PDA

View Full Version : Haslett to Texans?

cuppacoffee
10-19-2005, 10:06 PM
FWIW This is from profootball.com rumor mill

"Based on discussions with multiple league sources over the past two days, we've concluded that Texans coach Dom Capers and Raiders coach Norv Turner will get the ax at the end of the season, if not sooner.

In Houston, Capers won't be joined in the government cheese line by Texans G.M. Charley Casserly. Casserly, we hear, has been working hard to keep his gig. Owner Bob McNair likes Casserly and will give him a chance to hire a new coach.

Although the Texans already have embarked on a discreet-but-extensive search for Capers' replacement, word is that the two early favorites are Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak and Saints head coach Jim Haslett. Titans coach Jeff Fisher is also in the mix, but the current thinking in league circles is that Fisher will be safe despite a second straight down year in Tennessee."

link (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm)

Thoughts anyone?
Lets hope the Budster is true to form. :D

cac: :coffee:

WWJD
10-19-2005, 10:13 PM
He hasn't been a winner so why would they want him? Poor choice.

I'll go with what others have said and express an interest in the Denver coordinator. I've heard high praise about him and they've actually had success.

But Haslett I'd pass on.

the wonger need food
10-19-2005, 10:15 PM
"the Texans already have embarked on a discreet-but-extensive search for Capers' replacement" and "if not sooner" are very encouraging statements.

blockhead83
10-19-2005, 10:16 PM
I've never been impressed with Haslett. I'd much rather see Kubiak take the reigns.

texanfan2002114
10-19-2005, 10:22 PM
No thanks on Haslett!! I would rather have Charlie Wiess of Notre Dame. He has won 3 super bowls and helped build an outstanding offense in New England.

ATX_Texan
10-19-2005, 10:29 PM
Saints have been an under achieving, mistake prone team under this guy. I don't want another recycled loser for the coach. Please let's take a chance on an up and coming coordinator, like Jerry Gray.

wenskek
10-19-2005, 10:37 PM
i have high hopes that we will offer the job to kubiak. :texflag:

OzzO
10-19-2005, 10:42 PM
bzzzzzt, I'm sorry the answer to "Jim Haslett" needs to be in the form of a question.

What coach does not seem better than the one we have and would cause some Texan fans to jump ship to alternate Texas teams?

D-ReK
10-19-2005, 10:43 PM
Just say no to Haslett...His teams have continually underperformed over the years...It's a miracle that he's lasted with the Saints this long...

keyfro
10-19-2005, 10:44 PM
like i've said time over and over again...i think the right choice right now is an offensive coach that can get this offense and carr on the right track...that's the bottom line...you got a franchise QB, WR, and RB that is struggling because of bad coaching...don't sign a coach that has a history of questionable offense or a d. coordinator that has never worked with the offense before...that's why gary kubiak is the leading canidate

jags98
10-19-2005, 10:50 PM
I would rather have Kubiak than Haslett. Just please dont take Mike Smith(our D coordinator) from us. :ok:

beerlover
10-19-2005, 10:56 PM
JERRY GRAY

Bassinguy
10-19-2005, 11:03 PM
FWIW This is from profootball.com rumor mill

"Based on discussions with multiple league sources over the past two days, we've concluded that Texans coach Dom Capers and Raiders coach Norv Turner will get the ax at the end of the season, if not sooner.

In Houston, Capers won't be joined in the government cheese line by Texans G.M. Charley Casserly. Casserly, we hear, has been working hard to keep his gig. Owner Bob McNair likes Casserly and will give him a chance to hire a new coach.

Although the Texans already have embarked on a discreet-but-extensive search for Capers' replacement, word is that the two early favorites are Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak and Saints head coach Jim Haslett. Titans coach Jeff Fisher is also in the mix, but the current thinking in league circles is that Fisher will be safe despite a second straight down year in Tennessee."

link (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm)

Thoughts anyone?
Lets hope the Budster is true to form. :D

cac: :coffee:
I'd take Kubiak over Haslett any time.

Bassinguy
10-19-2005, 11:06 PM
i have high hopes that we will offer the job to kubiak. :texflag:
You and about a million other Texans fans. I'd like to see an offensive coordinator here as a head coach. Especially one with Kubiak's credentials.

ArlingtonTexan
10-19-2005, 11:08 PM
Haslett is the very definition of mediocore. I would rather any unproven coach versus a guy who is always 8-8 plus or minus one game.

texanfan2002114
10-19-2005, 11:12 PM
JERRY GRAY

I don't think that McNair will have another defensive minded coach as his head coach.

D-ReK
10-19-2005, 11:13 PM
I'd take Kubiak over Haslett any time.

I'm not really that high on Kubiak after what a few Bronco fans have told me regarding him...Basically, they said that he hasn't done anything for their offense since the days of Terrell Davis and John Elway...Why do so many people think Kubiak is the right guy for the job?

texasguy346
10-19-2005, 11:33 PM
Haslett is the very definition of mediocore. I would rather any unproven coach versus a guy who is always 8-8 plus or minus one game.

I agree. I don't want to see Haslett as the HC of this team. He just doesn't seem to get much out of his teams.

SheTexan
10-20-2005, 12:06 AM
.Why do so many people think Kubiak is the right guy for the job?

Because he's the best of the two choices mentioned. Unfortunately, Casserly might survive the chopping block. Who knows though. Maybe GOOD GM's are hard to come by.

texan279
10-20-2005, 12:27 AM
I'm not really that high on Kubiak after what a few Bronco fans have told me regarding him...Basically, they said that he hasn't done anything for their offense since the days of Terrell Davis and John Elway...Why do so many people think Kubiak is the right guy for the job?

Because Kubiak has a track record of success everywhere he has been. Look at what he has done in Denver with an average QB, average RB, and average WR's this season. You say you are going on what Bronco fans said, would you listen to every fan on this board? Denver is 12th in the league in total offense this season, with Plummer at QB and really only one good WR, if that's "not doing anything with the offense" then what do you call our offensive performance this season?

wrestler4life
10-20-2005, 12:35 AM
Because Kubiak has a track record of success everywhere he has been. Look at what he has done in Denver with an average QB, average RB, and average WR's this season. You say you are going on what Bronco fans said, would you listen to every fan on this board? Denver is 12th in the league in total offense this season, with Plummer at QB and really only one good WR, if that's "not doing anything with the offense" then what do you call our offensive performance this season?

Yeah, but they have anything but an average line. I would LOVE to have their line, as I am sure that Carr would

texan279
10-20-2005, 12:41 AM
Yeah, but they have anything but an average line. I would LOVE to have their line, as I am sure that Carr would

They have a good C and LT, the rest of their line is solid, but not elite. The line play really has nothing to do with their WR's though.

eriadoc
10-20-2005, 12:45 AM
I'd be OK with Fisher, Kubiak, or Gray, in that order. I wouldn't be terribly excited about Haslett.

Hervoyel
10-20-2005, 12:49 AM
I'm thinking that if they go with an older more experienced coach I'd like them to try and talk Jimmy Johnson off of his boat.

If they pick up a coordinator from someone else then Gray from Buffalo or Kubiak from Denver would not upset me. I am sure there are other equally talented assistants out there that we aren't even talking about.

Finally if they hire a coach who gets fired this off season I'm all for Jeff Fisher. the Titans would be fools to let him go (and they won't so it's a moot point). I have no interest in Haslett.

texan279
10-20-2005, 12:51 AM
I'm thinking that if they go with an older more experienced coach I'd like them to try and talk Jimmy Johnson off of his boat.

If they pick up a coordinator from someone else then Gray from Buffalo or Kubiak from Denver would not upset me. I am sure there are other equally talented assistants out there that we aren't even talking about.

Finally if they hire a coach who gets fired this off season I'm all for Jeff Fisher. the Titans would be fools to let him go (and they won't so it's a moot point). I have no interest in Haslett.

All this talk about Jimmy Johnson but I just don't see him coaching in the NFL again. He's got his rings and now has his cush job. I don't see Fisher leaving either but if he gets canned we should definitely at least make a run at him.

done88
10-20-2005, 01:44 AM
Jeff Fisher sucks and just considering him is spitting in the fans face. He had his team quit before they left Houston. He would not play McNair. Instead we go to see bill joe. He said he did not want to get him hu and that the team around him was not good enough to protect him and the team quit. He does not have the charcter to coach a Houston team.

GO Astros

Hervoyel
10-20-2005, 01:58 AM
Jeff Fisher sucks and just considering him is spitting in the fans face. He had his team quit before they left Houston. He would not play McNair. Instead we go to see bill joe. He said he did not want to get him hu and that the team around him was not good enough to protect him and the team quit. He does not have the charcter to coach a Houston team.

GO Astros

I strongly disagree with you. Jeff Fisher is a coach who players play hard for. His team at the time the Oilers left Houston was a disaster that was coming off of 3-4 years of Run and Shoot pass protection and I don't find it even a little bit suspicious that he wouldn't play McNair. Everyone knew right up front that Steve McNair was too raw to be thrown in from day one. If they had you would now probably be able to say that you got to see two sack records set on Houston teams.

That team was long gone before their last season here ever started so don't take it so personal.

I'll take the Jeff Fisher method of QB development over the Dom Capers method any day of the week now that I've had a chance to see the results of both methods.

Grid
10-20-2005, 03:49 AM
Monte Kiffen

touttail
10-20-2005, 07:11 AM
search for Capers' replacement, word is that the two early favorites are Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak and Saints head coach Jim Haslett. :

Kubiak--------yes
Haslet--hellllllll nooooooo!
What has he done for the Saints??? They are still losers!

bobby 119C :brickwall

rittenhouserobz
10-20-2005, 07:23 AM
Monte Kiffin would be great. But would will help Carr and the offense succeed?

I want an offensive-minded HC and a solid DC. Right now a bag of marshmellows is harder than our run defense.

Texas_Thrill
10-20-2005, 08:52 AM
How DISCREET can they possibly be being if we are sitting here talking about it? They keep secrets like we win football games apparently.

hadaad
10-20-2005, 09:27 AM
I want Art Shell to get an honest chance somewhere. Why not here? He was one of the best linemen of all time.

Exascor
10-20-2005, 09:35 AM
Never hire a HC that was average with another team. Only strive for a coach with Superbowl wins or a young coordinator.

Thanks for your cooperation,

Bob Kraft
New England Patriots

Honestly, I'd rather have a different veteran coach (like Fisher, Billick or Johnson) or a fresh coordinator (like Kubiak, Gray or Kiffen) over Haslett as well. The reality is that sometimes situations other than the coach can cause teams to lose. Injuries, owner, GM, lack of talent and ALWAYS playing good can create a system of mediocrity. Is Haslett the victim of a bad situation? I don't know. I would rather not find out after 4 more years of garbage football.

I find it amazing that guys like Jimmy Johnson and Bill Belichick get reputations for being great coaches because they go to Superbowls but when the talent begins to leave (new team or injuries) they appear to be just like any other coach. What could Capers have done with the Cowboys or even the Bills teams of the 90's? Maybe nothing but I'll bet he'd look like a much better HC than he does after failing to succeed at building 2 expansion franchises. Talent makes coaches appear good. Lack of talent can make a coach look bad. Capers isn't as bad as he seems but still needs to go. Is Haslett as bad as he seems or does he just need a fresh start?

Stay tuned...

Vinny
10-20-2005, 10:20 AM
I want Art Shell to get an honest chance somewhere. Why not here? He was one of the best linemen of all time.So is Orlando Pace...why would Pace be a better coach than anyone else?

TexanExile
10-20-2005, 10:21 AM
Haslett can't even throw a tantrum right, much less coach. I understand he's endured a lot of adversity lately--I'm referring to the years of trying to fit Aaron Brooks' head into a helmet, not the hurricane--but I don't want the Texans to become a team that only plays the last 4 weeks of every season.

(Naturally, I'd kill for 4 weeks of effort from the Texans right now, but maybe next year.)

The coach candidate talk is fun speculation, but it's completely random right now. There's no telling who will be looking for work at the end of this season. The good news is that Houston's set itself up to offer a HC position that offers brand-new facilities, a deep-pockets owner, good cost of living, a Teflon GM, and apparently oceans of patience for lame excuses about losing. Sounds like a plum job to me!

HardCoreTxn
10-20-2005, 10:33 AM

GO Astros

You have got to be kidding me!!! the team quit on Bud Adams NOT Jeff, Jeff is the one of the top 5 coaches in this league, if there is any chance in Hell we can get him back here, Bob would be a fool not to grab him up!!

HardCoreTxn
10-20-2005, 10:41 AM
Jeff Fisher (hc), Kubiak (oc/qbc), Wade Phillips (dc), Carl Mauck (olc)
Bob would have to dig deep in his pockets, but would be nice :drool:

Coach C.
10-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Hardcore come on kid. Fisher is safe and is likely going to go the route of Cowher with the Titans. The Titans organization believe in him and as long as there personel guy keeps swindling guys like Casserly out of picks they will be just fine. They are probably going to even get another big time player in this years draft that will be the future of that team. Plus they have Volek who is perfect trade bait.

Kubiak HC, Dennison OC/OLC, Jon Hoke DC, Westhoff STC

HardCoreTxn
10-20-2005, 12:06 PM
Hardcore come on kid. Fisher is safe and is likely going to go the route of Cowher with the Titans. The Titans organization believe in him and as long as there personel guy keeps swindling guys like Casserly out of picks they will be just fine. They are probably going to even get another big time player in this years draft that will be the future of that team. Plus they have Volek who is perfect trade bait.

Kubiak HC, Dennison OC/OLC, Jon Hoke DC, Westhoff STC

I agree Coach, I dont think Bud will ever let Fisher go, Im just saying if Fisher was to become avalible, Bob would be crazy not to make him an offer and try to get him

Coach C.
10-20-2005, 12:17 PM
You are right if Fisher was available he would likely garner top billing from every organization needing a coach. He refuses to quit and his team plays the same way. Never have to worry about execution if you just make the bad things work.

Coach C.
10-20-2005, 12:28 PM
Big Texan I have posted some possible running mates for Kubiak in other posts but I will post them here for you also. Look for him to hire guys like Dennison who is the OLC at Denver and an Alex Gibbs protege' or a guy like Brian Shottenheimer or other QB coach. He may go the route of the young college head coach for OC but I doubt it. I am currently petitioning to keep Jon Hoke on as DC cause I feel him with Kubiak's style of offense would have us purring on all cylinders. We still would need to do something with Casserly though.

Porky
10-20-2005, 12:49 PM

GO Astros

Dude, your clueless. I am not going to waste keystrokes on that nonsense. Nuff said.

As to the question at hand, I don't want Haslett. I would be rather upset if it is Haslett. Kubiak gets a big thumbs up from me. I also like Jerry Gray, but I am leaning toward on offensive mind this time. The one major exception is Fisher. If he somehow became available, I would be on him like fly's on manure. :texflag:

Coach C.
10-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Dude, your clueless. I am not going to waste keystrokes on that nonsense. Nuff said.

As to the question at hand, I don't want Haslett. I would be rather upset if it is Haslett. Kubiak gets a big thumbs up from me. I also like Jerry Gray, but I am leaning toward on offensive mind this time. The one major exception is Fisher. If he somehow became available, I would be on him like fly's on manure. :texflag:

Porky so would about 8 other teams. I doubt he would come here when he could go somewere else with more talent. Like the Vikings.

Grid
10-20-2005, 01:54 PM
I dont think a good coach is someone that makes players play above their potential.. I think a great coach is someone who makes players play TO their potential.

What that means is.. a coach like Capers can have Aikman, Moss, Rice, Payton, the colts Oline, basicly.. just give him a hall of famer dream team.. and they will go 8-8. While a coach like Bellichick can take good players and make them play like good players.

That is why when you see talent leaving a team, and suddenly the awesome HC doesnt seem so awesome.. its not because that one player or two were the only thing keeping his team winning.. not really anyway.. it just means that he lost a talented player. That player may go somewhere else and play half as well because the coach doesnt know how to use him.

Exascor
10-20-2005, 02:45 PM
I dont think a good coach is someone that makes players play above their potential.. I think a great coach is someone who makes players play TO their potential.

What that means is.. a coach like Capers can have Aikman, Moss, Rice, Payton, the colts Oline, basicly.. just give him a hall of famer dream team.. and they will go 8-8. While a coach like Bellichick can take good players and make them play like good players.Or a coach like Capers can take a team like the Panthers to a 12-4 record and a trip to the conference championship.

Let's not go overboard here. Capers failed this year. That's no doubt. To say he wouldn't succeed with the talent you're refering to is like saying that Barry Switzer couldn't win a Superbowl if given a good team. Capers isn't that bad. The whole organization has failed this season. Capers gets the bulk of the blame for sure but no need to make him sound like the worst coach ever. He's not a great coach and it's time for him to move on but let's keep it realistic here.

done88
10-20-2005, 03:35 PM

Apperantly you guys were not there watching the Oilers. They could have been a very solid team the last year in Houston but they kept the solid starters on the bench. Bud had not recieved the complete approval to leave. He was trying to spin it that the fans would not support the team and literally blew every game they played all the way down to playing third down defensive lineman for Ray Childeress. Fischer quit on Houston and you guys are short sighted if you can't see that. As for you key strokes you stick those where ever you would like. I knew more about football and Houston Teams by the time I was 10 as you will ever know. :challenge

El Tejano
10-20-2005, 03:45 PM
How much of Kubiaks success is not from Mike Shanahan and how much is?

I want a HEAD COACH. Not a coordinator (although if we are going that route Kubiak is the wise choice) But I want Fisher. Everytime I see a coach Fisher led team, I see a players coach where the players give their all for that coach. I also see a team that executes to an extreme. Rember when Eddie George played, they would basically point to the side they were running and made you stop it. They executed very well. The real reason I want him though is because I remember how he made a 1-15 Oilers team turnaround into a Super Bowl team in less than 4 years. He has an eye for talent. Certainly guys like Reggie Swinton, or Sloan Thomas would not have been cut on a Jeff Fisher team.

thunderkyss
10-20-2005, 06:14 PM
I loved that Carolina team that Capers took to the NFC championship game, and watcing the Texans Offense last year, was..........well let's just say I had no problem saying I'm a Texan.
I have no doubts about Dom's coaching ability. Somethings gone wrong here in Houston...I have no clue what it is, it seems like so many things. But looking at the play from the offensive line, and the decision to axe the offensive coordinator, and promote the offensive line coach........It doesn't compute......doesn't make sense.

Then you've got a team with no real back-ups at any position, so you fire the coach, and go play golf with the GM.......WTH??

Blanketass
10-20-2005, 06:24 PM
No thanks on Haslett!! I would rather have Charlie Wiess of Notre Dame. He has won 3 super bowls and helped build an outstanding offense in New England.

How about the golden domers, they look really good with him at the helm!!!! I would like to the OC from the broncos, i've heard alot of good thinks about him, and the way the o-line is going a guy with a solid running game under his belt would be nice for DD!
:texans: :texflag: :texans:

rmartin65
10-20-2005, 06:34 PM
I want a coach that is a winner.