PDA

View Full Version : Texans on Espn - Outside the Lines 11:40PM Thursday Evening

Paragon Blue
01-05-2006, 03:17 PM
They are going to talk about who the Texans should pick!!!! I will let you guys know what they say! ESPN news

Double Barrel
01-05-2006, 03:21 PM
lemme' guess, lemme' guess ;)

rmartin65
01-05-2006, 03:23 PM
They will say Bush, the media loves him.

Paragon Blue
01-05-2006, 03:23 PM
at 2:30 on Espn news

Paragon Blue
01-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Megan Manfull was on and she said that last nights game changes the way the draft goes if Vince comes out. She said that the Texans would draft him and sit him for a year behind David Carr and he would be the starter after that. Thoughts!!!!!

TexanSam
01-05-2006, 03:59 PM
Megan Manfull was on and she said that last nights game changes the way the draft goes if Vince comes out. She said that the Texans would draft him and sit him for a year behind David Carr and he would be the starter after that. Thoughts!!!!!

Won't happen. We'd be paying David Carr about $24 million for three years and if we drafted Vince Young, that would be around $50 million. Not gonna happen.

Grid
01-05-2006, 04:00 PM
The Media also said there is no way we would pass on Bush.

After many long hours examining and reexamining the facts.. i have come to one invariable conclusion.

The media dont know ****

Khari
01-05-2006, 04:01 PM
I like the Carr/Young QB combination. Whichever one progresses first is the starter.... :redtowel:

Texans Horror
01-05-2006, 04:07 PM

I already posted that idea earlier. The media needs to stop syphoning my thoughts!!!!

Johnny Utah
01-05-2006, 04:17 PM
There is no chance that the Texans would draft VY and keep Carr at the same time. First, Carr would demand a trade because he would cleary not be the future of the franchise.

I can see them drafting VY, but Carr would have to be moved.

edo783
01-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Won't happen. We'd be paying David Carr about $24 million for three years and if we drafted Vince Young, that would be around $50 million. Not gonna happen.

Not true. Just Franchise Carr for a year. Don't do the extension.

Dunta_23
01-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Not true. Just Franchise Carr for a year. Don't do the extension.

Carr isnt a free agent, he is due a roster bonus from his rookie deal...there is no negotiations about it....its the bonus or no bonus,then hes a free agent

Coach C.
01-05-2006, 05:13 PM
You understand that the number one pick this year if it is a QB will get around 57M or 9.5 a year.

TEXANRED
01-05-2006, 05:32 PM
The Media also said there is no way we would pass on Bush.

After many long hours examining and reexamining the facts.. i have come to one invariable conclusion.

The media dont know ****
I knew that when Dale Robertson was writting for the chronical. I swear that Justice is related to him.

SheTexan
01-05-2006, 05:51 PM
I knew that when Dale Robertson was writting for the chronical. I swear that Justice is related to him.

I've been saying this for a long time also RED! Justice has a one track mind, HIS WAY, PERIOD!!! As for Megan Manfull!???? Naw, not worth commenting on!

stevo3883
01-05-2006, 06:09 PM
You understand that the number one pick this year if it is a QB will get around 57M or 9.5 a year.

what???

Alex Smith got like 51

where did you get these numbers from?

dtran04
01-05-2006, 08:02 PM
Has there ever been a team in NFL history that had 2 #1 draft pick quarterbacks? It would just kill the cap. No way we can sign anyone worthwhile in FA.

tulexan
01-05-2006, 08:08 PM
what???

Alex Smith got like 51

where did you get these numbers from?

I wouldn't be surprised if Vince got even more than $57 Million. I'm thinking with him that he will get around $60 Million because he would have the Texans over a barrel. Especially when Drew Rosenhaus or the Poston Brothers gets ahold of Vince.

cuppacoffee
01-05-2006, 08:20 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Vince got even more than $57 Million. I'm thinking with him that he will get around $60 Million because he would have the Texans over a barrel. Especially when Drew Rosenhaus or the Poston Brothers gets ahold of Vince.

Texans over a barrel? Get real.

Vinny
01-05-2006, 08:22 PM
I don't know if this has been posted...just got back here to look around....but every Texan fan needs to tune in to ESPN tonight. This ought to be interesting.OTL - Outside the Lines

Texas Two-Step
Thursday, January 5, 2006
12:40 a.m. ET (9:40 p.m. PT) on ESPN

Before last night's Rose Bowl, it looked like USC's Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush was a shoe-in as the No. 1 pick in the 2006 NFL Draft. But Texas quarterback Vince Young's man-among-boys performance not only brought the Longhorns the national championship, it may have also vaulted him ahead of Bush in the draft. The Houston Texans may now face a dilemma -- if both Young and Bush enter the draft, should they stick with their plan and draft Bush, or now go after the Houston-born Young? Outside The Lines explores how the results of the Rose Bowl may have Houston doing a Texas Two-Step on draft day. Bob Ley hosts.

Guests include:
Mel Kiper, Jr: ESPN, NFL Draft Expert
Rick Gosselin: NFL writer, Dallas Morning News
Dave Harbison: Sports Director, Sports Radio 610 in Houston

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/story?id=1550600

tulexan
01-05-2006, 08:23 PM
Texans over a barrel? Get real.

Considering that he is a QB and people in Houston have pretty much already retired his number as a Texan, I don't think it is an unreasonable estimate.

Now if you ask me if he deserves it, that is a different question.

clutchcityin210
01-05-2006, 08:25 PM
Why not trade Carr and Davis to the Saints who would love to have both of them, get their pick, and draft Bush and VY?

tulexan
01-05-2006, 08:28 PM
Because then we would have to eat tons of dead cap money from both Davis and Carr plus pay Young and Bush. We would have about a quarter of our cap spent on 2 players this year.

Erratic Assassin
01-05-2006, 08:41 PM

As much as Casserly would LOVE to draft VY (because he fantasizes about QBs day and night), he wouldn't do it in a million years.

The only thing Casserly loves more than QBs is himself. Drafting Young would be an admission that drafting Carr was a mistake. It will NEVER and I mean NE-------VER happen. Forget VY, IF he comes out early, he will be a Saint. Get used to it.

aggieNzona
01-05-2006, 09:06 PM

Didn't Dante punch out Dale once in the Oiler locker room and didn't Dale have long sissy curly hair?:yahoo:

TEXANRED
01-05-2006, 09:43 PM
Didn't Dante punch out Dale once in the Oiler locker room and didn't Dale have long sissy curly hair?:yahoo:
Dan pastarini-spell check please-and yes Dale does have sissy curly hair. Kinda like a big blonde afro chia pet left over from the disco era.

keyfro
01-05-2006, 10:10 PM
i'm not so sure this is such and open and close case that the texans won't draft VY...there has been a lot of speculation that carr might not be the QB of the future of this franchise already...hinse the texans haven't already signed his bonus yet like they said they would before the last game...now with vince's performance last night and the season he's had...you can't just say that they'll pass on him...you can't say that they'll pass on bush either...let's face it we are the worst team in the nfl...we're getting a new coaching regime...that usually means other big changes in the personnal of the franchise...and normally a new franchise player

and look at it this way...which would hurt casserly and mcnair worse...drafting VY (the hometown phenom) and trading carr then carr becoming a very good QB for his next team...or not drafting VY and carr only becoming a decent qb while VY goes on to be even better than vick

Tulip
01-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Oh drat!

I really wanted to go to sleep early tonight because I lost so much sleep last night.

But I can't miss Outside the Lines. :(

tiger06
01-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Oh drat!

I really wanted to go to sleep early tonight because I lost so much sleep last night.

me too. I'm dead tired, but I wanna watch!

tulexan
01-05-2006, 10:35 PM
or not drafting VY and carr only becoming a decent qb while VY goes on to be even better than vick

Right now, that isn't that hard. Vick had success, but each season is getting injured and seems to be a step slower than he was when he first entered the league. I don't think he is even the best QB on his own team.

Buffi2
01-05-2006, 10:37 PM
Oh drat!

I think I'll go with a vcr and watch in the morning.:)

TheRealJoker
01-05-2006, 11:24 PM
No matter who you want, the draft just got alot more interesting!!!

Texans Pride
01-05-2006, 11:35 PM
No matter who you want, the draft just got alot more interesting!!!

You are 100% right about that. . . This is the most excited I've been about any of our drafts. This is like a fun rollercoaster ride; I just hope I don't puke at the end of it.

Tulip
01-05-2006, 11:47 PM
You are 100% right about that. . . This is the most excited I've been about any of our drafts. This is like a fun rollercoaster ride; I just hope I don't puke at the end of it.

Ditto. Kind of like last night's game. It was one heck of a ride, but I almost didn't survive it.

bubbajaxonbrown
01-06-2006, 12:26 AM
Good call Keyfro,

Nothing is for sure. The Chargers want to keep 2 QBs that hold a lot of money at one position for "insurance". Why can't the Texans do the same? Has Carr really produced and improved so much he is irreplacable? I like the idea of CC210 for trading DD and Carr to NO for their pick at #2 to get both Young and Bush and start this expansion all over. We would take a cap hit from h*** but contracts can be structured to hit the cap harder in certain years than others. If agents know the kind of maneuvering we are trying to do they will sometimes agree to only a signing bonus in year 1 and then increase the yearly salary through the end of the contract with bonuses throughout. This isn't such a gamble with rookies of this caliber b/c they look to be around for a long time and would 99.9% of the time see that final contract year. This will cause the overall contract to be higher to compensate for them stretching it out, but if we throw out the right number....

Contracts can be maneuvered to fit the cap accordingly. I'd rather have 1 season with a massive cap hit than sit here wondering "what if" when Young or Bush are All-pro somewhere else.

Vinny
01-06-2006, 12:49 AM
Just a heads-up. The show is on in a few mins.

Texas Two-Step
Thursday, January 5, 2006
12:40 a.m. ET (9:40 p.m. PT) on ESPN

Before last night's Rose Bowl, it looked like USC's Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush was a shoe-in as the No. 1 pick in the 2006 NFL Draft. But Texas quarterback Vince Young's man-among-boys performance not only brought the Longhorns the national championship, it may have also vaulted him ahead of Bush in the draft. The Houston Texans may now face a dilemma -- if both Young and Bush enter the draft, should they stick with their plan and draft Bush, or now go after the Houston-born Young? Outside The Lines explores how the results of the Rose Bowl may have Houston doing a Texas Two-Step on draft day. Bob Ley hosts.

Guests include:
Mel Kiper, Jr: ESPN, NFL Draft Expert
Rick Gosselin: NFL writer, Dallas Morning News
Dave Harbison: Sports Director, Sports Radio 610 in Houston[/QUOTE]

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/story?id=1550600

False Start
01-06-2006, 01:02 AM
I have never in my life had such a change of heart . After watching these highlights I am totally Vince Young all the way . This guy is gonna be something special , and I am praying the Texans take him if he comes out .

AUSTexan
01-06-2006, 01:10 AM
For what it's worth, they both just said the Texans should draft Bush over VY...

Paragon Blue
01-06-2006, 01:13 AM
For what it's worth, they both just said the Texans should draft Bush over VY...
:hairpull: It's going to be a long three months!!!!!!!!!

Texans_Chick
01-06-2006, 01:15 AM
It was a waste.

Nothing new said. Nothing in depth.

Basically, lots of stuff about Houstonians having a change of heart for their home town boy and Kiper saying VY has moved up the draft board. Saying that a RB can have a faster impact than a rookie QB, and that it would slow down our progress.

Wish they talked some about the Carr contractual situation and how things would work or not work with the cap--how it would affect us.

BTW, LOL, they played some callers from 610, and <shudder> they had a short clip of my voice on it. (I couldn't help myself this morning whilst stuck in traffic).

Grid
01-06-2006, 01:15 AM
I think that the media is underestimating the Houston fans. There will be an outcry if we dont take Young.. mostly from UT graduates.. but the city will get over it before preseason is over.

No one is going to boycott the Texans because they didnt take Young.

If anything.. this just puts alot of pressure on Bush to come in and produce. Cause if we take Bush over Young.. and then Bush comes in and has a bad year.. the whining about not taking Young may never stop.

LongBignasty1
01-06-2006, 01:17 AM
Vince on the Leno show tonight verbally stumbled when Leno asked him a few tough questions about coming out.

Vinsanity in 2006!!!!!!!!
Go Texans!!!!!!!!

Paragon Blue
01-06-2006, 01:18 AM
Vince on the Leno show tonight verbally stumbled when Leno asked him a few tough questions about coming out.

Vinsanity in 2006!!!!!!!!
Go Texans!!!!!!!!
What did he say??

Grid
01-06-2006, 01:19 AM
you can see what he said in the draft forum.. they have a thread about it.

LongBignasty1
01-06-2006, 01:20 AM
I'll double check i wasn't aware it was there in the draft forumn