PDA

View Full Version : Who will have the #1 pick next year?

gtexan02
11-08-2005, 01:03 AM
Tough choice

Reddevil63
11-08-2005, 01:06 AM
either the Texans or Packers

Scooter
11-08-2005, 01:26 AM
i have no doubt it wont be the packers, despite having 1/2 his offense on IR or on other teams, favre and CO. will pull out atleast 5 wins. the biggest "losers" right now are the jets, 49'ers, saints, and texans. i voted texans, honestly because the season's over and with the way we've played thus far we really arent going to do more than find a couple upsets. besides that, we're better off losing out. winning means that capers has a glimmer of hope at staying and our draft choice moves higher. that said, the 49'ers are really, REALLY bad again. they're in the same boat of "maybe a couple upsets", so it's really a battle between us (even money says the loser of 49ers/texans game gets top pick). the saints arent entirely pathetic but still have no chance at a winning record, and the jets will likely survive their injury woes on hard work & luck.

MorKnolle
11-08-2005, 09:52 AM
Looking at the remaining schedule for these teams and also adding Tennessee in the mix (currently at 2-6) this is the order I think it will be:

1. San Francisco (3-13)
2. New Orleans (3-13)
3. Green Bay (4-12)
4. Arizona (4-12)
5. Tennessee (4-12)
6. Baltimore (5-11)
7. NY Jets (5-11)
8. Houston (6-10)

I didn't work out what would be the tie-breaker between 1-2, 3-5, and 6-7, but those are the records I predict for these teams. Among those teams, Arizona, Baltimore, and NY Jets will be looking for a QB and will likely trade up to try and get Leinart, Omar Jacobs (Bowling Green QB), Brady Quinn (if he comes out), and/or Drew Stanton. The 49ers have Alex Smith, the Saints have Aaron Brooks which I think they are pleased with for now, the Packers have Favre or Aaron Rodgers, Tennessee has McNair, and we have Carr, so none of those teams will be looking to get in the top 3-4 picks to get a QB, so ultimately I think Baltimore and Arizona will trade up to get the top two spots to get a new franchise QB.

edo783
11-08-2005, 09:59 AM
Kind of a coin toss IMO, but I will go with the 49ers. I suspect we will be winning 3-4 this year as we SEEM to be playing better. My major radical pick for a win....this weekend against the Colts. They expended a LOT of emotion and energy on Monday nights game with the Pats and could have a major let down on a short week, just when we are starting to play better. If it was in Relient I would be more confident, but I will go with this anyway.

MorKnolle
11-08-2005, 10:28 AM
I would love to say that I think we can beat the Colts this weekend, but honestly I don't. However, we do have Arizona, San Francisco, and Baltimore left, and all of them are on this list. We also have Tennessee which I think we can/should beat. Between St. Louis, Kansas City and Jacksonville at home I think we could win one of those, so I still see us going 5-11, maybe 6-10 on the year.

Coach C.
11-08-2005, 12:13 PM
Mork bringing the meat. I like your post I am leaning more toward 5-11, which would give us the 6-8th pick depending on tie breakers. That puts us in a position to get just what we need an elite OL. I would love to see Bush, but I doubt San Fan passes on him, which means NO takes best D prospect, GB and Tennessee will also likely go defense depending on how many people they lose. Baltimore is taking Quinn, Jacobs, Young or whatever top QB is still there. That would leave us and the Jets. The Jets will likely take a Offensive prospect, but not a QB and We will have to take Winston unless there is someone who really shines at the spot.

Napa Auto Parts
11-09-2005, 02:53 AM
The Texans i dont see the packers not winning they have something we lack a winner for a QB that knows how to win.

beerlover
11-09-2005, 10:24 AM
All I know is that the Texans will use their 1st pick on a LT. if they finish better than expected and lose out on the D'Brikashwaw sweepstakes there is still Eric Winston. he is looking healthy and back to form and as a bonus think of this little plan- y'all know that Eric was a Texas boy & played Midland-Lee? he was also recruited by the Miami Hurricanes as a TE, they've been known to have some good ones over the years haven't they? so here is the idea- line him up as a TE leave Pitts at LT, draft a couple top guards and you kill two birds with one stone. can you imagine the protection Carr would get on the left side? and if he needed to drop it off there would be Winston. Ok now you can call me :wacko:

MorKnolle
11-09-2005, 10:32 AM
I would likely take Winston over Ferguson anyways, but we'll have to wait and see how both of them finish the year and how they do at the combine and workouts.

YoungTexanFan
11-09-2005, 10:43 AM
I would likely take Winston over Ferguson anyways, but we'll have to wait and see how both of them finish the year and how they do at the combine and workouts.

Winston has a stronger upper body, and better hand punch.
D'brick has quicker feet, longer arms, and better balence.

If Joe Thomas declares, it will be a push for top spot between the three, but if they all declare I see them talent wise as:
D'brick
Joe Thomas
Winston

If they all declare and we are looking at potential:
D'brick
Winston
Joe Thomas

wags
11-09-2005, 10:58 AM

I haven't seen D'Brick play, but if Winston is considered a top ten LT then this ain't a good LT draft. Of the games I have seen him play he is just not that good. He is the first guy to pick his running back up off the ground because he isn't blocking anybody. Watch a Georgia game and Gilles nevers helps his running back up because he has to get off of the guy he just pancaked.

Coach C.
11-09-2005, 11:20 AM
wags just so you know that Winston has given up 2 sacks all year. Compared to 5 by Dbrick and Joe Thomas 3. I would think that you guys that post acutally watch the game and pay attention to technique. Joe Thomas is a great Tackle but maybe better as a RT or LG. D'brick is an elite LT and Winston is an elite LT it just depends on what you are looking for. You want someone who is strong and moves the pile and does not let your qb get lit up or do you want someone who is fast and cannot move the pile but does not let your qb get lit up. Bottom line of it is that right now Winston is my guy with D'brick a close second. After those guys the rest are a major step below.

wags
11-09-2005, 11:27 AM
If you like him that's fine. Everytime I have seen Winston I thought he stunk. Giving up two sacks in the college game is not impressive to me, and like I said I have not seen D'Brick play. So if Winston is better than D'Brick then I really hope we don't draft either one of them with the first pick.

Coach C.
11-09-2005, 11:30 AM
the difference is like Rogers and AJ when we picked them in the draft. One has tons of hype and the other has been quiet and just performed at the highest level of competition college has to offer. I think they are about the same and will both be Pro Bowlers by year 3, but I like my T with a mean streak and strong. More like Olando Pace rather than Walter Jones. I think the O Paces handle guys like Freeney better than the Walter Jones.

wags
11-09-2005, 11:36 AM
I jsut don't see Winston being a better prospect than Jamaal Brown was last year. Brown split time at LT and RT and gave up 0 sacks all year. He was an awesome run blocker as well. With Winston I don't see that at all. At least not against good teams like VT.

beerlover
11-09-2005, 03:53 PM
If you like him that's fine. Everytime I have seen Winston I thought he stunk. Giving up two sacks in the college game is not impressive to me, and like I said I have not seen D'Brick play. So if Winston is better than D'Brick then I really hope we don't draft either one of them with the first pick.

your basing opinion based on his first major game coming back from ACL injury @ the beginning of this season against a healthy, fired up & top level pass rushing D-Line (when healthy). yes he had some issues with his movements because he didn't have his legs or knee bend working just yet. however since then he has not given up a sack and his movements have returned to pre-injury status. where you not watching the VT game? he was dominant both in pass protection & run blocking.

and another thing if he smashes someone down to the ground, the whistle blows and the play is over I don't have any problem helping the guy back up as long as he smacks him back down again the next play, thats the way football should be played, its called sportsmanship :texans:

wags
11-09-2005, 04:04 PM
where you not watching the VT game? he was dominant both in pass protection & run blocking.

I watched the game and he was not impressive.

and another thing if he smashes someone down to the ground, the whistle blows and the play is over I don't have any problem helping the guy back up as long as he smacks him back down again the next play, thats the way football should be played, its called sportsmanship :texans:

Huh? I think you misunderstood what I typed.

He is the first guy to pick his running back up off the ground because he isn't blocking anybody.

He was always picking up his RB during the game, which is nice and all, but shouldn't he have been finishing his block or getting off of the guy he just pancaked?

beerlover
11-09-2005, 04:13 PM
I watched the game and he was not impressive.

I DO NOT AGREE WITH YOUR ASSESMENT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM, BUT YOU ARE ENTITLED TO YOUR OPINION AS I AM MINE

He was always picking up his RB during the game, which is nice and all, but shouldn't he have been finishing his block or getting off of the guy he just pancaked?

UNBELIEVABLE! WHAT WAS THE FINAL SCORE OF THE GAME? WHO WAS RANKED HIGHER? WHO WAS PLAYING ON THE ROAD? WHO DOMINATED THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE? WHO HAD THE MORE MOBILE QB? AND YOUR WORRIED ABOUT ALWAYS PICKING UP HIS RB? :thud:

Youngstown Colt
11-09-2005, 04:21 PM
If Joe Thomas declares, it will be a push for top spot between the three, but if they all declare I see them talent wise as:
D'brick
Joe Thomas
WinstonWho's Joe Thomas? My geuss is he plays for some team in Texas. Right?

YoungTexanFan
11-09-2005, 04:31 PM
Who's Joe Thomas? My geuss is he plays for some team in Texas. Right?

no, actually he plays for wisconsin. (sp?)
he is rated higher than many of the seniors, and he is still a junior.

I actually have only wanted us to draft a few Texas players, and only one in the first...DJ!

Youngstown Colt
11-10-2005, 01:04 AM
Wow, and the shame of it is, I'm a Wisconsin fan.

I watched most of their games, and his blocking never stood out. I'm assuming he has good measurables. Wisconsin always runs the ball extreamly well, and their linemen never really carry over to the pros.

HomeBred_Texan
11-10-2005, 10:42 AM
I don't know why everyone is getting so excited on a LT. With our first pick in the draft, the Houston Texans will take the smart choice and pick RB from USC, Reggie Bush and I for one will be glad they did....

awtysst
11-10-2005, 10:59 AM
I don't know why everyone is getting so excited on a LT. With our first pick in the draft, the Houston Texans will take the smart choice and pick RB from USC, Reggie Bush and I for one will be glad they did....

That would not be a smart move. Without a LT, we will never progress as a team. Why do you think Bush looks so good? Part of the reason is that he has a lot of talent. the other reason is becuase he has an excellent Offenisve line. He will be a bust if he plays behind our current line.

beerlover
11-10-2005, 11:06 AM

I'm on record about Bush so no problem personally with his selection from me, however is he a Cappers style back or would Casserly miss out on the chance to address a need position like LT with all the abuse he is receiving from four years of failure? I would almost bet if the Texans did have the 1st pick that Casserly would work out a trade package with the team offering the most in exchange to move up and draft Bush.

What I'm hoping for if this happens is a compensation package similar to most other high draft pick trades in the past of at least that teams #1 pick the following year. I feel we need at least two outstanding drafts back to back to get this program back on track & be a playoff team in 07-08.

HomeBred_Texan
11-10-2005, 11:15 AM
I'm on record about Bush so no problem personally with his selection from me, however is he a Cappers style back or would Casserly miss out on the chance to address a need position like LT with all the abuse he is receiving from four years of failure? I would almost bet if the Texans did have the 1st pick that Casserly would work out a trade package with the team offering the most in exchange to move up and draft Bush.

What I'm hoping for if this happens is a compensation package similar to most other high draft pick trades in the past of at least that teams #1 pick the following year. I feel we need at least two outstanding drafts back to back to get this program back on track & be a playoff team in 07-08.
Well I have been quite about my predictions because that is all they are, predictions...

But here goes....

We will select Reggie Bush with our first pick because he will be an All-Pro RB in a few years, pure and simple..
Also we will have 2 of the top 5 picks in the 2nd round and with those,

I predict that Casserly will trade them and move up in the first round and grab the big stud LT that we so desire. So it will give us the best of both worlds, a RB of All-Pro caliber and a LT to block Carr's backside.. :whoohoo:

beerlover
11-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Well I have been quite about my predictions because that is all they are, predictions...

But here goes....

We will select Reggie Bush with our first pick because he will be an All-Pro RB in a few years, pure and simple..
Also we will have 2 of the top 5 picks in the 2nd round and with those,

I predict that Casserly will trade them and move up in the first round and grab the big stud LT that we so desire. So it will give us the best of both worlds, a RB of All-Pro caliber and a LT to block Carr's backside.. :whoohoo:

I hate to burst your bubble but the Texans have two high 3rd round picks not "2 of the top 5 picks of the 2nd round".

HomeBred_Texan
11-10-2005, 11:23 AM
I hate to burst your bubble but the Texans have two high 3rd round picks not "2 of the top 5 picks of the 2nd round".
Please correct me if I am wrong. I am not aware of us getting rid of our 2nd round pick in the upcoming draft and we have N.O.'s 2nd rounder because of the 1st round swap were they got the best OL available and we moved down and got T Johnson...

beerlover
11-10-2005, 11:34 AM
Please correct me if I am wrong. I am not aware of us getting rid of our 2nd round pick in the upcoming draft and we have N.O.'s 2nd rounder because of the 1st round swap were they got the best OL available and we moved down and got T Johnson...

the Texans still have their own pick's in addition they hold the Saints 3rd pick (05 draft day deal where the Texans & Saints swapped 1st round picks & Saints compensated the Texans with their own 3rd round pick).

HomeBred_Texan
11-10-2005, 11:38 AM
the Texans still have their own pick's in addition they hold the Saints 3rd pick (05 draft day deal where the Texans & Saints swapped 1st round picks & Saints compensated the Texans with their own 3rd round pick).
Thanks..

And Well Darn......

I thought for sure it was a 2nd....

beerlover
11-10-2005, 11:41 AM
Thanks..

And Well Darn......

I thought for sure it was a 2nd....

no problem. I also forgot to say the aquired Saints 3rd pick is for the 06 NFL draft.

Texans Horror
11-11-2005, 08:46 AM
Anybody have any numbers on Joe Thomas?

MorKnolle
11-11-2005, 09:21 AM

Reggie Bush will not be drafted #1 by any team. Some teams (Baltimore, Arizona, NY Jets) would likely trade up to the top pick to get Leinart or Brady Quinn (assuming Quinn comes out), but no one will trade up to the #1 to get Bush.