PDA

View Full Version : Seth Payne's team speech

nunusguy
10-26-2005, 01:55 PM
""With a guy like Seth, he doesn't talk a whole lot," Texans defensive end Travis Johnson said. "Those that do (speak regularly), what they say is just in one ear and out the other. But with Seth, he's been in the league. He's been on good teams and bad ones. So for him to stand up and talk to us about the season, that will hopefully do a lot.
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3416491

Double Barrel
10-26-2005, 02:23 PM
I've gotta' wonder what he said. As well as if it will make any difference.

If I was a gambling man, I'd venture a wager that it won't do a darn thing. Leadership starts with the head coach.

idonno:

SheTexan
10-26-2005, 02:30 PM
It's great that Seth had the courage to step up and try to light the fire, BUT, self motivation is just as important as being pushed by someone who makes a speech. That motivational speech will be worthless untill those guys decide they want to get out there and play as a team, put forth every effort they can on an individual basis, and bust their lazy butts to earn the salaries that they are getting paid for doing a lousy job! BUT, our players don't believe in themselves. In their minds they have already failed, so why try! I hope Seth's speech will help get that immature, sorry attitude out of their big arrogant heads! Each player needs to look inside his own heart and decide whether he wants to play for this team or not. If the answer is NO, then get the HE** out!! JMO!

Vinny
10-26-2005, 02:44 PM
With an offense beginning to look like a legitimate unit and some big plays from the special teams, the winds of change are stirring — no matter how solemn the Texans' locker room appears at this point.How can these Chronicle 'reporters' spew this from an offense that threw for 6 net yards?

nunusguy
10-26-2005, 02:45 PM
Seth got a sack Sunday, which I think makes #2 for the season and I'm
thinking that would lead the team for sacks. If so, pretty unusual for a 3-4
NT to be a teams sack leader. Anyway, when he made his speech, besides
knowing what he said it would be real interesting to know if the HC and his
assistants remained in the room while Seth was speaking ?

Double Barrel
10-26-2005, 02:46 PM
There are some telltale aspects of that article, especially the mention of how important veteran leadership is to a team. And, of course, the fact that the front office decided to jettison the defensive leadership in the off-season kind of proves the point, 'eh?

infantrycak
10-26-2005, 02:47 PM
Many people around here treat Seth like he is chopped liver and right now he is by far the best thing going we have on the DL.

Kaiser Toro
10-26-2005, 02:49 PM
It is about friggin time someone stepped up and started to be a leader on this team. :texflag:

Runner
10-26-2005, 02:49 PM
it would be real interesting to know if the HC and his
assistants remained in the room while Seth was speaking ?

I wondered that too. The coaches need to step up too; admit past mistakes and show some flexibility of thought. The status quo isn't good enough from the coaches either.

Blanketass
10-26-2005, 02:52 PM
Many people around here treat Seth like he is chopped liver and right now he is by far the best thing going we have on the DL.

him and Davis are our only bright spots. the D would be better if they weren't on the field for 40min. if the o line could pull together we might actullay win a game!!! man a the start of the season i was really happy with the way the D looked on paper. and i still think they are great, just the O needs to let them rest!
:texflag: :texflag: :texflag:

Texas
10-26-2005, 03:05 PM
This does make me curious of what he said but even more importantly than that, I want to see what affect it has on the team going into the game on Sunday.

El Tejano
10-26-2005, 03:07 PM
No joke yall, I was going to come in and ask if there was ever going to be a players only meeting. Glad to see someone step up. These are the kind of players we keep.

blockhead83
10-26-2005, 03:10 PM

I have to disagree there. Travis Johnson hasn't done much from what I've seen, but stats aside I've seen Robaire Smith in the opponents backfield causing havoc alot more often than Payne. He's stepped up this year IMO, and I wouldn't say that Payne is outperforming him "by far."

Double Barrel
10-26-2005, 03:25 PM
Glad to see someone step up. These are the kind of players we keep.

Which, of course, means he'll be gone next season.*

*if Coach Capers is still here

Kaiser Toro
10-26-2005, 03:31 PM
I have to disagree there. Travis Johnson hasn't done much from what I've seen, but stats aside I've seen Robaire Smith in the opponents backfield causing havoc alot more often than Payne. He's stepped up this year IMO, and I wouldn't say that Payne is outperforming him "by far."

Smith has played well this year. However, I am amazed at Payne's relentlessness in following the ball no matter where it is on the field. Dunta, Payne, Smith and Brown have been pretty good this year.

aj.
10-26-2005, 08:29 PM
This is a natural phase of a dying organization....the majority are searching for leaders and many are simply looking out for themselves.

profan
10-26-2005, 10:00 PM
How can these Chronicle 'reporters' spew this from an offense that threw for 6 net yards?
The offense i saw on sunday did not looked improved at all. Carr was sacked five times, had six completions, give me a break. Caper's said we had a balanced attack in the first half. Maybe this reporter just listened to dom and did not watch the game. Better take another look at your notes dom. This offense was anything but balanced.

HoustonFan
10-26-2005, 10:23 PM
Hopefully that did spark something for them and that we will see a positive result on Sunday in the form of a WIN.

I'd like to see them showing more emotion when someone blows a play. I mean damn, there are still 10 games left and I for damn sure would not being playing to lose out there. Hope that speech has them getting it together.

nunusguy
10-26-2005, 10:41 PM
This offense was anything but balanced.
Very true, but the rushing side of the O was really looking good in the first half. Now the second half was another story. But I got a chance to look at some tape of that first half, and I think we got a 5th round find in our rookie center. I'm anxious to see how he does against the Browns this Sunday.

Scooter
10-27-2005, 12:03 AM
quiet veteran defender, frustrated with the performance, one of only a couple guys actually out there playing, finally speaks out ... and at this time next year payne will be with the seahawks.

F-minus67
10-27-2005, 12:10 AM
Is anyone else suprised it took six losses for someone to speak up. I mean Payne is the best lineman we have on either side of the ball.

infantrycak
10-27-2005, 09:21 AM
stats aside I've seen Robaire Smith in the opponents backfield causing havoc alot more often than Payne. He's stepped up this year IMO, and I wouldn't say that Payne is outperforming him "by far."

IMO Smith is playing fine, but that is about it. Payne is playing like a very good 3-4 NT. Smith should be creating more havoc than Payne because he is at the DE position. He does take doubles some of the time, but Payne takes them virtually every single play--nonetheless, Payne has 2 sacks and Robaire has none. Folks really need to understand that the DE's really affect the LB play as well. If we had two 2002 Gary Walkers at DE with Payne in the middle, you would see Orr, Peek, Anderson getting to the QB with a great deal more frequency. Travis really needs to step up and start playing like that or this season is going to go down the drain---wait, oh never mind.

Runner
10-27-2005, 09:27 AM
McNair went to practice yesterday and gave a talk at a team meeting.

The Texans have also said they are closing practices to all non-essential people except for the media members who they have to let in.

People are getting serious, and it only took 0-6.

Kaiser Toro
10-27-2005, 09:31 AM
McNair went to practice yesterday and gave a talk at a team meeting.

The Texans have also said they are closing practices to all non-essential people except for the media members who they have to let in.

People are getting serious, and it only took 0-6.

That is waht I am talking about. Circle the wagons and call people out behind closed doors. What happens in the locker room, stays in the locker room.

I m looking forward to see what type of energy this controlled anger will provide on the field this Sunday.

Texans Horror
10-27-2005, 10:19 AM
The big question now is whether or not all the speeches, etc. will instill a determination to win in the Texans. Any ideas/theories?

TEXANS84
10-27-2005, 10:38 AM
The big question now is whether or not all the speeches, etc. will instill a determination to win in the Texans. Any ideas/theories?

Lets hope so.

Sometimes it takes someone (as in this case, Payne) to step up and bring some type of motivation outside of the coaches redundant speeches. You can almost relate it to your daily job for instance. You may not like your boss, but you still have a job. And if you don't necessarily like you boss, you may not be as motivated as you could be. So it takes someone that you work with to finally get you back on track and headed in the right direction.

beerlover
10-27-2005, 10:41 AM
You can almost relate it to your daily job for instance. You may not like your boss, but you still have a job. And if you don't necessarily like you boss, you may not be as motivated as you could be. So it takes someone that you work with to finally get you back on track and headed in the right direction.

or fear that you'll lose your job if you don't start performing :bomb:

Double Barrel
10-27-2005, 12:04 PM

This is a big question. And I certainly hope to see some fire on the field as a result.

However, that being said, I will not be surprised at all if the team comes out playing flat. I've said it before, but the team that I see on the field has quit this head coach, and you can see it on his face, too. The players are not buying what he's selling, IMO.

Bassinguy
10-27-2005, 11:02 PM
"Payne didn't plan exactly what he was going to say once Texans coach Dom Capers finished delivering a few words after Sunday's game. But as soon as he began talking, his team began listening."

Does that mean people weren't listening when Capers was talking?
They may have heard what he was saying, but not buying it. The coaching staff has lost the respect of the players IMO.