PDA

View Full Version : Reggie bush?

uhcougar08
11-15-2005, 09:48 PM
Whats wrong with selecting Bush in the first round, select a tackle in second to play RT, because Pitts is the future LT, and selecting a OC and OG with our 3rd rounders, and go for the BPA at CB, TE, OLB, DT the rest of the draft?

Coach C.
11-15-2005, 10:01 PM
There is nothing wrong with it if it is going to be best for the team. It will be interesting to see if that is how it actually works out.

infantrycak
11-15-2005, 10:06 PM
Just don't see it. What position is Bush going to play? Is he magically going to become an every down back in the NFL after not doing it in college? He may be the best KR/PR and slot WR ever, but is that worth #1 or #2? Fantastic athlete--just don't see where he fits for that kind of projected cap money.

tulexan
11-15-2005, 10:06 PM
We have more than enough running backs. We have a terrible offensive line. Offensive line is clearly our biggest need and when you can get a LT who is in the same conversation as Walter Jones or Orlando Pace, you don't pass him up. All great running backs and quarterbacks need to have a good offensive line. Right now we have a pathetic offensive line.

tulexan
11-15-2005, 10:07 PM
Just don't see it. What position is Bush going to play? Is he magically going to become an every down back in the NFL after not doing it in college? He may be the best KR/PR and slot WR ever, but is that worth #1 or #2? Fantastic athlete--just don't see where he fits for that kind of projected cap money.

Maurice Drew is a better PR.

uhcougar08
11-15-2005, 10:17 PM
Do yall honestly believe DD is a true running back or is he a system back?
We have one playmaker on our team and he has been hurt for a few games, why cant we have another?
DD is not a playmaker and Bush is, I think that is what we need.
Is DD is so dog gone special, why did we draft a RB in the third round, and isnt DD injury prone just a little bit?

infantrycak
11-15-2005, 10:28 PM

You are joking right?--what system is that--we will let you get hit in the back field every other time and let you scratch out a 3.9 yd average up the middle. Great system--and by the way one Bush has never sniffed a carry in.

We have one playmaker on our team and he has been hurt for a few games, why cant we have another?

I don't mind a playmaker or another starting RB. I would love to have had Steven Jackson for instance, but I don't see where Bush fits. He doesn't replace DD because he can't run inside the tackles, even if he is more durable, more explosive, yada yada. You have to have a RB who can consistantly run up the gut for 3 yds. Has Bush every even tried that?

BuffSoldier
11-15-2005, 10:29 PM
Is DD is so dog gone special, why did we draft a RB in the third round, and isnt DD injury prone just a little bit?

Just because you want Bush, you dont have to talk about DD. I personally dont believe that its a smart pick. First of all a 3rd round offensive lineman wont start his first year, and maybe never, look at Wand. Plus, why would you place a OG at OT just to get an extra RB. Pitts is better at OG, and what people dont understand is that while Bush may be the most exciting player in the draft, Ferguson just may be the best player overall. You can always find skill position players, hey in a few years, Mike Hart, Peterson, and some other backs will come out, but an OT the caliber of Ferguson wont come out again for a while.

uhcougar08
11-15-2005, 10:31 PM
You didnt answer my main question, If DD is so good, why did we draft Morency with our 2nd pick in last years draft?

Coach C.
11-15-2005, 10:31 PM
DD is a special back in the mold of Tiki Barber with maybe less speed and more power. In a system on a different team he would likely put up better numbers where he was not the focus all the time. So honestly yes I think DD is a true running back. We have a couple of playmakers, but we do not have near the same number as the upper echelon teams.

BuffSoldier
11-15-2005, 10:33 PM
You didnt answer my main question, If DD is so good, why did we draft Morency with our 2nd pick in last years draft?
depth, and a great 3rd round value.

infantrycak
11-15-2005, 10:38 PM

Ummm, because DD gets dinged when run too often, because we wanted consistant (same style) depth, because Morency was BPA, because Casserly has anal cranial insertion, etc....do I need more?

uhcougar08
11-15-2005, 10:39 PM
DD is a special back in the mold of Tiki Barber with maybe less speed and more power. In a system on a different team he would likely put up better numbers where he was not the focus all the time. So honestly yes I think DD is a true running back. We have a couple of playmakers, but we do not have near the same number as the upper echelon teams.

Thank You, I just wanted an opionion, not start a war. Im not saying DD is terrible, but with our zone blocking, is he a system back in that scenario. I am refering the Denver Broncos and the numerous high yardage backs they have produced from zone blocking.

What is wrong with Bush as like an LT type, the man has serious break away speed, something none of our RB's have.

infantrycak
11-15-2005, 10:46 PM
Thank You, I just wanted an opionion, not start a war. Im not saying DD is terrible, but with our zone blocking, is he a system back in that scenario. I am refering the Denver Broncos and the numerous high yardage backs they have produced from zone blocking.

What is wrong with Bush as like an LT type, the man has serious break away speed, something none of our RB's have.

If we had anything in common with the Broncos other than the basic scheme you would have a valid point. We do not however. The line is a very eratic zone blocking line--some huge holes for us and some huge holes for the D to get the RB behind the LOS. DD has made a lot out of a little.

If I saw Bush as LT or Sanders I would have no problem taking him in the top 5, but it just isn't there IMO. He simply doesn't get the tough, close-in yards a true RB needs to get through either speed, power, vision, something--they all have a way of getting through the tight traffic. Bush hasn't demonstrated that--elite open field runner, but give me 3 when I need 2 he isn't.

Coach C.
11-15-2005, 10:48 PM
I understood where you were going that is why I did not attack you. I dont think Bush is an LT type. He is quite a bit smaller than LT and he is not a 30 carry back. He can handle the ball 20 times a game and will likely be something around Warrick Dunn. Which is a terrific back and a gamebreaker, but I doubt he will get the ball 30+ times.

BuffSoldier
11-15-2005, 10:48 PM

You can never compare the zone blocking scheme of denver to the scheme that the Texans run. If DD ran behind that o-line then he would be one of the top rushers IMO.

uhcougar08
11-15-2005, 10:51 PM
I threw Bush in here for discussion, but I personally want D'Brickashaw Ferguson to be our RT next season, and I will be completely satisfied. CC ruined my dream of having Derrick Johnson as our OLB last year, and I personally hate the Longhorns. I just dont ever see passing up on a playmaker, but yes I would be tickled pink to have a OT as our first pick.

Coach C.
11-15-2005, 11:14 PM
My question to you is do you honestly think that D'Brick will do well at RT. He is not a strong run blocker and he has a lack of size. At the RT spot he would be matched up against the larger DEs in the league. I like Ferguson, but I like Winston better just because he has more versatility and pretty much the same skill. Some say Ferguson is like Walter Jones and Winston is like Jordan Gross. I dont feel that Ferguson is like Walter Jones but similar in athleticism, but he is alot like a good Alex Barron but slower straight line speed which does not matter.

tulexan
11-15-2005, 11:43 PM
Bush is not LT. Everyone has to get that out of their heads. He is nowhere near the blocker that LT is. Remember, LT played 1 or 2 years as a FB at TCU. Like Coach C. said, Bush will be like a Warrick Dunn or Brian Westbrook type of player. Both are great players, but not worth a #1 overall pick. If we were going to add another back to our team I'd like a big back like a TJ Duckett or Steven Jackson who can just run over people

Our offense will be so much better with a good offensive line. We would finally be able to open up our offense and not have to always have a max protect scheme in place.

beerlover
11-16-2005, 01:00 AM
Reggie Bush reminds me of Reggie Bush :rofl:

break away speed unmatched.

ideal size 205 & 6 ft. tall.

clean bill of health.

makes plays in critical situations.

plays & wins championships.

So then, why would the Texans take him with the 1st pick :confused: don't need him do we? over-rated, over-hyped & over-exposed? I believe somewhere there is a logical explanation :goodnight

MorKnolle
11-16-2005, 08:32 AM
Just because you want Bush, you dont have to talk about DD. I personally dont believe that its a smart pick. First of all a 3rd round offensive lineman wont start his first year, and maybe never, look at Wand. Plus, why would you place a OG at OT just to get an extra RB. Pitts is better at OG, and what people dont understand is that while Bush may be the most exciting player in the draft, Ferguson just may be the best player overall. You can always find skill position players, hey in a few years, Mike Hart, Peterson, and some other backs will come out, but an OT the caliber of Ferguson wont come out again for a while.

First of all I'd like to agree that DD is a solid RB and if we did draft Bush I would put him at WR not RB. I personally would like to see us get either Winston or Ferguson (preferably Winston) with around the 5-8 pick (trade down if we have a higher pick). These two look like they will be elite OL in the NFL, and as you said many times 3rd rounders don't start, but at the same time 6th rounders sometimes start and play very well. Sometimes drafting OL is a toss up whether they turn into something special or not, but I think a lot of that depends on coaching development and the system they run. I would also like to point out that Chester Pitts is not better at OG than OT. If we would leave him at OT I think he could easily be one of the better OT in the league. He has some quickness and good feet and hands but is not a huge, mauling-type OG and he needs to be on the outside where he uses his quickness more. He basically shut Dwight Freeney down twice this year, especially the second game last week where he was alone on Freeney most of the game.

Coach C.
11-16-2005, 09:03 AM
Now that is the meat. Buffsoldier you might want to post some type of rebuttal to this cause right now your whole argument just got blown out of the water.

College Texan
11-16-2005, 01:01 PM
Bush is nothing more than a great slot WR. I don't see him lined up all the way out and I don't see him being a tough RB to tackle up the middle. Make it clear that not everyone in college football is not NFL calibre and USC has alot of NFL calibre players, so you can see why Reggie looks so good on TV and making COLLEGE defenses miss. The NFL is a different story. I agree that a skill position player is easy to find and a lineman is about the hardest thing to find. When you see talent that will revolutionize the game then that is hard to pass up, look at the best back in the league and where he went to college, TCU. SO just because he gets the publicity from being on a great team doesn't mean he is the hard to miss talent.

BuffSoldier
11-16-2005, 07:43 PM
Now that is the meat. Buffsoldier you might want to post some type of rebuttal to this cause right now your whole argument just got blown out of the water.

Dont need a rebuttal to him, if he thinks that Pitts is a better LT than LG, then let him think that, and if he thinks that Winston is a more solid pick than Ferguson, oh well. But as for me, you know where I stand, Pitts at OG, and Ferguson at LT. Go get DF thats what I say.

real
11-16-2005, 08:12 PM
why does everyone think bush will just play reciever, he's not tiny...he's just as big and bigger than some runnigbacks in the leauge right now....

real
11-16-2005, 08:18 PM
why does everyone think bush will just play reciever, he's not tiny...he's just as big and bigger than some runnigbacks in the leauge right now....
and another thing everyone is saying DD is such a solid running back....this guy is injured every year...

texplayer2
11-16-2005, 08:20 PM
I don't see where Bush fits. He doesn't replace DD because he can't run inside the tackles, even if he is more durable, more explosive, yada yada. You have to have a RB who can consistantly run up the gut for 3 yds. Has Bush every even tried that?

I hope the philosphy of our new coach does not involve 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Put Bush in motion, and take some pressure off DD and Carr, and maybe it could be more like 5-6 yards a carry for DD. We could use more speed and weapons.

tulexan
11-16-2005, 08:26 PM

Heightwise he may be as big as most everydown back in the league, but he is much lighter for his size. There are everydown backs who are as heavy, but they are shorter and more compact. Someone his height should be around 220 or 225. He is listed at 200, which means he is probably 190.

infantrycak
11-16-2005, 08:27 PM

It isn't so much his size IMO as it is how he runs. He is a fantastic open field guy, but I just don't believe it is smart to have a RB who can't run between the tackles and having a $9 mil a year player to take pressure off AJ and DD doesn't seem like good cap management IMO.

While size is not so much the major issue, Bush's build is not prototypical. While there are 6' RB's and RB's who are 200 lbs or not far from it, there aren't many who are both. DD has a classic build now for RB's shared with guys such as LT and Holmes--5' 9" (so significantly shorter--lower center of gravity, shorter legged) and 220 lbs (so signficanly heavier in a shorter package). To have the same proportionate build as those guys, Bush would need to be 6' and 230 ish.

Blake
11-17-2005, 10:31 AM
So who thinks Bush will be a slot WR? Who thinks bush will be a RB?

TheOgre
11-17-2005, 11:15 AM
I see Bush in the same mold as Brian Westbrook. Do you notice the issues that Philly has right now establishing the run with Westbrook as it primary back? Do we want to use a top 3 pick on someone that is a 10-15 carry guy and a special teamer?

I get the feeling that people don't like the idea of a LT with the 1st pick. It is the single most difficult position to fill on a team. If you look around the league, approximately half of the starting LT's are 1st rounders. Many of those guys were in fact top 10 selections. There are very few non-1st rounders that are any more than adequate at the position. It isn't a flashy position, but it is the single biggest need for this team long-term.

Oh Pitts is doing well? You want to pass on a LT because of Pitts? I personally don't think Pitts is anything more than an adequate LT. I think he could excel as a RT though. So why have a mediocre LT and RT when you can have two stud OT's?

infantrycak
11-17-2005, 11:22 AM
I get the feeling that people don't like the idea of a LT with the 1st pick. It is the single most difficult position to fill on a team. If you look around the league, approximately half of the starting LT's are 1st rounders. Many of those guys were in fact top 10 selections. There are very few non-1st rounders that are any more than adequate at the position. It isn't a flashy position, but it is the single biggest need for this team long-term.

I certainly have no problem with the Texans using a 1st round pick on a LT. I do have a problem every year with the attitude that the #1 need must be filled with the #1 player at that position. IF, the Texans have concerns about D'Brick or like Winston or someone else's style better for the system they are going to run or view the talent drop off as not significant then I would expect them to do the smart thing and try to get value for moving from #1 to #7 or #3 to #10 to get their guy or a guy they feel has equal value, manage the cap and add a pick or picks to help fill other holes.

Vinny
11-17-2005, 11:34 AM
The Bengals were raked over the coals for "blowing" their top 10 pick on Levi Jones a few years back but it was one of the key moves they made to solidify their line and they haven't looked back since then and have not regressed what so ever. He anchors a line that is ready to compete in the playoffs for years to come now. If a LT grades high enough, I'm all for it in the top 5. If not, I'd rather see us take a player that grades higher and take a second round Tackle or trade down to around pick 10 and take a Tackle. Bottom line is I want value for the pick and not a need pick that is forced. Guys like Leonard Davis and Mike Williams were need picks that I bet the Cardinals and Bills wish they had to do over.

I have my reservations on Bush as well...mostly for the reason's Infantrycak has posted. He is within 16 carries and 100 yards of LenDale White and White runs between the tackles. Open field running is a fantastic skill but you just don't see near as many long runs in the NFL since the players are faster at every single position. Breaking tackles is a much more valued skill set in the Pros.

beerlover
11-17-2005, 11:35 AM
Reggie Bush does not = Brian Westbrook, if you mean stylisticlty then there are similarities but Bush does everything better. I'm not sure if he's been nursing a hamstring injury or USC is just saving him for UT, but if Pete Carrol turns him loose & he is healthy he can take over a game ala Vince Young.

I agree with taking the LT with the 1st pick however it just makes me nervous which one Casserly thinks is the better prospect :rolleyes:

With Pitts we know what we have- a serviceable LT, thats a start. why did it take 4 years to figure this out? We also recently re-signed Chester so this gives us some stablity there, plus for the LT position excellent value and some cap room to sign a top LT via the draft. I would prefeer leaving him for the time being @ LT and starting the #1 pick (Winston:confused: ) at RT. Then drafting Davin Joseph the best guard in the draft to take Pitts position at LG.

infantrycak
11-17-2005, 12:00 PM
As one last comment on having the flexibility I think Vinny and I are talking about, consider Khalif Barnes from last year. He was mentioned some as a 1st round prospect, but went with the 20th pick of the 2nd round last year. In 5 starts at LT this year he has had 2 penalties and .5 sacks. Especially in a draft that is supposed to be incredible at LT, the Texans should at least consider their options on LT's other than the top 1.

beerlover
11-17-2005, 12:05 PM
As one last comment on having the flexibility I think Vinny and I are talking about, consider Khalif Barnes from last year. He was mentioned some as a 1st round prospect, but went with the 20th pick of the 2nd round last year. In 5 starts at LT this year he has had 2 penalties and .5 sacks. Especially in a draft that is supposed to be incredible at LT, the Texans should at least consider their options on LT's other than the top 1.

I agree. if the Texans had not traded away their 2nd pick they could have drafted Khalif Barnes:brickwall look at the difference in protection for Leftwich this year, last year he was getting killed this year he has time to stand in the pocket and hit his rookie WR Matt Jones.

Blake
11-17-2005, 12:41 PM

Do you have any players in mind for the first rounder, if we choose to wait till the 2nd to try and get Scott, or another LT prospect?

For some reason I dont like the Idea of Matt or Bush from USC. Maybe a trade down and pick up a defender?

infantrycak
11-17-2005, 01:05 PM
Do you have any players in mind for the first rounder, if we choose to wait till the 2nd to try and get Scott, or another LT prospect?

For some reason I dont like the Idea of Matt or Bush from USC. Maybe a trade down and pick up a defender?

Well it would all be rank speculation at this point depending on the final draft order, coach and D system next year, Pennington's prognosis, Culpepper's prognosis, what calls the GM receives (a 3rd to move down 2 spots vs. a 1st and 2nd to move down 5 spots), etc. Guys who seem like they could be value depending on where the Texans land and could help the team include--D'Brick, Winston, Hawk, Jimmy Williams, Kiwanuka, Marcedes Lewis, Ngata. Basically I try not to get caught up in a particular need order for things and want to see flexibility to maximize upgrading talent.

real
11-17-2005, 01:14 PM
None of you who are saying take D'brick or winston with the first pick could have seen them play. These guys arent worthy of the first overall pick. The reason I say we take reggie bush is because playmakers of his caliber dont come around everyday...the only thing that is acceptable other than picking Bush with the first overall pick is trading down and picking up two first rounders...It the texans arent doing one of the two then they have made a mistake

ThaShark316
11-17-2005, 01:30 PM
I know Winston was getting abused by FSU...on the flip side..who wasn't getting abused on that Miami o-line by those Seminoles?

About El Presidente...I would like to have him...reason...because of Dominick. If DD gets banged up and can't go a few games, we can put Bush at RB....and ya'll know Reggie going to be HELLBENT on proving people wrong. Personally, I think he CAN carry the ball 20+ times...reason he doesnt do it @ USC, is really because he doesn't have to, thanks to one LenDale White. Whoever drafts Bush will get a guy who plays in the slot AND who gets about 10-15 maybe 20 carries a week.

It really depends on that team's RBs and their offense.

real
11-17-2005, 02:46 PM
I know Winston was getting abused by FSU...on the flip side..who wasn't getting abused on that Miami o-line by those Seminoles?

About El Presidente...I would like to have him...reason...because of Dominick. If DD gets banged up and can't go a few games, we can put Bush at RB....and ya'll know Reggie going to be HELLBENT on proving people wrong. Personally, I think he CAN carry the ball 20+ times...reason he doesnt do it @ USC, is really because he doesn't have to, thanks to one LenDale White. Whoever drafts Bush will get a guy who plays in the slot AND who gets about 10-15 maybe 20 carries a week.

Thank you finnally someone who sees the light............and it's not if but when DD gets banged up...hes been banged up every year

MorKnolle
11-17-2005, 03:09 PM
The only reason Davis got hurt this year is because the coaches were apparently trying to give him 30-35 touches a game and wore him down. Almost every RB in the league who got the ball that much has had some kind of nagging injuries from it, look what happened to Cadillac after their fourth game. I would have thought the whole point of drafting Morency and having Wells would be to give Davis a break every 3-5 plays so this kind of thing wouldn't happen.

TheOgre
11-17-2005, 03:24 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with the Texans trading down and grabbing the 2nd or 3rd OT and getting another high pick to use on a pass-rusher or whatever. I would like them to get the best value they can too. I don't want us to take Ferguson if he grades out much lower than the alternatives.

However, I do think we have to take an OT very early (in all likelihood sometime in the 1st) in THIS draft. It is the only key position on the team that we haven't tried to address through the draft, but more importantly, it is considered to be one of the better 1st round crops in a while.

I'd love to see us trade down and get a couple of 1st round selections. Then we can grab one of those top few OT's and still add value somewhere else.

real
11-17-2005, 05:45 PM
The problem with Davis is..he isnt explosive enough to be a starting running back...he would be a good second stringer...but he doesn't have the ability to score from anywhere on the field, and there aren't too many teams that don't have a starting running back that can do that.

infantrycak
11-17-2005, 05:50 PM
The problem with Davis is..he isnt explosive enough to be a starting running back...he would be a good second stringer...but he doesn't have the ability to score from anywhere on the field, and there aren't too many teams that don't have a starting running back that can do that.

And the problem with Bush is he isn't a true RB he is a broken field runner. Combine his instincts and speed with DD's body and you have Tomlinson--a true elite RB.

real
11-17-2005, 05:54 PM
And the problem with Bush is he isn't a true RB he is a broken field runner. Combine his instincts and speed with DD's body and you have Tomlinson--a true elite RB.
I never said replace DD with Bush, I just think we could use that extra weapon...Id like to see bush used all over the field...backfield, slot, reciever...

infantrycak
11-17-2005, 05:58 PM
I never said replace DD with Bush, I just think we could use that extra weapon...Id like to see bush used all over the field...backfield, slot, reciever...

Maybe so, and I will readilly admit if I am wrong a couple years down the road. I just don't see having the highest paid guy on your team, around $9.1 mil per year, be a jack of all trades.

Folks can call me insane but I would rather spend a #10 (I know that wasn't his spot but for argument's sake) salary on Steven Jackson than a #1 salary for Bush to help the team out next year.

real
11-17-2005, 06:03 PM
You're right, and the only other scenario that would be logical is to trade down for two first rounders or a first and a second...I just think picking a LT with the 1st overall is silly when theres no definitive Superior pick...

edo783
11-17-2005, 07:01 PM
Assuming we have the 1st pick, to trade down and get two 1st rounders, particularly in the same draft, would require us to trade with someone picking in the mid teens IMO. A 1st this year and a 1st next year MIGHT allow us to stay in the top 10 this year. A 1st this year and a 2nd this year MIGHT allow us to stay close to the top 5, but all of that depends on where WE are sitting and what player is available. IF we can stay in the top 5 (assuming we don't have the 1st pick) and gain an extra first day pick this year and a first day next year, that is something I could vote for.

rmartin65
11-17-2005, 07:03 PM
Maybe so, and I will readilly admit if I am wrong a couple years down the road. I just don't see having the highest paid guy on your team, around $9.1 mil per year, be a jack of all trades.

Hines Ward was a jack of all trades and it worked for the Steelers right?

real
11-17-2005, 07:09 PM
I know the Texans probably won't pick reggie bush especially if casserly is still there... I can give him picking D.Carr and not J.Peppers, but with all that talent and our teams needs how he came to the conclusion we needed Travis Johnson is beyond me. I would really like to see Reggie Bush in a Texans uni next season but D'Brick would't be a horrible pick either...either way they should win

infantrycak
11-17-2005, 09:58 PM
Hines Ward was a jack of all trades and it worked for the Steelers right?

I don't think there was any serious doubt Ward was going to be a WR in the NFL, he was a 3rd rounder (gambling territory vs. the #1 pick) and I wouldn't pay $9.1 mil per year for Hines Ward even after his 3 pro-bowl appearances.

YoungTexanFan
11-17-2005, 10:31 PM
9.1 million can get you a lot of help this offseason. If you want a RB so badly, look for Edge, maybe even Alexander. Last offseason they could have been had for around that and a second rounder.

MorKnolle
11-17-2005, 11:17 PM
9.1 million can get you a lot of help this offseason. If you want a RB so badly, look for Edge, maybe even Alexander. Last offseason they could have been had for around that and a second rounder.

Just want to point out that if we drafted Bush at #1 we wouldn't pay him $9 million a year, that kind of salary only goes to QBs, not RBs, even at the #1 spot.

beerlover
11-18-2005, 12:03 AM
Just want to point out that if we drafted Bush at #1 we wouldn't pay him $9 million a year, that kind of salary only goes to QBs, not RBs, even at the #1 spot.

the number one pick in the NFL will get at least 10 - 12 million. I don't care if he is a RB or a LT or a QB or a MLB or a CB etc.....etc....etc.... I would even think that 15 -20 million is not out of the question so prepare yourself :howdy:

infantrycak
11-18-2005, 07:33 AM

That simply isn't how it is done anymore which is why you don't see many players but QB's at the top--they are the only ones teams want to spend that kind of money on. Players are slotted by draft position plus about a 10% bump from the prior year. You really don't see any cases where the contracts in the 1st round are out of order i.e. the 4th guy getting more money than the 3rd. The team with the #1 pick will end up paying for the slot or their brand new shiny draft pick will be sitting at home holding out for the year.

MorKnolle
11-18-2005, 07:58 AM
That simply isn't how it is done anymore which is why you don't see many players but QB's at the top--they are the only ones teams want to spend that kind of money on. Players are slotted by draft position plus about a 10% bump from the prior year. You really don't see any cases where the contracts in the 1st round are out of order i.e. the 4th guy getting more money than the 3rd. The team with the #1 pick will end up paying for the slot or their brand new shiny draft pick will be sitting at home holding out for the year.

A RB drafted #1 will not get a 5-6 year $60 million like the trend has been going for QBs. You are right that most people pick QBs that high because they are the only ones they want to pay that much, but still if a RB goes #1 I would be shocked if they gave him more than a $40 million contract, which is still a lot of money.

infantrycak
11-18-2005, 08:22 AM
A RB drafted #1 will not get a 5-6 year $60 million like the trend has been going for QBs. You are right that most people pick QBs that high because they are the only ones they want to pay that much, but still if a RB goes #1 I would be shocked if they gave him more than a $40 million contract, which is still a lot of money.

The Dolphins got into a fight with Ronnie Brown about not wanting to pay him #2 money. They did in the end. Same thing with Cedric Benson. They got #2 and #4 money, not something lower than #3 WR Braylon Edwards. The year before Sean Taylor got #5 money which put him instantly into the league as the highest paid safety.

Texas_Thrill
11-19-2005, 08:48 AM
Well we know there is always an increase (inflation) over the previous year's #1 pick. So you sorta have to base it around that and position does matter believe it or not but draft spot matters more.

I think NONE of us know if Reggie Bush can be a full time back. I'm nto sure how ya'll can say if he can do everything how he isnt a every down back.

Is marshall faulk not one b/c he can do everything? (No I'm not comparing the two).

Warrick Dunn would be a better example. Atlanta has allowed him to be the every down back spelled with duckett and he's doing just fine.

I think a combination of Bush and Wells would be wonderful with Morency or Davis being our 3rd down back or WHATEVER BACK.

ALL THAT SAID....DRAFT A LINEMAN.

The Preacher
11-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Warrick Dunn would be a better example. Atlanta has allowed him to be the every down back spelled with duckett and he's doing just fine.

Exactly what I was thinking if Dunn can be stellar then Bush should be a great one barring injury. The Texans would never draft him though our pick could be the most telegraphed of all time. The line is a nationwide joke that must be addressed. I'm sure the staff had the 2006 draft in mind for putting an o-line together. Unfortunately for them that is probably way too late.

gg no re
11-19-2005, 02:01 PM
Warrick Dunn is the beneficiary of having Michael Vick in the backfield. You tell me you wouldn't hesitate to spot the bootleg.

Add to the fact that aside from Carolina, Chicago, Dallas, Philadelphia, and Washington, there exists no real defense in the NFC in the past 3 years.

Reggie Bush would be a dangerous playmaker, but he's not an NFL-calibre running back. I consider him the BPA of the draft, but that just makes him a want. The Texans have needs.

tulexan
11-19-2005, 02:04 PM
He also benefits from having TJ Duckett have 10-15 carries a game along with Michael Vick scrambling.

HomeBred_Texan
11-19-2005, 03:45 PM
Reggie Bush would be a dangerous playmaker, but he's not an NFL-calibre running back. I consider him the BPA of the draft, but that just makes him a want. The Texans have needs.
Oh My!!!!!!!!

Are you kidding me????? NOT an nfl caliber player???? This has to be the most ignorant statement as of this date....

Not only do WE need him, I will be mad if we dont get him. Pick up O-Linemen in the 2nd round of every draft and we would not be having this discussion. RBush will take so much off of Carr and the O-Linemen, it's not even funny....

tulexan
11-19-2005, 03:53 PM
Pick up O-Linemen in the 2nd round of every draft and we would not be having this discussion.

But we didn't, and that is why we need to address the position now.

HomeBred_Texan
11-19-2005, 04:17 PM
But we didn't, and that is why we need to address the position now.
Not when we have the number 1 overall pick. You take the BEST Player available period. That is what Super Bowl teams are made of...

tulexan
11-19-2005, 04:19 PM
That's right Super Bowl teams are made of the Best Player available. But Super Bowl teams also don't have gaping holes in their offensive line. We do.

HomeBred_Texan
11-19-2005, 04:26 PM
That's right Super Bowl teams are made of the Best Player available. But Super Bowl teams also don't have gaping holes in their offensive line. We do.
What exactly makes a good O-Line???

Patching people togeather or playing the same ones over and over until they "season" togeather. Again, coaching plays a big part in this and we have not had the right ones... We don't have allot of gapping holes to fill as you try and suggest. 1 pro-bowler in the back field can change the whole team around, not 1 lineman...

tulexan
11-19-2005, 05:31 PM
Well that back won't be a pro-bowler behind our line. I'm not saying that one lineman will completely change the line, but he will help a lot. We need to draft a few linemen this year or sign some through FA. Our rushing game is fine considering the bad offensive line we have and it will only get better once we address our biggest hole. If we had to choose any skill position I would go with a TE or a #2 WR. We have to give the opposing defenses reasons not to double AJ every single play and right now we have none.

threetoedpete
11-19-2005, 09:00 PM

Agreed. I believe RB is a function of a great college player on a great college team. I don't see Tony Dorsett, whom although light, was a ferrocious running back for his size. We have a nice stable of running backs. I see RB as a three season chandlier and a cap heart ache. JMHO. I'm preying untill May that this team dosen't make that error.

run-david-run
11-19-2005, 10:54 PM
Maurice Drew is a better PR.
and?

run-david-run
11-19-2005, 10:56 PM
So you complain about DD not being durable enough, than you want to select a guy who gets about 10-15 carries a game, most of them off tackle or on sweeps... how can you not see the contradiction in that?:brickwall

run-david-run
11-19-2005, 11:02 PM

How many times have you seen DD breake one that you though would go for a long TD run, only to be caught? From my memory, it only happned once, ahainst Tennesse, and that wsa sitll a 44 yd gain. What that tells you is that our o-line does not allow for many big plays. Ussually DD has to make a cut before the line of scrimmage because there is penetration or the hole is not there. Bassically, a RB for our Texans has to pick and choose and work for every single yard. From what I have seen of Bush, I am sure he would take a couple 70 yds for a TD, but he would have a lot of runs for -5 yds trying to make something happen, but having no where to go because of our line... Bush could be a great player in the NFL, but we are not the team to tap his potential..

run-david-run
11-19-2005, 11:05 PM
and another thing everyone is saying DD is such a solid running back....this guy is injured every year...
he represents 60% of our offensive production... by the way, the injury he has is common for NFL running backs when they get a lot of carries..

tulexan
11-19-2005, 11:11 PM
and?

Someone said that Reggie Bush may be one of the greatest KR/PR ever, and I was simply stating that Maurice Drew is a better PR than Reggie Bush. And considering that I quoted the message I was referencing, this should have been obvious.

run-david-run
11-19-2005, 11:12 PM

I agree with that, I just dont think that the Texans fit him right now. This could all change if we get a new coach, but right now, the Texans would be the absoulte worst team for Bush to go to...

run-david-run
11-19-2005, 11:14 PM
Emmitt Smith was nowhere near the fastest guy on the field, he is currently the NFL's leading rusher. Its not all about 40 times...

run-david-run
11-19-2005, 11:16 PM
Not when we have the number 1 overall pick. You take the BEST Player available period. That is what Super Bowl teams are made of...
How did you possibly come to that conclusion?

Super Bowl teams draft to their need areas, they dont get attracted by media hype.

tulexan
11-19-2005, 11:20 PM
How did you possibly come to that conclusion?

Super Bowl teams draft to their need areas, they dont get attracted by media hype.

I completely agree. Super Bowl teams draft positions that they have holes in. The Lions and the Jaguars draft hyped up players that they don't need.

YoungTexanFan
11-19-2005, 11:27 PM
I completely agree. Super Bowl teams draft positions that they have holes in. The Lions and the Jaguars draft hyped up players that they don't need.

Yes, and the steelers have been drafting very well also. Cincy and Dallas have drafted very well the past few years as well, and look at them now.

The browns and seahawks are quite possibly the 2 worst teams when it comes to the NFL draft.

Reddevil63
11-20-2005, 01:13 AM
Watching the USC/FS game has made me realize something, if Bush thinks he's going to be able to dance around like that between the tackles in the NFL, they are going to carry him off the field on a stretcher. He has to learn how to hit the hole much much faster than that.

tulexan
11-20-2005, 01:28 AM
I was actually thinking the same thing. Reggie is a great player, and this game might have sealed up a heisman for him, but he still does not run in between the tackles and when he does, he dances around well before hitting the hole. He may be a good player in the NFL, a Warrick Dunn type, but until he is able to run between the tackles and not just an outside runner, he will not be a very successful running back. He might have highlight runs every once in a while on Sportscenter, but he won't be leading the league in anything.

Kaiser Toro
11-20-2005, 07:34 AM
I was actually thinking the same thing. Reggie is a great player, and this game might have sealed up a heisman for him, but he still does not run in between the tackles and when he does, he dances around well before hitting the hole. He may be a good player in the NFL, a Warrick Dunn type, but until he is able to run between the tackles and not just an outside runner, he will not be a very successful running back. He might have highlight runs every once in a while on Sportscenter, but he won't be leading the league in anything.

Absolutley agree. Bush is very exciting, but to pick him up with the first pick is a stretch when he is not on the field for goal line situations for his own team.

I do understand my expectations are out of whack for the 1st pick of the draft, see my posts about DC, but when you make this investment you should get the best all around player, at least at their position, who has the ability to go on every down.

gg no re
11-20-2005, 10:31 AM
Oh My!!!!!!!!

Are you kidding me????? NOT an nfl caliber player???? This has to be the most ignorant statement as of this date....

Reggie Bush would be a dangerous playmaker, but he's not an NFL-calibre running back.

There's a difference between player and running back.

A player doesn't need to take many hits. A running back does have to take many hits. Bush looks like he has to take many hits if he wants to be an NFL-calibre running back.

Johnny Utah
11-20-2005, 10:32 AM
Many of the carries that Bush busted for long gains against Fresno were between the tackles.

However, he never really got touched in any of those carries. :)

tulexan
11-20-2005, 10:34 AM
Chris Mortensen just said on ESPN that if the Texans or the Niners have the #1 pick then he is almost a lock to be #1. Maybe Mort read that article in the Chronicle the other day.

HardKnockTexan
11-20-2005, 10:40 AM
I've been saying all along that the Texans have to take the top LT available. Now I'm not so sure. With the performance Pitts had against Freeney... if he can continue to play like that for the rest of the season, then I think we already have a stud left tackle. Reggie Bush looked amazing last night and I really hope the Texans arent in the possition to get a player of his callibar for a long, long time. So now I say, if we have the top pick, we take Reggie Bush! :yahoo:

HardCoreTxn
11-20-2005, 11:07 AM
We should try to get D'Bricashaw Ferguson and/or Eric Winston, then go for LaCharles Bentley, I dont see the point in picking up Bush without addressing our O-Line, he's good, but he's not Superman, it would just ruin this kids career. :twocents:

Reddevil63
11-20-2005, 11:15 AM
Many of the carries that Bush busted for long gains against Fresno were between the tackles.

He may have gone to the inside of a tackle, but lose long runs were still designed to go outside. The runs I saw that were actually designed to go inside, Bush danced around trying to break the long run instead of hitting the hole and getting 5 yards. It didnt work against Fresno State, and it sure as hell wont work against NFL defenders.

tulexan
11-20-2005, 11:22 AM
That is something that really annoys me with RBs. Good RBs will shoot through the hole like a bullet, not dance around in the back field.

tulexan
11-20-2005, 12:09 PM
Fresno State was pretty impressive last night. I think they are making some big strides to becoming an elite team.

Reddevil63
11-20-2005, 12:29 PM
Fresno State was pretty impressive last night. I think they are making some big strides to becoming an elite team.
Ya, its going to be a shame they are going to lose spots in the polls, if anything they should jump up a few.

tulexan
11-20-2005, 12:36 PM
I don't think they will drop much if at all. If anything, this game proved that they deserved to be at 16 rather than schools like Texas Tech or Louisville.

rmartin65
11-20-2005, 12:37 PM
Bush was amazing last night.

tulexan
11-20-2005, 12:43 PM
He was amazing. It was one of the most impressive performances I have ever seen. BUT...when watching the NFL games today, you see how much faster defenses are getting to the outside rush. He isn't going to be able to run by everyone in the NFL because there are defensive players who are just as big and fast as he is. Kind of like how the option is never successful in the NFL. Defenses are just way too fast to consistently beat them with an option play. That is going to be the main problem that he is going to have.

Davis37
11-20-2005, 01:34 PM
Watching the USC/FS game has made me realize something, if Bush thinks he's going to be able to dance around like that between the tackles in the NFL, they are going to carry him off the field on a stretcher. He has to learn how to hit the hole much much faster than that.

I agree. He tries to dance around in the backfield when there isnt a huge hole for him to run through. In the NFL those are going to turn into big losses.

Napa Auto Parts
11-20-2005, 02:02 PM
WoW bush just sealed his future with the texans last night no way we let him go with the 1st pick.

Texas_Thrill
11-20-2005, 02:04 PM
We don't know what he would be like in the NFL truly speaking. I think he's a smart enough player to adjust to his competition around him. If he can dance he'll dance if he needs to hit a hole he will.

Barry (no they aren't the same) danced quite a bit himself back in the day so don't say just b/c a RB doesn't HIT the hole he can't be successful.

Carr Bombed
11-20-2005, 02:57 PM
We don't know what he would be like in the NFL truly speaking. I think he's a smart enough player to adjust to his competition around him. If he can dance he'll dance if he needs to hit a hole he will.

Barry (no they aren't the same) danced quite a bit himself back in the day so don't say just b/c a RB doesn't HIT the hole he can't be successful.

exactly you just took the words right out of my mouth. Also I find it funny people knock him for dancing around defenders or taking the ball to the outside and running around them. I mean why wouldn't he do that, athleticly he is on a entire different field then the players around him. when he gets to the pro game he'll have to make adjustments just like every other player drafted before him. Its also funny how people say he's not a 25-30 carry back, he doesn't have to be. There really isn't many 30 carry backs anymore. If you look at the teams that are having success most have a double threat in the backfield. Also I think Reggies lack of carries has more to do with the fact that Pete Carrol does a great job of feeding everyone's egos on that team and he does a great job of making sure everybody gets their numbers. If Reggie played on a less talented team his carries would go up, but you saw who they went to when the chips were down and they needed the lead. the only reason they have been able to keep this streak alive is Reggie. He won them the ND game and won them the game last night. Also I don't know why people say he doesn't fit in our system. I think he's a perfect fit, could you imagine him catching passes out of the backfield instead of DD. People have said that teams would rather have DD catch those passes because they can keep the play in front of them and prevent long gains and they allow us those plays. If they allow Reggie to catch passes in the open field he is going to tear them up. He would easily become Carr's favorite target and when you line him up in the slot no more double downs on AJ.

metalmike
11-20-2005, 03:06 PM
Bush is a great RB, and will do fine in the NFL. However is the Texans grab him then they still have a big O-Line problem. Hard to run with no holes. Hopefully they'll finally bulk up at O-Line.

Carr Bombed
11-20-2005, 03:19 PM
Really wouldn't say we have no holes that horrible run blocking line allowed a former 4th round pick to post back to back 1000 yard seasons, even with being injured. I'm all for drafting lineman this draft is supposed to be deep with them.

tulexan
11-20-2005, 03:41 PM
The only major concern regarding Bush is that he isn't an every down back. So unless you have a big bruiser back that you can use in short yardage situations, you need to add a complimentary back who can do what Reggie can't. They tried using him on the goal line last night and failed miserably. So if you want to draft Reggie then you are saying that we should trade DD for a TJ Duckett or Brandon Jacobs type of back, plus upgraded linemen.

Wolf
11-20-2005, 04:18 PM
I'd say draft linemen and in a year or two Peterson will be available :heh:

Carr Bombed
11-20-2005, 04:28 PM
The only major concern regarding Bush is that he isn't an every down back. So unless you have a big bruiser back that you can use in short yardage situations, you need to add a complimentary back who can do what Reggie can't. They tried using him on the goal line last night and failed miserably. So if you want to draft Reggie then you are saying that we should trade DD for a TJ Duckett or Brandon Jacobs type of back, plus upgraded linemen.

wells? 6'1 at about 250 pounds. Plus whos talking about trading DD you need two quality backs. Heck the steelers have three of them Staley, Bettis, and Parker. That kind of running attack takes pressure off your line and your passing targets, whens the last time you've seen AJ wide open. No offense, but defenses don't respect DD, they don't go into a game and say we got to find a way to stop DD. They don't say we need to be careful when we blitz, because DD might burn us for a big run. Teams look at their schedule and see us and say blitz blitz blitz, because theres not much playmaking ability on the offensive side of the ball for them to respect. Imagine burning the blitz with a couple of screen passes to bush, which he would be a threat to take it to the house at anytime. That would go a long way at keeping the defense honest and making them stay at home. The only thing DD has proven over the past 3 years is that he can't handle the load and needs someone to split carries with. He is a quality inside runner, but has no burst when he gets to the second level and doesn't have the speed to get to the outside.

gg no re
11-20-2005, 04:31 PM
You don't account for the frequency at which Carr will be sacked.

tulexan
11-20-2005, 04:44 PM
Well if we draft Reggie Bush instead of a lineman, then his sack numbers will go up even more because Reggie can't block at all. He will just get run over and David will get sacked. Then we will have 2 injured players.

Carr Bombed
11-20-2005, 04:54 PM
whos saying were not going to draft any lineman? Don't be so closed minded. This draft is full with quality lineman. I guess the jags Khalif barnes is trash because he was taken in the second round. Bush is a game breaker and would provide immediate relief and success to a team thats looking for any kind of lift or anything positive.

tulexan
11-20-2005, 05:16 PM
I just don't want this to be another year where we pick up all of these "can't miss" position players while still avoiding the biggest problem on the team. If we address the line through FA and a few high picks in the draft, then go ahead and pick Bush. But do you want another draft where we pick a RB, WR, CB, FS, and then a lineman in the 6th round? If the team believes that taking Bush #1 is the best thing for the team, then I will accept it, because he is exciting to watch and can't do any harm, but we must still be committed to fixing the line early in the draft and not say that a position player will make the line better.

Carr Bombed
11-20-2005, 05:27 PM
hey Im with you I want to fix the line I wouldn't mind throwing a 2nd and 3rd at it. I just think all our offensive woes are not directly tied into the line. We have one playmaker on offense who can be contained by double teams a couple of more playmakers will go along way in getting this offense clicking

Reddevil63
11-20-2005, 05:30 PM
Well how is a guy who cant run between the tackles going to be a playmaker in the NFL? RB's at this level have to be very powerful, and Im sorry, I just dont see it in him right now.

tulexan
11-20-2005, 05:33 PM
Exactly. I do think that getting a versitile TE is very important this year too. We can't continue to have solely receiving TEs and solely blocking TEs. If we are going to use that approach we might as well just tell the defense the plays we are running. Although I would like to get D'Brick, I wouldn't be upset if we drafted Bush with the first, a guard like Jean Gilles or a tackle like McNeil in the second, and then a TE like Pope in the third. Because at least we would be addressing our needs rather than drafting for depth rather than filling holes.

tulexan
11-20-2005, 05:46 PM
hey Im with you I want to fix the line I wouldn't mind throwing a 2nd and 3rd at it. I just think all our offensive woes are not directly tied into the line. We have one playmaker on offense who can be contained by double teams a couple of more playmakers will go along way in getting this offense clicking

I agree that he isn't going to be able to be an every down back. Who really knows what he will be? But he could be successful in a scheme where he wouldn't have to be an everydown back like Green Bay or Atlanta. A lot of teams are going to a RB by committee style game. The Texans could do it, but they would have to make some changes including upgrading the line.

Carr Bombed
11-20-2005, 05:58 PM
I guess were just going to have to wait this one out. I just don't want them to screw this draft up.

tulexan
11-20-2005, 06:02 PM
That is my biggest worry too.

gg no re
11-20-2005, 06:13 PM
They'll find a way to screw it up.

Reddevil63
11-20-2005, 06:32 PM
I guess were just going to have to wait this one out. I just don't want them to screw this draft up.
Oh so true, I trusted them the first couple of years, but Im nervous.

texplayer2
11-20-2005, 08:34 PM

Its called speed and agility. Bush has both. Seems Mathis does too. What a kick-off return. Speed and Agility.

texplayer2
11-20-2005, 08:58 PM

This guy is flying through the holes. That is what he does. No one in college I have seen lately, hits the holes as fast. The cuts are generally done in the secondary, when he has guys trying to get angles on him. He can turn on a dime. Some of his runs to the outside wouldn't be as long in the NFL, but this guy turns it up field and goes. He also knows how to catch. No matter weather this guy is involved in the play or not he is a factor in most plays with regards to defense. All the talk about paying so much money for so few carries is unrealistic. The guy could run SOME, catch SOME, return SOME punts or SOME kick-offs, and general cause A LOT of problems for defensive coordinators. Right now I heard some commentary from the Texans game saying at this stage we are a running team? Sounds pretty one-dimensional to me. This guy coud add in another.

gg no re
11-20-2005, 10:00 PM
I just want to emphasize the fact that Reggie Bush plays in the Pac-10. And aside from USC, there's really been no stud defense in the Pac-10.

MorKnolle
11-21-2005, 10:24 AM
I just want to emphasize the fact that Reggie Bush plays in the Pac-10. And aside from USC, there's really been no stud defense in the Pac-10.

The Pac-10 actually finally has some talented teams this year.

uhcougar08
11-21-2005, 01:36 PM
OK, I started this post and I am truely convinced that the O-Line is decent enough to add a few more O-Line players in the 2nd round or later, but if we keep Carr, you have to get him another playmaker, because Dre can not do this by him self, you see how frustrated he is getting. With no one getting open downfield, you need someone and we know who that someone is.

Whether you put him in the backfield, or you line him up in the slot, or whatever, you draft REGGIE BUSH!!!!!!!

For those of you on DD bandwagon and say Bush can not run between the tackles, you and Casserly should be on your way. He makes plays, and he is a once in an lifetime player.

He is a stud, and thats the way it is, period.

Bush with the #1 pick!!!!!!

Johnny Utah
11-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Its called speed and agility. Bush has both. Seems Mathis does too. What a kick-off return. Speed and Agility.

Yes, he's a bad man. That's why I changed my avatar from D'Brick to Reggie.

gg no re
11-21-2005, 04:57 PM
The Pac-10 actually finally has some talented teams this year.I won't argue with the Pac-10 having talented teams, but that doesn't mean anyone's put up a tough physical defense.

I don't know. My opinion on Bush as a RB will wait until the BCS game, where he will [hopefully] play against a [hopefully] tough Longhorn defense.

All I know is that right now, Bush is a VERY dangerous pick, mainly because we'll forfeit a stud OT and lay our hopes on a 2nd round pick. Not bad odds, mind you, but after all the neglect that the oline has had, it's better to overcompensate than to shoot modestly and hit low five times in a row. Knowing Casserly, I think we'll end up laying our hopes on a 4th round pick.

That's my main concern, and probably my last remark on Bush until his BCS game.

keyfro
11-21-2005, 05:28 PM
ya'll know what...the problem with this team is that we have too many holes for one to be the main problem...i think we need to pick one side of the ball to fix and fix that side of the ball before moving over to the other...with that said let's fix the offense so that we might salvage david carr...with pitts playing the way he is we do NOT need to draft a LT with the first pick...look at what we have with DD...a good solid back that is only healthy for about 2/3's of the season...if you draft bush you can play him at multiple positions...he can play the slot reciever while DD is healthy and he can play RB when he's not...reggie bush is marshall faulk...he is a special player that only come around every once in awhile...you draft reggie bush number 1 overall and fix the line and the TE position with the rest of the picks...with regards to the recievers...cut dropford if you can get reggie wayne away from indy do it...don't care about the cost we'll be cutting enough veterans to be able to afford it...plus...think about this...could you imagine having both DD and Bush in the backfield with carr at the sametime...along with andre and wayne...that would be sick...sick i tell ya

real
11-21-2005, 07:07 PM
I dont care about common...HE...DD....... HAS BEEN INJURED EVERY YEAR. The End...He is still young and hasn't had a full season yet...Is that solid to you? And of course he is 60% of the offense. Thats because we weren't doing anything else.

real
11-21-2005, 07:08 PM
.:texflag:

texan279
11-22-2005, 10:32 AM
From www.kffl.com

NCAA | Bush undecided on the NFL
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 06:08:29 -0800

Scott Wolf, of the Valley Tribune, reports USC junior RB Reggie Bush said he's undecided on whether he will head to the NFL next year or not. "I don't think it's too obvious what I will do because there are many factors in my decision," Bush said. "I might have surgery on my shoulder after the season, I don't know." Bush said his shoulder sometimes bothers him. He also said winning the Heisman Trophy would not cause him to automatically turn pro. "I don't know," he said. "It's a difficult decision. It wouldn't be the reason."

tulexan
11-22-2005, 10:45 AM
Chris Mortensen said that Reggie Bush is doing preliminary searches for agents to represent him.

Texas_Thrill
11-22-2005, 10:59 AM
I"m so TOOOOOOOOOORN here. Yes Pitts looks good at LT but obviously I'd want to know can he play RT at this point. Wade looks shabby at best.

Also drafting a top flight lineman to give ourselves a DOMINANT not just good offensive line like they have in Pittsburgh might finally allow this team to develop and offensive identity as well as cut carr's sacks extremely low and allow us to take more shots down the field.

All that said I love Bush man but I'm still not convinced he should be our pick. Though if he is I won't be mad....like I was with us drafting a back-up d-lineman.

TheOgre
11-22-2005, 11:04 AM
How can you pay a situational player like Bush, top 3 money? I just don't see it. He might end up being a bust like Desmond Howard.

tulexan
11-22-2005, 11:10 AM
Wouldn't it be funny if the Niners drafted Bush and their back field was Reggie Bush and Frank Gore ?

YoungTexanFan
11-22-2005, 11:12 AM
Wouldn't it be funny if the Niners drafted Bush and their back field was Reggie Bush and Frank Gore ?

i guess, but i found it funnier that at one point our country was run by:
Bush, Colon, and Dick

Texas_Thrill
11-22-2005, 11:12 AM
Not sure why that would be funny.

Ogre he could be desmond howard....or he could be marshall faulk. You dont know and neither do i. Nobody knows how he or any other rook will play in the nfl when they get there. But he's proven he can play with the best of the best in college and for the most parts that is what scouts look at. In the end its all a guessing game.

thefuture17
11-22-2005, 12:43 PM
Who should/are we gonna draft in the 2006 draft????????
I say Reggie Bush for sure because we could probably get some good FA olineman[by the way does anyone know what linemane will be FA this year]
But really how can you pass up on this guy hes unbelivible and im sure we could get good lineman later in the draft. Or you guys could be bad for say another 9 years and get the first pick in the 2015 draft and pick me at the number 1 pick and i will lead us to a :trophy: :texflag:

thefuture17
11-22-2005, 12:49 PM
can a adminastratior delet the other one please thanks in advance

uhcougar08
11-22-2005, 08:18 PM
How can you pay a situational player like Bush, top 3 money? I just don't see it. He might end up being a bust like Desmond Howard.

I love D'Brickashaw, and I would be happy with him, but we got Pitts, my new hero. I see a huge problem with this Offense because no one gets open. If no one is open, how in the world can you throw a ball anywhere. If you get Bush with Dre and Mathis, you know you have defenses going, "Holy Crap!" He is a huge playmaker, and that is what we need, so we go get him if we got the #1. He will open up passes for Dre, and Dre will open up passes for him. We don't know what kind of Back he will be either, bt I know what I see on saturdays, and it is absolutely amazing what he does every saturday. Let this guy come in and compete for RB or WR. Heaven forbid if someone comes in here and makes DD a backup. I would love to have that problem on this team. Heck, look at KC and Denver, I want their problems.

The line is looking alot better, so you add some O-Line guys from draft or FA and you give David at least one more year, and if nothing comes out of it, you tell him to have a nice life and we get a new QB.

It has been a long time since a player came out of college who can touch the ball and then magic things happen, lets not pass on him like we passed on Derrick Johnson, or the crap we pulled with Babin or Buc.

Let's get a guy who we can follow and extremely support on this team, because I really can't find a leader or superstar on the Texans, and by God, we desperately need one!!!

Bush in April 06!!!:texflag:

tulexan
11-22-2005, 10:22 PM
Adding D'Brick would open up this offense. How fast did they say that Carr was getting the ball out of his hands? 1.5 seconds? And they said that the average quarterback has 3 seconds. I'm not saying that Offensive Line is the only problem that this team has, but it is definitely the most glaring need. If we go out and get a LT or if we think that Pitts is our future at LT then we get a RT in the offseason then I am all for getting Reggie Bush.

uhcougar08
11-22-2005, 11:22 PM
Adding D'Brick would open up this offense. How fast did they say that Carr was getting the ball out of his hands? 1.5 seconds? And they said that the average quarterback has 3 seconds. I'm not saying that Offensive Line is the only problem that this team has, but it is definitely the most glaring need. If we go out and get a LT or if we think that Pitts is our future at LT then we get a RT in the offseason then I am all for getting Reggie Bush.
I completely agree.

DRAMA
11-23-2005, 12:21 AM
Bush will be like a Warrick Dunn or Brian Westbrook type of player. Both are great players, but not worth a #1 overall pick

The downplaying of players has begun...if anyone thinks that Bush is not the #1 pick in the draft, I'd advise them to look again. Uhh...Barry Sanders doesn't run between the tackles and uhh...where did Westbrook and and Dunn go in their drafts again? Calling Reggie Bush Westbrook or Dunn is just silly...

Brick MAY be the #1 LT in the draft. The general consensus is there is not much difference between him and 6 other LT's. The 1st RD is deep - you do NOT use the #1 on Brick. You trade it or you take the playmaker - there are your options.

YoungTexanFan
11-23-2005, 12:36 AM
not many reasonable people are suggesting taking a OL first overall. Instead, many are warming to the idea of one or two trade downs until about pick 8.

Huge
11-23-2005, 07:57 AM
The downplaying of players has begun...if anyone thinks that Bush is not the #1 pick in the draft, I'd advise them to look again. Uhh...Barry Sanders doesn't run between the tackles and uhh...where did Westbrook and and Dunn go in their drafts again? Calling Reggie Bush Westbrook or Dunn is just silly...

Brick MAY be the #1 LT in the draft. The general consensus is there is not much difference between him and 6 other LT's. The 1st RD is deep - you do NOT use the #1 on Brick. You trade it or you take the playmaker - there are your options.
Barry Sanders wasn't the top pick in his draft (nor should he have been).

Bottom line, there's a bigger drop-off in talent from 1st and 2nd round OL's than there is in 1st and 2nd round RB's. Why settle on one playmaker that would fill a need when you can get two playmakers that can fill two needs?

YoungTexanFan
11-23-2005, 09:47 AM
Barry Sanders wasn't the top pick in his draft (nor should he have been).

Bottom line, there's a bigger drop-off in talent from 1st and 2nd round OL's than there is in 1st and 2nd round RB's. Why settle on one playmaker that would fill a need when you can get two playmakers that can fill two needs?

post of the morning!

beerlover
11-23-2005, 10:36 AM

I wonder if it just the nature of the positions? on one hand you have 6-5+ 300lbs+ monster alpha males who become specialized in blocking other freaks of nature as oppossed to all the guys who want to be that star RB, average male size acorss the country 5'8-6'2" 180-225 lbs.

We have had this discussion before regarding RB talent from the 1st rd to the 2nd and we have both had valid points but for every Steven Jackson there is two Julius Jones & Marion Barbers. so I can buy this arguement, however we are talking about a special class, identifying them & situating them is another thing. in the Texans case the situation dictates the need to address option two, aquiring multiple picks to address more needs than one single part :cool:

TheOgre
11-23-2005, 10:37 AM
I love D'Brickashaw, and I would be happy with him, but we got Pitts, my new hero.

Pitts has done well since he took over. However, he has done that with this flat pass, dink and dunk offense. What happens when we really start to try to pass the ball? Will he once again become the penalty machine we have seen in the past? If not, will he be dominant? I like Pitts, but I don't like him as our OLT. I think Pitts could be a hell of a player at RT. He is merely adequate right now, but I want more than "adequate" out of my team's LT. It is the single most important line position, and it requires an early draft pick investment to find a stud (look around the league and you will notice most of the best LT's are top 10 selections). With a stud LT, we won't be as limited in our play selection.

This team has struggled for four years to find a semblance of an O-line. This is the best crop of 1st round OT's in years. I just cannot see how we can pass on this opportunity. Our track record with 2nd and 3rd round picks doesn't make me excited about passing on a LT in the 1st. Do you really want to see Bush streaking down the field on a pass route and looking back only to see Carr sacked for the 5th time before halftime? I've had enough of this O-line. There really is no point in building a castle of gold (skill positions) when the foundation is made out of quicksand (O-line).

Huge
11-23-2005, 12:29 PM
however we are talking about a special class, identifying them & situating them is another thing. in the Texans case the situation dictates the need to address option two, aquiring multiple picks to address more needs than one single part :cool:
Agreed wholeheartedly.

I'm all for moving down. Especially in a talent laden draft where you can avoid having to shell out $50 million for the top pick and still get a player (or two) with equal value.

Corrosion
11-23-2005, 01:08 PM
Ive been one of the proponents of taking an LT in round one even if its in the top three picks But the past couple of weeks have changed my thinking completely . After watching Reggie Bush almost single hadedly beat Fresno St late Saturday night Im ALMOST convinced that he should be the Texans number one selection (pending he comes out early) .

Before you call me crazy ... This team has too many holes to fill in one offseason . Lets take care of one side of the ball at a time ...

Reggie Bush FITS David Carr and Andre Johnson and would allow them to use an offense more suitable to their strengths . Teams will no longer be able to double and tripple team Johnson . Nor will they be so inclined to blitz as the Texans would have two players capable of taking it to the house on any given play .... one broken tackle and its 6 .

Sure they would pass on a potential "Franchise LT" but ....

Chester Pitts is a very capable at LT and should only get better ... moving Mckinney from the center position to LG was ALMOST the right move , I'd rather have seen him on the bench .... too bad Drew Hodgdon got hurt

Milford Brown needs to be replaced as well there is NO other team in the NFL which he would start . Im sure they could find a suitable replacement in rounds 2-4 or again via free agency .

The other position this team is lacking is TE could be filled in rounds 2-4 or via free agency ...
Bruener has been a failure since coming from Pitt. and is used more like a Full Back than a TE .
Joppru has been a complete bust and should NOT be considered when next seasons roster is being made up .... let him come in and compete for a roster spot but under no circumstances count on him to be the starter next season .

Getting a playmaker like Reggie Bush , Pitts at LT , a capable TE and LG would pretty much take care of the offensive problems for this team and in the very least would give David Carr and his offensive counterparts enough weapons that he/they would have no excuse for not showing vast improvement .

We can deal with the defensive deficiencies next year .

uhcougar08
11-23-2005, 02:44 PM
Someone here actually knows what they are alking about, good job.

You cant get this great line and pass to no one because other than Dre, everyone else sucks, period.

TheOgre
11-23-2005, 02:59 PM
Someone here actually knows what they are alking about, good job.

You cant get this great line and pass to no one because other than Dre, everyone else sucks, period.

You can't get this great skill position player and try to pass to him when you QB is on the ground either.

gg no re
11-23-2005, 05:19 PM
Off-Topic: I thought the general consensus was that Jerome Mathis was to be our secondary playmaker besides Dre.

Huge
11-23-2005, 06:30 PM
He could be. But 90% of rookie WRs are going to struggle initially. Even moreso in this offense when the star WR (Johnson) is struggling.

Corrosion
11-24-2005, 06:25 PM
You can't get this great skill position player and try to pass to him when you QB is on the ground either.

I DEFINATELY think they need to upgrade the O-line .... as you can see from my last post in this thread . Ive been saying this for the better part of the last three seasons . But I think they could do that in the second thru fourth rounds or maybe sign a free agent or two .

The more I watch Reggie Bush the more im convinced he's a special player and passing on him would be pure ignorance .

uhcougar08
11-25-2005, 09:08 AM
I DEFINATELY think they need to upgrade the O-line .... as you can see from my last post in this thread . Ive been saying this for the better part of the last three seasons . But I think they could do that in the second thru fourth rounds or maybe sign a free agent or two .

The more I watch Reggie Bush the more im convinced he's a special player and passing on him would be pure ignorance .

As you can see, we passed on Derrick Johnson last year, and look what he is doing as a rookie.

Corrosion
11-25-2005, 08:55 PM
As you can see, we passed on Derrick Johnson last year, and look what he is doing as a rookie.

He's doing nothing .... accept leading his team in tackles

http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/KC

Tejaspro
11-26-2005, 11:43 AM
Reggie Bush has one great asset that DD doesn't possess. Breakaway speed. If Bush gets just a crack and breaks through.... he's gone. He's like Mathis... no one is going to catch him. And he is more ellusive than DD. He's 6 foot, 200 lbs.

I live in Southern California and I can tell you from seeing Bush play all the time. He's the best running back to come out in many years. Critics have stated that he is a "once in a decade back". You don't pass on that type of player if you can get him.

I think you would play him in a variety of positions. Every defense would have to account for him on every play. Other than, Bush, I would trade down or trade my picks for quality young linemen. Offensive, and defensive.

texplayer2
11-27-2005, 11:53 PM
Reggie Bush has one great asset that DD doesn't possess. Breakaway speed. If Bush gets just a crack and breaks through.... he's gone. He's like Mathis... no one is going to catch him. And he is more ellusive than DD. He's 6 foot, 200 lbs.

I live in Southern California and I can tell you from seeing Bush play all the time. He's the best running back to come out in many years. Critics have stated that he is a "once in a decade back". You don't pass on that type of player if you can get him.

I think you would play him in a variety of positions. Every defense would have to account for him on every play. Other than, Bush, I would trade down or trade my picks for quality young linemen. Offensive, and defensive.

I had the pleasure of watching Marshall Faulk tear up USC when he was in college and SC had Junior Seau and Mark Carrier. I think Bush is a similar talent, and will have a similar impact on his new team. I think we also need Defensive help before we will take the next step, but it would be entertaining to watch our offense in the meantime. Right now they aren't even showing the games here in Austin.

swtbound07
11-28-2005, 01:25 AM
i would consider myself a reasonable person, but i am advocating taking Dbrick first overall.....why is that so crazy? oakland took gallery at the 2 spot, and everyone thought it was great? you need an o-lineman, there is one there, you take him....we dont need reggie bush....we need something for him to run behind

MorKnolle
11-28-2005, 10:05 AM
i would consider myself a reasonable person, but i am advocating taking Dbrick first overall.....why is that so crazy? oakland took gallery at the 2 spot, and everyone thought it was great? you need an o-lineman, there is one there, you take him....we dont need reggie bush....we need something for him to run behind

There is no reason to take Ferguson or Winston at the #1 pick. If the Texans take one of them at #1 we will have to pay them a lot more money (look at what the #1 picks have been making the last few years) and there will be several teams with pretty high picks that would likely be willing to trade up to grab Leinart (Baltimore, NY Jets, Arizona) or Bush (San Francisco, NY Jets, Green Bay?) so we could trade down to the 3-6 spot, get whatever OL we want and pick up an extra draft pick or two along the way. Leinart and Bush are basically a lock for the 1-2 picks and from there many of the top picking teams may go after defense or whatever else, but either way Ferguson will likely be around at 4-6 and Winston almost for sure will be around 5-10 (I'd prefer Winston anyways) so we could trade down pick up either one of them, add extra draft picks, and not have to pay them as much.

TheOgre
11-28-2005, 10:22 AM
There is no reason to take Ferguson or Winston at the #1 pick. If the Texans take one of them at #1 we will have to pay them a lot more money (look at what the #1 picks have been making the last few years) and there will be several teams with pretty high picks that would likely be willing to trade up to grab Leinart (Baltimore, NY Jets, Arizona) or Bush (San Francisco, NY Jets, Green Bay?) so we could trade down to the 3-6 spot, get whatever OL we want and pick up an extra draft pick or two along the way. Leinart and Bush are basically a lock for the 1-2 picks and from there many of the top picking teams may go after defense or whatever else, but either way Ferguson will likely be around at 4-6 and Winston almost for sure will be around 5-10 (I'd prefer Winston anyways) so we could trade down pick up either one of them, add extra draft picks, and not have to pay them as much.

Agree wholeheartedly.

bckey
11-28-2005, 10:23 AM
It would be awesome if we got the #1 pick and traded down to the #2 spot because the team in the #2 slot was afraid we would trade to another team and they wouldn't get their man. Then turn around and trade out of the #2 slot to a team that wants whoever is left Bush or Leinert. It could happen but not with Casserly.

TheOgre
11-28-2005, 10:50 AM
It would be awesome if we got the #1 pick and traded down to the #2 spot because the team in the #2 slot was afraid we would trade to another team and they wouldn't get their man. Then turn around and trade out of the #2 slot to a team that wants whoever is left Bush or Leinert. It could happen but not with Casserly.

You can say a lot of negative things about Casserly, but dealing picks is NOT an issue for him. When Ditka wanted to trade his entired draft to get Ricky Williams, Casserly was more than happy to oblige him.

Cheroqui
11-28-2005, 02:31 PM
We have more than enough running backs. We have a terrible offensive line. Offensive line is clearly our biggest need and when you can get a LT who is in the same conversation as Walter Jones or Orlando Pace, you don't pass him up. All great running backs and quarterbacks need to have a good offensive line. Right now we have a pathetic offensive line.

Isn't he supposed to be able to still produce regardless? Kind of like a Corey Dillon was in Cincy? Also what do the other teams need line wise to were we wouldn't get some new people up there before they're gone?

TheOgre
11-28-2005, 03:24 PM

Okay I get that a lot of you like Reggie Bush, but I don't think many of you realize the situation at OLT. You will find a free agent OLT that is better than average maybe once every 5-10 years. If they are out on the market, they will get WAY overpaid. If you plan on drafting one after the 1st round, you cannot reasonable project him to be any more than adequate. Just look around the NFL. More than half of the LT's are taken in the 1st round, and the majority of those in the first half of that round. You can build up the rest of the line in rounds 2-4, but until you find a good LT, you likely struggle for consistency on offense.

uhcougar08
11-28-2005, 06:59 PM
Okay I get that a lot of you like Reggie Bush, but I don't think many of you realize the situation at OLT. You will find a free agent OLT that is better than average maybe once every 5-10 years. If they are out on the market, they will get WAY overpaid. If you plan on drafting one after the 1st round, you cannot reasonable project him to be any more than adequate. Just look around the NFL. More than half of the LT's are taken in the 1st round, and the majority of those in the first half of that round. You can build up the rest of the line in rounds 2-4, but until you find a good LT, you likely struggle for consistency on offense.

I think you don't realize our situation at LT.......we have found our LT and it is Pitts, if you are going to draft anyone, it would be a LG, RG, or RT. Why cant you get those with our 2nd round pick(33rd overall) and 3rd round pick, then someone on Defense with New Orleans 3rd rounder? Wow, think about that for a minute.

real
11-28-2005, 07:07 PM
If you don't mind adequate running backs....why the fuss about an adequate o-lineman. We are drafting players...we cant draft a whole new o-line in the first round...If we get RB that upgrades receivers and runningbacks thats a vicory. If we get an o-lineman in the draft and he never allows a sack... but everyone else sux..then our o-line as a group will still get criticized and we will be picking o-line in the first round for ever. O-lines dont seem to be a widespread problem in the NFL, it seems to be more defensive and specialty player woes than anything else. We need to take the best talent available and the new coaches will be able to make our o-line decent.

Peldon
11-28-2005, 07:27 PM
If you don't mind adequate running backs....why the fuss about an adequate o-lineman. We are drafting players...we cant draft a whole new o-line in the first round...If we get RB that upgrades receivers and runningbacks thats a vicory. If we get an o-lineman in the draft and he never allows a sack... but everyone else sux..then our o-line as a group will still get criticized and we will be picking o-line in the first round for ever. O-lines dont seem to be a widespread problem in the NFL, it seems to be more defensive and specialty player woes than anything else. We need to take the best talent available and the new coaches will be able to make our o-line decent.

Ok if our new coaching staff can fix the o-line and defense to a respectable level with a few low draft picks I have no problem drafting Reggie Bush with the first pick. I am, however, under the impression that the o-line and defense will not be fixed with a few lower round picks, just my opinion. I don't think our line or most of our defense has the talent to be coached to a respectable level.

You obviously are thinking that the new coaching staff can fix the problems with lower round picks and that's fine. If they do, and we get Bush and play reasonably well next year I will be very happy. If we draft Bush, get lesser talent on defense and o-line, and don't improve next year I won't be suprised. I'm not talking about making the playoffs but at least be an NFL calibur team.

Neither of us will convince the anyone who has made up thier mind on this matter. I just feel we have gone too long without addressing the glaring needs of this team. If we don't address them as strongly as I would like I will just have to deal with it and I will. If we do address them and don't pick Bush I hope people will see that it isn't the end of the world and try to realize that they are just attempting to rebuild this team. We just differ in opinion on how to go about that in the best way. One thing is for sure though, this debate will continue until draft day, or at least until we win a few more games.

gg no re
11-28-2005, 07:32 PM
Our adequate running backs this season do their job, which is to run the football well, and catch the football when neccessary.

Our oline this season has not done their job, which is to protect the quarterback and provide run blocking. That is not an adequate oline.

Yes, it's true we can't draft an entire oline. That doesn't give us an excuse to aim low.

When people have injuries, they realize they can't return to 100% in one day. That doesn't give them an excuse to let the injury linger.

That is the case with the Texans. Our oline has been a lingering injury, and we've been taking painkillers instead of surgery to address the problem.

We're at the point where painkillers are losing their effect. We either let the injury fix itself, or we hire a doctor to help us recover faster.

Peldon
11-28-2005, 07:35 PM
I think you don't realize our situation at LT.......we have found our LT and it is Pitts, if you are going to draft anyone, it would be a LG, RG, or RT. Why cant you get those with our 2nd round pick(33rd overall) and 3rd round pick, then someone on Defense with New Orleans 3rd rounder? Wow, think about that for a minute.

Just out of curiosity, if the Texans were to win a few more games and lose the #1 overall pick would you advocate trying to trade up to get Bush?

uhcougar08
11-28-2005, 08:00 PM
Just out of curiosity, if the Texans were to win a few more games and lose the #1 overall pick would you advocate trying to trade up to get Bush?

The answer is no, you go with the best player available, but not like the texans have done, Casserly has ruined his drafts here.

If Bush is not there when we draft, I would take D'Brickashaw or Hawk or anyone, but Im not losing anymore picks another year.

We do need alot, but I personally have loved Bush since he was a freshman, so if I was GM, I would take him. One source has him rated as the best prospect to come into the draft in the last 15 years.

Peldon
11-28-2005, 08:09 PM
The answer is no, you go with the best player available, but not like the texans have done, Casserly has ruined his drafts here.

If Bush is not there when we draft, I would take D'Brickashaw or Hawk or anyone, but Im not losing anymore picks another year.

We do need alot, but I personally have loved Bush since he was a freshman, so if I was GM, I would take him. One source has him rated as the best prospect to come into the draft in the last 15 years.

Cool :) Yeah, I agree Casserly has screwed up on a lot of our draft picks.

HJam72
11-28-2005, 08:38 PM
We've been waiting for this draft for several seasons now, specifically for offensive line, and more specifically for a stud LT. They put it off last year, waiting for this upcoming draft. Now, you want Reggie Bush. We need a guy to seriously compete with Pitts for LT and the loser plays RT. We need more linemen than that too. We also need a cornerback, thanks to Casserly, and we've needed a second starting receiver forever, unless it's going to be Mathis. So, you want a RB? DD and Wells are 2 of like 4 or 5 players that don't need to be replaced and that's what some of you want?

I know Bush is supposed to be the next Barry Sanders, but how many Super Bowls did the Lions win anyway? Why? Well, probably because their O-line sucked. My vote is for Ferguson and my contention is that we need linemen.

TheRealJoker
11-28-2005, 09:29 PM
Gotta go with HJam. Dbrick is who we need. For once, lets not make a pick based on potential, lets pick based on safe %

reggiebtxn
11-28-2005, 09:54 PM
REGGIE
REGGIE
REGGIE
http://www.sam-the-man.net/images/Full/001.jpg

I think this horse will help the Texans tremendously... If we have the 1st pick in the draft, there's no way that we can pass on someone of this magnitude. RB's don't come like this that often, and I see him being a Tomlinson type impact player.

So I say, the Texans should just blow the rest of the year. Why win a game, it's not going to boost sales, etc.. If you get a guy like Reggie Bush on the team, tickets will sale out next year, we'll better our team, and maybe we will start winning games.

I know a lot of people are going to say, what about the O-Line. I say, we pick up players later in the draft, trade for some, or pick some off of FA.

Reggiebtxn

BTW - C-Ya Capers... Mariuchi would be a great fit !!!

Peldon
11-28-2005, 10:04 PM
That picture scared the living **** out of me.

Kaiser Toro
11-28-2005, 10:04 PM
That may be the most wonderfully horrible thing I have ever seen.

uhcougar08
11-28-2005, 10:34 PM
We've been waiting for this draft for several seasons now, specifically for offensive line, and more specifically for a stud LT. They put it off last year, waiting for this upcoming draft. Now, you want Reggie Bush. We need a guy to seriously compete with Pitts for LT and the loser plays RT. We need more linemen than that too. We also need a cornerback, thanks to Casserly, and we've needed a second starting receiver forever, unless it's going to be Mathis. So, you want a RB? DD and Wells are 2 of like 4 or 5 players that don't need to be replaced and that's what some of you want?

I know Bush is supposed to be the next Barry Sanders, but how many Super Bowls did the Lions win anyway? Why? Well, probably because their O-line sucked. My vote is for Ferguson and my contention is that we need linemen.

Who has been waiting on this draft? I was sitting in Japan after being up for 28 straight hours when Casserly did not select Derrick Johnson, that was terrible. And I was sitting in Fort Worth when that ***** of a GM traded 4 picks for a second string player. Dont tell me this is the one, cause what were the last 4 if this is the one? This may be the one that the next great one is available at #1, and if we have the first pick, you select him for two reasons: DD is not a great runningback, and you can select other lineman later in the draft, Pitts is our future LT if you haven't noticed. The guy is good at LT, period. This will not get fixed in one year. If the Texans have the first pick and screw this one up, I will never ever support this team ever again. YOU CAN NOT PASS UP SOMEONE LIKE REGGIE BUSH, IT IS LIKE COMMITING SUICIDE!!!!:texflag:

HJam72
11-29-2005, 12:58 AM
Pitts is acceptable at LT. What about the rest of the line? If we keep drafting linemen later, we're going to keep having the same problems. Great LTs can't be acquired through trades. DD isn't a great running back, true. Maybe he needs an O-line and an actual passing threat. Besides, we don't need superstar skills players when we don't even have the basic support of a line yet. We've got AJ, one of the best receivers in the game. How much good is that doing us right now with crap for an O-line?

I'm not gonna be all upset if they take Bush, but I think it's really the wrong move. We can always make trades for this or that and DD and Wells are expendable if Bush is the next Jesus and all that. We're not gonna just go out and buy a serious LT though and wouldn't it be nice if Pitts were NOT our best LT? Real contenders always have a good O-line. They don't always have a superstar QB/receiver/runningback. A good O-line will allow every skills player on the offense to look better and allow the D to spend more time on the sidelines.

I'm not just pulling for Ferguson here. I want a stud LT. He's not the only one. How about a really good center? Do we have the guards we really need. I want the O-line to be the main focus of this draft.

uhcougar08
11-29-2005, 07:30 AM
Pitts is acceptable at LT. What about the rest of the line? If we keep drafting linemen later, we're going to keep having the same problems. Great LTs can't be acquired through trades. DD isn't a great running back, true. Maybe he needs an O-line and an actual passing threat. Besides, we don't need superstar skills players when we don't even have the basic support of a line yet. We've got AJ, one of the best receivers in the game. How much good is that doing us right now with crap for an O-line?

I'm not gonna be all upset if they take Bush, but I think it's really the wrong move. We can always make trades for this or that and DD and Wells are expendable if Bush is the next Jesus and all that. We're not gonna just go out and buy a serious LT though and wouldn't it be nice if Pitts were NOT our best LT? Real contenders always have a good O-line. They don't always have a superstar QB/receiver/runningback. A good O-line will allow every skills player on the offense to look better and allow the D to spend more time on the sidelines.

I'm not just pulling for Ferguson here. I want a stud LT. He's not the only one. How about a really good center? Do we have the guards we really need. I want the O-line to be the main focus of this draft.

Yes Pitts is a good LT, and the last 5 games should show that. That is where he should have been the whole time. The 33rd, 65th, and NO pick should be on nothing but lineman, that is if we have the #1 pick. You can get a really good LT if that is what you want with the first pick in the second round, it's that deep at LT.

uhcougar08
12-01-2005, 01:31 PM
Found this litle bit of footage:
http://usctrojans.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/bush_reggie00.html

Hervoyel
12-01-2005, 03:17 PM

Ok, check this out. I completely don't agree with you but I'm about to agree with you. Now if you think that doesn't make any sense then just gimmie a second here.

First of all Chester Pitts is not our answer at LT. He's going to be able to keep our QB from getting killed and he's going to hold his own there. He'd be a much better guard if he could just stay there and focus on that position... and of course if he had a real LT beside him.... and a real center. Ok, I digress.

Anyway what I'm saying is that we need a franchise LT and Chester isn't it. He'll do though and here is where I'm going to say that I think the Texans are already thinking about drafting Reggie Bush. My reason is that they're talking about Pitts being the long term answer at LT.

Now sure they may be thinking about trading down and I'll admit that is possible. I just have this funny feeling though that as we approach a LT filled first round but don't make any noise at all about selecting a LT, that there's something going on here.

With the way the team/fan love-fest came apart this year I think they're going to pick a player who will put butts in seats (and I think they're going to try and pick a coach who will do that too). That player, if we pick first and if he's declared for the draft, will be Reggie Bush.

Hervoyel
12-01-2005, 03:30 PM
Oh and one other thing. There's nothing wrong with the line we have that a decent offensive line coach and another training camp couldn't fix. I mean it too. Save the picks for getting a real TE and a FS.

TheOgre
12-01-2005, 04:02 PM

I STILL don't think you realize the situation at LT. Pitts has done well since he moved back to LT. Keep in mind that he has done that predominantly with a dink-and-dunk, flat-pass oriented attack. Only against a horrible Ram's defense did we open it up. I just don't think he is our long-term solution at LT. I believe he would be better geared to play RT for us. So we return to the long-term need for a LT. We likely need to spend a top 20 pick on one.

I'm not for drafting Bush and trading back up into the 1st to get a LT. We basically did that with Babin and Buchanon (considered 1st round talent by the staff) the past seasons, and that didn't work well. I don't think doing that a third time is a good idea.

uhcougar08
12-02-2005, 08:00 AM
I STILL don't think you realize the situation at LT. Pitts has done well since he moved back to LT.

Explain to me why he can hold his own against Freeney for two games, and wasn't he a LT in college? For a guy who allowed one sack in 762 snaps and was a third team All-American, what is it that you people don't like about him being our franchise LT? I am dumbfounded why we need to spend a first round pick on a OT when we could possibly have the 33rd and 65th picks on the first day, not to mention the NO pick? I just dont see the reasoning when compared to the facts.

infantrycak
12-02-2005, 08:06 AM
Explain to me why he can hold his own against Freeney for two games, and wasn't he a LT in college? For a guy who allowed one sack in 762 snaps and was a third team All-American, what is it that you people don't like about him being our franchise LT? I am dumbfounded why we need to spend a first round pick on a OT when we could possibly have the 33rd and 65th picks on the first day, not to mention the NO pick? I just dont see the reasoning when compared to the facts.

Pitts is definitely the best LT on the team right now. The problem in annointing him the franchise LT off the past few games is the Texans have been running a kindergarden offense with all sorts of quick slants, hitches etc. rather than a full menu offense. I for one would like to see him perform with a wide open offense on an island the last games of this season before deciding he is Roman Oben or Matt Light and keeping him as a non-1st rounder LT. Frankly, IMO it is almost misconduct if the Texans don't open up the O the rest of the way and really figure out where the breakdowns happen.

Texas_Thrill
12-02-2005, 08:15 AM
I have to agree there. As much as I like Bush and I do like him a whoooole lot. I think he is the sexy pick not necessarily the best pick. I want some BIG COWS up front to move that pile regardless of who is back there.

Again I say....we are so damn bad I won't be mad at whoever we pick (within reason.)

uhcougar08
12-02-2005, 08:20 AM
Pitts never played football in high school, and rarely played in college his first two years, so they guy was raw coming in to the NFL, which i think is a plus for us. Now hes got it under his belt and he can run with it if he wants it. Heck, he was drafted in the second round behind Gaff and Carr, so he was highly regarded by the Texans, even though that doesn't mean a whole lot to me. We will see how he plays the last five games, but Im really high on him. So, my thinking here is, you got your LT IMO, and I dont think you pass on Bush, no matter what the case is, unless the trade deal will be outrageous. I hope for the next two games, Bush plays like I know he can. That way his value goes up and so does our trade value if we do get the number one pick.

Texas_Thrill
12-02-2005, 08:29 AM
I'd have to see Pitts DOMINATE the next 5 games. That doens't just mean not allowing a sack but i mean breaking his opponents will.

I'm not convinced you can say Pitts has Walter Jones potential but you can say that about Ferguson (according to scouts). If I hear that about Pitts maybe I'll change my tune but not until then.

infantrycak
12-02-2005, 08:35 AM
I'm not convinced you can say Pitts has Walter Jones potential but you can say that about Ferguson (according to scouts).

Every year the top LT is the next Pace, Ogden or Jones, the top LB is the next Lawrence Taylor, etc. Not saying Ferguson isn't good, but trusting hype rather than analysis from scouts is perilous--they hype every year so they are bound to be right every once in a while.

uhcougar08
12-02-2005, 08:37 AM
I'd have to see Pitts DOMINATE the next 5 games. That doens't just mean not allowing a sack but i mean breaking his opponents will.

I'm not convinced you can say Pitts has Walter Jones potential but you can say that about Ferguson (according to scouts). If I hear that about Pitts maybe I'll change my tune but not until then.

I have heard great stuff about D'Brickashaw (thats a cool name) too, and would love to have him, but I also have heard Bush being rated as the highest player to come out in the last 15 years. Plus, he has been compared to Gayle Sayers, how do you ever pass on someone like that? It is like passing on MJ, isn't it, if he is rated that high?

Coach C.
12-02-2005, 08:40 AM
First Reggie Bush is no Gale Sayers. Bush will be a good player in the NFL, but Gale Sayers is one of the greatest RBs to ever play the game, Bush is not even the greatest RB in college football right now.

uhcougar08
12-02-2005, 09:21 AM
First Reggie Bush is no Gale Sayers. Bush will be a good player in the NFL, but Gale Sayers is one of the greatest RBs to ever play the game, Bush is not even the greatest RB in college football right now.

My bad, he is not Sayers. He is Reggie Bush. So you dont pass on him. Thats all I have to say bout that.

edo783
12-02-2005, 09:49 AM
I love it that some say Pitts is the best LT on the team. That's a bit like saying he is the smatest kid on the short bus. Is he doing well in the casterated offense we are running...yea, not bad. Is he good enough to be an LT in a full blown 7 drop offense.....unknown. I don't think taking a top tackle would be a wrong move given the history of this line.

Johnny Utah
12-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Good news for the Bush lovers. Casserly this morning on 610am said he just got back from USC. Sounds like he's doing a little scouting of a certain USC player or players.

Hopefully, he won't be around to make that decision though. :texflag:

uhcougar08
12-02-2005, 01:19 PM
I love it that some say Pitts is the best LT on the team. That's a bit like saying he is the smatest kid on the short bus. Is he doing well in the casterated offense we are running...yea, not bad. Is he good enough to be an LT in a full blown 7 drop offense.....unknown. I don't think taking a top tackle would be a wrong move given the history of this line.
I agree with you on that, i wouldnt be upset if we did at #5, but at #1 you go with "The Playmaker," Reggie Bush. You can get a OT at #33, cant you?

Hervoyel
12-02-2005, 01:25 PM
First of all I'm pretty sure Casserly is going to be back to make that decision. He's got Capers to direct all the blame to so expect one more coach to be hired (and maybe fired) before anything negative happens to Charlie Casserly.

Second I believe that if the Texans have the chance we're drafting Reggie Bush. Yes there are things to be said for trading down and getting more picks. Charlie loves more picks. The thing about Pitts being our future LT though has me convinced that he's going to ignore that position again this year.

The offense is going to short bus it all the way through these last five games and then claim that Pitts fixed the LT problems because Carr didn't get sacked like groceries. Then Capers goes out the door (He and his staff were the problem all along....and I sure hope Casserly is right when he uses this excuse) and "New Coach" is hired. The name of "New coach" is really immaterial at this point. New Coach will need to evaluate the players we already have here and he'll agree that Reggie Bush is the next Gale Sayers.

I'm already feeling certain that were going to see something similar to that scenario. It's so.....Texans.

Johnny Utah
12-02-2005, 02:21 PM
First of all I'm pretty sure Casserly is going to be back to make that decision. He's got Capers to direct all the blame to so expect one more coach to be hired (and maybe fired) before anything negative happens to Charlie Casserly.

Second I believe that if the Texans have the chance we're drafting Reggie Bush. Yes there are things to be said for trading down and getting more picks. Charlie loves more picks. The thing about Pitts being our future LT though has me convinced that he's going to ignore that position again this year.

The offense is going to short bus it all the way through these last five games and then claim that Pitts fixed the LT problems because Carr didn't get sacked like groceries. Then Capers goes out the door (He and his staff were the problem all along....and I sure hope Casserly is right when he uses this excuse) and "New Coach" is hired. The name of "New coach" is really immaterial at this point. New Coach will need to evaluate the players we already have here and he'll agree that Reggie Bush is the next Gale Sayers.

I'm already feeling certain that were going to see something similar to that scenario. It's so.....Texans.

Unfortunately, I think you may be right. Casserly may be able to blame Capers for the Babin, Hollings, and Joppru picks, but the blame for handing out bad contracts goes squarely on him. There was no reason to give Marcus Coleman a contract extension before he ever played the saftey position, Wong before he ever played the MLB position, or the rediculous signing bonus they gave to Gary Walker.

uhcougar08
12-03-2005, 05:51 PM
For those of you not wanting Bush, im sorry that yall just dont get it. He is one of the best players ever to play college football. It would be a shame not to take him. You never let a guy like this pass through your hands.

gwallaia
12-03-2005, 09:03 PM
I watched Bush today. He will easily win the Heisman, this guy is the most electrifying player in college. Texans must get him.

Vote for Bush!!

Bullpen Drew
12-05-2005, 09:15 AM
Paul Tagliabue:

With the first pick in the 2006 NFL draft, the Houston Texans select Reggie Bush from the University of Southern California..

NativeJPR
12-05-2005, 09:20 AM
if the Texans get the 1st pick and don't take Reggie Bush it will be the one mistake this franchise will NEVER live down, because that man ( God willing and the creeks don't rise) WILL GO DOWN IN NFL HISTORY!!!!!!!!! I'd sure like to watch his career unfold in a TEXANS uniform:yahoo: :texflag: :drool:

Coach C.
12-05-2005, 09:45 AM
wow. It was VY that was god on this board and now it is Reggie Bush who is. This is a weird thing that people dont understand about the NFL. You are not going up against a team that has 5 maybe 6 stars that might make the NFL anymore, you are going against the best of the best. Bush is fast, but he is not faster than Vick, Mathis, or even Deangelo Hall. There are countless LBs that will catch Bush in the NFL. He will not be able to dance in the backfield anymore. Don't get me wrong Bush is a good player and he should have a good career, when I see him play I think of Warrick Dunn. He is close to the same size at 5-11 190lbs. I think he will be that type of pro, with more long runs. Remember W. Dunn is a multiple time Pro-Bowler.

texasguy346
12-05-2005, 10:37 AM
This is a weird thing that people dont understand about the NFL. You are not going up against a team that has 5 maybe 6 stars that might make the NFL anymore, you are going against the best of the best. Bush is fast, but he is not faster than Vick, Mathis, or even Deangelo Hall. There are countless LBs that will catch Bush in the NFL. He will not be able to dance in the backfield anymore.

Good point. Everyone sees the highlights as Bush or Young or whomever else you want to throw into the mix against a Stanford or Baylor (hurts me to say it) or whatever where there aren't many guys on the team that even have a shot at making it as a UDFA in the NFL much less a draft pick. Some of the most talented and deep teams in the nation would be doing well to have 5 or 6 or 7 NFL quality players on their entire team (ie. FSU, Miami, etc.) When players make that leap from college to the pros they've got to have more than just natural ability because they're going to be faced with 11 guys on the opposing teams defense that have just as much if not more natural ability and the experience and knowledge of the game to boot.

Will Bush be able to run all over the field on an NFL defense like he does now against college teams? No. Will he still be successful as an NFL RB? I believe so, but that all depends on him and his commitment to be a player in this league. If he's willing to put the work in to make himself bigger and stronger and smarter then he'll see the results on the field. If he's only going to rely on his physical talents and skill then he's not going to be much more than a 3rd Down back.

tulexan
12-05-2005, 10:54 AM
While he may not be faster than Mathis, Vick, or DeAngelo Hall, what makes Reggie Bush so dangerous isn't just his pure speed. It is his ability to make cuts and moves while at full speed and his acceleration. Reggie has unbelievable body control and can make crazy moves while keeping his balance and remaining at full speed.

Kaiser Toro
12-05-2005, 11:46 AM
While he may not be faster than Mathis, Vick, or DeAngelo Hall, what makes Reggie Bush so dangerous isn't just his pure speed. It is his ability to make cuts and moves while at full speed and his acceleration. Reggie has unbelievable body control and can make crazy moves while keeping his balance and remaining at full speed.

I agree with your take on Bush.

Bullpen Drew
12-05-2005, 11:50 AM
THIS!
http://www.clubchopper.com/photopost/data/500/12825RBushTexan.jpg

beerlover
12-05-2005, 12:11 PM

Reggie has a strong, compact upper torso! what throws everyone off is the fact his legs are disproportionately long in relation to his body, giving him WR speed with the timing, strength & agility of a RB.

I have tried to keep away from this topic until he officially declares his intentions (shortly after the Rose Bowl) we should also know by then what draft pick the Texans have then we can discuss what to do.

uhcougar08
12-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Just to let you know, Bush works out with LT every summer, he reminds me of him a little.

TheOgre
12-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Somehow all of this hype reminds me of Sean Taylor. Don't you wish we had Taylor instead of Dunte? :brickwall

gg no re
12-05-2005, 07:58 PM
Don't be dissing Sean Taylor, he EARNED that DUI.

gwallaia
12-05-2005, 09:46 PM
The Texans will probably win 3 more games and drop out of the first pick. Just you wait and see.

texasguy346
12-05-2005, 09:56 PM
THIS!
http://www.clubchopper.com/photopost/data/500/12825RBushTexan.jpg

Looks like Morrency.

tulexan
12-05-2005, 11:12 PM
Except mirrored visors are now illegal in the NFL. In fact to get a tinted visor you need to have a doctor's note.

stevo3883
12-06-2005, 12:17 PM
wow. It was VY that was god on this board and now it is Reggie Bush who is. This is a weird thing that people dont understand about the NFL. You are not going up against a team that has 5 maybe 6 stars that might make the NFL anymore, you are going against the best of the best. Bush is fast, but he is not faster than Vick, Mathis, or even Deangelo Hall. There are countless LBs that will catch Bush in the NFL. He will not be able to dance in the backfield anymore. Don't get me wrong Bush is a good player and he should have a good career, when I see him play I think of Warrick Dunn. He is close to the same size at 5-11 190lbs. I think he will be that type of pro, with more long runs. Remember W. Dunn is a multiple time Pro-Bowler.

?? Bush is one of the fastest players ive ever seen, hes easily as fast as vick, if not faster. Hall's speed is extremely overrated, moss can attest to that. If he gets to the corner, no LB in the nfl will touch him, i can promise that.

I didnt buy into the hype for a while, but his past 2 games... the moves and speed have been mind blowing.

he isnt 5-11 190, hes 6-0 200 with a frame that can add a little weigth without losing much speed.

TEXANS84
12-06-2005, 06:03 PM
http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/8595/bushtex5ju.jpg

swtbound07
12-06-2005, 06:32 PM
http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/8595/bushtex5ju.jpg

that cat needs to protect the ball.....

gg no re
12-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Reggie looks fat in that picture.

We don't need one of those backs with weight issues.

Seriously. That's a huge belly.

Carr Bombed
12-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Do yall think the league will allow him to be #5, Are running backs allowed to have single digit #s

gg no re
12-06-2005, 09:15 PM
He's the next great thing.

OF COURSE he'll get to wear #5.

Carr Bombed
12-06-2005, 09:20 PM
im serious rbs aren't allowed to wear single digits are they?

YoungTexanFan
12-06-2005, 09:41 PM
im serious rbs aren't allowed to wear single digits are they?

its my understanding that only qb's, K's, and punters can be single digits.

gg no re
12-06-2005, 09:58 PM
And players who are the next great thing.

YoungTexanFan
12-06-2005, 10:00 PM
And players who are the next great thing.

Ryan? Ryan Leaf?

MorKnolle
12-06-2005, 10:44 PM
I am not aware of any rule governing what number a player can wear based on his position, but there could be one.

YoungTexanFan
12-06-2005, 10:51 PM
I am not aware of any rule governing what number a player can wear based on his position, but there could be one.

when was the last time you saw a linemen wearing a single digit #?

the rules as far as i understand them, i could be leaving some out or just be wrong:

0-19: QB, P, K, WR
20-39: RB, FB
20-49: CB, FS, SS
40-59: LB, FB,
60-79: OL, DL
80-89: WR, TE
90-99: DL
100+: Refs

from my understanding, if bush was to play rb AND wr, he could then wear #5 at the pro level.

MorKnolle
12-06-2005, 10:52 PM
I haven't seen it but I don't think there is any rule against it, just that those are the normal numbers. WRs never used to have anything outside of the 80s but there are numerous in the teens now. There are some LBs in the 90s too and some OL in the 50s. Like I said, there could be a rule on it but I've never heard of one.

infantrycak
12-06-2005, 10:58 PM
I haven't seen it but I don't think there is any rule against it, just that those are the normal numbers. WRs never used to have anything outside of the 80s but there are numerous in the teens now. There are some LBs in the 90s too and some OL in the 50s. Like I said, there could be a rule on it but I've never heard of one.

There are actual rules for numbers. For some time period Keyshawn was paying a fine each game. About 2 years ago the liberalized the rules some for when a set of numbers ran out, so for instance WR's could have teens if all the 80's were taken up by WR's, TE's, etc.

gwallaia
12-06-2005, 11:05 PM
Remember years ago when Brian Bosworth made a big stink about wanting to wear his college number #44 for the Seahawks? He had to settle for #55 and Bo Jackson running him over for a TD.

tulexan
12-06-2005, 11:51 PM
There are actual rules for numbers. For some time period Keyshawn was paying a fine each game. About 2 years ago the liberalized the rules some for when a set of numbers ran out, so for instance WR's could have teens if all the 80's were taken up by WR's, TE's, etc.

Keyshawn did not have to pay a fine. I just saw a piece on this on Cold Pizza. Like you said, all of the 80's were taken so he was allowed to use 19.

gg no re
12-07-2005, 12:38 AM
As such, we have to overstock on DBs and RBs if we are to accomodate for the needs of the next great player!

tulexan
12-07-2005, 12:40 AM
I want to see someone bust out the double zero.

lukejacobs1
12-07-2005, 06:44 AM
Everyone here keep's talking about "Reggie can't carry 25 times", that he's "To small to be an NFL back". Bullocks. Two of the top four backs in the NFL this year are smaller - Barber 5'11, 200 and Dunn 5'9, 180. So by everyone heres measure those two are to small to be NFL backs, someone should have told them that a few thousand yard seasons ago, saved them wasting their time trying. Reggie, Reggie, Reggie.

MorKnolle
12-07-2005, 06:52 AM
I want to see someone bust out the double zero.

I do know that no one is allowed to wear #0, but that would be cool to see anyways.

Huge
12-07-2005, 10:23 AM
when was the last time you saw a linemen wearing a single digit #?

the rules as far as i understand them, i could be leaving some out or just be wrong:

0-19: QB, P, K, WR
20-39: RB, FB
20-49: CB, FS, SS
40-59: LB, FB,
60-79: OL, DL
80-89: WR, TE
90-99: DL
100+: Refs

from my understanding, if bush was to play rb AND wr, he could then wear #5 at the pro level.
That's pretty close.

QBs: 1-19
RBs/FBs: 20-49
TEs: 40-49, 80-89
WRs: 10-19, 80-89 (Not allowed to wear single digits)
OLs: 50-79 (Only Cs can wear 50-59)
DLs: 50-79
LBs: 50-59, 90-99
DBs: 20-49
Ks/Ps: 1-19

It'd be cool to see them allow RBs/WRs to wear single digits though.

MorKnolle
12-07-2005, 12:13 PM
That's pretty close.

QBs: 1-19
RBs/FBs: 20-49
TEs: 40-49, 80-89
WRs: 10-19, 80-89 (Not allowed to wear single digits)
OLs: 50-79 (Only Cs can wear 50-59)
DLs: 50-79
LBs: 50-59, 90-99
DBs: 20-49
Ks/Ps: 1-19

It'd be cool to see them allow RBs/WRs to wear single digits though.

DL can be in the 90s too (Peppers, Freeney...)

Huge
12-07-2005, 12:40 PM
I knew I'd forget at least one.

infantrycak
12-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Not that any smart team would use a #1 pick for KR/PR duties, but this Bush is king at everything including KR/PR stuff is out of control. Bush is 40th in college ball at punt returns averaging 9.9 ypr and doesn't even sniff the top 50 at kick returns averaging 17 ypr--heck his long KR is 30--that is basically the same thing Mathis averages.

texplayer2
12-08-2005, 02:30 PM
Not that any smart team would use a #1 pick for KR/PR duties, but this Bush is king at everything including KR/PR stuff is out of control. Bush is 40th in college ball at punt returns averaging 9.9 ypr and doesn't even sniff the top 50 at kick returns averaging 17 ypr--heck his long KR is 30--that is basically the same thing Mathis averages.

The man doesn't get the chances anymore. People are either kicking away from him or just not scoring enough against SC to give him the opportunities. Put the ball in his Hand and look at the difference. I think I saw top five in most categories on an ESPN broadcast. What were his stats last year?

tulexan
12-08-2005, 02:34 PM
texplayer2 is right. Teams are kicking the kickoffs really high and short so that they have time to get down to him, they are either punting it out of bounds or again high and short to force him to fair catch it or have no room to run. Look at the way USC took Maurice Drew out of the kick and punt return game, that is the same thing that is happening to Reggie.

uhcougar08
12-08-2005, 03:53 PM
As such, we have to overstock on DBs and RBs if we are to accomodate for the needs of the next great player!

The problem is they are not producing, so why not try and go get another RB, or CB?:texflag:

Huge
12-08-2005, 04:11 PM
texplayer2 is right. Teams are kicking the kickoffs really high and short so that they have time to get down to him, they are either punting it out of bounds or again high and short to force him to fair catch it or have no room to run.
Teams tried kicking away from Hester and Drew as well but that didn't stop them from making plays. I agree teams have made adjustments in order to hold Bush in check but you're kidding yourself if you think he's the only player that's had this happen to him.

Look at the way USC took Maurice Drew out of the kick and punt return game, that is the same thing that is happening to Reggie.
USC took Drew's punt return game away by not punting the ball at all that day. Not every team has the luxury of having such a good offense that their punter is not needed some days.

MikeMc
12-09-2005, 04:50 PM
I just do not get why these "experts" keep saying that the Texans will be dumb not to get him. Why do we need another "not-so-every down" RB? Wells and Davis seem to complement each other nicely.

Will Bush really help Carr with the OL problems? NO!

I think this is the year that the team MUST select a top OL. There are several top quality OL in this year's draft....especially OTs.

The RB depth is solid as well if a sleeper is targeted on Day two.

Chicken or the Egg theory applies here. The battles are always won in the trenches....the DL is a problem area as well, and Walker has made his feelings public. The DL & OL need to be addressed this year.

Trading down is also an option for teams that want Bush. Maybe it is all a ploy by Bob & Charlie to get other teams excited about Bush, so that they will find someone to trade with.

THERE IS NO LOGIC WITH SELECTING REGGIE BUSH AFTER DD JUST RESIGNED!!!!