PDA

View Full Version : What draft choice would you have taken?

gtexan02
09-19-2005, 07:08 PM
And Why?

D-Rob23
09-19-2005, 07:19 PM
OT Jamal Brown : Ask David Carr

However, I was definitely shocked by the Texans passing on Derrick Johnson... Then again I should not be surprised by these decisions anymore...

beerlover
09-19-2005, 07:23 PM
SIMPLE TAKE BPA! Derrick Johnson was the best player on the board when the Texans selected @ #13. the system can adjust to change for a playmaker on defense the magnitude of Derrick. I never really gave it much thought at the time because I did not think he would fall to the Texans. the Vikings should have taken him @ #7. so basicly teams are passing on one of the two (DeMarcus Ware being the other) defensive players in the entire draft for need or BETTER system fits.

Drafts should be to build a franchise future not address year by year needs & you don't pass on Pro-Bowl potential players because "they don't fit our system". I'm wondering why Casserly ever invited Derrick to Relient for a workout & interview? anybody remember that :confused:

throwANDREtheBALL
09-19-2005, 07:37 PM
its a no-brainer

IF we had a good GM, we would of signed a decent OL in FA, filling that need
OT - Jonas Jennings
OT - Chris Terry
OT - L.J. Shelton
OL - Mike Wahle (he's a 6'6 OG, and very quick footed, definitely could've played OT, and very well)

Or since the coaches wanted to improve the D-line first, sign just one of these guys in FA.
DE - Kevin Carter
DE - Marques Douglas
DT - Pat Williams
DT - Jason Ferguson
DT - Corey Simon

No matter how little the team did in Free Agency, they still should've taken the best player available.

Therefore Derrick Johnson LB was the pick.

beerlover
09-19-2005, 07:41 PM
its a no-brainer

IF we had a good GM, we would of signed a decent OL in FA, filling that need
OT - Jonas Jennings
OT - Chris Terry
OT - L.J. Shelton
OL - Mike Wahle (he's a 6'6 OG, and very quick footed, definitely could've played OT, and very well)

Or since the coaches wanted to improve the D-line first, sign just one of these guys in FA.
DE - Kevin Carter
DE - Marques Douglas
DT - Pat Williams
DT - Jason Ferguson
DT - Corey Simon

No matter how little the team did in Free Agency, they still should've taken the best player available.

Therefore Derrick Johnson LB was the pick.

YOUR RIGHT ON, THATS A NO BRAINER :brickwall

HomeBred_Texan
09-19-2005, 07:41 PM
OT Jamal Brown : Ask David Carr

However, I was definitely shocked by the Texans passing on Derrick Johnson... Then again I should not be surprised by these decisions anymore...
I agree with everything you said.

texan279
09-19-2005, 07:54 PM
Too bad Jammal Brown is playing RT right now and Alex Barron is 2nd team tackle for the Rams...

gtexan02
09-19-2005, 08:10 PM
A lot of LTs start at RT and move over to LT. And Barron is the #2 because he is playing behind Orlando Pace

rmartin65
09-19-2005, 08:11 PM
barron, left tackle position is weak

Hervoyel
09-19-2005, 08:15 PM
gtexan02 makes some points but I think the most important one is that in order to start for the Texans Barron would need to be better than our current LT (or RT, depending on where you're putting him) and how far down the Rams depth chart he is makes no difference whatsoever. I think it's safe to say that they're better than we are on the line and deeper too.

Not that I would have taken him. We didn't need another season of Carr getting crushed while a rookie LT learns on the job. We needed a veteran LT to stop the bleeding immediatley. The Texans should have signed the best available free agent LT as soon as possible. Overpay if you must because this is the one spot on the team where it's ok to overpay. Just get it done. If necessary they should have made Orlando Pace an offer he couldn't walk away from.

The team said they were serious about fixing the situation on the line. The team lied.

gtexan02
09-19-2005, 08:51 PM
The team said they were serious about fixing the situation on the line. The team lied.

Now that is a quote I'd like to remember. Truer words were never spoken.

beerlover
09-19-2005, 08:53 PM
I'm wondering if the Texans have a shot this year at drafting DeBrickshaw Ferguson would they pass on him too :confused:

Bubbajwp
09-19-2005, 09:28 PM
I'm wondering if the Texans have a shot this year at drafting DeBrickshaw Ferguson would they pass on him too :confused:
If the draft was today and they passed on him. I realy dont know what i would do but it wouldnt be pretty. It probably be somthing like :goodnight

mes311
09-19-2005, 09:29 PM
If necessary they should have made Orlando Pace an offer he couldn't walk away from.

Would you have also been willing to give up the 2 1st rounders it would have taken to get the 29 yo LT that hasn't missed many games?
It may have been worth it, especially if he helped you get a low first next year.

stevo3883
09-19-2005, 09:35 PM
Would you have also been willing to give up the 2 1st rounders it would have taken to get the 29 yo LT that hasn't missed many games?
It may have been worth it, especially if he helped you get a low first next year.

would I give up a Jason Babin and Travis Johnson for Orlando Pace?

YOU BET YOUR *** I WOULD!

Bubbajwp
09-19-2005, 09:41 PM
would I give up a Jason Babin and Travis Johnson for Orlando Pace?

YOU BET YOUR *** I WOULD!
Two first rounders is to much. What would we do without AJ and Drob

stevo3883
09-19-2005, 09:54 PM
Two first rounders is to much. What would we do without AJ and Drob

not every 1st rounder is a top 10 pick that turns into a pro bowler right away.

Bubbajwp
09-19-2005, 09:58 PM
not every 1st rounder is a top 10 pick that turns into a pro bowler right away.
I know but what if our next two 1rst rounders turned out to be a top five Lt and the next randy moss. would you take that risk. Pace is not the anwser to our problems.

Bubbajwp
09-19-2005, 09:58 PM
Allthough he would help

Hervoyel
09-19-2005, 11:21 PM
In an ideal situation Bubbajwp I'd agree with you that Pace isn't the answer to our problems. The Texans have allowed "our problems" to fester so long however that I think a drastic solution like Orlando Pace or, at the very least one of the other free agent LT's that signed early is the only answer.

In Orlandos case people don't want to give up the pair of 1's but honestly, you're adding Orlando Pace to your team. Orlando Pace is himself a 1 so that offsets one of the picks you give up. You're trading a possibility for a known quantity and giving up years (because Pace isn't a puppy anymore) in exchange for getting him right now. Consider the second 1 you would lose an investment. If you don't give that 1 up you're going to waste the 1 you spent on David Carr because without protection you might as well have thrown that one away too.

Seriously though, in a perfect world we took care of this two seasons ago. I can accept that the gamble on Boselli didn't pay off. I can't accept that there was no "Plan B". Everybody has a freakin Plan B in this business. Everybody you want running your team that is.

Wolf
09-19-2005, 11:33 PM
It is all a **** shoot. Remember the Cowboys and their 2 #1's for a Joey Galloway and injury took him down ..

It is all about Vegas

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-20-2005, 02:27 AM
1st pick for the Texans should of been Aaron Rogers QB that went to GreenBay in case we need to send Carr and Capers packing this year, 2nd would of been a new GM, I am sick and tired of Charlie licking the wounds every week he sounds like a broken record.

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS
09-20-2005, 02:30 AM
For the upcoming draft this year, we need a new QB Marcus Vick from Virginia Tech would be nice or Young from Texas, I do believe the Texans would get beat if they would play Texas right now, sad to say.

z0rpAn
09-20-2005, 11:38 AM
1st pick for the Texans should of been Aaron Rogers QB that went to GreenBay in case we need to send Carr and Capers packing this year, 2nd would of been a new GM, I am sick and tired of Charlie licking the wounds every week he sounds like a broken record.

im going to say this one time and one time only...
wait until carr actually has time to sit in the pocket and THEN you can criticize him.

Blake
09-20-2005, 12:25 PM
im going to say this one time and one time only...
wait until carr actually has time to sit in the pocket and THEN you can criticize him.

First off, the fans can criticize David all they want. But the fact is that even if David has time, he gets those darn "happy feet" and takes off down the field for a yard or 2.

Even if the o-line "fights their tales off" and gives David the norm 3-4 seconds, he still takes off down the field like he is Vick.

Stat time.

Rushing attempts 2005

Mike Vick 19
David Carr 14
J.P. Losman 10

Everone else. 1-6

My point is not that he shouldnt ever run the ball. All QB's take the ball a few times a game. But for some reason other QB's know that as a QB their job is to pass the football to their stud WR's who are alot better than them at running.

Blake
09-20-2005, 12:30 PM

They will drop down 3-4 spots, pick up a 3rd, and then get the player they wanted all along!! Too bad he doesnt play LT, WR, or TE.

I dont understand the Texans anymore.

We use a #1 overall pick on Carr.
A #3 overall on Johnson.

And then go out and throw 5 yard passes all day long.

Anyone who saw the wash/dallas game last night wishes they could see a few of those 4th quarter passes from the skins.

Moss was double teamed by Glenn and Williams, and he still threw it to him, and Moss still came down with it.

Double teams dont mean they take your player away...

chuckm
09-20-2005, 12:34 PM
I'll defer my selection for 5 years. Then I'll come back and pick. That way I'm ensured of my pick not being a bust.

texan279
10-02-2005, 12:06 PM
A lot of LTs start at RT and move over to LT. And Barron is the #2 because he is playing behind Orlando Pace

Just heard Barron is starting today and will be going up against Michael Strahan...Should be interesting to watch...