PDA

View Full Version : Lavar Arrington

HardKnockTexan
10-05-2005, 07:02 AM
I just heard on Cold Pizza that Linebacker Lavar Arington or the Washington Redskins may be cut. They said that he is back to full health but him and Coach Gibbs are butting heads. He only played in 2 plays last weekend. I believe this is the kind of player our defense is missing. He's only 27, he's fast, he tackles well and he rushes the passer with the best of them in the league. The only knock on him is that he plays independently. They say that he doesnt fit into a scheme and just does what he thinks needs to be done to make a play. I'm all for doing whatever it takes to get this guy in a Texans uniform! Lets make some moves here Casserly!!! :texflag:

Any thoughts??

Reddevil63
10-05-2005, 07:05 AM
I wouldnt shed a tear if they did sign him but I dont see it happening...

hou059
10-05-2005, 07:10 AM
Well I like Arrington and I agree with your comments regarding what he would bring to the team but we have someone like that in Peek, yes not quite the same player but Peek has that motor and is very aggressive but he listens to Capers and follows the sceme. I think Arrongton would fit into the Raiders group of misfits.

infantrycak
10-05-2005, 07:14 AM
So long as Fangio & Capers are here I would bet against any freelancers being brought in. But hey, we can watch him go to the pro-bowl with San Diego. Does Washington have enough cap space to eat his accelerated 11 mil signing bonus? I will say, nice GM/coaching snafu there--sign the 3 time pro-bowler to a $63 mil contract and then decide he doesn't fit your system. Brilliant!!!

HardKnockTexan
10-05-2005, 07:29 AM
Peak, Greenwood, Wong, Arington.... :drool: :drool: :drool: :texflag:

HardKnockTexan
10-05-2005, 07:35 AM
Redskins | Gibbs Meets with Arrington
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 15:28:31 -0700

Ryan O'Halloran, of the Washington Times, reports Washington Redskins head coach Joe Gibbs met with LB LaVar Arrington Monday morning, Oct. 3 and Gibbs said that Arrington is 100 percent healthy, but "he's not a starter right now." Linebacker Warrick Holdman has been starting in Arrington's spot and LB Charlie Clemons replaced Arrington in passing situations during Week 4. Furthormore, Arrington denied a FOX report that that he was asked and refused to play special teams. Arrington noted he is surprised by his lack of playing time.

Youngstown Colt
10-05-2005, 08:36 AM
Well I like Arrington and I agree with your comments regarding what he would bring to the team but we have someone like that in Peek, yes not quite the same player but Peek has that motor and is very aggressive but he listens to Capers and follows the sceme. I think Arrongton would fit into the Raiders group of misfits.The only thing he has in common with Lavar is the position.

HardKnockTexan
10-05-2005, 08:42 AM
The only thing he has in common with Lavar is the position.

:highfive: :texflag:

ledzeppelin229
10-05-2005, 08:54 AM
What is Arrington's biggest weakness? Fangio and Capers will find it, and exploit it. They expose our own players weaknesses but for the life of them can't find a way to exploit our opponent's. I don't see Fangio being replaced anytime this season though, which is unfortunate.

TEXANS84
10-05-2005, 09:28 AM
Linebacker Warrick Holdman has been starting in Arrington's spot and LB Charlie Clemons replaced Arrington in passing situations during Week 4.

Holy ****! The former Texans LB bust. That's where he went.

I wonder if Stacey Mack and Matt Stevens is on that team as well.

touttail
10-05-2005, 11:23 AM
Is he 100% healthy. Can he stay healthy? All we need is another cripple on our team. We have been burnt with injuried players in the past. Does Boselli ring a bell?

bobby 119C

infantrycak
10-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Holy ****! The former Texans LB bust. That's where he went.

I wonder if Stacey Mack and Matt Stevens is on that team as well.

It's a misprint. Chris Clemons is their LB.

texan279
10-05-2005, 12:46 PM
LINK (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/04/AR2005100401283.html)

The biggest question regarding linebacker LaVar Arrington's future in Washington may not be whether he will be here beyond this season, but when he will depart. Several NFL general managers and player agents expect Arrington, once the face of the organization and now relegated to the lower depths of the roster, to be playing elsewhere in 2006 given his hefty contract, recent history with the club, injuries and lack of significance on this defense.

Ihategeeks
10-05-2005, 01:36 PM
No He's Ours, Stay Away!!!!

El Tejano
10-05-2005, 02:43 PM
I just think we need a guy with an attitude on our team.

PapaL
10-06-2005, 05:13 AM
I finally have the proper forum to post this:

Arrington Video (http://www.czabe.com/audioclips/easterns_video.avi.wmv )

You guys can also have him in one of your local commercials! Catchy song though, lol.

chuckm
10-06-2005, 05:16 AM
I just think we need a guy with an attitude on our team.

*see Philip Buchanon .... :tv:

SESupergenius
10-06-2005, 08:22 AM
Arrington is in the upper echelon of LB's. They are playing politics with him and I would grab him in a heartbeat.

infantrycak
10-06-2005, 08:44 AM
Arrington is in the upper echelon of LB's. They are playing politics with him and I would grab him in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately it looks like he is being Fangio'd in Washington so I am sure he wouldn't fit in here either.

Coach C.
10-13-2005, 06:46 AM
With the situation with Lavar Arrington in Washington does anyone think that our regime or new regime would consider a deal for him. He is talented, healthy, young and a demon rushing the passer. I mean any trade deals have to be done this week, so do you think in the 11th hour we could work something for Arrington that would not cost an arm and a leg.

texan279
10-13-2005, 06:50 AM
His contract alone will cost an arm and a leg, he will count just over $12 million against the Skins cap this season.

kevlar_h
10-13-2005, 06:59 AM
I've had the same thoughts....we should have the cap space and we need somebody of his caliber. Problem is, we have nothing to trade except draft picks and we need those just about as bad.

Hey, maybe they would take Babin! :rolleyes:

infantrycak
10-13-2005, 07:18 AM
His contract alone will cost an arm and a leg, he will count just over $12 million against the Skins cap this season.

That is only to the Skins. The original team takes the hit for all the bonus money already paid out so the unprorated part of the original signing bonus immediately goes entirely on the Skins cap if they trade him. The Skins don't have the money to do that right now. As an example though, that can work out great for a team trading for that player. If a trade for Arrington went down right after the season, Arrington would have to be paid a $6.5 mil bonus in march but then in 2006 his salary is only $545k and in 2007 it is $2 mil. That is much cheaper than having to account for the full contract.

pv1999
10-13-2005, 07:36 AM
Redskins | Gibbs Meets with Arrington
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 15:28:31 -0700

Ryan O'Halloran, of the Washington Times, reports Washington Redskins head coach Joe Gibbs met with LB LaVar Arrington Monday morning, Oct. 3 and Gibbs said that Arrington is 100 percent healthy, but "he's not a starter right now." Linebacker Warrick Holdman has been starting in Arrington's spot and LB Charlie Clemons replaced Arrington in passing situations during Week 4. Furthormore, Arrington denied a FOX report that that he was asked and refused to play special teams. Arrington noted he is surprised by his lack of playing time.

GO Warrick! Local Kid from A&M.

aliaspgk
10-13-2005, 08:35 AM
Just watched a segment on NFL Live about the developing situation in Washington where Lavar Arrington has played a combined 2 snaps in the last two games (0 last week), and I was just thinking to myself if there was anyone I actually wouldnt mind spending draft picks on-still throwing up in my mouth about buchannon-, it would be Lavar Arrington. Hes got a big contract and with so many highly paid players in Washington I couldnt imagine that if we swung in with an offer that they couldnt be persuaded to move him out of the conference to us. We would pick up a freak athlete and 3 time pro bowler who is hungry to get back on the field and would be an upgrade over any of our backers. Put him on the inside with wong and let peek and greenwood play outside or some other combination-I dont think its that far fetched an idea and hes not that old. He has butted heads with Redskins management for years I would think he may want the chance to get out.

Double Barrel
10-13-2005, 08:44 AM
I thought the same thing when I saw NFL Live last night. It is a strange game Coach Gibbs is playing, because Arrington is a stud player. Gibbs keeps everything close to his chest, but apparently, LA is a little too much of a "free spirit" on the field and doesn't necessarily conform to the coaches playcalling.

With that in mind, I'm not sure he's a good fit for Coach Capers, either.

But I'd love to see him in a Texans uniform, without a doubt. You never know how the off-season could play out.

HardKnockTexan
10-13-2005, 09:28 AM
I thought the same thing when I saw NFL Live last night. It is a strange game Coach Gibbs is playing, because Arrington is a stud player. Gibbs keeps everything close to his chest, but apparently, LA is a little too much of a "free spirit" on the field and doesn't necessarily conform to the coaches playcalling.

With that in mind, I'm not sure he's a good fit for Coach Capers, either.

But I'd love to see him in a Texans uniform, without a doubt. You never know how the off-season could play out.

why wait untill the offseason?? There's a chance he could be released very soon. If that happens and the Texans dont do whatever it takes to get him in here it'd be just another reason why Casserly should be canned.

HardKnockTexan
10-13-2005, 09:40 AM
Redskins | Gibbs Done Talking About Arrington
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 22:27:28 -0700

The Associated Press reports Washington Redskins head coach Joe Gibbs said he is addressing the LB LaVar Arrington situation "for the last time." When Arrington claimed that no explanation had been given for his benching, Gibbs said, "I've talked to LaVar more than any other player I've ever coached in 30 years, probably three times more. I've told him exactly what he needs to do." Assistant coach Joe Bugel added that the team can't play someone who mixes one flashy play with four or five bad ones.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Bubbajwp
10-13-2005, 12:38 PM
Unfortunately it looks like he is being Fangio'd in Washington so I am sure he wouldn't fit in here either.
Your right he wouldnt fit in Fangio's defense (To selfish). But maybe he will fit in our new defensive coordinators scheme next year.

keyfro
10-13-2005, 05:29 PM
you know right now i'm split on this issue...on one side we need something in a form or a spark...on the other the guy hasn't worked well in washington...all of his former d. coordinators have had beefs with him and that's including marvin lewis, mike nolan, and now greg williams...something tells me with our history of FA busts to stay away

touttail
10-14-2005, 05:37 PM
DEFENSIVE STATS

Year Team G Total Tckl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def
2000 Washington Redskins 16 55 44.0 11 4 0 0 0.0 0 0 4
2001 Washington Redskins 14 99 82.0 17 0.5 3 120 40.0 67 1 6
2002 Washington Redskins 16 92 67.0 25 11 0 0 0.0 0 0 8
2003 Washington Redskins 16 88 75.0 13 6 0 0 0.0 0 0 10
2004 Washington Redskins 4 15 11.0 4 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 2
2005 Washington Redskins 3 2 2.0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0
TOTAL 69 351 281.0 70 22.5 3 120 40.0 67 1 30

bobby 119C

Bubbajwp
10-14-2005, 07:13 PM
Your right he wouldnt fit in Fangio's defense (To selfish). But maybe he will fit in our new defensive coordinators scheme next year.
On the flip side who cares if he is selfish. Let him blitz every single play.

infantrycak
10-14-2005, 07:58 PM
On the flip side who cares if he is selfish. Let him blitz every single play.

The point being as long as Fangio is here he wouldn't be a good fit, just like Steve Foley. Not saying it is right, just it is reality.

Texas_Thrill
10-15-2005, 04:33 AM
Man a contract in the NFL what is that? If he gets cut we restructure his contract to something more reasonable.

I don't think him and peek have much in common either other than the position. We need a playmaker like him but of course IF cass and co. had sense like that we would have drafted D. Johnson so obviously i'm not holding my collective breath to see them make a effort to sign arrington.

:bomb:

gtexan02
10-16-2005, 11:59 PM
I know he would be expensive, but now with Wong gone, we have 0 linebackers who know what position they are in. Babin was a busted DE conversion. Peek is a blitz only LB who couldnt contain if he wanted to. Greenwood is an OLB who tackled people running away from Zack Thomas, and who has no career turnovers. Shantee Orr, Troy Evans, Deshaun Polk would be 3rd stringers or towel boys on any other team. We need some experience and leadership and Arrington is on the trading block!! You have until Tuesday!

wrestler4life
10-17-2005, 12:03 AM
I thought Or ad a good game.

SESupergenius
10-17-2005, 12:10 AM
Greenwood had another bad game. He's fast.....he needs to be with all the players blowing by him.

mean mark8
10-17-2005, 12:12 AM
Why get Arrington? He wouldn't play the way Capers wants and ride the pine just like in Washington. Or, Capers would want to limit his abilities by forcing him into his "technique" like he does all other players. Don't let the players play to their ability. They must conform to the dictator's, er I mean, head coach's style.

Does anyone remember Don Shula's coaching style before he had Marino? Run the ball for 3 yards w/ Czonka and 4 yards w/ Kick or Morris. Guess what, when he got Marino he changed his system to fit the players he had and the team went to the Super Bowl in Marino's second year. Of course the wheels fell off from there for some reason but he still knew he had to change.

Goldeagle
10-23-2005, 06:44 PM
They say he wont be in Washington Next year and it would be nice to have an actual Oustide Linebacker who can make plays.

texan279
10-26-2005, 06:32 AM
From what I have heard on ESPN and read it looks like he might stay with the Skins...from www.kffl.com

Redskins | Arrington Plays Week 7
Sun, 23 Oct 2005 18:44:25 -0700

The Associated Press reports Washington Redskins LB LaVar Arrington played mostly in long-yardage situations Week 7 against the San Francisco 49ers. Arrington ended up leading the team in tackles with nine.

Redskins | Arrington to See Playing Time on Defense
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 06:24:19 -0700

The Washington Post reports the Washington Redskins are expected to finally give LB LaVar Arrington playing time when they take on the San Francisco 49ers Sunday, Oct. 23, at FedEx Field. "He's had a really good week of practice," assistant head coach-defense Gregg Williams said of Arrington. "I feel real good about his playing and real good about where he's at. The last two weeks, he's taken some strides physically. It looks like his legs are back. He's bouncing around pretty good out there."

GoPats
10-27-2005, 11:53 AM
This whole situation is pretty puzzling. Arrington is obviously a talented guy... so what's the deal? Is he not a very smart player or something?

I get the feeling that for every one good play you see this guy make, there are at least 5 or 6 that make coaches cringe. NFL fans are obsessed with stats... combine scores... and if this guy won't play a role in a team defense, I wouldn't want him. Joe Gibbs has had it kind of rough since he returned to the NFL, but he still knows more about football than you or me.