PDA

View Full Version : ESPN 2k5 First Look Thread

God of Wine
07-20-2004, 11:08 PM
Comes out July 21st....But some people have it already. What gives? I am ready to pick up tomorrow. Anyway hope to improve from 2k4, still can't stop anybody....with the Texans anyway. Hope they make the Texans stronger in 2k5.

ESPN 2K5 (http://www.espnvideogames.com/)

TheTim5125
07-22-2004, 02:08 PM
In the new ESPN NFL 2k5 the roof in Reliant is open and closed depending on the weather..... frikin amazing

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
07-22-2004, 03:56 PM
i just bought my copy a couple minutes ago. this game is amazing.

hot4SteveMcNair
07-22-2004, 04:05 PM
Did everyone else get it REALLY cheap? Me and the hubby got it yesterday at Circuit CIty for only $19.99. I about PMP cause I couldn't believe it. I had bought him 2K4 last year for his b-day and paid $49.99 and that was several months after it came out.

I just wondered if it was just a error on CC's part in my area or what. Regardless, we snatched it up and got to the register REAL quick.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
07-22-2004, 04:14 PM
19.98 at Game Stop. :)

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
07-22-2004, 04:24 PM
i heard this was the last year EA Sports will be making the Madden game. anyone know who will be doing it after that?

texan279
07-22-2004, 04:28 PM
For $20 I am on my way out the door now. I guess I will have Madden and NFL 2K5 now...

HoustonTexansAreTheBest
07-22-2004, 04:29 PM
Hmmm.....want to provide a link on where you heard EA Sports is going to stop making Madden? I highly doubt it.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
07-22-2004, 04:35 PM
Hmmm.....want to provide a link on where you heard EA Sports is going to stop making Madden? I highly doubt it.
nope, no link. just heard it through word of mouth. he said Madden's contract is up with EA Sports and that since they pay so much overhead to Madden for his name they hardly break even, even though they outsell every other football game. they will call it EA Sports Football next year. he also said that Sega will still be offering their sports titles or $20. take it for what its worth. idonno:

gwallaia
07-22-2004, 04:40 PM
All video games should be $20.

Beastlyman2003
07-22-2004, 04:48 PM
HELL YES! Im with gwallaia! Thats an excellent idea. Take a hint EA Sports!

swisher
07-22-2004, 06:35 PM
First thoughts after playing 2K5 for about an hour. I usually buy Madden but thought I'd give 2K5 a shot:

Gripes:

First of all, of all the logos they had to screw up they screw up the Texans. The logo is accurate on the uniforms and on the field (although it looks too small on the field), but on the menus and the graphics they have the logo with a thin white outline around it rather than the thick white outline which causes there to be a gap between the red and blue parts...annoying more than anything. I'm pretty picky when it comes to those things, but I think they could at least get that right.

Reliant looks fine everywhere but the roof. It's open or closed according to wheather but when its open it still has the beams going across. Imagine rather than retracting the roof they just ripped of the white "canvas" part and thats what it looks like. Don't know if that was just an easy way to do it but it looks wrong.

They still have Coleman playing Cornerback. And to make it worse I have yet to figure out how to change his position to safety. The only options are Mcree and Earl at Safety.

For some reason they have J.J. Moses too high on the depth chart...I was a little surprised when the first pass I completed was to my kick returner. That can be changed so I wasn't as upset about that.

In franchise mode the in week training that ESPN hyped seems a little tedious.

Chris Berman looks scarier on the game than he does on tv. What is it with computer animated people that gives me the creeps?

Pros:

You can choose the red uniform...and they decided that the white helmet was somehow a throwback because you can use it too. But as far as I can tell you cannot use a red jersey with blue pants.

The game play seems good. This, of coarse, is the most important thing. I need to play it more to make a final judgement on that. Although the kicking meter arrow is ticking me off. The defense seems easier than Madden which is a plus.

These a just my first few impressions. I was pretty excited about it after the price went down to 20 bucks and decided to go ahead and try it. Its no better than Madden though.

I had decided that I would not buy Madden this year, but I think I'm going to go ahead and get it too.

RTP2110
07-22-2004, 07:00 PM
It's annoying that you cant change a guys position. So Pitts is stuck at Tackle and Coleman at CB. Some of the ratings are way off too. Example J.J. Moses has a higher strength rating than Andre Johnson, and Johnathan Wells has a faster speed rating than Domanick Davis and Tony Hollings. Huh!?

kbourda
07-22-2004, 07:13 PM
I think you can edit the positions but i'm not 100% on that though. I was a Madden player too. This game is unreal. From the presentation to the gameplay is simply great. I'm loving it. I have yet to win a game on All-Pro. The Pro (default) level is too easy. The only thing i'm trying to do now is trying to get my PS2 to take advantage of the Dolby Digital 5.1 sound. I have a 6.1 system and I tried to get it to go to DD but it only went to Pro Logic II (which I have as well). So that's my only gripe so far. So if anyone knows how to get it to 5.1 let me know. I never thought I would have so much fun not being able to win.

swisher
07-22-2004, 08:32 PM
I'm starting to like it a little more. The halftime highlights are awesome!! Still don't have the passing touch down yet, I keep throwing it too hard and Johnson drops them.

I like how putting pressure on the QB really effects his throw. That's more realistic than Madden.

swisher
07-22-2004, 08:54 PM
ok, I've never seen this in a football video game. In week two the Texans tied the Lions 0-0. I suck.

swisher
07-23-2004, 12:21 AM
another weird thing...after week four the Lions traded Roy Williams to the Seahawks...WTF?!

This game has some really cool features, but then it just has some stupid mistakes and weird things like that. And those beams on Reliant make no sense. They cast a criss cross shadow across the field. Strange.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
07-23-2004, 12:40 AM
the ratings threw me off too. oh well, for 20 bucks its still a great game to buy.

Blake
07-23-2004, 11:13 AM
Dont freak out about the player ratings just yet. They came out with the game early. Its 20 bucks, and you can download new ratings and rosters online when the season starts.

I played only a few hours last night. They have made it harder to intercept a pass. They upgraded the physics in this game, so you cant be running full speed, stop instantly, and turn around to grab the ball.

The VIP thing is really cool. When you play enough games online, other people can play against your VIP.

Games to get in order:
ESPN 2k5: Damn well worth $20.
NCAA 2005: Fun game. The crowd noise makes you feel like you are there.
Madden: IMO still not worth $50. Of course Ive always been an Sega sports guy.

Blake
07-23-2004, 11:21 AM
Make sure you are letting your receivers go out far enough, and dont bullet the pass. Loft it.

Beastlyman2003
07-23-2004, 11:45 AM
Seriously, are you guys saying that ESPN 2K5 is gonna be better than MADDEN 2005? Have yall seen the graphics for Madden? Now honestly, the only people that have said it was good where the "sega fanatics". So honestly is it THAT good? I have an open mind and ill probably buy it but i really want to know how good it is. And the main reason i didnt like the old NFL 2K series was because of the graphics and the way every player seemed SO tall and skinny. Has that changed to be more proportionate?

Blake
07-23-2004, 11:50 AM
What difficulty do you have it on? All-Pro is the best one. Pro to learn on. There is no way any RB should be going through 2 players. I believe thats one of the things they worked on at Sega.

Blake
07-23-2004, 11:55 AM
And the main reason i didnt like the old NFL 2K series was because of the graphics and the way every player seemed SO tall and skinny. Has that changed to be more proportionate?

And you think Madden's short stubby players look more correct? Give me a break. NCAA is the only EA game I would buy, just because its College.

If madden is your game, then madden is your game. But just dont come insult us by saying we dont know what we are talking about just because we like Sega over EA.

Beastlyman2003
07-23-2004, 12:06 PM
And you think Madden's short stubby players look more correct? Give me a break. NCAA is the only EA game I would buy, just because its College.

If madden is your game, then madden is your game. But just dont come insult us by saying we dont know what we are talking about just because we like Sega over EA.
WTF are you babbling about? Did you read the rest?
"So honestly is it THAT good? I have an open mind and ill probably buy it but i really want to know how good it is." That was my statement before the part you quoted! I was asking to get a better feel for what was different about it. And Where is there an insult? If me questioning the game was enough to hurt your feelings, then i dont know how you make it in the world. SO how bout you actually answer the question now?

Blake
07-23-2004, 12:31 PM
Has that changed to be more proportionate?

It depends on what you think is proportionate. Everyone see's it different.

Beastlyman2003
07-23-2004, 12:45 PM
OK so is it fun? is the gameplay realistic? OOH, is there cpu initiated trades? how do the players look on the field? I just kinda want an unbiased opinion. Cuz i actually want to buy it. BUT, im still gonna buy Madden 2005.:ninja:

Beastlyman2003
07-23-2004, 12:53 PM
So V, whats the deal with the looks and graphics? How do the players look? and are there CPU initiated trades?

Beastlyman2003
07-23-2004, 12:54 PM
Sorry, i just think that the whole cpu trades are bad@$$! Does it have them on Franchise mode?

Beastlyman2003
07-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Madden 2005 comes out on August 8th. And V(you sound like you know alot about ESPN2K5) so can you edit a players position and ratings? Cuz i heard theyre FUBAR. And can you tell me how they have Dunta and Babin rated? And how is Domanicks ratings?

kbourda
07-23-2004, 02:14 PM
I'm starting to get the hang of the game. My passing is much improved. I like the fact that the Texans have a Flea-Flicker in their playbook (first modern video game i've seen with that play). 2K5 is real, and I mean real, football. All-Pro is tough I won my first two games today on that level upping my VIP record to 2-10.

SBTexans08
07-23-2004, 03:23 PM
Yep...I've been a HUGE Madden fan thus far and I was compeletely hyped yet very skeptical about this year's ESPN but boy is this a great game!! I've always like how the player models looked compared to previous elongated ESPN's but that has been addressed. ESPN 2K5 boasts the best graphics and player models in a football game thus far and the fluid movement couldn't be more real like.

Everything from the franchise mode, Gamecast Live, Gamecast, Weekly Prep, VIP, to the gameplay....every aspect damnit is just so precise. As __V__ said...pressure builds up on the QB so you had better make your reads quick...just as in the real game. QB's in ESPN need to have balance as well to be able to make the best of throws much like their real life counterparts.

To the guy who's been a Maddener, get ESPN...it'll be hard to get used to but you said you have an open mind on the subject so just get it and forget about Madden in it's entirety. Forget that you have ever played a football video game in your life...just start the game up with the knowledge you possess as a football fan and go from there. You have a long road ahead of you in terms of learning just how the game plays but you'll get it before you know it. I'm a huge Madden fan because well, I can't put my finger on it but Madden has always just felt right...don't know what it is but Madden always gets the nod. You need to look at ESPN as a real-sim...in terms of simulation...ESPN leaves Madden in the dust. Madden might have more of a fun factor but ESPN 2K5 is right on the money.

I must warn you, I have only 2 days playing the game, that you are going to get frustrated but you'll come to find out that ESPN 2K5 is the game that makes justic for the NFL logo on the game. I can't wait till Madden is out, don't get me wrong. I want to try all the new defensive playmaker abilities that the game will offer as they seem to only make the game better. Real-like sim, count on ESPN 2K5. Semi-sim (tentative on whether they fixed some exaggerations in gameplay) but tons of fun, count on Madden. Last but not least....$20, need I say more??

swisher
07-23-2004, 03:39 PM
This is from a Madden guy playing ESPN for the first time:

The graphics are great. The players look real. You have to get rid of the ball which at first is frustrating when you are trying to recognize your routes. Even if you wait too long and still get the pass off the pressure will force the QB to throw a bad pass.

After a day of playing I would give it a A-. The minus for the little things wrong with the Texans logo...you can not change a players position...and Reliant's roof. Game play, especially defense is pretty sound.

And for $20....

Beastlyman2003
07-23-2004, 03:44 PM
Thanx guys!

Beastlyman2003
07-23-2004, 04:04 PM
Hey _V_, what are "slidders". I have no clue, but that Maximum passing thing where you can lead your WR sound BAD@$$!!!

tacoman_j
07-23-2004, 04:52 PM
how the running game this year V? is it still very easy. In addition, is the pursuit and tackling better than last year. I still have last year's game, and it's very frustrating when the computer's back breaks 6 to 7 tackles and takes it to the house. That doesn't happen in madden.

SBTexans08
07-23-2004, 05:02 PM
That has totally been fixed on ESPN...like it never existed....but don't take my word for it. See for yourself....got and get the game....it's $20! What are you waiting for??

texasguy346
07-23-2004, 06:44 PM
I have NCAA Football 2005, ESPN NFL 2K5, and Madden is already on pre-order. I have all but forgotten about taking my Baylor Bears to back to back National championships (very hard to do by the way as any Baylor fan knows LoL) because NFL 2K5 has arrived. I love the presentation. The VIP system is very cool. You can actually save someone else's VIP thing, and then have a computer opponent who plays exactly like that persons VIP file. It analyzes where u prefer to run, pass, how you set up your defense, etc. This should come in handy if you come across an especially tough online opponent. My one gripe is the running game. It seems the runner is stiff and upright, but perhaps its just because I am playing with DD. I like the charging feature, but as a Madden guy it takes a bit to get used to. I love the franchise mode, and so far this season the Texans are 2-0. Pounding the Chargers, and barely escaping Detroit 20-16 (hope the real thing plays out like this too). I have to agree with everyone on the pressure getting to the QB. It's great. Luckily the Hot Routes, and Audibles are very easy and help burn a defense. Well I will stop my rambling on and on, and I'll get back to my new adiction. Bring it on KC. :rofl:

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
07-24-2004, 12:36 AM
the Texans pass defense is terrific in 2K5. :)

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
07-24-2004, 12:59 AM
even though the Texans are rated low, theyre still tough to beat in the game.

RTP2110
07-24-2004, 02:17 PM
Chad Stanley is the punter on the NFL All Star team. :jam:

07-24-2004, 05:48 PM
The graphics are AMAZING... though the players could use longer arms. But the ratings are totally bogus, Wells is faster than Davis, and Moses is stronger than Andre Johnson. wtf? And they have Jammal Lord as the second KR...

texasguy346
07-24-2004, 07:40 PM
It may not be likely that Lord would be KR, but he's been pretty effective for me back there. For some reason or another he usually gives me better returns than JJ Moses or Duff. They also have him listed as a RB instead of a FS, but I guess they didn't see how the Texans picked him on draft day.

SBTexans08
07-26-2004, 02:36 PM
Sega must not be very fond of the Texans....

tony18015
07-26-2004, 07:24 PM
listen i played it and i dont like it all they did was update the rosters and put alot of gliches in it like if your playing with the texans and u use there alternate jersey and u look on the side lines during play they with be wearing pink pants and white jerseys just stooped. and if ur returner gets hurt the put the next fastes guy in there like for the cheifs they put in trent green and for the rams they had bulger 2nd string just crud if u ask me im going back to madden!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kbourda
07-27-2004, 09:50 PM
Hey Tony, it sounds like you aren't giving ESPN a chance. I'll be the first to tell you that it isn't Madden, period. That isn't a bad thing. ESPN plays more like the NFL is meant to be played. To my liking, it's ESPN for me.

dmt217
07-28-2004, 10:01 AM
For franchise junkies...Here's a little tip I found on another MB about the "Weekly Prep" settings.

Here's the newest plan I made. It's easy to customize (everyone gains points again). Everyone does 2 hours of pos drills per week, so you can easily edit it to fit your own teams. Most of your players gain 2 points (some more, some less).

Monday:
Meeting-- Happy
Coaching- Coverages
Film/ 1/ All QBs/ Coverages
Film/ 1/ All Cs/ Fronts
Film/ 1/ All Gs/ Fronts
Film/ 1/ All Ts/ Fronts
Film/ 1/ All FBs/ Fronts
Film/ 1/ All DTs/ RUn Blocking Schemes
Film/ 1/ All DEs/ Run Blocking Schemes
Film/ 1/ All OLBs/ Run/Pass Distribution
Film/ 1/ All ILBs/ Run/Pass Distribution
Film/ 1/ All CBs/ Route Combinations
Film/ 1/ All SSs/ Route Combinations
Film/ 1/ All FSs/ Route Combinations
Film/ 2/ All TEs/ Man/Zone Tendecies
Weights/ 1/ All QBs/ Shoulders
Weights/ 1/ All HBs/ Hamstings and Quads
Weights/ 1/ All WRs/ Calves and Ankles
Weights/ 1/ All FSs/ Calves and Ankles
Weights/ 1/ All SSs/ Calves and Ankles
Weights/ 1/ All CBs/ Calves and Ankles
Weights/ 1/ All DEs/ Hamstings and Quads
Weights/ 1/ All DTs/ Hamstings and Quads
Weights/ 1/ All OLBs/ Arms
Weights/ 1/ All ILBs/ Arms

Tuesday:
7 on 7/ 3/ All/ Partial Pads
Full Drill/ 2/ 1st team/ Partial Pads
Full Drill/ 1/ 2nd team/ Partial Pads
Full Drill/ 1/ 3rdteam/ Partial Pads

Wednesday:
Full Drill/ 1/ 1st team/ Partial Pads
Pos Drill/ 1/ All QBs/ Routes and Combinations
Pos Drill/ 1/ All HBs/ The Gauntlet
Pos Drill/ 1/ All FBs/ Run Blocking
Pos Drill/ 1/ All WRs/ Wide Receiver Release
Pos Drill/ 1/ All TEs/ Run Blocking
Pos Drill/ 1/ All Cs/ Run Blocking
Pos Drill/ 1/ All Gs/ Run Blocking
Pos Drill/ 1/ All Ts/ Run Blocking
Pos Drill/ 1/ All DTs/ Get Off The Ball
Pos Drill/ 1/ All DEs/ Get Off The Ball

Thursday:
Full Drill/ 2/ 1st Team/ Partial Pads
Pos Drill/ 2/ All OLBs/ Beat the Block
Pos Drill/ 2/ All ILBs/ Beat the Block
Pos Drill/ 1/ All CBs/ Backpedaling
Pos Drill/ 1/ All SSs/ Backpedaling
Pos Drill/ 1/ All FSs/ Backpedaling

Friday:
Full Drill/ 1/ 1st team/ No Pads
Full Drill/ 1/ 2nd team/ Partial Pads
Pos Drill/ 1/ All QBs/ Routes and Progressions
Pos Drill/ 1/ All HBs/ Run Blocking
Pos Drill/ 1/ All FBs/ Tire Relay
Pos Drill/ 1/ All WRs/ Pattern Depths
Pos Drill/ 1/ All TEs/ Tire Relay
Pos Drill/ 1/ All Cs/ Run Blocking
Pos Drill/ 1/ All Gs/ Run Blocking
Pos Drill/ 1/ All Ts/ Run Blocking
Pos Drill/ 1/ All DTs/ Get Off the Ball
Pos Drill/ 1/ All DEs/ Get Off the Ball
Pos Drill/ 1/ All SSs/ Backpedaling
Pos Drill/ 1/ All FSs/ Backpedaling

RTP2110
07-30-2004, 08:46 PM
I've been playing ESPN since the day it came out. The gameplay is perfect, it is dead on NFL action. But the game itself was obviously rushed and was not tested enough. Here are some of the more serious bugs/glitches:

Clipping Glitch: Let's say Davis runs for 8 yards, but Pitts is called for clipping. The computer will take the yards rushed (8) and penalty yards (15) and subtract 23 from your RB's stats.

Draft Glitch: The CPU will only draft QB's, HB's, OT's, and DE's in the first round. No matter how highly ranked a player at another postion is, the CPU won't draft him in round 1.

Substitution Glitch: If you pull starters to play back-ups during pre-season games, the CPU will keep your backups as starters. Also, it will not let you sub your starters back in. (Not ever in some bad cases.)

Position Glitch: You can't change a player's position. You can sub some guys to thier right spots. (Coleman to FS) Others you can't. (Pitts to LG) In addition to that, many players are in the wrong position, and alot are completely missing from the game. (R. Walker, D. Armstrong)

Freezing Glitch: This hasn't happened to me thankfully. People are having serious freezing issues. Some people can not even play 5 minutes in bad cases. Other times it will freeze during the draft and you entire franchise is lost because you can not progress beyond that point.

Trading Glitch: The CPU makes outrageous trades. I've seen Moss traded for Stahan, Lions traded Roy Williams in week 4. Huh? Very unrealistic. I like Madden's approach on this one, it doesn't happen in the NFL so it's not on the game.

I wasn't planning on buying Madden this year, but now I think I may have to.

texasguy346
07-30-2004, 11:24 PM
Ramon Walker is in the game. He was a free agent when I started my franchise, so I think the ESPN game people thought he'd be cut before the season started. Armstrong is missing, and so is Faggins. The trades can become a little crazy, but it seems when you initiate a trade that terms become a little bit more realistic. Most teams want a draft pick and a player in return, etc. The draft feature is kind of strange. If you run your own draft, then the setup is a bitt off and you're more rushed to make a pick. You can't seem to make a list of prospects in order of what round they're projected to go so you're guessing at best. On the other hand, if you have the computer run the draft for you, then you get better players. However, they often don't match the system you're using. For example, my first round pick was DE who was smaller than Babin. It would've been ideal size for a 4-3 scheme, but we run the 3-4 and demand bigger DE. I managed to get a good CB, DT, and C in the late rounds when the computer ran the draft for me. So either way you get a trade off. It's still fun, but there are definite glitches. I'll still be getting Madden, but I had planned on getting it anyway. With the 20 dollar price ESPN was a no brainer.

disaacks3
07-31-2004, 04:04 AM
With the 20 dollar price ESPN was a no brainer.
Especially if you get it at Best Buy and use the $5 off coupon in the back of the free GamePro magazines they have in the store! (The coupon is good for XBOX Live Starter Kits or Live games) $16 out-the-door is hard to beat! :hehe:

keyfro
07-31-2004, 12:53 PM
i was going to buy it today...went to best buy they had a little tv set up with it...played it...and hated it...this game is almost identical to the sega dreamcast games nfl 2k2...the graphics are horrible...i mean arms look out of place the facemasks look to be odd...can't really describe how bad the facemasks looked...umh...the play calling is horrible...it's not entirely clear what routes players are running...and to make it worse their formation names are just plan unreal...no one runs a jacks formation...it's a trips formation...just thought espn would get that right...it played ok once the ball was snapped but player movements are akward...tackling is better than madden though...for 20 bucks it's a good game...especially if you don't want to dish out 50 for madden...i will just simply stick with madden 04 for now

TexanNut
07-31-2004, 11:57 PM
Game is great! $16, no coupon needed, at Fryes.

I was playing online today and Davis was unstoppable. I was laughing my *** off...run left, run right, dish left, etc. The other guy was screaming that the Texans don't have anybody that good.

Johnson had some great catches.....Carr had some horrible interceptions.

The halftime update was amazing.

I saw some crazy looking fans, but none with horns on their heads.

I would have paid more for the game, but for $16, it's a deal. Obviously, they low-balled it to get market share....once people play it, they will realize how good the game play is.

swisher
08-01-2004, 12:43 AM
I'm about to scream.

Experienced the clipping glitch....horrible. Davis went from 20+ yards rushing to -8. You can turn clipping off, but its stupid that I have to.

Playing franchise and David Carr gets hurt and is out 10 weeks. But when he comes back for some stupid reason it keeps switching Carr and Ragone out. One play its Carr then the next Ragone. I cant do anything with substitutions....this sucks. I'm starting to REALLY hate this game. I may not buy Madden this year but I doubt I'll be buying ESPN next year. I'm about to put this thing on ebay.

Scooter
08-01-2004, 01:27 PM
this game is a LOT better than i thought it would be. the gameplay is solid altho a little repetative and the extras are great (sportscenter, "crib", etc). the graphics arent particularly great, but deffinately servicable. the tackling & blocking is awesome! player design leave plenty to be desired however. i dont like the mechanics of the passing game much ... why is every pass thrown defended by 3+ folks even if the play is made? the offseason is great, even though i'm beyond broke in year 2 after resigning only coleman & payne (could only sign 2 draft picks after simming through to check it out). the contract system is a little too complicated for me currently so i guess a little thought process is going to have to get involved (dangit lol).

the weekly schedule is fantastic! i love the customization there.

the killer for me, and reason i'll probably lean more to madden is the on-field adjustments. i'm hoping they'll allow movements of players such as coleman to free safety (aside from just depth chart like last year, but still a step up from espn) and setting up automatic substitutions. i've just been plowing through getting the feel for the game so i've probably missed some things but that's a serious annoyance. overall INCREDIBLE game for $20 and i'd highly recommend it. i'm sure madden will be the better game, but for the price, espn has done extremely well.

texasguy346
08-01-2004, 06:25 PM
I had some problems with the cap too, but I got around a lot of the problems by letting Coleman go. I signed Dyson as a free agent, and Robinson remained the number 2 guy. Picked up Nathan Vasher and a good rookie CB in the draft to round out my DBs. Glenn retired but I was still able to keep Payne. I signed most of my picks, well the ones I wanted at least, and I had a little cap room left. Walker's contract seems to be the biggest obstacle, but I got around that by picking up a good rookie DE and trading Walker for McGahee and some draft picks. Willis tears it up in this game. Looks like I'll have to shop DD around. The contracts are still tedious because you must go through all of the options (front, back, middle loaded, ascending, descending, balanced) and the bonuses to get the most cap room you can and still be able to sign the player. The strangest thing that I've found is that Pittman, the Texans LS, doesn't do the LS duties. It's always handled by the backup center. Even on punts so he is essientially a bad TE taking up space on the roster who serves no purpose at all. I think Madden still has the edge in the fun to play factor, yet it still has a great deal of realism in it. I think ESPN went a little far with the reality as far as the contracts are concerned. Not many people understand the cap very well outside of league officials, and I think it complicates an otherwise good game.

swisher
08-02-2004, 01:29 AM
Ok I've calmed down about the game. It stopped doing the Carr/Ragone switching thing and I'm in the AFC championship game at Pittsburgh (playing in all-pro).

MVP of the Wildcard @ Buffalo: Jason Babbin :jam:
MVP of the Divisional Game @ Indy: Dunta Robinson :jam:

I'm back and forth still. Sometimes I love it and other times I want to throw the controller at the tv.

One last glitch...in the playoffs, players are getting injured on teams that are not even playing in the playoffs!!

TexanNut
08-02-2004, 01:41 AM
Had trouble with being online tonight. Is anyone in a league? I would like to join one.

I couldn't get on & tried about 5 mins later and it was working. I have finally won two games with the Texans; both times Davis was a workhorse and Aaron Glen got hurt. I found that it helped to watch the training videos to understand how everything worked.

The game does have some intelligence....I tried to play in the snow at reliant, but it wouldn't let me.

I'll put it on the shelf until next weekend and start again.

texasguy346
08-02-2004, 11:18 PM
One last glitch...in the playoffs, players are getting injured on teams that are not even playing in the playoffs!!

Are you sure about that one? I went through the playoffs as well, but it only listed previous injuries that occured to players on non-playoff teams during the regular season. It is odd how they don't show 'great play' clips during the post season SportsCenters. Just a quick show of the score and some stats. Then the injuries and thats it.

Ihategeeks
08-02-2004, 11:47 PM
I know everything to know about this game.

If anyone has any questions. Shoot.
you need the rating system explained. I got that.
You getting dropped passes, right here. Trouble running? I'm your guide, if you got a question I got an answer.

All I ask is you tell me the team and difficulty for questions that is important too. (and what system you play on)
:popcorn:

I look forward to answering any questions :crazy:

swisher
08-03-2004, 12:04 AM
Well I won the Super Bowl with the Texans on all-pro. Beat the Eagles 17-14 and Andre Johnson was the Super Bowl MVP.

Now I feel like I can continue with my life now.

Even with the few annoying glitches and mistakes it was still a pretty sound game.

texasguy346
08-03-2004, 12:12 AM
Now I feel like I can continue with my life now.
LoL Good Luck. I said the same thing after I beat the Rams narrowly. You have the headache of the offseason schedule(draft,retirement,free agency,etc.). Now I sit at week 7 of season two. LoL. Hopefully when Madden 05 comes I'll devote more time to it instead of ESPN.

SBTexans08
08-03-2004, 12:32 PM
If your a big fan of the franchise mode in football video game titles.....ESPN 2K5 is not for you!

When you finish your first season and commence your second season you'll find out that you play the exact same teams as you did the first season and will be like that for the life of the franchise. This season the Texans play the NFC North for the NFC division along with other AFC teams.......by season 2, 3, 4th and so on....you'll be playing the same NFC North division and the same AFC teams as the first season on ESPN.

This is the biggest glitch and I will be taking it Gamestop to get $15 credit towards Madden. This is the straw that broke the camel's back IMO. There were other glitches like the clipping penalty knocking off negative yardage on rushing and the DBs running toward the line of scrimmage then trying to keep up with the reciever and such but those I tried overlooking. This franchise glitch is inevitably hard to avoid.

Just giving you guys the heads up... :mad:

swisher
08-03-2004, 03:00 PM
Are you sure about that one? I went through the playoffs as well, but it only listed previous injuries that occured to players on non-playoff teams during the regular season. It is odd how they don't show 'great play' clips during the post season SportsCenters. Just a quick show of the score and some stats. Then the injuries and thats it.

Maybe that's what it was. But they way they present it makes it sound like it was big news. Why do we care that a guy who is on a team not in the playoffs and was injured three weeks ago is STILL out for the season.

And showing no highlights in the playoffs was pretty strange.

As far as the schedule the second season and beyond, I think I'm pretty much burned out on it now. I doubt I'll play much more of it for a while and I won't be getting Madden. It's time for real football.

Although I did record my Super Bowl game...does that make me a geek or what?

dmt217
08-03-2004, 03:17 PM
If your a big fan of the franchise mode in football video game titles.....ESPN 2K5 is not for you!

When you finish your first season and commence your second season you'll find out that you play the exact same teams as you did the first season and will be like that for the life of the franchise. This season the Texans play the NFC North for the NFC division along with other AFC teams.......by season 2, 3, 4th and so on....you'll be playing the same NFC North division and the same AFC teams as the first season on ESPN.

This is the biggest glitch and I will be taking it Gamestop to get $15 credit towards Madden. This is the straw that broke the camel's back IMO. There were other glitches like the clipping penalty knocking off negative yardage on rushing and the DBs running toward the line of scrimmage then trying to keep up with the reciever and such but those I tried overlooking. This franchise glitch is inevitably hard to avoid.

Just giving you guys the heads up... :mad:

That sucks. Oh well, I've always preferred NCAA draft classes over the random generated ones. I guess I'll just play 1 season w/ other teams. Also, what's up w/ the random preseason games during the 1st season? Your opponents don't even sub out the starters after the 1st or 2nd quarter...

Anyway, the rosters are also messed up...
Norris is not even on the team, Baxter has a higher rating, Coleman is listed as a CB (plus, he should be faster than a 78), Lord at HB, Hollings slower than Wells, Armstrong is not in the game :hmmm:
Man, I hope they fix this on the next roster update.

Blake
08-03-2004, 04:33 PM
Yeah, having to sub in coleman to FS and robinson to CB is annoying.

blockhead83
08-03-2004, 06:14 PM
Played my 1st game online with it today with the Texans and beat the Steelers 23 - 14. ESPN has impressed me so far, it has it's share of errors but none of them are game killers for me. The most important thing to me is that it's gameplay not only looks fantastic, but also seems to be the most realistic sim I've ever played.

I may still buy Madden this year, but after watching a vid of the 40 minute online game it still appears to have many of the gameplay issues that have plagued it the last three editions that I've played. QB's look like they can still drop back 20 yards and fire dead accurate passes at a high velocity, mario running is still bogging down the running game, and you still can't run the ball to the outside. I'd personally much rather have out of game issues than in game issues.

blockhead83
08-03-2004, 06:16 PM
Also, DC ROCK, I read that you can make the substitution of Coleman to FS under formations, and then save the rosters after the game and the change is permanent. Not sure how that works though since when I try to make a safety substitution Coleman isn't listed as one of the possible players that I can sub in :(

texasguy346
08-03-2004, 06:17 PM

I don't have that problem at all. I am in my second season, and I'm facing NFC West opponents at the moment. I faced NFC North opponents my first season, and the Texans faced the NFC East last year and the NFC South their innaugural year. So it seems to be playing out fine on my system. Not so sure it's a glitch in all games as you suspect. Not sure why yours does it and mine doesn't.

Blake
08-03-2004, 07:30 PM
Also, DC ROCK, I read that you can make the substitution of Coleman to FS under formations, and then save the rosters after the game and the change is permanent. Not sure how that works though since when I try to make a safety substitution Coleman isn't listed as one of the possible players that I can sub in :(

Well right now I am in franchise mode. And I dont believe you can save the subs in that mode. I think they will get an update for it though. Maybe they will put Marcus in the FS category.

All in all I love the game. The gameplay is second to none. The rest of the game, such as trades/draft/FA signing is not perfect. But then again, its a video game. Not a human. It has some flaws. But so will everygame.

I play ESPN for the gameplay, not the little extras. If you want to change the price of hotdogs, then go play madden.

scourge
08-03-2004, 11:43 PM
and you still can't run the ball to the outside.
still cant? what you mean is YOU still cant... ive never had a problem running to the outside. then again, i also know who is an outside runner and who isnt.

Ihategeeks
08-03-2004, 11:51 PM
This will help some of the begginers to pass in this game. It doesn't cover everything, like the ratings systems in relation to difficulty of the pass ect.
But it is a good read.

http://dynamic6.gamespy.com/~nfl2kx/zone_guide.php

dmt217
08-04-2004, 09:30 AM
I play ESPN for the gameplay, not the little extras. If you want to change the price of hotdogs, then go play madden.

This is 1 thing that I can live w/o in Madden (Owner Mode). Of course, you can turn it off b/f you start your franchise...

Anyway, ESPN's Weekly Prep schedule is good, but I'd rather play Madden's training camp drills (mini-games > menu navigating). I wish they included it during the season though.

Blake
08-04-2004, 12:49 PM
still cant? what you mean is YOU still cant... ive never had a problem running to the outside. then again, i also know who is an outside runner and who isnt.

I agree. You need to know who can run inside plays, and who can run outside plays. And Make sure they arent overloading the side you run to. You CAN run to the outside.

blockhead83
08-04-2004, 02:17 PM
I'm just stating what a guy at maddenwishlist.com who has a copy of Madden 2005 has said about it. I've always had problems in madden since the 2003 edition running sweeps, even with outside runners. Must just be me and the madden reviewer....

Blake
08-04-2004, 02:47 PM
oh my bad. Just stick with ESPN. Madden will be the same ol same ol. IMO

SBTexans08
08-04-2004, 04:26 PM
I don't have that problem at all. I am in my second season, and I'm facing NFC West opponents at the moment. I faced NFC North opponents my first season, and the Texans faced the NFC East last year and the NFC South their innaugural year. So it seems to be playing out fine on my system. Not so sure it's a glitch in all games as you suspect. Not sure why yours does it and mine doesn't.

Okay, yeah I made a mistake...the division changes back and forth in only two divisions...

Right now you face the NFC West.
Next season it's going to be NFC North all over again. ('05 season)
After that season you're back at playing the NFC West. ('06 season)
Then back at the NFC North. ('07 season) I simed 5 season and this is what happened.

texasguy346
08-04-2004, 07:02 PM
Okay, yeah I made a mistake...the division changes back and forth in only two divisions...

Right now you face the NFC West.
Next season it's going to be NFC North all over again. ('05 season)
After that season you're back at playing the NFC West. ('06 season)
Then back at the NFC North. ('07 season) I simed 5 season and this is what happened.

Well I am halfway through playing my second season, and I'll let you know how it plays out when I'm done. Perhaps since you simulated it that might be the cause of the error. No problems so far though.

D-ReK
08-06-2004, 05:05 AM
The game is pretty good, except for a few noted roster errors...I normally don't buy ESPN games, but I figured $12 (after employee discount) is definately hard to beat...I may still pick up Madden when it drops...

rittenhouserobz
08-06-2004, 07:58 AM
I played the game over at a freinds house. I didn't like the way it took forever when intercepting a ball to get going the other direction. I didn't like how bad the Texans OL was. To me the graphics were nat all that perfect, but thats my opinion. I know Madden is not perfect, but neither is this game. the major difference at the moment is price. I am not as hyped about paying 49 for madden but I can wait a month for the $39 madden.

Blake
08-06-2004, 09:28 AM
Word to the wise. Sub in Earl for Brown at safety. Earl is a playmaker. Hes the new Ed Reed. Brown just wasnt getting the job done. And when he got injured I got to see Earl knockin heads.

Blake
08-06-2004, 04:23 PM
I'll be on later. Gamer Tag = Mazzer. What time you wanna game?

Blake
08-06-2004, 05:09 PM
what about right now? 4:07 pm

texasguy346
08-06-2004, 09:08 PM
I'm sorry I can't help but ask who won?

*NFL Films music plays in the background*
Announcer: It was an epic battle of wills as two worthy oponents faced off in the cold confines of Reliant Stadium. Who would emerge the victors on this day?

:rofl:

Blake
08-06-2004, 10:09 PM
I got the best of him this time.

Fiddy
08-06-2004, 10:14 PM
I got the best of him this time.What were the teams and the score????

Blake
08-06-2004, 10:51 PM
Game One. Texans Vs. Texans. 31-10 Won.
Game Two. Texans Vs. Falcons 38-10 Won.

Im not 100% on the score but its close.

If anyone wants a game just PM me and we can work something out.

Ihategeeks
08-07-2004, 10:33 AM
Game One. Texans Vs. Texans. 31-10 Won.
Game Two. Texans Vs. Falcons 38-10 Won.

Im not 100% on the score but its close.

If anyone wants a game just PM me and we can work something out.

19-7
62-7
48-0

I am just a souless evil prick though
:headbang:

dmt217
08-08-2004, 11:08 AM
oh my bad. Just stick with ESPN. Madden will be the same ol same ol. IMO

/\ According to GS, yes. They also feel the same about ESPN...

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/sports/espnnflfootball2005/review.html

"If you played and enjoyed last year's ESPN NFL Football, you will find yourself quite at ease when playing ESPN NFL 2K5. The basic gameplay has remained largely untouched, save for a few improvements that aren't necessarily immediately noticeable but become readily apparent when compared to last year's title."

Ihategeeks
08-10-2004, 04:31 PM
I was more consistent though....I scored ten each time. eek:

I'll try to be on. Ihategeeks is pretty good too. I may have scored ten on him also. :tiptoe:

Over 3 games, yes I think you may have 10 :rofl:

Ihategeeks
08-13-2004, 01:05 AM
Sold over a million copies now.

600 k more than last year :yap Sega atleast got the word on the street