PDA

View Full Version : Backups lead Defense to years best performance

nunusguy
10-03-2005, 12:05 PM
"Cornerback Demarcus Faggins, outside linebacker Shantee Orr and defensive end Travis Johnson joined the starting lineup and made contributions to an improved performance."
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3379345
I still don't have any problem with the TJ pick this year (no matter how upset some may be on passing on DJ from Texas or anybody else), but the decisions
involving last years Draft/Babin and in FA with PB this year cost us 4 first day draft picks. Those decisions were killers. That's two 2s and two 3s. With those picks we could have got a real TE, another WR with speed and a couple of offensive lineman. Count 'em again, that's 4 first day picks, or 2/3rds of two years worth of first day picks in the college draft.

Vinny
10-03-2005, 12:08 PM
TJ and Orr had two tackles combined and I wasn't real impressed with TJ working against a journeyman who was handling him without a double team. This was a better effort from the defense but those two guys weren't the reason.

F-minus67
10-03-2005, 12:17 PM
I thought that Willie Anderson played against TJ on Sunday? And Last time I checked he had been to the pro bowl a couple times.

PapaL
10-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Willie Anderson has been blocking in the NFL since TJ was in middle school. Not sure if they matched up, just an FYI.

Vinny
10-03-2005, 12:37 PM
If you have the game recorded you will see TJ and Bobbie Williams one-on-one, and he is handling him easily.

Reddevil63
10-03-2005, 12:47 PM
Thats been a commom theme for 3 seasons, I dont get it.

nunusguy
10-03-2005, 12:54 PM
"Lineman holds his own
Texans defensive end Travis Johnson, the No. 1 pick, made his first start in place of the injured Gary Walker.

"I didn't make any big plays, but nobody took advantage of me, either," Johnson said.

Right tackle Willie Anderson tried to exploit Johnson.

"I was going against a Pro Bowl tackle, and he called me out," Johnson said. "He said in the newspaper they were going to run at me the whole game, but I guess that wasn't the right idea."

The Bengals rushed for 98 yards and a 3.9 average per carry. Johnson was impressed with Anderson's size.

"He's so massive," he said. "He's all of 370, and I don't care what their program says (6-5, 340)."
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3379363

Vinny
10-03-2005, 12:56 PM
The tackle is out on a linebacker (end in down position) in most passing downs and we were in a 4 man look...that put TJ inside on Bobbie Williams. I'm watching it now. In 3 man fronts TJ is on the T.

johnboy
10-03-2005, 01:01 PM
Two tackles between the four of them,Anderson. Peek Orr &TJ and the Texans said that they believed the new people made contributions to an improved performance (amazing)

Vinny
10-03-2005, 01:03 PM
Chester Pitts had more tackles (one) than Peek (although Peek had 3 assists).

wags
10-03-2005, 01:10 PM
The title of this thread should be Dunta leads defense to best performance. Nobody else really stood out to me in terms of making plays. I am pretty amazed that P-Buc actually tackled somebody. Who saw this coming?

The thing I'm disturbed about is our linebackers. Peek is not disciplined at all. The personal foul, the offsides, and he also lost contain on the reverse. Wong and Greenwood seem to get pushed around too much and Greenwood can't fill a cutback lane. The lack of playmaking ability is disturbing from our linebackers. Peek drops an INT against the Bills and it looked like Greenwood could have had one in the first series this game.

Wasn't Wong more effective at OLB last year?

Did anyone else see Greenwood get tossed like a rag doll by Verron Haynes in the Steelers game? That's the worst serving I've ever seen.

Kaiser Toro
10-03-2005, 01:15 PM
The title of this thread should be Dunta leads defense to best performance. Nobody else really stood out to me in terms of making plays. I am pretty amazed that P-Buc actually tackled somebody. Who saw this coming?

The thing I'm disturbed about is our linebackers. Peek is not disciplined at all. The personal foul, the offsides, and he also lost contain on the reverse. Wong and Greenwood seem to get pushed around too much and Greenwood can't fill a cutback lane. The lack of playmaking ability is disturbing from our linebackers. Peek drops an INT against the Bills and it looked like Greenwood could have had one in the first series this game.

Wasn't Wong more effective at OLB last year?

Did anyone else see Greenwood get tossed like a rag doll by Verron Haynes in the Steelers game? That's the worst serving I've ever seen.

Before this last year I was on the Casserly bandwagon, but, due to the first three games of the season, Greenwood is my poster child on why Cass needs to go. He does get thrown around and runs right into this his own defenders.

nunusguy
10-03-2005, 01:49 PM

While I'm a huge fan of D-Robs, CC and Wong each actually had more tackles than him according to official stats, but D-Rob did again have his usual very good game.
And to your complaint about the title of the thread, perhaps I took some editorial liberties with that, but it was my thread so got to title it, I'm sure
you do the same with yours. A more accurate title might be "Backups join
Defensive starters for years best performance". And it was just that, the Ds
best effort to date this year, inferring we didn't miss Babin, PB, and Walker one bit.