PDA

View Full Version : Who & what the texans should draft

Smokedawg
12-07-2005, 01:32 AM
ok obvisiosly we are going to get a top 5 pick, lets say we hopefully get #1. now who should we get? bush or OL/DL. Bush is a great athlete no doubt about it and is faster than a speeding bullet, BUT his team has never really played an awesome dominating defense. i think the best run defense they have played was Michigan in the rose bowl, when bush ran for just 50 yards or so. last year i don't remember what he did against Oklahoma in the orange bowl, but O.U. choked in both title games because Justin vincent ran for 150 in the sugar bowl against them.Bush and Vincent don't compare. We should wait and see what he does vs. Texas. Also it would great for any RB to run behind a O-LINE like USC, plus opposing teams can't just focus on Bush there is still a heismen QB in lienart and WR jarret, smith and lendale white. the texans should trade down (so they wont have to pay the biggest contract) and get ferguson or the DE from louisville. and not get winstrom from Maimi because he has been injured and has never recovered and injuries always come back to haunt you. we will see how winstrom does against LSU D-line in the peach bowl. Since we need a safety we should try to get best in counrty (if he declares for the draft) in LaRon Landry. that guy is awesome he is definetly the hardest hitting safety out plus he doesnt miss tackles at all and doesnt get beat either. Marcus mcneill would be a great 2nd rounder and a safe pick for that round a big strong guy like a J. Ogden.

1st round(pick between 5-10 via trade) Ferguson or DE
2nd round (through from from first and extra 3rd round) Landry
2nd round Mcneill
3rd round Pope
4th round LB
5th round LB/DE
6th round your choice
7th round your choice

Now Bush "could" be great for the texans but he isnt a everydown back he is a westbrook(who didn't win a super bowl) if you look at teams that have won the super bowl they all had big strong everydown RBs none like bush. I know the Pats had Smith and Faulk but the pats had everything going for them an O-line, great OC, and great defense.

If the texans are wanting to rebuild then what do you start with the foundation or the line. cant build something with out a base.

Coach C.
12-07-2005, 10:39 AM
Ok first Winston was named the best OL in the ACC and that is not because of his name. D'Brick has played inconsistently and he has been made to look bad against top competition. Ferguson has struggled keeping his weight at 295 and some insiders have suggested that he might want to think about letting his weight drop and becoming a TE. I doubt that would happen though since he should get paid big money for his pass blocking. The DE from Louiville will be a low first rounder. He is only 256 and not extremely fast. The best DE is likely the huge Ju. Pep like DE at NC state. Mario Williams is the consensus best DE right now. Landry though is a solid pick. The guy is excellent and I have not seen to many flaws in his game other than his top speed. He will likely get a run in the late first round though, but he would be a second round steal. McNeil is nowhere near like J.Ogden. McNeil is a prototype right tackle and might not crack the first round. But with Wintworth and Blaylock looking so bad in there last games he could catapult after workouts. I am not really going to list any guys because I, Morknolle, Jerek, and CADAHNIC are doing a series of offseason looks. The draft one will be later on though.

tulexan
12-07-2005, 10:58 AM
Reggie Bush with the first pick and either Marcus McNeil or Max Jean Gilles with the second.

beerlover
12-07-2005, 11:53 AM
we must wait to see where we select & who is available, how set is our roster & who will be the GM/Coach?

for instance if ownership blows everything up & brings in a hot commodity like Pete Carroll then we're going to see Leinart or Bush, lots of movement in the roster and a more exciting, dynamic offense.

on the other hand if ownership keeps Casserly & Capers (removing Pendry & Fangio) look for a stockpiling of picks, contract re-assesments & return to a streamlined 5 year plan.

of these two options I get the feeling the second is more likely to occur, but who knows I could be wrong. but before we really get going lets see where we finish before we predict what happens :texans:

BuffSoldier
12-07-2005, 12:49 PM
Left Tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson in the first, and TE Leonard Pope in the second hopefully.

Texans Horror
12-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Probably impossible, but get Lewis (TE), Greg Eslinger (C), and somebody for the defensive secondary. I would love to see a new cornerback/safety, but I'm undecided at this point. Buchanon looks horrible, but so did our entire secondary (except D-Rob). But this is shoulds, not what I think they will do, which is an entirely different story/verb.

edo783
12-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Left Tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson in the first, and TE Leonard Pope in the second hopefully.

That's how I would like to see it fall out. Then probably a DE or ILB and then another O-lineman. Good 1st day IMO. If we work out another pick or two by trading back and still getting DBrick...even better. Pick up a DB and/or another O-lineman. I am assuming that Mathis is going to be the #2 WR, if not we should use the 3 or 4th 1st day pick to find one, but I think we allready have one.

tulexan
12-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Mel Kiper was just on PTI and has said that if the Texans have the number one pick they WILL take Reggie Bush and that he would solidify the offense as long as they take care of the OL. Take what you want from it, but Mel Kiper has always been a huge D'Brick to Houston guy and now has switched to Reggie Bush to Houston.

rmartin65
12-07-2005, 05:13 PM
What do you guys think of dropping down into the teens or twenties and grabbing Bobby Carpenter or some other linebacker that has experience rushing the passer? My friends and I were talking about it, the Texans drop low, pick up this years 2nd, and next years 1st and 3rd or something, and then have 2 second round picks and 2 3rd round picks to solidify the oline. Just an idea.

tulexan
12-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Another interesting statement that Mel Kiper said was that Reggie Bush WITH Dominack Davis, Andre Johnson, and David Carr could make the Texans be a playoff team. Sounds like Mel thinks that we would keep Dominack and use Reggie all over the field like he is used at USC.

beerlover
12-07-2005, 05:30 PM
Another interesting statement that Mel Kiper said was that Reggie Bush WITH Dominack Davis, Andre Johnson, and David Carr could make the Texans be a playoff team. Sounds like Mel thinks that we would keep Dominack and use Reggie all over the field like he is used at USC.

exactly Dominack Davis would be used between the tackles like USC uses LenDale White, of course this may be where Pete Carroll enters the picture as well :pigfly:

tulexan
12-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Funny you say that because coming up on Sportscenter they are going to be discussing the possibility of Pete Carroll being the next coach of the Texans.

Texans Horror
12-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Help me out here. Who is Mel Kiper? I've never heard that name before.

tiger06
12-07-2005, 07:04 PM
Help me out here. Who is Mel Kiper? I've never heard that name before.

ESPN draft guru. He'll be on a lot now through April.

real
12-07-2005, 07:06 PM
exactly Dominack Davis would be used between the tackles like USC uses LenDale White, of course this may be where Pete Carroll enters the picture as well :pigfly:
lendale has more speed and agility than DD

YoungTexanFan
12-07-2005, 09:13 PM

Wow, as i read through the first part of that post, i was thinking to myself: "Pete Carroll would have to be here to try that."

then BOOM!

Corrosion
12-07-2005, 09:19 PM
I dont know what you all are smokin but L.Pope is gonna be gone in the mid to late first round ....

Reggie Bush with the first pick and either Marcus McNeil or Max Jean Gilles with the second.

For once we see things the same (There is a first time for everything):homer:

MorKnolle
12-07-2005, 10:44 PM
Mel Kiper changes his draft predictions around every week, so I would take whatever he says now with a grain of salt. He hasn't proven to be overly good at predicting many of the picks the last few years and we still have a whole lot of things to happen before the draft comes, so don't think we are locked into taking Bush just because Kiper said so.

tulexan
12-07-2005, 10:45 PM
Thats true, but Chris Mortensen (who is very reliable) has also said that if the Texans have the first pick then they will select Reggie Bush.

MorKnolle
12-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Many people are saying that right now, but three weeks ago the majority were saying it would be Vince Young if he came out. All I'm saying is we have a lot of football left to determine who will even have the #1 pick and then who the hot college prospect will be the week of the draft. Every year it changes around several times, so whether you're in the Bush camp, Vince Young camp, what have you, don't get your hopes up just because some "expert" at ESPN predicts in early December that we will draft the guy you want.

tulexan
12-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Chris Mortensen isn't a draft guru or expert like Mel Kiper Jr. He is an NFL correspondant who has inside connections. He has never said that the Texans would draft Vince Young, and in fact I have yet to hear an expert say that the Texans will draft a QB. The only ones who are saying that the Texans will or should draft a QB are Texas homers or misinformed angry fans. Most people in the league believe that David Carr is a good quarterback who needs protection and weapons.

beerlover
12-07-2005, 10:58 PM
OK fine. the Texans draft Bush but he needs a running mate a body guard. if you follow my posts you know that my wish is for Davin Joseph (2nd rd pick) he is listed by scouts as a guard but plays LT for Oklahoma. he has the ideal strengths to play RT in the NFL, long arms, strength and running ability. We could leave Pitts @ LT move Wade to LG, Mckinney Center unless Hodgdon can reclaim the starting role & Weigert RG.

dynamic, yes :)

tulexan
12-07-2005, 11:10 PM
I'd like Max Jean Gilles if he is available just because the guy is a monster and an immovable force.

I think a lot of people are overreacting about our line. I mean it is bad, really bad, but we have 4 first day picks and could easily add a play maker with our first pick two linemen or a lineman and a tight end with our next two picks and a player like Slay or Threat or a LB with our last first day pick.

Then we would have the best offensive weapon in the draft, a more solidified line, and another defensive player.

But if we get the second pick and Reggie Bush is picked first, I think we should trade the second pick to a desperate team that wants Matt Leinart and try to get the Eli Manning deal.

MorKnolle
12-07-2005, 11:16 PM
OK fine. the Texans draft Bush but he needs a running mate a body guard. if you follow my posts you know that my wish is for Davin Joseph (2nd rd pick) he is listed by scouts as a guard but plays LT for Oklahoma. he has the ideal strengths to play RT in the NFL, long arms, strength and running ability. We could leave Pitts @ LT move Wade to LG, Mckinney Center unless Hodgdon can reclaim the starting role & Weigert RG.

dynamic, yes :)

Not a bad deal, although I'd prefer Wade at RG and Wiegert at LG, and I'm not sure and have heard other people have doubts that Wade can make the transition to OG, so I'd like to see us draft an OG as well to add depth and to work into some PT for a year and take over the full-time OG roll in their second year, as Wiegert is starting to get old and will need to be replaced in a year or two and Wade plays like he's getting old.

beerlover
12-07-2005, 11:19 PM
I'd like Max Jean Gilles if he is available just because the guy is a monster and an immovable force.

I think a lot of people are overreacting about our line. I mean it is bad, really bad, but we have 4 first day picks and could easily add a play maker with our first pick two linemen or a lineman and a tight end with our next two picks and a player like Slay or Threat or a LB with our last first day pick.

Then we would have the best offensive weapon in the draft, a more solidified line, and another defensive player.

But if we get the second pick and Reggie Bush is picked first, I think we should trade the second pick to a desperate team that wants Matt Leinart and try to get the Eli Manning deal.

all I'm saying is if the Texans have the #1 pick, take Bush they better get a defender on the outside who can move like a Reggie McKenzie and blow out tacklers two, three deep 10- 15 yds down the field. Max is not that type of guy he does more of the inside dirty work (which I fully respect) but I'm looking for a pulling tackle with the agility to shed tacklers and the stamina to blow down the field. Davin is the man, I'll give you the 1st pick in the draft give me the 2nd :ok:

tulexan
12-07-2005, 11:23 PM
OK deal.

Texans Horror
12-08-2005, 02:53 PM
ESPN draft guru. He'll be on a lot now through April.

Thanks!

royce1054
12-08-2005, 06:27 PM
I saw we trade down and pick up 2 first rounders

C Madd
12-09-2005, 11:36 AM

I'd have to agree with almost everything you said here. We could easily draft Bush and take linemen in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I also really like Slay, and wouldn't mind seeing him get drafted.

Big B Texan Fan
12-09-2005, 11:43 AM
and a player like Slay or Threat or a LB with our last first day pick..
With names like Slay and Threat how could you not want them.:jk:

CowboysJJ21
12-09-2005, 12:00 PM
I dont think there is any question here about the #1 pick (if houston gets it). Reggie Bush. He is the most amazing player to come out of college in a looong time. He could possibly be the best running back in the NFL nest year! Yes, better than LT!! D'brick would be a great aquisition yes, but i dont care how slow and bad those texan OTs are, Bush is quick enough to get around them!

:texflag: :texflag:

MorKnolle
12-09-2005, 07:38 PM
I dont think there is any question here about the #1 pick (if houston gets it). Reggie Bush. He is the most amazing player to come out of college in a looong time. He could possibly be the best running back in the NFL nest year! Yes, better than LT!! D'brick would be a great aquisition yes, but i dont care how slow and bad those texan OTs are, Bush is quick enough to get around them!

:texflag: :texflag:

Come on now, let's wait until he's at least gone through training camp much less an entire season before we start saying this kind of nonsense.