PDA

View Full Version : Dan Reeves Hired!!!

Coach C.
12-12-2005, 02:01 PM
Ex-Falcons coach Dan Reeves has been hired by Mr. McNair to be a consultant for the Texans. Reeves job description will be to evaluate talent of players and other personell not specified. There will be a press conference coming soon. It is good to see McNair bring in older coaches to check out our players. Reeves has taken two teams to the Superbowl and has been a legitimate winner in this league. This should be a step in the right direction and provide insight into the true talent depth of our franchise.

Hardcore Texan
12-12-2005, 02:06 PM
Ex-Falcons coach Dan Reeves has been hired by Mr. McNair to be a consultant for the Texans. Reeves job description will be to evaluate talent of players and other personell not specified. There will be a press conference coming soon. It is good to see McNair bring in older coaches to check out our players. Reeves has taken two teams to the Superbowl and has been a legitimate winner in this league. This should be a step in the right direction and provide insight into the true talent depth of our franchise.

If indeed this happens:
This is GREAT for our franchise. I wouldn't be against him moving in as Head Coach either.

But I agree, we need someone like him to help us get back on track.

Thanks for the Info.

:texflag:

TexanAlmighty
12-12-2005, 02:07 PM
Do you have a link???????

Coach C.
12-12-2005, 02:08 PM
He is a consultant. I do not know if he is considered as a possible HC. This is not an If it has already happened.

OzzO
12-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Do you have a link???????

Ditto. News like this, should be a given.

Coach C.
12-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Mark Berman, Fox 26 News. that is my link... You will have to wait till the press conference for the official word.

TexanAlmighty
12-12-2005, 02:13 PM
Mark Berman, Fox 26 News. that is my link...

Cool. Thanks for the info but we need some type of link. Something....

texasguy346
12-12-2005, 02:13 PM
I really don't know whether or not he'd be wanting to be more than a consultant. I caught an interview he had on Outside The Lines a little while back, and he mentioned something about how he couldn't put the amount of time in that a HC position would require anymore. I would be glad to see him helping this organization get back on track though.

HardKnockTexan
12-12-2005, 02:14 PM
nothing listed on KFFL.com yet... but if this is true THANK GOD! it's nice to have McNair put a proven winner in the front office! :texflag:

Vinny
12-12-2005, 02:16 PM
I heard it from a friend as well. No link but he's not pulling my leg.

HardKnockTexan
12-12-2005, 02:17 PM
This definentally makes me wonder how much longer Mr. Casserly will be wearing the GM hat...

DRAMA
12-12-2005, 02:20 PM
Nice break, Coach C. :texflag:

Coach C.
12-12-2005, 02:24 PM
thanx vinny for backing me on this one. I would have waited, but I thought the MB might as well know. The press conference should be later on today or tomorrow. From what I hear Reeves is a consultant and has no real interest in coaching due to his heart problems. McNair "might" be looking at him as a replacement for Casserly though. Reeves and McNair are alumni of South Carolina so they have a good history. Should be interesting.

Hervoyel
12-12-2005, 02:42 PM
I welcome any other potential football mind to come to the table and help our teams owner by giving him an alternative opinion to Charlie Casserly. Even if he concurs with everything Casserly says (independently) I still think it's a great thing to bring someone else in to help Bob figure out what needs fixing. It's particularly good if Reeves honestly does have no internal desire to coach or seize any kind of power. As an unbiased consultant and friend of McNair he'll be invaluable.

TexanAlmighty
12-12-2005, 02:50 PM
Cool. I to have to wonder about the future of Casserly. What message does this send to Casserly?? WOW, What a turn of events.

COOL!

Thanks for the info Coach C.:texflag:

Vinny
12-12-2005, 02:50 PM
I just got a cryptic email telling me to tune in at 3:30 so I assume that is when the Texans officially announce this hiring.

Coach C.
12-12-2005, 02:53 PM
Hey Vinny I finally beat you to the punch once. Still not close to your tenure, but working on becoming a well respected poster. Also, just got an email bout 10 minutes ago. Seems like the offseason may start a little early. Cant wait to meet Coach Reeves.

Porky
12-12-2005, 02:55 PM
I say nanana nanana hey hey hey Goodbye...Charlie.

I say hire Reeves as GM, and get rid of Charlie, who has detroyed this team.

I also hope part of his evalution is to let Mcnair know what a fraud David Carr is an NFL QB....at least so far. This is a guy who coached John Elway and knows a real NFL QB when he sees one. I think Cass has been blowing smoke up Mcnair's chimney telling him that Carr is about to break out any time now. Cass doesn't look too good if Carr is a bum does he?

This is the most excited I have been about anything off the field since....well since I cannot remember. Reeves for GM! :texflag:

tulexan
12-12-2005, 02:55 PM
I like Dan Reeves. I think his firing was a little unwarranted because they didn't have Michael Vick for most of the year and I think he did a good job of setting up this team that has had pretty good success in Atlanta.

Kaiser Toro
12-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Terrific news! Reeves will come in and most likely shadow Capers and staff and help with the pink slips. I still feel that Cass will be back next year.

It will interesting how McNair defines his role and authority and how long he has that capacity.

Thanks for the catch Coach and back up V.

C Madd
12-12-2005, 02:59 PM
This is good news because it shows the team is wanting to try and change directions. I read about this rumor earlier today on profootballtalk, but didn't think it would be Reeves. Pleasant surprise.

TheRealJoker
12-12-2005, 03:01 PM
Awesome!!!

eriadoc
12-12-2005, 03:05 PM
:woot:

:dance:

Runner
12-12-2005, 03:05 PM
I hope he has the authority to insist Wand and Armstrong get playing time over the inferior players that have been playing in front of them all year. Maybe Murphy'll be active again too, since apparently Pendry never forgave him for Pitts' false start a couple of weeks ago.

tulexan
12-12-2005, 03:10 PM
Reeves was a big proponent of the thunder and lightning running back system. He set up the successful tandem of Duckett and Dunn.

nflnutswife
12-12-2005, 03:10 PM
Wow, anyone else feel this fresh breeze flow this stuufy room?:texflag:

Wharton
12-12-2005, 03:11 PM
Yeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaa!

:)

Vinny
http://archives.umc.org/interior.asp?mid=7013

Coach C.
This is good news and should be pretty solid for the team in general. Also RealJoker Yves Edwards is a beast in the octagon. Holla atcha boy. MT Boxing is my heart kid. Vinny I have heard one of his speeches the guy tells alot about his faith and how it guided him through some tough times in his life. He is a stand up guy, who will admit his mistakes and failures, and try to teach others to learn from them so they can be successful.

Kaiser Toro
Reeves, a former NFL player and coach, last appeared in the league as the head coach of the Atlanta Falcons. The current record-holder for the most Super Bowl appearances as a player and coach with nine, Reeves was drafted as a quarterback out of the University of South Carolina by the Dallas Cowboys in 1965. After being slowed by injuries, Reeves retired from playing in 1972 and took several position coaching jobs before becoming the head coach of the Denver Broncos in 1981. Reeves' career coaching record is 201-174-2, including an 11-9 record in the playoffs.

C Madd
Reeves was a big proponent of the thunder and lightning running back system. He set up the successful tandem of Duckett and Dunn.
Beautiful.

Vinny
12-12-2005, 03:13 PM
John McClain is on 610am right now calling it the first "really dumb move" by McNair.

Runner
12-12-2005, 03:14 PM
John McClain is on 610am right now calling it the first "really dumb move" by McNair.

I'd like to hear the logic behind that position.

Kaiser Toro
12-12-2005, 03:15 PM
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/13967239p-14801327c.html

Q: Earlier this week, you talked about possibly bringing someone in with experience into the front office for you to bounce ideas off of. Don't you use (former head coach) Dan Reeves in that capacity?

A: I will always use the guys that I have a tremendous amount of respect for. Dan has been through some of the things I've had to deal with. But he's also been through Super Bowls that he's lost in bad ways - he's got a tremendous amount of experience. (Ravens coach) Brian Billick has a lot of experience. I call on them. But that's different than having your own people.

rmartin65
12-12-2005, 03:15 PM
This is good.

MightyTExan
12-12-2005, 03:16 PM
Light at the end of the tunnel?

Kaiser Toro
12-12-2005, 03:16 PM

Since it is a firesale around here I may start a Fire John McClain thread. What a tool.

Frills
12-12-2005, 03:18 PM
He's just saying that if you don't trust your own guys, fire them first, then hire Reeves

Kaiser Toro
12-12-2005, 03:22 PM
He's just saying that if you don't trust your own guys, fire them first, then hire Reeves

Which would be assinine with three games left. Hence, he is a tool.

tulexan
12-12-2005, 03:22 PM
what does this say about charlie casserly? bob mcnair has to bring someone in to give him opinions on what he thinks is in the best interest of the team. why pay two guys to do one thing?

if you don't trust the guy to make decisions then get rid of him and put a more competent person in the position.

Runner
12-12-2005, 03:24 PM

I'd have to disagree with that logic, since he apparently isn't bringing in the next coach if Reeves is truly here to evaluate talent. This evaluation is something the staff has proven to be inept in, and I don't think there is anything wrong with McNair holding them accountable for their poor performance. It's not like he's looking over the shoulder of a successful staff.

This is a way for McNair to protect the future of his team, since he can't rely on the current staff to perform competent and/or fair evaluations.

Runner
12-12-2005, 03:26 PM
what does this say about charlie casserly? bob mcnair has to bring someone in to give him opinions on what he thinks is in the best interest of the team. why pay two guys to do one thing?

if you don't trust the guy to make decisions then get rid of him and put a more competent person in the position.

Well, I'm pretty certain that the coaches are not playing the players that Casserly wants on the field. Maybe Reeves will vindicate Casserly's evaluation of talent, if not his unwillingness to impose his will on the coaching staff. (or vice versa, of course)

aj.
12-12-2005, 03:26 PM
This is about as big a 'no confidence' vote you could give Casserly without outright firing him. It's similar to when Dom brought in Pendry. Shocking and a bit strange.

Put this together with this McNair quote from the Justice article the other day and it's clear McNair is publicly hanging his GM out to dry.

When you're new, I think there's a feeling you have to do everything your football people tell you. You hear, 'Well, you haven't been in the NFL for 20 years, so you couldn't possibly know. That's not the way we do it in the NFL.'

I wouldn't be surprised if this starts a chain of events leading to Casserly's resignation. Casserly's contract is up soon anyway isn't it? He was hired in early '00 so he will hit the 6 year mark in a few weeks.

playoff year please
12-12-2005, 03:27 PM
Is it possible that Casserley has been fired and we don't know it yet?

cadahnic
12-12-2005, 03:29 PM
I doubt Casserly is going anywhere. I think Reeves is simply to evaluate talent and procedures to help McNair get things back on track. I would not mind him as the GM and Reeves would also know how to get the most out of Carr.

MightyTExan
12-12-2005, 03:29 PM

One can only hope.........................

WWJD
12-12-2005, 03:31 PM
Was Kubiak with the Broncos when Coach Reeves was? Perhaps he will be the heir apparent coach to be with Reeves as GM.

tulexan
12-12-2005, 03:32 PM
Was Kubiak with the Broncos when Coach Reeves was? Perhaps he will be the heir apparent coach to be with Reeves as GM.

I was just about to say that.

Mean Machine
Greta news!
I can see Coach Reeves moving to the GM position/Head Coach and Dom being sort of an asst Head Coach/Def coordinator....
who knows, but the USC connection is HUGE with Mr McNair.

cadahnic

Sweet Aunt Jemaima that would be sweet.

DRAMA
12-12-2005, 03:33 PM
http://archives.umc.org/interior.asp?mid=7013

He's always been very spiritual. In his interviews, he's always been very clear that the Lord is responsible for everything he's accomplished. With McNair being a solid Christian himself, this hire makes perfect sense for Mr. McNair.

Kaiser Toro
12-12-2005, 03:34 PM

He joined the Broncs with Shanny in 1995

WWJD
12-12-2005, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the info.

Runner
12-12-2005, 03:35 PM
He joined the Broncs with Shanny in 1995

So we can't add Elway as QB coach and Sharpe as TE coach to the rampant speculation because we'd be mixing too many Denver eras?

Nawzer
12-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Looks like another exciting off season is ahead of us...sad. But what will Dan Reeves advice Mr.McNair? That our o-line sucks? Our defense is horrible? Our coaching staff is inept? These are things we all know already and we don't need an outside advisor to point these things out.

TexanAlmighty

Capers may be fired??

It is his press conference @3:30.

Kaiser Toro
So we can't add Elway as QB coach and Sharpe as TE coach to the rampant speculation because we'd be mixing too many Denver eras?

Nice. :)

TexanAlmighty
12-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Sorry for doubting u Coach C. I will no more.

Again Thanks for the info.............:texflag:

Johnny Utah
12-12-2005, 03:41 PM
I say nanana nanana hey hey hey Goodbye...Charlie.

I say hire Reeves as GM, and get rid of Charlie, who has detroyed this team.

I also hope part of his evalution is to let Mcnair know what a fraud David Carr is an NFL QB....at least so far. This is a guy who coached John Elway and knows a real NFL QB when he sees one. I think Cass has been blowing smoke up Mcnair's chimney telling him that Carr is about to break out any time now. Cass doesn't look too good if Carr is a bum does he?

This is the most excited I have been about anything off the field since....well since I cannot remember. Reeves for GM! :texflag:

I remember a while back I saw an interview that Elway never really liked Reeves as a coach and didn't excel until Shanahan was his coach. I'm not entirely sold if McNair is bringing in Reeves as a head coach, but I'm all for him becoming our next GM.

Kaiser Toro
12-12-2005, 03:42 PM
Dom Capers: You see Dan, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

Dan Reeves: Don't... don't care?

Dom Capers: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my *** off and we win a few more games, I don't see another dime, so where's the motivation? And here's another thing, I have eight different bosses right now.

Dan Reeves: Eight?

Dom Capers: Eight, Dan. So that means when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that, and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Dan, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

Johnny Utah
12-12-2005, 03:44 PM
Dom Capers: You see Dan, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

Dan Reeves: Don't... don't care?

Dom Capers: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my *** off and we win a few more games, I don't see another dime, so where's the motivation? And here's another thing, I have eight different bosses right now.

Dan Reeves: Eight?

Dom Capers: Eight, Dan. So that means when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled, that, and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Dan, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

http://www.myonestoprealty.com/consultant.gif

Hervoyel
12-12-2005, 03:46 PM
At the press conference it will be announced that Dom Capers is giving McNair his resignation as HC. Bob's close personal friend will be coming in to serve as the head coach for the final three weeks of the season to determine whether or not Dom Capers had anything to work with and that will result in Charlie Casserly's evaluation. Then Reeves will stay on as an advisor while Bob McNair begins searching for a new head coach and possibly a new GM.

Ok so I'm hoping for a big splash.

Johnny Utah
12-12-2005, 03:49 PM
At the press conference it will be announced that Dom Capers is giving McNair his resignation as HC. Bob's close personal friend will be coming in to serve as the head coach for the final three weeks of the season to determine whether or not Dom Capers had anything to work with and that will result in Charlie Casserly's evaluation. Then Reeves will stay on as an advisor while Bob McNair begins searching for a new head coach and possibly a new GM.

Ok so I'm hoping for a big splash.

Hopefully, McNair is bringing in Reeves as a temperorary HC so he can make sure the rest of the season will get tanked. Dom has nothing to loose since he won't be here next year, and he might lead the Texans to a win which would kill their chances of getting Bush. Brilliant move by McNair.

eric138
12-12-2005, 03:53 PM
610 just said after Dom's regular conference, McNair will have his own press conference announcing the new changes..

HardKnockTexan
12-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Texans | Reeves to be hired to help McNair
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:33:32 -0800

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Houston Texans will announce they have hired longtime NFL head coach Dan Reeves as a consultant to owner Bob McNair. Reeves is not being hired to replace current head coach Dom Capers. The hiring gives McNair an independent, yet experienced, NFL mind to help with the team's problems. A team spokesman said Texans will announce the move at a 4:30 p.m. EST press conference.

Taken from www.KFFL.com

eric138
12-12-2005, 03:56 PM
"I’ve known Dan for a very long time, said Texans owner Bob McNair. “We would like to have him evaluate our team and give us his opinion as to how close we are to being a winning team. We have our thoughts as to what we need and we look forward to hearing Dan’s independent evaluation and comments. He knows what it takes to get to the Super Bowl and that is our goal. I think that he can be a valuable resource for us as we go through this process.”
-Texans website.

Hervoyel
12-12-2005, 03:57 PM
LOSE is spelled "lose" as in "The Texans are going to lose this game, again."

LOOSE is spelled "loose" as in "Kris Brown should get loose before he tries to kick or he'll miss"

LOSS is spelled "loss" as in "The Texans need one more loss to secure the #1 pick in the draft".

Johnny Utah
12-12-2005, 04:00 PM
"Ive known Dan for a very long time, said Texans owner Bob McNair. We would like to have him evaluate our team and give us his opinion as to how close we are to being a winning team. We have our thoughts as to what we need and we look forward to hearing Dans independent evaluation and comments. He knows what it takes to get to the Super Bowl and that is our goal. I think that he can be a valuable resource for us as we go through this process.
-Texans website.

I think Dan Reeves opinion will be to fire Dom Capers at the end of the season and make himself head coach.

MightyTExan
12-12-2005, 04:10 PM
I don't like the picture of Dan on the official site.
I think Dan would look better in a Texans shirt\sweater...............:texflag:

Meisterman
12-12-2005, 04:10 PM
I Hope The First Evaluation Reeves gives to McNair is on Charlie Casserly :)

TEXANS84
12-12-2005, 04:13 PM
I Hope The First Evaluation Reeves gives to McNair is on Charlie Casserly :)

I would assume that his position would be the first evaluated.

edo783
12-12-2005, 04:13 PM
I think Dan Reeves opinion will be to fire Dom Capers at the end of the season and make himself head coach.

Fire Capers....Yes, but I doubt Dan wants a HC gig. He has a bad ticker and has said he doesn't want all that stress. Now GM......MMM, that might not be a bad deal. MUCH shorter hours and other than the FA & Draft periods, shouldn't be so loaded with stress.

TigerV1
12-12-2005, 04:16 PM
I don't see this as anyone being replaced. I see this as Casserly losing some of his responsibilities. This could mean that we could be bringing in a coach who also wants some GM responsibilities. If Casserly stays he could just end up being a number cruncher (figuring out how to keep us below the cap) while our coach has full control over personell decisions. I'm all for that.

cuppacoffee
12-12-2005, 04:18 PM
I do not believe that this is unprecedented. Older heads here may be able to refresh my memory but didn't the Budster do this twice. Once bringing in Sid Gillman and another time bringing in Mike Holovak. My recollection might be fuzzy but I don't think either was brought in as GM or coach at the time they were hired.
The memory is the second thing to go. :)

:coffee:

Grid
12-12-2005, 04:18 PM
McNair has just discovered that he has been dealing with half truths when it comes to waht his staff has been telling him.

Im betting he brought in Reeves becuase he is a personal friend who can sift through any bull that McNair has been fed.

I wouldnt mind seeing him become a permenant fixture in the organization..in one form or another.

Khari
12-12-2005, 04:19 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2256863

Dan Reeves is returning to work in the NFL.

The Houston Texans (1-12) have hired the former Atlanta Falcons coach to a six-week contract as a consultant, the team is to announce Monday.

The Texans stayed in front of the line for the top pick in the NFL draft on Sunday with a 13-10 loss to the Titans. Kris Brown hooked a 31-yard field goal short and wide left on an untimed play with no time left.

Reeves was fired as the Falcons' coach in 2003 after becoming just the sixth coach to earn 200 NFL victories.

Reeves, 59, was in his 23rd consecutive season as an NFL head coach, by far the longest tenure in the league, and had one year left on his contract. Reeves led the Denver Broncos to three Super Bowls, losing each time.

Reeves, however, has had only two winning seasons in the last nine years of his tenure.

He has a career record of 201-174-2, including the playoffs.

Reeves, a protege of Tom Landry, began his head coaching career with the Broncos. After swinging a trade for John Elway, Reeves guided the Broncos to three AFC championships.

Reeves was fired after the 1992 season, a move that was linked to a feud with Elway. The quarterback accused Reeves of stifling the offense; the coach countered that Elway had secretly drawn up plays with former offensive coordinator Mike Shanahan.

Reeves then landed in New York with the Giants. They made the second round of the playoffs in 1993 and had a winning record the following season, but Reeves was fired again after the Giants went 5-11 in 1995 and 6-10 in '96.

Then, it was back home with the Falcons. Reeves is a native of Rome, just north of Atlanta, and grew up in the Georgia town of Americus.

After going 7-9 his first season, Reeves took Atlanta to the greatest season in franchise history. The Falcons went 14-2 in 1998, going on to capture their first NFC championship with a thrilling overtime victory in Minnesota.

Adding to the drama of the season, Reeves underwent heart bypass surgery late in the season but managed to return to the sideline for the playoffs. Then, he got to face Elway, Shanahan and the Broncos in the Super Bowl. Denver won 34-19.

Atlanta then struggled through three straight losing seasons, with a combined record of 16-32. But a trade on the eve of the 2001 draft brought Michael Vick to the Falcons, a precursor of brighter times.

Reeves was let go after the Falcons (3-10) defeated Carolina 20-14 in overtime in Vick's first start of the season.

The Falcons had fallen from the playoffs a year ago to one of the worst teams in the league after Vick was hurt in the preseason.

When Blank bought the Falcons before the 2002 season, he gave Reeves a new three-year contract.

eriadoc
12-12-2005, 04:21 PM
LOSE is spelled "lose" as in "The Texans are going to lose this game, again."

LOOSE is spelled "loose" as in "Kris Brown should get loose before he tries to kick or he'll miss"

LOSS is spelled "loss" as in "The Texans need one more loss to secure the #1 pick in the draft".

FUTILE is spelled "futile", as in "I applaud your efforts, but they will prove to be futile."

Hehehe. Sorry, but that particular misspelling grates on me as well, yet it is becoming more commonplace. I even see it in "professional" publications. Literacy is going to hell in a handbasket.

TexanExile
12-12-2005, 04:23 PM
Wow--glad I had a rare chance to check in here in the afternoon, considering this'd never get covered over here in Florida. My reaction was the same as others above....McNair led by pitching Casserly under the bus, then followed with the Reeves hire to drive the point home.

Remarkable piece of info--I didn't see this coming at all, but I do think it's a step in the right direction. I can't see Reeves returning to coaching full-time, but I do like some of the football minds he might be willing to endorse for the Texans' future.

Plus, he has the right accent. (Sorry, but after suffering through the gentrified John Mackovic era, I just feel better when Mack Brown talks.) :howdy:

spyder66
12-12-2005, 04:38 PM
I moved to Denver back in 1986 and lived amongst all the Bronco Fans for five years. Denver is a great city, and Dan Reeves was a fantastic coach for the team. John Elway, The Three Amigos, Karl Mecklenberg... all under the leadership of Mr. Reeves.

It will be interesting to see what kind of advice, leadership, and overall words of wisdom he will bring to the Texan franchise. It is good to see that steps are being made to help fix some of the problems our team has been suffering through these past several agonizing weeks.

I don't think that the Texans will regain anything overnight, but at least measures are being taken to try and resolve the issues at hand.

abbest
12-12-2005, 04:41 PM
I welcome any other potential football mind to come to the table and help our teams owner by giving him an alternative opinion to Charlie Casserly. Even if he concurs with everything Casserly says (independently) I still think it's a great thing to bring someone else in to help Bob figure out what needs fixing. It's particularly good if Reeves honestly does have no internal desire to coach or seize any kind of power. As an unbiased consultant and friend of McNair he'll be invaluable.Bob McNair is as smart an owner as there will be. The future of this team will be better after he cleans house.

JDizzle
12-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Casserly doesn't sound too enthusastic about it.

Texas_Thrill
12-12-2005, 04:47 PM
I'm not understanding this move what so ever by McNair. I'm sorry I just don't like it.

If Reeves isn't going to be the coach then when the new coach comes in you've already had someone evaluate talent for the way HE would like a team set-up not the way the new coach might like. If he's going to be GM fire Cass. I've never liked Reeves offenses. He's just as much of a super conserv coach. Run it Run it again Run it some more and if there are 30 men in the box then pass it. Elway had to draw up his own plays just to throw the freaking ball.

I agree with McCain. If you just wanted the guys opinion ask him but doesn't mean u have to hire him.

cadahnic
12-12-2005, 04:50 PM
I doubt Casserly will be the first one he evaluates. I am guessing that the first thing he will do is start evaluating the talent we have on the field, going to practice, watching game tape and such on all of our players while the season is still going on and he can see the players every day. I'm sure he will still be evaluating the coaches, GM, scouting department and all those people during that time, but I think the first priority will be evaluating the players, then moving on to the rest of the staff. Evaluating the players will also give him some insight into the scouting department and GM as he can critique their ability to evaluate talent and bring in good players.

Buffi2
12-12-2005, 04:50 PM
I haven't felt this good about the Texans in months! In fact, I found the whole situation yesterday so depressing, I couldn't even post on this board. I am now beside myself with excitement. I don't care what happens at this point as far as the draft and the coaches are concerned- at long last there is a beacon at the end of this cave we've gone into and his name is Reeves. If McNair listens to old Dan, then Texan football life will be better. A consultant is a good job for him and I doubt he would want to risk his health to get back into a regular football job like GM or for sure Coach. I'm glad McNair finally did something to give hope to the fans and players. This is a great solution to firing everyone in the middle or the end of the season. Great idea, Mr. McNair.

Grid
12-12-2005, 04:52 PM
isnt the press conference on right now? I guess I dont get it in college station..anyone wanna let us know whats going on?

blankfixation
12-12-2005, 04:55 PM
i agree i think this is mcnair telling trasherlly that he is out of here:yahoo: now i wonder who will replace dumb capers. one last thing...didnt it look like brown missed that field goal on purpose?if he did then someone needs to give that man an award! we need to lose the rest of the games

ATX_Texan
12-12-2005, 04:56 PM
I think it is a great idea to bring in a fresh set of eyes to look over the Texans situation. The information about the mishandling of the P-Buc trade should have woke up McNair that he cannot trust the talent evalutions that have been given by the current staff. With many important personnel decisions that need to made this off-season (especially with Carr), thank goodness Reeves will be around to give McNair some feedback. If he recommends that Casserly and Capers need to go, all the better.

donbmt
12-12-2005, 05:01 PM
isnt the press conference on right now? I guess I dont get it in college station..anyone wanna let us know whats going on?

Go to www.sportsradio610.com and listen, the press conference is over but there's plenty of talk about it, and the Dom Capers show is on at 5:00, should be a good one.

texanfan2002114
12-12-2005, 05:01 PM

Just to let you know that for now on you can hear streaming radio on www.sportsradio610.com. Thats the flag ship channel for the Texans and they usually carry the live announcements on the internet.

Sorry for the double post!! I guess great minds think alike!!

eriadoc
12-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Reeves has been involved in NINE Super Bowls? That was said at the press conference and I was thinking "Wow. There have only been what ... 40?" Reeves gets criticized for being conservative and whatnot, but he took the Broncos to two Super Bowls and then took the Falcons in 1998. And it was Reeves who swung the deal to get Michael Vick. Anyone with as much football knowledge as Reeves should be able to offer up a decent opinion on the team.

Buffi2
12-12-2005, 05:07 PM

In a nutshell, Reeves is going to evaluate the players, see where we stand, and give advice to McNair as to where to go from here and how to win the last three games. Reeves said that no one has asked his opinion since he left coaching 2 years ago until Thursday of last week when McNair called. The media hasn't asked if he would return to coaching or being a GM - which would seem to be a good question to ask. They also said he wasn't really hired to evaluate Capers and Casserly - but it would be rude to say anything else. Reeves did have his heart checked out last week, oddly enough. McNair said Reeves is not here to interview for the hc job, not here to evaluate gm and capers. Much speculation - no real answers.:texflag:

gwallaia
12-12-2005, 05:09 PM
I surprised McNair went with Reeves over all the experts on this message board. I figured he would have stayed "within" the organization. :)

gjmac2
12-12-2005, 05:13 PM
I like the move. I think it's time to get a new perspective on things.

JDizzle
12-12-2005, 05:19 PM
Did he say - in a nice, polite manner - that Carr is stinking it up as an NFL QB?

"He had a fine college carreer ..." LOL ...

swisher
12-12-2005, 05:21 PM
Casserly doesn't sound too enthusastic about it.

No he didn't.

For those who were unable to hear the press conference, Bob McNair spoke and then Dan Reeves spoke and then someone asked Casserly his thoughts on the addition of Reeves. Casserly said he was one of the best coaches in the NFL, that his input will be valuable, yada, yada. But he definatley sounded pissed and put out.

Then right after that someone asked McNair when he informed his staff of the hire and he answered with only one word..."today".

I think this was a blind side to Casserly. He's got to be thinking his job's in jeopardy.

tsip
12-12-2005, 05:21 PM
I doubt Casserly will be the first one he evaluates. I am guessing that the first thing he will do is start evaluating the talent we have on the field, going to practice, watching game tape and such on all of our players while the season is still going on and he can see the players every day. I'm sure he will still be evaluating the coaches, GM, scouting department and all those people during that time, but I think the first priority will be evaluating the players, then moving on to the rest of the staff. Evaluating the players will also give him some insight into the scouting department and GM as he can critique their ability to evaluate talent and bring in good players.

I think you are right in saying evaluating players is the NO. 1 priority--McNair made a statement that the Texans are only 5-6 players away from where they need to be-- but are we? After 4 yrs with Capers as HC, we still make the same mistakes and are inconsistent on both sides of the ball. Without question, we have a broke system as is and future decisions are crucial. For me, Casserly summed up the offensive woes on Sun night w/Bob Allen--Allen asked him why don't we get aggressive the entire game like we did the 2 min drill to close the half. Casserly's answer was the players make mistakes so they go with simple stuff...like that will eliminate mistakes!! Sometimes, I got to pinch myself to make sure the Texans are in the NFL....:brickwall

ghostlight
12-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Dan Reeves is class!!

Nighthawk
12-12-2005, 05:27 PM
I don't quite know how to read it but the reeves move is a start, and not a bad start, to the rest of our lives.

Kudos to McNair.

uhcougar08
12-12-2005, 05:35 PM
As much as I want Reggie Bush and DD looks like a man fighting for his life, by the way, DD is running really good, if Reeves likes one or the other, I am completely OK with his choices. Good Job McNair!!!

Honoring Earl 34
12-12-2005, 05:43 PM
:texflag: Maybe Reeves is a consultant at first , who's job is to decide is it lack of talent or lack of coaching .
If I we're Mcnair I want to know about the OL and is there any talent or a bunch of back ups . I'd want to know if Carr's worth a bonus . I'd want to know what to do with this high pick we're about to get .

U4ikrob
12-12-2005, 05:45 PM
I really like this move today - IT shows if nothing else that Mcnair is certainly takign a more "Hands on" approach to managing the team he owns. More than anything this move I think is insurance against coaches and staffers tryign to save their own jobs by trashing a player or another person on the squad to save their own butt [Cass & capers]

With the recent info coming out about how drafts, certain trades and other office and talent evaluations were done up to this point - I think Mr. Mcnair now has some doubts about his staff's honesty and disclosure to him about their choices and decisions up to this point regarding players, playcalling, trades, drafting etc.

IMO - Just fro ma business standpoint - A smart biz professional would hire a QA firm to come in and do an audit of things and give them an unbiased opinion of how biz has been done. We get one every year at my company as most clients require it as a checks and balances and keepign their business thats out of sight - in lien with how they want things done and alert them to problems.

Honestly I think more than anything Dan is here to Audit everyone in the franchise - top to bottom and give Mcnair some insurance between him and Casserley which he obviously has lost some faith in. It also gives him an unbiased and friendly opinion of his business before the end of the year and draft / FA start so he has more than one persons view of how to next move forward with the team at this point and how to get things back on track.

He obviously allready has Charlie's input -

My take is - so he hired a consultant to backcheck Charlie's evaluation. IF the man cant stand scrutiny of his job - IMHO he doesnt deserve to keep it. Newsflash Charlie - if you dont know some of your decisions have been very poor and others more than questionable in the development of this team - then you obviously are not the man to keep this team moving forward and should resign if you feel that uncomfortable with your body of work for Mr. Mcnair up to this point. I would hazard a guess that Charlie was not consulted for the Reeves hire and found out like everyone else did which once again shows like this an audit. So now Charlie doesnt get free reign and no more "You dont have 20 years in the NFL so you dont understand" statements will fly to the owner to wash over things - Reeves will most likely question Charlies decisions and will be looking over his shoulder and probing aroung the office, questioning and evaluating the franchise as his job. Of course this wont make Charlie feel comfortable at all. If he is completely honest with several of his own suspect decisions that have recently come to light along with his drafting the last 4 years and how that talent has transferred on to the field he would take more of an approach to try working with Dan the whole way and saying he has nothing to hide that he has done his best and welcomes Dan's experience on the team and help in development of the franchises future.

Bullpen Drew
12-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Dan Reeves will be the next head coach for the Texans!

Double Barrel
12-12-2005, 05:54 PM
Man, I'm stoked! :thumbup

"Dan Reeves is a former NFL player and head coach who holds the record for most Super Bowl appearances as a player or a coach with 9."

Reeves is a winner, both as a player and as a coach. He's got a ring as a player and as a coach, and he's a protege of the late, great Tom Landry.

He's got championship blood, and I think this is a great move.

Buffi2
12-12-2005, 05:55 PM
McNair was just on 610. From what he said, I gather he is pretty well sold on DD and not keeping Bush- "that (RB) isn't one of the areas we need help in" and as to Carr, he seemed to be pretty much leaning toward giving him the bonus, but he wasn't as definite about that.

Htown34s
12-12-2005, 05:59 PM
McNair was just on 610. From what he said, I gather he is pretty well sold on DD and not keeping Bush- "that (RB) isn't one of the areas we need help in" and as to Carr, he seemed to be pretty much leaning toward giving him the bonus, but he wasn't as definite about that.

Trading down...here we come!!

Diehardtexan
12-12-2005, 06:01 PM
I think that Capers is gone and Mr. McNair doesn't want to go into the draft without talent evaluater. He is not going to rush into hiring a new HC and a new staff. He will go after Pete Carrol (sp) and maybe Reeves can guide him to the right HC. I don't think McNair trust Casserly any more after P-burnt debacle, but I don't think he will get rid of him. He knows a lot about the cap numbers and how to deal with it and it's hard to find someone like that.

SESupergenius
12-12-2005, 06:02 PM
Let's see, wasn't Pendry just coming in to be a line coach? He somehow ends up the offensive coordinator.

Dan Reeve's was hired just to be a consultant. What is the next step.

This organization is just a little too transparent, a squirrel can see what is going on behind the scenes.

Wharton
12-12-2005, 06:03 PM
I know Kubiak was a player under Reeves as a backup QB to Elway, but I am not sure about as a coach.

aj.
12-12-2005, 06:07 PM
McNair has very publicly declared his mistrust of Casserly, first in words in the Justice article, and now in deed by bringing in Reeves for a "six week" contract (and who knows how many other times behind closed doors). Any Senior VP worth a grain of salt would have his resignation letter on the CEO's desk tomorrow morning if not sooner, especially considering the way this was handled. If Casserly has any pride - and we know he has plenty - he will resign.

keyfro
12-12-2005, 06:07 PM
i think there is no way to see this as a bad move...mcclain is right...mcnair has no trust in casserly or capers...and after this season why shoud he...look at casserly's moves...trade for babin, trade for buchanan, signed some questionable at best FA's...and has had some back luck in rounds under the 1st round...personally i see dan reeves staying in as the GM of this team...he'll hire a good coach...i wonder if him and jimmy johnson get along...not sure on that one but i would assume him and kubiak could get along just fine

humbleone
12-12-2005, 06:14 PM
Thanks Coach C for the early "heads up" on the good news. Your post today is a perfect example of why many of us spend time on this MB. Every once in awhile you, Vinny or someone else will offer some real insight into what the heck is going on with Texans. Nice going and many thanks!:texflag:

Tulip
12-12-2005, 06:16 PM
I was in the car when John McClain was on the radio during the 2:00 hour. He sounded angry and disgusted. He called it a slap in the face of Charley Casserly and said that Dan Reeves was a talk show host that no team wants.

Maybe I'm naive, but I think Casserly may have a better chance of keeping his job with a temporary consultant like Reeves evaluating the situation. I think McNair just isn't sure how deep (or how broad) to cut. He needs to get a solid opinion about whether the Texans' situation is truly a coaching problem or a personnel problem.

Texans_Chick
12-12-2005, 06:17 PM

Listened to the press conference and McNair after that.

1. I think it is a nice move. If you clean house and then get a consultant you have lost any input you woulda received from all the coaches/assistant coaches.

2. Genius marketing. It demonstrates to the fans that even tho he hasn't pulled the plug, he cares and he is willing to spend some jack showing it.

3. The only thing that would make John McClain happy is if McNair did everything he says. Last time that happened, we left the roof open for the Pittsburgh game. (McClain for weeks prior to that game had been talking on the radio about how wussy the Texans were for not opening the roof. That turned out double plus ungood.) I do think it is a hard thing to cut the legs out from your current staff, but at least everybody is saying the right things about it. I think my observation #1 mitigates against McClain's cranky comment du jour.

4. Like with most stuff, I try to give the team of the benefit of the doubt and hope that it works out. If winning was easy, then everybody would be doing it every year.

5. Might be a Kubiak signal.

6. When I listened to McNair talk about the Bush thing, I dint hear that as a dis of Bush but rather confirming that DD is doing an exemplary job. He really can't comment on Bush (a junior), and it is not a good thing to dump your current players in the grease. So saying nice things about DD and giving him a vote of confidence doesn't mean squat other that McNair has some sense.

7. Liked the discussion of the difference between "Lose" "Loose" "Loss" etc--you'd think we'd have figured that one out by this time in the season. :)

Buffi2
12-12-2005, 06:20 PM
I was in the car when John McClain was on the radio during the 2:00 hour. He sounded angry and disgusted. He called it a slap in the face of Charley

Maybe Casserly needs a slap in the face.:)

Capers on the blocked and missed field goal attempts yesterday, "Well, we just didn't execute." I would like to give Capers a slap in the face when he uses that e word.:bomb:

tulexan
12-12-2005, 06:28 PM

I wouldn't put too much weight on what he said on a radio show. Reggie hasn't even declared yet, even though he will, so Bob McNair isn't going to go out and say that he is going to draft Reggie Bush. He isn't allowed to say that because there are rules about talking about undeclared underclassmen. He isn't going to tip his hand on what he is going to draft either. Teams rarely say who they want or what they want because they want to have all of the bargaining chips available. The second that you say who you want, teams looking to trade up will go to different teams if they want someone.

For example: Let's say that the Texans have the first pick and they announce that they are going to pick Reggie Bush. Well some team that wants Matt Leinart will start dealing with the Niners or who ever else because they know that they don't have to give up as much to get him.

And he isn't going to blast a player (except Phillip Buchanon) in the middle of the season and make him feel unwanted. McNair is a man of class, and doing something like that would be similar to him firing Capers in the middle of the season.

TexanExile
12-12-2005, 06:34 PM
I think this was a blind side to Casserly. He's got to be thinking his job's in jeopardy.

I should friggin hope he thinks his job in jeopardy! :) Surely it didn't take this move for him to start sweatin', and nobody here's really upset at the idea.

Also, if he was blindsided by this, I'm sure there will be at least 2 posters on this board who will somehow say that this, too, was Dom Capers' fault. :fishing:

Charley, let go.

GP
12-12-2005, 06:58 PM
"...For example: Let's say that the Texans have the first pick and they announce that they are going to pick Reggie Bush. Well some team that wants Matt Leinart will start dealing with the Niners or who ever else because they know that they don't have to give up as much to get him..." -- tulexan

----------------------------

So how do you figure our first draft pick ever: David Carr himself, who if I am not mistaken was already signed before draft day or was all but signed before draft day...had toured Houston and was already in the mode of relocation for his family to Houston, etc.? Theteam had made that call pretty much right after the final whistle had blown at Carr's last college game.

McNair would have said, "No comment on Reggie because he's not declared yet..." or something to that effect if the rules were what he cares about. He doesn't so much care about the rules or any other sort of standard politically-correct protocol right now as we have seen by him hiring a former HC and/or GM like Reeves.

No, in my opinion McNair is trying to telegraph to all of us (fans) as well as to the front office itself that the ownership is not interested in making the sexy draft pick just because that's what's expected with all this Reggie Bush hype that's been going on. IMO, McNair is screaming to all of us that the buck is stopping with him and he's seen enough, too.

We've all been begging McNair to do something, and this was an AWESOME first step. It's not McNair trying to put on the football hat and fix it himself. It's McNair being a smart businessman and understanding that your organization has had the wind knocked out of it and things need to be flipped upside down.

This doesn't happen in Detroit with the Ford Family who has just ridden Matt Millen through all of the bad draft picks, coaching picks, etc. They think they know how to do it, and it's why they haven't sniffed playoffs in like 80 years or so.

Good job, McNair. Nice chess move.

SESupergenius
12-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Get with it gpshafer_1976 and stop shooting from the hip, he say "DECLARED". Carr wasn
t officially signed before the draft, just that they had agreed to terms, but nothing was signed.

tulexan
12-12-2005, 07:01 PM
That is why I said rarely. There are cases where teams know who they are going to draft and everyone else does. But a lot of times that is not the case, and when we have a team with several needs, other teams don't know what we are going to do either.

nunusguy
12-12-2005, 07:01 PM
It's good to know McNair will have someone to council him on some key
subjects since Casserly's opinion alone is not enough for obviuos reasons.
And this even more undermines whatever authority Casserly may have left.
I would really like to see someone like Reeves as GM, but would prefer a
younger NFL assistant or college head coach as the new HC here.
But in the next month or so, maybe Reeves can help McNair out with the
decision on whgether or not to retain Carr.

tulexan
12-12-2005, 07:05 PM
McNair would have said, "No comment on Reggie because he's not declared yet..." or something to that effect if the rules were what he cares about. He doesn't so much care about the rules or any other sort of standard politically-correct protocol right now as we have seen by him hiring a former HC and/or GM like Reeves.

I don't even know what the exact question was. Someone posted here that he was very complimentary about Dominack Davis and assumed that meant that we are not going to draft Reggie Bush.

HoustonFan
12-12-2005, 07:09 PM
Wow, good news to my ears upon getting on the beltway to go home from work. Dan Reeves??!!!! Cool. I realized something reading the article on the homepage, I'm really beginning to think #5 will end up here next season. Why wouldn't McNair pick up someone from his alma mater? I digress. This is a good step for the Texans. Still gotta wait for 1/2/06 though. Until then, Come on Texans, let's get over that hump and win these last few games.

*secretly rooting for the other teams in the running for the 1st pick to win too. :heh:

CowboysTexansFan
12-12-2005, 07:19 PM
KUDOS TO MR. MCNAIR!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

I love the team, and as a PSL holder have put up thousands of dollars to support it. Today is the happiest I've been about the team's future since it became clear this was going to be a debacle of a season. The Browns victory provided a salve of relief, but did nothing to alleviate my concern about the future.

I was on my way back to work when McClain was on 610 discussing the hiring of Reeves, and had to shake my head at some of McClain's comments. I've always liked McClain, but some his comments in recent weeks have caused me to lose confidence in his judgment (though I still think he's smarter than Justice, who is a lost cause; as an aside, why can't the Chronicle hire smarter football writers?).

I didn't hear the whole interview, but here were some of the things I remember (paraphrasing), as well as my response (which was not broadcast!):

McClain: He didn't agree with McNair's decision at all.

Me: I do. I think this move is great. Casserly has been feeding McNair a bunch of bull. Now McNair has a longtime, respected NFL guy to give him an unvarnished opinion of the team and its players.

McClain: This hiring was "a slap in the face" to Charley Casserly.

Me: True enough, but he deserves it! Whenever I see him on TV or listen to him on the radio (which I don't do much anymore because I can't stand him), he looks and sounds like a conniving snake oil salesman to me.

McClain: If McNair doesn't have confidence in Casserly's judgment, just fire him.

Me: Great idea! I wish McNair would fire him. The sooner, the better. If not, maybe Casserly will see the writing on the wall and quit. My fear is he will stuff his pride in his back pocket, take all the humiliation he's going to get as the Head Shoeshine Boy of the Texans, and continue to collect his unearned paycheck until he is officially fired at the end of the season.

McClain: He has never seen an owner do this sort of thing before (i.e., bring in a consultant in the middle of a season, which will make things uncomfortable for the GM and coach) in his 4 decades covering football.

Me: Who cares whether this has been done before or not? There is no manual given to owners when they acquire an NFL team. McNair is doing what he did as a successful businessman: Think strategically and make decisions based on logic after thoroughly gathering the facts. Hiring Reeves will help him gather the facts.

McClain: Apparently couldn't see how Reeves, who coached the 4-3 defense, could evaluate the players in a 3-4 defense.

Me: I thought that was a particularly dumb comment. Reeves has been in the league for decades at the highest level. Even if he didn't run the 3-4, he certainly coached against it long enough to be able to evaluate whether the Texans are running it effectively and whether its players are suited for it.

Anyway, I once again have hope for the team's future. I was starting to wonder after Justice's article, which made it sound like Justice had inside information that McNair had decided to keep Casserly. Now it looks like Casserly's being thrown under the bus!!! :yahoo:

Hopefully, Mr. McNair will hire a replacement who will be able to perform his job competently. I have every confidence he will hire the best person for the job, and that the future is bright!

GO TEXANS!!!

texans281
12-12-2005, 07:20 PM
I'm really beginning to think #5 will end up here next season. Why wouldn't McNair pick up someone from his alma mater?

Because the USC of relevance is the University of South Carolina "Gamecocks" not the University of Southern California "Trojans".

tulexan
12-12-2005, 07:21 PM
McNair went to South Carolina not Southern Cal

HoustonFan
12-12-2005, 07:23 PM
McNair went to South Carolina not Southern Cal

Awwwwwwh, **** nevermind that previous post. Oversite. Damn, that was a ba done too, ah well. *smh Bush wouldn't be a bad addition, but let's see what Reeves thinks after the season.

Tulip
12-12-2005, 07:30 PM
I was on my way back to work when McClain was on 610 discussing the hiring of Reeves, and had to shake my head at some of McClain's comments. I've always liked McClain, but some his comments in recent weeks have caused me to lose confidence in his judgment (though I still think he's smarter than Justice, who is a lost cause; as an aside, why can't the Chronicle hire smarter football writers?).

I haven't listened to McClain much lately, but he sounded like he was throwing a temper tantrum today. I've never heard him present himself in such an unprofessional manner. I could hear the steam coming out of his ears. He hurled multiple insults at Dan Reeves while trying to make himself sound objective by prefacing each insult with some insincere compliment.

It was so weird. Honestly, that McClain interview was almost as interesting as the announcement itself.

texans281
12-12-2005, 07:30 PM
I think he'll eventually move into the head coaches job. I think it's funny how he said he won't be involved with game planning or the players, but he will be evaluating them. Sure. Smart move by McNair. Bring in a new coach and have him start getting an idea of his personel a little early, see who is still playing and who's quit. It also means we might not have to go through a total roster teardown since Reeves ran the 3-4 D in the past. Next season Reeves will coach but Casserley will still be the GM.

PapaL
12-12-2005, 07:40 PM
ESPN has a story about it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2256872

JDizzle
12-12-2005, 07:40 PM

Yeah, let's pass up on Reggie Bush and give David Carr a bonus after his stellar 4th year! Now you know why he hired Dan Reeves.

WWJD
12-12-2005, 07:47 PM
John McClain sounded plenty cranky today. I didn't quite get the opinion he tossed out about the hiring but you could tell he didn't like it.

On the "this may not be as big a deal as you might think" side. They said on the radio Dan Reeves is not moving to Houston and will remain in Atlanta. So his opinions will be expressed long distance for now.

aj.
12-12-2005, 08:05 PM
...Dan Reeves is not moving to Houston and will remain in Atlanta. So his opinions will be expressed long distance for now.

He'll be at several practices over the next three weeks.

CowboysTexansFan
12-12-2005, 08:09 PM
What is it with Justice and McClain being such staunch defenders of Charley Casserly? Are they close personal friends of his? Does Casserly wine and dine them?

As I said, I've always liked McClain, but recently he's said a number of things that have caused me to shake my head. On Friday, he said himself on the radio that he "wasn't that smart."

Unfortunately, I have to agree with him.

I loved the letter to the sports editor today in the Chronicle. The reader more or less summed up my feelings nicely.

Kaiser Toro
12-12-2005, 08:11 PM
Sorry for the atta boy I am giving myself, but called this a week ago, sort of. :)

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?p=217564#post217564

GP
12-12-2005, 08:16 PM
"Get with it gpshafer_1976 and stop shooting from the hip, he say "DECLARED". Carr wasn
t officially signed before the draft, just that they had agreed to terms, but nothing was signed.
" -ses

-------------------------------

Geez...somebody forgot to take their happy pills today.

Grab a Dr. Pepper and relax a little, ses.

If anybody was shooting from the hip it was tulexan who was "thinking out loud" about why McNair said he was happy/pleased with DD, etc.

I think sometimes we think smart businessmen are so much smarter than the rest of us that they play all of these head games and bluff, etc. When in reality, McNair is probably speaking from his (GASP!) heart when he says he's pleased with DD and that there's not a great need at RB right now (according to a comment buffi2 put inside QUOTATION MARKS).

But, the Reggie Bush fans are begging for any bone to be thrown their way as to why we will/should take Bush with our high draft pick.

So who is shooting from the hip?

CowboysTexansFan
12-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Let's see if Casserly in fact survives before you pat yourself on the back. One way or another, I don't think he's going to be back.

HJam72
12-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Good decision, McNair.

Double Barrel
12-12-2005, 08:46 PM
I think sometimes we think smart businessmen are so much smarter than the rest of us that they play all of these head games and bluff, etc.

I agree with you, man. I've learned quite a bit this past few weeks about our front office. Way more than in our four seasons.

Casserly is not necessarily the football genius that he, or anyone else, makes him out to be. Sure he's smart about salary cap management and all that jazz, but little revelation that he only watched four games on Buchanan really knocks him down a few, IMO.

And I've got all the respect in the world for Mr. McNair, but he's an NFL noob no matter how we look at it. He's really just one of us (ie. fans) with gazzillions of dollars to buy a team. But he doesn't necessarily have any more idea than we do just because he purchased a football franchise. Learning that he took advice from other NFL owners about hiring the dynamic duo of Casserly/Capers kinda' opened my eyes. Then finding out he let Al Davis strong arm us into the Buchanan deal was a trip...

However, he's a very successful business man, and he thought he was hiring competent people to run his team. Now that he's learned that they aren't what he needs to be successful, he's brought in a true football man, Dan Reeves, who knows winning as a player and as a coach. This is a brilliant move, and it definitely shows us that we are back on a road that we can look forward to the destination.

Georgiaboy
12-12-2005, 09:41 PM
Reeves is a good coach, but he is a creature of habit. Just like Capers he will eventually fall in a lull. He was fired in Atlanta, due to his inability to fix the problem. Sure Johnson sucked as a QB, but Reeves had the ability to remove him and didnt. He also likes to stick with a 34 defense and dosen't like to budge on it all, this led to many problems in Atlanta. He could be useful as a consultant, but dont wish him in a HC, he might have some starting success, but we'll be here in 2 or 3 years, and I'll personally start the Fire Reeves thread. But good move Mr. McNair bringing someone in to stir the pot.

samomin
12-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Finaaly a bright spot this season!! yay :texflag:

the wonger need food
12-12-2005, 09:45 PM
I guess Mr. McNair was reading our emails afterall.

Here is what Falcon fans are saying about it...

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/index.php?showtopic=129094

HJam72
12-12-2005, 09:50 PM
I guess Mr. McNair was reading our emails afterall.

Here is what Falcon fans are saying about it...

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/index.php?showtopic=129094

Answer to Falcons fans: NO, we do NOT have enough tight-ends. :embarrass

edo783
12-12-2005, 09:53 PM
I thought it was POINTEDLY interesting that McNair said Reeves was not here to interview for the HC position, but never mentioned the same thing for the GM job. It would seem to me a good thing to have the FUTURE GM around evaluating the players and staff over the last three games. That way when you head into the offseason the new GM would have a MUCH better idea of where the team stands than if he came in in Jan. Makes good sense to me.

tulexan
12-12-2005, 09:54 PM
"He'll be in charge of blaming losses on poor execution by the players and not his caveman offense"

This sounds familiar

cuppacoffee
12-12-2005, 09:59 PM
Reeves is a good coach, but he is a creature of habit. Just like Capers he will eventually fall in a lull. He was fired in Atlanta, due to his inability to fix the problem. Sure Johnson sucked as a QB, but Reeves had the ability to remove him and didnt. He also likes to stick with a 34 defense and dosen't like to budge on it all, this led to many problems in Atlanta. He could be useful as a consultant, but dont wish him in a HC, he might have some starting success, but we'll be here in 2 or 3 years, and I'll personally start the Fire Reeves thread. But good move Mr. McNair bringing someone in to stir the pot.

Sorta what I was thinking... :ok:
I was never a Reeves fan when he was coaching, but as an extra set of eyes/ears he may be able to shed some light on the teams problems to Mr McNair. Can't hurt. :shrug:

:coffee:

txnfan4eva
12-12-2005, 10:03 PM
I thought it was POINTEDLY interesting that McNair said Reeves was not here to interview for the HC position, but never mentioned the same thing for the GM job. It would seem to me a good thing to have the FUTURE GM around evaluating the players and staff over the last three games. That way when you head into the offseason the new GM would have a MUCH better idea of where the team stands than if he came in in Jan. Makes good sense to me.

Exactly, McNair also said he will be with the Texans for the next two months, but its a possibility he could be here longer.

ATX_Texan
12-12-2005, 10:36 PM
What is it with Justice and McClain being such staunch defenders of Charley Casserly? Are they close personal friends of his? Does Casserly wine and dine them?

I was thinking the same thing. I live in Austin, but I was in Houston for the Big 12 Championship game and heard McClain's radio show Friday afternoon. I was really surprised and how he could not stop singing the praises of both Capers and Casserly. It got real old hearing how they both were so classy and devoted to winning while ignoring the failure of the team on the field. He also spent way too much time chastising the fans for now be more respectful of these fellows. They may be great guys, but they does not make them the right people to run this football team. The revelations about lack of research Casserly and company have been doing in regards to personnel decisions makes bringing in Reeves a great move.

Boxscore
12-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Reeves will be the next Texan coach and will consult Mcnair on who the new GM should and will be. Reves has won the Super Bowl and has coached high profile teams. No Brainer

JDizzle
12-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Wow .... Casserly looks like he's pouting ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/jmott1/Casserly1.jpg

eriadoc
12-12-2005, 11:09 PM
Regarding Reeves' coaching acumen -- if he gets us to three Super Bowls in a decade, as he did with the Broncos, or even one Super Bowl, as he did with the Falcons, I'll be a much happier fan. Reeves knows his stuff. And for the comment about the QB situation in Atlanta - Reeves was the one who swung the deal to get Vick. He was fired immediately following Vick's first game, I think I remember reading.

At minimum, he's a coach that's been to four Super Bowls that can evaluate talent. At best, he's our next GM :)

Ranger
12-12-2005, 11:25 PM
I think this is perfect......and one of the best decisions that the Texans have made in their history. Reeves knows what being a winner takes, and he won't hold anything back from McNair, I mean who lies to thier friends. Reeves been out of coaching for a while and his mind is fresh and I think he is ready to get back into something football and this is a good move for him. I think its also a good PR move because it shows that McNair and the Texans are giving up and tells the players don't you be giving up either because you have somebody staring at your every move.

You look at the simalarites between Reeves coached teams and the Texans.......we have a very mobile QB with a big arm just as Reeves had with John Elway and Micheal Vick.......we like to run the dadgum ball.......our defense is set up to stop the run and put pressure on the QB....we play to darn conservative.......this a lot of similarties between the way he play football and the way Reeves played football.

I don't know what McClain was talking about when Reeve has never played a 3-4 defense.....if I am not mistaken (which I'm not) Reeves played the 3-4 in Atlanta with Wade Phillips as DC (who is now in SD). Reeves has been around the 3-4 before, he coaced it.

You have to be joking when you say you've never seen a team hire a past HC to be a consultant. Just a couple of years ago Jim Fassel was hired as a consultant to the Ravens when he was fired as HC of the Giants. It was at the beninning of the season, but its been done before, by a lot of teams. By the way, Fassel is now OC of the Ravens. God help him.

I can see Reeves coaching here, or at least being GM. You just don't hire a consultant to just evalute players when you have your GM doing it right there already. I think somebody already said this and I'll say it again, but I think McNair doesn't know who all should be fired. Should Capers be fired? Is it Casserely's fault? I think thats what Reeves is here for to find out who done it and if somebody can fix it and how long it will take. From what I here we will be here 6 weeks. Enough time to find out how things work, fire Capers and Casserely, and find replacements. In the end it may be what George W. Bush did with Chenney when Chenney was helping "search" for a VP........."oh well, after searching and searching, I found out that the right guy was right under my nose." Thats something that we might here come January.

Who will Reeves fire? Who will Reeves cut? Does Capers and Chasserly get fired and Pete Carroll come in and get full control and $6 million or does Chasserly stay, Kubiak comes in from a place Reeves know will in Denver? Will Reeves say get Reggie Bush or trade down? Will David Carr get an $8 million dolllar extension? Who knows, but over the next 6 weeks there will be some fire works.

angeltexus
12-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Man!! You made my year with that picture.. Thats sort off the way I have pictured all of us here on this message board. Glad to see Charlies finally getting the point. CAN YOU FEEL ME CHARLIE? CAN YOU FEEL ME??

OzzO
12-12-2005, 11:55 PM
Yeah, 610 mentioned that they should've know something was up when they held the conference normally in a 16 person room was moved to the team meeting room (100+ capacity).

They said it looked fitting with McNair and Reeves on the inside 2 of the 4 guys with Capers and Casserly on each side... actually, they said standing on the "outside" of the group.

MorKnolle
12-12-2005, 11:57 PM
I could see Reeves possibly being the GM but not the HC. If we do hire him as GM it would probably solidify Kubiak being our next HC since they both obviously have close ties to the Broncos.

tulexan
12-13-2005, 12:00 AM
Is Dom going to have to turn over his notes that he is always writing during games?

HardKnockTexan
12-13-2005, 01:14 AM
I'm not sure who posted it, but a few weeks ago there was a "I blame Mr. McNair" thread going around. I hope whoever started that thread is man enough to start a "I take back blaming Mr. McNair" thread.

Vinny
12-13-2005, 01:19 AM
http://www.houstonprofootball.com/scout/images/PICTURE_scout116.gif
"Ahhhh... we have sort of a problem here, Charley.
Hmmm, yeeaaaahhh... Ahhh... I'm going to have
to ask you to come in on Sunday, too.
That would be great."

F-minus67
12-13-2005, 01:37 AM
I'm just wondering, did everyone on the message boards see Office Space recently?

Johnny Utah
12-13-2005, 06:13 AM
Reeves will be the next Texan coach and will consult Mcnair on who the new GM should and will be. Reves has won the Super Bowl and has coached high profile teams. No Brainer

Houston fans better get ready for a new brand of offense.

1st down: Run
2nd down: Run
3rd down: Pass

If the Texans end up with Bush and hire Reeves it will be a bad combination. Reeves has more experience than Capers, but they share the exact same coaching philosophy - conservative offense and a 3-4 defense.

ccdude730
12-13-2005, 07:16 AM
I'm just wondering, did everyone on the message boards see Office Space recently?
its a classic!!

dom would make a good DC i think. i want to see those "extravagant blitzes" and that "tenacious defense"...while playing out of the 3-4.

and nfls "coach k" im guessing is the front runner for the position at HC to try and restructure our offense. carr's 3rd offensive scheme. 3rd times a charm isnt it?!?! *counting to make sure its 3* a QB coach to work exclusively with our qbs wouldnt hurt either. get this other nut job (roman) out of here

touttail
12-13-2005, 08:17 AM
Dan Reeves Consultant?
Is the abbreviation for consultant--GM?

Bobby 119C :brickwall

OzzO
12-13-2005, 09:22 AM
Consultant for now. Since I think I heard / saw that McNair and Reeves went to school together, he trusts his friend's viewpoint since he's been in the nfl for quite some time (especially longer than "20 years").

So, McNair's just relying on his business savvy - that he can't apparently trust his front office enough, and he can't form a non-opinionated view since it's his business and doesn't quite have the knowledge to back it up... bring in the consultant to help him form an opinion of where it's actually broke and what he has to work with.

If the "broke" ends up being players... coaches... GM, so be it. If any of those are saveable and can get his business successful faster - so be that way as well.

McNair's just looking for an outside, honest opinion that he can trust. Let's see what happens.

TexanBacker93
12-13-2005, 11:21 AM
It would be no upgrade going from Capers to Reeves. Reeves is more conservative because he will try and run the ball even without the benefit of a decent back (Sammy Winder, Gerald Wilhite, Steve Sewell, Bobby Humphrey). John Elway didn't have a great statistical year until 1993 when he threw for over 4000 yards and had 25 TDs against 10 interceptions. Incidentally, that was the first year without Reeves coaching. 11 years to reach those numbers for a hall of fame QB is absurd. It was Reeve's coaching that did that to him. Elway did have some good years before then, but never like that. Reeves is a good evaluator and if that's what he is truly just going to be doing then I am fine with it. Hopefully, he can convince McNair to bring in Kubiak.

TexanBacker93
12-13-2005, 11:28 AM
Regarding Reeves' coaching acumen -- if he gets us to three Super Bowls in a decade, as he did with the Broncos, or even one Super Bowl, as he did with the Falcons, I'll be a much happier fan. Reeves knows his stuff. And for the comment about the QB situation in Atlanta - Reeves was the one who swung the deal to get Vick. He was fired immediately following Vick's first game, I think I remember reading.

At minimum, he's a coach that's been to four Super Bowls that can evaluate talent. At best, he's our next GM :)

Actually he was fired after a win. Vick was hurt most of the year and came back to play against the Texans. I would think all Texans fans would remember the game. Carr came out in the 2nd half with one arm and led the team to a victory against the Falcons. The Falcons then beat Indy and Reeves was let go replaced again by Wade Phillips who followed him in Denver also. This all happened in Vick's 3rd season.

eriadoc
12-13-2005, 12:19 PM
It would be no upgrade going from Capers to Reeves. Reeves is more conservative because he will try and run the ball even without the benefit of a decent back ......

See, here's where I have to disagree with you. If Capers' conservative system got us to 3 Super Bowls in a decade, I could care less what Carr's stats end up being. I could care less what running back we have. Reeves lost all 4 Super Bowls he coached in, but he did have the misfortune of running up against some powerhouse teams - Teams that were good enough to repeat Super Bowl appearances/wins. The Broncos made it to the Super Bowl 3 of 4 years and lost to the Giants and to the 49ers (twice). He took a Falcons team to the Super Bowl and lost to a Broncos team that won back-to-back titles. So it's not like he was Dick Vermeil taking one Eagles team to a Super Bowl and losing. Granted, it would be more impressive if he'd won one or more, but hey, Capers hasn't sniffed one, so it's definitely an upgrade.

But personally, I want Reeves as GM.

rafterticket
12-13-2005, 01:31 PM
Dan Reeves has been to more Super Bowls and played a part in more playoff games than anyone I can think of as a player, assistant coach and head coach. He has been around winning, knows football, and would be someone who would keep my ear if he was offering me advice on football operations, top to bottom.

Maybe he'll take one of the positions, but he says no. I think what he is really here to do is make a load of money as McNair's personal football brain. He'll evaluate the talent we have on the roster to decide who lives or dies, and assess needs for next year's draft (don't say Bush is a no-brainer; personally I don't think we need a running back).

It's pretty obvious McNair has lost confidence in what his football people are telling him. So Dan will also advise Mr. McNair on who to hire as a GM and HC.

What an awkward position only someone like Dan Reeves could fill.

MorKnolle
12-13-2005, 01:42 PM
DAN REEVES IS HERE AS A CONSULTANT.

Can we close this thread off and dump it to the archives already since no new or real information is being put in here and the thread is quickly growing in size and going no where?

eriadoc
12-13-2005, 01:52 PM
DAN REEVES IS HERE AS A CONSULTANT.

Can we close this thread off and dump it to the archives already since no new or real information is being put in here and the thread is quickly growing in size and going no where?

Anytime a team makes a move like this with more than a hint of covert dealings, there will be rampant speculation. Better that the speculation finds its way into one thread that you don't have to visit.

Runner
12-13-2005, 02:10 PM
I think many of you are missing the point here. Mr. McNair gathered advice from other owners on what to do. Using this advice, he then chose his "friend" Coach Reeves to help out the franchise. I think these facts lead directly to the conclusion that Coach Reeves is nothing more than a front man for some nefarious group that is planning on a hostile takeover of the Houston Texans. Coach Reeves is actually here to take Mr. McNair's job! If you don't think a friend would do this to a friend, I'll just say "Et tu, Brute?"

The only other alternative I can see is that Coach Reeves is here as aconsultant to help his friend Mr. McNair draw up a road map for fixing this franchise's problems, but what are the odds of that?

Dubya
12-13-2005, 02:28 PM
Lopez's hatchet job on Dan Reeves:

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/lopez/texans/3520595.html

Sorry if this was already posted, I didn't see it anywhere. I have the print version in my backpack, I'll compare it with the online version and see if there are any differences. It's happened before: http://www.bloghouston.net/blog/1/?/offset/20

EDIT: Sorry, I missed the entire thread devoted to this article. I'm running on fumes right now, it's finals week.

jjjezebel
12-13-2005, 02:29 PM
The way I read McNair's comment about Reeves not evaluating Capers or Casserly, is that he's already come to a decision regarding that, and that both will be gone at the end of the season.

I wouldn't be surprised if Reeves' "consulting" job is really to give him a head start to evaluate the talent on the team before taking over the GM position, and start deciding who to keep, and who to cut. Also, to give Carr some serious evaluation before deciding whether to extend him or not.

And of course, ponder who the next HC (Kubiak) will be. (But that's just my personal preference.) :)

Of course, this is all just pure speculation (hope). As for McClain, I see it as the old, "Those who can't do it, critique it." Old boy should keep his yap shut, and let McNair run the organization as he sees fit. I don't care if he has been a sports writer for 40 years. If he's never been inside an organization, then he really doesn't have any right to whine about it. (Not that I know if he has or not. I couldn't seem to find any bio info on him.)

HJam72
12-13-2005, 07:44 PM
That's why I never whine about the coaching or the team....um. :embarrass

jjjezebel
12-13-2005, 09:27 PM
I hope you weren't aiming that jab just at me, HJam72... ;)

texan279
12-14-2005, 10:35 AM
Anyone watching Cold Pizza? Caught last minute of a piece where they were talking about Dan Reeves here in Houston and it was said that Dan Reeves wants to be the head coach and/or GM for the Texans by next season. I did not catch the source or if it was just a rumor at this point.

Bullpen Drew
12-14-2005, 10:43 AM
Anyone watching Cold Pizza? Caught last minute of a piece where they were talking about Dan Reeves here in Houston and it was said that Dan Reeves wants to be the head coach and/or GM for the Texans by next season. I did not catch the source or if it was just a rumor at this point.

I saw that too, I think the guy who mentioned that was from the Ft Worth Star Telegram...

cadahnic
12-14-2005, 11:17 AM
If Dan Reeves is going to take over any position in the Texans organization it will likely be GM. That will give him the freedom to still do the things he enjoys with his large family and keep the stress down on his bad ticker. It would also mean that we would likely bring in Kubiak as the new HC.