PDA

View Full Version : ABC Makes biggest Mistake in TV History!!!

The Mighty Texan
12-27-2005, 04:07 PM
Monday Night Football is OVER as we know it! I have sent many messages about this STUPID move leaving out 17 million viewers is Down Right STUPID!!! ABC will be dead last in the rating FOREVER now...

I will REFUSE to watch ANY ABC show from now on!!

The Mighty Dissapointed Texan!!

PS. I have cable but that ain't the point...

TEXANS84
12-27-2005, 04:15 PM

Then you will not be watching the Superbowl this year.

ThaShark316
12-27-2005, 04:27 PM
If ABC gets rid of Football altogether (College and Pro)...the only thing on ABC I would watch is the George Lopez show.

Texizgreat
12-27-2005, 05:12 PM
coming from the cable industry... The reason for this move is that ABC ownes ESPN. With that said ESPN is the MOST EXPENSIVE non preimium channel going. So... ESPN will now no doubt next season raise its rates to the cable companys then in turn cable companys must raise is package that has ESPN in it.

For example locally
Basic package does not carry espn 20 channles for 15ish dollars
Sandard package DOES carry espn 50 channels for 30 ish dollars
ESPN alone for in that package accounts for either $3.50 or $4.50 (need to look that up again)

Each customer that has standard package the cable co must pay ESPN (ABC) $3.50 or $4.50

to the person that said he would not watch ABC programming....well ESPN is ABC. That would be hard not to watch :ok:

LBC_Justin
12-27-2005, 06:25 PM
Monday Night Football is OVER as we know it! I have sent many messages about this STUPID move leaving out 17 million viewers is Down Right STUPID!!! ABC will be dead last in the rating FOREVER now...

The Mighty Dissapointed Texan!!

PS. I have cable but that ain't the point...
Personally I am glad about the change. No more 2-10 teams playing 4-8 teams on National TV. We will actually get the games we want to see on Sunday nights.

I don't care if MNF is on ESPN.

aj.
12-27-2005, 06:51 PM
I grew up with MNF in the early 70's - lived for Cosell's halftime highlights long before there was an ESPN Sportscenter - but I really don't get nostalgic about the ABC component. To me, the classic MNF broadcasts ended in the early 80's anyway so I don't care what network it's on as long as we get a game on Monday night.

gwallaia
12-27-2005, 07:00 PM
I argee AJ, when Cosell left and the classic Monday Night Football theme song changed to the Hank Williams version, the nostaglia was gone.

I can just hear Cosell's voice at halftime going over Sunday's action. "Arrowhead Stadium, the New York Football Giants in town to take on the Chiefs."

Huge
12-27-2005, 09:11 PM
But they're going to bring back Tim McGraw's half-time contribution, right!?!?! RIGHT!?!? :sarcasm:

Edit: I was hoping the "sarcasm" sing wouldn't be needed.

MNF has sucked for a long, long time and it has had nothing to do with the two teams on the field.

Carr Bombed
12-27-2005, 09:20 PM
But they're going to bring back Tim McGraw's half-time contribution, right!?!?! RIGHT!?!?

MNF has sucked for a long, long time and it has had nothing to do with the two teams on the field.agreed I really enjoyed that this year

gwallaia
12-27-2005, 10:19 PM
what happened with the original idea that MNF would move to ESPN?

Huh? It's more than an idea now; it's a reality.

CenTexNative
12-27-2005, 11:19 PM
The main reason for ABC dropping Monday Night Football was due to dwindling broadcast tv audiences. But they did not want to drop it altogether. That's why it's going to ESPN2. I don't like it myself but can you really blame them for it?

Jack Bauer
12-28-2005, 12:10 AM
The main reason for ABC dropping Monday Night Football was due to dwindling broadcast tv audiences. But they did not want to drop it altogether. That's why it's going to ESPN2. I don't like it myself but can you really blame them for it?

MNF is still a top 10 show. Other than Lost and Desperate Housewives (who the heck watches that show?), what other show is rated that highly for ABC? Nothing. So this makes no sense to me. By the way, I am fairly certain it is going to ESPN, not ESPN2!

CenTexNative
12-28-2005, 12:34 AM
It just might be ESPN. Either way I won't be able to see it. It still sucks.

Corrosion
12-28-2005, 12:54 AM
If ABC gets rid of Football altogether (College and Pro)...the only thing on ABC I would watch is the George Lopez show.

How about another late night Info-mercial :penalty:

HomeBred_Texan
12-28-2005, 05:59 AM
Don't forget this was a trade off too. Now ABC will get the Sunday Night Game instead of ESPN. So we are not losing or gaining here. But I like the fact that ESPN will have total control over which games will be shown on MNF in the 2nd half of the season. If I heard correctly. We wont have to watch 2 losing teams battle for draft position.

Tale Gator
12-28-2005, 06:48 AM
When 75% of your games have boring matchups it's hard to get folks to watch.

Jack Bauer
12-28-2005, 06:56 AM
When 75% of your games have boring matchups it's hard to get folks to watch.

Not too hard. MNF was still one of the top rated programs. I think this has more to do with trying to get more money out of cable operators for ESPN.

Txn_in_Oki
12-28-2005, 07:30 AM
Like others are saying, MNF just hasn't seemed that relevent for a long time. I remember being a kid and it was a big deal to get to stay up for the game. Now you have SUnday night games, Thursday nights... nothing really special anymore.

Geez, I can still remember how I thought it was such a big deal when that other Houston football team finally got back on MNF. After years of futility they were back in the spotlight.

I think they lost.

:tv: Oh well.

Kaiser Toro
12-28-2005, 09:08 AM
Don't forget this was a trade off too. Now ABC will get the Sunday Night Game instead of ESPN. So we are not losing or gaining here. But I like the fact that ESPN will have total control over which games will be shown on MNF in the 2nd half of the season. If I heard correctly. We wont have to watch 2 losing teams battle for draft position.

NBC will get the Sunday night package.

MNF was a happening in the late 70's and early 80's. Cosell's highlight package and the accompanying music taught a generation how to play in slow motion. I am heading to Costa Rica today and my buddy I grew up with in Vegas is bringing his MNF highlight package for us to watch. It truly is one of those things that has spanned a lifetime as I was born in 1970.

TheOgre
12-28-2005, 12:41 PM
The NFL wanted to move the Network Primetime broadcast to Sunday night to make it easier to change out games. It is easier to tell a ticket holder that their Sunday noon game is now at 8pm (or vice versa) than it is to tell them it is now on Monday night. I'm not sure how many times a year that NBC will have this option, but it should allow for better Prime Time matchups, which could boost ratings.

ABC had the option of getting that deal but didn't want to mess up its winning combination of Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy.

Keyser Soze
12-28-2005, 01:07 PM
The classic MNF theme song, and the music they played during halftime highlights - I love those. I suppose ESPN will have to tart up the presentation to put their stamp on it. Too bad. Maybe it's nostalgia, but the old themes did it best IMO.

Jack Bauer
12-28-2005, 01:11 PM
ABC had the option of getting that deal but didn't want to mess up its winning combination of Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy.

And this is the reason 13 passed up the Sunday night game this year. So much for the "Official Station of the Texans"! I think that title needs to be taken away since they chose Desperate Housewives over Texans football! I am sure Channel 2 or 11 would be willing to buy the rights from 13. :brickwall

Khari
12-28-2005, 01:11 PM
But they're going to bring back Tim McGraw's half-time contribution, right!?!?! RIGHT!?!? :sarcasm:

but, but, sometimes his song is the only thing I actually pay attention to while the game is on in the background ....... they can't take it away!

:redtowel: I like it, i love it, i want some more of it...... :tv:

Jack Bauer
12-28-2005, 01:17 PM

MNF has sucked for a long, long time and it has had nothing to do with the two teams on the field.

I didn't think it was necessary, but obviously it is better to use the sign to avoid ....:confused:

:)

Bullpen Drew
12-28-2005, 01:48 PM
I hate to see it go, but it was time to pull the plug on it. When they had Dennis Miller, the show had jumped the shark.............

Plus all those terrible games on weren't helping much.....

Speedy
12-28-2005, 02:32 PM
Makes no difference to me. There's still a game on tv on Monday night so I'm good.

Although I do remember Cosell and the halftime show growing up, and thought it was cool simply because you didn't have Sportscenter and that was the only way you got to see all the teams highlights, the program means nothing to me except for the game itself.

Now that the game's on ESPN, maybe it will get back to being about football instead of some "desperate" naked woman jumping into TO's arms. Not that I have a problem with desperate naked women. In fact, if you know any or are one, PM me.:cool:

What I will miss in all of this is NFL Primetime. Best highlight show ever.

Sportsfan
12-28-2005, 04:05 PM
I'm going to copy and past what Peter King wrote in this week's MMQB b/c i agree w/him completely on the subject.

One final note: I understand this is the last Monday Night Football game on ABC. I have noticed the long pieces on TV and in the papers about ABC not doing the games anymore. In fact, a higher-up at SI.com suggested I use this week's column to give my thoughts on the last Monday nighter at ABC. Here's why I didn't: Do you, as readers, care? Do you, as talk-show callers, care? I don't think so. I listen to talk shows and I haven't heard one caller, not a single one, call and wax eloquently about the end of an era in TV sports. Look, the Monday night games have had an impact on the league, but the biggest impact was in the Cosell days. There's still going to be Monday night football next year, though the package won't be as impressive as the Sunday games.

And so the bottom line is this: Fans are going to turn the TV on to watch good football games. They don't care if they're on ABC or ESPN or NBC. They care if the games are good. They also don't care, I've found, who the announcers are. No one looks in the TV listings and says: "Wow, JohnMadden's doing the game! I'm watching!'' Or on Sundays, no one picks a game on dueling networks because Phil Simms is analyzing one and Randy Cross the other. That's why I'm not writing about the last Monday night game on ABC.

Hervoyel
12-28-2005, 04:17 PM
A long, long time ago "MNF" became just another broadcast to me. I don't exactly know what it was that they had back in the day but it was special. They lost that when they broke up the original guys (Cosell & Co.) and each subsequent group that followed was less interesting.

I swear the harder they tried to keep that cool MNF "vibe" the less I cared. I don't think ABC ever really understood what made it cool in the beginning.

Now it's just good that there will be a game on Monday night because I'm used to there being a game on Monday night. No other reason really.

TheOgre
12-28-2005, 04:36 PM
Cosell made MNF. Unfortunately his retirement unmade it too.

Jack Bauer
12-28-2005, 04:46 PM
Cosell made MNF. Unfortunately his retirement unmade it too.

ESPN helped unmake it as well. The halftime highlights used to be what I waited for. When ESPN came about, the halftime highlights were anticlimatic.

real
12-28-2005, 06:53 PM
Personally I am glad about the change. No more 2-10 teams playing 4-8 teams on National TV. We will actually get the games we want to see on Sunday nights.

I don't care if MNF is on ESPN.

How do you know what the teams records will be ?

mexican_texan
12-28-2005, 08:31 PM
ABC lost a lot of money and only ESPN can make money off of MNF. End of Thread.

Jack Bauer
12-28-2005, 08:33 PM
ABC lost a lot of money and only ESPN can make money off of MNF. End of Thread.

Do you have links showing what ABC lost on MNF? It was still a top 20 show, maybe top 10. I haven't checked to include this weeks numbers. I actually know they lost money, but I would call this mismanagement, not that MNF was no longer viable.

mexican_texan
12-28-2005, 08:37 PM
Do you have links showing what ABC lost on MNF? It was still a top 20 show, maybe top 10. I haven't checked to include this weeks numbers.
They lost money on paying the rights. I heard it months ago, so if there was a link, it would be dead. At least there will be late-season flexible schedules. I wonder if I would have to upgrade my DIRECTV package to watch ESPN. There are hundreds of chanels I don't watch already, just so I could get the NFL Network.

cuppacoffee
12-29-2005, 10:42 AM
They lost money on paying the rights. I heard it months ago, so if there was a link, it would be dead. At least there will be late-season flexible schedules. I wonder if I would have to upgrade my DIRECTV package to watch ESPN. There are hundreds of chanels I don't watch already, just so I could get the NFL Network.

Just another step toward NFL pay per view.

Think about it, to view the Sunday night games you've had to subscribe to espn (pay). Now you will have to subscribe to watch Monday night football. Throw the masses a bone, give them Sunday night football (temporarily)

Next step in the evolution, only regular season afternoon games will be televised on free network television. This will be to keep fans interest in the games. All playoffs will be televised on espn with the super bowl being only on ppv.

Anyone with any foresight at all should be able to see this coming.

Eventually anyone with interest in the games will be forced to subscribe to the NFL network for games and playoffs. Escalating salaries and the owners need (greed) for money will bring this all about. :howdy:

My guess is that it will take about ten years for this to gradually happen.

My interest in football is already ebbing. Whether this is due to me getting older (mid sixties), all the dancing and showboating, or watching the Texans, I'm not quite sure.

I do know that having to pay to watch it on tv will kill my interest altogether.

:twocents:

:coffee:

Texas_Thrill
12-29-2005, 10:56 AM
Very interesting. From a business perspective its simply brilliant. No wonder the NFL has the most value franchises in all of sports.

As a fan....it sucks.

axman40
12-29-2005, 06:50 PM
Going ppv has really helped Boxing!
:sarcasm:

michaelm
01-02-2006, 01:53 AM
Personally, I'm more sad about losing NFL Prime Time on ESPN.

The Mighty Texan
03-19-2006, 06:16 PM
You watch MNF will be a joke on ESPN... They have to realize that most people don't have cable and will not watch...

RIP MNF - ESPN Will destroy whatever value you had...and shove a lot of commercials inbetween...

The Mighty Texan!!

ABC is SOL!!!

TexanExile
08-25-2006, 12:31 PM
Wow, instant memories flooding from those mp3's! I'll miss that show too. Are they producing any version of it at all in '06, maybe for broadcast during Monday Night Countdown?

Side note: After the 10-second intro, doesn't that second mp3 sound a lot like the chase theme from "Fletch?" I kept picturing Chevy Chase roller-skating down the beach while wearing a Moses beard and pajamas.

And yes, I've seen that movie far, far too many times. :tv:

thunderkyss
08-25-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm gonna miss Primetime this season.

http://www.doza.biz/Primetime/NFL_Primetime_1.mp3

http://www.doza.biz/Primetime/NFL_Primetime_2.mp3

http://www.doza.biz/Primetime/NFL_Primetime_3.mp3

http://www.doza.biz/Primetime/NFL_Primetime_5.mp3

http://www.doza.biz/Primetime/NFL_Primetime_6.mp3

http://www.doza.biz/Primetime/NFL_Primetime_7.mp3

http://www.doza.biz/Primetime/NFL_Primetime_8-InternationalStatement.mp3

Why are we going to miss NFL Primetime?? only difference is we won't have to change the chanel to watch the game eh??

TexanExile
08-25-2006, 02:26 PM
As I understand it, NBC's contract for Sunday Night Football forbids all other networks from running NFL programming at the same time their game is on. That includes highlight shows anytime after the late game, meaning shows like NFL PrimeTime cannot air on Sunday nights. (Pretty smart of them, admittedly.)

As Gregg Easterbrook wrote here, (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9140954) "The same new contracts that move Monday Night Football to ESPN next season also move the Sunday evening package from ESPN to NBC. The peacock network gets an exclusive on highlight shows from the end of the doubleheader game Sunday afternoon until midnight Sunday. So Primetime might still run at 12:01 a.m. Monday, or prior to the new ESPN Monday night telecast."

thunderkyss
08-25-2006, 02:33 PM
As I understand it, NBC's contract for Sunday Night Football forbids all other networks from running NFL programming at the same time their game is on. That includes highlight shows anytime after the late game, meaning shows like NFL PrimeTime cannot air on Sunday nights. (Pretty smart of them, admittedly.)

As Gregg Easterbrook wrote here, (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9140954) "The same new contracts that move Monday Night Football to ESPN next season also move the Sunday evening package from ESPN to NBC. The peacock network gets an exclusive on highlight shows from the end of the doubleheader game Sunday afternoon until midnight Sunday. So Primetime might still run at 12:01 a.m. Monday, or prior to the new ESPN Monday night telecast."

Wow........ no highlight shows on any other network between 6:00pm Sunday to 12:00am Monday..... I hope they do something with it, because I loved NFL Primetime.

WWJD
08-25-2006, 04:53 PM
Monday Night Football was never as good after Don Meredith left. He was just so funny. To me he was never replaced by anybody nearly as good.

Although I did like Joe Namath! I had a crush on Broadway!