00-Jamal Lewis
01-LT
02-William Green
03-Willis Mcgahee
04-Steven Jackson
05-Ronnie Brown

seems kinda hit or miss to me

Last USC running back taken with 1st pick
Ricky Bell-3,000 career yards in NFL, career was sadly cut short by a cardiac arrest, but he was a mediocre back at best in the NFL

Now Im not saying Bush wont be a good player in the NFL but everyone is saying he is way too good to pass up which is probably the same thing the Bengals Were thinking when they took Kijana Carter.

We have a good running back. We desperately need to fill almost every other position on the field. It just doesnt make seem smart to pin our franchises hopes on one guy.

Texas_Thrill
12-06-2005, 04:43 PM
That's Only 15 Years....

tulexan
12-06-2005, 04:57 PM
You convinced me, since the last USC running back that was taken only had 3,000 career yards and ended his career from a cardiac arrest we definitely should not take Reggie Bush.

I'm sorry but that is one of the worst arguments I have ever heard. Who cares what college they go to? Reggie Bush is a rare talent who almost all NFL scouts are saying will be a great NFL player. I guess Steve McNair is a bad quarterback because there weren't many good quarterbacks from Alcorn State before him. Jerry Rice must be terrible because how many wide receivers have come from Mississippi Valley State? LaDanian Tomlinson is awful because there are no good running backs from TCU. Marshall Faulk is horrendous because San Diego State is a bad team.

USC has had several great running backs in their school's history. Marcus Allen and OJ Simpson were Trojans and I think they did pretty good in the NFL.

Ki-Jana Carter was a good college player, but how many people were annointing him the next Gale Sayers (including Gale Sayers)? I think a lot of people here are confusing the difference between the best back in a particular draft and the best back in over a decade.

dc_txtech
12-06-2005, 06:42 PM
Ricky Bell started at rb for two years his first year he led the nation with 1875 yards was a unanimous all american and finished 3rd in heisman voting his next year he finished 2nd. He had 16 games over 100 yards. everything pointed to him being a great pro and he was a bust.

the fact that he went to USC is just a coincedental fact I threw in there. But it just goes to show you there is no such thing as a sure thing.

best back in over a decade? he is already better than LT Sean Alexander and Edgerrin James??? and were not sure what position he will play

YoungTexanFan
12-06-2005, 09:44 PM
LaDanian Tomlinson is awful because there are no good running backs from TCU.

A friend of mine is a RB at TCU. He hurt his knee senior year, but was being looked at by Tenn. He settled for TCU. His name is Adam Medina.

texplayer2
12-06-2005, 11:50 PM
best back in over a decade? he is already better than LT Sean Alexander and Edgerrin James??? and were not sure what position he will play

You are confusing his credentials. Bush is the best prospect in many years of the draft. He is not currently in the NFL, and is not being compared to LT and his like as better at this moment.Many people are comparing his style and possibilities to that of Sayers and others. He will play Running Back. He has the talent/potential to play some at WR,KR,PR. there is absolutely no sure things.:ok: You have to rely on potential and preparation to pick the best atheletes for your team, and hope the learning curve is small through coaching.

YoungTexanFan
12-06-2005, 11:53 PM
You are confusing his credentials. Bush is the best prospect in many years of the draft. He is not currently in the NFL, and is not being compared to LT and his like as better at this moment.Many people are comparing his style and possibilities to that of Sayers and others. He will play Running Back. He has the talent/potential to play some at WR,KR,PR. there is absolutely no sure things.:ok: You have to rely on potential and preparation to pick the best atheletes for your team, and hope the learning curve is small through coaching.

you seem to be arguing against yourself, but the last line of your post has held us, as a collective team, back for two years now.

texplayer2
12-07-2005, 12:15 AM
What I am saying is Bush is the BEST prospect in the draft. He could be Ricky Bell, but he has the potiential to be GALE SAYERS. No player comes with a money back guarantee.

Hervoyel
12-07-2005, 12:23 AM
I see a list of draft picks. Some of them were busts and some were amazing players. I don't see anything in there detailing who selected who though and that is very important. Looking at your list just at a glance I see one thing that leaps out at me. The same badly run teams of the 90's popped up all through this list. You've proven that bad teams tend to draft poorly.

The Cardinals, Bengals, Rams, Bears, and Browns all account for the majority of your lousy choices here. Some of those teams are better now than they were but they all sucked when they made those picks. In between some very smart picks were made in there. The Cardinals drafted Hearst and gave up on him too soon. The Bengals drafted Carter and he got hurt.

If we aren't any better at judging talent than the teams that drafted the busts on your list then trading the first overall pick for more picks isn't going to help us any.

dc_txtech
12-07-2005, 12:59 AM
If we aren't any better at judging talent than the teams that drafted the busts on your list then trading the first overall pick for more picks isn't going to help us any.

absolutely but it gives us more chances to get lucky

tulexan
12-07-2005, 01:17 AM
See I actually think that we don't need as much as we think. I think coaching will take care of a lot of the deficiencies that we have right now. We do though need another playmaker because right now our only threat is Andre Johnson, and he isn't going to see single coverage until we have a threat who can force the opposing defenses to pay attention to. Jerome Mathis has potential to be that guy but he is still very raw and doesn't have great hands. Reggie Bush will demand the attention of the opposing defense or he will make them pay by putting six on the scoreboard.

If our first day picks this April went Bush, OL, OL/TE, S. We would already be in a much better position.