PDA

View Full Version : Smoke Screening Casserly??

El Tejano
01-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Has anyone ever entertained the thought that we are going to see some huge smoke screens if Young declares?? Especially since the Titans are picking at #3, I think so!!!!!

I am saying this because Casserly has told reporters we are picking up the contract for Carr. Don't be suprised when we do. It will be what is needed to make the drafting of Vince Young happen. By picking up Carr's extension, we now have the ability to trade Carr. There alot of teams that would love to give us anything for Carr as he spells an upgrade from their current QB situation. Let's take the Miami deal for example. We get a 2nd rounder and ricky williams. It makes sense. Ricky is scheduled to make a very low amount this year, and is now willing to share the load with another RB these days. It gives us the big bodied RB we were looking for and that extra pick in the 2nd to use on even another OL after we draft one with the high second we already have.

Jack Bauer
01-06-2006, 12:36 PM
By picking up Carr's extension, we now have the ability to trade Carr.

I am not a capologist, so I am asking does this make cap sense? How much would Carr count against the cap if we picked up the rest of the contract and then traded him?

BigBull17
01-06-2006, 12:42 PM
It will be around 8 mil. If we do the option, Carr's bonus will prorate to a little over 2.5mil a year. If he is traded than we have to pay the whole thing at once, which becomes very costly. My numbers arent exact but their close.

tulexan
01-06-2006, 12:43 PM
We aren't going to sign him to trade him because we would have a huge cap hit. It will either be let him go and draft Vince Young or extend him and draft Reggie Bush. It looks like it will be extend him and draft Reggie Bush.

El Tejano
01-06-2006, 12:44 PM
I don't know either but man. We have to go with is with the understanding that we aren't going to win alot next year either. I am willing to take the season with losses as long as there is winning effort knowing we got a future ahead of us. What is the difference than what we experienced so far? However, the future would look bright.

Heck for what it's worth, start Tony B in Vince Young's rookie season. Afterall, if not for the great Tony Banks, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

dtran04
01-06-2006, 12:46 PM
This morning everyone called in 610 talking about trading Carr. John and Lance ended up getting very aggravated at everyone saying that.

GP
01-06-2006, 12:48 PM
We are in a bind either way.

Stay with Carr and pay him, or sign him and trade him AND STILL pay one way or the other.

There's no easy way to do this.

Yes, Carr is an upgrade for some NFL teams. I agree. Just not sure that we can replace Carr so easily with Young or Leinart. Leinart is the second-coming of Carr in my opinion, and Young is a gamble that will either pay off or plunge us into further oblivion.

I say we ride out the Carr situation for at least one more year with a re-structured contract that is incentive laden (I believe that is also what Kaiser Toro has been saying) and see what he can do behind better coaching and hopefully a TRUE upgrade at o line.

El Tejano
01-06-2006, 12:48 PM
We aren't going to sign him to trade him because we would have a huge cap hit. It will either be let him go and draft Vince Young or extend him and draft Reggie Bush. It looks like it will be extend him and draft Reggie Bush.

Either way, it is still a good deal for us. I just hate that The Titans could get him.

Vinny
01-06-2006, 12:50 PM
This morning everyone called in 610 talking about trading Carr. John and Lance ended up getting very aggravated at everyone saying that. All year long Lance was telling everyone Carr could fetch a 1st round pick based on what scouts and "insiders" tell him and today he was backtracking like crazy saying that Carr couldn't get a one in a trade...I like Lance but he looks bad on this one flip-flopping like this.

tulexan
01-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Lance and Richard Justice are probably good friends

GP
01-06-2006, 12:54 PM
The Titans are in the best position of all, if you ask me.

Young wouldn't mind going there.

Titans will sit back and let Texans sweat out this whole deal, and they'll still come out smelling like a rose. As always. Probably trading up to No. 1 to grab Vince. You'll see Titans QB McNair hugging Young on draft day, and then you'll see Vince on the sideline in powder blue dutifully holding the clipboard and watching the last season of McNair, the farewell tour, and Young will be championed as the successor to the throne, blah-blah-blah...you get the drift.

It's so frustrating. Those guys have a four-leaf clover stuck up their rear.

Siants will get Bush.

Jets get Leinart.

We get 'Brick.

And that's how it plays out.

SESupergenius
01-06-2006, 12:56 PM
If you can go from 7-9 to 2-14, then you assuredly can go from 2-14 to 8-8. Fans are getting way to silly around here to make their cases.

tulexan
01-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Dolphins went from 4-12 to 9-7. Coaching makes a huge difference.

bckey
01-06-2006, 12:58 PM
It will be kind of funny if both Bush and Young decide to stay another year. The number 1 pick sure wouldn't look as good then.

Jack Bauer
01-06-2006, 12:59 PM
It will be kind of funny if both Bush and Young decide to stay another year. The number 1 pick sure wouldn't look as good then.

You are right, but Bush is definitely coming out!

GP
01-06-2006, 01:01 PM
They are both coming out (for the draft, that is) and I'll tel you why:

Young is pee-o'd about the Heisman thang, and now is his chance to exact immediate revenge by going No. 1 over Bush in the draft.

The competition didn't stop after Wed. night. I'll bet on that.

Those two guys are about to be the center of the HOTTEST pre-draft debate this nation has ever seen.

run-david-run
01-06-2006, 01:02 PM
All year long Lance was telling everyone Carr could fetch a 1st round pick based on what scouts and "insiders" tell him and today he was backtracking like crazy saying that Carr couldn't get a one in a trade...I like Lance but he looks bad on this one flip-flopping like this.
hey vinny, do you mind if i use your avatar?

feebleminded
01-06-2006, 03:35 PM
It will be around 8 mil. If we do the option, Carr's bonus will prorate to a little over 2.5mil a year. If he is traded than we have to pay the whole thing at once, which becomes very costly. My numbers arent exact but their close.

I am sure I am missing something here, but if Carr decides to void his contract in the beginning of Feb and the Texans have 2 weeks to pick up the option, doesnt that leave some time in there for the FO to enter into a trade where the other team actually exercises the option?

Are you guys talking about 8 million as the cap hit after the option is picked up or is that the remaining unammortized piece from the rookie contract?

Seems to me that except for the remaining proration from the rookie deal a trade could be done without there being a cap hit.

BTW I dont think we should trade him. Just confused on what everyone is thinking here.

profan
01-06-2006, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=gpshafer_1976]The Titans are in the best position of all, if you ask me.

Well, I don't see us trading #1 to the Titans. The way i see it, is we draft bush, the aints draft young, and the titans draft Leinart. Jeff Fisher is USC, Norm Chow was Leinart's OC last year and they will be reunited. or

Mack Brown gets Young another year, we get Bush, the saints then trade down with the titans and the titans take Leinart. Either way, I do not see the Titans getting Bush or Young.

We are in the best position because we control and can get who we want. The titans have to wait.

nunusguy
01-06-2006, 04:17 PM
The Titans are in the best position of all, if you ask me.

Young wouldn't mind going there.

Titans will sit back and let Texans sweat out this whole deal, and they'll still come out smelling like a rose. As always. Probably trading up to No. 1 to grab Vince. You'll see Titans QB McNair hugging Young on draft day, and then you'll see Vince on the sideline in powder blue dutifully holding the clipboard and watching the last season of McNair, the farewell tour, and Young will be championed as the successor to the throne, blah-blah-blah...you get the drift.

It's so frustrating. Those guys have a four-leaf clover stuck up their rear.

Siants will get Bush.

Jets get Leinart.

We get 'Brick.

And that's how it plays out.
At this time, I don't know who we will end up with but I bet for
all practical purposes we won't be on the clock because
before the Draft starts we will either have traded our pick to another team or selected him, worked out the terms of the contract, and our selection will be no mystery but a mere formality as the Commish announces the Texans pick.

outofhnd
01-06-2006, 07:48 PM
I think Young will stay to get a heisman, a 2nd nat'l title, the all time yardage record at UT, the absolute #1 pick in the 07 draft and probably with the new NFL - Union salary cap system in place. the largest deal ever... where he will end up in Arizona next year...

Tulip
01-06-2006, 07:52 PM
where he will end up in Arizona next year... And you just illustrated a big reason why he's coming out. If he comes out now, he could end up with the Texans or the Titans. If he doesn't, he has no clue who is going to be picking early. It could be one of the draft blackholes.