PDA

View Full Version : Clayton on the Texans and Reeves on ESPN

gtexan02
12-13-2005, 06:04 PM
Just heard him talking. His take is that Reeves means that Cass and Capers are both gone. He thinks that Reeves is already looking at the defensive coordinator for San Diego (Wade Phillips), who is effective at the 3-4, and is the son of Bum Phillips (Oiler coach). He thinks that Reeves was hired because McNair likes Carr, and knwos that Reeves is good at building franchises around star quarterbacks (Elway).

titan hater
12-13-2005, 06:09 PM
Just heard him talking. His take is that Reeves means that Cass and Capers are both gone. He thinks that Reeves is already looking at the defensive coordinator for San Diego (Wade Phillips), who is effective at the 3-4, and is the son of Bum Phillips (Oiler coach). He thinks that Reeves was hired because McNair likes Carr, and knwos that Reeves is good at building franchises around star quarterbacks (Elway).

Ive implied it before and now I'll say it...Wade Phillips is going to be the next coach. DR and he have a history....+ WP has interviewed fopr the job before...McNair already knows him....

tulexan
12-13-2005, 06:14 PM
I actually think we will go in an offensive direction not a defensive direction.

God of Wine
12-13-2005, 06:19 PM
I actually think we will go in an offensive direction not a defensive direction.

Ditto, I hope so. I don't think Wade Phillips is the answer anyway.

tulexan
12-13-2005, 06:28 PM
I really think that Kubiak is the man for the job. Apparently the only knock on him the first time was that he wasn't good with the media. I don't care if our coach is Mr. Smooth with the media I want the guy who is gonna get the job done.

YoungTexanFan
12-13-2005, 06:28 PM
Ditto, I hope so. I don't think Wade Phillips is the answer anyway.

I actually agree with you on this idea.

HJam72
12-13-2005, 06:47 PM
I really think that Kubiak is the man for the job. Apparently the only knock on him the first time was that he wasn't good with the media. I don't care if our coach is Mr. Smooth with the media I want the guy who is gonna get the job done.

Yeah, lol. I want to hear a coach say, "What's all this crap about execution? We didn't keep it close. We kicked their **** butts! We won because I'm a bleaping genius and knew what to do!" :redtowel:

Hardcore Texan
12-13-2005, 06:59 PM

Clayton also said that he could see Reeves as the OC if I heard right, that was the part about building franchises around QB's. I don't think that would every happen, but I think that was Clayton's comment.

I could however see Reeves as our GM.

Hardcore Texan
12-13-2005, 07:05 PM
Yeah, I just watch it again, I had it on TIVO. Clayton said "he (Reeves) could maybe even be talked into taking the job (OC) himself" , building around QB and so on. Still seems very far fetched. Too good to be true in my mind. Especially if Phillips ended up at HC.

Grid
12-13-2005, 07:10 PM
I will be so psyched if we get Wade Phillips.

Phillips seems to really know how to run an effective 3-4.

gtexan02
12-13-2005, 07:18 PM
The one thing I really like about Phillips is that he took Steve Foley, who are coaching staff didn't know what to do with and who absolutely tanked here, and made him into a probowl outside linebacker.

God of Wine
12-13-2005, 07:45 PM

I would love to have Kubiak as our HC. I don't care how he is with the media, let John Mcclain and John Lopez deal with him. :idea:

Grid
12-13-2005, 08:48 PM
why dont we just break the bank and get Kubiak as Head Coach and Phillips as DC :).. grab us another qualified OC.. like the guy from Kansas City or Philly.. and make Reeves GM.. or someone else qualified.. and get ready for the superbowl trophies to come rollin in :)

YoungTexanFan
12-13-2005, 08:51 PM
why dont we just break the bank and get Kubiak as Head Coach and Phillips as DC :).. grab us another qualified OC.. like the guy from Kansas City or Philly.. and make Reeves GM.. or someone else qualified.. and get ready for the superbowl trophies to come rollin in :)

you beat me to the post grid.

gtexan02
12-13-2005, 09:21 PM
I dont think we can offer Phillips a role equal to the one he is in now until his contract is up. You can offer him an improved role (HC) but not the same role or lower (DC).

tulexan
12-13-2005, 09:29 PM

The guy responsible for the offense in KC is Dick Vermeil.

run-david-run
12-13-2005, 09:34 PM
The guy responsible for the offense in KC is Dick Vermeil.
Al Saunders, one of the best O-Cordinators in the game might say something about that

Grid
12-13-2005, 09:36 PM
Al Saunders.. yah thats who I was thinking of. Though Dick Vermeil did have alot to do with the offense as well. I think Saunders could come in and construct that same kind of offense here too... and I think it would work great for us... if we had an Oline.

edo783
12-13-2005, 09:42 PM
I dont think we can offer Phillips a role equal to the one he is in now until his contract is up. You can offer him an improved role (HC) but not the same role or lower (DC).

OK, assistant head coach in charge of the defense.

Kaiser Toro
12-13-2005, 10:20 PM
Wade Phillips as Head Coach makes great copy in the media, but I did not sign up for an unfrozen caveman defensive coordinator to come in as Head Coach and say, "Hello. My name is Wade Phillips, you fired my father. Prepare to die."

D Coordinator I can live with for Wade. If the intention is to keep Carr we must hire the best offensive mind out there to lead this ship.

dalemurphy
12-13-2005, 11:56 PM

Better yet, let's learn from our mistakes and hire the Head Coach and let him put together his staff instead of the GM doing it for him (Palmer).

touttail
12-14-2005, 05:58 AM
and knwos that Reeves is good at building franchises around star quarterbacks (Elway).

He pushed big time for Michael Vick being drafted when he was coaching Atlanta.

bobby 119C:brickwall

touttail
12-14-2005, 06:00 AM

I don't think Wade will move laterally. I feel he want the HC job somewhere!

Bobby 119C:brickwall

GP
12-14-2005, 09:39 AM
"I really think that Kubiak is the man for the job. Apparently the only knock on him the first time was that he wasn't good with the media. I don't care if our coach is Mr. Smooth with the media I want the guy who is gonna get the job done." -- tulexan

-----------------------------

I 100% agree with you. If that's his only knock, then I say bump him to the top of the list.

The coachspeak with Capers, even when we were winning, was awful. Just reeks.

Give me a guy who tells the media where to put it...especially when it's the Chronic getting it shoved down their throat. Dom is TOO nice of a guy, and that's what you get with Mooch, as well. Leads to undisciplined players who know everything's going to be fine if they screw up and don't "execute."

TheOgre
12-14-2005, 09:55 AM
If Kubiak can resurrect Plummer's career, I think he could do the same with Carr's.

los is 7
12-14-2005, 10:06 AM
Bum Phillips Sucked As A Coach!

HJam72
12-14-2005, 10:10 AM
Bum Phillips Sucked As A Coach!

Gee, that statement's gonna be popular around here. :cool:

Texas_Thrill
12-14-2005, 10:19 AM
I dont want freaking Phillips. Why are we getting RECYCLED head coaches? I mean this is just ridiculous. :brickwall

infantrycak
12-14-2005, 10:31 AM
I dont want freaking Phillips. Why are we getting RECYCLED head coaches? I mean this is just ridiculous. :brickwall

Yeah, nobody that has every been a HC before should be considered.

Signed--Bill Belicheck.

Vinny
12-14-2005, 10:35 AM
I think Phillips is one of our better choices.

Vinny
12-14-2005, 10:53 AM
I think as well Phillips could be very good. Defense wins championships, and he could help the talent this team has on D be even better. I just want to know what's going to be done about our offense. Where do you think the Texans will go Vinny, offensively? I don't have a clue and hate to speculate too much (just reading all the unfounded speculation around here is giving me a headache). I do think that if we pull in someone like Wade (our defense is just horrible - even worse than our bad offense) we will bring in a higher profile offensive mind and give him quite a bit of control. Wade has proven he can coach a 3-4 or a 4-3.

Runner
12-14-2005, 11:04 AM
I don't have a clue and hate to speculate too much (just reading all the unfounded speculation around here is giving me a headache). I do think that if we pull in someone like Wade (our defense is just horrible - even worse than our bad offense) we will bring in a higher profile offensive mind and give him quite a bit of control. Wade has proven he can coach a 3-4 or a 4-3.

I agree, the management structure speculation is out of control.

However, back to football talk. If we do revamp the defensive side of the ball is appears to me that it willl be expensive in terms of draft picks and free agent signings. Many posters here post opinions of the draft that focus solely on offense.

I think we have to fix one or the other this year. We could try to be a high scoring team or a defensive team that can hold opponents to low point totals. It is my opinion that having one strong unit will help us more than raising the level of each by a small amount. It will give our team a personality if nothing else.

So, should we devote our precious off-season resources:

a) evenly split between offense and defense
b) heavily weighted to defense
c) heavily weighted to offense

cadahnic
12-14-2005, 11:09 AM
Runner I feel it has to be a combination of both more weighted toward offense on the first day and defense the next. Now this depends on what is acquired in the trade down for Reggie Bush of course. I would pernally like to see us take the best OL prospect, a corner/saftey tweener, an interior lineman, and perhaps a pass rushing DE or LB to help with the run and pass rush. Mind you system will play a large part in both as will FA.

Kaiser Toro
12-14-2005, 11:11 AM
I don't have a clue and hate to speculate too much (just reading all the unfounded speculation around here is giving me a headache). I do think that if we pull in someone like Wade (our defense is just horrible - even worse than our bad offense) we will bring in a higher profile offensive mind and give him quite a bit of control. Wade has proven he can coach a 3-4 or a 4-3.

I do like his defensive mind and flexibility to work with both schemes.

Runner
12-14-2005, 11:12 AM
By the way, I think it is going to end up being heavily weighted defense.

Ibar_Harry
12-14-2005, 11:14 AM

However, back to football talk. If we do revamp the defensive side of the ball is appears to me that it willl be expensive in terms of draft picks and free agent signings. Many posters here post opinions of the draft that focus solely on offense.

I think we have to fix one or the other this year. We could try to be a high scoring team or a defensive team that can hold opponents to low point totals. It is my opinion that having one strong unit will help us more than raising the level of each by a small amount. It will give our team a personality if nothing else.

Runner, I agree with you, but I have been saying this for a long time. Injuries in year 2 are a big part of what we are seeing. I think there is another option to some of this and that is the coaching. For example, if we hire an outstanding O-line coach may be we can repair some of the damage and be more than adequate. If we hire an Offenisve coach who knows QB's then may be we solve problems there. If we hire an excellent receivers coach, just may be we solve our problems there. What I'm saying is this team might well be a whole lot better if a lot of money - where there is no limit - is spent on coaching. I would agree that defense right now looks like it is in total disarray. They simply threw away the talent we had. Although I have felt some of our younger personnel have promise and simply weren't coached well at all. I think everywhere you look, its coaching and not necessarily the players that's the problem. Bring in the best coaches you can find in each position and then let them do their magic. They will decide what you need to do with the draft and FA. Again, this team is now once again some years away from being competitive if we have to rely on the draft and FA. If its a coaching problem only then may be we can be turned around in a year or less.

Bayern
12-14-2005, 11:18 AM

You know maybe its just me but I feel like none of us can truly evaluate talent on this team when every man on that roster has received the terrible coaching given to them. Hence the Steve Foley case.

I don't want any more "major fixes" until we see what we've REALLY got with effective coaching. That being said, its hard to not think best player available in this years draft, because I really don't know how good our current guys could be. JMO.

Bayern
12-14-2005, 11:19 AM
Looks like Ibar beat me to it. :rolleyes:

abbest
12-14-2005, 11:20 AM
I really think that Kubiak is the man for the job. Apparently the only knock on him the first time was that he wasn't good with the media. I don't care if our coach is Mr. Smooth with the media I want the guy who is gonna get the job done.I just understand why McNair didn`t hire Kubiak the first time. Kubiak has better credentials than Capers. How many Super Bowl wins has Capers coached in some capacity. Capers nose nose might have been a little browner.

abbest
12-14-2005, 11:25 AM
Yeah, I just watch it again, I had it on TIVO. Clayton said "he (Reeves) could maybe even be talked into taking the job (OC) himself" , building around QB and so on. Still seems very far fetched. Too good to be true in my mind. Especially if Phillips ended up at HC. Just like Pat Riley put the screws to van Gundy. I can see that situation brewing

Grid
12-14-2005, 11:28 AM
What scares me about Reeves becoming OC is the Falcon fans talking about how he is incredibly predictable (run run pass) and has a tendency to blame "excecution" for a lack of offensive production.

boy.. that sounds familiar :brickwall

least we wouldnt have to worry about any drastic changes identity.. and im betting Reeves would be a bit more capable when it comes to protecting the QB :ok:

abbest
12-14-2005, 11:33 AM
"I really think that Kubiak is the man for the job. Apparently the only knock on him the first time was that he wasn't good with the media. I don't care if our coach is Mr. Smooth with the media I want the guy who is gonna get the job done." -- tulexan

-----------------------------

I 100% agree with you. If that's his only knock, then I say bump him to the top of the list.

The coachspeak with Capers, even when we were winning, was awful. Just reeks.

Give me a guy who tells the media where to put it...especially when it's the Chronic getting it shoved down their throat. Dom is TOO nice of a guy, and that's what you get with Mooch, as well. Leads to undisciplined players who know everything's going to be fine if they screw up and don't "execute."Bob McNair did a great job of bringing pro football back to Houston but he should have choose a winner to coach the team. Who gives a @#$%%# about Kubiak personna with the media. Kubiak coached Elway to two Super bowl wins. Capers QB Collins quit on him didn`t anybody remember that.

Grid
12-14-2005, 11:39 AM
bleh.. 4 years ago when we got Capers we were happy to have a coach who had built an expansion team before. We all agreed (for the most part) that Capers was a good choice because of his past experience.. and he WAS a defensive genius and HAD taken an expansion team to the playoffs in just a few seasons.

He didnt work out.. but lets try not to act like we all saw it coming and have been saying it for years.

Ibar_Harry
12-14-2005, 11:39 AM
You know maybe its just me but I feel like none of us can truly evaluate talent on this team when every man on that roster has received the terrible coaching given to them. Hence the Steve Foley case.

I don't want any more "major fixes" until we see what we've REALLY got with effective coaching. That being said, its hard to not think best player available in this years draft, because I really don't know how good our current guys could be. JMO.

Its amazing they can't see the tree for the forest. The fix here needs to be incremental. You start with the coaches and see what you have. I personally have felt that its only a coaching problem with possibly some scouting problems. With scouting its still more likely a coaching problem evaluating what the scouts have provided. Its amazing how complicated and convoluted this has become. Its simple, fire the coaches, bring in interims, and start evaluating what you have and what you need and don't look back. When you have money limits on players, it becomes a coaching issue. The best coaches will always have the overall best records because they will simply get the most out of what everyone else has.

abbest
12-14-2005, 11:44 AM
Runner I feel it has to be a combination of both more weighted toward offense on the first day and defense the next. Now this depends on what is acquired in the trade down for Reggie Bush of course. I would pernally like to see us take the best OL prospect, a corner/saftey tweener, an interior lineman, and perhaps a pass rushing DE or LB to help with the run and pass rush. Mind you system will play a large part in both as will FA.Remember the Colts before this Year. Get Bush and dominate offenseively now. The defense has too many needs to be addressed and draftees might not be instant producers -ALA Babin-. We have potent weapons on the offense not being utilized and u don`t want a RB that has the potential to score every time he touches the pigskin from all points of the field. You got to be Kidding. Go for the Jugular Bob!!!!!!!

abbest
12-14-2005, 11:50 AM
bleh.. 4 years ago when we got Capers we were happy to have a coach who had built an expansion team before. We all agreed (for the most part) that Capers was a good choice because of his past experience.. and he WAS a defensive genius and HAD taken an expansion team to the playoffs in just a few seasons.

He didnt work out.. but lets try not to act like we all saw it coming and have been saying it for years.I did not like Capers 4 years ago. I was Flabbergasted then. Everyone is on my bandwagon now. wont u join too

Ibar_Harry
12-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Remember the Colts before this Year. Get Bush and dominate offenseively now. The defense has too many needs to be addressed and draftees might not be instant producers -ALA Babin-. We have potent weapons on the offense not being utilized and u don`t want a RB that has the potential to score every time he touches the pigskin from all points of the field. You got to be Kidding. Go for the Jugular Bob!!!!!!!

If you want to do that you better find the best O-line coach you can and get the line functioning. He is a great talent, but you have to have some holes for him to get into the secondary. I still don't think Bush is on OJ, a Peyton, a Sayers or an LT. He's good, but he has a ways to go to be at their level.

Hervoyel
12-14-2005, 11:51 AM

At this point I just want to see this thing go in A direction. I feel like I've been watching the Texans stand still for four years and while I know that isn't completely true this long, sorry, losing season has undermined a lot of my faith that the team was getting anything done.

Offensive direction, defensive direction. I don't care.

Grid
12-14-2005, 11:57 AM
Im with ya there Herv.

When i saw in an interview that Carr didnt know what the identity of the team was (defensive..offensive..rushing..passing..balanced) .. I realized that we werent going anywhere.

We need to establish an identity for this team. We need to decide WHAT we are..and then work towards defining that. I dont care if we go defense..or offense..rushing or passing.. just as long as we have a goal and start making ourselves stronger.

bckey
12-14-2005, 12:09 PM
I did not like Capers 4 years ago. I was Flabbergasted then. Everyone is on my bandwagon now. wont u join too

More than just you didn't like him four years ago. Besides, that is easy to say when you just joined last month.

abbest
12-14-2005, 12:21 PM
If you want to do that you better find the best O-line coach you can and get the line functioning. He is a great talent, but you have to have some holes for him to get into the secondary. I still don't think Bush is on OJ, a Peyton, a Sayers or an LT. He's good, but he has a ways to go to be at their level.You know we may not be seeing the same replays on Bush. My observation sees the the next Gale Sayers-Barry Sanders in the flesh. They did not have superior Hole Punchers either but electrified fans everywhere. Too bad either played on good teams. Pass on him and watch the 49ers or some other loser of the moment become future powerhouse. DO WE WANT TO BE THE TAMPA BAY BUCANEERS WHO TRADED THEIR #1 TO THE HOUSTON OILERS THAT WAS EARL CAMPBELL . I like Dominic Davis but he is no Reggie Bush. Bush would have scored on the same plays that Davis was caught from behind. We Want Bush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Double Barrel
12-14-2005, 12:24 PM
FYI, Bush has not declared his intentions for the draft, and it is not 100% that we'll have the pick. We will have to play San Fran, btw.

abbest
12-14-2005, 12:25 PM
More than just you didn't like him four years ago. Besides, that is easy to say when you just joined last month.Sorry I am new to the Internet scene but I still say Capers brownnosed into his position.

abbest
12-14-2005, 12:28 PM
FYI, Bush has not declared his intentions for the draft, and it is not 100% that we'll have the pick. We will have to play San Fran, btw.Didn`t you see usc-ucla postgame interviews where his stepdad said he is ready for the next level. Bush in 2006 Texan or not. Get ready

Runner
12-14-2005, 12:30 PM

Coaching upgrades aside (which I agree are much needed), we are still going to use our draft picks somewhere.

Double Barrel
12-14-2005, 12:31 PM
Didn`t you see usc-ucla postgame interviews where his stepdad said he is ready for the next level. Bush in 2006 Texan or not. Get ready

yeah, it wouldn't surprise me. However, it would not surprise me to see him say a year longer like his buddy Leinart. USC is the #1, and with his return, could see another run at the title. I couldn't blame him either way.

Bobo
12-14-2005, 12:32 PM

If they are going to fire Capers, I think it would be great to bring in Wade Phillips due to the family history thing. I don't know if he'd succeed, but the same could be said for anybody who would replace Capers. At least it would be interesting to see if Wade could bring in that same magic Bum did.

Texan Asylum
12-14-2005, 12:32 PM
I believe Capers was good in the beginning when we were an infant team
with a host of veterans, but I believe it time for some hard core discipline
and blue collar ball!!!!

Bobo
12-14-2005, 12:33 PM

Um, the guy has been turned down for head coaching jobs on three separate occasions. So add three "knocks" to your tally sheet.

TexasJedi
12-14-2005, 12:35 PM
BTW did anyone see Clayton mention that Mike Williams and Sam Adams might be released by the Bills this offseason? It's obvious that Williams is a bust in Buffalo, but I wonder if he's worth a look.

Runner
12-14-2005, 12:37 PM
I guess my last post got deleted and I admit I got carried away with it. That said, how did this thread turn into a draft Reggie thread anyways?

I had it turned for awhile. At least now there is some surprise if it turns into a draft bush OR Reeves as GM thread.

Bobo
12-14-2005, 12:38 PM

Reeves, Phillips and, yes, Capers would be much, much better than Kubiak. Why in the blue blazes would you want to bring in a guy who has never been an NFL coach before and allow him to "cut his teeth" on our team? If they hired Kubiak, I might not renew my season tickets. He would be a disaster and would mean many more bad, bad seasons.

Coach C.
12-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Bobo what is your reason for saying Kubiak would not be a good HC. The other teams that consistently go after him and he tells no are they worst teams than ours. Phillips is a good coach and Capers is done here. Kubiak is an offensive coach that has been mentored by Shanahan and taken his QBs to the next level. Kubiak and Phillips are hometown guys that would be great fits here in Texas. Kubiak brings SB rings and Phillips brings experience so why not go after them both if it is possible. I dont think we could go wrong with either.

eriadoc
12-14-2005, 12:46 PM
Um, the guy has been turned down for head coaching jobs on three separate occasions. So add three "knocks" to your tally sheet.

Name them.

I have read news articles that state that he has turned down three different head coaching positions and declined to interview for the New England Patriots job. The only job he's been turned down for was the Houston Texans. Kubiak removed his name from consideration for the Lions position, stating that he wanted to coach the Texans or remain in Denver. He turned down the HC position for the Univ. of Colorado. He declined to interview for the NE Pats job. He turned down the Saints job that Haslett ended up with.

Double Barrel
12-14-2005, 12:48 PM
Reeves, Phillips and, yes, Capers would be much, much better than Kubiak. Why in the blue blazes would you want to bring in a guy who has never been an NFL coach before and allow him to "cut his teeth" on our team?

Just about every NFL head coach was a coordinator at one time, including your boy Capers.

abbest
12-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Reeves, Phillips and, yes, Capers would be much, much better than Kubiak. Why in the blue blazes would you want to bring in a guy who has never been an NFL coach before and allow him to "cut his teeth" on our team? If they hired Kubiak, I might not renew my season tickets. He would be a disaster and would mean many more bad, bad seasons.Didn`t you know Kubiak is the Assistant Head Coach in Denver when they won two Super Bowls. He may be an ***** but no less than whats here

El Tejano
12-14-2005, 02:18 PM
Did anyone ever think that it might be hard to get a real good coach because Dan Reeves is here now. I mean who would want to work under someone who could fire and replace you with himself whenever he wanted to.

Coach C.
12-14-2005, 02:23 PM
I think Reeves is one of the most respected and stand-up guys in the business. If he is the GM and he brings in a coach it is likely Reeves is going to do everything in his power to make sure that coach has a long and successful tenure.

Bobo
12-14-2005, 02:33 PM
Bobo what is your reason for saying Kubiak would not be a good HC. The other teams that consistently go after him and he tells no are they worst teams than ours. Phillips is a good coach and Capers is done here. Kubiak is an offensive coach that has been mentored by Shanahan and taken his QBs to the next level. Kubiak and Phillips are hometown guys that would be great fits here in Texas. Kubiak brings SB rings and Phillips brings experience so why not go after them both if it is possible. I dont think we could go wrong with either.

A.) I wouldn't say that Capers is done here. McNair has yet to pull the trigger on him and could very well have by simply making Reeves the HC, but he didn't do that. Capers may very well survive. B.) Anybody could have made Elway look great. Kubiak has had some real stinkers of seasons himself and even with some good teams recently hasn't gotten them past the first round in the playoffs. C.) Those Super Bowl rings came a long time ago during the Elway era. D.) Kubiak has been turned away by three different teams and I don't want to see him "cut his teeth" with a team that I pay good money to see every week. Like I said, if he takes over, I may not renew my season tix. He is a disaster waiting to manifest himself. E.) If Capers must be replaced, Phillips would be the much, much better choice due to his extensive HC and total NFL experience.

Bobo
12-14-2005, 02:36 PM
Didn`t you know Kubiak is the Assistant Head Coach in Denver when they won two Super Bowls. He may be an ***** but no less than whats here

With Elway as your QB, even YOU could do well as a HC. I would much rather have Capers. He brought excitement to this franchise for the first three years of his tenure and his success actually may prove to be his undoing as expectations got so high that they were impossible to meet and thus the collapse was all the more hard to fathom and swallow.

Bobo
12-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Just about every NFL head coach was a coordinator at one time, including your boy Capers.

Capers had several years of experience as a HC before coming to Houston. I don't want to pay money to see some guy "cut his teeth" on my team and you shouldn't, either. If you are gonna replace Capers, then replace him with Phillips or even Reeves -- though I don't think Reeves would be a wise replacement due to his bad HC record at the end of his tenure and his poor health. Still, he and Capers would be better than Kubiak. Kubiak has been living off of other people's success in Denver. He hasn't shown he has any ability to do anything on his own. He should just stay in Denver until he retires. He's found his niche -- he should just stay there.

Coach C.
12-14-2005, 02:44 PM
A.) I wouldn't say that Capers is done here. McNair has yet to pull the trigger on him and could very well have by simply making Reeves the HC, but he didn't do that. Capers may very well survive. B.) Anybody could have made Elway look great. Kubiak has had some real stinkers of seasons himself and even with some good teams recently hasn't gotten them past the first round in the playoffs. C.) Those Super Bowl rings came a long time ago during the Elway era. D.) Kubiak has been turned away by three different teams and I don't want to see him "cut his teeth" with a team that I pay good money to see every week. Like I said, if he takes over, I may not renew my season tix. He is a disaster waiting to manifest himself. E.) If Capers must be replaced, Phillips would be the much, much better choice due to his extensive HC and total NFL experience.

A> You dont keep a coach that does not win and is so loyal to his guys that he will forgoe winning that making the right moves
B> Elway was great, and Kubiak has consistently kept the Broncos offense in the top half of the NFL.
C> SB rings are SB rings no matter when they came It is a sign of doing enough to win
D> Kubiak has been courted by 4 teams does that trump your turned away, I am not really arguing this point, because even Coach B. of the Patriots was turned away by teams, they are looking pretty dumb now though. Plus you have to start somewhere, Crennel is "cutting his teeth" really well right now with a team with less talent than ours
E> Phillips would be a great hire either would be great, my thought is that they would be looking offense rather than defense. A good defensive coach is easier to find than a good offensive coach.

Dont get me wrong Bobo I think Phillips or Kubiak would be great. I would prefer either over Capers. I just think they go in an offensive direction. Thank you for explaining your position more indepth instead of just coming back with some stupid emotional response as some due on the board...

Bobo
12-14-2005, 04:54 PM
A> You dont keep a coach that does not win and is so loyal to his guys that he will forgoe winning that making the right moves
B> Elway was great, and Kubiak has consistently kept the Broncos offense in the top half of the NFL.
C> SB rings are SB rings no matter when they came It is a sign of doing enough to win
D> Kubiak has been courted by 4 teams does that trump your turned away, I am not really arguing this point, because even Coach B. of the Patriots was turned away by teams, they are looking pretty dumb now though. Plus you have to start somewhere, Crennel is "cutting his teeth" really well right now with a team with less talent than ours
E> Phillips would be a great hire either would be great, my thought is that they would be looking offense rather than defense. A good defensive coach is easier to find than a good offensive coach.

Dont get me wrong Bobo I think Phillips or Kubiak would be great. I would prefer either over Capers. I just think they go in an offensive direction. Thank you for explaining your position more indepth instead of just coming back with some stupid emotional response as some due on the board...

A.) Capers has done very well for three years here, considering the fact that he took the team from scratch. Yes, this year was awful, but Cowher had a stinker of a season a couple of years ago as well.
B.) If you've got a killer of a team behind you, anybody could win a SB ring. Especially if you have Elway as a QB.
C.) He was "courted" by teams but never did get the HC job.
D.) You can win championships by scoring less than 20 points if your defense is good enough to be better than that. Teams with offense and no defense never get too far in the NFL. The Colts never became SB contenders until they got the D together.

tulexan
12-14-2005, 05:08 PM
Reeves, Phillips and, yes, Capers would be much, much better than Kubiak. Why in the blue blazes would you want to bring in a guy who has never been an NFL coach before and allow him to "cut his teeth" on our team?

Very rarely will you have a guy start his career at Head Coach. Bill Bellicheck was a coordinator for Parcells. Gruden was a coordinator for Holmgren, Mariucci was a coordinator for Holmgren. Mike Shanahan was a coordinator for both Dan Reeves and George Seifert. The list goes on and on. A coach has to get his start somewhere.

Bobo
12-14-2005, 05:12 PM
Very rarely will you have a guy start his career at Head Coach. Bill Bellicheck was a coordinator for Parcells. Gruden was a coordinator for Holmgren, Mariucci was a coordinator for Holmgren. Mike Shanahan was a coordinator for both Dan Reeves and George Seifert. The list goes on and on. A coach has to get his start somewhere.

Fine, but not here. Let him cut his teeth elsewhere, like New Orleans. I pay good money to take my wife and myself to see the Texans games via season tix and I don't want to see them taken over by a rookie HC. It would be disastrous.

Vinny
12-14-2005, 05:14 PM
Fine, but not here. Let him cut his teeth elsewhere, like New Orleans. I pay good money to take my wife and myself to see the Texans games via season tix and I don't want to see them taken over by a rookie HC. It would be disastrous.Like Jim Mora Jr was such a disaster in Atlanta right? He went 11-5 record, won the NFC South Division title, and went to the NFC Championship Game. Pretty good teeth cutting there.

tulexan
12-14-2005, 05:15 PM
Lovie Smith isn't doing too bad in Chicago considering their lack of talent on offense.

Bobo
12-14-2005, 05:22 PM
Like Jim Mora Jr was such a disaster in Atlanta right? He went 11-5 record, won the NFC South Division title, and went to the NFC Championship Game. Pretty good teeth cutting there.

For every one of those stories there are hundreds of others that ended differently. I don't want to pay to see a team where the coach is "getting his feet wet." I'm putting money on the line here to watch a good product and if all I'm going to get is some guy who has as much NFL head coaching experience as I do, then it not only would be a waste of money on my part -- it would be a waste of time. There are plenty of better choices out there -- including Capers. No need to get a rookie HC in here who will be experimenting his way to more double-digit loss seasons.

Vinny
12-14-2005, 05:24 PM
Then don't pay. Stay away. Everyone has an opinion but if you won't buy a ticket because of the choice of coach...by all means, stay home and enjoy yourself. Life is too short to get all diseased in the mind over a young coach.

infantrycak
12-14-2005, 05:35 PM
I don't want to pay to see a team where the coach is "getting his feet wet." I'm putting money on the line here to watch a good product and if all I'm going to get is some guy who has as much NFL head coaching experience as I do, then it not only would be a waste of money on my part -- it would be a waste of time. There are plenty of better choices out there -- including Capers. No need to get a rookie HC in here who will be experimenting his way to more double-digit loss seasons.

Great--throw enough generalities against the wall and eventually you have vapor lock of the cranial cavity. Tom Landry had no head coaching experience--all he did was go on to develop the 4-3 and flex defenses, have 20 consecutive winning seasons, 5 super bowl trips and 2 wins, etc.--oh and that was with an expansion team as a defensive guru.

TexanAlmighty
12-14-2005, 06:02 PM
Reeves, Phillips and, yes, Capers would be much, much better than Kubiak. Why in the blue blazes would you want to bring in a guy who has never been an NFL coach before and allow him to "cut his teeth" on our team? If they hired Kubiak, I might not renew my season tickets. He would be a disaster and would mean many more bad, bad seasons.

The don't renew them, stay at home and watch the games. I'll be there 100% behind my Texans win or lose or even if Capers(I don't think he will be though)is back.

Bobo
12-14-2005, 06:03 PM
Great--throw enough generalities against the wall and eventually you have vapor lock of the cranial cavity. Tom Landry had no head coaching experience--all he did was go on to develop the 4-3 and flex defenses, have 20 consecutive winning seasons, 5 super bowl trips and 2 wins, etc.--oh and that was with an expansion team as a defensive guru.

Wouldn't you have to say this was the exception rather than the rule? Kubiak's NFL credentials are fine on the offensive part of the game. I would have no problem bringing him in as a OC. But he is out of his element as a HC and his ties to the area aren't based on NFL experience. He has no attraction at all to me as a head coach due to his lack of credentials and no reason for me to come out and support him as a person who is part of the Houston NFL football tradition. Let the Aggies hire him as their HC -- that would be a better fit for them and heaven knows they could use somebody there.

Bobo
12-14-2005, 06:08 PM
Then don't pay. Stay away. Everyone has an opinion but if you won't buy a ticket because of the choice of coach...by all means, stay home and enjoy yourself. Life is too short to get all diseased in the mind over a young coach.

Why do you say I am "diseased in the mind" if I choose not to renew season tix based on a coaching change? I think this is just as good a reason as any other. I don't see a Houston NFL connection in Kubiak, nor do I see any NFL head coaching experience, nor do I see any success coming from a guy who would be "cutting his teeth" on a team I have spent good money on for the past four years. I see him as a really, really bad choice. If that's being "diseased in the mind," then so be it.

infantrycak
12-14-2005, 06:12 PM
Wouldn't you have to say this was the exception rather than the rule? Kubiak's NFL credentials are fine on the offensive part of the game. I would have no problem bringing him in as a OC. But he is out of his element as a HC and his ties to the area aren't based on NFL experience. He has no attraction at all to me as a head coach due to his lack of credentials and no reason for me to come out and support him as a person who is part of the Houston NFL football tradition. Let the Aggies hire him as their HC -- that would be a better fit for them and heaven knows they could use somebody there.

Landry is exceptional, but I don't think the rule should be changed--you look for who you think has the best chance of making the team better whether that be a guy with experience or a young guy on the way up. IMO generalities about not wanting retreads or about not wanting anyone without HC experience are equally silly and ignore the merits of a very small pool really of people who should be evaluated on an individual rather than arbitrary rule basis.

As for Houston tradition--IMO that is imposing yet another arbitrary rule which inherently limits the team and lowers the chance of excellence. I'd rather have McNair hire the best guy and have them build a Houston tradition of excellence than hire a guy with lots of Houston connections to lay bricks of mediocrity.

Bobo
12-14-2005, 06:20 PM
Landry is exceptional, but I don't think the rule should be changed--you look for who you think has the best chance of making the team better whether that be a guy with experience or a young guy on the way up. IMO generalities about not wanting retreads or about not wanting anyone without HC experience are equally silly and ignore the merits of a very small pool really of people who should be evaluated on an individual rather than arbitrary rule basis.

As for Houston tradition--IMO that is imposing yet another arbitrary rule which inherently limits the team and lowers the chance of excellence. I'd rather have McNair hire the best guy and have them build a Houston tradition of excellence than hire a guy with lots of Houston connections to lay bricks of mediocrity.

I don't see the Houston tradition as an "arbitrary rule" at all. Let's face it . Whomever they bring in here *if* they fire Capers -- and that's a big IF -- will have huge question marks surrounding him. Since that is the case, then why not bring in a guy with connections to the rich Houston NFL football tradition such as Wade Phillips? After all, we don't know how any new coach would do in 2006 -- any of them might end up doing poorly. They all have negatives or else they wouldn't be available. However, a guy with attachments to Houston NFL football in the past will generate excitement and loyalty from folks who know Bayou City football.

infantrycak
12-14-2005, 06:24 PM
I don't see the Houston tradition as an "arbitrary rule" at all. Let's face it . Whomever they bring in here *if* they fire Capers -- and that's a big IF -- will have huge question marks surrounding him. Since that is the case, then why not bring in a guy with connections to the rich Houston NFL football tradition such as Wade Phillips? After all, we don't know how any new coach would do in 2006 -- any of them might end up doing poorly. They all have negatives or else they wouldn't be available. However, a guy with attachments to Houston NFL football in the past will generate excitement and loyalty from folks who know Bayou City football.

I don't have anything against Phillips in particular, but it is pretty simple--if you can look at 1 million potential candidates you are more likely to find excellence than if you look at 10. Set enough arbitrary rules and your pool reduces to nothing.

Bobo
12-14-2005, 06:33 PM
I don't have anything against Phillips in particular, but it is pretty simple--if you can look at 1 million potential candidates you are more likely to find excellence than if you look at 10. Set enough arbitrary rules and your pool reduces to nothing.

But if everything is equal -- and everything is equal since there are negatives with all the candidates -- then why not choose a guy who has attachments to the great Houston NFL football tradition? Especially when those attachments include being the son of one of the most popular guys in Houston NFL history?

eriadoc
12-15-2005, 12:47 AM
Bobo, I'm not going to get into the fallacy of all your posts on this thread, but I would like you to clear one thing up for me. You have stated twice in this thread that Kubiak was courted for HC jobs and was turned down. I want you to elaborate. I know that Kubiak declined to be interviewed for the NE job that Belichick ended up with. I know that Kubiak withdrew his name from consideration for the Saints position that Haslett ended up with, stating that he wanted to coach the Texans or stay in Denver. I know that he turned down the CU head coach position. I know he didn't take the Browns job of his own volition. I know he was turned down for the Texans position, but it was largely because Capers was thought to have great experience with an expansion team - not necessarily because Kubiak wasn't HC material.

What other job(s) besides the Texans job did he get rejected for, exactly? I'm sincerely curious, because I don't claim to have followed this guy's career forever. I have followed it enough to know that he coached Steve Young to his best year ever, made Brian Griese (yeah, THAT Brian Griese) into a Pro Bowler, and has turned Jake Plummer into an amazingly effective QB. I know his offense has posted some pretty incredible numbers during his tenure there, even in the PE years (post-Elway), and I know he's been mentored by a coach that's won at every level of football and vouches for him unconditionally.

From where I'm sitting, it looks like he has credentials, but a run of teams denying him HC positions might be the tarnish I need to change that opinion. You chose to ignore my previous post about this and went on to make the same assertion, I would just like to see some data to back up your claim is all.

tulexan
12-15-2005, 12:56 AM
Young, Elway, Plummer

Sounds like Kubiak has experience and success with mobile quarterbacks. Wait a second, we have a mobile quarterback who is struggling.

HJam72
12-15-2005, 01:50 AM
....instead of just coming back with some stupid emotional response as some due on the board...

Hey!!! Your mama! :)

Get Kubiak. My :twocents:

utahmark
12-15-2005, 10:56 AM

thats the best thing ive heard in months.

Ranger
12-15-2005, 06:57 PM
Dan Reeves was hired as a consultant.

Dan Reeves was not hired to fire anybody. Thats Mr. McNair's job.

Dan Reeves was not hired to hire anybody. That is Mr. McNair's job.

Dan Reeves was hired to evaluate the team and thell Mr. McNair, his long time friend, what he thinks of his struggling football team. He is here to give his opinion on what he thinks of Capers, of Casserly, and the players on this football team.

He is not putting a gun to McNair's head and saying "Fire Capers and make me head coach" or "Fire Casserely and make me GM". All these decesions will be made by the head honcho himself, Mr. McNair. Those are his decesions to make because he writes the paycheck. If Capers and/or Casserely is fired, its not going to be because Dan Reeves told him to. If we hire Wade Phillips and not Greg Kubiak it will not be because Dan Reeves told him to. Yes, Dan Reeves will give his opinion, and McNair will listen. But these are McNair's decesions and his alone.

John Clayton's job for ESPN is to speculate on rumors. They are supposed to entice the fans and to make them keep watching the network. And thats what these are are rumors. That is his job to think this stuff up. Not a word of it could be true. I would be happy with Phillips as head coach. Or Kubiak. But there is a lot more to a head coach that make the team successful. Its the GM, the scouts, the assisstant coaches, hell even the water boy. It is so stupid to say that one man is gonna make this team a super bowl contender or a lock for the 1st pick in the draft for years to come.

Erratic Assassin
12-15-2005, 07:42 PM
Kubiak, Wade Phillips, Dan Reeves? How depressing!

I'd rather keep Capers until someone better comes along. At least it's entertaining to watch him stand on the sidelines with his mouth wide open like a kid watching his first magic trick.

keyfro
12-15-2005, 08:24 PM
how about this...dan reeves is the new GM...hires Gary Kubiak to be the HC and Wade Phillips the DC and assisstant head coach...pay phillips more money than san diego and let him have total control over the defense

sax_49
12-16-2005, 09:33 AM
Phillips is good with the front seven. Hopefully, if he does end up coaching us, can bring in a good secondary coach. Meanwhile, I still want someone to get this offense in the right direction.

I think Wade is too nice a guy to have in charge. They need someone to come in and kick some rear ends. If they don't execute it falls back on who? The man in charge.