PDA

View Full Version : Is Carr a LEADER???

BattleRedTexan
01-07-2006, 11:03 PM
I'm fairly new to this board, so I don't know if this has been addressed before...

I think Carr has all of the talent and tools necessary to be a GREAT quarterback, but the reason that I am all caught up in the Vincent Young "hype" is because I question Carr's leadership abilities.

Most people I talk to don't seem to think that Carr is a LEADER.

When you see V. Young play, he gives off a vibe that he is going to LEAD his team to victory. I'm just not sure if Carr has "it."

I truely hope that Carr become a great LEADER. I hope after having such a bad season, he will refocus and rededicate himself to being the very best player he can be..... Only HE can determine his legacy now. If he can LEAD the Texans to the playoffs, he will become Houston's "Golden Boy."

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens with the NFL Draft...

Tulip
01-07-2006, 11:07 PM
IMO, he is not a leader. And I don't think it's because he wasn't "allowed" to be a leader. People either are leaders or they aren't.

But I hope that he does improve, and I hope that I'm wrong about his leadership qualities, because it appears that I'm stuck with him - at least for the next year.

Grid
01-07-2006, 11:08 PM
I think its about impossible to tell.. but from what I have seen he has the ability to be a leader.

Napa Auto Parts
01-07-2006, 11:10 PM
The Question is is he a leader im going to say NO simple as that.

tulexan
01-07-2006, 11:11 PM
IMO, he is not a leader. And I don't think it's because he wasn't "allowed" to be a leader. People either are leaders or they aren't.

When your team is run by an oligarchy of coordinators, you would be surprised what you can and can't do.

Grid
01-07-2006, 11:12 PM
how can you say NO when you have no PROOF?

I think that people are equating winning with leading.

BattleRedTexan
01-07-2006, 11:14 PM
You would think that after 4 years, we would be able to say FOR SURE whether or not he is a leader...

And I think there is a difference between being a sidelines "cheerleader" who tries to get people fired up, and being a true leader ON THE FIELD.

A leader, in my opinion, is someone who "takes the reins" and says:

"Okay guys, WE'RE going to win this game." (His team believes in him, and there is no doubt in their mind that they are going to do it.)

Marcus
01-07-2006, 11:16 PM

Why of course they do. Just like they equate losing with that tired and overused "no emotion or fire". :rolleyes:

J-Man
01-07-2006, 11:28 PM
A leader, in my opinion, is someone who "takes the reins" and says:

"Okay guys, WE'RE going to win this game." (His team believes in him, and there is no doubt in their mind that they are going to do it.)

...then drives his team down into the opponents territory late in the 4th QTR and watches a perfect 30yrd strike bounce off the hands of his WR on the 2yrd line.

Bottom line is unless you are in the huddle or locker room NONE of us can really answer the question.

texanfan2002114
01-07-2006, 11:29 PM
I think its about impossible to tell.. but from what I have seen he has the ability to be a leader.

he has the ability to be a leader but even Bob McNair questions it some. He said during the press conference that he wants Carr to step up more and take more of the leadership role on this team.

As soon as I find the exact quote I will post it.

Fiddy
01-07-2006, 11:34 PM

I think that people are equating winning with leading. Remember what Sharper said that got him cut. "We need a leader on this team" or something to that effect after they lost a close game.

You question Carr, you get kicked off the team.

dirty steve
01-07-2006, 11:38 PM
Remember what Sharper said that got him cut. "We need a leader on this team" or something to that effect after they lost a close game.

why couldn't sharper have been that player? he reminds me of scott pippen as far as shirking responsibility when he is given it.

amazing how dunta is a leader in his 2nd overall season in the league and sharper never seemed to get to that point.

Fiddy
01-07-2006, 11:50 PM
why couldn't sharper have been that player? he reminds me of scott pippen as far as shirking responsibility when he is given it.

amazing how dunta is a leader in his 2nd overall season in the league and sharper never seemed to get to that point. Yeah, that was what a lot of people said, that's why most took it as a shot at Carr...

Tulip
01-07-2006, 11:55 PM

Doesn't he leave practice the second it's over - not spending any time bonding with his teammates?

BattleRedTexan
01-08-2006, 10:45 AM
Well, I just HOPE that Carr STEPS UP this season.

He is just beginning to see how it is going to be for him if he does not perform. He's still young (only in his 4th season in the NFL) and people are already beginning to question him and talk about getting another quarterback.

Until this past season, people were still on the Carr bandwagon, but now people are starting to get tired.

As far as our draft pick goes, I think we will be fine either way. Bush and Young are both phenomenal players, and you can't go wrong either way (although the "hometown factor" has people in a frenzy about Young right now). If the Texans get either of these two guys, we will be in good shape.

But regardless of what happens, Carr needs to take this team to the next level next season. He needs to step up and LEAD the Texans, otherwise he is going to find people questioning him for the rest of his career. At this point, Carr's legacy is in his own hands, and I for one hope that he chooses to spend this offseason preparing to prove everyone wrong next season...

Wharton
01-08-2006, 11:24 AM
On one of the early morning 610 interview Steve McKinney was asked this same question. Is DC the leader of the offense? McKinney answer was NO. Why? I don't know, he just isn't.

There is also proof of it on the sidelines during games. Othe sucessful quarterbacks, like Manning and Palmer take an active roll in guiding the offense. They talk to coaches, meet with wide receivers, running backs, and o-linemen. DC does none of this. He has not been, is not now and will not be a leader!

Tulip
01-08-2006, 11:49 AM
On one of the early morning 610 interview Steve McKinney was asked this same question. Is DC the leader of the offense? McKinney answer was NO. Why? I don't know, he just isn't.

That's pretty disturbing. If the guy who hands you the ball on every play doesn't think you're the leader, this team is in trouble.

CaptainPatriot
01-08-2006, 11:54 AM

All you have to do is look in a Leaders Eyes when the game is on the line in the 4th Q! There is your PROOF IE: Montana,Brady and now VY at least at the College Level. Look at Montana and Brady last College Bowl Games.
I would hate to see in 3 yrs VY and Titans going to playoffs and Texans still saying Give Carr cpl more yrs. he is almost there! Reggie Bush ends up being like a Peter Warrick.

Speedy
01-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Bottom line is unless you are in the huddle or locker room NONE of us can really answer the question.Perfect statement. You can go ahead and close this thread....discussion over.

Tulip
01-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Perfect statement. You can go ahead and close this thread....discussion over.

Fortunately for us, we don't have to speculate on everything. Texans players provide just enough quotes to the media for us to form opinions about the general behind-the-scenes feeling.

Speedy
01-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Fortunately for us, we don't have to speculate on everything. Texans players provide just enough quotes to the media for us to form opinions about the general behind-the-scenes feeling.Again, you're not in the locker room, you don't know jack about leaders on this team.

edo783
01-08-2006, 12:27 PM
On one of the early morning 610 interview Steve McKinney was asked this same question. Is DC the leader of the offense? McKinney answer was NO. Why? I don't know, he just isn't.!

It has occured to me recently, that McKinny might actually be one of or maybe, the issue. Seems pretty full of himself and with comments like "We have one of the best lines in the league" tells me he isn't on planet reality. As a league veteran, he might be bullying and belittling our young/rookie players. You know how it is when you have the loudmouth, know it all around. No one has any good points or says anything good but him and he drives others into being quit. About the only way to shut that type up is to beat them about the head and shoulders or ship their butts out the door. Not sure if this is the case, but he has all the earmarks to be it to me.

Tulip
01-08-2006, 12:32 PM
Again, you're not in the locker room, you don't know jack about leaders on this team.

Do you really think that what goes on in the locker room really stays in the locker room? You can see all kinds of things on the field. You can see how players interact with each other. You can hear the quotes the players give the media. You see the individual player's body language after plays. Reporters give us accounts of a player's work schedule.

The locker room is not a vacuum. And if it is, then it's irrelevant to "team chemistry" because it has no bearing on what happens on the field.

Napa Auto Parts
01-08-2006, 12:41 PM

Im Sorry all i know is what i see in the field what i hear from the other players and from that i get my Opinion not that my opinion would be correct but from what ive heard and seen it more than likely it is. im sorry You feel like you have to defend carr every time he is being criticized.:twocents:

texan_fan
01-08-2006, 01:02 PM
Remember what Sharper said that got him cut. "We need a leader on this team" or something to that effect after they lost a close game.

You got it.

What bothers me? I see the potential in Carr to BE a leader. I think, given his history with the team ( new team, new to the NFL, etc. ) he hasn't been given the opportunity to SHOW it.

We've seen flashes...when the coaches give him *permission* in the first half to let HIM make the decisions on the field, he's everything we as fans WANT in a QB. The entire team steps up and performs at a higher level.

(Until they come back from halftime...:brickwall )

Why they won't let out the reins and give him control the ENTIRE game baffles me...

And YES, in a perfect world, Carr would absorb some of Manning's *take charge* attitude. Wouldn't you LOVE to see THAT on the field?!?!?!

But again, I don't think Carr has the *nerve* to just go out there and risk upsetting the coaches by doing what NEEDS to be done.

I hope, for ALL our sakes, that the next HC sees what WE do and tells Carr *It's time-go play YOUR game YOUR way.* Then, and ONLY then, will anyone REALLY know what he's made of!

Wharton
01-08-2006, 05:03 PM
It has occured to me recently, that McKinny might actually be one of or maybe, the issue.

hehe, if your on our line, you are one of the problems! Personally, I don't think any player on this team should feel confident about thier position. Everyone should be cut bait after last year. 2-14 is not just coaching, we have a personnel problem too. These guys may be talented, but as a team they have learned how to lose.

Hookem Horns
01-08-2006, 05:09 PM
I have seen Carr sitting on the sideline, hanging his head, and pouting too often to consider him a leader.

HoustonFrog
01-08-2006, 05:12 PM
NO. It is a resounding NO!!There have been rumblings from other players all year. He doesn't stay after practice. He doesn't watch extra film. The guys on Fox were just pimping Young. Bradshaw and Howie said they think he will be an outright stud and the main reason is because he is a WINNER and a leader. IMHO, something the Texans don't have. I think Bush is smart but Yound has that potential and a disagree completely with people who think the Texans will be rebuilding again. Some QBs don't need 4 years and a bucket of excuses. The D guys we cut last year WERE the team leaders and you saw it erode without them this year.

Wordem
01-08-2006, 05:18 PM
He's nowhere near the caliber of leader that Vince Young is. Players rally around VY like it was second nature because they realize his play makes them better, literally. He's a freak. Other players know it. They want to be a part of the greatness that is Vince Young.

I can't wait to welcome him home.

Tale Gator
01-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Two pages and no one has blamed the OL on Carr's lack of leadership qualities...

C'mon guys you're slipping. :boxing:

Wharton
01-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Two pages and no one has blamed the OL on Carr's lack of leadership qualities...

C'mon guys you're slipping. :boxing:

What does our crappy o-line have to do with Carr's lack of leadership?

z0rpAn
01-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Carr has not shown to be a leader. Everytime he leaves the field he's usually seen sitting his butt on the bench talking on the phone to someone upstairs, GETTING GUIDANCE. Instead of making Bradford feel like crap because he missed a should be easy TD catch or crapping at the O-Line to block for him. He is a trained monkey.

Thats from what I've seen during the games on T.V.

bullman
01-09-2006, 12:25 PM
Carr has not shown to be a leader. Everytime he leaves the field he's usually seen sitting his butt on the bench talking on the phone to someone upstairs, GETTING GUIDANCE. Instead of making Bradford feel like crap because he missed a should be easy TD catch or crapping at the O-Line to block for him. He is a trained monkey.

Thats from what I've seen during the games on T.V.
Carr is a great leader, you wouldn't be saying all this BS if the Texans were winning, Carr is lot better than VY, VY has no leadership skills nothing compared to Carr, Carr is a family man, what is VY, nothing more than a guy who wears his hat bakcwards, and talks like a thug, the Texans dont need this on their team, leave Carr alone he is the Texans future!!!!!!!!!!!:challenge

HoustonFrog
01-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Carr is a great leader, you wouldn't be saying all this BS if the Texans were winning, Carr is lot better than VY, VY has no leadership skills nothing compared to Carr, Carr is a family man, what is VY, nothing more than a guy who wears his hat bakcwards, and talks like a thug, the Texans dont need this on their team, leave Carr alone he is the Texans future!!!!!!!!!!!:challenge

this may be the worst post i have ever seen here. I'd attack someone personally but just swore that off in another post. First, show me where he is a leader. Mckinney said he wasn't the leader of the team and he is one of his lineman. How does VY have no leadership skills after just single handedly taking his team to a NC. He is a good church kid who has done good things. Your statement was racist and dumb. This has to be a troll post to incite because none of it made sense.

Coach C.
01-09-2006, 12:37 PM
I want to point out that Sharper questioned leadership within the coaching staff. He felt that Fangio and Palmer did not put them in position to win, and Capers did nothing to help them. As far as Carr being a leader, yes he is. Now I feel that as the QB he needs to take a more vocal leadership role rather than the role that he takes now. Carr leads this team, and the players follow his lead, but he refuses to truly hold others accountable like most other QBs do. He will take the punishment and criticism on his shoulders and not complain, but this is just half of leadership in my opinion. Carr can be a much better leader, and he has shown this at FSstate. I think his problems and discomfort in this system has led him to his current state.

edo783
01-09-2006, 12:40 PM
I want to point out that Sharper questioned leadership within the coaching staff. He felt that Fangio and Palmer did not put them in position to win, and Capers did nothing to help them. As far as Carr being a leader, yes he is. Now I feel that as the QB he needs to take a more vocal leadership role rather than the role that he takes now. Carr leads this team, and the players follow his lead, but he refuses to truly hold others accountable like most other QBs do. He will take the punishment and criticism on his shoulders and not complain, but this is just half of leadership in my opinion. Carr can be a much better leader, and he has shown this at FSstate. I think his problems and discomfort in this system has led him to his current state.

Good post Coach and right on target IMO.

ImSoTexas
01-09-2006, 01:08 PM
Depends on how his teamates think of him. I have seldom seen him carry this team when they are struggling.

bullman
01-09-2006, 01:10 PM
this may be the worst post i have ever seen here. I'd attack someone personally but just swore that off in another post. First, show me where he is a leader. Mckinney said he wasn't the leader of the team and he is one of his lineman. How does VY have no leadership skills after just single handedly taking his team to a NC. He is a good church kid who has done good things. Your statement was racist and dumb. This has to be a troll post to incite because none of it made sense.
What the hell does this have to do with race, dont you play that race card BS here, All I'm saying is that VY does not show great leadership skills, he should have stayed a UT for another year, dont play that Jesse Jackson BS with me, the media ha hyped up vy, Mckinney is worthless anyway, he just mad that he cant block anybody!:challenge

ImSoTexas
01-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Carr is a great leader, you wouldn't be saying all this BS if the Texans were winning, Carr is lot better than VY, VY has no leadership skills nothing compared to Carr, Carr is a family man, what is VY, nothing more than a guy who wears his hat bakcwards, and talks like a thug, the Texans dont need this on their team, leave Carr alone he is the Texans future!!!!!!!!!!!:challengeWhat the hell does that mean? Wears his hat backward & talks like a thug? WoW.....Are we profiling here? What has Vince done to you to make you so bitter towards him. People are just giving their opinions and you're catching mad feelings. What gives?

HoustonFrog
01-09-2006, 01:21 PM
What the hell does this have to do with race, dont you play that race card BS here, All I'm saying is that VY does not show great leadership skills, he should have stayed a UT for another year, dont play that Jesse Jackson BS with me, the media ha hyped up vy, Mckinney is worthless anyway, he just mad that he cant block anybody!:challenge

Your statements are absurd. I brought up race because you equated "guy who wears his hat bakcwards, and talks like a thug" to leadership. So I guess you are smarter than all of the college head coaches and guys like Howie Long, Bradshaw, Ronnie Lott and others who have said his #1 best trait is leadership. He took over games and put his team on his back. He started making guys work out early last season so they could be prepared for anything. The whole team calls him their leader. Your post just makes no sense. Sorry. I'm not even pushing to draft the guy but this post is so far off and has no value to it.

bullman
01-09-2006, 01:22 PM
What the hell does that mean? Wears his hat backward & talks like a thug? WoW.....Are we profiling here? What has Vince done to you to make you so bitter towards him. People are just giving their opinions and you're catching mad feelings. What gives?
I'm tired about hearing about VY, people treat him like he is God and going to save the team, which he is not going to do, VY had one good game which was last wednesday night(wow!) Carr is the future, not vy, vy needs to mature first!

swtbound07
01-09-2006, 01:25 PM
I'm tired about hearing about VY, people treat him like he is God and going to save the team, which he is not going to do, VY had one good game which was last wednesday night(wow!) Carr is the future, not vy, vy needs to mature first!

so many things wrong with this post.

Carr is not the future, carr is the past 4 years of sub .500 football. Vince had 2 years of continuously good football, not one game. Just because you only stuck your head out from whatever rock it was living under, doesnt mean you can discount his entire college career. Maybe he could save this team...who are you to predict the future?

bullman
01-09-2006, 01:29 PM
so many things wrong with this post.

Carr is not the future, carr is the past 4 years of sub .500 football. Vince had 2 years of continuously good football, not one game. Just because you only stuck your head out from whatever rock it was living under, doesnt mean you can discount his entire college career. Maybe he could save this team...who are you to predict the future?
Carr has bad coaching wake up, and plus pro's are different from college, so dont start comparing the two, you must be a ut fan, because your sure sound like one!

bullman
01-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Your statements are absurd. I brought up race because you equated "guy who wears his hat bakcwards, and talks like a thug" to leadership. So I guess you are smarter than all of the college head coaches and guys like Howie Long, Bradshaw, Ronnie Lott and others who have said his #1 best trait is leadership. He took over games and put his team on his back. He started making guys work out early last season so they could be prepared for anything. The whole team calls him their leader. Your post just makes no sense. Sorry. I'm not even pushing to draft the guy but this post is so far off and has no value to it.
All vy can do is run, and you cant do that in the NFL, look at micheal vick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

ImSoTexas
01-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Bush has gotten more hype than anyone this year, how do you feel about him being the 1st pick? Does he make the team better? Does he even play every down? One good game? Nah, but it was on the largest stage, I think Vince is the logical pick but we will see what the owner & coaches do. No need to talk down on any of these players plus its makes alot of since for home grown fans to want a product of Houston playing in his own back yard.

swtbound07
01-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Carr has bad coaching wake up, and plus pro's are different from college, so dont start comparing the two, you must be a ut fan, because your sure sound like one!

Please. Im from TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY. Anybody who has followed my posts on this board can show that an orangeblood is the last thing you can label me with.

Gee? Pros and college are different? Man, maybe i need to learn a lot more about football before i post here. Apparently so many things are beyond my grasp. Carr might have had bad coaching. He also has bad PERFORMANCES. You dont know if good coaching will save him. As of right now, Carr is just as much a PROSPECT as vince young. As in, they both have the potential to be good in the nfl, just neither of them ever have been.

bullman
01-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Vince is not comming here, how many times must you here this.
HOW MANY TIMES!!!!!!!!!!
Sub Par football?
Nice to see Carr is the only one out there playing.
They wont listen because they are living in a fantasy land, CC said he is picking up carr's option, cant you people understand that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

swtbound07
01-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Vince is not comming here, how many times must you here this.
HOW MANY TIMES!!!!!!!!!!
Sub Par football?
Nice to see Carr is the only one out there playing.

Ummm.....your gonna have to keep telling me until after the draft, because until they take reggie i wont beleive it. I didnt say sub par football. I said sub .500 football. There is a difference. We can debate his PERFORMANCE. you cant argue with his record. Its not good. Until you wake up and channel the spirit of miss cleo, stop speaking in absolutes.

CenTexNative
Now this looks , to me at least, like comparring apple and oranges.
1) Vince Young - Plays of a team that has excellent blocking and gives him plenty of time to either spot a reciever or run when he needs to. BLOCKING birng the key

2) David Carr - Plays on a team that can't block for more than a couple of plays a game. This means that David Carr is running for his life while trying to get a pass off.

This makes no sense to me. What I would like to see is how they do side by side with as close to exact protection or lack thereof. Then and only then. in my opinion, can an accurate comparason be made.

Oh and Yes I do believe David Carr is a leader

HoustonFrog
They wont listen because they are living in a fantasy land, CC said he is picking up carr's option, cant you people understand that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David, please go throw the ball with friends, look at tape or just practice. You coming to the boards won't change things. Geesh Carr, get it together.:redtowel:

swtbound07
01-09-2006, 01:36 PM
All vy can do is run, and you cant do that in the NFL, look at micheal vick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

You mean the Mike Vick that went to the NFC Championship last year?
The Mike Vick that routinely runs through defenses for 100 yard qb rushing games?
Maybe the Mike Vick that ran through Green Bay in Lambeau.

Man...that boy hasnt done ANYTHING in the NFL...biggest bust ever...geez

HoustonFrog
01-09-2006, 01:36 PM
Yes he does make us better, the abillity to take it to the house when ever he touches the football, line him up in every possition in the field.
The guy trained and got praises from Ladanian Tomlinson, that is pretty good.

Bush works hard and I do like he trained with LT. Good post.

swtbound07
01-09-2006, 01:37 PM
Yes he does make us better, the abillity to take it to the house when ever he touches the football, line him up in every possition in the field.
The guy trained and got praises from Ladanian Tomlinson, that is pretty good.

the guy TRAINED ladanian tomlinson?? Really? i didnt know he was mentoring NFL backs....in that case....:brickwall

airforcelover
01-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Is Carr A LEADER???

The short answer to your question is ....

NO!!!!

A little longer answer is...

No way, No how, never

Just watch the team when someone scores. On the field and sidelines, they all congratulate each other and when Carr comes up they turn their backs and walk off. No one, except Capers, would even talk to him on the sidelines.

I am sure many won't agree with me, but I have always thought that Tony should have been our #1 QB. Maybe I am dreaming, but it just seems to me that the team respects him and the OL sure protects him better.

Carr isn't even worth my :twocents: , much less his pay check.

swtbound07
01-09-2006, 01:39 PM
So the record is Carrs fault, WOW so much this guy does to bring down the franchise.

I believe the question was, is carr a LEADER. If carr was really a leader, he would logically be the place to look for the teams record, wouldnt he? Or would that responsibility be delegated to one of his "sub-leaders?"

bullman
01-09-2006, 01:41 PM
You mean the Mike Vick that went to the NFC Championship last year?
The Mike Vick that routinely runs through defenses for 100 yard qb rushing games?
Maybe the Mike Vick that ran through Green Bay in Lambeau.

Man...that boy hasnt done ANYTHING in the NFL...biggest bust ever...geez
What happened to Michael Vick this year, no playoffs, got whipped by Carolina at home 44-11, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mick Vick has lost it!

swtbound07
01-09-2006, 01:43 PM
What happened to Michael Vick this year, no playoffs, got whipped by Carolina at home 44-11, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mick Vick has lost it!

So having one bad loss and finishing 8-8 means you've lost it? then those 14 losses must really be haunting david carr. What happened to the Eagles this year......donovan mcnabb must have lost it. After all, they were in the super bowl last year, no playoffs, got destroyed in several games they played. Stupid, Stupid point.

swtbound07
01-09-2006, 01:44 PM
is he the only guy on the field.
yes or no.

Nope. Does he deserve no blame for 2-14?

Dennis007
01-09-2006, 01:48 PM
The short answer to your question is ....

NO!!!!

A little longer answer is...

No way, No how, never

Just watch the team when someone scores. On the field and sidelines, they all congratulate each other and when Carr comes up they turn their backs and walk off. No one, except Capers, would even talk to him on the sidelines.

I am sure many won't agree with me, but I have always thought that Tony should have been our #1 QB. Maybe I am dreaming, but it just seems to me that the team respects him and the OL sure protects him better.

Carr isn't even worth my :twocents: , much less his pay check.

DITTO! :jumpbanan

I couldn't have said it any better - Close the thread! :yahoo:

HoustonFrog
01-09-2006, 01:52 PM
I agree. So basically, according to some of you, Carr is a leader BUT it wasn't his fault. Carr should be the man BUT coaching did nothing for him. Carr would be a great QB BUT the line failed him. Carr holding on to the ball and looking down receivers is an aberration BUT he has all these mad skills. ...you see where I'm going?4 years and a bucket full of excuses. Basically the team just did nothing for him for 4 years and he was above it all. Too funny!!

swtbound07
01-09-2006, 01:53 PM
I agree. So basically, according to some of you, Carr is a leader BUT it wasn't his fault. Carr should be the man BUT coaching did nothing for him. Carr would be a great QB BUT the line failed him. Carr holding on to the ball and looking down receivers is an aberration BUT he has all these mad skills. ...you see where I'm going?4 years and a bucket full of excuses. Basically the team just did nothing for him for 4 years and he was above it all. Too funny!!

I'll drink to that. Eventually there comes a point in your career where you have to rise above obstacles. Carr hasnt.

HoustonFrog
01-09-2006, 02:03 PM
Excuses or Truth?
So it makes me wounder why is he still here just because he is a good guy?
If McNair wants to win why not just let Carr go if
he is not a leader, holds on to the ball, is not accurate and the sacks are his fault, they could just cut him loose and draft Young or Leinhart.

This is where we agree. I have never said that he might not be a good QB. It is just my opinion that he won't be and I think his status in the locker room has deteriorated due to the fact that not only were they bad but he didn't stay after practice to work on things and he didn't watch extra film. I don't see any teammates taking up for the guy..in fact some have said he isn't the leader. This is the contract year so we will see what happens. But for my taste, I'm tired of it being everyone elses fault when all he had to do was show what he was made of during these seasons. He hasn't shown anything to me. Hopefully if they keep him, I'll be wrong.

swtbound07
01-09-2006, 02:24 PM
Houston Dogg and the rest:

Carr is a leader. You are clueless. Vince Young has one good game against a sorry-*** USC defense and you think he can play. DID YOU FORGET THE A&M game? Remember Fresno State scored 42 against USC and had 5 second half turnovers........so......

.......sit you fair-weathered *** down.

Carr takes 200+ sacks and keeps his opinions to himself. Pukes like Frogg pour beer on his wife and he is restrained in his comments.

He had a better college career than Young. He has a much stronger arm and is more accurate. If Young played behind Houston's sorry *** line the past four years, he would probably be out of football.

Give Carr a real chance to show his skills. I guess the facts that every other Coach and explayer in the league who has commented agrees that Carr has not had a real shot yet.

just because we dont think david is the answer doesnt make us fairweather fans.

No need for profanity, as it is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate.

People pouring beer on david's wife has nothing to do with his ability to play qb.

David hasnt had a real shot yet. Okay and? the texans are still going to have some major holes next year. Like it or not, this is the team he plays on. He is either going to suceed or not. Not everyone gets the ideal situation to suceed, but make do with what they have.

Vince young has had more than one good game. This has been addressed.

Bottom line, Carr hasnt gotten it done, and there is no reason to predict a 180 in his performance.

Hookem Horns
01-09-2006, 02:33 PM
Rough Start at 0-3
10/06/05

We’re not giving up on it yet. Even though we’ve started 0-3, Joe Pendry was talking the other day saying he coached a team in Buffalo that started 0-3 and they ended up getting beat by the Dolphins in the playoffs. Our season is not over yet. I would tell anyone that is kind of doubting to hold on to that for a couple weeks. Make sure you see what we got with what we’re doing on offense and the confidence we’re playing with. We’ll see what we can do. I don’t think this week is necessarily a must win, but I think it is a must play well. I think our guys have to go out with confidence and play the way I know that we can play. Play the way that we did last week for the most part barring a few plays we just didn’t make the plays that I wish we could take back. Other than that, I think that if our guys go out and do what we’re supposed to do, the rest will take care of itself.

http://www.nflplayers.com/players/player.aspx?id=32977&section=journal

texan279
01-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Rough Start at 0-3
10/06/05

We’re not giving up on it yet. Even though we’ve started 0-3, Joe Pendry was talking the other day saying he coached a team in Buffalo that started 0-3 and they ended up getting beat by the Dolphins in the playoffs. Our season is not over yet. I would tell anyone that is kind of doubting to hold on to that for a couple weeks. Make sure you see what we got with what we’re doing on offense and the confidence we’re playing with. We’ll see what we can do. I don’t think this week is necessarily a must win, but I think it is a must play well. I think our guys have to go out with confidence and play the way I know that we can play. Play the way that we did last week for the most part barring a few plays we just didn’t make the plays that I wish we could take back. Other than that, I think that if our guys go out and do what we’re supposed to do, the rest will take care of itself.

Sounds good to me...

swtbound07
01-09-2006, 02:41 PM
SWT:

You can gauge leadership from more than winning or losing. The majority of folks here give a lot a weight to this one factor. It is a mistake. Do you remember Farve in Atlanta? Carr has handled himself well in adverse circumstances.

Regarding Young, he is a very good player with a poor throwing motion. His durability is unknown. Let's give him a lot of pressure and 30 to 40 whacks and see what you get. Young will not be able to run, for long, in the NFL. If he does so, he will follow Vick to the trash heap.

What we have here is Texas folks getting exciting about a guy from Texas. It's a common mistake from a state that thinks it created football.

The problem with the Texans is the o-line is offensive.

I would rather have a winner than a good leadership guy. Just my preference. I dont care how well carr has handled himself, i care how he has handled the team. 2-14...not good.

AGAIN. Mike vick is not on the trash heap. NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME last year, more playoff wins than eli manning, carson palmer, david carr, byron leftwich, drew brees, kyle boller, Chris Simms, Alex Smith, and Aaron Rodgers COMBINED.

I live in florida. Im excited about a good qb.

I agree, the offensive line is poor.

AustinJB
01-09-2006, 02:44 PM
SWT:

Regarding Young, he is a very good player with a poor throwing motion. His durability is unknown. Let's give him a lot of pressure and 30 to 40 whacks and see what you get. Young will not be able to run, for long, in the NFL. If he does so, he will follow Vick to the trash heap.

What we have here is Texas folks getting exciting about a guy from Texas. It's a common mistake from a state that thinks it created football.

The problem with the Texans is the o-line is offensive.

The poor throwing motion argument is getting ridiculous. That's just a product of over-analyzing by scouts. Favre still doesn't have a great throwing motion. Many other good QBs don't. Did everyone forget that David Carr had a poor motion when the Texans were considering drafting him out of college? They said that they felt like they could help him overcome it. I think he has, true it hasn't translated into success but that is a different argument altogether.

The Texans fixing the O-line is a priority...but VY is more mobile than Carr and likely able to escape the pocket better even if the line remains horrible.

HoustonFrog
01-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Have you ever heard of an early out, where the players come out and work before practice?
AND QBs and how many times they throw the football each week is monitored.
AND how do you know he does not watch extra film, are you kidding me, how do you know that.
Players should come out and Stick up for him that would make you feel better, who has sticked up for anybody give me a quote,

Do you think guys go around taking turns sticking up for each other?
I am tired you have nothing with to back it up.:BananaWav

What do you mean?It has been a known fact that all season he refused to work with receivers after practice or watch extra film. He even responded to it by saying that he choses to spend time with his family and studies film at home. I'll leave that up to interpretation. Sorry that I don't kiss his tail or make excuses for a guy who has done nothing. It isn't all his fault but he sure hasn't shown that it would be different. Truthfully, if a teammate was getting crucified in the media and around town I'd come to his defense and not say "he is not the leader" ala McKinney. Waving goodbye back.

AustinJB
01-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Austin:

Okay. VY is more mobile. Let's say he is only sacked 40 times a year........

...do you get the point....

He still goes to the Vick hospital.

Constant pressure and whacks on the head can affect how you play.

SWT....Vick has been way overrated from the day he came in the league. I said three years ago, on this website, his durability is questionable.

You do realize that VY is 6/5 and 230 lbs right? (That's before conditioning in the pros) That's 5" taller than Vick and 20 lbs heavier, and almost just as fast. That's also 2" taller than Carr and 10 lbs heavier. If Carr can take it, I'm sure VY can too.

z0rpAn
01-09-2006, 03:09 PM

Thank You "<10 posts". I would have called you David Carr or David's wife, but HoustonFrog beat me to it. Please remind me how being a good family man is being a good in-game leader.

Having the top pick in the NFL and how Mr. McNair is looking over things now I have sense to believe there is a good chance that we will be taking Young. There has been no word about the extent of the injury Carr suffered in the last game, though I'm assuming its minor since he played out the rest of the first half after the hit. Looking outward instead of inward, I would much rather play against a David Carr than a could be superstar Vince Young. The QB position is the MOST important on the field and they can upgrade what we have seen as a mediocre QB, pass up good, and grab a possibly great quaterback. I think both of these guys are going to be GREAT QBs in the future, but I would rather us draft Young and trade one of our 2 QBs to a NFC team. It would be ridiculous letting the Titans get a guy like this and sure don't want to see a picture with Young standing side-by-side with Bud Adams on draft day for years to come.

swtbound07
01-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Austin:

Okay. VY is more mobile. Let's say he is only sacked 40 times a year........

...do you get the point....

He still goes to the Vick hospital.

Constant pressure and whacks on the head can affect how you play.

SWT....Vick has been way overrated from the day he came in the league. I said three years ago, on this website, his durability is questionable.

again i say....not overrated. 3 probowls, 2 sucessfull playoff runs. Everyones durability is questionable, its the freaking nfl.

bullman
01-09-2006, 03:45 PM
Thank You "<10 posts". I would have called you David Carr or David's wife, but HoustonFrog beat me to it. Please remind me how being a good family man is being a good in-game leader.

Having the top pick in the NFL and how Mr. McNair is looking over things now I have sense to believe there is a good chance that we will be taking Young. There has been no word about the extent of the injury Carr suffered in the last game, though I'm assuming its minor since he played out the rest of the first half after the hit. Looking outward instead of inward, I would much rather play against a David Carr than a could be superstar Vince Young. The QB position is the MOST important on the field and they can upgrade what we have seen as a mediocre QB, pass up good, and grab a possibly great quaterback. I think both of these guys are going to be GREAT QBs in the future, but I would rather us draft Young and trade one of our 2 QBs to a NFC team. It would be ridiculous letting the Titans get a guy like this and sure don't want to see a picture with Young standing side-by-side with Bud Adams on draft day for years to come.
You must be a vy lover, David Carr is the Troy Aikman, with the hiring of Gary Kubiak he will reach that plateau wheter you like it or not, David car is my friend, and I know he will do well this season, David Carr is not the only person on the team, get over it Carr is here to stay, and VY will not be coming here, so keep dreaming!!!!!!!!!!!!:yahoo:

HoustonFrog
01-09-2006, 04:48 PM
You must be a vy lover, David Carr is the Troy Aikman, with the hiring of Gary Kubiak he will reach that plateau wheter you like it or not, David car is my friend, and I know he will do well this season, David Carr is not the only person on the team, get over it Carr is here to stay, and VY will not be coming here, so keep dreaming!!!!!!!!!!!!:yahoo:

David, go throw some passes in the back yard and stay away from Clemen's house. Stop making up imaginary friends. Go get ready for a QB competition. You have 8 mill to earn:)