PDA

View Full Version : Don't Fire Capers...Yet

Exascor
10-07-2005, 02:22 PM
Nice little article about the lack of success in mid-season coaching changes.

ESPN: Len Pasquarelli
(http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2183377) That point: As poorly as the Vikings have performed under Tice, or as shabbily as the Houston Texans have played in the fourth season of the Dom Capers regime, or as bad as the Green Bay Packers have looked under Mike Sherman, there is little to be served by making a coaching change before the end of the season.

SESupergenius
10-07-2005, 02:43 PM
I agree. I've liked Capers for a long time. If a hard as s like Shotinthehiemer can get things going in Sand Diego, Capers can get it going here. It serves nothing to can the head coach during the season. We have some games we can win coming up, let's see what he can do and if he can rally the troops. With morale around here at an all-time low after 3 games, let's see if Capers can re-capture this team. If he wins at least 7 games this year, he stays. There's plenty of footall left.

TheOgre
10-07-2005, 02:53 PM
I also wonder who had the hatchett on the Texans when they created this schedule. Overall we have one of the easiest schedules in the league, yet they managed to have us start the season against the #1 and #2 defenses from 2004. Our one home game in the first 4 weeks was against a team that was 15-1 in 2004. We get the worst possible bye week (3), and our week 4 opponent has "owned" us in our short history.

Bongo59
10-07-2005, 02:59 PM
Nice little article about the lack of success in mid-season coaching changes.

ESPN: Len Pasquarelli
(http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2183377) That point: As poorly as the Vikings have performed under Tice, or as shabbily as the Houston Texans have played in the fourth season of the Dom Capers regime, or as bad as the Green Bay Packers have looked under Mike Sherman, there is little to be served by making a coaching change before the end of the season........it worked out well for the oilers in 94.............it gave fisher a start on 95............

Double Barrel
10-07-2005, 03:21 PM
I also wonder who had the hatchett on the Texans when they created this schedule. Overall we have one of the easiest schedules in the league, yet they managed to have us start the season against the #1 and #2 defenses from 2004. Our one home game in the first 4 weeks was against a team that was 15-1 in 2004. We get the worst possible bye week (3), and our week 4 opponent has "owned" us in our short history.

Good post, man, and I agree 100%. I've been wondering the same thing when the schedule first came out.

As far as firing Capers mid-season, John McClain said on 610 this afternoon that they won't do it, as it doesn't serve any purpose (pretty much agreeing with the original post).

Plus, most coaches will be let go after the season is over, so it increases our choices. Interim coaches are much good for anything.

aj.
10-07-2005, 03:36 PM
.......it worked out well for the oilers in 94.............it gave fisher a start on 95............

It only works if you have a qualified heir apparent, which we did in Fisher then and which we don't have now. I don't think Jon Hoke is ready to make that big of a jump. DC yes. HC, no.

Speaking of the futility of in-season head coaching moves when there is no one ready to assume the duty, I can't think of a better example than Chuck Studley replacing Ed Biles in '83.

HomeBred_Texan
10-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Speaking of the futility of in-season head coaching moves when there is no one ready to assume the duty, I can't think of a better example than Chuck Studley replacing Ed Biles in '83.
Oh man, why did you have to bring that up, LOL...

That was terrible for us "Luv Ya Blue" fans, LOL.....

HardKnockTexan
10-07-2005, 09:53 PM
When Fisher steped in as head coach didnt the Oilers finish at 2 and 14?? I believe the next year they went 8 and 8.. but I could be wrong. 2 and 14 or 8 and 8.. it's all the same, an early end to a season.

HJam72
10-07-2005, 10:08 PM

Isn't it true that all the teams in the same division will play against all the same out-of-division opponents. We have Indy and Jax in our division and we were expected to be a contender this year as well--for the play-offs, I mean. This is a tough scedule for the first-half, but we're supposed to be able to handle it and most probably thought we'd win at least one of those first 3. If we were good enough to go .500, or even close to it, through the first half-season, then we'd be in great shape.

texan279
10-07-2005, 10:26 PM
I agree. I've liked Capers for a long time. If a hard as s like Shotinthehiemer can get things going in Sand Diego, Capers can get it going here.

I have never seen Capers get fired up like Marty S does. Heck, I haven't seen Capers move from that one spot on the sideline this season. I've seen Marty S get fired up, motivate, yell, get emotional, praise players, let a player know when he screws up, get in a players face. I've never seen any of that from Capers myself, he just stands in that one spot, mouth slightly open, writing on his little notepad.

touttail
10-08-2005, 04:36 AM
McNair hired Capers because of he is organized, and coached/started an expansion team. He didn't last long before Carolina canned him. Do you actually think he was hired because of his coaching skills. I think not! He has served his purpose and it's time for him to go!

bobby 119C :brickwall

Vinny
10-08-2005, 05:17 AM
It only works if you have a qualified heir apparent, which we did in Fisher then and which we don't have now. I don't think Jon Hoke is ready to make that big of a jump. DC yes. HC, no.

Speaking of the futility of in-season head coaching moves when there is no one ready to assume the duty, I can't think of a better example than Chuck Studley replacing Ed Biles in '83.The post Bum futility memories...Ed Biles, Chuck Studley, and Hugh Campbell.

ArlingtonTexan
10-08-2005, 05:32 AM
I have never seen Capers get fired up like Marty S does. Heck, I haven't seen Capers move from that one spot on the sideline this season. I've seen Marty S get fired up, motivate, yell, get emotional, praise players, let a player know when he screws up, get in a players face. I've never seen any of that from Capers myself, he just stands in that one spot, mouth slightly open, writing on his little notepad.

Did you ever see Tom Landry do any of those things?

All that emotional stuff fans can see is one the most overrated things in professional sports.

the wonger need food
10-08-2005, 08:22 AM
Capers actually showed some emotion last week after Peek jumped offsides in the 1st quarter and got pulled over to the sideline. That's the most animated I've ever seen him.

Capers isn't going anywhere until the season is over. He will be fired on Jan.2, so we have that to look forward to. The offseason will be more fun the regular season.

texan279
10-08-2005, 04:22 PM
Did you ever see Tom Landry do any of those things?

All that emotional stuff fans can see is one the most overrated things in professional sports.

I am not just talking about the emotional side of it, Capers doesn't even interact with the players. I can't remember the last time I saw Capers interact with anyone but a coach on the sideline.

ArlingtonTexan
10-08-2005, 05:41 PM
I am not just talking about the emotional side of it, Capers doesn't even interact with the players. I can't remember the last time I saw Capers interact with anyone but a coach on the sideline.

This past Sunday Capers "explained" to Peek why he was pulled after his bonehead penalty. That I saw. Honestly, even when I had season tickets I did not watch the coach enough to see how much interaction he did or did not have. The camera shows the head coach maybe five minutes of out three hour broadcast in a bunch of 10 second snippetts.

Many coaches even those who have reputations for "getting in a players face" "yell" "fire up" and any other terms that one can use, see themselves as overseeing the entire production and allow the assistants to do the hands on "dirty" work. I have no probelms with a coach who wants to spend time paying attention to the entire game than yelling at some guy for a false start.

Ibar_Harry
10-08-2005, 07:12 PM
It would be nice if he learned something while paying attention to the game...........

HoustonFan
10-08-2005, 07:36 PM
.......it worked out well for the oilers in 94.............it gave fisher a start on 95............

But didn't he coach the last 2 or 3 games of the season?

Hervoyel
10-08-2005, 07:56 PM
The post Bum futility memories...Ed Biles, Chuck Studley, and Hugh Campbell.

My dad really "died" as an Oiler fan during those years. He never came back to them or even to the pro game. Being from Alabama he just kind of gravitated back to the Crimson Tide and SEC football. He used to refer to those coaches as

I've got to go make a "Biles Movement", "Upchuck" Studley, and just dropping the "H" he turned Hugh into "Ugh" Campbell.

Nighthawk
10-08-2005, 10:32 PM
Capers actually showed some emotion last week after Peek jumped offsides in the 1st quarter and got pulled over to the sideline. That's the most animated I've ever seen him.

Capers isn't going anywhere until the season is over. He will be fired on Jan.2, so we have that to look forward to. The offseason will be more fun the regular season.

I saw that and thought here's this guy who's been told in the media and everywhere else that he should show some emotion, so what does the robot do? You guessed it. It's a bad, sad joke. The rest of the time his trap was hanging open as usual.

I just hope to heaven you're right about January 2nd.