PDA

View Full Version : All Encompassing Andre Johnson Thread (Just got some disturbing news about A Johnson)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

1-3
11-02-2005, 04:15 PM
Anyone have the latest news on AJ? I see questionable still listed on gambling sites. This offense could have a pulse with Pitts at tackle AJ-Gaffney-Armstrong/Mathis. and Bradford getting the crowd pumped up. Without Andre, I'm not liking our chances of scoring.

rmartin65
11-02-2005, 04:53 PM
Still questionable.

MorKnolle
11-02-2005, 04:54 PM
For the last couple weeks this had been the game I was expecting Andre to be back, so look for him to be back in the lineup this week. The official injury report should be released this afternoon.

Frills
11-02-2005, 05:17 PM
just heard on 610 that he practiced today...take that as you will

and another note, DD sat out due to an inflamed knee

Injury report:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=2128

Week 8 injury report
HoustonTexans.com

Injury Report: Texans at Jaguars (11/6/05)

Wednesday, Nov. 2

Texans

G Zach Wiegert (Ankle): Doubtful

WR Andre Johnson (Knee): Questionable

RB Domanick Davis (Knee): Probable

DE Gary Walker (Shoulder): Probable

Jaguars

S Deon Grant (Ankle): Questionable

WR Cortez Hankton (Hamstring): Questionable

C Brad Meester (Knee): Questionable

DT Marcus Stroud (Ankle): Questionable

WR Reggie Williams (Head/Shoulder): Probable

STATUS DEFINITIONS

Probable -- 75% chance player will play in the game

Questionable -- 50% chance player will play in the game

Doubtful -- 25% chance player will play in the game

Out -- Player will not play in the game

Dre_80
11-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Week 8 injury report
HoustonTexans.com
Injury Report: Texans at Jaguars (11/6/05)

Wednesday, Nov. 2

Texans

G Zach Wiegert (Ankle): Doubtful

WR Andre Johnson (Knee): Questionable

RB Domanick Davis (Knee): Probable

DE Gary Walker (Shoulder): Probable

:crying:

ccdude730
11-02-2005, 05:54 PM
DT Marcus Stroud (Ankle): Questionable
anyone think we will be able to run the ball more/better if he is out? thats my positive outlook for today.

i hope AJ plays. i heard somewhere that if he did he would not start, just come in as a situational guy. but i dont know how that would work out.

rmartin65
11-02-2005, 05:58 PM
We are toast if AJ and DD are gone.

MightyTExan
11-02-2005, 05:59 PM
AJ has been out for a while now. Caper's calls it a "mysterious injury". First they said it was his calf, then his knee.

Conspiracy theory:
1.AJ pretending to be hurt so he won't have to play on a sucky team?
2.AJ is has a serious(season ending) injury.

TEXANS84
11-02-2005, 06:01 PM
We are toast if AJ and DD are gone.

DD will play. Runningbacks get banged up week by week.

I'd like to have our offense back at full strength with Andre though. I'd especially like to have Mathis and Johnson with Gaffney in the slot.

rmartin65
11-02-2005, 06:24 PM
But its a knee injury. Those can get real bad if not treated cautiously.

1-3
11-02-2005, 07:02 PM
DD will play. Runningbacks get banged up week by week.

Yeah, but 100% DD and banged up DD are night and day. :(

Dre_80
11-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans WR Andre Johnson (calf) returned to practice Wednesday, Nov. 2 for the first time since suffering a calf injury and said he felt better than expected. Johnson's status for Week 9 has yet to be determined.
Yay he's back.:monkey: :dance: :excited: :yahoo:

ccdude730
11-02-2005, 07:25 PM
Yay he's back.:monkey: :dance: :excited: :yahoo:
moma sed nevu count ur chikinz befor dey hatch

alphajoker
11-03-2005, 08:24 AM
Yeah, but 100% DD and banged up DD are night and day. :(

Hopefully, considering the circumstances, maybe we'll see more of Morency.:drool:

edo783
11-03-2005, 10:51 AM
As usuall, the Texans are less than clear regarding player injuries. I doubt it's done to irritate the fans, but rather to make the opponets do more guessing.

Frills
11-03-2005, 12:07 PM
They aren't half as bad as NE

Hardcore Texan
11-03-2005, 01:53 PM
AJ has been out for a while now. Caper's calls it a "mysterious injury". First they said it was his calf, then his knee.

Conspiracy theory:

I hope and choose not to believe it #1, I think he has too much heart and competitive fire. And if it were to be #2, we are up a river without a paddle. I think we will see him on the field, at least somewhat. I think DD will play with the knee, if not expect a lot of J. Wells.
And Mathis, just keep doing what you have been doing!

:texans:

Nawzer
11-03-2005, 02:35 PM
There is no reason to bring back Andre Johnson if he's not 100% healthy. I know, I know there's no one who's 100% healthy in the NFL, but A.J. should come back if he's completely sure that the injury is behind him. We cannot risk him being injured long term and if that means him not playing the rest of the season then we'll have to take that precaution. He's too valuable and too good of a player for us.

El Tejano
11-03-2005, 03:47 PM
Also when he was playing, he wasn't catching anything. I hope he plays though and comes back and has the kind of impact Gary Walker had.

Dre_80
11-03-2005, 04:54 PM
Texans | A. Johnson Practices, Improving
Thu, 3 Nov 2005 13:20:58 -0800

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans WR Andre Johnson (calf) practiced Thursday, Nov. 3, and continues to improve. Johnson said he has every intention of playing in Week 9, barring any setbacks.
:jam:

Reddevil63
11-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Woo Hoo, now lets just hope that Capers will get his head out of his *** and play Mathis on the other side. That will really open things up :yahoo:

Vinny
11-04-2005, 06:19 PM
It's on our front page too Caddy...that's probably where she got it.

Extra receiver: Andre Johnson practiced on Wednesday and Thursday, and Capers said he did everything the coaches expected of him. However, the Texans held Johnson out of practice Friday.

In fact, Johnson and rookie wideout Jerome Mathis did not practice because both were bothered with tightness in their hamstring.

“I anticipate both of those guys being available,” Capers said. “We’ll work them out on Sunday, but they’ve both practiced two days this week. We just felt it was in their best interest to hold them out today.” http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=2144

rmartin65
11-04-2005, 06:20 PM
oops. I was gonna write what Vinny wrote. I hate being a slow typer.

swtbound07
11-04-2005, 08:25 PM
the latest news on andre is that i just bought his jersey....finally replacing the battle worn Houston-32 jersey i went out and bought when the franchise was first announced.....texan pride!

Texans_Chick
11-05-2005, 09:22 AM

Conspiracy theory:

No conspiracy, just something unusual and difficult to diagnose.

A couple of Mondays ago, AJ flew out of town to get another opinion about his injury. I don't know what the doctor said, but it is encouraging that he is moving on it.

As for the mysterious calf/knee thing, as I understand it, his injury is not a traditional knee injury where the problem is on the front or sides of the knee. The pain is in the back of the knee--where the knee connects to the calf. This is not a common knee injury, and it can be difficult to diagnose.

If you want to know all about this stuff, check out this link on diagnosing back of the knee pain:

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/2004/0304/muche.htm

The short version is that it can be lots of different things, and can sometimes be difficult to diagnose but most commonly it is "soft-tissue and tendon injuries."

Hope to see him on Sunday with no reinjury.

Dre_80
11-06-2005, 12:04 PM
Texans | A. Johnson Will Start Week 9
Sun, 6 Nov 2005 08:53:18 -0800

Houston Texans WR Andre Johnson (calf) will start Week 9.

:yahoo: :woot: :dance: :whoohoo:

rmartin65
11-06-2005, 12:06 PM
Now that we got AJ back, anything on Mathis? I read his hamstring was sore again.

Dre_80
11-06-2005, 12:09 PM
Jerome Mathis is inactive.

rmartin65
11-06-2005, 12:10 PM
oh no...

the wonger need food
11-06-2005, 12:12 PM
Jerome Mathis is inactive.

Well, no reason to watch the game today then.

Marcus
11-06-2005, 12:17 PM

Conspiracy theory:

How about . . .

3. Nothing really wrong with AJ, but the coaches are are keeping him out to force Carr to look for other receivers.
:heh: :heh:

awtysst
11-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Davis is out though.

utahmark
11-06-2005, 12:38 PM
andre finally gets back and now mathis is out. i was really looking forward to seeing both these guys on the field at the same time.

mussop
05-08-2014, 11:34 PM
A reliable friend just told me A Johnson is considering retiring. Says he just don't have it anymore. I hope this isn't true.

The Pencil Neck
05-08-2014, 11:38 PM
A reliable friend just told me A Johnson is considering retiring. Says he just don't have it anymore. I hope this isn't true.

If true, then maybe we should have gone Watkins.

:smiliepalm:

jaayteetx
05-08-2014, 11:39 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

gtexan02
05-08-2014, 11:41 PM
He stands to make millions. Very doubtful he walks away just like that

OzzO
05-08-2014, 11:42 PM
Uhhh... bonjour

dalemurphy
05-08-2014, 11:45 PM

Before you get brutally attacked by the board, let me defend you...

I believe you... I'm not predicting it will happen, but I do believe he's considering it. His body has taken one heck of a beating, and it has lost a lot of the explosiveness. I would imagine that the idea of a rebuild and on the heels of such an awful season is disheartening for him, particularly if his body is slow to recover from the season.

Shaft75
05-08-2014, 11:58 PM
Guaranteed 16 mill this year. No *******in way he's retiring.

Quit making a big deal about the voluntary camp no-show.

DX-TEX
05-09-2014, 12:11 AM
Source?

Seriously. This is garbage unless you can back it up

simmonjam1
05-09-2014, 12:11 AM
Johnson is a class act. It'd be a pretty dick move to retire after the draft.

euro-Texan
05-09-2014, 12:12 AM
I could actually see this he doesn't need the money and maybe he just doesn't wanna sit through another rebuild.

PapaL
05-09-2014, 12:15 AM
He's on the verge on the HOF. No way he walks away right now.

Ryan
05-09-2014, 12:15 AM

This.

infantrycak
05-09-2014, 12:26 AM
A formerly reliable friend.

Norg
05-09-2014, 12:29 AM
well he cant play forever ........ dats for sure

none issue IMO good thing this is a rebuilding year and we wont be going anywhere anyways we can draft our #2 WR next year and Hopkins will have to be the man

steelbtexan
05-09-2014, 12:30 AM
Guaranteed 16 mill this year. No *******in way he's retiring.

Quit making a big deal about the voluntary camp no-show.

AJ leaving that kind of $$$$ on the table = LOL

Maybe he wants to be traded. What's his value?

euro-Texan
05-09-2014, 12:31 AM

Wouldn't be the worse decision or choice from an alum of the u

DocBar
05-09-2014, 12:32 AM
I love draft day!!! And AJ

Brisco_County
05-09-2014, 12:36 AM
A 1400 yard season and he "just doesn't have it anymore?"

kiwitexansfan
05-09-2014, 12:37 AM
I was going to post something about mussop putting his credibility on the line....

but mussop.

kiwitexansfan
05-09-2014, 12:37 AM
AJ leaving that kind of $$$$ on the table = LOL

Maybe he wants to be traded. What's his value?

A 5th?

VTexan
05-09-2014, 12:38 AM
http://giant.gfycat.com/MediocreIncompleteDove.gif

PapaL
05-09-2014, 12:39 AM
A formerly reliable friend.

A formerly reliable former friend.

False Start
05-09-2014, 12:49 AM

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/lol.gif

htownfan32
05-09-2014, 12:51 AM
Eh. If your friend said he was upset about not having a new QB, that might be more believable, but even that's a stretch.

AJ will be gone in a few years, though. 2-3 seasons, perhaps? Hopefully the team plans for that eventually, but you don't just replace a guy like Andre Johnson.

texanhead08
05-09-2014, 12:58 AM
Wouldn't it be a cap wrecker if we trade him? That is saying something considering we have Rick Smith as a GM.

Tailgate
05-09-2014, 01:15 AM
Shouldnt this have gone in the Sources thread?:swatter:

eriadoc
05-09-2014, 01:17 AM
Shouldnt this have gone in the Sources thread?:swatter:

Don't you have to have a source to be in that thread? :D

Shaft75
05-09-2014, 01:21 AM
Wait...

Is he talking about A Johnson or "a johnson"? They have pills to get that out of retirement mode.

mussop
05-09-2014, 01:47 AM
I was going to post something about mussop putting his credibility on the line....

but mussop.

wow thanks. Just sharing what I heard. No reason to lie. I've been here for years and guarantee you no one can find a single incident of me ever making something up. You can choose whether you want to believe it or not, doesn't mean **** to me.

And me sharing this has nothing to do with him missing camp. I would share the whole story about who he said this to and what he told that person he needed to do and become. Why waste my time, I have no credibility.

BullNation4Life
05-09-2014, 01:53 AM
wow thanks. Just sharing what I heard. No reason to lie. I've been here for years and guarantee you no one can find a single incident of me ever making something up. You can choose whether you want to believe it or not, doesn't mean **** to me.

And me sharing this has nothing to do with him missing camp. I would share the whole story about who he said this to and what he told that person he needed to do and become. Why waste my time, I have no credibility.

maybe he is just tired of losing....

isn't that why Barry Sanders walked away? Couldn't get traded so he walked into the sunset. Maybe Johnson just doesn't have it in him to go through a 2-4 year rebuilding process, again....

don't no why this seems like a far fetched notion....

powda
05-09-2014, 02:07 AM

Im not ready to vouch for anyone , but ive never seen Mussop go off on a limb like this and ive been lurking here for almost 10 years. ( he was apesh*t for Colby fleener but aside from that nothing outlandish I can recall. )

thunderkyss
05-09-2014, 04:27 AM

Not that it..... the desire to play. He just doesn't feel like going through the motions.

He needs something to get excited about.

Like... maybe we should have drafted Manziel.

ObsiWan
05-09-2014, 06:50 AM
Not that it..... the desire to play. He just doesn't feel like going through the motions.

He needs something to get excited about.

Like... maybe we should have drafted Manziel.

Has anyone seen a quote or a reference where O'Brien has met with or talked to A.J.?
...at all??

Sigma
05-09-2014, 07:12 AM
I think he'll play this season, then his contract is finished so he can retire.

Unless he manage to have fun playing this year, which I don't really see happening.

amazing80
05-09-2014, 07:17 AM
LOL what a garbage thread, way to take up space on the server. :kitten:

thunderkyss
05-09-2014, 07:29 AM

Unless he manage to have fun playing this year, which I don't really see happening.

Andre's contract runs through the 2016 season but it's plus money for us if we cut him, trade him, or if he walks away this year ($3.6M).

ubecool454
05-09-2014, 07:40 AM

Here we go. Until I hear it from the Texans or Andre Himself its all hogwash. Stop listening to your "reliable" friends. A "reliable" source told me not to listen to reliable sources.

Texian
05-09-2014, 09:23 AM
Way to step up Mussop and to go with it. Kudos. If this is truly the case then Donte Moncrief @ #33 is kind of a no brainer tonight.

BullNation4Life
05-09-2014, 09:29 AM
Way to step up Mussop and to go with it. Kudos. If this is truly the case then Donte Moncrief @ #33 is kind of a no brainer tonight.

or what about Lee out of USC or Robinson out of Penn State, has some ties with the HC

2slik4u
05-09-2014, 09:34 AM
Source?

Seriously. This is garbage unless you can back it up

Dude, what the hell are you talking about?

Did you not read his post?

He said a "reliable friend". This friend of his can be counted on picking him up when he's broke down on the side of the road. Not sure about his NFL rumor reliability or not but he sounds like a friend Id like to have...you know being all reliable and junk...

2slik4u
05-09-2014, 09:35 AM

uh yeah...this ^^^

dc_txtech
05-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Dude, what the hell are you talking about?

Did you not read his post?

He said a "reliable friend". This friend of his can be counted on picking him up when he's broke down on the side of the road. Not sure about his NFL rumor reliability or not but he sounds like a friend Id like to have...you know being all reliable and junk...

I would pick you up if you were broken down on the side of the road.

mussop
05-09-2014, 10:14 AM
LOL what a garbage thread, way to take up space on the server. :kitten:

You just described every post you've ever posted.

I hope this is all BS Johnson has been my favorite Texan for years. Look at my avatar. And yes it was a "reliable friend" who told me this. Not trying to act like I have some inside source. I'm going to pm a couple of people and tell them the entire story and that will be the last I ever bring it up. It's a no win for me. If it's true then my favorite player retires. If it isn't true I'm sure I'll get ridiculed for this for a long time. In hindsight I guess I was stupid for wanting to share what I thought was reliable information about the team and one of its all time best players with people that I have talked texans football with for years.

Lesson learned.

Thorn
05-09-2014, 10:32 AM

I hope this is all BS Johnson has been my favorite Texan for years. Look at my avatar. And yes it was a "reliable friend" who told me this. Not trying to act like I have some inside source. I'm going to pm a couple of people and tell them the entire story and that will be the last I ever bring it up. It's a no win for me. If it's true then my favorite player retires. If it isn't true I'm sure I'll get ridiculed for this for a long time. In hindsight I guess I was stupid for wanting to share what I thought was reliable information about the team and one of its all time best players with people that I have talked texans football with for years.

Lesson learned.

meh....don't sweat it. It's a message board.

noxiousdog
05-09-2014, 10:46 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if he was considering it. It has to cross his mind. He'll be 33. His grandkids are financially secure. He's had multiple serious injuries. Who wouldn't consider it?

However, I don't think it will happen. It's really rare for guys at the top of their game to walk away, especially with that much money on the table.

Brisco_County
05-09-2014, 11:07 AM

It's the internet. No one has credibility. You need evidence or a source with a record.

Errant Hothy
05-09-2014, 11:09 AM
It would be a dick move of epic proportions for AJ to do this the week of the draft, which is why I have a hard time believing this.

RTP2110
05-09-2014, 11:17 AM
I would hate it but I could see it happening. He's what, 12 years in now? He probably doesn't want to rebuild and has said repeatedly that he wants to retire as a Texan. Hope it's not true, but he's at the point where this will start coming up more and more.

thunderkyss
05-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Mussop, I appreciate you sharing what you've heard. I don't need to know who your source is or anything like that. I'm smart enough to take it for what it is & see what happens.

It would be a dick move of epic proportions for AJ to do this the week of the draft, which is why I have a hard time believing this.

No one said anything about Andre "doing" anything this week. If this is true, we may not hear another word about it until the next set of OTAs, May 27th if not later.

infantrycak
05-09-2014, 12:02 PM
No one said anything about Andre "doing" anything this week. If this is true, we may not hear another word about it until the next set of OTAs, May 27th if not later.

As if that makes any difference to what he said. It would be a dick move if not announced to the team in advance of the draft which would be very un-AJ.

Double Barrel
05-09-2014, 12:55 PM
I could actually see this he doesn't need the money and maybe he just doesn't wanna sit through another rebuild.

It's not a rebuild. Bob McNair said so. :foottap:

Honestly, though, in that spirit, this team is only one season away from being a 12-4 team.

Granted, that season in between made us the crappiest team in the league, a laughing stock, and got the entire coaching staff fired.

But still, this team has a lot of talent.

We never know what goes through these players heads at the end of the day. If this rumor turns out to be true, then I'm sure it's something that AJ has been thinking about and feels it is the right thing to do.

I hope not, of course, and it doesn't seem like his M.O., but anything is possible.

xtruroyaltyx
05-09-2014, 12:57 PM
I don't think McNair believes it's a re-build. If he thought that the talent on the team wasn't good I don't think he'd bring McNair back.

Total rebuild, to me, would mean wiping out everything and starting over. I don't see a carryover GM being a part of a rebuild.

That said, it doesn't mean Andre sees it that way.

CloakNNNdagger
05-09-2014, 01:01 PM
Hope this isn't the case but........

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKr2YxmTXlzWoEY5gRwWQb-tyyvxD7RzAsFj4snjnAINunfaI2Gg

Lucky
05-09-2014, 01:06 PM
I believe AJ could have said it in private. Just as Farve said it in public for about 5 years. And then when called on it, played 2 more. He's going to be out there when it counts.

HJam72
05-09-2014, 01:26 PM
I think the list of QBs on our team is making him think about it (but not seriously).

silvrhand
05-09-2014, 01:44 PM
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/05/08/report-andre-johnson-was-denied-a-new-contract-in-2013/

Interesting...

Scooter
05-09-2014, 01:52 PM
andre's body language was really bad towards the end of last year. he went from looking frustrated to just dejected. losing wears on you and andre's been part of losing teams for a long time. CND had the right picture, "i'm tired" was the feeling i gathered. "rebuilding" again or whatever word you want to call it is likely making it harder to find the motivation that used to come easy.

i dont think he'll retire, but i've no doubt it's crossed his mind.

houstonspartan
05-09-2014, 03:45 PM
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2014/05/08/report-andre-johnson-was-denied-a-new-contract-in-2013/

Interesting...

That's one person using the word "might." Doesn't mean a thing.

Maybe the guy just doesn't have the energy anymore for another re-boot. I love the guy, and will probably tear up when he eventually retires, but I can't say I blame him.

The Texans have paid him well, but they have also wasted his career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texian
05-09-2014, 05:29 PM
First in reading quite a few mussop posts he doesn't strike me as one who posts such information if he really didn't believe it was possible.

Two, based on AJs age the claim is certainly plausible. AJ is now at the same age as Owens, Moss, Cinco and few others when their skills began to decline.

There are some folks who get to this point in their careers have said the off season preparation is tougher than playing a 16 game season. And the reason why they decide to retire.

Four, the bar for Texans QB play the next few years is set fairly low. Having to go through another demanding off season regiment knowing a rookie and/or a sub < .500 QB will be throwing to you could be reason enough to say, It's time!

badboy
05-09-2014, 06:04 PM
When someone posts something that is disagreed with why does his integrity have to be questioned? Not just this thread but it frequently gets personal with name calling and negative adjectives tossed back and forth. Sometimes this MB reminds me more of a playground.

A possible scenario was mentioned that is not stupidly ridiculous. We have seen players walk away from millions of dollars before. Sure most of us want Andre to go out in a blaze of glory..down the road with each season being better than one before. Let's discuss it, pros and cons without belittling each other. If you feel like you have to pee on a tree just because another walked into your little area of belief, get over yourself.

HTown2ATX
05-09-2014, 06:12 PM
:backsout:

Thorn
05-09-2014, 06:17 PM
When someone posts something that is disagreed with why does his integrity have to be questioned? Not just this thread but it frequently gets personal with name calling and negative adjectives tossed back and forth. Sometimes this MB reminds me more of a playground.

A possible scenario was mentioned that is not stupidly ridiculous. We have seen players walk away from millions of dollars before. Sure most of us want Andre to go out in a blaze of glory..down the road with each season being better than one before. Let's discuss it, pros and cons without belittling each other. If you feel like you have to pee on a tree just because another walked into your little area of belief, get over yourself.

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

-- Will Rogers

Double Barrel
05-09-2014, 06:18 PM

Quit acting like a grown up in this playground thread. :foottap: hehe

mussop has always been a solid poster, and personally, I think that should account for something. Well, a lot in my book. He's just relaying something he heard through a grapevine to his Texans buddies, but apparently, some folks do not like the message and shoot the messenger.

I think the internets has been a positive thing in many ways, but I also think the dark side of it is that it has made many folks cynical and jaded. If a new guy comes on and says this stuff, yeah, he lacks credibility and the response would be understandable. But mussop is not new and has never been one to do this sort of thing for attention, so I think he is being honest about something he heard that might be right or might be wrong. We shouldn't be scared to come to our forum and talk about stuff like this. JMO

Corrosion
05-09-2014, 06:29 PM
Quit acting like a grown up in this playground thread. :foottap: hehe

mussop has always been a solid poster, and personally, I think that should account for something. Well, a lot in my book. He's just relaying something he heard through a grapevine to his Texans buddies, but apparently, some folks do not like the message and shoot the messenger.

I think the internets has been a positive thing in many ways, but I also think the dark side of it is that it has made many folks cynical and jaded. If a new guy comes on and says this stuff, yeah, he lacks credibility and the response would be understandable. But mussop is not new and has never been one to do this sort of thing for attention, so I think he is being honest about something he heard that might be right or might be wrong. We shouldn't be scared to come to our forum and talk about stuff like this. JMO

Now you see why I kept my mouth shut for all those years .... :foottap:

Double Barrel
05-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Now you see why I kept my mouth shut for all those years .... :foottap:

yep. I never blamed you for keeping low, but certainly appreciated you discretely sharing it with a few of us. :)

I'm not sure if I would come to the general forum with information. Just not sure if it's worth the hassle.

mattieuk
05-09-2014, 07:03 PM
Just logged onto a Canadian sports website, and one of the subheadlines was "WR Johnson Traded to 49ers".

I've just about got my heart beat consistent again. Damn Stevie Johnson.

MEGA SWATT
05-09-2014, 07:21 PM
Now that MS is gone AJ is fine. book it.

RTP2110
05-09-2014, 07:27 PM

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/f7/f759652815d35bdefe92a0186317efdaeff16bf900db67e5be 45159d88fce245.jpg

amazing80
05-09-2014, 07:51 PM

Lesson learned.

:vincepalm: Didn't mean to make you butt hurt. But all these "my reliable friend told me" posts are irritating. Unless your friend is Johnson, Rick Smith, Johnsons agent or Johnsons mother, your source is garbage and always will be. No scenario other than those listed above yield any more knowledge than you or me. You might as well have said, I had a dream....because the 2 are no different from each other.

Either way, I still like you (even though you hate me?) and will read your posts, but I hope you refrain from any more, the mail mans cousin married a lady who has an uncle, who knows a reliable gardener type posts.

Go Texans!

badboy
05-09-2014, 08:06 PM
:vincepalm: Didn't mean to make you butt hurt. But all these "my reliable friend told me" posts are irritating. Unless your friend is Johnson, Rick Smith, Johnsons agent or Johnsons mother, your source is garbage and always will be. No scenario other than those listed above yield any more knowledge than you or me. You might as well have said, I had a dream....because the 2 are no different from each other.

Either way, I still like you (even though you hate me?) and will read your posts, but I hope you refrain from any more, the mail mans cousin married a lady who has an uncle, who knows a reliable gardener type posts.

Go Texans!What if Andre did speak to Mussops friend? You do not know if that type of source is crap or not. Why can't you read, offer "why or why not" then move on? He did not offer the type source you say. Perhaps you should ease up a bit. It's a message board for discussion.

thunderkyss
05-09-2014, 08:10 PM
:vincepalm: Didn't mean to make you butt hurt. But all these "my reliable friend told me" posts are irritating.

All of them? Really?

Maybe you're lumping this in with all the "anonymous" sources in the media, if so, I can understand. But a guy here with an anonymous source isn't really the same thing. Especially someone who hasn't given you any reason to believe he's pulling your leg (some people are sure talkers).

amazing80
05-09-2014, 08:15 PM
All of them? Really?

Maybe you're lumping this in with all the "anonymous" sources in the media, if so, I can understand. But a guy here with an anonymous source isn't really the same thing. Especially someone who hasn't given you any reason to believe he's pulling your leg (some people are sure talkers).

Im not saying his "source" didn't say this to him, Im saying use your common sense that we're all blessed with and weed out the garbage people tell you...

My reliable source says Andre loves Houston and does not want to retire. He is excited for the season and our new offense......eat your heart out

DocBar
05-09-2014, 08:27 PM
im not saying his "source" didn't say this to him, im saying use your common sense that some of us are blessed with and weed out the garbage people tell you...

My reliable source says andre loves houston and does not want to retire. He is excited for the season and our new offense......eat your heart outfify...

powda
05-09-2014, 08:44 PM
Kinda ****ty that people here are attacking the source rather then the news because no one wants to hear it. Mussop has no history of this kinda thing and is relating what he was told by someone who knows. It may or may not be accurate but its on AJ's mind and i believe it based on his PM to me. You guys need to relax and soak it in. An old pro is tired of new coaches and new schemes and subpar qb play. Why is that hard to believe?

Texanmike02
05-09-2014, 09:01 PM
For Mussop (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81582&highlight=mussop)

It's almost like an anniversary lol. Seriously though muss is good people. Not sure why the attack.

Mike

amazing80
05-09-2014, 09:05 PM
For Mussop (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81582&highlight=mussop)

It's almost like an anniversary lol. Seriously though muss is good people. Not sure why the attack.

Mike

Does it matter how many good things or insightful posts you make if you believe and spread news that is far fetched and ignorant? Honest question.....

This is beyond just Mussop and this thread.

powda
05-09-2014, 09:16 PM
Does it matter how many good things or insightful posts you make if you believe and spread news that is far fetched and ignorant? Honest question.....

You have 1500 post here and I dont know you to spew nonsense. Is that worth anything? I think it is and I grant Mussop the same credibility. You guys need to F*ckin relax.

Texanmike02
05-09-2014, 09:25 PM

Yeah. Mussop is ok in my book. He had a rough start but he's fine by me. If he's wrong... oh well. Let the person that hasn't passed some sort of news to their friends and been wrong about it throw the first stone.

Mike

badboy
05-09-2014, 09:30 PM

This is beyond just Mussop and this thread.Man you are starting to lose respect. You don't know that info is far fetched or ignorant. Why is your opinion so much more value than anyone else's?

Home team fan
05-09-2014, 09:32 PM
I believe he heard this from a friend. Not sure who the friend is? But please please tell your friend to talk AJ out of it.

Texan_Bill
05-09-2014, 09:45 PM
yep. I never blamed you for keeping low, but certainly appreciated you discretely sharing it with a few of us. :)

I'm not sure if I would come to the general forum with information. Just not sure if it's worth the hassle.

D, as you know, Rob may (or may not have a little insight) irrespective of a certain person being gone that may, or may not have been "in the know"!

Texan_Bill
05-09-2014, 09:46 PM
D, as you know, Rob may (or may not have a little insight) irrespective of a certain person being gone that may, or may not have been "in the know"!

That makes no sense to most, BUT makes complete sense to those of us!

amazing80
05-09-2014, 09:58 PM
Man you are starting to lose respect. You don't know that info is far fetched or ignorant. Why is your opinion so much more value than anyone else's?

My OPINION isn't more valuable than anyone in this forum, but Im also not going around saying nonsense. And when I do, I get called out on it, and Im ok with it. As Mussop is.....don't post ridiculous things and get butt hurt when you get called out on it. JMO

Corrosion
05-09-2014, 10:22 PM
That makes no sense to most, BUT makes complete sense to those of us!

<plays dumb>

:gamer:

Corrosion
05-09-2014, 10:24 PM
Mossup your inbox is full .... clean that thing out! :nolisten:

mussop
05-09-2014, 10:24 PM

Mike

:backsout:

mussop
05-09-2014, 10:30 PM
Mossup your inbox is full .... clean that thing out! :nolisten:

Fixed it.

mussop
05-09-2014, 10:36 PM
My OPINION isn't more valuable than anyone in this forum, but Im also not going around saying nonsense. And when I do, I get called out on it, and Im ok with it. As Mussop is.....don't post ridiculous things and get butt hurt when you get called out on it. JMO

First off I don't hate you. I don't hate anyone. You threw a handfull at me, I threw a hand full back. I'll leave it at that. See Texanmike02 I have learned from my mistakes :):worldpeace:

powda
05-09-2014, 10:37 PM
To the random poster/reader. Have you noticed how many people have stepped up in Mussop's defense? This doesnt mean his source is accurate, evidently AJ hasnt even made up his mind. He could very well play a couple more seasons and I dont think Mussop has disputed that. Only that AJ is tired and disgusted with learning new offenses from new coaches with more sub par qb's. How is that hard to understand? I'm just as frustrated as a fan.

Pantherstang84
05-09-2014, 10:44 PM
To the random poster/reader. Have you noticed how many people have stepped up in Mussop's defense? This doesnt mean his source is accurate, evidently AJ hasnt even made up his mind. He could very well play a couple more seasons and I dont think Mussop has disputed that. Only that AJ is tired and disgusted with learning new offenses from new coaches with more sub par qb's. How is that hard to understand? I'm just as frustrated as a fan.

I'm frustrated too. There were QBs to build around in this draft and the Texans could have had the pick of the litter. Glaring hole at the most important position on this roster.

Dishman
05-10-2014, 07:32 AM
Feels like it should go here.

“From my understanding is, Andre might have wanted new money last year and they didn’t give it to him.” Travis Johnson told Mad Radio with Mike Meltser and Seth Payne Thursday.

“Andre is preparing…he’s working hard. I think he’s going to be here. There’s no scenario where he’s not going to be here. I don’t think he’s mad at the team at all.”

ObsiWan
05-10-2014, 07:35 AM

Go Texans!

A simple, "I won't believe this until I hear it from Johnson or the Texans" would have been sufficient.
Try to keep it classy.

ObsiWan
05-10-2014, 07:59 AM
This is where you're blinded by stubborness. Your stubborness refuses to let you believe Andre is, to put it simply, tired.

think about it.

- the QB that AJ had the best rapport with was traded to Oakland.
- the coach and OC that made sure the offense ran thru AJ is gone - fired before the season was even over.
- the young QB that AJ thought would bring some new fire to the team kind of crashed and burned
- the new HC says all acknowledgements of individual honors are banned from the facility. What player, that is still a Texan, has most of those honors? Answer: AJ
- When the new HC was asked about AJ's absence, all he'd say was a terse "we'll coach who shows up". Best player in Texans' history and that's all he's got?? No "we checked and he's working out in FL" or "he's attending to some personal stuff"... Nothing.

Maybe AJ has had enough of having to "start over".

We all hope it isn't true. But my mind is not so closed that I can't conceive of him having that mentality.

And before you go down the "he'd never walk away from 16 million." path. I think AJ would walk away from it before he'd stay here and go thru the motions just to get paid.

Tearstain
05-10-2014, 08:28 AM
I go to work and sometimes I say I am fed up and losing it.

Don't mean I am going to quit right there and then.

For me I actually believe AJ has said something like this (after reading all the posts here)

All he needs is to feel roar of of the fans in that first game and his desire will be back.

Do not make me get on the next plane over there and smack all your hands for been nasty ;)

Texanmike02
05-10-2014, 09:43 AM
First off I don't hate you. I don't hate anyone. You threw a handfull at me, I threw a hand full back. I'll leave it at that. See Texanmike02 I have learned from my mistakes :):worldpeace:

MSR

infantrycak
05-10-2014, 09:52 AM
This is where you're blinded by stubborness. Your stubborness refuses to let you believe Andre is, to put it simply, tired.

think about it.

- the coach and OC that made sure the offense ran thru AJ is gone - fired before the season was even over.
- the young QB that AJ thought would bring some new fire to the team kind of crashed and burned
- the new HC says all acknowledgements of individual honors are banned from the facility. What player, that is still a Texan, has most of those honors? Answer: AJ
- When the new HC was asked about AJ's absence, all he'd say was a terse "we'll coach who shows up". Best player in Texans' history and that's all he's got?? No "we checked and he's working out in FL" or "he's attending to some personal stuff"... Nothing.

We all hope it isn't true. But my mind is not so closed that I can't conceive of him having that mentality.

And before you go down the "he'd never walk away from 16 million." path. I think AJ would walk away from it before he'd stay here and go thru the motions just to get paid.

I don't buy any of it, I mean maybe some disgruntlement but nothing serious, but there is zero reason to attack mussop for reporting what he heard.

Hervoyel
05-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Stupid damn thread! Gave me a nightmare last night after I went to bed following the draft. I dreamed that AJ asked for his release because he didn't want to play here and that McNair gave it to him. Then he went to Baltimore and won a ring.

Woke me up with cold chills

Bad thread! Bad! I want to swat it with a rolled up newspaper!

michaelm
05-10-2014, 10:21 AM
Bad thread! Bad! I want to swat it with a rolled up newspaper!

Yeah? Well I wanna shove it's nose in ****.

Thorn
05-10-2014, 10:30 AM
So, in conclusion, everyone is forgiven and we all love each other. Let's put this one to bed.

Surreal McCoy
05-10-2014, 10:32 AM
Man you are starting to lose respect. You don't know that info is far fetched or ignorant. Why is your opinion so much more value than anyone else's?

+1

However, wouldn't that imply there was some to begin with?

CloakNNNdagger
05-10-2014, 10:37 AM

Rep coming your way!

sandman
05-10-2014, 12:03 PM

I thought the media was specifically told not to ask about players that were not in attendance? I read his comments about not wanting to talk about anyone who was not there. I'm not sure how we can interpret hostility from OB about AJ not being there based on those five words.

Like Johnny Football going at 1:1, the concern over this statement is a bit of a reach. IMHO, and we all get along and buy each other beers and all that, of course.

Txn_in_FL
05-10-2014, 12:17 PM

think about it.

I think people are in spazz mode for no reason. The vet is merely letting everyone know who runs the show.

But… if he is pissed or being traded or something like that, I hope he wins a damn ring. He deserves it and I doubt anyone in Houston will be upset if he does.

#80 is in the rafters no matter what he does at this point.

EllisUnit
05-10-2014, 12:25 PM
If AJ did retire i wouldnt be mad, the guy has given everything to this city. His body has taken a beating over the years, i'm sure he knows his days are numbered as it is.

Would i be sad not to see him on the field on sundays ? HELL YEAH, but i would understand. Not to mention you dont think AJ will become a coach of some sort in the nfl ??? I imagine in a few seasons he would be back with the texans as our WR coach or some BS. Just imagine him teaching his trade to all our young WRs.

Fili
05-11-2014, 01:53 PM
I could see the reasoning behind him wanting to retire. The offense is rebuilding and we have no solid quarterback.

Marshall
05-11-2014, 01:57 PM

The older you get, the longer it takes to heal. I suspect this is part of the picture. Things change as the season approaches.

Marshall
05-11-2014, 02:00 PM

Andre's contract runs through 2016. So it's not a retirement year.

Marshall
05-11-2014, 02:11 PM
First in reading quite a few mussop posts he doesn't strike me as one who posts such information if he really didn't believe it was possible.

Two, based on AJs age the claim is certainly plausible. AJ is now at the same age as Owens, Moss, Cinco and few others when their skills began to decline.

There are some folks who get to this point in their careers have said the off season preparation is tougher than playing a 16 game season. And the reason why they decide to retire.

Four, the bar for Texans QB play the next few years is set fairly low. Having to go through another demanding off season regiment knowing a rookie and/or a sub < .500 QB will be throwing to you could be reason enough to say, It's time!

We are not as devoid of QB talent as you would have us believe.

Texian
05-11-2014, 04:41 PM
We are not as devoid of QB talent as you would have us believe.

Let's revisit this in October.

CloakNNNdagger
05-12-2014, 05:37 PM
Finally. Understandable why he missed minicamp.

Andre Johnson Explains Why He Severed His Penis (http://www.bet.com/news/music/2014/05/12/andre-johnson-explains-why-he-severed-his-penis.html)

Playoffs
05-12-2014, 05:49 PM

Andre Johnson Explains Why He Severed His Penis (http://www.bet.com/news/music/2014/05/12/andre-johnson-explains-why-he-severed-his-penis.html)

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y462/staffpicks/Animated_GIFs/Anchorman.gif

ObsiWan
05-12-2014, 10:00 PM

I thought this article had already been posted in it's own thread...??
:thinking:

mussop
05-12-2014, 11:28 PM
Well hopefully since we haven't heard anything yet it's not true.

badboy
05-12-2014, 11:36 PM
Well hopefully since we haven't heard anything yet it's not true.
Uh, did you read the article? You doesn't has to call me Johnson.

xtruroyaltyx
05-13-2014, 03:20 PM
Supposedly Dre is saying that he doesn't know if the Texans are still the right team for him.

He was in Houston during the last mini camp but chose to work out by himself.

Not planning on going to OTA's.

Playoffs
05-13-2014, 03:25 PM
James Palmer @JPalmerCSN
Again Andre Johnson plans not to attend OTAs and mini camp. Wondering if this is the place for him. Been with #Texans longer than anyone

Andre Johnson said he's going to take his time to make his decision. Upset about losing and being on 3rd head coach are factors. #Texans

Andre Johnson said he's only been to PO 2x and a few winning seasons. Offseasons have been frustrating. Plans to not attend OTAs. #Texans

Andre Johnson said he's been wondering if this is still the place for him. Hasn't asked for trade though. #Texans

Andre Johnson said he was here in houston during mini camp. Working on some things. Said he's been in contact with Bill. #Texans
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Johnson said he hasn't demanded a trade or anything and has spoken to Bill O'Brien several times during the offseason. #Texans

Andre Johnson said the losing has gotten to him. #Texans

Johnson said as of now, he's not planning on going to OTAs as of now. #Texans

Andre Johnson said he was in Houston during the last minicamp. Said he wonders in Houston is still the place for him. #Texans
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli
Johnson was speaking at the Houston Area Women's Center where he donated $30,000 raised at his golf tournament. #Texans

Johnson said losing has been frustrating him. Mentioned being on his third head coach. #Texans

Andre Johnson says he's been wondering if this is the place for him. Says he doesn't plan to be at OTAs or minicamp currently. #Texans

xtruroyaltyx
05-13-2014, 03:25 PM
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro 4m
Andre Johnson said the losing has gotten to him. #Texans

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro 3m
Johnson said he hasn't demanded a trade or anything and has spoken to Bill O'Brien several times during the offseason. #Texans

https://twitter.com/DZangaro

xtruroyaltyx
05-13-2014, 03:27 PM
So Dre was here during mini camp. Just chose not to attend.

Texian
05-13-2014, 03:29 PM
Not so fast my friends.....it does appear now that Mussop was in fact on to something. Some here may want to apologize for their rude comments. Andre is in fact admitting much to what mussop was trying to tell you.

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 11m

Andre Johnson said he's only been to PO 2x and a few winning seasons. Offseasons have been frustrating. Plans to not attend OTAs. #Texans

Andre Johnson said he's been wondering if this is still the place for him. Hasn't asked for trade though. #Texans

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith 11m

Andre Johnson: "This offseason has been very frustrating for me." Doesn't plan to attend OTAs. #Texans

14m

Johnson has not requested trade. Talks to Texans once a week. But he's been through a lot, Texans are rebuilding and he's unsure of future

Andre Johnson: "Is this still the place for me?"

Andre Johnson said he's in a "situation" where he's focused on things. Will see "what happens."

Playoffs
05-13-2014, 03:35 PM
I'm bummed...

We need to keep Andre in Houston, man.

MistaRed
05-13-2014, 03:37 PM
Wow....sucks to hear this

powda
05-13-2014, 03:39 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/13/andre-johnson-wonders-aloud-about-texans-future/

Thanks for the heads up Mussop.

BullNation4Life
05-13-2014, 03:41 PM
Not so fast my friends.....it does appear now that Mussop was in fact on to something. Some here may want to apologize for their rude comments. Andre is in fact admitting much to what mussop was trying to tell you.

James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN 11m

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith 11m

Andre Johnson: "This offseason has been very frustrating for me." Doesn't plan to attend OTAs. #Texans

14m

Johnson has not requested trade. Talks to Texans once a week. But he's been through a lot, Texans are rebuilding and he's unsure of future

Andre Johnson: "Is this still the place for me?"

Andre Johnson said he's in a "situation" where he's focused on things. Will see "what happens."

I say, send him to NE for Mallet and some draft picks and call it a day. Dude deserves more than what he has gotten and Texans should send him out with a chance to win...

hell if Montana can get traded and Rice and get cut, Andre Johnson can too...

xtruroyaltyx
05-13-2014, 03:44 PM
Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro 1m
"Losing. That’s it. I don’t play to lose. I don’t think anyone in this league does. That’s probably most frustrating." AJ on frustration

Hervoyel
05-13-2014, 03:46 PM
I'm bummed...

I understand the sentiment and know how you feel but something tells me that we need to not get hung up on trying to keep him here forever. AJ has been great for the Texans and he's made a lot of money through the years but the man needs something more than money. He wants to be a champion.

I think the Texans need to let him go if he no longer wants to be here and I think we should all avoid jumping on their collective asses if and when they do it. Don't give him away and don't trade him to some crappy exile location. See if there is a team that's in perennial contention that wants him and make a deal if that's what he's asking for.

He says he hasn't asked for a trade but when a player says that it really means they're thinking about asking for a trade but don't want to be the one to bring it up. AJ's given his best years to this team. The mistake of hiring Gary Kubiak sealed his fate long ago. He may be on a Super Bowl winner or participant but it isn't going to be here in Houston.

They should try to make a deal that works for him out of gratitude for what he's done and then move on. If Emmett Smith can play in Arizona as a Cardinal then Andre Johnson can go to San Francisco or New England and finish his career up the way he wants to.

Playoffs
05-13-2014, 03:49 PM
James Palmer ‏@JPalmerCSN
Andre Johnson says #Texans know how he feels and they've talked.

Question: Do U have any plans to attend OTAs or the mandatory mini camp in June?

WR Andre Johnson: If I had to say right now ... no

steelbtexan
05-13-2014, 03:50 PM
I'm bummed...

why if he doesn't want to be here and the Texans can trade AJ to help improve the team. I would take Mallett a 1st and 3rd for AJ. The Pats are looking for WR help.

On another note anybody know why Andy Cruse wasn't participating in OTA's I thought Cruse would be the slot WR BOB is looking for.

HOU-TEX
05-13-2014, 03:52 PM
Can't say I blame him.....but, he's under contract, so he's not going anywhere unless he's cut, traded or retired. He'll show when the fines start coming

maddogmrb
05-13-2014, 03:53 PM
AJ is the greatest Texan to date ... that being said, he is getting paid MILLIONS to PLAY football. He needs to show up.

I'm sure some of us have received slightly less pay to show up for work that is not in ideal circumstances and have to put in longer hours, too. He needs to man-up.

Marshall
Let's revisit this in October.

Soytanly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlH7h-_QQw4

mussop
This SUCKS!!! I Was really hoping to be wrong. Oh well I wish nothing but the best for Johnson. Who ever said we should trade him to NE is right. Send him somewhere where he at least has a chance to go out on top. We have something they need and they have something we want. Sounds like the right move to me.

xtruroyaltyx
Sounds like Dre is trying to force the team's hand.

Ryan
05-13-2014, 03:54 PM
Andre needs a sabbatical for a few months and come back fresh minded for training camp. He's not going to miss out on the payday he has coming this year(16 m if i'm not mistaken).

steelbtexan
05-13-2014, 03:54 PM
This SUCKS!!! I Was really hoping to be wrong. Oh well I wish nothing but the best for Johnson. Who ever said we should trade him to NE is right. Send him somewhere where he at least has a chance to go out on top. We have something they need and they have something we want. Sounds like the right move to me.

Thanks

CretorFrigg
05-13-2014, 03:55 PM
A bit selfish on Andre's part to be honest. This is a team sport and nobody is above the team.

Ryan
05-13-2014, 03:55 PM
I'm way too greedy when it comes to Dre, he's my all time favorite Texan, and this is sad to hear. I was happy for him when i thought we were at least becoming a perennial playoff contender and then last year happened.

ThaJokaa
05-13-2014, 03:57 PM
AJ needs to stay!!!
I would cry like a lil ***** if he asks for a trade!

ThaJokaa
05-13-2014, 03:58 PM
A bit selfish on Andre's part to be honest. This is a team sport and nobody is above the team.
It's not when you've given a losing team 12 years and nothing.
I'm way too greedy when it comes to Dre, he's my all time favorite Texan, and this is sad to hear. I was happy for him when i thought we were at least becoming a perennial playoff contender and then last year happened.
Exactly how I feel!

redwhiteANDblue
05-13-2014, 03:58 PM
:overreact:

Anyone but AJ. I just hope he decides to stay...Texans without Andre feels so incomplete

mussop
05-13-2014, 03:59 PM

Not trying to come off as an insider or anything like that but yes they have talked. Andre let all this be known at a team meeting BEFORE the draft. I feel comfiratble saying this outloud now. Just want it out there now before people start ripping him for waiting until the draft was over.

When we didn't draft a WR I figured it was bad info. Surprised it has taken this long to make it to the media.

Ryan
05-13-2014, 04:04 PM
I think Dre will be fine. He's been through worse than this in his career with us and stuck it out. He needs a few months to enjoy himself and not deal with mini camps and OTAs. He doesn't need them anyway.

Until we have a true contigency plan for him, we need him. And we won't get any value at all for cutting or trading him at this point in time. Maybe he'll end up liking the team's direction after all.

Victor B
05-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Can he even be traded? How much of a cap hit is he and is there any team out there that can realistically take that hit at this time?

mattieuk
05-13-2014, 04:05 PM
If I'm Tom Savage, I'm buying a 6 pack right now and heading over to AJs.

I cannot believe that the Texans wouldn't make a big push to help him buy into the prospects for the next 2 years. They didn't focus on finding a replacement for him in the draft, so I hope that is an indicator of where the team are at.

Andre doesn't hate the Texans/the city - he wants to win. They need to sell to him that they are not rebuilding (which I don't think they are) from the ground floor up - just altering the style of the team to give them a maximum chance of winning.

He doesn't need a trade - he needs to feel the excitement about next season that we all do.

Ryan
05-13-2014, 04:06 PM
Can he even be traded? How much of a cap hit is he and is there any team out there that can realistically take that hit at this time?

I think we'd end up taking most of the hit if we were to trade him due to all of the restructures that have been converted to signing bonus.

xtruroyaltyx
05-13-2014, 04:10 PM
I think the reason Dre let all of this out is because he's seriously considering retiring or asking for a trade.

PaddleTail
05-13-2014, 04:11 PM
What a sad day for this Franchise. I fear we have seen the last of Andre in a Texans uniform. I am crushed.

gary
05-13-2014, 04:12 PM
This would be on Bob.

xtruroyaltyx
05-13-2014, 04:13 PM
“I mean, we bring a new coach in, you know, you go through a rebuilding process,” Johnson said. “Some people say it’s not rebuilding, some people say it’s a quick fix. Everybody has their own opinion. I’ve been through the situation more than once. Like I said, I’m just taking some time, thinking about some things and when I make my decision, I make my decision and go from there.”
http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/johnson-not-sure-about-future-houston

False Start
05-13-2014, 04:14 PM
Wow.... this blows. I am truly upset, bummed. :(

Ryan
05-13-2014, 04:17 PM
I think the reason Dre let all of this out is because he's seriously considering retiring or asking for a trade.

He's not retiring on the verge of the Hall of Fame and a 16 million dollar payday. Trade....maybe but I don't see it not this year at least.

xtruroyaltyx
05-13-2014, 04:18 PM
He's not retiring on the verge of the Hall of Fame and a 16 million dollar payday. Trade....maybe but I don't see it not this year at least.

I don't know Dre personally so I'm not going to say I know for sure what he is or isn't doing.

I'm just speculating like you are. And IMO, I think retirement is on the table.

Victor B
05-13-2014, 04:18 PM
http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/johnson-not-sure-about-future-houston

Well, that sounds like retirement not asking for a trade, IMO. I don't think AJ is the type of player to "make his decision" on whether or not he wants a trade. He is no LeBron.

Blake
05-13-2014, 04:19 PM
Having to deal with Schaub for so many years will drive anyone crazy.

AJ just telling it like it is. But unfortunately for him his bloated salary would make a move difficult for a team to take on in addition to the price the Texans would want.

Somebody tell JJ to get J-Jo DJ, and JD to talk this man down!

pirbroke
05-13-2014, 04:21 PM
why if he doesn't want to be here and the Texans can trade AJ to help improve the team. I would take Mallett a 1st and 3rd for AJ. The Pats are looking for WR help.

On another note anybody know why Andy Cruse wasn't participating in OTA's I thought Cruse would be the slot WR BOB is looking for.

I don't think with his age we could get anything close to that, maybe just mallet and the 3rd. And I would do that.

xtruroyaltyx
Having to deal with Schaub for so many years will drive anyone crazy.

AJ just telling it like it is. But unfortunately for him his bloated salary would make a move difficult for a team to take on in addition to the price the Texans would want.

Somebody tell JJ to get J-Jo DJ, and JD to talk this man down!

I think Dre knows that, which is why I think he's considering retirement.

Not many contenders can take on that salary and not send good players back in return I don't think...

drs23

Well Sir, you weren't and thanks again for the heads up.

Here's to hoping AJ has a change of heart.

TheRealJoker
05-13-2014, 04:25 PM
He makes 16 million this year guaranteed. This is gonna be the right place for him opening day.He's gonna catch wounded ducks from whoever we start at QB and he's gonna love every minute of it!

xtruroyaltyx
05-13-2014, 04:25 PM
Apparently Dre is now saying he is planning on skipping an upcoming mandatory camp as well as OTA's.

Texian
05-13-2014, 04:26 PM
Not trying to come off as an insider or anything like that but yes they have talked. Andre let all this be known at a team meeting BEFORE the draft. I feel comfiratble saying this outloud now. Just want it out there now before people start ripping him for waiting until the draft was over.

When we didn't draft a WR I figured it was bad info. Surprised it has taken this long to make it to the media.

Apparently you're an insider

Playoffs
VIDEO: http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/johnson-not-sure-about-future-houston

Say Watt
Idiot Texans. Can't blame him at all. Probably wouldn't be happening if Texans had done the smart thing and traded up for Johnny Manziel. Who can blame him having Ryan Fitzpatrick throwing him the ball next season.

I hope we trade him to a winning organization. He deserves it.

gwallaia
05-13-2014, 04:29 PM
Earl Campbell also deserved to be a on winning team and get a ring.

Errant Hothy
05-13-2014, 04:31 PM
Idiot Texans. Can't blame him at all. Probably wouldn't be happening if Texans had done the smart thing and traded up for Johnny Manziel. Who can blame him having Ryan Fitzpatrick throwing him the ball next season.

Yeah, because that makes sense how?

Manziel is a Brown, if you've got that much of a hard on for him become a Brown's fan.

Nothing makes this fan base truly stupid like local QBs.

El Tejano
05-13-2014, 04:34 PM
This sucks.

humblegeo
05-13-2014, 04:34 PM
Its pretty clear he doesn't want to go thru another team rebuild at his age being a veteran with only a few years left. He wants out I don't blame him. What are the Texans options? How does this work can they trade him...release him...get something for him??

gary
05-13-2014, 04:35 PM
I hope Bob is happy.

Texian
05-13-2014, 04:37 PM
Looking on the bright side, if the Texans were to trade Andre that is basically a wash with the salary cap this year (2014). However, in 2015 it would bring $8 million in cap relief. In 2016 it adds $12 million in additional cap space.

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Andre%20Johnson&Position=WR&Team=Texans

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/andre-johnson/

On the negative side, it is clear Andre and the Texans have been talking and yet the Texans took no provisional course of action in the draft to protect against the unthinkable from happening, happening. Knowing that Donte Moncrief was there in the 3rd RD is a major SNAFU.

houstonspartan
05-13-2014, 04:39 PM
I hope Bob is happy.

Yep.

I am not an "I told you so" person.

But sometimes you have to go there.

I called it.

Over and over again. I called it.

This is why you can NOT accept mediocrity. EVER.

Gary's contract extension was a MASSIVE mistake.

HUGE.

The irony is, we finally have a head coach that may be the answer, and Andre doesn't have it in him.

Can't say I blame him.

What a disaster.

santo
05-13-2014, 04:40 PM
This sucks.

Sad to see him go as a Texan fan, but as an Andre Johnson fan, I would rather see him go to the Patriots or Green Bay, where his chances of winning a championship drastically increase.

He's been loyal to this organization, but hopefully they'll be able to work a deal and send him to a place where he can help another team win a championship this year.

Marshall
05-13-2014, 04:41 PM
If I'm Tom Savage, I'm buying a 6 pack right now and heading over to AJs.

I cannot believe that the Texans wouldn't make a big push to help him buy into the prospects for the next 2 years. They didn't focus on finding a replacement for him in the draft, so I hope that is an indicator of where the team are at.

Andre doesn't hate the Texans/the city - he wants to win. They need to sell to him that they are not rebuilding (which I don't think they are) from the ground floor up - just altering the style of the team to give them a maximum chance of winning.

He doesn't need a trade - he needs to feel the excitement about next season that we all do.

While we didn't DRAFT a WR, our best UDFA is Mike Davis.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/mike-davis?id=2543757

He's another underachiever with tools to be better. Several of our picks follow this pattern including 1-1 and 7-256. It's all about converting the potential into performance.

gwallaia
05-13-2014, 04:41 PM
I am perplexed that the Texans did not draft a WR then. What does the free agency market look like for WR?

Surreal McCoy
05-13-2014, 04:45 PM
Looks like Mussop was right all along. And, well, a certain someone has more than a little egg on his face...:wadepalm:

gtexan02
05-13-2014, 04:49 PM
My gut says he will be in texans uni come opening day.
If not, shame on him. We've given him respect and tons of money. We've given him new contracts when's he's asked for them even when he's still under an old one.

I think AJ and Schaub were closer than we realized

TheIronDuke
05-13-2014, 04:49 PM
I think everyone is over-reacting big time.

Nawzer
05-13-2014, 04:50 PM
All good things must come to and end. I would like to see him in a high powered offense like the Packers, Saints or even the Pats. It would be fun see what AJ's numbers would be like if he had a great QB throwing to him.

Mr teX
05-13-2014, 04:51 PM
AJ is a great,we all know this & i'd hate to see him retire but at the end of the day, If he does...oh well.

& i'm sorry, but i can't feel sorry for this dude...not with how much money he's likely got in his bank account. It's been great watching him play but he won't be the 1st & certainly not the last great to retire without winning a ring.

texanhead08
05-13-2014, 04:52 PM
If they cut or trade him its going to kill us cap wise.

2014 11 million hit
2015 7.3 mill hit
2016 2 million

I could see us doing something next year but its pretty much a lock he is here for the 2014 season I don't care how butthurt he might be that we are rebuilding and didn't wanna redo his deal last year.

MistaRed
05-13-2014, 04:53 PM
Please stop with the "Dre deserves better." agenda. No one made him sign those contracts the Texans offered.

humblegeo
05-13-2014, 04:54 PM
I mean, there must be a reason why Fitzpatrick has now been on 5 different NFL teams and why the Texans would even consider a quarterback reject with that kind of history. I can see why Johnson is not happy. Is that the best we can do for a starting quarterback for the 2014 season? Guess it's going to be a rebuild year. When you're the worst team in the nfl you have to rebuild. Pitiful situation for Johnson at this point.

houstonspartan
05-13-2014, 04:54 PM
My gut says he will be in texans uni come opening day.
If not, shame on him. We've given him respect and tons of money. We've given him new contracts when's he's asked for them even when he's still under an old one.

I think AJ and Schaub were closer than we realized

Yes, we've paid him well. So?

We've also seen him restructure when asked to free up salary cap money.

The issue is that he's a very talented, hard-working guy, regardless of how much money we've paid him.

And, if it was just about money for him, wouldn't he just shut up and play? Instead, he's questioning whether he wants to be here anymore.

The guy has been extremely well-paid, but, he's also wasted his career. Andre is one of those players that are very competitive, and likes to win.

houstonspartan
05-13-2014, 04:57 PM
Please stop with the "Dre deserves better." agenda. No one made him sign those contracts the Texans offered.

You're correct. But, there's nothing wrong with him looking back, and re-assessing whether the money was worth it. He probably could have gotten paid nearly equal amounts and gone to a better team by now.

I just think he's doing some serious career soul-searching.

Yes, we've paid him well, but, we've also taken him for granted, too.

SW H-TOWN
Oh this really sucks. I thought of this thread after I saw the news and I have to say I chuckled a few times while reading some of the posts. Good for you for sticking your neck out and giving us the heads up!!!

PaddleTail

2014 11 million hit
2015 7.3 mill hit
2016 2 million

I could see us doing something next year but its pretty much a lock he is here for the 2014 season I don't care how butthurt he might be that we are rebuilding and didn't wanna redo his deal last year.

Your numbers are totally off. Cutting him outright or trading him makes it almost a 12 million cap hit this year and then nothing in 2015 and 2016. Cutting or trading him actually saves 3.6 million vs the cap this year.

Topher
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENXvZ9YRjbo :crying:

drs23
05-13-2014, 04:58 PM

2014 11 million hit
2015 7.3 mill hit
2016 2 million

Is it the same hit if he officially retires?

Texan_Bill
05-13-2014, 04:59 PM
Meh.... I think when it's all said and done he'll been lining up at Reliant, errrrr NRG for 10+ games this season but by the same token I can understand his frustration with the organization, like the draft and 3 coaches in 11 seasons. I think I would be contemplating my immediate future as well.

texanhead08
05-13-2014, 05:00 PM
Your numbers are totally off. Cutting him outright or trading him makes it almost a 12 million cap hit this year and then nothing in 2015 and 2016. Cutting or trading him actually saves 3.6 million vs the cap this year.

That would be the numbers cutting him during the contract. I misread the future hits when I read the info. I thought it was the same if we traded him I didn't realize it was only a one year hit if we traded him.

gwallaia
05-13-2014, 05:02 PM
You know, Bernie Kosar won a Super Bowl ring with the Cowboys. I wonder how much that ring means to him. I think a Super Bowl ring with the Browns would have meant a whole helluva lot more.

PaddleTail
05-13-2014, 05:03 PM
That would be the numbers cutting him during the contract. I misread the future hits when I read the info. I thought it was the same if we traded him I didn't realize it was only a one year hit if we traded him.

I see what you are saying now. My apologies. You meant if he were to be cut in that respective year right?

Tailgate
05-13-2014, 05:04 PM
What would Andre demand on the market? 2nd round pick?

As sad as it is to remember the man wont be playing for us forever and the thought of him being remembered for success elsewhere hurts, we honestly may be better served as an organization to trade him right now. We arent winning any superbowls in the next 2 years and Stud recievers at least seem to be coming out frequently these days (I know its impossible to replace AJ).

Could a team get desperate and overpay for him? I wouldnt want to see him gone for something stupid like a 4th rounder as selfish as that sounds.

Texian
05-13-2014, 05:04 PM

The numbers are the same if AJ is traded or cut. Regardless all amortized $ (prepaid bonuses) come due. You're earlier numbers are wrong. Go back and try subtracting dead money from the same year salary.

TEXANRED
05-13-2014, 05:06 PM
With AJ's contract and all the restructuring he has done he will either be a Texan or go ahead and retire.

texanhead08
05-13-2014, 05:07 PM
I see what you are saying now. My apologies. You meant if he were to be cut in that respective year right?

I misinterpreted it at first and those numbers go way down in each year. The trade/release is a one time cap hit at the numbers I posted.

Mr teX
05-13-2014, 05:07 PM

Jesus christ...

PaddleTail
05-13-2014, 05:09 PM
To be clear, his cap number this year is 15.6 Million if he stays here. If he is cut or traded, his cap number for us is almost 12 million or 3.6 million in savings this year and zero cost next or 2016. His cost to a new team if traded would be 10 million base salary.

PaddleTail
05-13-2014, 05:13 PM
I am not quite sure which site is accurate - Spotrac or Overthecap. I am using overthecap numbers.

TexanSam
05-13-2014, 05:14 PM
Sucks to hear, but can't blame him for his frustrations. That said, we are rebuilding and even though he's the best player in franchise history I think Rick Smith and BOB should at least be open to a trade. If we could score a significant draft pick or two, that could help the team in the long run as opposed to AJ remaining a Texan. It would be hard to stomach him leaving though.

Bulls on Parade
05-13-2014, 05:17 PM
Sucks to hear, but can't blame him for his frustrations. That said, we are rebuilding and even though he's the best player in franchise history I think Rick Smith and BOB should at least be open to a trade. If we could score a significant draft pick or two, that could help the team in the long run as opposed to AJ remaining a Texan. It would be hard to stomach him leaving though.
Good point. I love the pieces we have defensively and we have the makings of a really strong offensive line especially on that left side. I hate to say it because it sounds too cliche but we're really just a good quarterback away from having a playoff caliber team. Can any of the signal callers on the current roster step up? I have high hopes for Tom Savage but I can understand why Andre Johnson is questioning his future with this team.

badboy
05-13-2014, 05:17 PM
year base bonus roster bonus Cap

2014 $10,000,000 $4,644,583 $1,000,000 $0 $0 $15,644,583

dead $ cap savings
$11,964,166 $3,680,417
2015 $10,500,000 $4,644,583 $1,000,000 $0 $0 $16,144,583 $7,319,583 $8,825,000
2016 $11,000,000 $2,675,000 $1,000,000 $0 $0 $14,675,000 $2,675,000 $12,000,000
http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Andre%20Johnson&Position=WR&Team=Texans

b0ng
05-13-2014, 05:18 PM
Meh. The guy has earned the right not to attend all the voluntary stuff the team does in the offseason. If he's contemplating retirement well, he's earned that right to do that as well. Props to mussop for breaking this on the board well before any news agencies picked this up.

I will be really sad when Dre is no longer a Texan, but luckily JJ Watt owns bones and will be really fun to watch for the next decade.

Playoffs
05-13-2014, 05:19 PM
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Johnson wouldn't know how to dress without media crowded around him. He told me once he's so used to it he doesn't notice us anymore.

If Texans thought Johnson would be a long-term issue, they would have drafted a WR. They didn't. He'll be back, just a matter of when.

Johnson has to be able to pay for those floor seats at Rockets games, right?

Johnson has 3 years left on his contract. He's not going anywhere. His base salaries are 6.5, 10.5 and 11.

In all my years of covering the NFL, I've never known a player more professional than Andre Johnson. U can imagine what big news this is.

I imagine Johnson will get over it and report at some point. He's not the kind to rock the boat. This is a first for him.

Johnson is going into his 12th season He's the greatest player in team history. Coming off consecutive Pro Bowls, 32 in July. Going strong.

Johnson said it wasn't about contract and he didn't ask 2 B traded. Well, if that's the case, at some point, he'll report. It's who he is

So a frustrated Andre Johnson blew up today. Very uncharacteristic. He's been unhappy and frustrated a lot but usually bites his lip.

PaddleTail
05-13-2014, 05:19 PM
The difference in spotract and otc is an additional 3.5 million in base salary on Andre this year. John Mcclain is reporting his base to be 6.5 million (which agrees with spotrac). If that is the case, it is a wash this year on a trade or cut cap wise, and the new team would pick him up at 6.5 million this year. That makes him alot more tradeable for another team.

texanhead08
05-13-2014, 05:20 PM
Its funny how these veterans always wait till after the draft to start bitching about their contracts, or the direction of the team. They know they have the advantage then and will more often than not get what they are asking for.

TexansSeminole
05-13-2014, 05:20 PM

This is the cold hard truth.

I have been thinking about this for months, after a friend of mine said that we should probably trade him. My initial reaction was, "no way." He's the greatest player in our history and given that we are such a young franchise, he means a lot to our history. But the truth is that we aren't competing for a championship in at least a year, probably more like 2 or 3 at the least. By then, Andre is going to be about 35 and getting something (a draft pick or two) out of him now might actually make more sense. I would hate to lose him though.

xtruroyaltyx
05-13-2014, 05:21 PM
If he comes back, this really could fire up the team.

atomictelephone
05-13-2014, 05:22 PM
Its funny how these veterans always wait till after the draft to start bitching about their contracts, or the direction of the team. They know they have the advantage then and will more often than not get what they are asking for.

See mussop's later posts. Andre brought up his frustrations privately BEFORE the draft.

Thorn
05-13-2014, 05:29 PM
AJ will be back, and he'll work hard. I'm not worried about this at all.

TheMatrix31
05-13-2014, 05:29 PM
Sad to see him go as a Texan fan, but as an Andre Johnson fan, I would rather see him go to the Patriots or Green Bay, where his chances of winning a championship drastically increase.

He's been loyal to this organization, but hopefully they'll be able to work a deal and send him to a place where he can help another team win a championship this year.

You'd rather see him on the Patriots?

What the **** kind of person are you?

If Andre Johnson ever wore a Patriots uniform, I'd probably stop watching football.

WolverineFan
05-13-2014, 05:33 PM

Who wouldn't?

However, no team is going to offer a young QB + a 1st and 3rd for a 33-year old WR who has 3 years and $42M left on his contract.

steelbtexan
05-13-2014, 05:33 PM
I am perplexed that the Texans did not draft a WR then. What does the free agency market look like for WR?

Miles Austin/Santonio Holmes/Burress/Earl Bennett etc....

With Hopkins (If he is all that Smith thinks he can be) Posey while not optimal the Texans can get by this yr running a lot of 12 personel.

IDEXAN
05-13-2014, 05:37 PM
If we all only had Andre's problems. Tens and tens of millions of dollars in compensation over the years from the Texans, and all he wants't to do is act like a child and go "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh" ! What a surprise and disappointment that Andre would act like this now. If your life is so tough for you in the NFL, just go retire and quit whining like a little kid..

TheMatrix31
05-13-2014, 05:40 PM
You'd think Andre Johnson of all people would know that this isn't a 2-14 roster and that a bunch of **** had to go wrong at once for us to be that bad last year. SMFH.

Marcus
05-13-2014, 05:40 PM
I don't see how in the world you could force him to play here if his head is not in it. If this is where he's at, I don't see anything that could possibly change it. And from a coaching staff point of view, having him still on the team would be poisonous.

I don't blame him. At all. Nobody should. All he wanted to do was win. And unlike most other players, he let his play do the talking.

But I think he's done enough for the Texans organization, that they should just release him from the team, so he can go somewhere that has a chance of getting a ring before he hangs it up.

gary
05-13-2014, 05:41 PM
Stayed with Capers and then Kubiak too long.

xtruroyaltyx
05-13-2014, 05:42 PM
Trade him to the Colts.

That way Texan fans can still see him 2 times a year and he'll still play in reliant every year of his career.

b0ng
05-13-2014, 05:43 PM
If we all only had Andre's problems. Tens and tens of millions of dollars in compensation over the years from the Texans, and all he wants't to do is act like a child and go "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh" ! What a surprise and disappointment that Andre would act like this now. If your life is so tough for you in the NFL, just go retire and quit whining like a little kid..

Can you play football like Andre Johnson can? Who are you to say he's acting like a child when his skillset is one of only a few people on the entire planet possess? Because he's that talented, teams are willing to compensate him with those millions of dollars, and that has absolutely zero to do with how he feels about his current employment.

I'm guessing there's a little bit of jealousy here with this post.

Texecutioner
05-13-2014, 05:43 PM
You'd rather see him on the Patriots?

What the **** kind of person are you?

If Andre Johnson ever wore a Patriots uniform, I'd probably stop watching football.

Hopefully it happens then.