PDA

View Full Version : Chris Palmer Fired!!!

alphajoker
09-19-2005, 12:07 PM
Just saw in the Houston Chronicle that the Texans offensive co-ordinator has been fired. The story wasn't complete with details but it looks like changes are a comin'!

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3359967

herblcure
09-19-2005, 12:09 PM
Just saw in the Houston Chronicle that the Texans offensive co-ordinator has been fired. The story wasn't complete with details but it looks like changes are a comin'!

Well if this is the case, I have to admit it is a start. Perhaps I will continue with the season then but there are more heads that need to roll! :yahoo:

wags
09-19-2005, 12:10 PM
linkage:

touttail
09-19-2005, 12:11 PM
It's offical, Palmer is OUTTA HERE!

bobby 119C

exclude
09-19-2005, 12:11 PM

This is just a precursor of things to come, although I think this firing is akin to choppin' off a leg to cure a headache :confused:

TEXANS84
09-19-2005, 12:12 PM
Wow, that was quick.

But we promote the offensive line coach?

alphajoker
09-19-2005, 12:13 PM
Yep, looks like Joe Pendry will be calling the plays.

HardKnockTexan
09-19-2005, 12:13 PM
Sept. 19, 2005, 11:10AM

Texans fire play-caller Chris Palmer
Offensive coordinator ousted following 0-2 start
By JOHN MCCLAIN
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Chris Palmer, the Texans offensive co-ordinator since their inception in 2002, was fired this morning and was replaced by offensive line coach Joe Pendry.

The beleagured Chris Palmer, under fire because the Texans offense has scored only two touchdowns in losses to Buffalo and Pittsburgh, got the word during a meeting with coach Dom Capers at Reliant Stadium.

Contacted today, the Texans said they would not comment until Capers' regularly scheduled news conference at 3 p.m. .

Pendry takes over the play-calling responsibilities.

Because the Texans have a bye week, Pendry has two weeks to prepare for the next game at unbeaten Cincinnati.

Pendry, a long-time NFL coach, who was offensive coordinator at Carolina and Buffalo, will try to develop some consistency in an offense that has been unproductive against the Bills and Steelers, the two-best defensive teams in the NFL last season.

Interestingly, Pendry was fired by Capers after the 1997 season at Carolina. Although, it was never confirmed, there was specualtion that Panthers owner Jerry Richardson made Capers fire Pendry, who was under fire because his offense was too conservative and unimaginative.

the wonger need food
09-19-2005, 12:14 PM
It's a start.

Bear
09-19-2005, 12:14 PM
YAAAAAAAY! Something to cheer about!

:jumpbanan

the wonger need food
09-19-2005, 12:17 PM
"Interestingly, Pendry was fired by Capers after the 1997 season at Carolina. Although, it was never confirmed, there was specualtion that Panthers owner Jerry Richardson made Capers fire Pendry, who was under fire because his offense was too conservative and unimaginative. "

It might get worse???

non natural texan
09-19-2005, 12:17 PM
"Interestingly, Pendry was fired by Capers after the 1997 season at Carolina. Although, it was never confirmed, there was specualtion that Panthers owner Jerry Richardson made Capers fire Pendry, who was under fire because his offense was too conservative and unimaginative"

Oh don't worry you guys will have something to complain about in 13 days. :)

non natural texan
09-19-2005, 12:18 PM
haha you beat me to it... but thats just because I'm a slow typer.

hackitorcrackit
09-19-2005, 12:19 PM
Yeah! All we need to do is hire a better one! Oh, and get rid of Carr.

Double Barrel
09-19-2005, 12:20 PM
It's going to get worse. We, unfortunately, are the worst team in the NFL.

playoff year please
09-19-2005, 12:21 PM
Allthough I am not much of a Palmer fan, Capers needs to go. The offense does much better when they pass more not less. Palmer is run and shoot. Capers runs the ball until he punts and is probably going to start punting on third down so he won't have to pass.

PapaL
WOW! To bad it wasnt Capers. Heres to next week....HOU vs. BYE - I hear BYE is now favored by 14.

HardKnockTexan
I guess now we will all be able to tell if it was Capers over riding Palmer or Palmer just being really really bad at his job. Either way, if Pendry doesnt succeed then we can count on Capers being the next head to roll.

Reddevil63
09-19-2005, 12:23 PM
I guess now we will all be able to tell if it was Capers over riding Palmer or Palmer just being really really bad at his job. Either way, if Pendry doesnt succeed then we can count on Capers being the next head to roll.
Thats how I see it...

playoff year please
09-19-2005, 12:23 PM
Hopefully Capers was left on the job to fire Palmer and now they will fire Capers.

non natural texan
09-19-2005, 12:26 PM
Nah, I always figured that if they fired Capers, Palmer would take over. Actually thats what I was hoping to happen and Palmer would just be an interm Head Coach.

Dre_80
09-19-2005, 12:27 PM
FINALLY! Thank god... :yahoo:

aj.
09-19-2005, 12:27 PM
Band aids are useless when you're bleeding to death.

PapaL
09-19-2005, 12:32 PM
And the first shoe drops.... :BananaWav

afanwithaplan
09-19-2005, 12:34 PM
This is kinda like having a flat tire, and discovering your spare is flat. But what the hel#$,
you put the spare on anyway! Great choice there DOM... Note to Charlie... if you think
changing the name of the OC is all it takes to appease the fan base, your name may be the
next one the Texans should change! Remember that the fans are watching and if we don't
see blocking, play variety, and motivation you will here about quickly.

Note to Dom.. stop making excuses.. Get pissed off! (you should be next if things continue)
Note to Carr... don't give up yet
Note to Dunta... Thanks

This team needs increased dimension, and heart. Find it!

:bomb:

Rightnow
09-19-2005, 12:36 PM

You got it! McNair did this to see what Capers does on his own. If he turns it around then he stays, if we have a losing record he goes.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

HardKnockTexan
09-19-2005, 12:36 PM
Note to Dom.. stop making excuses.. Get pissed off! (you should be next if things continue)

Oh he will be next... not to worry. :drool:

Austin_Texans_Fan
09-19-2005, 12:37 PM
While I am happy that changes are being made I also am not very confident in its out come.

We have just handed over the entire offense to the person responsible for our offensive line!!!

Gee, I want who the next one to get the ax will be?? :challenge

Exascor
09-19-2005, 12:38 PM
I'd rather have an OC that believes in the HC's gameplan than one who believes in almost the polar opposite.

Good move Mr Mcnair.

GP
09-19-2005, 12:39 PM
What a con job.

We've been had....again.

I'm not happy. Not the least bit.

Capers AND Palmer should have both been fired at the same time.

This just prolongs our misery. The guy sitting up in the booth shouldn't be the first coach to get the axe. Capers is the HEAD coach, and he either is not overriding Palmer's playcalling, or he is.

Judging by the two guys' track record, I would say that Capers has been overriding the playcalling a lot.

I envision the successful plays being called by Palmer and "approved of" by Capers before the play makes it to the QB, and I see those three TE sets where we run it for one yard being Capers' calls. Each time we had success with a great play call, Capers probably then inserted his own playcalling during the next few plays to try and see if HIS playcalling would work, too.

Palmer is "said" to be a guy who wants to open up the book and pass the ball more, and Capers is "said" to be the conservative grandpa who can be counted on for a run right up the gut.

Which has been successful, and which has not?

Who calls the run up the gut on 3rd and forever and who calls the fake reverse and TD throw to DD?

Hmmmmmm?

This was a mercy killing, and Capers is getting one last shot. If Pendry got fired for being too conservative, we are in for blowouts BIG TIME.

Ya'll can be happy if you want.

Only one of those two guys in the story (Capers) should have been fired first and foremost. If Capers gets axed a few games later, then I'll be happy and I will see that they had to fire Palmer before Capers for procedure's sake.

But this is not making me any happier. Whoop-dee-do.

ledzeppelin229
09-19-2005, 12:40 PM
This is all about Capers pointing the finger at a scapegoat to save his *** a little longer. He better hope the team does a 180 in the next couple games.

PapaL
I feel bad, but this has really made my day. Front office noticing our team is sucking, someone gets fired. I feel bad Palmer got fired, but happy to see someone doing something. Good luck elsewhere Chris! Dont worry, Dom is right behind you.

BREAZE
I guess McMair is not a true fan because he is disgusted with the team's performance so far...lol!

I would assume Pendry is a temporary replacement until seasons end. McNair is sending a message to the coaches, players, and fans.

This won't fix anything, but its a great sign from the owner and I would expect this is the beginning of things to come throughout the season as well as during the off season.

This season was over before it started...

aj.
09-19-2005, 12:41 PM
I'd rather have an OC that believes in the HC's gameplan than one who believes in almost the polar opposite.

Good move Mr Mcnair.

So now we'll see three tight ends all the time instead of three tight ends on one play followed by four wides on the next. I hated the inconsistency.

HardKnockTexan
09-19-2005, 12:43 PM
I believe the only reason Capers still has a job is because of the extreme amount of retooling this team would have to go through to even field a team. Not that we fielded much of a team over the past two weeks anyways. If Pendry is just as unsuccessful as Palmer then I'm sure Capers will be out of here as fast as you can say...

GO TEXANS!

rafterticket
09-19-2005, 12:44 PM
"Interestingly, Pendry was fired by Capers after the 1997 season at Carolina. Although, it was never confirmed, there was specualtion that Panthers owner Jerry Richardson made Capers fire Pendry, who was under fire because his offense was too conservative and unimaginative. "

It might get worse???"

"We have just handed over the entire offense to the person responsible for our offensive line!!!"

This is what I was thinking.

"Capers AND Palmer should have both been fired at the same time."

No. They've been blaming each other for awhile. They owed it to see who was right and Dom was the guy they hired.

Austin_Texans_Fan
09-19-2005, 12:46 PM
Good. Now we'll see three tight ends all the time instead of three tight ends on one play followed by four wides on the next. I hated the inconsistency.

Let him run the offense with the 3 TEs all he wants to, he will be signing his death warrant.

I think the fan base, for the most part, has been patient last few years but the regression to an expansion team is simply unacceptable.

aj.
09-19-2005, 12:48 PM
It was thinly veiled sarcasm.

Austin_Texans_Fan
09-19-2005, 12:49 PM
It was thinly veiled sarcasm.

Yeah, I got that. :goodnight

HoustonFan
09-19-2005, 12:50 PM
*Sigh. Well, it's a start. I do agree that Pendry may just be interim. Supposedly he was able to help Buffalo get to the playoffs when Wade Phillips was coaching there. Capers was able to do that for Carolina one time as well. So I'm just gonna wait and see what happens. WAKEY, WAKEY TEXANS!!!!! Time to step up your game. Jobs are on the line.

Texans Pride
09-19-2005, 12:50 PM
I guess McMair is not a true fan because he is disgusted with the team's performance so far...lol!

I just spit soup lol

GP
09-19-2005, 12:52 PM
(Groan)

(Moan)

(Sigh)

How in the world Capers survived this, I would love to know.

Would someone please write his name down on the slip of paper at Tribal Council?

:survivor:

playoff year please
09-19-2005, 12:54 PM
(Groan)

(Moan)

(Sigh)

Would someone please write his name down on the slip of paper at Tribal Council?

We should all call for Capers job also. We pay for the right to call the Texans phone lines.

BREAZE
09-19-2005, 12:55 PM
*Sigh. Well, it's a start. I do agree that Pendry may just be interim. Supposedly he was able to help Buffalo get to the playoffs when Wade Phillips was coaching there. Capers was able to do that for Carolina one time as well. So I'm just gonna wait and see what happens. WAKEY, WAKEY TEXANS!!!!! Time to step up your game. Jobs are on the line.

Pendry being temporary only makes since. Typically and O-line coach does not get promoted when the O-line is as bad as it is. McNair is basically sending a message that a chimp couldn't do any worse...

swtbound07
09-19-2005, 01:00 PM
on the bright side, this will settle the debate of "is palmers being overridden by capers". Not anymore! See ya chris, Capers is an 0-6 start behind you

touttail
09-19-2005, 01:01 PM
Casserly is the GM and does the firing, not Capers. Capers said they would have to look at the game film and evaluate.

bobby 119C

BREAZE
09-19-2005, 01:02 PM
(Groan)

(Moan)

(Sigh)

Guys, you can't fire all the coaches at once. You would then have a new playbook to write, learn, a preseason would be certainly needed, etc...wait, we have 14 games left. My bad, fire them all...lol!

playoff year please
09-19-2005, 01:04 PM
Guys, you can't fire all the coaches at once. You would then have a new playbook to write, learn, a preseason would be certainly needed, etc...wait, we have 14 games left. My bad, fire them all...lol!
We can't do worse than they are right now. Fire them all including the waterboy and if that doesn't work, we get the first draft pick. All is not lost. Bring back Bum, so he can finally kick that door in.

TexansNFL
09-19-2005, 01:07 PM
Capers should be next. After the second season, Pitts was becoming a very solid LT and the offensive line was getting better. Then, Capers hired his buddy Pendry who was out of work. Then went to the zone blocking scheme and started to move Pitts to LG and Wand to LT. The OL has been going backwards ever since. So, how promoting Pendry is going to make us better? Pendry was fired by Carolina for his conservative and unimaginative play calling... nothing will change until we fire Capers

HardKnockTexan
09-19-2005, 01:09 PM
They just announced on ESPN the firing of Chris Palmer. When they announced that Offensive Line coach Joe Pendry will be replacing him, they all laughed.... OUCH!

TheOgre
09-19-2005, 01:12 PM
Before this season started, I wrote in one of these threads that I thought Palmer would be the scapegoat and the first to go. Initially I thought it would be after this season. After these first two weeks, I began to wonder if it would happen immediately. I even told a co-worker I thought he would get fired during the bye. This clearly shows me that Capers is in the hot seat. I'm thinking we have to go at least 8-6 down the stretch for Capers to keep his job. Does anyone think we can do it?

Meisterman
09-19-2005, 01:13 PM
Personally....the booing in yesterday's game probably got McNair's attention more than anything. When the paying season ticket owners have had enough...a smart owner will listen.

I hope further changes are in order. I sure don't think much of our defensive coordinator. The pass rush is pathetic.

Maybe ...just maybe we'll see a little urgency now translated onto the field.
:pigfly:

HardKnockTexan
09-19-2005, 01:13 PM
This clearly shows me that Capers is in the hot seat. I'm thinking we have to go at least 8-6 down the stretch for Capers to keep his job. Does anyone think we can do it?

Do pigs fly? :pigfly:

swtbound07
09-19-2005, 01:14 PM
Career died, do you think they gave him a 21-run salute?

False Start
09-19-2005, 01:16 PM

exactly !

Im so glad to see this guy gone ! Now lets get rid of Dom Wayne and we'll be alright .

playoff year please
09-19-2005, 01:16 PM
Personally....the booing in yesterday's game probably got McNair's attention more than anything. When the paying season ticket owners have had enough...a smart owner will listen.

I hope further changes are in order. I sure don't think much of our defensive coordinator. The pass rush is pathetic.

Maybe ...just maybe we'll see a little urgency now translated onto the field.
:pigfly:
Man do I agree! McNair is a smart owner. The booing is important. I also believe he hears from his employees answering the phones. He did last year when he gava an award to the fight song writers and then kicked it out after we spoke are peace. Call for Capers job people.

touttail
09-19-2005, 01:17 PM
21 run salute-----

Nope, just 1st down run, 2nd down run, 3rd down scramble, and 4th down punt.

bobby 119C :brickwall

HoustonFan
09-19-2005, 01:18 PM
Texans - 4th season, should be getting it right.
City of Houston - WANTS THIS TEAM CONTENDING AND WINNING, RIGHT NOW!!!!! We don't want to wait another year or two although if they were winning from here on out that would be great.

TigerV1
09-19-2005, 01:19 PM
Until we get rid of both Capers and Casserly, we are just putting a band aid on the problem.

TheOgre
09-19-2005, 01:19 PM
Do pigs fly? :pigfly:
Agree. Capers better get his resume ready too.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
09-19-2005, 01:20 PM
don't let the door hit you on your way out

playoff year please
09-19-2005, 01:21 PM
21 run salute-----

Nope, just 1st down run, 2nd down run, 3rd down scramble, and 4th down punt.

bobby 119C :brickwall
Lets be safe....Throwing could be intercepted, and we don't want turnovers....Lets 1st run 2nd run 3rd punt. This way our punter has a run option, then if he runs we can punt on 4th. :yahoo:

BlueBull40oz
09-19-2005, 01:21 PM
I dont think this was the answer.
Ive heard Palmer wanted to be more aggressive, but was forced to conform to Capers "ball control" type offense. I thought the offense should take more chances, and not rely so heavily on the running game to open up the passing game so much.

Since the game was such a blow out I listened to 790am yesterday.
The national media was reporting:
David Carr is on the hot seat!!!
"The Texans are getting WORSE and not better"

playoff year please
09-19-2005, 01:23 PM
Ive heard Palmer wanted to be more aggressive, but was forced to conform to Capers "ball control" type offense. I thought the offense should take more chances, and not rely so heavily on the running game to open up the passing game so much.

Since the game was such a blow out I listened to 790am yesterday.
The national media was reporting:
David Carr is on the hot seat!!!
"The Texans are getting WORSE and not better"
So true. The Texans move the ball more when they throw on first down. IMO. The reports were that Palmer was doing what he was told to do by Capers.

BREAZE
09-19-2005, 01:25 PM

Guys, its a message...not the answer.

HardKnockTexan
09-19-2005, 01:27 PM

so true. wonder who gets the next "message???"

tsip
09-19-2005, 01:27 PM
This I've got to see! Pendry was fired by Capers at Carolina for being conservative and unimaginative, just like the Texans offense. Two different OC, same HC-guess who really ran/runs these offenses?? Too, both Palmer and Pendry have been sucessful OC's under other head coaches, where they actually functioned as the OC. I don't know who replaced Pendry at Carolina but he obviously didn't work out since Capers was fired at the end of that season.

Now, here's the good part--either Capers swallows a big chunk of ego and lets Pendry really be the OC or he will be 'outta here.'...stay tuned!! :drool: :yahoo:

BREAZE
09-19-2005, 01:30 PM
The more you start to chew on this the funnier it gets. I love McNair...he is a savy as they come! What a message!

I would be suprised if both Capers and Pendry make it to season's end though.

Hervoyel
09-19-2005, 01:34 PM

Yeah, but "the message" tells me that Bob McNair doesn't even understand where the problem is much less how to fix it. There have been few things in our teams short history that I found less comforting than watching them pretend that getting rid of Chris Palmer was the right thing to do.

I'm as disgusted today as I was last week when they lost to Buffalo. I didn't get disgusted yesterday at the game no matter how much I tried. I just couldn't muster up the necessary emotion to do so.

SBTexans08
09-19-2005, 01:35 PM
bout damn time!!! Definitely a message, no answer!!

HardKnockTexan
09-19-2005, 01:35 PM
Yeah, but "the message" tells me that Bob McNair doesn't even understand where the problem is much less how to fix it. There have been few things in our teams short history that I found less comforting than watching them pretend that getting rid of Chris Palmer was the right thing to do.

I'm as disgusted today as I was last week when they lost to Buffalo. I didn't get disgusted yesterday at the game no matter how much I tried. I just couldn't muster up the necessary emotion to do so.

so McNair should of done nothing. Just let us field the poor excuse for a team the remainder of the season....
right?

BREAZE
09-19-2005, 01:37 PM

Yea, the outcome was a lot like the playcalling...

TexansFanatic
09-19-2005, 01:39 PM
There's something at the heart of all this that really pains me to think about. This organization (the Texans) is perhaps deeply flawed at its very core. When a head coach is not allowed to choose his own offensive coordinator at the outset, one who reflects his own philosophy, the team is ultimately doomed to suffer this kind of result. A conservative system can work brilliantly if you have the proper personnel and adhere to the philosophy from start to finish. An aggressive, wide open attack can work brilliantly if you have the proper personnel and adhere to the philosophy from start to finish. But to put a head coach with a conservative mindset together with an offensive coordinator with the opposite mindset, you are condemning that organization to failure. I think very highly of Charley Casserly, but I feel he should have allowed Capers to hire his own guy from the beginning.....

Texans 533
09-19-2005, 01:41 PM
Just heard (here at work) that Palmer's been fired.... can anyone confirm??

Double Barrel
09-19-2005, 01:44 PM
yep, go to the Bull Pen for more details and news article links.

Hervoyel
09-19-2005, 01:45 PM
so McNair should of done nothing. Just let us field the poor excuse for a team the remainder of the season....
right?

McNair should have sent Capers packing, let Palmer run it on an interim basis for the rest of the season, and then decided which direction to go at the end of the year. We've seen three whole seasons of Dom-Ball. They told us it was our limited expansion playbook but it was really what our offense was supposed to be all along.

Bring on the losing streak. To paraphrase Jack Nicholson in Batman; "This team needs an enema!"

Wharton
09-19-2005, 01:46 PM
Just heard (here at work) that Palmer's been fired.... can anyone confirm??

Wrong Board for this post :tomato:

DefLord
09-19-2005, 01:47 PM
Why not just bring in Jack Pardee - maybe he can set up the Run and SHoot like the good ole Gambler days! God I miss Jim Kelly and his Run and Shoot crew!

playoff year please
09-19-2005, 01:49 PM
Why not just bring in Jack Pardee - maybe he can set up the Run and SHoot like the good ole Gambler days! God I miss Jim Kelly and his Run and Shoot crew!
As long as your not woried about clock management. Run and shoot would work with Carr and Davis. Our receivers, backs and quarterback are made for run and shoot.

beerlover
09-19-2005, 01:50 PM
bottom line Palmer was frustrated with Carr and the offensive inability to exacute his game planning. its much easier to replace the offensive cordinator than the franchise QB. I saw the shot gun offense several times, which I like with Carr (gives him time to read the defense better & OL to create the protection) but he refused to stay in the pocket or step up into the hole his linemen created to complete the play. for this Palmer gets the ax :deadhorse

pv1999
09-19-2005, 01:52 PM
So I guess the question must be Matt or Reggie?
Or is there another college player who could be drafted to build around.
We can make it to the Superbowl by 2010 if we start over now.

bckey
09-19-2005, 01:57 PM
Nah, I always figured that if they fired Capers, Palmer would take over. Actually thats what I was hoping to happen and Palmer would just be an interm Head Coach.

Thats what I wanted too.

the wonger need food
09-19-2005, 01:57 PM
So I guess the question must be Matt or Reggie?
Or is there another college player who could be drafted to build around.

Vince Young. Oh wait... He wouldn't fit our system because he's too fast.

HardKnockTexan
09-19-2005, 02:00 PM
Vince Young. Oh wait... He wouldn't fit our system because he's too fast.

Think Vince Young will play QB in the NFL??? I'm betting he ends up at WR.

BREAZE
09-19-2005, 02:05 PM

Still too early to tell, but I think he is proving he can be an effective QB the more he matures. He is one heck of a competitor...

the wonger need food
09-19-2005, 02:07 PM

Should I assume that you haven't watched the guy play?

The guy is a winner, playmaker, leader... plus every other intangible quality you can think of.

pv1999
09-19-2005, 02:09 PM
Bye Chris go ruin some other teams Offense. :BananaWav

Is it Chris or Dom? Will Joe last longer here than he did with Dom the first time?
I am beginning to believe that it is Dom. Which I hate because I like the guy.

HardKnockTexan
09-19-2005, 02:10 PM

The guy is a winner, playmaker, leader... plus every other intangible quality you can think of.

I think the guy's great. I just see a lack of arm strength and accuracy to be an NFL QB. He seems more like a Matt Jones kinnda guy than a Mike Vick kinnda guy... but I'm not an NFL scout...

pv1999
09-19-2005, 02:13 PM

He is an arm away from being the Texas Vick. But in the league he will have to have that arm.
Vince Young is the polar opposite of Drew Bledsoe but Drew has the one thing that teams pay for and thats the arm.

Dionysus22
09-19-2005, 02:16 PM
Vince would be sweet but remember, he's only a junior. He might come out early if they win the national championship this year. I like Reggie but Matt is no slouch either.

If Vince stays, I say we go o-line this off-season and draft (like we should have done this off-season) and if David still can't get it done, we go after Vince in the '07 draft. Or dare I say, Marcus Vick... :hmmm:

U4ikrob
09-19-2005, 02:18 PM
It's funny watching all of this play out much like I said back in the off-season - yet back then I was harrased and put down by people here for being a bad/chicken little fan and stating what I saw. I said that unless some serious changes start happening and the FO starts stepping up and doing whats necessary to make this team better and get the playmakers here who can play/spend the money we have to get better players or trade for better things would start going downhill fast. That the O-line was a disaster area and still needed serious help so bad the Owner stated that thigns needed to be fixed and if they ignored him somebody would be fired. That if they continued to ignore everything this team will underperform and people will start loosing their jobs before mid-season to get peoples attention. That the man who pays the checks was not a bad fan and even he said - You better do a better job next year to protect DC.

I said I hoped they would prove me wrong and that I was not being doom & Gloom, but realistic.

The coaches and FO only have themselves to blame and so here comes the fingerpointing.

2 games into the 05 Regular season and were now 1-6 dating back to the last game of 2004. Yes I count pre-season, because its still a game, its still live game reps, and as a fact of life I know extremely well - You perform 99% just like you practice. So The texans 1-3 thru pre-season showed me just how bad they were then, yet All of these coaches did and could not seem to recognize this even then.

Too close to the fire perhaps?? Who knows -THe score now though is The Texans 2005 season is the Team is O for 2 and has 1 coach down, and 1 starter down for the year and 2 other staretrs benched in a game. An anemic Offense thats produced goose eggs more than points and a defense so porous and outmanned they look like high school ballers. IMO looks like a few more coaches will go soon too esp if they dont wake up and start doing there jobs a whole lot better. I honestly put the last 2 performances more on the staff's shoulders for underpreparing the team and bad playcalling. Sure it goes along with a bad team outing. But 1 win in 7 games? Thats a philosophy problem. I think some players have lost serious confidence in the coaches abilities to do their jobs at this point.

I'm no NFL Guru mind you, but I am smart enough to realize the truth of the matters in business and the writing on the wall. Having played football I can recognize a lack of talent when I see one and a lack of coaching when it's not there. Right now were lacking on talent in some places for sure, but our coaching has just been plain pathetic for too long and left un-checked has just went to crud IMO. They have lost the respect and confidence of their players. Now IMO the rest of the staff has 2 weeks to get their shiz together or they may be joining Mr. Palmer in the unemployment line pretty soon.

edited - pre-season info

Tenacious G
09-19-2005, 02:18 PM
i've been a die-hard fan since the Texans' inaugural year and shared frustrations with many of you as the team endured its growing pains. although i've disowned the teams on many occassions only to realize my mistake minutes later, i always had faith that the ownership and management had a solid plan to build the team ... except for one area.

i never was sold that Chris Palmer was the answer at OC. after seeing the poor job he did as Cleveland's head coach, i was surprised and somewhat offended the Texans hired him. while the offense shows flashes of brilliance at times, i feel that's more a result of good athletes rather than good play calling.

nothing personal against Palmer, but i just don't feel he was the right man for the job. best of luck to him in the future.

that being said, i feel a new sense of optimism for this year. things might get worse before they get better, but hopefully this change will be the catalyst the Texans need to get on the right track.

i also hope this lights the fire under Capers, Fangio and crew that they could be next.

Nawzer
09-19-2005, 02:21 PM
Wow! I just logged on to the internet today and I find out that Palmer was fired! I for am glad that atleast something is being done instead of nothing. I don't know but after watching yesterday's game I was wondering if our coaching staff is blind or what?! They kept on running the ball right up the middle of the Steelers defense. After a while you have to realize that you can't keep making plays for one or two yards but that didn't stop Capers or Palmer from doing the same thing. I'm afraid though that Palmer is one of the problems in this team and before this season ends I'm betting on more changes to come for this team.

Htown34s
09-19-2005, 02:23 PM
2 games into the 05 Regular season and were now 0-7 dating back to the last game of 2004. Yes I count pre-season, because its still a game, its still live game reps, and as a fact of life I know extremely well - You perform 99% just like you practice. So The texans 0-4 thru pre-season showed me just how bad they were then, yet the coaches couldnt recognize this even then.

We weren't 0-4 this preseason. Remember the Raider game?

TheOgre
09-19-2005, 02:25 PM
Young will be a WR in the NFL. He is not a pro QB.

Young might be able to be a pro QB if he stays at Texas for his senior year. He has zero shot of that if he comes out after this year.

pebblescds
09-19-2005, 02:26 PM

It might get worse???
Well I'm glad to see that McNair got the ball rolling, I am going to hope for Capers sake that he now "gets it." He has been very passive about the way the Texans have regressed since late last season. He now has to be pro-active if he wants to keep his job. Stop standing up and finding "good things we did" and figure out how to stop the mistakes and strive for excellence. He's got 10 games to prove himself worthy of the job, I say 10 because by week 12 McNair will be eyeing surfire replacements and under the table interviewing. I don't think he waits (as we saw today) til the ship is completely sunk, he doesn't want Houston to lose faith and hope in its team. We craved football, and he fought to bring it back, I indeed feel that he will work as hard as any owner to acheive a good product for the fans.

Carr is our leader, Davis, Robinson, and Johnson are our soldiers. :texans:

U4ikrob
09-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Thanks H-town - edited my post

Vinny
09-19-2005, 02:30 PM
Young will be a WR in the NFL. He is not a pro QB.
Young will play QB in the NFL. Im sure of it.

the wonger need food
09-19-2005, 02:34 PM

Hopefully in Battle Red and Steel Blue!

Ihategeeks
09-19-2005, 02:35 PM
I hope the Lions every single one of their coaches except for Special teams at some point.

Good Move guys

gwallaia
09-19-2005, 02:41 PM
I wonder how soon the Fire Pendrythreads will start?

Exascor
09-19-2005, 02:41 PM
I wonder how soon the Fire Pendrythreads will start?Oct 2nd around 12:15ish

Diehardtexan
09-19-2005, 02:42 PM
Palmer complicated the offense so bad that Carr had to wear a wrest band to have the plays written on it. When you can't remember the plays that you need them on your wrest to read them before you call them you might as well be a rookie all over again.

HardKnockTexan
09-19-2005, 02:44 PM
Palmer complicated the offense so bad that Carr had to wear a wrest band to have the plays written on it. When you can't remember the plays that you need them on your wrest to read them before you call them you might as well be a rookie all over again.

Every QB in the league has a wrist band with the plays on it.

Diehardtexan
09-19-2005, 02:44 PM
I wonder how soon the Fire Pendrythreads will start?
If he doesn't simplify the play calling and starts to air it out a little, the fire Pendry threads will be out as soon as the bye week. We are not even going to wait for the first game back to start this.

Diehardtexan
09-19-2005, 02:49 PM
Every QB in the league has a wrist band with the plays on it.
Name one that you saw the first two weeks. If you can't remember that the darn play is a run and the next one is a run then the third one after a sack is a pass to a well coverd WR then you don't need to be in this league. every fan on this board can tell you what play is coming next except for the players on our offense. Either we are sooooooooooo smart or the players are sooooooooooooooooooooo dump.

Dubya
09-19-2005, 02:50 PM
I hope the Lions every single one of their coaches except for Special teams at some point.

Good Move guys

Not to be a grammar jerk or anything, but I think you're missing a verb between "Lions" and "every." I assume you intended to use the verb "fire." Am I right?

I think that releasing Palmer was the right thing to do. Don't worry, this will probably result in the firing of Capers and Fangio (and maybe Casserly) at the end of the season. I think it's easier for McNair to make a sacrificial firing now and appease us bloodthirsty fans than to the fire all of those responsible now or to wait until the end of the season before making any moves. If things stay the same or, Lord forbid, get worse, we might see some other shakeups in the leadership. I know a lot of you want to see everybody get canned now, and I can understand that. However, McNair has "office politics" and personnel issues to consider as well as the onfeild performance when making that decision.

pebblescds
09-19-2005, 02:52 PM
Allthough I am not much of a Palmer fan, Capers needs to go. The offense does much better when they pass more not less. Palmer is run and shoot. Capers runs the ball until he punts and is probably going to start punting on third down so he won't have to pass.

Dom Capers isnt the guy for the Texans, he is a Loser, and by that I mean he has loser's mentality and it has crept into the mentality of our players. He plays not to lose the game, and not as Herm Edwards says "to win the game!" Lets get good field position all game long punt, punt, punt, get one TD, and 3 FG and we win the game. That is for losers! This is why he got fired previously, we need a young head coach who is willing to take some chances, and put together a tough I say TOUGH defense. Did anyone see Buchanon not try to tackle Parker when he waltzed in for a TD. What was that? I wish we had Jack Del Rio/Jim Mora/Herm Edwards, they get the most outta their players regardless of so called talent (which we all seem to think is just overflowing in Houston???) Did you know that Pendry is the only coach on staff for the Texans w/ Pro Playing experience? That worries me about our staff. All I can say is he can't be worse. I'd rather go back to running every damn play than David getting sacked 13 times in 2 games? Wouldn't you...we're Not making the playoffs so get it out of your mind but we could finish a respectable 6-10 or maybe 8-8, which would still be an improvement over and witstanding everything that's gone wrong. Right now the the worst team in the NFL are the Texans, we have no contiunity, comfort, identity, or stability. There's no where to go but Up, I think we can now at least become COMPETITIVE. That's the most important factor, will we compete, not just lay down like we have in the last 4 games going back to last season. Pendry will be looking to replace Capers, if he does a decent job at revamping the offense at all I think he will have a shot. If we run/control the clock/ playaction pass/ short/hot routes, we will be far far better, and more entertaining to watch. Capers said himself the Steelers are what we want to be. I'd love to see Domanick/Johnathan/Morency running out the clock every game, then David throws a 30yder to AJ. Go Pendry!!! :texflag:

Dubya
09-19-2005, 03:00 PM
I clicked on the "Churrascos Cut of the Game" link on the Texans home page, and oddly enough, it didn't link to a picture of Chris Palmer.

SheTexan
09-19-2005, 03:04 PM
Name one that you saw the first two weeks.

Tom Brady

HardKnockTexan
09-19-2005, 03:08 PM
Name one that you saw the first two weeks. If you can't remember that the darn play is a run and the next one is a run then the third one after a sack is a pass to a well coverd WR then you don't need to be in this league. every fan on this board can tell you what play is coming next except for the players on our offense. Either we are sooooooooooo smart or the players are sooooooooooooooooooooo dump.

Ben Rothleasefasdf, Tom Brady, Payton Manning, Bryron Leftwhich, Drew Bledsoe, Donavan McNabb, Mike Vick, Drew Breese, Chad Pennington... I can go on and on and on... should I name the back ups too? maybe the 3rd string QB's as well??

rmartin65
09-19-2005, 03:10 PM
There is hope!!

Texizgreat
09-19-2005, 03:18 PM
:yahoo: Texans fire offensive coordinator Palmer :yahoo:

Thank The lord above

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4886494

Now we have a chance :texflag:

TEXANS84
09-19-2005, 03:19 PM
You're about 4 hours late.

Tulip
09-19-2005, 03:19 PM
Vince Young won the Ohio State game in the air. He improves every week, and I am confident he will play QB at the pro level.

SESupergenius
09-19-2005, 03:20 PM
After what I saw yesterday, the line was as much the problem as the Carr's happy feat and Palmer's 3 TE sets. I can't say I'm happy about the firing, there has been just way to many inconsistancies throughout our existance. The implosion started way back in the offseason however. There are just too many factors to blame just one aspect of our team, both offensive and defensive. Casserly should be next as he to me is the number 1 factor in the quality of athletes we have.

Let's get behind Pendy, our season depends on it.

HomeBred_Texan
09-19-2005, 03:21 PM
I am still not certain the problem was Palmer. But at least we will know for sure in 2 weeks...

Was it just me or did anyone else notice that Carr was too quick to run out of the "pocket"? Why don't they run timing routes and throw to WR's down field? The game sucked, but I still didnt boo the players yet as some were...

Brewer16
Well, it's a start

Tulip
:yahoo: Texans fire offensive coordinator Palmer :yahoo:

Thank The lord above

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4886494

Now we have a chance :texflag:

A chance to do what? Exist in a perpetual state of mediocrity? No thanks.

tsip
09-19-2005, 03:23 PM
I think the guy's great. I just see a lack of arm strength and accuracy to be an NFL QB. He seems more like a Matt Jones kinnda guy than a Mike Vick kinnda guy... but I'm not an NFL scout...

...needs to improve accuracy but he can throw the ball 80yds

Tulip
09-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Dom Capers isnt the guy for the Texans, he is a Loser, and by that I mean he has loser's mentality and it has crept into the mentality of our players. He plays not to lose the game, and not as Herm Edwards says "to win the game!"

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has believes strongly in the psychological component of the Texans' problems. Playing not to lose is what will keep us from ever achieving anything great.

HardKnockTexan
09-19-2005, 03:25 PM
...needs to improve accuracy but he can throw the ball 80yds

It just seems like his ball is slow to arive... kinnda floats on him. He is one of my favorite players at the college level and I think he'll be fine in the NFL no matter his possition, I just hope he plays in the one that he will do best in.

El Tejano
09-19-2005, 03:25 PM
Okay so they fire the OC and replace him with the OLC?

Man they are basically handling this position like they did the offensive line.

"oh we weren't able to get the big name, but this guy can play too."

exclude
09-19-2005, 03:32 PM
If he doesn't simplify the play calling and starts to air it out a little, the fire Pendry threads will be out as soon as the bye week. We are not even going to wait for the first game back to start this.

I'm confused as to what you mean here.

The words "simplying the playcalling" and "air it out" are contradicting statements.

Passing offenses are more complex than runs, primarily since blocking assigments on a pass is generally tougher to establish than on a run.

So if the Texans were to "air it out", the offense would get more complicated.

With Pendry, the offense will be simplified, for sure. Which means more runs, less "airing it out".

fingers5
09-19-2005, 03:55 PM

Kevin Gilbride could be available at the end of the Hawaii U season

Hervoyel
09-19-2005, 04:05 PM

Wasn't that June Jones? I thought Gilbride was coaching somewhere in the NFL right now. Maybe I'm wrong.

Scooter
09-19-2005, 04:06 PM
one step forward, two steps back. we're finally making changes ... YaY! now lets see if we can make the RIGHT changes. palmer was the scapegoat and seemed to me atleast to be the only one with anything resembling a clue. pendry will yes maam capers and together they'll run the ball 60 times for 40 yards until pendry is made the next scapegoat (again). capers still sits dumbfounded on the sideline, carr's still running scared, our zone defense is still completely lost, buchannon's still getting roasted, we still have zero pass rush, and our offensive line is still the worst in the league.

my appologies for not dancing with joy.

Lucky
09-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Wasn't that June Jones? I thought Gilbride was coaching somewhere in the NFL right now. Maybe I'm wrong.
You're correct. Kevin (http://www.giants.com/team/coach.asp?coach_id=5) is coaching Eli in New Jersey.

Meloy
09-19-2005, 04:15 PM
Yeah and Buddy Ryan is ready to knock that "chuck & duck" guy on his keister again. Why would you want a pass happy guy like Gilbride, when our pass blocking is so bad, we move our ALL PRO receiver into the slot so he might get 5-6 yards? AARGGH! We sign a QB that can get over 3,000 yards, a 1000 yard receiver, and Mathis for his blinding speed to play behind a line that is built for "running". If I was Carr and Johnson, I think I would sit on the bench and say "call us when you get serious".

I have been defending Capers and Palmer til this season. In spring training and the 2 regular games, the offense looked completely lost. That says COACHES to me. I followed the OILERS from the 60's and never turned the dial. Yesterday in the third quarter, I flipped over for a movie. I do not mind losing, but I refuse to watch mediocrity again. We have enough good :brickwall players to at least compete.

CanadianTitansFan
09-19-2005, 04:17 PM
I wouldn't want to be in a foxhole with Capers and Casserly. Congrats Chuck and Dom you bought yourselves a few weeks but you lost whatever respect anybody had for you in the NFL imo.

I'm no Palmer fan but this is the equivalent of the board of directors firing the warehouse managers after putting them into bankruptcy.

You start from the top down and the Texans are clearly in need of an enema.

The fans of Houston deserve better imo.

Before you have a good starting 22, you don't draft second and 3rd string QB's. Throw your franchise kid to the wolves ruining him, coach scared, give up picks for Jason Babin cauise you believe your one good pass rusher away, you weren't anywhere near a position to give up those picks...

I remember joking w/Vin on anoither board about the Texans drafting a long snapper next...and they DID!

Casserly would resign if he had any honor.

TexansFanatic
09-19-2005, 04:45 PM

No doubt about it. Anyone who says he can't play QB in the NFL either isn't watching him play or is simply a poor judge of talent.

Here is just a snippet of how his BIO reads:

in 11 career games versus Top 25 opponents, has completed 104-of-183 passes (56.8%) for 1,318 yards and four TDs, while rushing 166 times for 1,197 yards and 15 TDs Ö in all, has accounted for 2,515 yards of offense and 20 TDs in those 11 games Ö was 148-of-250 (59.2%) for 1,849 yards and 12 TDs while running 167 times for 1,079 yards and 14 TDs in 2004 Ö became the first player in UT history to pass and rush for 1,000+ yards in the same season Ö his 59.2 completion percentage was the best-ever by a UT sophomore Ö

Young's Bio Link (http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=15&change_well_id=17&member_id=106)

Read it and weep---the guy is a flat out phenomenon.

touttail
09-19-2005, 04:54 PM
Dom Capers here, can you spell "PALMER" so I can write in in my little notepad.

bobby 119C

COOL V
09-19-2005, 04:57 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Palmer isn't/wasn't the only thing wrong with this team. We still have Capers, Casserly, and Fangio. I hope Bob Mcnair can see this as a first step to greatness. Fire the three mentioned above and we're in!!! I hope Palmer wasn't fired to just buy more time for Capers.

HJam72
09-19-2005, 05:11 PM
I don't think this is going to help them at all. I think they have 2 main problems: Casserly and Capers.

TexansMVP
09-19-2005, 05:36 PM
I don't think this is going to help them at all. I think they have 2 main problems: Casserly and Capers.

I completely agree. Even w/ a new coordinator, the puppet master will still be able to pull his strings. When will the madness end. :brickwall

Dubble Trubble
09-19-2005, 05:37 PM
I hope Palmer wasn't fired to just buy more time for Capers.
When it's the HC that needs to be fired...but, they chop off the Off.Coord. first....that's exactly what is happening.

A couple of more offensive performances like that....and, Capers is on his way.

See sig.....Step #1 is complete.

:)

TexansRoll
09-19-2005, 05:55 PM
When it's the HC that needs to be fired...but, they chop off the Off.Coord. first....that's exactly what is happening.

A couple of more offensive performances like that....and, Capers is on his way.

See sig.....Step #1 is complete.

:)

Hell yeah!!

ROYDESTROY
09-19-2005, 05:57 PM

First smart move the Texans have made in awhile..Next...Capers & Casserly
:yahoo:

Mr Shush
09-19-2005, 06:40 PM
I have my doubts about Capers, but I still like Casserly. He hits on far more draft picks than he misses, which is more than can be said for the majority of personnel guys and GMs. His prominent busts have been down to injury rather than lack of talent. The poor O-line play is down to coaching, not the front office - the best O-line coaches will get solid play out of damn near any old scrubs. And before you say "So why promote Pendry?", he clearly had to go with the guy his head coach wanted, and it had to be a promotion from within. We'll go 6-10 or 7-9 (unless Carr goes down for the season and Ragone either plays like a decent back-up - likely, and leading to 4-12 - or becomes the second coming of Warner - unlikely, and leading to 10-6). Remember that we've just played two of the toughest games on our schedule, with the '9ers, Browns and Titans twice still to come, and some other winnable games too. It's only Week 3, people.

Ibar_Harry
09-19-2005, 06:46 PM
The following is from the Texan's Web Site:

"This is Pendry's 19th NFL season and second in Houston. He previously served as offensive coordinator under Capers with the Panthers from 1995-97. Carolina posted a 27-23 record with one NFC Championship Game appearance over those three seasons.

Pendry then matriculated to Buffalo, where he served as offensive coordinator for three seasons, helping the Bills average 2,041 rushing yards per season. Pendry was also Kansas City's offensive coordinator from 1989-92, helping the Chiefs reach the playoffs in three of those four seasons.

Pendry said Monday that he will stay on the sidelines as coordinator.

"I feel more comfortable," he said. "Iíve called plays for a long time in this league as a coordinator down through the years. The only time I didnít is when Dom and I were together at Carolina. Iíll be very honest with you. My personality, if Iím up in a press box, I get too excited. I scream and I yell. I can be on the sideline and I can see it. I have a better feel.

"We have an outstanding press box guy in (wide receivers coach) Kippy Brown. Heíll be my eyes there upstairs. Itís just my personality. Iím much better down there where I can see it. I have a better feel for it. Thatís the way Iíve always felt Iíve been more successful as a play caller."

All you have to do is look at what he did at Buffalo and probably KC. Do you think we are going to pass the ball and utilize our receivers. I don't think so. Looks like more of the same or even worse. This is Caper's right hand boy and he has done an amazing job with the O-line. He's done so well we are the talk of the league. I can't believe that McNair can stand around with his hands in his pocket allowing this nonsense to go on. It's shameful. This has been in the works for awhile because they blocked his interviews with other teams. Good gravely please let some other team take him away from us now. I mean may be we could pay the other team a handsome reward. I HAVE NO CONIFEDENCE IN THIS MAN AT ALL.

BigDTexansFan
09-19-2005, 06:49 PM

It might get worse???

Not likely, average age in Carolina in 1997 was 35, they had guys past their prime who had been better off being replaced with younger better talent..we in no way resemble Carolina in 1997

Bassin Texan fan
09-19-2005, 07:00 PM
after reading most of these post lets sell the team to big BUD ADAMS and change coachs every two years but i dont understand why Jeff fisher is still there .

Cheroqui
09-19-2005, 07:34 PM
Ok... Now can we see what we don't do with the offense I guess. Don't know how much you can do with the running game other than let them gel and learn what works, like waiting for blocks maybe? The passing game though... now that's what I want to watch and see if any major developements pop up.
Stretch em out and make them crack!

bigcarlos
09-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Its a start :texflag:

Tulip
09-19-2005, 08:34 PM
I hope Palmer wasn't fired to just buy more time for Capers.

We'll never know for sure, but I think that IS what happened. I think Mack Brown did the same thing to his defensive coordinator.

tsip
09-19-2005, 08:47 PM
We'll never know for sure, but I think that IS what happened. I think Mack Brown did the same thing to his defensive coordinator.

...which DC are you talking about for Brown? His one from last year left UT to become Head Coach at Syracuse...

Honoring Earl 34
09-19-2005, 08:53 PM
:fishing: We have rowed out to the middle of the lake ... ooops theres a leak somebody's gotta go. Eeeny meeeny miny moe Chris its you so now you go .

gtexan02
09-19-2005, 08:54 PM
Does this seem weird to anyone else? The absolute worst part of this team is our OL, and the coach who has been coaching them was just promoted? Strange.

gtexan02
09-19-2005, 08:55 PM
Maybe we're supposed to read between the lines and realize that pendry was fired from his job of OL coach, and temporarily put into the OC spot until someone better could be found.

Tulip
09-19-2005, 08:57 PM
...which DC are you talking about for Brown? His one from last year left UT to become Head Coach at Syracuse...

Sorry, I meant Carl Reese, not Greg Robinson.

tsip
09-19-2005, 09:00 PM
one step forward, two steps back. we're finally making changes ... YaY! now lets see if we can make the RIGHT changes. palmer was the scapegoat and seemed to me atleast to be the only one with anything resembling a clue. pendry will yes maam capers and together they'll run the ball 60 times for 40 yards until pendry is made the next scapegoat (again). capers still sits dumbfounded on the sideline, carr's still running scared, our zone defense is still completely lost, buchannon's still getting roasted, we still have zero pass rush, and our offensive line is still the worst in the league.

my appologies for not dancing with joy.

Capers has missed his calling--Used Car Salesman--whatever he has to tell McNair to keep his job, he'll do--his line of BS and ability to tell a person what they want to hear are top notch--where he fails is on delivery of his promises but that's where he starts all over again. For Capers, it is not actually putting a winning team on the field but-rather-convincing those that matter he's not at fault and winning is just around the corner...just a little more time... :yahoo:

the wonger need food
09-19-2005, 09:02 PM
There were no other options. When upper management starts to scramble for their own jobs they have to layoff middle managers to try and cover up their mistakes. Palmer was the first pawn knocked off. Expect Carr to be the next.

DocBar
09-19-2005, 09:03 PM
Maybe they should just let AJ call the plays in the huddle and see if PB can play reciever cuz he sure can't play D. Or maybe he can keep up with Carr's pacifier on the sideline. We ALL know you HAVE TO BE VERSATILE!!! i hope CC is cuz he needs to go.

fingers5
09-19-2005, 09:16 PM
[QUOTE=Meloy]Yeah and Buddy Ryan is ready to knock that "chuck & duck" guy on his keister again. Why would you want a pass happy guy like Gilbride, when our pass blocking is so bad, we move our ALL PRO receiver into the slot so he might get 5-6 yards? AARGGH! We sign a QB that can get over 3,000 yards, a 1000 yard receiver, and Mathis for his blinding speed to play behind a line that is built for "running". If I was Carr and Johnson, I think I would sit on the bench and say "call us when you get serious".[QUOTE]

Calm down big man - it's called sarcasm. My real vote would go to G. Kubiak.

Crank_It_Up
09-19-2005, 10:46 PM

yes I've seen him play.... and yes he will be an NFL quarterback, hopefully next year so Ohio State doesn't have to face him again :)

Crank_It_Up
09-19-2005, 10:54 PM
Firing Palmer was a brilliant move... a message needed to be sent to the entire organization, coaches and players. Somebody had to go, now who would be missed the least? Bingo, Palmer!

Go Texans!

TexanExile
09-19-2005, 11:53 PM
Palmer was the first pawn knocked off. Expect Carr to be the next.

Nah. If there's a next one it'll be Capers himself. You only get to push one other guy off the plane before somebody boots you out too.

Besides, if Carr were next, that would be admitting that the Texans' first overall pick in history was a bust. And that would mean someone ELSE *ahem* would be in trouble. He'll push Capers out first. 'Sides, it's cheaper to change coaches than QBs.

Notice I didn't say "smarter." I said "cheaper." Just to be clear.

Elite
09-20-2005, 12:10 AM
they might not be saying david is a bust but the word is that iternally they are. who knows we might finnaly get A Qb wich some actual college experience hell it doesnt have to be matt lionheart i rather have AJ feeley :texflag:

GP
09-20-2005, 12:40 AM
During the Saints-Giants game tonight, they showed clips of Eli Manning firing lasers down the field. Nothing fancy. Eli would drop and let the ball go almost as soon as his last drop-step hit the ground. It wasn't like he was standing in a pocket for an eternity or anything. And he was looking off receivers, etc., just doing the normal progressions an NFL QB has to make to keep the chains moving. Then, an amazing thing happened. busted up by several passing plays, the Saints defense didn't even lay a hand on Tiki Barber as he scampered into the end zone from about 10-yards out. Just as Willie Parker did to us last weekend after Ben would pick us apart with smart reads and accurate passes down the majority of the field.

And here's the meat of this story:

Suzie Kohlber, the cool sideline reporter for Monday Night Football, told Al and John upstairs that Eli's teammates were very confident in him this year, and she said (Gasp!) that Eli calls MOST of the plays himself.

What a shocker.

You mean some NFL QBs actually have the confidence of their coaches to know what's happening and make the adjustments as needed?

I thought every QB was required to let their offensive coordinator, a fat guy in a skin-tight t-shirt half-a-mile away in the nose-bleed booth, who is sipping on a Dr. Pepper and looking through a phone book-sized playbook call the play since he's so in-touch with what the QB is going through in a real game of life and death on the field where men-eating defensive players salivate over driving your helmet through your skull and down into your chest cavity.

At what point does Carr get to be a grown-up and call the majority of plays?

At what point do we take the training wheels off and let David do what a second-year guy (Eli Manning) is already doing in NEW YORK of all places, the place where disgruntled players like Plaxico go...the place where old players like Barber are running wild like Hulk-A-Mania? It ain't like the Giants are several years ahead of us in terms of talent, OK?

There is a direct correlation to the success of Peyton, who calls most of his own plays, and the early success of Eli Manning who has his team at 2-0 in only his second year of being an NFL QB.

Get whatever coordiantor you want, Mr. McNair...

At some point, David's gotta be entrusted with the majority of playcalling. Unless him running out of bounds every other play is Carr's playcalling.

I honestly do NOT know if ANY coordinator is the answer if Carr canot be entrusted to call plays and lead HIS team down the field. It kinda' starts with him, and maybe he'll get to do more playcalling now.

But, as most of you have pointed out...capers has put his "boy" Pendry in there to run the ball like it's 1996 all over again.

Good grief.............................. :bomb:

Fritz5000
09-20-2005, 01:23 AM
It's about time!!! :texflag:

Fritz5000
09-20-2005, 01:49 AM

I couldn't agree more! Dom is always standing on the sideline with a bewildered look on his face. To take it a step further, Carr is always smiling during the press conferences after embaressing losses and looking to the future. I think it would be great to see Carr get ticked every once in a while and start calling out his O-line and talking about how terrible they are, not how they have to "put this one behind them" and "prepare for next week". Let's go Carr, get MAD!!!

SESupergenius
09-20-2005, 02:23 AM
Palmer should take his share of fault for this hiddeous offensive attack. How can a SS lineup at the line of scrimmage not be accountant for? Why do we not have an audible to motion a blocker(TE) over there. That's crazy to let someone come in like that, our options at that point are few. Who's job is it to teach DD to block right?

Corrosion
09-20-2005, 03:07 AM

It might get worse???

It WILL get worse with Pendry as OC .... He likes the exact same system as our Head Coach Mr. Capers ..... This situation is much more Capers fualt that Palmers . If you think it was conservative before .... wait till week 4 . The only coach in the orginization that wanted to open it up has just been fired ..... :brickwall
Its been easy to place the blame on Palmer but Capers makes the final decision on all play calls .....So we

This is just a precursor of things to come, although I think this firing is akin to choppin' off a leg to cure a headache :confused:

Remember in the second quarter of Sunday's game .... The Texans had moved down the field by spreading the field .... Next thing ya know there are THREE TE's on the field .... That was Capers putting his mark on the situation .... :bomb:

Whats next , Is Capers going to fire Fangio because they cant generate a pass rush .... Remember who's system this is

Wonder if they could lure Sam Wysche outa Barfalo to replace ....... :tomato:

Ibar_Harry
09-20-2005, 03:38 AM
Wonder if they could lure Sam Wysche out of Buffalo to replace ....... :tomato:

Wouldn't be wonderful to have a QB who knows how to do it tuitor David. Wsche knows what he's doing, but I think he is extemely happy in Buffalo. What a wonderful thought, but I think unfortunately it just ain't going to happen while Capers or any of his staff is still with the Texans.

BigBull17
09-20-2005, 08:42 AM
they might not be saying david is a bust but the word is that iternally they are. who knows we might finnaly get A Qb wich some actual college experience hell it doesnt have to be matt lionheart i rather have AJ feeley :texflag:
AJ Feeley?Your kidding right....

Bullpen Drew
09-20-2005, 09:27 AM
I thought we should have fired Palmer long ago, but its a step in the right direction....

HJam72
09-20-2005, 11:36 AM
Before firing Palmer, McNair should've told him to call whatever plays he wanted to for at least one game and tell him his job was on the line. I just bet you the play-calling would have been drastically different. I don't know how much better the outcome of the game would've been, but I don't believe the run, run, pass, punt that most people are unhappy about, including me to a certain extent, would've happened as much.

I think Palmer has learned a lesson in choosing your employer and bosses wisely. You can't fly with your wings in a straight jacket. Of course, Palmer trying to get off the ground is a little funny. :)

tsip
09-20-2005, 03:41 PM
"75% of his throws are dump throws to the TE and RB"

...an imagination is a good thing, right?

Scottyboy
09-20-2005, 05:59 PM
See i told you vinny!! Finally we got rid of one, one more to go!!

Please Please Please Fire Dom!! Hes the worse coatch by far!!

Pete Carrol will be great!!! how cool would that be! :texflag: