a draft right there.

Xman
01-10-2006, 09:51 PM
I doubt the Jets give us the #4 pick for Carr - even if we add in a 2nd.
(and I hate to part with that 2nd which will be a TE or OL that is projected top 20 that drops)

We might package Carr and that 2nd to move up - just not to 4. Or maybe for a player.
#33+ Carr for #9 or #10: Detroit or AZ might go for it
Carr for #12: Balt is desperate also
Carr for #16: Or Miami, if noone else bites
Or for a player:
#33 + Carr for Roy Williams (I would love to have him and AJ together)
Carr for Mason or Ray Lewis (if Balt won't give him the contract he wants)

Glacier
01-10-2006, 09:51 PM
maybe not so much...

:tv:

ya well, draft vince with the #1 pick anyway...worst case scenario, Carr has yet another target to miss, throw an interception to while trying to pass to his own receivers or get sacked while trying to throw to his great receivers.....

then, insert VY at QB....Texans collect underpants.

Janus3
01-10-2006, 10:06 PM
that would be one heck of a draft right there.

without question

YoungTexanFan
01-10-2006, 10:12 PM
ya well, draft vince with the #1 pick anyway...worst case scenario, Carr has yet another target to miss, throw an interception to while trying to pass to his own receivers or get sacked while trying to throw to his great receivers.....

then, insert VY at QB....Texans collect underpants.

at least your consistent with your opinion.

YoungTexanFan
01-10-2006, 10:13 PM
without question

i would start breaking things w/out knowing it from pure excitement.

YoungTexanFan
01-10-2006, 10:14 PM
i would start breaking things w/out knowing it from pure excitement.

I seem to "not know my own strength"

I've broken a lot of things, including bones in me and others. I'm not that weak scrawny guy you think of when you hear "kicker". I also play TE and MLB.

Scooter
01-11-2006, 02:58 AM
since we're talking about "dream scenarios", i had a dream last night about the draft (laugh away, i really did). in it we traded down twice and ended up with the 10th pick, but i unfortunately woke up before our first pick. i think trading down is easily the best thing we can do to build a TEAM .. one that doesnt involve a rookie "best player ever!!1!111!" being the only guy on the field.

i think morknolle's draft would be the best possible scenario for this offseason. with those trades (and bentley in FA) we address our biggest hole at interior line, and get a legitimate DE for the 4-3 switch. i'd also give ike taylor a look if the steelers dont resign him, or any RCB's that get away. i wouldnt trade away our 3rd rounders though. if carpenter's projected to fall to the 2nd i'd grab him, and go with winston or d'brick in the first. with the thirds i'd make sure to get a TE (david thomas?) and a DB (i'd like to see dwayne slay in a polamalu type role, but i'm playing favorites since i dont know many db's), along with BPA on defense. those are areas that we can pick up in the 3rd and unless they spend their first three seasons on IR, can hardly do worse than our current players. with 4+ we stock up on defense and along with walk-ons, find another WR.

royce1054
01-11-2006, 08:10 AM

have we signed a 43 coach.... no... i wanna see a 34 d until we sign a 43 coach! Plus you dont have us takin a TE.... the to either come through FA or top 4 rounds.... after 4th round quality goes down.

MorKnolle
01-11-2006, 11:10 AM
have we signed a 43 coach.... no... i wanna see a 34 d until we sign a 43 coach! Plus you dont have us takin a TE.... the to either come through FA or top 4 rounds.... after 4th round quality goes down.

Indeed I don't, I had explained in other threads my reasoning on that and I guess I didn't here. I think Rivers and/or Joppru could become a decent receiving option if they were coached properly and then actually used for that type of role, plus some good free agent TEs could be available (Billy Miller and Teyo Johnson are already available, Randy McMichael and others could be available). I think we have too many problems to fix with our upper picks than to go after a TE with them, and as you said the quality drops off in the 4th round, but if one slips thru to the 4th or lower I have no problems with getting one there. I don't see TE as that big of an issue (many successful offenses have been run without the prominent use of a TE anyways: the Colts now, the Rams back during the Greatest Show on Turf, etc.), and if our new coaches end up not being pleased with our current guys or any free agents, Olsen from Miami will be available next year and after hopefully trading down we'll have at least one extra 1st round pick next year and could look at getting him then. As for the defensive system, if we stay in a 3-4 then we don't need to look at DL at all and can concentrate even more on offense, but I think Kubiak and most of the other top choices have run more 4-3 and would probably be more comfortable transforming the defense into a 4-3 (it may take a year or so to bring in the required personnel and clear out Walker/Payne's large contracts to be able to fully use a 4-3)

i think morknolle's draft would be the best possible scenario for this offseason. with those trades (and bentley in FA) we address our biggest hole at interior line, and get a legitimate DE for the 4-3 switch. i'd also give ike taylor a look if the steelers dont resign him, or any RCB's that get away. i wouldnt trade away our 3rd rounders though. if carpenter's projected to fall to the 2nd i'd grab him, and go with winston or d'brick in the first. with the thirds i'd make sure to get a TE (david thomas?) and a DB (i'd like to see dwayne slay in a polamalu type role, but i'm playing favorites since i dont know many db's), along with BPA on defense. those are areas that we can pick up in the 3rd and unless they spend their first three seasons on IR, can hardly do worse than our current players. with 4+ we stock up on defense and along with walk-ons, find another WR.

Thanks. I also wasn't sure about trading the three 3rd rounders off, but I know Michael Huff would be nice for the team and I don't have enough info at this time to pick out people that I think will be available in the 3rd round and that will help us, especially three of them, so I decided to add that trade in there, plus Denver historically does love those middle rounds and many times have traded out of the 1st round so that would be a plausible option, or we could package two of them and move back into the 2nd round somewhere if there is another guy we really want there.

royce1054
01-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Indeed I don't, I had explained in other threads my reasoning on that and I guess I didn't here. I think Rivers and/or Joppru could become a decent receiving option if they were coached properly and then actually used for that type of role, plus some good free agent TEs could be available (Billy Miller and Teyo Johnson are already available, Randy McMichael and others could be available). I think we have too many problems to fix with our upper picks than to go after a TE with them, and as you said the quality drops off in the 4th round, but if one slips thru to the 4th or lower I have no problems with getting one there. I don't see TE as that big of an issue (many successful offenses have been run without the prominent use of a TE anyways: the Colts now, the Rams back during the Greatest Show on Turf, etc.), and if our new coaches end up not being pleased with our current guys or any free agents, Olsen from Miami will be available next year and after hopefully trading down we'll have at least one extra 1st round pick next year and could look at getting him then. As for the defensive system, if we stay in a 3-4 then we don't need to look at DL at all and can concentrate even more on offense, but I think Kubiak and most of the other top choices have run more 4-3 and would probably be more comfortable transforming the defense into a 4-3 (it may take a year or so to bring in the required personnel and clear out Walker/Payne's large contracts to be able to fully use a 4-3)

Are you hoping Jopru will ever play. I dont know about you but i think God doesnt want him to play. I mean come on 3 years in a row he gets injuryed. I hate to bring religion into it but i dont expect him to ever play. If we do trade down which i believe is a strong possibility then we could get an extra 2nd or a 3rd this year if not both if we decide to rape a team of draft picks (doubt it) but we have to get a TE by the 4th round. I dont think Miller is the TE for us. He is a pass catching TE but not a blocker. Teyo he might be a good pick for us. McMicheal might be a good possibility. If we pick him up..... i will say good we dont need a TE... i just wouldnt rely on Jopru, River or Breuner. If we go 43 we could have Payne and Smith as DT 's and Walker and babin/Peek as the other end. the LB's would be Wong, Greenwood, and prob a draft pick here. CB we need a #2 CB either FA there or a 2nd round CB... we cant wait on a #2. Faggins and Pbuc have proved they are not good enough. SS we are good and FS we need one. By switching to a 43 that even makes it more likely we WOULD HAVE to trade down. We would need more higher round picks to fill our 3 holes on D. Not to mention on 3 holes on Offense. Thats 6 holes. OG, C, TE, LB, CB, FS. Say we sign McMicheal or Johnson good that vastly improves our O right there alone. We get a better catching/run TE now the D has to watch an extra postion down the field. Now DD will have extra holes to run through maybe get an extra .5 or whole yard a game avg. Carr would have less people that can blitz him. Now obcourse i dont think we go offense in 1st then. If we make the Jets deal and get abraham where do we put him. Sit babin or peek only way i can see it. Then we would go Hawk and put him at middle LB then move Greenwood to WLB. Then in the 2nd if we go OG to get Giles, Colledge or Setterstrom someone like that then what do we do at CB. Pbuc isnt not a starter. If we get a 2nd from the Jets then we are good but i doubt it. Now i believe that we get 1st this year and a 3rd then we get 1st next year, 4th and Abraham.... So we have 3 3rds. We could package 2 3rd rounders and move up into the 2nd and get a CB. Then we just have 1 pick in each of the other rounds. It really starts getting complicated doesnt it.

MorKnolle
01-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Gary Walker is in no way a 4-3 DE at this stage of his career. You are also forgetting OT as a hole unless you want to keep Todd Wade there, and I sure don't.

royce1054
01-11-2006, 11:43 AM
You see. There would be too many holes to switch like this esp this year unless you plan on trading down.