PDA

View Full Version : So when is the deadline on the 8 million?

Marcus
01-05-2006, 09:58 AM
My understanding is that the deadline for declaring for the draft is January 15th, right? So when exactly does McNair have to decide about giving the Carr the extension? Can he wait until after the 15th?

Y'all know what I'm getting at here?:)

ArlingtonTexan
01-05-2006, 10:58 AM
I have seen at lest three different dates (one of which has passed). I believe that it is the end of the NFL season which is in mid-February.

tulexan
01-05-2006, 11:06 AM
From what I understand they are just working out the fine details and the extension is going to be complete soon.

Vince is not being drafted by the Texans.

Most people are saying that this game has moved Vince over Matt, not Reggie. It is only the Dick Vitale of college football, Lee Corso, and the local guys who are saying that we should draft Vince.

Wharton
01-05-2006, 11:14 AM
From what I understand, the last game of the year, season, is the probowl, which is Feb. 12. Granted this is what I have read on this board and off of 610 radio, so take it for what its worth.

:homer:

Vinny
01-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Just a guess...but I think it is March 2nd2006 NFL Calendar
January 3, 2006

January 7-8 - Wild Card Playoffs

January 13-14 - Assistant coaches under contract to playoff clubs that
won their Wild Card games may be interviewed for head
coaching positions prior to their Divisional Playoff games.

January 14-15 - Divisional Playoffs

January 22 - AFC & NFC Conference Championships

February 5 - Super Bowl XL - Detroit

February 12 - AFC-NFC Pro Bowl - Honolulu

February 22-28 - Scouting Combine - Indianapolis

February 23 - Waiver system begins

- Deadline (4:00 p.m. ET) for clubs to
designate Franchise & Transition players

March 2 - Expiration date of all player contracts
due to expire in 2006

Chaft
01-05-2006, 11:45 AM
There are folks saying that the Texans can trade Carr AFTER he gets paid the bonus. What kind kind of cap acceleration happens here? I don't think this is possible to do that. Also, what team would give a 1st rounder for Carr for only a 2 year contract ($5.5 million bonus) at approximately $5 million base salary each year (pretty high salary for a QB)? The Texans either keep Carr or just let him go. There can be no trading him.

tulexan
01-05-2006, 11:47 AM
Just a guess...but I think it is March 2nd

I think each contract is different.

Vinny
01-05-2006, 11:48 AM
all of his 8 mil gets accelerated to the cap.....PLUS he has that massive base salary to deal with (the other team has to accept it).

Vinny
01-05-2006, 11:49 AM
I think each contract is different.the end of the NFL contract year is the same for each player...his re-sign may have a different date though...that's why I said it was a guess .....but it won't be past March 2nd per the NFL deadlines. I can assure you on that one.

tulexan
01-05-2006, 11:53 AM
I know that it won't be past March 2nd, but it might be earlier.

Chaft
01-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Has there been any discussion about Carr renegotiating his contract to be more commensurate to his production over the last 4 years? This option bonus along with his base salary for 2 or 3 years (depending on what bonus is selected) is the kind of money associated with Pro Bowl QBs. If Carr wants to be proactive, he can do this. Forcing Texans' management to make a decision of giving him a big bonus or let him go is not just the only route.

aj.
01-05-2006, 01:12 PM
It's earlier. Sometime in mid-Feb but I can't recall the exact date. The deadline for Carr's bonus precedes the expiration date of the contract (Mar 2) by about two weeks or so.

If they did a sign and trade, not all of the 8 mill would accelerate (that is if they give him the three year option over the two year option) since 2 million will count on the '05 cap if they execute the bonus by x date (prior to March 2).

TexanSam
01-05-2006, 01:25 PM
I think the date is February 8th or something like that.

ArlingtonTexan
01-06-2006, 10:22 AM
On 610, Casserly said that Carr will be offered. He said the time frame to do that is in February, not specific as to the date.

HJam72
01-06-2006, 10:26 AM
I've defended Carr many times, but I don't like paying him that much. It's just too much and he hasn't proven that he's worth it (or not, really). I can't believe they're not going to let him test the market and find out what he's really worth. We've already got too many over-paid players.

JDizzle
01-06-2006, 10:28 AM
I think it's 2/15. Contracts expire in march, but we have until 2/15 to exercise the option in Carr's contract. I posted an article by Pat Kirwan a few weeks ago that had the exact date .... I'll try and dig it up again.

Edit
---

Ok, I was a bit off, it's 2/19.

Basically, Carr has until Feb. 7, 2006, to declare he is letting his contract void, which I believe he has already decided to do. Then the Texans have until Feb. 19 to pick up the option bonus to keep him. If they pick up the option, they have one of two choices to make. Kind of like a menu at a restaurant, if you will.

Link to entire article. (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9055466)

edo783
01-06-2006, 10:42 AM
CC was talking a couple of weeks ago and said he thought it would be done in a week or two. Not done...Mmmm. Could it be they are trying to work out a restructuring deal? With the turmoil that has come out from the Rose Bowl, I suspect that it may put some new juice into the negotiatgions if they are trying to work a new deal.

Kaiser Toro
01-06-2006, 10:52 AM
The talk of VY entering the draft gives us amazing leverage with Carr and the #1, I happen to love the frenzy and am thankful we have a two headed monster in Cass and Reeves along with an engaged owner at this moment.