PDA

View Full Version : Casserly on 610 radio this morning

Sportsfan
01-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Anyone catch what Casserly had to say on 610 this morning?
I got to work before he came on and missed it.

Thanks

Johnny Utah
01-06-2006, 12:52 PM
He didn't say much since he can't comment on Bush or Young yet because they are juniors. He mentioned how the interview process goes for the coachs. The highlight came when a caller called in and made a threat to Casserly. He said,

What is the fastest way to get run out of Texas with a noose around your neck? Don't draft Vince Young and you'll find out.

Followed by a uncomfortable silent pause. :)

cuppacoffee
01-06-2006, 12:57 PM
He didn't say much since he can't comment on Bush or Young yet because they are juniors. He mentioned how the interview process goes for the coachs. The highlight came when a caller called in a made a threat to Casserly. He said,

What is the fastest way to get run out of town with a noose around your neck? Don't draft Vince Young and you'll find out.

I thought that the calls have a few seconds delay built in just to screen out this type of call. Not cool...:penalty:

TexansFight
01-06-2006, 01:00 PM
The highlight came when a caller called in a made a threat to Casserly. He said,

What is the fastest way to get run out of town with a noose around your neck? Don't draft Vince Young and you'll find out.

That is awesome. Casserly and the whole Texans brass needs to know that Houston wants its beloved son to play for the hometown team. Casserly's inclination is to stick by his bust of a pick but that is wrong for the Texans. I want them to know that if they don't they will have an extremely pissed off fan base.

HoustonFrog
01-06-2006, 01:00 PM
I thought that the calls have a few seconds delay built in just to screen out this type of call. Not cool...:penalty:

I'm sure Charlie wasn't happy but he never seems happy. Does anyone else think he is the surliest interview ever? Just never has sat well with me.

chuckm
01-06-2006, 01:01 PM
That is awesome. Casserly and the whole Texans brass needs to know that Houston wants its beloved son to play for the hometown team. Casserly's inclination is to stick by his bust of a pick but that is wrong for the Texans. I want them to know that if they don't they will have an extremely pissed off fan base.

yea awesome ..... I wonder who dialed the phone for that mo ron?

tulexan
01-06-2006, 01:02 PM
I heard clips of it, but to me it sounds like they are laying the ground work for the case against Vince Young. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Casserly say something to the extent of you have to look at the entire body of work, not just one game.

Buffi2
01-06-2006, 01:05 PM
I'm sure Charlie wasn't happy but he never seems happy. Does anyone else think he is the surliest interview ever? Just never has sat well with me.
I've always thought he was patronizingly haughty - but maybe I view him through I don't like Casserly glasses.:)

Runner
01-06-2006, 01:06 PM
The highlight came when a caller called in a made a threat to Casserly. He said,

What a constructive, well thought out question and answer! I'm sure the guy spent a lot of time on hold waiting to make that intriguing point.

If I was sold on Vince Young, I'd have to re-evaluate my decision and decision making process. If I was in agreement with such a brutish lout, I would be concerned.

Then I'd realize I could probably find ignorance on any facet of the first pick debate and ignore the ignoramus.

HoustonFrog
01-06-2006, 01:16 PM
I've always thought he was patronizingly haughty - but maybe I view him through I don't like Casserly glasses.:)

I always thought it and THEN started hatin on his drafting and moves. He just seems like a jerk.

Runner
01-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Just to be safe, how many other Longhorns and/or Houstonians are in the draft? Are there enough so that we can use all our picks on them? There are probably too many though. Hmmmm...

Why don't we create our own draft board with only Longhorns and/or Aggies and/or Houstonians on it, and from that subset of players make selections based on Texan need and player talent. Would that satisfy the lynching mob?
:sarcasm:

Txn_in_FL
01-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Yeah, awesome. :rolleyes:

The retard that makes that sort of statement about a draft pick is the same one that will ***** and moan and call for Young to be run out of town the first time he screws up a game. I'm suprised he had enough brain power to dial the phone.

BigBull17
01-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Its people like him that make us all look stupid. I think Cass should have been shown the way out but the first one to leave needs to be the jack *** caller. Get a life.

Honoring Earl 34
01-06-2006, 01:26 PM
:redtowel: I hate that folks are making threats . I like Vince he's a home grown product who shined on the biggest stage in football outside the Super Bowl but its no reason to threaten CC .

I think if all the powers that be decide to keep Carr and draft Bush or trade the pick then so be it ... the sun will rise in the morning . We have seen real terrorism before lets keep it out of our little diversion .

dtran04
01-06-2006, 02:14 PM
You know what I was thinking? If I am Jerry Jones, I am licking my chops. I would trade for David Carr, and then see Carr rip apart the Texan defense when we play them. To put in a good measure, Roy Williams is gonna horse collar our "once in a lifetime talent QB" rendering his scrambling ability useless.

Then all the so called fans will chastise the Texans for not keeping Carr and drafting Bush. It's a neverending battle. I would absolutely HATE to be the GM of the Texans right now. The only worse situation is the Lions, thats it.

Disclaimer: I am not wishing that those statements above happen. But it would quiet the crazy callers calling in 610.

the wonger need food
01-06-2006, 02:17 PM
He didn't say much since he can't comment on Bush or Young yet because they are juniors. He mentioned how the interview process goes for the coachs. The highlight came when a caller called in and made a threat to Casserly. He said,

What is the fastest way to get run out of Texas with a noose around your neck? Don't draft Vince Young and you'll find out.

The caller clearly stated before and after the comment that it was a joke.

Fiddy
01-06-2006, 02:18 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Casserly say something to the extent of you have to look at the entire body of work, not just one game. I didnt hear it, but if he did that would mean he is grading Young on a season where he led the nation in passer effiecency, was clutch in big games and just simply dominant...

Htown34s
01-06-2006, 02:21 PM
That jerk is probably the same guy who threw a beer on Carr's wife.

I'm a big "draft VY" guy, but I can't say how much I respect David Carr and his family. That guy has some nads to take the pounding that he has.

Of course, that call just reinforces my point that McNair could ruin his reputation by passing on VY. If he takes them and he is a bust, then the public can never be upset about not getting their pick again. But if we don't take him and he is a star, it will hang over McNair's head for a long time...

Double Barrel
01-06-2006, 02:22 PM
I'd venture that most GMs are a surly and dry bunch. It's the nature of the beast. These guys are hired for front office duties, not public relations. He only does the show because it's in his contract.

I've never gotten that much information from GM interviews. They never let the cat out of the bag, and always hold their cards close to their vests. Not that I blame them or anything.

Kinda' silly about the "noose around your neck" comment. Have a take and don't suck should not be just for The Jungle. Local radio could use a bit of standards, too.

Fiddy
01-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Zero of his throws looked liked NFL type throws Obviously you are not a scout. The guy has a gun it's just he doesnt show it off every throw because, unlike your boy Carr, VY knows something called touch. But when he has too, he can just throw a laser.

Dennis007
01-06-2006, 02:28 PM
This is easy

If Vince comes out-
Take Vince, trade Carr for more picks and get a better O-line
Vince is mobile and can throw, I think Carr has proven he is not a franchise player. I think Vince, Andre Johnson, Gaffney and Davis as a RB would be more exciting with more promise than Bush and Carr.
:redtowel:

If Vince does not come out-
Then proceed with picking up Carr's option and draft Bush.

nunusguy
01-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Unless Reeves has got some kind of "quid pro quo" thing going on with Casserly ( and I don't think for a minute that that kind of arrangement exists), it says to me that Reeves gave the old man the valid endorsement on his performance that Capers didn't get ? Even though you obviously don't like Casserly, does Reeves opinion not count for anything ?

Runner
01-06-2006, 02:37 PM

Great! I guess that means we grade all of the available talent and make our pick on ability, needs, salary cap and such. Young would still be a contender and might even be the best pick, but at least it wouldn't be because he was from Houston.

That's so - professional.

BREAZE
01-06-2006, 02:46 PM
I heard clips of it, but to me it sounds like they are laying the ground work for the case against Vince Young. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Casserly say something to the extent of you have to look at the entire body of work, not just one game.

Umm, that sounds more like a case for VY. Forget this year's Rose Bowl, look what he did to Ohio State, look what he did in the OK-State game, look at last year's Rose bowl...all comebacks in some big stage games. That's a pretty good body of work so how is that a case against him?

ArlingtonTexan
01-06-2006, 03:11 PM
The noose statement was cast about three times by the caller as a JOKE,

It was not funny and poorly delivered. The silence was because of those two facts, not because of any "threat." That was the worst part of the show, not the best.

BTW, for Charlie he gave more actual information than he normally does in regards to the coaching candidates, the process they are in and Davis Carr's extension pick-up.

Johnny Utah
01-06-2006, 03:18 PM

Well, before the comment he said, "Hey Charlie I've got a riddle for ya"

Afterward he said he was just kidding. But still, it was too late and I'm sure eveyones jaw was on the floor. Including mine. I mean saying your going to string up the GM for a hanging if he doesn't draft Young is a pretty bold statement.

ArlingtonTexan
01-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Well, before the comment he said, "Hey Charlie I've got a riddle for ya"

Afterward he said he was just kidding. But still, it was too late and I'm sure eveyones jaw was on the floor. Including mine.

The only reason I stopped was because the guy was dumb enough to call with that horrible attempt at "HUMOR" If not for that I would, I would just laughed AT the guy. There was nothing productive for Lance, John or Charlie to say. IMO, that's why you had the silence.

we had a different reaction to hearing the same thing, I will just leave it there.

Double Barrel
01-06-2006, 03:28 PM
Local sports-talk radio is not the best and brightest Houston has to offer. They barely screen callers, and I've found that your average forum poster has better takes than most callers. Don't even get me started on some of our local sports radio hosts. Not sure what qualifications, if any, are required for those jobs.

Nighthawk
01-06-2006, 03:34 PM
Speak for yourself............
And you would have one Pissed off California kid as well...........
They said last night on "Outside the Lines" that Bush is the smart pick.

Yeah, the newspaper guy from Dallas said that. I figured he was laughing up his shirtsleeve.

LCOOL
01-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Local sports-talk radio is not the best and brightest Houston has to offer. They barely screen callers, and I've found that your average forum poster has better takes than most callers. Don't even get me started on some of our local sports radio hosts. Not sure what qualifications, if any, are required for those jobs.
Casserly will trade Carr for ferrotte, that is the rumor!

El Tejano
01-06-2006, 03:59 PM
Casserly will trade Carr for ferrotte, that is the rumor!

And that would not be a bad trade. I could stand a year of Ferrote as long as I know Young is coming soon. Besides we would have the running game to help Ferrote.

Hookem Horns
01-06-2006, 04:05 PM
I didnt hear it, but if he did that would mean he is grading Young on a season where he led the nation in passer effiecency, was clutch in big games and just simply dominant...

Keep in mind that this is the same guy (Casserly) who only looked at 4 game films on P Bust ...errr I mean Buch. The Rose Bowl is probably the only game he has seen on VY.

Fiddy
01-06-2006, 11:15 PM
Obviously you have not been watching Carr the last couple of weeks. Or for that mater last year. Or for that mater when he was in college, dont bring up touch bro he went #1 for a reason. I've seen Carr play. I've seen him throw mean hitch routes for an entire season. I've seen him single handly not give his team a shot to win. I've seen him make the O-line look horrible by having zero pocket presence, running outside the pocket when all he has to do is step up so he gets sacked. I've seen a few good throws and about 1 good game. I've seen people say he had a great game when he only throws for 170 yards.

He has touch??? There were more than a couple times last year when he would try a fade route on the 5 yard line to AJ or someone and almost hit the CBs in the back of the head with the ball because he didnt get any air under it. You dont need touch to tear up the WAC, you need it in the NFL.

Tim Couch was number one for a reason, too...

Kaiser Toro
01-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Carr does not exhibit touch as I am used to seeing from other QB's. Is that subjective, yes. And this is coming from someone who has been defending DC for the last two days.

Runner
01-06-2006, 11:21 PM
Keep in mind that this is the same guy (Casserly) who only looked at 4 game films on P Bust ...errr I mean Buch. The Rose Bowl is probably the only game he has seen on VY.

Well, that one game was enough to flip this from a draft Bush board to a draft Young board.

dalemurphy
01-06-2006, 11:21 PM
I'm not sure why fans think that Vince Young's talents won't translate to the NFL and yet they think that Reggie Bush, bouncing to the sideline every play, with be successful in the NFL.

Personally, I want the pick traded. But, if we stay at #1, taking anybody other than VYoung doesn't make sense- No way would I want Bush or Leinart. And, anyone else could be had with a trade down.

Hervoyel
01-06-2006, 11:25 PM

That is awesome?

I swear sometimes it's like a lot of you guys are channeling crazy dead people or something.

Coach C.
01-06-2006, 11:26 PM
Fiddy what the hell are you talking about. You have seen Carr single handly lose a game. In what way did he do tha? Are you just going to ignore last season, or ignore the numbers he put up this season. I am just asking. If you like I will post the stats if you dont remember them. Come on man if you think that Carr was the reason we lost games you obviously have not been watching games. I will be the first to acknowledge Carr's faults, but you have not listed one of them.

LCOOL
01-06-2006, 11:37 PM
Fiddy what the hell are you talking about. You have seen Carr single handly lose a game. In what way did he do tha? Are you just going to ignore last season, or ignore the numbers he put up this season. I am just asking. If you like I will post the stats if you dont remember them. Come on man if you think that Carr was the reason we lost games you obviously have not been watching games. I will be the first to acknowledge Carr's faults, but you have not listed one of them.
Coach CAll I have to say is the quarterback is the leader of the team, and yeah Carr may at times some decent snaps, he dosen't show up when the team needs him, heaven forbid if the texan's were to get behind, because wouldn't be able to put togather a decent drive. John Mclaine on 610 today said that VY may not be the greatest passer and rusher, but he is an awesome leader.Car is not a good leader period, if he was the Texan's would better than 2-14!

Fiddy
01-06-2006, 11:40 PM
Fiddy what the hell are you talking about. You have seen Carr single handly lose a game. In what way did he do tha? Are you just going to ignore last season, or ignore the numbers he put up this season. I am just asking. If you like I will post the stats if you dont remember them. Come on man if you think that Carr was the reason we lost games you obviously have not been watching games. I will be the first to acknowledge Carr's faults, but you have not listed one of them. See, Kansas City Chiefs game. That was some of the worst QB play I've seen in awhile. He only threw for one INT and there were 2 stupid plays by AJ but I still get queezy over that game. The only reason the defense got lit up for as much as they did was because they were always on the field.

I didnt ignore last season but dont talk to me about his completion percentage or anything like that because all he did was throw hitch routes with a quick slant mixed in there every now and then.

tulexan
01-06-2006, 11:43 PM
Giving up 10 points in the last 35 seconds to the Rams
Missing a field goal against the Titans
Missing a field goal against the Niners
Giving up a last minute drive to Kyle Boller that lead to a game winning field goal

Tell me how Carr's leadership caused us to lose those games?

Tulip
01-06-2006, 11:45 PM
There's something inherently off about the idea of someone being "allowed" to be a leader.

Coach C.
LCOOL if you quote McClain that brings down the crediblility of your post. Other than that Carr has led comebacks the main one that comes to mind is Minnesota, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Baltimore, and Cleveland. Those come to mind. Check them he led us back late in the game, until someone screwed it up.

dirty steve

i'll say it again, i don't think drafting young is the right thing for this franchise right now. i would really like to know the actual percentage of the fan base that thinks vincent young is the right thing to do.

Coach C.
01-06-2006, 11:48 PM
See, Kansas City Chiefs game. That was some of the worst QB play I've seen in awhile. He only threw for one INT and there were 2 stupid plays by AJ but I still get queezy over that game. The only reason the defense got lit up for as much as they did was because they were always on the field.

I didnt ignore last season but dont talk to me about his completion percentage or anything like that because all he did was throw hitch routes with a quick slant mixed in there every now and then.

And what did your vaunted Vince Young do during the Rose Bowl. You dont put up 3500+ yards throwing hitch routes.

tulexan
01-06-2006, 11:49 PM
There's something inherently off in the idea of someone being "allowed" to be a leader.

This is coming from the coaching staff that had one audible in their playbook and called only hitch passes for an entire game.

run-david-run
01-06-2006, 11:53 PM
Just to be safe, how many other Longhorns and/or Houstonians are in the draft? Are there enough so that we can use all our picks on them? There are probably too many though. Hmmmm...

Why don't we create our own draft board with only Longhorns and/or Aggies and/or Houstonians on it, and from that subset of players make selections based on Texan need and player talent. Would that satisfy the lynching mob?
:sarcasm:
But, but, but, but... what about Reggie? He is a "gamechanger" and "playmaker", but, but,but, he aint no Longhorn and he from California...

run-david-run
01-06-2006, 11:57 PM
That jerk is probably the same guy who threw a beer on Carr's wife.

I'm a big "draft VY" guy, but I can't say how much I respect David Carr and his family. That guy has some nads to take the pounding that he has.

Of course, that call just reinforces my point that McNair could ruin his reputation by passing on VY. If he takes them and he is a bust, then the public can never be upset about not getting their pick again. But if we don't take him and he is a star, it will hang over McNair's head for a long time...
Yeah, the recepi to success, draft two QB's number one overall within 5 years!!! But, as long as McNair's reputation is in danger, watch out!!! Guess what, if VY goes on to be a Pro-Bowler, it wont matter as long as we win. That is the only thing that matters. Clinton Portis was passed over and we took Gaffm is McNair gonna be lynched for that one?

Fiddy
01-06-2006, 11:58 PM
And what did your vaunted Vince Young do during the Rose Bowl. Huh????

You dont put up 3500+ yards throwing hitch routes. You do put up less that 2500 the next year doing it. And do you know what Couch, Harrington and Carr all have in common??? They all had a 3000+ passing yardage season in their 3rd year and followed it up with a stinker. A "senior slump"???

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/133260
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302199

tulexan
01-06-2006, 11:59 PM
Clinton Portis didn't go to University of Texas, so nobody cares.

Fiddy
01-07-2006, 12:01 AM
Clinton Portis didn't go to University of Texas, so nobody cares. But he did go to "The U" which every team makes an exception for... ;)

tulexan
01-07-2006, 12:02 AM
True he did go to NFL U, but if Clinton went to University of Texas I can guarantee that the outcry would have been bigger.

Coach C.
01-07-2006, 12:04 AM
Huge difference between 3000 and 3500. Second are you honestly trying to say that it is Carr calling the hitch routes.

Kaiser Toro
01-07-2006, 12:05 AM
Do you have your verdict? Yes. This thread is guilty of how it got so far off topic so fast. Good night dead thread.

Fiddy
01-07-2006, 12:10 AM
Huge difference between 3000 and 3500. Second are you honestly trying to say that it is Carr calling the hitch routes. Yes and no. What you are not considering is how many times Harrington and Couch were pulled. Everyone know that Harrington always finds himself on the bench because he stinks it up so he isnt on the field to get the attempts to get anything higher than something around 3,000. I bet Harrington if Harrington was never pulled, like Carr, he'd get his yardage more comparable to Carr. Not sure about Couch, cant remember, but I think he was benched quite a few times too while he was playing, too.

He didnt call them all but if you remember correctly in the Arizona game when he called the plays himself, he stuck with the hitches and threw a number of them in the first half.

Coach C.
01-07-2006, 12:21 AM
First, We won the Arizona game he saw a weakness and called to exploit it. He also audibled to runs to keep the guys honest. Second, Carr was not pulled because he performed as well as he could in the situations he was put in. Third, he had a better qb rating than these guys.

bdiddy
01-07-2006, 12:27 AM
Carr is not the problem. Has he failed to make significant progress to date? Yes, but he has been given subpar coaching. When we get Kubiak, Carr will be exposed to first class offensive/quarterback coaching. Carr will pass for 3,000 yards and DD/Bush will rush for 1,800.

Fiddy
01-07-2006, 12:43 AM
First, We won the Arizona game he saw a weakness and called to exploit it. He also audibled to runs to keep the guys honest. Second, Carr was not pulled because he performed as well as he could in the situations he was put in. Third, he had a better qb rating than these guys.1) The running game won the Arizona game for us.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay/NFL_20051218_ARI@HOU
Carr's pass plays: ***bolded passes are for sure hitches, screens, etc.
1-10-HOU29 (13:04) D.Carr pass to A.Johnson ran ob at HST 38 for 9 yards (J.Darling). (12 yards after catch.)
1-10-HOU42 (12:19) D.Carr pass to A.Johnson ran ob at HST 47 for 5 yards (D.Macklin). (6 yards after catch.)
3-1-ARI49 (11:16) D.Carr pass to M.Rivers to ARZ 49 for no gain (A.Rolle). (No yards after catch.)
2-3-ARI28 (1:53) D.Carr pass to A.Johnson ran ob at ARZ 23 for 5 yards (D.Macklin). (7 yards after catch.)
1-10-HOU37 (10:11) D.Carr pass to D.Morgan ran ob at HST 46 for 9 yards (D.Macklin). (4 yards after catch.)
1-10-ARI49 (8:55) D.Carr pass to J.Gaffney to ARZ 43 for 6 yards (A.Rolle). (No yards after catch.)
2-4-ARI43 (8:18) D.Carr pass to A.Johnson pushed ob at ARZ 38 for 5 yards (L.Reid).
3-6-ARI34 (6:29) D.Carr pass to V.Morency to ARZ 25 for 9 yards (J.Darling; R.Griffith). (6 yards after catch.)
2-1-ARI36 (4:18) D.Carr pass incomplete to C.Bradford.
3-1-ARI36 (4:13) D.Carr pass to A.Johnson to ARZ 29 for 7 yards (D.Macklin). (2 yards after catch.)
1-10-ARI29 (3:45) D.Carr pass incomplete to C.Bradford.
2-10-ARI29 (3:39) D.Carr pass to C.Bradford to ARZ 28 for 1 yard (Q.Harris).
PENALTY on ARZ-O.Huff, Unnecessary Roughness, 14 yards, enforced at ARZ 28. (No yards after catch.)
1-10-ARI14 (3:17) D.Carr pass to J.Gaffney to ARZ 8 for 6 yards (D.Macklin). (No yards after catch.)
3-4-ARI8 (2:00) D.Carr pass to J.Gaffney ran ob at ARZ 3 for 5 yards (A.Rolle). (No yards after catch.)

2 minute warning
1-10-ARI38 (1:18) D.Carr pass to M.Rivers ran ob at ARZ 33 for 5 yards (K.Dansby).
2-5-ARI33 (1:13) D.Carr pass to J.Wells to ARZ 22 for 11 yards (K.Dansby). (8 yards after catch.)
2-7-ARI19 (:45) D.Carr pass to C.Bradford to ARZ 8 for 11 yards (D.Macklin). (1 yard after catch.)
1-8-ARI8 (:28) D.Carr pass incomplete.
2-8-ARI8 (:28) D.Carr pass to C.Bradford to ARZ 9 for -1 yards (A.Rolle, L.Reid).
3-9-ARI9 (:17) D.Carr pass incomplete to A.Johnson.

So 9 out of 14 first half completions were hitches, and another 2 of them were dump downs to the RB, and nothing was longer than 11 yards. That is exploiting a weakness???

When Carr exploits a weakness, we throw hitches. When other teams exploit a weakness, they go deep.

2) This is my feeling on why Carr was never pulled, just my feeling, I'm not gonna argue it because I've done it before: Carr was never pulled because the Texans saw what pulling Harrington did. It turned the fan base against him, they didnt want that to happen to Carr so they kept him in so a backup couldnt out-perform him and start a QB controversey. McNair loves Carr, why would he want to tell the coaches to bench him???

3) If you remember correctly, everyone was calling for Palmer’s head because he was very conservative. It’s easier to have a higher rating when you are not in the position to make more mistakes.

edo783
01-07-2006, 01:49 AM

Interesting revision of history. He threw for over 3,500 yards last year of which 47 passes were over 20 yards in completion, his completion percentage and passer rating were better than Tom Brady's. Now if you had said that about this year...then ya, that's pretty much it. He had only 18 passes of 20 yards, but that was pretty much how our CRACK coaching staff layed out the game plan.

Fiddy
01-07-2006, 01:55 AM
Interesting revision of history. He threw for over 3,500 yards last year of which 47 passes were over 20 yards in completion, his completion percentage and passer rating were better than Tom Brady's. Now if you had said that about this year...then ya, that's pretty much it. He had only 18 passes of 20 yards, but that was pretty much how our CRACK coaching staff layed out the game plan. Yeah, now that I read it, it sounds funny. He did go deeper a year ago. That statement was meant for this year.

LCOOL
01-07-2006, 08:29 AM
LCOOL if you quote McClain that brings down the crediblility of your post. Other than that Carr has led comebacks the main one that comes to mind is Minnesota, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Baltimore, and Cleveland. Those come to mind. Check them he led us back late in the game, until someone screwed it up.
Coach C
If Carr led some many comebacks why were the Texan's 2-14, we cannot cover up his bad leadership skills.

Coach C.
01-07-2006, 09:09 AM
He does not play defense, he does not lead the defense, and he does not call defensive plays. Carr also is not a kicker even though he might want to start practicing the Flutie drop kick. Those would be just a couple of reasons. Next argument?

chuckm
01-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Next argument?

The only reason most of these people are arguing at all is because they want Vince and they're hoping beyond hope that if they argue enough it'll make a difference .... of course that's IMO

aj.
01-07-2006, 09:58 AM
I'm not a 'horn but I'm a Houstonian and the one thing that would absolutely kill me is for Vince to end up wearing a Tennessee uniform. Vince will win in the NFL.

the wonger need food
01-07-2006, 12:08 PM
Obviously you have not been watching Carr the last couple of weeks. Or for that mater last year. Or for that mater when he was in college, dont bring up touch bro he went #1 for a reason.

Obviously YOU haven't been watching Carr the last 25 games. He has regressed trememdously and is probably a worse QB than he was his rookie season.

He was a #1 pick because there weren't any other options in '02.

The good news is, he will be out of excuses after next season under Kubiak. There will plenty on this board that will apologize for him until the day he retires, but they will finally be in the minority.

tulexan
01-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Loud Noises!!!

edo783
01-07-2006, 12:44 PM
Loud Noises!!!

When I make THOSE noises, my wife complains.

New_Texans
01-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Huh????

You do put up less that 2500 the next year doing it. And do you know what Couch, Harrington and Carr all have in common??? They all had a 3000+ passing yardage season in their 3rd year and followed it up with a stinker. A "senior slump"???

Never compare Harrington with Carr...Harrington has a line, TE, and WRs and yet hes horrible.

HoustonFrog
01-07-2006, 01:22 PM
Obviously YOU haven't been watching Carr the last 25 games. He has regressed trememdously and is probably a worse QB than he was his rookie season.

He was a #1 pick because there weren't any other options in '02.

The good news is, he will be out of excuses after next season under Kubiak. There will plenty on this board that will apologize for him until the day he retires, but they will finally be in the minority.

I'm with you bro. The guy is dumb as rocks, makes rookie mistakes, is not the teams leader on the field or in the locker room and pretty much cares more about his hair and commercials. When ESPN spends half their Sunday night telecast laughing at you and waiting for your next interception because you haven't learned to look off receivers in Year #4, then you are a joke. People kissing up to this guy is just plain funny. Always excuses. As I said yesterday, Brady sure did well taking the place of an often sacked Bledsoe when he first started. some guys have presence and others are just bad QBs who whine.

DomDavis
01-07-2006, 01:29 PM
I'm with you bro. The guy is dumb as rocks, makes rookie mistakes, is not the teams leader on the field or in the locker room and pretty much cares more about his hair and commercials. When ESPN spends half their Sunday night telecast laughing at you and waiting for your next interception because you haven't learned to look off receivers in Year #4, then you are a joke. People kissing up to this guy is just plain funny. Always excuses. As I said yesterday, Brady sure did well taking the place of an often sacked Bledsoe when he first started. some guys have presence and others are just bad QBs who whine.

he's not the leader on the field or the locker room? I don't think you're in any position to comment on that unless you're actually on the field or in the lockerroom.

he cares more about hair and commercials? again, evidence please.

he doesn't look off receivers? again, evidence please. all quarterbacks have a few throws each year where they do that, even Peyton Manning. it doesn't show up on a consistent basis, as Carr's INT ratio isn't all that high. Also, comparing the line New England had to the Texans line is just hilarious... you're talking about a subpar offensive line compared to the worst line in the history of the sport. big difference.

some posters have common sense and others just whine and rant about things they're in no position to have any knowledge about.

Vinny
01-07-2006, 01:32 PM
he's not the leader on the field or the locker room? I don't think you're in any position to comment on that unless you're actually on the field or in the lockerroom.Most of us are aware of his lack of leadership skills. Where have you been for the last 4 years?

HoustonFrog
01-07-2006, 01:36 PM
he's not the leader on the field or the locker room? I don't think you're in any position to comment on that unless you're actually on the field or in the lockerroom.

he cares more about hair and commercials? again, evidence please.

he doesn't look off receivers? again, evidence please. all quarterbacks have a few throws each year where they do that, even Peyton Manning. it doesn't show up on a consistent basis, as Carr's INT ratio isn't all that high. Also, comparing the line New England had to the Texans line is just hilarious... you're talking about a subpar offensive line compared to the worst line in the history of the sport. big difference.

some posters have common sense and others just whine and rant about things they're in no position to have any knowledge about.

Know nothing about?What common sense is involved when you say that he looks off receivers?Did you not see the telecast or am I just arguing with a person who can't see anything but what comes through the Steel Blue glasses?I just happen to be a person who wants to see them win but I can do it without being closed minded about our players. This has been the guy's problem for the last two years. Just because he isn't picked off doesn't mean it doesn't cause problems. It causes him to hold the ball longer than he should. They basically pointed it out in at least three games I know of this year. The line was not great but Carr did not help. My point with NE was that how can one guy take sack after sack but somehow another guy can step up and not get hit?Some have it and others don't.

As for the leadership. It has been discussed all year. Some players have said that he doesn't stay after practice for extra work and that he doesn't watch film to improve. It has been discussed on every talk radio. In fact Palillo said as much yesterday that he is not looked at as the leader of the team yesterday. When have you seen other players come to his defense?

Maybe I'd lay off the hair and commercial comments if it wasn't for above and the fact that after every game is smiling at the cameras and playing with his hair.

beerlover
01-07-2006, 01:43 PM

this is what scares me, meanwhile the Texans pass on Vince Young :eek: VY silences his doubters/detractors with his talent, leadership and winning ways. oh well:brickwall what are we going to say then, we had no options?

Fiddy
01-07-2006, 02:29 PM
68 sacks!!!!!!!!!!!! Fired Palmer, got some lame duck coach to run our Offense.
A O-Line coach for that mater that told David to get the ball out as fast as he could so the sacks would not look like it is the Olines fault but the QBs, stupidity from a guy how should never be allowed to run an O again, but heck coaching does not mater right. See, you see all 68 sacks as fault of poor o-line play. I see a good amount of those sacks on bad recognition and pocket awareness by Carr. He sacks himself a lot...

Fiddy
01-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Never compare Harrington with Carr...Harrington has a line, TE, and WRs and yet hes horrible. Rogers and Roy Williams can't stay healty and Mike Williams was out of football for a year. How can he use those??? The only difference between Carr and Harrington is Harrington will get benched when he sucks it up and Carr won't.

tulexan
01-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Harrington actually had an offensive line. I believe he was one of the fewest sacked quarterbacks in the league. His problem is that he has a noodle for an arm and has no accuracy.