PDA

View Full Version : Left Tackle: Select One.

Blake
10-17-2005, 04:18 PM
You have the #1 pick, and have decided to stay put and select the best LT on the board.

Here are your choices.
http://www.houstonprofootball.com/draft/2006/prospects/images/PICTURE_fergusond.gifhttp://www.houstonprofootball.com/draft/2006/prospects/images/PICTURE_winstone.gifhttp://www.houstonprofootball.com/draft/2006/prospects/images/PICTURE_scottj.gifhttp://www.houstonprofootball.com/draft/2006/prospects/images/PICTURE_whitwortha.gifhttp://www.houstonprofootball.com/draft/2006/prospects/images/PICTURE_mcneillm.gif
*Others will be able to see your votes*

TexansCanes
10-17-2005, 04:21 PM
are we suppose to post our votes or it this suppose to be a poll!

wouldn't take any of the LTs number one but i'll take Marcus McNeill.

WildBlackBear32
10-17-2005, 04:22 PM
I also wouldnt take any LTs #1, but I think D'Brick has the best VALUE for the pick.

Blake
10-17-2005, 04:25 PM
I went with Eric Winston. Im starting to feel like he will be the best at the end of the year. I also am wondering how D'Brick will do when he adds on 15 more pounds, and how he bouces back from his knee problem.

WildBlackBear32
10-17-2005, 04:27 PM
I went with Eric Winston. Im starting to feel like he will be the best at the end of the year. I also am wondering how D'Brick will do when he adds on 15 more pounds, and how he bouces back from his knee problem.

He certainly cant bounce back any worse than Winston has.

D-ReK
10-17-2005, 04:32 PM
None of these OTs are worth the 1st overall pick, but Ferguson is the best of them...I was a huge Winston supporter, but he has really disappointed me this year...Scott would be a good trade down option if we were to drop out of the top 10, and Whitworth would be a good option if we somehow end up with a pick in the 20-30 range...McNeill will be nothing more than a RT in the pros...

Blake
10-17-2005, 04:34 PM
He certainly cant bounce back any worse than Winston has.

Winston tore his ACL. Brick only sprained his knee. But point taken.

nunusguy
10-17-2005, 04:51 PM
I dunno....I saw the Miami-FSU game on TV and Winston was not at all impressive. He did not look that athletic and actually had a waddling type gait when he was running down field. Worse of all, saw him get beat multiple times trying to protect the QB on passing plays.

TexansCanes
10-17-2005, 04:59 PM
I dunno....I saw the Miami-FSU game on TV and Winston was not at all impressive. He did not look that athletic and actually had a waddling type gait when he was running down field. Worse of all, saw him get beat multiple times trying to protect the QB on passing plays.

winston did tear his acl less than a year earlier, so he might need a little more time to get back to 100%, if he can. also he was going up against wimbley, one of the better pass rushers in the country.

i feel bad, i forgot about my man whitworth. can i change my vote?

in all honesty none of these guys have really had a great year, except for maybe scott (havn't really watched a UT game).

Blake
10-17-2005, 05:01 PM
winston did tear his acl less than a year earlier, so he need a little more time to get back to 100%, if he can. also he was going up against wimbley, one of the better pass rushers in the country.

Agreed. FSU's D-line is the best in the nation overall. Something like 10-12 sacks.

beerlover
10-17-2005, 06:12 PM

I'm going back downstairs to watch the USC vs. ND game again just to make sure I didn't miss anything or anyone.........but remember Miami-FSU was @ the beginning of the year and yes Winston did look stiff and seemed to have limited mobility from side to side. but he is gaining his agility, timing and strength back since then and now looks closer to his pre-injury form. he still has the best hand punch I've seen and if he continues to improve could be the top tackle taken. although I love D'Brick's upside if the Texans go LT they need help now not latter therefore Winston may be the logical choice.

beerlover
10-17-2005, 06:18 PM
Agreed. FSU's D-line is the best in the nation overall. Something like 10-12 sacks.

FSU was healthy that game, the last game (Virginia) their best pass rushing end was injured, DBrickashaw played only half the game (I assume this was planned coming back from his injury) and he had help blocking on the edge. but for what it's worth the so called experts rank D'Brick #1 McNeill #2 & Winston #3 :cool:

Nawzer
10-17-2005, 06:49 PM
It's got to start inside out for us, specially when it comes to our pathetic offense. We have to draft someone who will provide some sort of protection for David Carr. Once again Carr showed yesterday that he can be a good player if given some decent amount of protection. Even though starting a rookie LT no matter how talented is always risky we have no other choice and one of those guys above is certainly better than any otgher option we have right now.

Bubbajwp
10-17-2005, 08:04 PM
GARGANTUAN compared to the rest.

Fldvldog
10-18-2005, 12:58 PM
None of these OTs are worth the 1st overall pick, but Ferguson is the best of them...

I have to disagree with you on this one. Ferguson is worth a no.1 overall pick. Did you see him against FSU? Nobody even came close to the QB. He's shown it on numerous games this season. He is the most athletic OT in college football, and arguably, the soon-to-be most athletic OT ever drafted. Yes, he is the most hyped OT since Gallery, but, IMO, the hype is real.

When the texans have the no.1 overall pick, they would be plain out stupid not to take him.

BuffSoldier
10-18-2005, 08:34 PM
Go get Ferguson for Houston Texans football

Wolf
10-18-2005, 08:45 PM
I don't follow the OL much.. I am curious on how y'all would rate the tackles or better yet how much difference in talent/skill is there between saw a Ferguson and a Johnathon Scott for example..

Reason I ask..Say the Texans get the overall pick and we are looking to trade down and gain a pick or two... If we traded to #10 and gained a first for next year and say a 2nd or 3rd (I can't remember what the giants/Sd trade did) this year ... would it be that much of a dropoff in skill for a tackle?

Hypothetically speaking..Being Ferguson might not be there at 10 and say Scott or winston would.

I am not asking for who the Texan need or want, but wondering talentwise between the different players coming out.

YoungTexanFan
10-18-2005, 10:14 PM
d'brick is currently the top. quick feet and fast hands but he has a problem keeping his weight on. finished last year at around 260...not good for a NFL LT. potential to nuetralize speed rushers.

mcneal is projected as a RT, to me seems like a younger wade. great extension with the hands but overall not very athletic.

winston is still recovering from ACL surgery but was rated the #1 OT before the injury. his upper body strength is amazing and i believe he ran a 4.7 pre injury. should he recover fully he will give d'brick a run for his money for top LT taken.

justice protects lienert. he is very solid but an underclassmen.

witworth is also solid but consisent, and a good person in the comunity. withworth should be available in the second round in the draft.

scott is less talked about and should slide to the second round. i believe right now he is towards the bottem of the pack in rankings but has looked towards the top on the field.

all in all the talent drop is not extreme from guy to guy, but d'brick is much better than scott. also if you are trying to consider potential and projections you should be looking at one of two guys: d'brick and eric winston. i feel both will turn out to be all pro's and anchors on their respective lines.

you should not pass on a top tier LT in the first round just because someone who would have gone in the first round last year is in the second. this year has a stong class and we should be getting the pick of the litter even after a trade down from the top spot.

my pick: d'brick or winston....depending on how they progres and recover.

Youngstown Colt
10-18-2005, 11:05 PM
I have to disagree with you on this one. Ferguson is worth a no.1 overall pick. Did you see him against FSU? Nobody even came close to the QB. He's shown it on numerous games this season. He is the most athletic OT in college football, and arguably, the soon-to-be most athletic OT ever drafted. Yes, he is the most hyped OT since Gallery, but, IMO, the hype is real.

When the texans have the no.1 overall pick, they would be plain out stupid not to take him.Numerous games? He's barely played enough games to even call them numerous.

The hype is NOT real with this guy. He'll be a possible solid tackle, but nothing more in the NFL. Most athletic ever drafted? That's an insult to a player like Anthony Munoz who had supreme footwork. And there's not much more to being a LT than footwork and upper body strength.

rmartin65
10-19-2005, 09:10 AM
I think Dbrick will be good.

Johnny Utah
10-20-2005, 09:39 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=2197305&CMP=ILC-INHEAD

Since we are not allowed to post an article from ESPN Insider I'll give a rundown on what this guy has to say about the OT draft class this season. He says it is pretty much a disappointment, and only Ferguson and Winston have 1st round grades now.

Ferguson top 5 pick
Winston top 15 pick
Marcus McNeil may slip into the bottom of the 1st round as a RT.

McShay also says that a LT underclassman to keep an eye on is Joe Thomas out of Wisconsin. If he decides to come out he thinks he would be drafted in the 1st round in between Ferguson and Winston.

How would you guys feel if the Texans traded down a few spots in the 1st to get Ferguson and then select Marcus McNeil with our 2nd pick? Those would be two huge OT to solidify the line right there.

Coach C.
10-20-2005, 10:13 AM
Personally having watched both players extensively last season and this one. We have seen two things. Winston is definately the better NFL OT. Both of these guys walked onto their respective campuses as TE prospects, but have started at LT due to their ability. This also shows that both are excellent athletes. Winston is the type of tackle that Orlando Pace is whereas Ferguson is more of a Walter Jones kind of guy. It depends on your preference. Ferguson is a little faster, with better handwork. Winston is stronger with better footwork. I like Winston alot better than Ferguson and I think if we do get a top pick such as we should trade down a little grab an extra pick take Winston around 4 or 5 overall we will be solid at LT for years. He will be fully recovered from his Knee Injury barring any setbacks by the beginning of next season. Also Ferguson is getting over injuries, and he will be injury prone in the NFL due to his size and inability to keep on mass.

BuffSoldier
10-22-2005, 02:20 PM
Personally having watched both players extensively last season and this one. We have seen two things. Winston is definately the better NFL OT. Both of these guys walked onto their respective campuses as TE prospects, but have started at LT due to their ability. This also shows that both are excellent athletes. Winston is the type of tackle that Orlando Pace is whereas Ferguson is more of a Walter Jones kind of guy. It depends on your preference. Ferguson is a little faster, with better handwork. Winston is stronger with better footwork. I like Winston alot better than Ferguson and I think if we do get a top pick such as we should trade down a little grab an extra pick take Winston around 4 or 5 overall we will be solid at LT for years. He will be fully recovered from his Knee Injury barring any setbacks by the beginning of next season. Also Ferguson is getting over injuries, and he will be injury prone in the NFL due to his size and inability to keep on mass.

Stroner?? probably so, but I dont think taht anyone in the nation has better footwork than Ferguson.

beerlover
11-12-2005, 01:05 AM
its time to really focus on the Texans 1st rd pick of 06. since its agreed the overall top priority is getting one of those elite tackles and the Texans are in position to draft high enough to select a top elite LT don't y'all think we should try and catch the last three games of the season for D'Brickashaw Ferguson? then compare notes. what a good test to evaluate his skill sets and pro potential. Get this his last three games are Nov 12 (24) Georgia Tech 3:30 pm. Nov 19 (8) Virginia Tech 12:00 pm. & Sat, Nov 26 at (3) Miami (FL) TBA. remember how he plays so when the combines start and they all have their pro day workouts all the information = Texans #1 pick in the 2006 NFL DRAFT :yahoo:

rmartin65
11-12-2005, 09:08 AM
Dbrick has great footwork.

YoungTexanFan
11-12-2005, 09:12 AM
Dbrick has great footwork.

not just good, but the best. he has the best footwork in quite a while.

beerlover
11-12-2005, 11:17 AM
http://www.thesabre.com/edge/images/brick_ferguson005b.jpg

D'Brickashaw Ferguson has excellent form and it all starts with his wide base, he creates area, and speed/technique rushers cannot move in this much space to effectivly get around this area he creates. if they try to bull rush him, going straight at him he keeps them from getting to his body with his long arms/reach. he just will need more time to develop and grow into his athletic, rangey frame :)

threetoedpete
11-12-2005, 11:48 AM
Thought about this for awhile befor I posted, and I realize it is still early, but my great GM move is to take the Hawk if we are fortunate enough to get in a postion where folks are offering a trade down of a few picks to get Bush.
I was dead wrong about Mike Williams. I could be dead wrong about Scott. Got to wonder how much VY's mobility aids in his stats. However, I saw him pancake one guy and get up to block two more on the Jammal Charles running play that broke open the Oklahoma game. The guy can flat out block. And we are primarly a running team. Whether or not he is an improvement over Pitts I do not know for sure at this point. After the USC game we will know a little better. If we ended up with A.J. Hawk, he would go to Babbin's end , Babin goes to the middle. May be Babbin could have better luck there. Pressure up the middle is the one thing that unnerves Manning. Ferguson is the lock no doubt. But if we ended up with a couple of high picks in the barter, moving back into the first should be no problem. JMHO.