PDA

View Full Version : Remember 1993

profan
10-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Houstons nfl team was 1-3 going into buffalo. Result was a 35-7 loss leaving Houstons former team with a 1-4 record and everyone wanting everybody fired. Enc result was a winning streak to a 12-4 record and division championship. The season is not over and the texans can still get it together. I can't think of a better way to start the streak ,then, with a big win over houston's former team. Be Loud this Sunday and leave the boos for this board. It could happen!

El Tejano
10-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Houstons nfl team was 1-3 going into buffalo. Result was a 35-7 loss leaving Houstons former team with a 1-4 record and everyone wanting everybody fired. Enc result was a winning streak to a 12-4 record and division championship. The season is not over and the texans can still get it together. I can't think of a better way to start the streak ,then, with a big win over houston's former team. Be Loud this Sunday and leave the boos for this board. It could happen!
It pretty much better be a win because if not, this organization is going to feel the wrath of the bandwagon fans in Houston. :challenge

GoJags16
10-05-2005, 01:41 PM
Look no farther then Carolina last year. 1-7 start, and then almost pulled a playoff birth outta their butts. You guys wont be able to start 1-7, because the AFC is so competitive, but if your team starts lighting it up who knows what could happen.

AlexVanderpool
10-05-2005, 04:27 PM

In 1993, we had like 10 pro bowlers on that team, a dynamic offense, and a very effective, scary, blitz happy defense....

Now we have 2 pro bowl caliber players, a laughable offense, and a highly ineffective defense....

You do the math!!!

HoustonFan
10-05-2005, 04:32 PM

My sentiments exactly. :texans: :texflag: GO TEXANS!!!!!

Double Barrel
10-05-2005, 04:34 PM

Man, memories! I still have some Houston Chronicles (or was it the Post?) from that year, and the headline is "FROM CHOKE TO JOKE". It was an amazing run, fueled by Buddy Ryan's 46 defense. I remember Wilbur Marshal, at the end of his career, showing up and it was fun to watch. Too bad Joe Cool had to shut that season down, though...

But I like your optimism! :thumbup

In 1993, we had like 10 pro bowlers on that team, a dynamic offense, and a very effective, scary, blitz happy defense....

Well, you are partially right. We did have a blitz happy defense.

But a "dyanamic offense" is way off the mark. By that time in Oiler history, everyone had figured out the run-and-shoot, and our offense was being shut down. Hence, a 1-4 start.

It took defensive play at a high level to pull an 11 game winning streak out of the hat, and if you remember, Buddy Ryan was referring to it as the "chuck-and-duck". The last game of the season, against the Jets, is the infamous punch to OC Kevin Gilbride. (I was at the game, but didn't realize there was a coaching scuffle until the news that night.)

wrestler4life
10-05-2005, 04:39 PM

Huge difference in personnel and style, as well as coaching!

Wolf
10-05-2005, 04:44 PM
If memory serves me

I don't see
T Hopkins/ Williams
G Munchak/ Donnalley
C/G Mathews

And Riley/Pitts/McKinney/Weigart/Wand aren't close

I doubt any of our guys would crack that OL starting lineup

aj.
10-05-2005, 05:09 PM

But a "dyanamic offense" is way off the mark. By that time in Oiler history, everyone had figured out the run-and-shoot, and our offense was being shut down. Hence, a 1-4 start.

It took defensive play at a high level to pull an 11 game winning streak out of the hat, and if you remember, Buddy Ryan was referring to it as the "chuck-and-duck".

The '93 Oilers offense was 3rd in the NFL in yards and 7th in TDs. I'd call that highly productive at least, if not dynamic. The defense was #1 against the run and #1 in interceptions.

I knew the '93 Oilers and they would make mincemeat out of the '05 Texans.

Texas
10-05-2005, 05:27 PM
Very nice post to keep some of our spirits up. I beleive it can be done. We just need to get steroids for our O and D lines.

profan
10-05-2005, 06:07 PM

Now we have 2 pro bowl caliber players, a laughable offense, and a highly ineffective defense....

You do the math!!!

Let's see, if i do the math, i would figure the 93 team won the superbowl and several others. The math does not always add up and a teams success is not necessarily measured by how many pro bowl players are on the roster. Yes, the 93 team did have more talent, but my point is they still started out terrible and turned it around after everyone wrote them off. This season is not going to be as bad as many of you would like for it to be and this team is going to win some games.

hadaad
10-05-2005, 08:33 PM
The Oilers didn't have a dynamic offense. They had a great quarterback, small receivers and KEVIN GILBRIDE.

Don't give me this dynamic bull.

AlexVanderpool
10-05-2005, 08:56 PM
The Oilers didn't have a dynamic offense. They had a great quarterback, small receivers and KEVIN GILBRIDE.

were you even around then?

in '93 we had:
- an offensive line with 2 pro bowlers/future hall of famers
- a wide receiving corp with 2 pro bowlers that year (webster slaughter 6'1 and haywood jeffires 6'2) - in what logic is that considered small?
- a running back that had rushed for 1000 yards in half a season a year before.
- a hall of fame qb
- one of the best offensive minds in the game at that time as OC

It is true that the offense was more potent in 1991 and 1992, but even at 75% the 93 offense was beyond dynamic and far superior than the conservative bs we run now will ever be.

LBC_Justin
10-06-2005, 09:07 AM

It took defensive play at a high level to pull an 11 game winning streak out of the hat, and if you remember, Buddy Ryan was referring to it as the "chuck-and-duck". The last game of the season, against the Jets, is the infamous punch to OC Kevin Gilbride. (I was at the game, but didn't realize there was a coaching scuffle until the news that night.)
I hate to do it but I'm going to have to call B.S. on you here.

We averaged over 25 points per game in the last 11 games. Our Offense was still kicking butt and taking names. No ifs ands or buts about it. No one had it figured it out, any more than they have any other offensive scheme figured out.

Yes our defense did play great too. Allowing only 11 points per game in the last 11 games.

Vinny
10-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Many people in the NFL felt the Oilers had the most talented team in the league then. On offense we had 3 future hall of famers (Moon is a shoo-in imo), and Buddy Ryan has as much talent as anyone in the league then, and we dominated teams on a regular basis on both sides of the ball.

It's tough to compare a team that talented with a Texans team that may be the least talented team in the NFL.

Double Barrel
10-06-2005, 11:08 AM
The '93 Oilers offense was 3rd in the NFL in yards and 7th in TDs. I'd call that highly productive at least, if not dynamic. The defense was #1 against the run and #1 in interceptions.

I hate to do it but I'm going to have to call B.S. on you here.

We averaged over 25 points per game in the last 11 games. Our Offense was still kicking butt and taking names. No ifs ands or buts about it. No one had it figured it out, any more than they have any other offensive scheme figured out.

Yes our defense did play great too. Allowing only 11 points per game in the last 11 games.

I wasn't trying to BS anyone...I guess my memory is a bit foggy, though! (my last two brain cells don't function as good anymore! ;) )

For some reason, I thought that was the year that the run-and-shoot took a nosedive. I must have 1993 and 1994 mixed up...it's known to happen! :rolleyes: (was '94 the year that Coach Pardee was fired mid-season? Just verified, yes, it was the 2-14 season)

I looked up the stats (not that I don't trust LBC_Justin and aj, ya'll both have great football knowledge - much respect), but yeah, that was a pretty crazy year.

Coming off of the season-we-shall-not-speak-of, we lose to the Saints and then shutout the Chiefs 30-0. Then a three game losing streak brings us to 1-4 and the "FROM CHOKE TO JOKE" headlines.

But the stats are cool to look at: I forgot about Gary Brown's one season wonder of 1002 rushing yards (along with Lorenzo White getting 465 rushing yards), and Moon threw for 3485 yards (although, his TD/INT ratio is not that impressive at 21/21)

Our defense had 25 interceptions, though! Holy cow, that was a rush year.

ps. I officially hereby retract my previous [incorrect] statement "But a "dyanamic offense" is way off the mark." Chaulk it up to brainfart.

thanks for the kind corrections, guys. :dangit:

HardKnockTexan
10-06-2005, 11:37 AM

I have to disagree. Earnest Givens was small, but relativley productive. Haywood Jeffries was a great reciever. Had good size, good speed and great hands. Drew Hill was one of the most reliable recievers in the game. Lorenzo White was comming off an impressive season rushing the ball. After he got injured Gary Brown steped in and rushed for 1000 yards in 9 games. Brown ended up being a very productive back. The offensive line was staffed with probowlers from tackle to tackle. I dont think I even need to get into why Warren Moon was dynamic....

Porky
10-06-2005, 11:58 AM
This offense couldn't be the waterboy to the 93 offense. That offense had talent, imagination, and many other attributes that this team lacks. LEt's face it. The Texans are the worst offense in the league, bar none. This offense stinks, and the defense is rotten too. Other than that, they are pretty good. :brickwall

GoJags16
10-06-2005, 02:18 PM
This offense couldn't be the waterboy to the 93 offense. That offense had talent, imagination, and many other attributes that this team lacks. LEt's face it. The Texans are the worst offense in the league, bar none. This offense stinks, and the defense is rotten too. Other than that, they are pretty good. :brickwall

Sounds like they are on the right track :homer:

eriadoc
10-06-2005, 02:31 PM
Haywood Jeffires gets no respect. I really don't know why. That guy was really a model for what WRs are being sought after these days - tall, physical jumpers. Jeffires wasn't as physical as someone like Irvin, but he knew how to use his body, and he was a jumper. I know a lot of people disrespect his numbers because it was the R&S offense, but hey - if you're a WR and they throw the ball to you, you catch it. It doesn't matter what system you're in.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand - I like your optimism and I certainly hope this is a repeat of the '93 season (well, without that 4th loss so soon maybe, hehe). I don't see it happening, but you never know. As far as talent, I am not so sure you can write off the current Texans' team in that regard. OK, they're not the '93 Oilers, but athletically speaking, there's just not that much difference these days between a 1st round draft pick and a 7th round draft pick. Speed differences of a tenth of a second or something and maybe an inch or two in height just aren't enough of a difference for me to write someone off. It's all too frequently the intangibles that define a player, and most late-round guys never get a chance to show those. On this team, most of the guys have been mismanaged at their positions, so it's hard to gauge just yet, IMO. Is Jon Hoke our best coach? Yikes ......

LBC_Justin
10-06-2005, 04:27 PM
I wasn't trying to BS anyone...I guess my memory is a bit foggy, though! (my last two brain cells don't function as good anymore! ;) )

For some reason, I thought that was the year that the run-and-shoot took a nosedive. I must have 1993 and 1994 mixed up...it's known to happen! :rolleyes: (was '94 the year that Coach Pardee was fired mid-season? Just verified, yes, it was the 2-14 season)

I looked up the stats (not that I don't trust LBC_Justin and aj, ya'll both have great football knowledge - much respect), but yeah, that was a pretty crazy year.

Coming off of the season-we-shall-not-speak-of, we lose to the Saints and then shutout the Chiefs 30-0. Then a three game losing streak brings us to 1-4 and the "FROM CHOKE TO JOKE" headlines.

But the stats are cool to look at: I forgot about Gary Brown's one season wonder of 1002 rushing yards (along with Lorenzo White getting 465 rushing yards), and Moon threw for 3485 yards (although, his TD/INT ratio is not that impressive at 21/21)

Our defense had 25 interceptions, though! Holy cow, that was a rush year.

ps. I officially hereby retract my previous [incorrect] statement "But a "dyanamic offense" is way off the mark." Chaulk it up to brainfart.

thanks for the kind corrections, guys. :dangit:
LOL no worries.
I shed many a tear over those early 90's teams, so my memory is still pretty fresh.

aj.
10-06-2005, 07:26 PM
'93 was the most bizarre year I will ever see.

1-3 then 11 in a row with the Blaine Bishop coming out party against Steve Young on Xmas Day

Buddy punching Gilbride on national tv and most of us at the game knowing nothing about it until the post game drive home

Babygate

Jeff Alm

and sadly, Joe Montana and the Keith Cash horizontal spike on Buddy's face

I can still see the faces of two Chiefs fans who sat in front of me that day. And the wretched Oilers fan who was trying to get a cheer going in the final minutes...