PDA

View Full Version : Jerome Mathis

Bubbajwp
10-30-2005, 03:48 PM
I dont think we need a #2 WR any more.
Now we need a #1 WR.

BigBalla1983
10-30-2005, 03:52 PM
what do you mean now we need a number 1 reciever? Andre Johnson??????

Bubbajwp
10-30-2005, 03:55 PM
I mean we need to get him on the field.

run-david-run
10-30-2005, 04:03 PM
All i know is that not to many people are complaning about reggie swinton being released anymore! Mathis has shown he can stretch the field, needs to work on his hands, but once AJ gets healthy, i feel better about our O.

utahmark
10-30-2005, 04:06 PM
All i know is that not to many people are complaning about reggie swinton being released anymore! Mathis has shown he can stretch the field, needs to work on his hands, but once AJ gets healthy, i feel better about our O.

a tight end, lineman or two, and a new offensive coordinator and we might have us a good offense.

RTP2110
10-30-2005, 04:13 PM
Mathis = Texans MVP.

rmartin65
10-30-2005, 04:16 PM
Mathis is sick. He is the best pick of the draft so far.

the wonger need food
10-30-2005, 04:17 PM
Mathis = a reason to watch the Texans play

PapaL
10-30-2005, 04:40 PM
With the way Gaff and Mathis have been playing, think AJ will be back next week? If we could throw Bradford under a bus, we would be good to go.

rmartin65
10-30-2005, 04:42 PM
With the way Gaff and Mathis have been playing, think AJ will be back next week? If we could throw Bradford under a bus, we would be good to go.
Yea, Mathis, Gaff and AJ would scare the heck out of most Defensive Coordinators(sp?).

GP
10-30-2005, 04:48 PM
Bradford just played his way out of the starting rotation today.

If he didn't, then this coaching staff is a bunch of flamers for certain players.

rockabilly
10-30-2005, 04:51 PM
Mathis is no doubt delivering on all the off season hype we gave him. He is no doubt earning his check. Without Mathis, we wouldnt of won this game. Not only for that great TD catch, but for our field position getting us into field goal range.

Mathis's jersey is the only one I would buy right now. He is our Dante Hall.

NoBullTexan
10-30-2005, 04:53 PM
Bradford made the team after underachieving for two years before that! Just where do you suppose the coaching staff should pickup on the fact that he is a loser? Oy yeah, since they are too.......!:rolleyes:

rmartin65
10-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Mathis is no doubt delivering on all the off season hype we gave him. He is no doubt earning his check. Without Mathis, we wouldnt of won this game. Not only for that great TD catch, but for our field position getting us into field goal range.

Mathis's jersey is the only one I would buy right now. He is our Dante Hall.
Im trying to find a Mathis jersey right now...

TheRealJoker
10-30-2005, 05:45 PM
Mathis attempted to foil the Texan's plans to lose last week.

This week, he succeeded!!! He caught the td and the coaches made sure not to have him catch another pass all game. I bet they were searching high and low to find someone to replace him on kick returns when he kept reeling off the long gains!!!

rmartin65
10-30-2005, 05:46 PM

This week, he succeeded!!! He caught the td and the coaches made sure not to have him catch another pass all game. I bet they were searching high and low to find someone to replace him on kick returns when he kept reeling off the long gains!!!
Casserly must be frustrated, he accidently drafted a good player...

TheRealJoker
10-30-2005, 05:47 PM
Casserly has no need to worry. All he has to do is trade Mathis for a 6th rounder next year and everything will be all better ;)

HoustonFan
10-30-2005, 05:59 PM
I listened to most of the game after getting almost to Centerville. Sucks when you can't watch, but I'm excited about the win. And the emotions were no differemt in the car as I was driving. There were a couple of times where they had excellent field position, but could not get the touchdown. Man, they need to learn how to finish.

Mathis was awesome again this week, despite being a little shaky after that first TD. Can't wait for AJ to get back. I hope he plays next week. I agree that AJ, Gaffney, & Mathis would be trouble - Bradford, has butterfingers right now and needs to get that checked out.

Ugly win, but I'll take it.

tsip
10-30-2005, 06:15 PM

...so true, a Caper's coached team seldom builds on unplanned successes but always reverts back to the 'coaching not to lose' mode--Browns weren't scoring TDs, neither were the Texans. This win is vintage Capers and Romeo coached right into the scenario--one announcer even made a comment that Romeo said he was 'coaching not to lose' too much, needed to get away from that philosophy. Most coaches have figured out Caper's game plan and I thought Romeo would too--instead, he played into Caper's 'backyard.'...today was Caper's turn in the candy store!:texflag:

nunusguy
10-30-2005, 06:31 PM

I gotta be the umptenth person to tell you rockabilly that you nailed it with your comments about Mathis - he's our MVP in this game ! I hope Capers gave
him a game ball because he deserves it. And we are just starting to tap this
guys potential. How could he have fallen all the way to the 4th round ?

yaboycm
10-30-2005, 06:35 PM
Mathis is sick. He is the best pick of the draft so far.

For sure. Good pick Casserly.

rmartin65
10-30-2005, 07:40 PM
I gotta be the umptenth person to tell you rockabilly that you nailed it with your comments about Mathis - he's our MVP in this game ! I hope Capers gave
Mathis was our MVP last week too.

He feel to the fourth round because he was from a small school and had questionable hands. He was accused of 'double catching'. At least, thats what I read somewhere...

utahmark
10-30-2005, 07:42 PM
Mathis was our MVP last week too.

He feel to the fourth round because he was from a small school and had questionable hands. He was accused of 'double catching'. At least, thats what I read somewhere...

bradford used to double catch. now he no catches.

BeerTastesLikeVictory
10-30-2005, 07:58 PM
Next week we will see Mathis Opposite AJ, and Jabar in there as well. Bradford is riding pine Im sure. If we get DC some options we have a chance next week.

Texans Horror
10-30-2005, 07:59 PM
Gaff and Math rocked today. I kept expecting Math to pull a TD run off the kick-off.

thefuture17
10-30-2005, 08:12 PM
Does anyone think Mathis will ever become a number 1 reciever or a probowl reciever??????

swtbound07
10-30-2005, 08:19 PM
jerome mathis has more kick returns for TD's in his young career then the tampa bay buccaneers have in their 30 year franchise history.:texflag:

touttail
10-30-2005, 08:33 PM
After his play the last two weeks, the opposing teams will either kick a squibb kick or try to kick it away from him. He is too good for them to continue to kick the ball to.

bobby 119C

rmartin65
10-30-2005, 09:21 PM
Does anyone think Mathis will ever become a number 1 reciever or a probowl reciever??????
If he stays a Texan(and I hope he does) he will not be a number one but he could probably be a pro bowl player alongside AJ. With those two out there, the defense will be too stretched.

phan1
10-30-2005, 10:18 PM
Yeah, but as a WR, I honestly don't expect too much from him...yet. He still looks like a rookie (had a big drop last weekend). He's like Morency IMO. A guy with lots of ability (even more than DD IMO) but is just obviously inexperienced. I expect him to really improve as the season goes on though. Today's TD catch will hopefully be a big confidence booster.

As for having him on special teams... WOW. Givin our Offensive situation (it's not like our O played that much better today), Mathis' presence on special teams is really critical. This was definitely a break-out game for him as a returner. Hopefully, he'll be able to do this for us on a consistent basis, not just because of bad special teams from the Browns.

Texas
10-30-2005, 10:54 PM
Mathis has proved to alot of people that doubted him that he is good. All I heard at the beggining of the season was swinton and thomas this swinton and thomas that. Now I see most of you worshipping mathis. Check out the players before automatically judging them next time ;)

Cheroqui
10-31-2005, 03:59 AM
I knew he could help. I just want him and AJ on the field at the same time. Last time I mentioned putting him opposite of Andre for the spped threat and openings some said "he hasn't proven himself as a receiver yet", so I wondered how he would get the chance to if you don't get him out on the field? Now all we need to do is get the tight ends involved still trying the running game and see what happens. If Vick can win a game throwing to Crumpler all day, I'm sure we can win more just adding them in with all the rest of our options. You don't have to have an Antonio Gates or Jeremy Shockey to move the ball with in the TE position all of the time either.
Let's work!

rittenhouserobz
10-31-2005, 06:31 AM
If he stays a Texan(and I hope he does) he will not be a number one but he could probably be a pro bowl player alongside AJ. With those two out there, the defense will be too stretched.

Dare I say, with two legitimate WR's on the outside the Texan's might be able to use Gaffney the way he is supposed to be used. Like Stokely is used. Maybe a TE would be open in the middle more often. We have the RB. The big question mark is this. Can Carr read the defense fast enough to find the open man?

Texans Horror
10-31-2005, 06:40 AM
Dare I say, with two legitimate WR's on the outside the Texan's might be able to use Gaffney the way he is supposed to be used. Like Stokely is used. Maybe a TE would be open in the middle more often. We have the RB. The big question mark is this. Can Carr read the defense fast enough to find the open man?

Can the line hold anyone back? I still think the line looked sloppy. DD had to make things happen; the line wasn't opening holes. The pass protection was still bad, too. Not as bad as the past, but I'm willing to assume that's because of the Brown's D-line and not our O-line.

rittenhouserobz
10-31-2005, 06:52 AM
I forgot the Entire Browns DL is in Denver now. That is a big hit for the Browns defense.

TheOgre
10-31-2005, 12:00 PM
If we could only draft "steals" like this in the second and third rounds!!

I'd be happy if we got 2nd and 3rd round quality players out of those two rounds.

wags
10-31-2005, 12:02 PM
I'd be happy if we got 2nd and 3rd round quality players out of those two rounds.

I'd be happy if we didn't trade them away for a big weenie.

Texas_Thrill
10-31-2005, 12:10 PM
He's fast ooooh babyyyyyyyyyy!

He is the only thing that was positive about the draft. :texflag:

Coach C.
10-31-2005, 12:19 PM
Everyone on this board has hyped Mathis and finally he has started producing. He was slowed by injuries early, but now we are seeing the true talent of the small school star. It is ashame that most small schoolers get drafted late, but hell I will take a kid like Mathis anyday. Now we need AJ healty and Bradford gets to watch the games from now on. BTW did you see they played Armstrong and he caught every pass thrown at him except for that PI that was missed, that would have been ball on the one yard line. ******* Refs...

rafterticket
10-31-2005, 03:18 PM
After his play the last two weeks, the opposing teams will either kick a squibb kick or try to kick it away from him. He is too good for them to continue to kick the ball to.

bobby 119C

If our opponent tries to squib kick to one of the guys in front, that could still work in our favor for field position.

God bless Jerome Mathis - and Dunta and Domanick, too. Amen.

Bubbajwp
10-31-2005, 03:20 PM
Also trying to kick away from mathis increases the chance of the kicker kicking out of bounds

El Tejano
10-31-2005, 04:15 PM
I believe that Mathis had a great game and is definetly proving himself to be on this team as a contributor. Now whether he is consistent or not is something else. But I can tell you this, if he burns another DB for a long gain again, it will soften things up for the rest of the passing and running game later because people just aren't going to take that chance.

Consistency has been the thing with Bradford and why we haven't had a legitimate #2 deep threat. Bradford does still have the speed but he doesn't have the consistency. Mathis has to have that first before teams really start taking him serious offensively.

Now ST wise, this past Sunday he made a statement and put a bullseye on himself. He is just so fast that they miss though.

swtbound07
10-31-2005, 05:29 PM
people say that mathis is from a small school, but didnt a young man named jerry rice go to mississippi valley state university? the greatest ever came from podunk school, so why cant we have the next great thing. and i know from experience, the women at hampton are gorgeous, so at least jerome had that going for him

Gunbuny
10-31-2005, 05:54 PM
Now that we found our #2 receiver, can we please release all those other pretenders and go after some more real WR's? We are $6.3 million under the cap according to NFL Network and Ask the Commish.com. How about we spend that caish on some psycho who can protect DC's blindside. I am tired of seeing guys nail him. I am so glad we were able to get that 1st win. Now, I wanna see us come out of this with a new coach AND the winners of the Matt Leinhert Sweepstakes. We need that pick so we can parlay it into a few more picks this year and next yr. We need to get OL's to keep Carr alive. His durability has been tested enough.

NYSigma
10-31-2005, 06:13 PM
You guys are in for a real treat!! i had the pleasure of watching Mathis play in just about every game of his career! The guy is unreal....you will see!!!

NYSigma
10-31-2005, 06:17 PM

The reason he fell to the 4th round is because of this silly notion that only the big time programs have the big time players. The same ole small school can't have great players syndrome...it's ashame too because there are so many great players that don't even get looked at because they didn't go the Big School U!!!

Vinny
10-31-2005, 07:20 PM
The reason he fell to the 4th round is because of this silly notion that only the big time programs have the big time players. The same ole small school can't have great players syndrome...it's ashame too because there are so many great players that don't even get looked at because they didn't go the Big School U!!!Coming from a small school wasn't the only reason he wasn't slotted higher in the draft. He had questionable route running skills and equally questionable hands from everything I read about him before the draft. Steve McNair was the 3rd pick overall from Alcorn State, so if you have talent the NFL will find you and draft you according to how you grade out.

the wonger need food
10-31-2005, 07:37 PM
I remember reading that he had at least one off-the-field issue. A few months before the draft he was slated by some draft experts as a high 2nd round, possible 1st round pick.

Vinny
10-31-2005, 07:56 PM
I never saw him as high as first or second round grade...do you have a link for that?

the wonger need food
10-31-2005, 08:32 PM
I never saw him as high as first or second round grade...do you have a link for that?

Here are a few. If you Google "jerome mathis, draft" you will find several more mentioning him as a 1st/2nd round prospect. I couldn't find anything about his legal problems, I just remember reading it somewhere around draft time.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2005/prospects/jerome_mathis.html

http://fcsports.collegesports.com/sports/s-grid/content/030805aac.html

http://www.onnidan.com/bcsp/1136/stry11362.htm

Lucky
10-31-2005, 08:42 PM
I did see Kiper list him in the top 25 once (I think). I'm thinking that Jerome ran into some off the field problem between the combine & the draft. What that might have done to his draft stock, who knows? He's a fab talent, but still steak tar-tar as a WR.

the wonger need food
10-31-2005, 08:55 PM
Looks like it was just a couple of fights...

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/justice/3151528

nunusguy
11-01-2005, 01:38 PM
Sometimes I like to review a rookies standing in the "mock drafts" from earlier
in the year after we've got a ways into the regular season and the player has had an opportunity to establish himself. In reviewing Mathis's predicted finish in some of the mocks right before the April Draft, he's just about where a spectacular prospect with his credentials might be - definite first day pick
with some mocks predicting he'd go late in the first round. Only one thing wrong with that picture - we all know the reality is that we lucked out and found Mathis still on the Board in the 4th round ?

beerlover
11-01-2005, 01:52 PM
is that something like even a physically challenged squirrel can find a nut once in a while? as a small school prospect with raw tools thats what most people expect'ed 3rd/4th rd. his top attribute has always been his speed, I believe he ran a 4.3 in the combines which along with the post season Villages Gridiron Classic game brought him into scouts consiousness. now he officially had his coming out party its easy to second guess, but for everyone like him who succeeds there are two or three who do not.

rmartin65
11-01-2005, 03:24 PM
I read Mathis broke his jaw in a fight, but I could not find the link. But who cares, Mathis fell to the fourth and we got him!!!

Cheroqui
11-01-2005, 04:30 PM
Mathis has proved to alot of people that doubted him that he is good. All I heard at the beggining of the season was swinton and thomas this swinton and thomas that. Now I see most of you worshipping mathis. Check out the players before automatically judging them next time ;)

I still would have liked to keep Sloan Thomas around though. I'm just smiling like you now at all the people talking about Mathis now that didn't say anything or weren't ready to see him out there "yet". Told you!

What's up with being able to edit your own post on here anyway?

ArlingtonTexan
11-01-2005, 04:54 PM
What's up with being able to edit your own post on here anyway?

Some of us are just horrible typist. I have to edit anything over three lines just so you guys could read it.

MorKnolle
11-01-2005, 05:03 PM
Mathis ran a Combine-best 4.28 last year. I personally was hoping we'd draft him in the 3rd round because I figured he'd go then, although I wasn't disappointed with getting Morency because he is a solid RB, although we already have Domanick there. I was happy to see Mathis fall to us in the fourth round and can definitely say I still am happy we got him. He is a great returner and is quickly developing his WR skills.

swtbound07
11-01-2005, 05:53 PM
anybody else think the falcons are kicking themselves for drafting roddy white in the first round.....?

Vinny
11-01-2005, 06:19 PM
anybody else think the falcons are kicking themselves for drafting roddy white in the first round.....?Why? Rookie WR's rarely produce and no WR's produce in a Vick offense. From everything I've read they are happy with his skill set and has more talent than White or Finneran.

Scooter
11-02-2005, 06:33 AM
i've gotta admit, i had my doubts about mathis and figured he'd be just another track runner with average ability (bradford). after these past couple games ... will somebody save me a seat on the mathis bandwagon? from his first kickoff return, i was REALLY impressed with the way he ran with his eyes down the field and with how quick he took off ... plus he's stupid fast. i'm still a little hesitant on how well he'll do as a receiver because as someone else said, consistancy is something he's got to prove he's got. that said, i'm pleasantly suprised with how he's played so far as a wr ... despite not getting looked at but 4(?) times. here's hoping that he & armstrong get the opportunity to show everyone how good they really are.

i'll accept all of the "i told you so"'s that yall have ... looks like yall were dead on about him.

:texflag: