PDA

View Full Version : Why we should draft V.Young...Hometown Hero!

BattleRedTexan
01-05-2006, 09:38 PM
Okay, I will admit that this is my weakest arguement yet, but here it goes...

We should draft Vincent Young, because the city of Houston has a history of the "Hometown Hero" coming back to town to lead us to the promised land. Here are some very notable examples:

1) Roger Clemens returns to Houston to join the Houston Astros, and leads the Houston Astros to their first ever World Series.

2) Hakeem Olajuwan (played at the University of Houston) leads the Houston Rockets to their first ever NBA Championship in 1994. The next year, the Houston Rockets make a trade to bring Clyde Drexler (played high school basketball at Sterling in Houston, and played college basketball at the University of Houston) to the Houston Rockets. Olajuwan and Drexler team up to bring the Houston Rockets a second NBA Championship in 1995.

3) Last but not least... Vincent Young (of Madison High School in Houston) goes to UT and leads them to their first National Championship in 30 years. He is then drafted by the Houston Texans and goes on to lead the Texans to the first SuperBowl appearance and championship for a Houston NFL Football franchise. Yea, I know it is a stretch, but is fun to think about

beerlover
01-05-2006, 09:46 PM
Not so far fetched! what it means is that Texas produces the top talent in the nation and not just in football but basketball & baseball as well. I'll admit I can be a :homer: but there is nothing more important than giving our children a positive role model and something constructive to do in their spare time. Sports is just one of many but for young male adults a excellent outlet and a way out of trouble. I support youth leagues, Orwall and the like, trust me nothing is more satisfying than seeing the thrill of competition in their faces and awknowedgement they are recognized as revered among their peers. I'm not sure where I'm going with this I ususally just stick to evaulating College Football players but anytime we have the opportunity to bring one of our own home its a good thing. if he just so happens to have accended to the top of his profession and respected by his/her peers thats a cherry on the top. :)

tulexan
01-05-2006, 09:48 PM
2) Hakeem Olajuwan (played at the University of Houston) leads the Houston Rockets to their first ever NBA Championship in 1994. The next year, the Houston Rockets make a trade to bring Clyde Drexler (played high school basketball at Sterling in Houston, and played college basketball at the University of Houston) to the Houston Rockets. Olajuwan and Drexler team up to bring the Houston Rockets a second NBA Championship in 1995.

If Vince is like Hakeem, would that make Reggie Michael Jordan?

Tulip
01-05-2006, 09:53 PM
I'm all about the the touchy, fuzzy side of it all, so your post is welcome on my screen. :) I'm also all for the home guys, except Bucky Richardson (what hype!).

Another touchy, fuzzy: Vince Young helped his own coach change for the better. How many players can say that? He is such a great, young leader. So much so that he even cultivated a championship mentality in his very seasoned head coach. It's inspiring.

awtysst
01-05-2006, 09:54 PM
If Vince is like Hakeem, would that make Reggie Michael Jordan?

Who is Sam Bowie?

LongBignasty1
01-05-2006, 11:44 PM
d'brickashaw

Hookem Horns
01-05-2006, 11:52 PM
Who is Sam Bowie?

Matt Leinhart, or better yet, after his sore loser comments lastnight I would say he could be Ryan Leaf.

BattleRedTexan
01-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Even if V.Young has to wait a year to play, it is still worth drafting him # 1...

This has to be a difficult situation for the Texans to be in right now. I would have never guessed that having the # 1 pick was going to get this complicated!!!

BradK10
01-06-2006, 08:19 PM
Damn you're no fan of Houston sports...you can't even spell Olajuwon

outofhnd
01-06-2006, 08:27 PM
I don't think Vince is coming out read one of the 20 other Vince young threads most notable the carr vs young one i think where i cite my reasons...