PDA

View Full Version : Young Announcing

Buffi2
01-08-2006, 03:14 PM
KHOU TV is getting ready for a press conference where VY is going to announce that he is going out for the draft and not returning to UT. Let the games begin!

Tulip
01-08-2006, 03:15 PM
That's CBS, right?

Big B Texan Fan
01-08-2006, 03:21 PM
ESPN News announces that Young is entering the NFL Draft.

Let the battles begin!!!!!!

Tulip
01-08-2006, 03:24 PM
It's not on KHOU now, but the press conference is live on KPRC 2.

FILO_girl
01-08-2006, 03:24 PM
He is thanking everyone, like his attitude!

The Dream
01-08-2006, 03:26 PM
damnit the TV at my work isn't getting 2.

Tulip
01-08-2006, 03:28 PM
Wow, he is so huge, even without his uniform.

Buffi2
01-08-2006, 03:28 PM
damnit the TV at my work isn't getting 2.
It is live on the internet KHOU.com

The Dream
01-08-2006, 03:29 PM
I guess I'll have to watch Sports Sunday tonight to catch some of it....damn NBC satellites!!!

Thanks for the info Buffie

Tulip
01-08-2006, 03:36 PM
When asked how he felt after last two touches of the Rose Bowl: VY says that he was excited for his teammates, knowing how hard they worked.

I'm going to miss him.

Fiddy
01-08-2006, 03:37 PM
He flat out said it: He wants to play for Houston.

FILO_girl
01-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Seems like he would be a great addition to our Texans family. Grounded and hard working. Wants to be the hometown boy.

Says he will "hard working and unlike any other QB you have seen." :)

Tulip
Fox just commented on the press conference. Jimmy and Terry were both very excited about Vince. Jimmy is incredibly impressed with his leadership, and Terry dismissed criticism of his arm. Jimmy said that because of David Carr, the Texans would probably pick Reggie Bush - the safe pick.

Buffi2
He flat out said it: He wants to play for Houston.
He also said earlier that it would be nice to play for Tennessee and to learn under McNair. Funny, he hasn't mentioned New Orleans.

The Dream
God even Terry freakin Bradshaw is saying Vince IS the real deal....God I have the worst feeling the Texans will pass him up and it'll come back and bite them in the ***.

Tulip
01-08-2006, 03:44 PM
I did like that he said whatever team wants him, he's ready to work hard.

He has a very interesting combination of confidence and humility. The right combination.

LikeABoss
01-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Funny, he hasn't mentioned New Orleans.

New Orleans doesn't need him, he's not even ready to play in a pro offense yet.

FILO_girl
01-08-2006, 03:45 PM
I did like that he said whatever team wants him, he's ready to work hard.

He has a very interesting combination of confidence and humility. The right combination.
He is very respectful of his family, you can tell they mean the world to him. Even mentioned his girlfriend Candace and HER family.

Carr Bombed
01-08-2006, 03:46 PM
God even Terry freakin Bradshaw is saying Vince IS the real deal....God I have the worst feeling the Texans will pass him up and it'll come back and bite them in the ***.For the next decade and two times a year

Tulip
01-08-2006, 03:47 PM
He also said earlier that it would be nice to play for Tennessee and to learn under McNair. Funny, he hasn't mentioned New Orleans.

Well, he was asked specifically about the Titans and the Texans in separate questions. And he has no connection to New Orleans.

New Orleans is not an attractive prospect right now, though. That's for sure.

The Dream
01-08-2006, 03:48 PM
I mean seriously what more could you want from your QB, he's humble, a leader, a winner, says the right things, does the right things, has freakish talent, has untapped potential...................oh that's right we have David Carr!!!! :yahoo:

Tulip
01-08-2006, 03:48 PM
He is very respectful of his family, you can tell they mean the world to him. Even mentioned his girlfriend Candace and HER family.

Qualities that the Texans found very attractive in Andre Johnson, I remember.

TexanSam
01-08-2006, 03:50 PM
Good for him. Hopefully he'll be drafted by Tennessee. I believe Carr will turn out to be a good quarterback and I believe Vince will be a good QB. If the Texans and Titans can both turn the programs around, it would be great to watch them battle it out. Hopefully it'll actually start a rivalry.

FILO_girl
01-08-2006, 03:50 PM
I mean seriously what more could you want from your QB, he's humble, a leader, a winner, says the right things, does the right things, has freakish talent, has untapped potential...................oh that's right we have David Carr!!!! :yahoo:

Kind of makes you wonder if (just if) David called a realtor right about 15 minutes ago. :hmmm:

samomin
01-08-2006, 04:05 PM
At least Casserly and Texans won't be able to avoid Vince Young questions anymore.

Tulip
01-08-2006, 04:07 PM
At least Casserly and Texans won't be able to avoid Vince Young questions anymore.

Starting at 10:35 tonight on Channel 13. Don't miss it!

The Dream
01-08-2006, 04:07 PM
they couldn't avoid them before, but now it's only gonna get much worst.

HoustonFrog
01-08-2006, 04:08 PM

LOL..I like that answer. The guys on Fox were just pimping Young. Bradshaw and Howie said they think he will be an outrigth stud and the main reason is because he is a WINNER and a leader. IMHO, something the Texans don't have. I think Bush is smart but Young has that potential and a disagree completely with people who think the Texans will be rebuilding again. Some QBs don't need 4 years and a bucket of excuses.

Nawzer
01-08-2006, 04:12 PM
Oh God we have to wait till April!!!! Can't they move up the draft for the sake of Texans fans? LOL...Anyway it should be a very exciting next couple of months.

Tulip
01-08-2006, 04:13 PM
LOL..I like that answer. The guys on Fox were just pimping Young. Bradshaw and Howie said they think he will be an outrigth stud and the main reason is because he is a WINNER and a leader. IMHO, something the Texans don't have.

Their excitement was way contagious. And yes, the biggest part is WINNER. I liked that Young said that he didn't pay much attention to his stats. He wants "W"s. That's it.

I think Bush is smart but Yound has that potential and a disagree completely with people who think the Texans will be rebuilding again. Some QBs don't need 4 years and a bucket of excuses.

Word.

swisher
01-08-2006, 04:15 PM
why do I have this sick feeling in the pit of my stomach?

Tulip
01-08-2006, 04:24 PM
why do I have this sick feeling in the pit of my stomach?

What's that, Swisher?

BREAZE
01-08-2006, 04:31 PM
What affect does this really have on rather a team is playing their though?

The games are played in a stadium that is being repaired.

I thought we were talking about a draft pick going there...not the team in general.

Tulip
01-08-2006, 04:33 PM
I liked talking about Vince Young, the actual topic of this thread, much more than I like talking about the Saints.

The Dream
01-08-2006, 04:34 PM
I did to, but dude wanted an answer so I gave it to him, but I'm done talking about them.

Carr Bombed
01-08-2006, 04:35 PM
can people get back on topic please the title of the tread is called "young announcing" not the damage and social ramifications of New Orleans

LikeABoss
01-08-2006, 04:36 PM
I thought we were talking about a draft pick going there...not the team in general.

Most Saint fans are happy to land anyone of these QBs. But a few of them feel Matt Leinart is the most NFL ready QB, hence the Avatar and siggy:)

Tulip
01-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Nevermind all that - I still don't know why Swisher's stomach is sick.

kbourda
01-08-2006, 04:40 PM
LOL..I like that answer. The guys on Fox were just pimping Young. Bradshaw and Howie said they think he will be an outrigth stud and the main reason is because he is a WINNER and a leader. IMHO, something the Texans don't have. I think Bush is smart but Young has that potential and a disagree completely with people who think the Texans will be rebuilding again. Some QBs don't need 4 years and a bucket of excuses.

To kinda piggy-back your thoughts Houston Frog, which are very valid, rebuilding is here now. Currently, we have no head coach, no offensive coordinator, no defensive coordinator, no offensive or defensive identity whatsoever, a lame duck GM, and an owner who hired a real football guy to get some results. We may not be "rebuilding", just auditioning for ABC's Extreme Makeover NFL franchise edition! Vince young makes all the sense in the world for the top pick. Last year, I think the general feeling was this franchise was a borderline playoff team or at least an over .500 record. With no Young or Bush. I say give Carr another year, draft Young (and let Reeves handle the draft), and restore the franchise to some amount of respect. If anyone thinks adding Bush to what we currently have would make us a contender is just as delusional as I could be for wanting to draft Young and letting him learn. The Houston Texans are in a REBUILDING mode. Like it or not.

The Dream
01-08-2006, 04:44 PM
thank you Bongo

To kinda piggy-back your thoughts Houston Frog, which are very valid, rebuilding is here now. Currently, we have no head coach, no offensive coordinator, no defensive coordinator, no offensive or defensive identity whatsoever, a lame duck GM, and an owner who hired a real football guy to get some results. We may not be "rebuilding", just auditioning for ABC's Extreme Makeover NFL franchise edition! Vince young makes all the sense in the world for the top pick. Last year, I think the general feeling was this franchise was a borderline playoff team or at least an over .500 record. With no Young or Bush. I say give Carr another year, draft Young (and let Reeves handle the draft), and restore the franchise to some amount of respect. If anyone thinks adding Bush to what we currently have would make us a contender is just as delusional as I could be for wanting to draft Young and letting him learn. The Houston Texans are in a REBUILDING mode. Like it or not.

exactly.....people are worried about taking a step back.....hell we are back.....we have no place to go but up.

Tulip
01-08-2006, 04:46 PM
Loud Noises! Loud Noises!

Texans Pride
01-08-2006, 04:50 PM
:offtopic :offtopic :offtopic :offtopic

Hey, if you all want to argue about which city is better, or if NO is ready for sports again, create a new thread.....I was looking for info on Vince Young coming out and his press conference....Instead I sifted through 3 1/2 pages of NO talk.

Thanks, you guys are the best!

munchman35
01-08-2006, 04:50 PM
Young would be an excellent choice for Houston. I root for Houston, and it would be great to see our Texans do well. Reggie isn't all he's been touted for, just rewatch the Rose Bowl. Vince would bring popularity and success to the Texans.

Tulip
01-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Young would be an excellent choice for Houston. I root for Houston, and it would be great to see our Texans do well. Reggie isn't all he's been touted for, just rewatch the Rose Bowl. Vince would bring popularity and success to the Texans.

Welcome to the board.

Jack Bauer
01-08-2006, 04:54 PM
:offtopic :offtopic :offtopic

Hey, if you all want to argue about which city is better, or if NO is ready for sports again, create a new thread.....I was looking for info on Vince Young coming out and his press conference....Instead I sifted through 3 1/2 pages of NO talk.

Thanks, you guys are the best!

You are right. Sorry about that. The OT of NO had already started, so I kind of forgot what thread I was in.

I think that Young made the right decision. :)

WWJD
01-08-2006, 04:57 PM
I'm kind of surprised Vince is coming out. Shows you how much I know...I was sure he'd want another chance at the Heisman.

I missed his press conference but this sure makes the Texans explosive offseason just that more combustible.

Mr. White
01-08-2006, 04:58 PM
thank you Bongo

exactly.....people are worried about taking a step back.....hell we are back.....we have no place to go but up.

I'm in your corner, Dream. The tough thing here is getting Bob and Charley to admit that Carr isn't Joe Montana. To them, drafting VY is an admission of failure of their first franchise pick. The truth is that better options DO come along and you gotta look at the bottom line and take the best guy available regardless of position or where he's from.

That being said, it's Vince.

Khari
01-08-2006, 04:58 PM
The New Orleans debate has been split off into a new thread.....

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?t=16906

Mr. White
01-08-2006, 05:00 PM

Thank God

T_Guru
01-08-2006, 05:02 PM

:highfive:

dat_boy_yec
01-08-2006, 05:04 PM
I agree with alot that has been said. Except the keeping of Carr. In order to keep him we would have to pick up the 8 mill. dollar option. If we pick up Young our best option I think would be to get another FA QB to fill the void while Young learns the system and gets used to the NFL. Carr should be free to persue his future on another team and prove his worth. This yr. there are alot of decent QB's that are FA's Warner, Kitna guys who are veterans and are used to the mentoring role a la Manning and Palmer. I hate to put it like this but Carrs mentoring strongpoint would probably be how to take a sack. Also by not picking up Carr's option it frees up cap money, making VY's contract almost insignificant because he would get the money that was owed to Carr and we would still have plenty of money to pursue other free agents like NO's Bentley, Indies. Mathis, etc.etc. Also it's not like the coach coming in is loosing anything if Carr isn't here waiting for him. To those that say we're not getting any trade value for Carr, that's crazy we'd be getting an upgrade almost for free in letting him go. There are alot of ways that the Texans could work Young into their plans, when and if they said they wanted Bush it was before Young was thinking about declaring. Also Bush hasn't declared yet and he might not declare, even though everybody thinks it's a given that Bush will declare he's made comments that could lead one to think he won't. As far as the ppl that have declared so far VY is the best, until Bush officially declares VY should be considered the consensus #1 pick.

Tulip
01-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Casserly says that he learned in Washington to take the best player available, regardless of need.

Not that I believe that the Texans do that.

If you think about it, none of the Texans's positions are "need" positions. They can choose to accept whatever level of talent they have at each position. Is the QB position really on a current higher talent level than the RB positon?

In this first round, we just aren't drafting on need. We're taking advantage of the ability to get young, freakish talent in a top-tier position.

The Dream
01-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Is the QB position really on a current higher talent level than the RB positon?

No it's not, that's why I say get Vince (who I'm 99% sure will be better than Carr) and keep an already good RB in Davis.

kbourda
01-08-2006, 05:12 PM
Casserly says that he learned in Washington to take the best player available, regardless of need.

Not that I believe that the Texans do that.

If you think about it, none of the Texans's positions are "need" positions. They can choose to accept whatever level of talent they have at each position. Is the QB position really on a current higher talent level than the RB positon?

In this first round, we just aren't drafting on need. We're taking advantage of the ability to get young, freakish talent in a top-tier position.

Great point, Tulip. I was about to say the same thing.

Wordem
01-08-2006, 05:17 PM

That player is Vince Young. It's not even close.

dirty steve
01-08-2006, 05:17 PM
No it's not, that's why I say get Vince (who I'm 99% sure will be better than Carr) and keep an already good RB in Davis.

how can you possibly know that? and what would qualify young as being better than carr over the course said careers? if young lights it up and throws up sick stats, but carr brings us to the playoffs and maybe a champioship one day, would you guys be happy then?

would you rather be tom brady (alot of SB rings) or dan marino (alot of pasing yds./TD'S)? why do you think you hear players say they would trade in career accolades for just a shot at a championship?

Tulip
01-08-2006, 05:23 PM
how can you possibly know that? and what would qualify young as being better than carr over the course said careers? if young lights it up and throws up sick stats, but carr brings us to the playoffs and maybe a champioship one day, would you guys be happy then?

would you rather be tom brady (alot of SB rings) or dan marino (alot of pasing yds./TD'S)? why do you think you hear players say they would trade in career accolades for just a shot at a championship?

Whoa - who said Vince=stats? Vince=wins. He is a freak. He gets it done through the air, on the ground, he recovers his running back's fumbles. (He may even make a mean waffle, I'm not really sure. ;))Whatever needs to be done to win.

WiiBrawler
01-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Reports say Vince Young will go pro, all you Vince Young supporters are gonna go crazy arent you? Ok this makes it tougher

Tulip
01-08-2006, 06:47 PM
Reports say Vince Young will go pro, all you Vince Young supporters are gonna go crazy arent you? Ok this makes it tougher

Vince Young went pro 3 1/2 hours ago. Trust me, I'm no crazier than I was yesterday, because I had no doubt he would declare.

T_Guru
01-08-2006, 06:47 PM

Reports were yesterday... he's already had the press conference.

Texans Horror
01-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Something to consider: how many players wanted to go to Houston before they entered the draft? This is not meant to be anything against Carr, but there is something to be said for a star player who wants to come to Houston.

I think we have good run blocking, so Vince will be able to do some great running at QB. HOWEVER, I just finished watching the Steelers, and I couldn't help but see a Randle El kind of player in Vince. He has height and speed, and could you imagine him throwing the ball back to Carr, who chunks it downfield to Dre?

As a humorous aside, I think we have horrible pass blocking, so we need a QB who can run around the backfield trying to evade linebackers.

BREAZE
01-08-2006, 07:28 PM
Reports were yesterday... he's already had the press conference.

And its now dark outside.

I'm not expecting to get any juicy info out of Casserly anytime soon regarding VY as it seems no comments can be made until the official "declared" list is released from the NFL. Then he will shuffle and not make an comments until a coach is selected. Then an O-cordinator. Then tryouts. Then...

swisher
01-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Nevermind all that - I still don't know why Swisher's stomach is sick.

I appreciate your concern....

I think it has to do with the thought that no matter who we pick, it will be the wrong one.

It's kinda like going to the grocery store and getting in line, then seeing a faster line you switch to that one, only to see that if you had just stayed in the first line you would be home by now.

HJam72
01-08-2006, 08:48 PM
As a humorous aside, I think we have horrible pass blocking, so we need a QB who can run around the backfield trying to evade linebackers.

Why, so he can be hurt and sit out 4 or 5 games a year? If you realize that our O-line is horrible, then you should want to do something about it instead of spending a #1 pick for flash and pomp.

I know that Young is something special, but I think too many people are being blinded by passion here.

Tulip
01-08-2006, 08:53 PM
I appreciate your concern....

I think it has to do with the thought that no matter who we pick, it will be the wrong one.

It's kinda like going to the grocery store and getting in line, then seeing a faster line you switch to that one, only to see that if you had just stayed in the first line you would be home by now.

Ah. I feel ya.

Pscooter21
01-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Great point, Tulip. I was about to say the same thing.

I completely agree with you, but I'm starting to feel militant about a comment Chris Mortenson of ESPN said,"The Houston Texans will give David Carr his 8 mill and draft Reggie Bush" I nearly passed out when I heard that.

Later..................

Pscooter21................

Pscooter21
01-08-2006, 09:08 PM

Dude you won't convince the people who like Vince and we won't convince those of you who like Carr. Thats just the way it is.

Later...........

Pscooter21...............