PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Change ?

SPRBWL
09-11-2005, 11:19 PM
Do we change our coaches now and plan for the future or do wait till next year and risk someone getting hurt BAD?

Elite
09-11-2005, 11:22 PM
well i would say make a change but who i guess we just ride out the storm knowing there's better things to come. im sure mister mcnair hates losing and im sure he will apply enough pressure to have something done at the end of the season if not a whole new front office as well.

V Man
09-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Coaching change now but not Capers. Palmer needs to go and then maybe Capers and Fanigo will realize it is time to wake up and start being more aggressive.

htownhitman
09-11-2005, 11:31 PM
How about an option to change coaches at mid-season?

bckey
09-11-2005, 11:31 PM
Promote Hoke.

HoustonFan
09-11-2005, 11:37 PM
The score does not show it - enough, anyway - but this was a horrible loss. Play calling was what it has been, bad. Looking back on pre-season I believe there were some questionable cuts - Sloan Thomas, Reggie Swinton, Corey Sears - these guys either have or were probably going to make an impact on this team.

Bottomline McNair, we want this team to win.

HoustonFan
09-11-2005, 11:39 PM
Promote Hoke.

He seems to be the most animated of the coaching staff. Too animated. Hoke has my vote.

See the kind of coach Jeff Fisher turned out to be when he was promoted.

Elite
09-11-2005, 11:41 PM
i honestly think the team was playing not loose by anymore than what the score was i think thats why they punted both times on fourth down i guess they tought 22-7 was respectable. :rolleyes:

jmlockett
09-11-2005, 11:48 PM
when you get used to losing its all down hill then

BuffSoldier
09-11-2005, 11:55 PM
Changing coaches in the middle of the season wouldnt do any good, because the Texans would have to learn a whole new offense, so I can wait till the end of the season.

HoustonFan
09-12-2005, 12:08 AM
Where is the fire, intensity and heart to win on this team?

SPRBWL
09-12-2005, 12:14 AM
Where is the fire, intensity and heart to win on this team?

What fire? Are you kidding? Did you see the look on Capers face throughout the whole game? He looked dumber than a bag of hammers :embarrass

Corrosion
09-12-2005, 12:46 AM
My vote goes to the Water Boy for Head Coach .... He and Capers should change positions :texflag:

Grid
09-12-2005, 01:06 AM
interesting that no one has voted for no change. Are only the irate folks voting? Have you old board vets voted on this?

I voted to wait till 2006. Let things implode and at the end of the season we can take our pick of the litter of the available coaches.

Im not so sure I WANT hoke to be our OC. Is he going to try and run the same offense we have been running? I think a complete change is necessary. We have a ton of talent and no one using it.. i want someone who will come in and mold the offense into something that puts our strengths to use.

Hervoyel
09-12-2005, 01:37 AM
I said "Change Now" but I didn't put much thought into it. It was a knee-jerk vote. The more I think about it though what does it matter? Someone has to step in on an interim basis but nobody says you have to hire them at the end of the year. You can still pick your guy out of the available coaches plus you get to see what your team does when shaken up like this.

The one thing that the Texans have had from day one is an almost eerie sense of complacency. Now I'm not talking about bringing on a full blown Bud Adams like upheaval but if these guys see Capers carrying his stuff out of his office in a cardboard box then maybe they'll understand that there aren't anymore free passes.

If they can't handle that pressure then they don't belong here in the first place.

HoustonHarley
09-12-2005, 01:42 AM
Herv.....we think alike. If we lose the first 3-4 games and they are as ugly as this one was, I am in full favor of change now. I think a shake up like that would do wonders.

Nighthawk
09-12-2005, 02:02 AM
I hate all the wait until the end of the season crud. Nobody's thinking. THe sooner we sweep Capers and his bunch out the sooner we start the rebuilding of the team, no--it's not just rebuiding, it's reinventing, rethinking, reimagining, remaking. It's EVERYTHING about this theam because now, everything is geared to the mediocre. Top to bottom (OK, everybody can think of a couple of exceptions among the players).

DO IT NOW.

We'll have a very rough season but win a few late and next year we'll be ready to go.

I say we beg Jimmy Johnson, and beg, and don't take No for an answer. He's a winner. Not a great man or a great guy or maybe even a great coach, but he wins.

DO IT NOW.

COOL V
09-12-2005, 02:06 AM
I'm with you on that one JJ can motivate players "Fumble and you're out of here" Yep, Jerry Jones would be pacing the sidelines again wondering what was he thinking letting JJ go after 3 Super Bowls. Either him or Gary Kubiak. We need someone with true ties to The Great State Of Texas like someone said earlier. Oops I think it was only 2 Cause Barry What's his name coached one didn't he??? Can someone post the number to call for the Doomed Capers Show. I would appreciate it. I bet he calls in sick(Of His Coaching) tomorrow.

SPRBWL
09-12-2005, 02:11 AM
How loud do we have to scream and who do we scream to to make these changes happen now? Unfortunatly it seems like at this point all we can do is vent. But no one in the Texans organization is paying attention to its own fans who expect much much more.

It sure is sad, because without the fans...you have nothing.

I wish Mr. Mcnair would listen.

Alot of people here have mentioned the Oilers fiasco. We can prevent this happening again...,but things need to change NOW NOW NOW :dangit:

texan0305
09-12-2005, 02:14 AM
I agree with vman palmer needs to go! This guy has acheived nothing as his tenure as coach or offensive cordinator, the same exact plays are being called, i could game plan a defense to stop the texans offense right now! This can either be the low point of the year and the texans can turn it around, or we might be saying "hey theres always next year" for like the 4th year in a row, they need to do something, they need a better offensive line and they need to get a number 2 wr....... one word to describe the texans right now and it's "u g l y" grrrrrrrrrrrrr so frustrating................

i finally know what it's like to be a cleveland browns fan, thank you texans, thank you....

COOL V
09-12-2005, 02:14 AM
I thought Mcnair was a business man, a winner. What's up??? Does he ever voice an opinion on TV??? He needs to reassure the fans that he'll do whatever it takes to put a winner on the field. And ditch those makeshift coaches. Does he know we lost today??? I swear he's riding his horses somewhere. Did the coaches know that this was a Regular Season Game???

COOL V
09-12-2005, 02:19 AM
One thing is for sure the Texans Yearbook(Highlight Video) will be a short one this season. Like Bottle-O said "Just Truth" Can we have a recount, sorry this isn't Florida.

ojthecat
09-12-2005, 10:03 AM
What fire? Are you kidding? Did you see the look on Capers face throughout the whole game? He looked dumber than a bag of hammers :embarrass

I have to disagree I do believe that a bag of hammers would have gone for it on 4th and inches.

We need a coach that is a MAN.

Texas
09-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Palmer needs to go...Capers will learn some day so hes worth keeping.

edo783
09-12-2005, 12:11 PM
I wouldn't mind changing several spots, HC, OC and OL coach. However, I doubt at this point we could aquire anyone of quality to take the positions. It's easy to say get JJ or Kubiac, but the reality is they most likely wouldn't be interested at this time. At the end of the season you MIGHT be able to induce them as then they would have time to install their system and coaching staffs. Do it now, and they inheret all the currect issues and that is something they are too smart to do. Unless there is a long run (5 games?) of major routes, I doubt we do much till the offseason, then I look for a MAJOR house cleaning with a new head coach bringing in a mostly new staff. CC will stay for a couple of years more IMO.

texan767
09-12-2005, 12:31 PM
Should we read anything into Bob McNair showing up with JJ at the Reliant Center?

PapaL
09-12-2005, 12:36 PM
Changing coaches in the middle of the season wouldnt do any good, because the Texans would have to learn a whole new offense, so I can wait till the end of the season.

I was thinking the same thing, but if the changed happened now they would have this season to learn it under fire, next offseason to completely get it down and be rolling with it next year. But we would have to sacrifice this year. Kind of early for that.

CowboysTexansFan
09-12-2005, 12:42 PM
I think Palmer needs to be fired now. One of the position coaches on offense could take over the play calling, thus no need to change the entire offense mid-season.

Unless the team plays with more passion and gets better results, I would fire Capers at the end of the season. I like and respect Capers, and think he has a lot of character, but he may be more suited to be a Defensive Coordinator than a head coach. I'd love for Mr. McNair to bring in someone like Jimmy Johnson or someone in the Bill Parcells mold, a cantankerous SOB that the players fear. A head coach who makes everyone's lives miserable when the team performs poorly.

SBTexans08
09-12-2005, 12:47 PM
I don't think it's prudent to fire our entire coaching staff now and bring in a new one. Let's let this season ride out, with McNair letting it be known that heads are coming off unless we see some competitiveness in this Texans team. If they still show nothing, no creativeness, no ability to adjust, etc.....then fire them and pick someone else up as soon as the season comes to a close.

COLOBUFF
09-12-2005, 12:49 PM
Don't blame the players. All the blame , as in the past should be shouldered by the coaching staff. It is pretty difficult for any offense in the NFL to be productive when they are limited to about 3 plays that the other teams defense already knows and what sequence those plays are going to be ran. First down hand-off to Davis, second down hand-off to Davis, third down throw the ball to Johnson at line of scrimmage and pray that he breaks one. The defense being offside 4 or was it 5 times reflects directly on lack of discipline, which reflects directly on our defense minded head coach.
Mcnair will see the light before the end of this season......He is a successful businessman and I would think his tolerance for the mistakes is reaching an end.
The problem with the offense is obvious. They drafted the wrong players to try to play smashmouth football. Change the offense or trade the players and start over if this is the type of offense you want to run....run..run..pass on 3rd and 25.

cuppacoffee
09-12-2005, 01:09 PM
One of the threads mentions trying to hire Johnson. I did not follow his career so I dont know the reason we would want him. I know he had some success at Dallas and was fired and I think he was hired by the Dolphins. Did he coach at Miami and if so, was he successful there as well?
If Johnson is an option, why not hire him now as a consultant of some kind to advise our current staff on how to coach?
Lord knows we need to do something! :brickwall

cac: :coffee:

Rightnow
09-12-2005, 01:17 PM
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1797/ditkacoach03pf10hw.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

It's this guy or nobody!!!!

:excited:

sulli60
09-12-2005, 01:38 PM
I've been a Palmer basher for a few years now and more recently a Capers basher. When is our defense going to start putting pressure on the QB? Isn't that the only reason to have a headcoach like Capers? Hell, the Jaquars defense seemed to improve once Caper's left to be our head guy.

I'm getting really tired of that stupid confused look on the sidelines. He makes Jack Pardee look like Nobel physicist. I say no to Jimmy Johnson, though. He did nothing at Miami worth noting and probably couldn't get it done in the Salary cap era.

I expect the Texans to be 0-2 because they're not built to stop a power running team like the Steelers. After two slaps in the face I hope they wake up and play with some pride.

texan279
09-12-2005, 01:40 PM
How about Dave Wanstadt? :goodnight :tomato:

cred
09-12-2005, 02:57 PM
How about an option to change coaches at mid-season?

Agreed, wait till mid-season, and if no better, FIRE CHRIS PALMER

Porky
09-12-2005, 03:12 PM
If I could, I would fire all of the coaches, plus CC, the scouts, the Waterboys, the trainers, the Cheerleaders (well OK not the cheerleaders), the parking lot attendents, the guy who serves the players lunch, the janitors, Jerry - the guy who fills the coffee machine, the laundry attendent, the limo driver, and lastly the players themselves. :texflag:

PSL for life
09-12-2005, 03:39 PM
I think if we get our arses handed to us at home this week against Pittsburgh, which is likely, we'll see some changes on Monday. If not then it won't happen until Jan. I hope like heck we can turn it around but don't see how with the O line we have. They really need to spread the field and put Carr in the shotgun all day against Pittsburgh.

cred
09-12-2005, 03:43 PM
I am just curious to what happend to the three step drops and some of the things that were supposed to be done to help. Count it, there were only 4 offensive plays that were of a 3 step drop. Are we tring to get the first pick of next years draft. I support the team but I do not support the play calling at all.

(1) How do we punt on 4th down and about 3 inches, if we can't get three inches, we definitly don't deserve to win.

(2) Again how do we punt on 4th and 2 with less that 6 min left in the game when your down 2 scores. Sometimes you have to play to win, not just play not to lose.

(3) Choose at least 3 (that I can remember of) running plays when it was 3rd and like 15 or 20 yards to go.

I truely can not comprehend what some of the coaching staff is thinking about? :confused:

JfromthaTray
09-12-2005, 03:51 PM
Its not fair of you to read my mind and post the threads before I do. Either those were some of the most pathetic coaching decisions I've ever seen, or Capers outsmarted us all because he knew they werenot going to make it anyway. But I'm with you, I would have much rather have seen them go down fighting. And that way, the players would have been held accountable.

Ibar_Harry
09-12-2005, 04:23 PM
Its kind of funny, but one of the guys I would approach about helping with the O-line is a guy who ran up and down the side line in the 1st season being the offensive cheer leader. He couldn't play, but he really tried to help the team. Seems he had a shoulder injury, but he does know how to play the LT position. He's been in the trenches and he seems to know how to motivate people and he's a good person. This club needs some teachers who know what the hell they are doing and know how to play winning football. He was and will always be a winner. I think he owes us a favor or two anyway. We treated him well and now may be he could help us in an unanticipated way. Of course I'm refering to Boselli. You know what, he might even make a good head coach. Yes, we are that desperate................

Hervoyel
09-12-2005, 04:27 PM
I don't care anymore, I'm putting Ibar on ignore. It's like listening to my seven year old nephew make suggestions on how to make this team better. Normally my ignore list is off limits for me because I need to see what everyone is posting in order to moderate but for this I've got to make an exception. I just can't stand it anymore.

Boselli as head coach.....inexplicable. It's like he's channeling crazy dead people or something.

Ibar_Harry
09-12-2005, 04:41 PM
I don't care anymore, I'm putting Ibar on ignore. It's like listening to my seven year old nephew make suggestions on how to make this team better. Normally my ignore list is off limits for me because I need to see what everyone is posting in order to moderate but for this I've got to make an exception. I just can't stand it anymore.

Boselli as head coach.....inexplicable. It's like he's channeling crazy dead people or something.

At least he wouldn't stand there with his mouth open and nothing coming out. The point is we need to do something and they have obviously made it impossible to change anything, because of the point in time of the season. Like others I think you need to look else where because this coaching staff is so intertwined. They all think alike. We need change. Mr. B might really make a good O-line coach. Take your glasses off and think a little bit. What's amazing is I have been saying what's going to happen and all of you think I'm crazy. The crazy part is I have pegged the situation better than most of you who are criticizing me. Some of what I say is toungue in cheek, but unfortunately there is also an element of truth in it to. Please Herv, open your eyes, I love the Texans but not the coaches. I've been posting for a long time the players are getting a bad rap when its the coaches who are at fault. I hear players taking the blame, but I never hear it from the coaches.

profan
09-12-2005, 05:00 PM
I don't like Bill Parcells, but when his team turns in a bad performance, he shoulders the blame and takes action to correct the problem. I don't hear the texan coaches admiting mistakes were made. Give the players a chance. The cowboys addressed the problems in the off-season and appear to be a better team. We do not appear to have corrected our problems. Where was the 3 step drop and quick release? This was the least prepared texan team i have ever seen and the coaches need to be held accountable.

drwillis
09-12-2005, 05:02 PM
It has become clear that Chris Palmer must go as the Texans OC. This team needs a shock in the offensive category that can only come from a change in coaches. While they are at it, they should replace the O-Line coaches as well. This team has some good players on the offensive line, but I think they lack coaching on how to pick up a freaking blitz or even read one at that. Case in point: the Indianapolis Colts O-Line is probably one of the smallest in the league. Playing against one of the best Defenses in the league last night, they were able to keep Mannings head attached. If David Carr does not have the ability to work with the O-Line to read Defenses, maybe we should find another QB. I really like the kids toughness and his arm strength, but come on.... learn to read a defense please before you get killed out there.
I love that my hometown has another football team, but it is hard being a fan of a team like the one that showed up yesterday.

Chance_C
09-12-2005, 05:02 PM
Of course I'm refering to Boselli. You know what, he might even make a good head coach. Yes, we are that desperate................

Yeah, that's it. Boselli for head coach!! :crazy:
What you think Ses?

Diehardtexan
09-12-2005, 05:05 PM
I think JJ's time in houston is now. This guy doesn't need 4 years to build a winner. The OL we should keep Chester Pitt and Wade and send the rest packing. And as far as the linebackers.. it seems that Caper doesn't know how to evaluate talent..we got red of Jeff Posey the one season sack record holder with the Texans..we let Steve Foley go and now he is a productive LB with San Diago Sharper might've been slower that Greenwood but he was around the ball all the time Forman was a great backup. Antwan Peek is not a starter and Babin is lazy. I never read any where were he is in the wheight room in the off season, all I read about him is his hunting ranch. P.Buc was torched yesterday..It burns my *** to see this Orginzation getting rid of proven players before the new one they brought in can prove that they can take their spot. And for those who are asking for Caserly is head. CC isn't the one who evaluate talent, he just signs the ones the scouts and Capers ask for. I say bring JJ on board.

TEXANRED
09-12-2005, 05:14 PM
Jimmy Johnson? I would sooner promote Palmer to head coach with a 10 year deal.

HoustonFan
09-12-2005, 05:27 PM
I would love to see JJ in Houston as the head coach. He has a fire for the game, will get in players a** for botching a play, and I think he's a better judge of the team's needs.

This team in my opinion has needed more offensive help than anything. I almost feel like Carr is not very confident in his O-line - I mean after getting sacked so many times I don't think I'd be either. He's got a great arm and can get out of situations we've seen it very few times. I question why Reggie Swinton and Sloan Thomas were cut -they played very well in the of-season, even though we lost 3 times. That made no sense. Surely that would have meant more wide out options aside from AJ. Our Triple Threat of DC, AJ, and DD has not made much noise and I think that is a big shame, Chris Palmer. As far as defense go, I think they can only do so much when offense is not putting up much of a fight to keep possession of the ball. They have given up some yards, though, and they could rush the passer more. Afterall weren't they supposed to be leaner and quicker this season??? Why aren't they able to get to the QB???

Bottomline, WE WANT THIS TEAM TO WIN!!!!!!!!!

TigerBait
09-12-2005, 05:34 PM
Ok, Spurrier. :tomato:

HoustonFan
09-12-2005, 05:35 PM
Jimmy Johnson? I would sooner promote Palmer to head coach with a 10 year deal.

Are you serious??? :confused:

swtbound07
09-12-2005, 05:44 PM
if tony siragusa can do color commentary on the sidelines then why not tony boselli a coach? stranger things then that have happened with fat men named tony...

Diehardtexan
09-12-2005, 05:55 PM
JJ as head coach...Goerge Seifert as Offensive coordinator and bring in new blood from college for the D or even keep Caper for that mater and get rid of Fangio.

tsip
09-12-2005, 05:58 PM
Coaching change now but not Capers. Palmer needs to go and then maybe Capers and Fanigo will realize it is time to wake up and start being more aggressive.

Capers is a micro-manager who is also a control freak. Butch Davis was the
same way in Cleveland before he resigned but Capers carries it further
with is note taking (afraid he'll miss something). How much input do you
think Capers gives his OC/DC? I'll bet he runs/controls this offense more
than Palmer. If Palmer calls the plays, I'll bet it's from a short list from
Capers. I'm not saying Palmer is the answer but letting Capers stay will
only be more of what we've seen already. He is the problem.

There were a couple of good points on 610 today that echo what several
posters have mentioned. First, Buffalo's Head Coach(2nd yr) put his new QB
starter in a position to succeed--Capers does not do that. Second, Buff
determined they needed to revamp their OL and started by signing a LT.
...several other teams signed new LT's, as well. No one in the NFL has a
worse 'result oriented' OL than the Texans and we all saw the same
yesterday. Gel? That's a big part of the Texans problem. First, it was the
expansion label--now, it's 'gel.' While the Texans need time for their OL to
'gel' other teams--like the Bills with their second yr rookie coach-make it
happen...it's all about what you'll accept.

No, IMO, if we're going to keep Capers then no other changes will help--
in fact, for Capers, it's just an excuse for 'gelling' to the new change.

HoustonFan
09-12-2005, 06:00 PM
JJ as head coach...Goerge Seifert as Offensive coordinator and bring in new blood from college for the D or even keep Caper for that mater and get rid of Fangio.

:hmmm: :ok: that could work. JJ and Seifert. Capers as defensive coordinator... well , defense to me hasn't been all that bad. Afterall if you're out on the field most of the game you're bound to mess up.

Grid
09-12-2005, 07:22 PM
Brian Billick of Baltimore may be looking for a job if the Ravens dont make the playoffs this season (a distinct possibility)

Mike Holmgren of Seattle may be looking for a job as well.

I doubt either of them would take an OC or DC job.. but its still something to consider.

(should I have posted this in the NFL forum?)

GP
09-12-2005, 11:11 PM
He knows how to properly and effectively coach a stud QB, a stud RB, and a stud WR.

It was Aikman, Smith, and Irvin.

And now it IS Carr, Davis, and Johnson.

He's got the background of knowing how to make those three maximize their talents.

He's got the rings to show he can get it done.

And I think he'd like nothing more than to play in Texas and renew the rivalry with Jerry Jones.

He didn't go far in Miami for a very simple reason: He lacked a good QB (Marino was in the golden twilight of his career) and he lacked a good WR. Maybve I;m mistaken, but I even think he didn't have a star-quality RB either. He just didn't have the stars that we have. If you were looming to land a head coaching job, wouldn't you salivate at the thought of Carr-Davis-Johnson?

Seriously, JJ would clean house and rebuild this thing around Carr-Davis-Johnson. Aikman got slaughtered his first season behind a weak line. And then a couple years later, the Cowboys just mysteriously were playing big boy ball? Not a coincidence. JJ was in total control, drafted or bought the players he needed to compliment his QB/RB/WR and the rest is history. He did it there, but he probably couldn't do it here unless McNair opens up the wallet and gambles a little bit.

Sorry. I'm trying to post SOMETHING constructive in the wake of all of my griping. Time to move on (for me) but this is the first step. I just can't see this team going on with Capers. This daydream I have is all I know to do to get out of the funk.

I expect the standard "you're nuts" replies. No problem. Just trying to exhibit some constructive thinking.

Kaiser Toro
09-12-2005, 11:17 PM
You're nuts, but only on JJ.

We do need a leader for this team, because it is not coming from our team. A dominating personality is all that is going to whip these guys in shape. Only G-Funk has the credibility and mouth to make it happen. We may need a type A personality like JJ to coach this team.

Wolf
09-12-2005, 11:21 PM
Do we have Walker to trade to the Vikes :heh:

Grid
09-12-2005, 11:35 PM
Pray that the Ravens dont make the playoffs and Billick gets fired.

Billick for head coach in 2006!

souljunkie
09-13-2005, 01:21 PM
..Looks like most of us are seeing things the same. I grew impatient with Capers last year with as much talent as he had. (and then traded for some stupid reason, ie. Jamie Sharper) This guy has his head in a notebook constantly . Details, stats and play results etc...He get and "f" for motivating and getting into the minds and hearts of his players on game day. Most anal types like him are lacking in people skills. I give him this year to win 9-10 games. if he doesn't its time to shop for a new coach and Offensive coordinator. We dont need some incumbant who got lucky with his first expansion team (Carolina)!! :goodnight

Corrosion
09-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Sharper was CUT , not traded

HJam72
09-13-2005, 01:46 PM
I don't think not having Sharper is one of our bigger problems right now. Nothing on our Defense is the real problem right now, but you can fire any coach you want to for all I care at this point. Fangio's OK, but I don't care.

HomeBred_Texan
09-13-2005, 03:46 PM
Sorry,
But I didnt like Capers before he became a Texan's coach and surely I am not the only one not liking him now. But how much is too much? Palmer should have been fired last year. This year I heard from Caper's own mouth on ch. 13 that he backs Palmer's run first game plan.

I knew we were in trouble when they passed on a good WR in the draft when the first round pick was ours and then had to settle for a D Line man who I have yet to see play.

Still predicting a 4/12 season and the firing of some coaches this year....

Sarg01
09-13-2005, 04:22 PM
I'm not going to defend the playcalling or the punting. However, folks need to keep stuff in perspective. This game was no more atrocious than the Cleveland game last year, not after you factor in the relative strengths of opponent.

How many people were upset headed into Week 17 last year after the big J-ville game? Two games is not enough to be talking about ANY personnel changes.

CoolieMan
09-13-2005, 04:27 PM
Run first........yet against buffalo your team actually passed more on 1st down than rushed the ball......

JRUTIAGA
09-13-2005, 04:28 PM
they will never be able to do any thing as long as the coaching staff stays the same. if any of the coordinators or head coach would be in any other team, they would of gotten fired by now. i blame them for the reason why the texans play and lose the way that they do. they dont care. they are more worried about players that tomorrow might be good, rather than saying i need GREAT players now. the only reason why houston is a threat in basketball is because they spent money. and it seams like the texans are not willing to do that.

TEXANS84
09-13-2005, 04:32 PM
I knew we were in trouble when they passed on a good WR in the draft when the first round pick was ours and then had to settle for a D Line man who I have yet to see play.

Who is this good WR? Clayton? Jones?

If your talking about Williamson, Edwards, or Williams...they were all gone.

Corrosion
09-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Run first........yet against buffalo your team actually passed more on 1st down than rushed the ball......

For once .... but if you ask me this is a GOOD thing because EVERYONE puts 8 in the box against the Texans because they KNOW whats coming .

CoolieMan
09-13-2005, 04:46 PM
opposing defenses do the same thing to the Steelers.....last week in the second half the Steelers ran the ball something like 22 straight times....Roethlisberger threw 2 passes the entire second half....

given a stonger OL....the Texans could do something similar.....

Double Barrel
09-13-2005, 05:04 PM
I've read an article yesterday that said the Caper's offense is conservative run, while Palmer's is more of an air-it-out style. The problem, as mentioned in the Chronicle article, is that the coaches are not in agreement with each other.

We do need to keep one game in perspective, though. It's not the end of the world or end of the season...heck, it's not even the beginning of the end. It's one game that our team played really bad.

NeViKaN
09-13-2005, 06:07 PM
I've read an article yesterday that said the Caper's offense is conservative run, while Palmer's is more of an air-it-out style. The problem, as mentioned in the Chronicle article, is that the coaches are not in agreement with each other.

I have heard this before. Chris basically said his hands are tied.

A thought that I had (probably not any better than what we have now) is to let Capers go and let Chris Palmer be the intermediate Head Coach. He has been a head Coach before (not great) and the change in the play book might be what we need. :fishing:

But keep in mind that NO MATTER who the coach is, or who the QB is, or who the RB is, the four year old line problems need to be fixed or no one will be able to do anything. The Bills fixed their line why can't we? :tomato:

What do ya’ll think?

HomeBred_Texan
09-13-2005, 08:56 PM
Who is this good WR? Clayton? Jones?

If your talking about Williamson, Edwards, or Williams...they were all gone.
Williams wasn't gone when our time came up. Capers decided to roll the dice thinking no one was going to take him and traded down with New Orleans. But to his surprise, Detroit snatched him up so fast Capers head is still spinning. Stupid move....

ojthecat
09-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Williams wasn't gone when our time came up. Capers decided to roll the dice thinking no one was going to take him and traded down with New Orleans. But to his surprise, Detroit snatched him up so fast Capers head is still spinning. Stupid move....

No Williams was gone Detroit picked before the Texans

Hervoyel
09-13-2005, 09:33 PM
My new revised Sig and Avatar say it all I believe. At least they say what I think about this whole mess.

Honoring Earl 34
09-13-2005, 10:01 PM
:texflag: Is it impossible to get Charlie Weiss from Notre Dame next year .

If your going to draft a QB ( 1st pick) 1st round and a WR (3rd pick ) 1st round you don't have an anal control coach who wants 4.0 yds a carry and a good kicking game .

Corrosion
09-13-2005, 10:14 PM
:texflag: Is it impossible to get Charlie Weiss from Notre Dame next year .

If your going to draft a QB ( 1st pick) 1st round and a WR (3rd pick ) 1st round you don't have an anal control coach who wants 4.0 yds a carry and a good kicking game .

I Highly doubt he (Weiss) would leave Notre Dame for the Texans head coaching position ..... I know I wouldnt .

On your second point I agree completely , the Texans personel does not fit their coaches "Blueprint" .... As I stated before the Texans skill position players operate better in space rather than between the tackles .....

The idea of cutting Capers loose and handing the reigns over to Palmer on an interm basis may actually have some merit .... Their styles are so contradictory that the two of them just CAN NOT co-exist ... The skill position players fit better within Palmers style than Capers so it would make more sense to fire Capers than Plamer ..... Stranger things have happened . :tv:

Honoring Earl 34
09-13-2005, 10:27 PM
:tv: I would rather watch the crocidiles eat the zebras on the National Geographic Channel than watch the Texans on third and long . The crocs are less violent .

If we had a killer defense I would understand the Texans reasonings but we don't . We need about 20 points a game to go 10-6 .

HomeBred_Texan
09-13-2005, 10:29 PM
No Williams was gone Detroit picked before the Texans
We had the pick "before" Detroit and traded it off to New Orleans. We COULD have gotten him instead of a def player....

OzzO
09-13-2005, 10:37 PM

We do need to keep one game in perspective, though. It's not the end of the world or end of the season...heck, it's not even the beginning of the end. It's one game that our team played really bad.

Interestingly, mentioned on 610 on the way home is that Palmer calls the plays and yes, Capers has the final say to nix the play if wanted but it was mentioned he very rarely does so. (noted during the 5:00 hour or so). Also noted that teams in the past have done well offensively under Palmer as OC.

Personally, it's confusing to know what to think will be the "magical bullet" to cure the ills... I don't think it's just going to be one shot that does it.

Texans Horror
09-13-2005, 10:51 PM
There are too many things that have to go right. I still believe that their weakest link is in the TE position and not the OL, but time will tell. We still have a lot of football left to play...

beerlover
09-13-2005, 10:54 PM
its not pretty who ever is in charge, Capers is conservative maybe too conservative and this influences Palmer's play calling (which is not in his nature) & discussed in detail all week during game planning sessions idonno:

Exascor
09-14-2005, 09:19 AM
We had the pick "before" Detroit and traded it off to New Orleans. We COULD have gotten him instead of a def player....No we couldn't have. Detroit picked Williams @ 10. Our original pick was @ 13. Check your facts.

ojthecat
09-14-2005, 10:06 AM
We had the pick "before" Detroit and traded it off to New Orleans. We COULD have gotten him instead of a def player....

Here are the first 16 picks in the first round of the 2005 draft.
Notice that our first pick went to New Orleans at number 13 and Detroit was number 10.

1 1 San Francisco Smith, Alex D. QB 6-4 212 Utah
2 2 Miami Brown, Ronnie RB 6-0 233 Auburn
3 3 Cleveland Edwards, Braylon WR 6-3 211 Michigan
4 4 Chicago Benson, Cedric RB 5-10 222 Texas
5 5 Tampa Bay Williams, Carnell RB 5-11 217 Auburn
6 6 Tennessee Jones, Adam 'Pacman' CB 5-11 187 West Virginia
7 7 Minnesota (from Oakland) Williamson, Troy WR 6-1 203 South Carolina
8 8 Arizona Rolle, Antrel CB 6-0 202 Miami (Fla.)
9 9 Washington Rogers, Carlos CB 6-0 199 Auburn
10 10 Detroit Williams, Mike WR 6-5 229 Southern California
11 11 Dallas Ware, Demarcus DE 6-4 247 Troy State
12 12 San Diego (from N.Y. Giants) Merriman, Shawne OLB 6-4 253 Maryland
13 13 New Orleans (from Houston) Brown, Jammal OT 6-6 313 Oklahoma
14 14 Carolina Davis, Thomas FS 6-1 231 Georgia
15 15 Kansas City Johnson, Derrick O. OLB 6-3 234 Texas
16 16 Houston (from New Orleans) Johnson, Travis DT 6-4 290 Florida State

Corrosion
09-14-2005, 10:32 AM
its not pretty who ever is in charge, Capers is conservative maybe too conservative and this influences Palmer's play calling (which is not in his nature) & discussed in detail all week during game planning sessions idonno:

This fundamental difference between the two coaches is where the downfall lies IMO ....

Ive said it before and Ill say it again ....

The Texans skill players DO NOT fit into Capers' mold of a POWER running game .... They are better IN SPACE .

While DD is a pretty good back , He isnt Jerome Bettis or Stephen Davis , both good between the tackles and can move the pile . Not to mention that teams always put 8 in the box to stop the running game ... 5 blockers just cant block 8 defenders .
Carr is more suited to a down the field passing game than this dink and dunk 3 step drop brianstorm that Capers and Co. came up with to save a few $$$ as is AJ ..... You dont drop $600k on a Lamborghini and use it in the crash up derby !

Fact is .... If the Texans cant run the ball in the current system they cant pass it either because its 3rd and 7 and the pass rush doesnt have to respect the run . They can line up and Tee Off .....Which is going to make this poor O-line look even worse .

The players dont fit the system ..... so either the players or the coach Have to go ..... and its MUCH easier to fire a coach than replace players at any position other than maybe Water boy .... What's Holling doing here? Bradford, where's my towel?

HomeBred_Texan
09-14-2005, 05:34 PM
No we couldn't have. Detroit picked Williams @ 10. Our original pick was @ 13. Check your facts.
My apologies...
I was wrong..

Can the coaches say that?????

Corrosion
09-14-2005, 05:39 PM
My apologies...
I was wrong..

Can the coaches say that?????

Highly doubtful ....

infantrycak
09-14-2005, 06:05 PM
OK here is my coaching change missed opportunity rant. The Texans had the opportunity to address one of their two self-identified greatest needs with an undisputable top 5 guy at his position for a couple million non-salary cap dollars--Hudson Houck. No offense to Pendry, but his resume for OL isn't anywhere close to Houck's. If Pendry is really here to tweak the O then either make him coordinator or QB coach or something but get the expert at your biggest problem. Miami gave up 52 sacks last year--yup, more than the Texans. It is only one week, but we gave up 5 sacks (yes I know only one on the OL) and Miami gave up zero--and guess what, all the players for this game were on the team last year. I am not fond of all the hindsight on draft picks, whining about Portis, etc. but sheesh IMO this one was pretty obvious, frankly moreso than signing Pace. This is at the top of the list I have for mistakes by the Texans.

CyberTexan
09-14-2005, 08:56 PM
I was just wondering , if the Texans do as bad as they did last week when we play the Steelers , do we start considering a coaching change ? ( I know I personally would ) I mean you cant waste a whole season waiting for it to end to Change a Coaching staff , thats just a waste besides I think a coaching change would at least be a step in the right direction just a change period would lift spirits . I was trying to remember how many times it has been done in the past during the season . And after the Steeler game would be perfect considering we have a Bye coming up . Would love to see Jimmy Johnson coach us ( wishfull thinking ) but saw him and the Owner hanging out together during the Katrina Astro Dome thing , think maybe they talked about it at all ? :hmmm: Of course this is all considering we look bad again . coaching change couldnt make us look any worse than last week .

Kaiser Toro
09-14-2005, 09:05 PM
Coaching change in Football is very rare. I am not a proponent of it as I would like to see who his available after the season.

However, just like in business the clipboard can be handed over to another. Titles do not necssarily change, but covert words say it all as the new person is going to assume more accountbility, responsbility within the organization.

It is then that we enter the Dotted Line Era.

Ibar_Harry
09-14-2005, 09:05 PM
If I were Capers, I would hope he understands a picture is worth 10,000 words. I could think of a number of other people I would like to see in the spot, but most are not available until the end of the season. You kind of wonder if they would go with an interim coach. My problem with that is I don't think any of this coaching staff thinks differently than Capers. Therefore, an interim coach wouldn't be any different that what we have now.

CyberTexan
09-14-2005, 09:15 PM
Am I just Dreaming BIG or does anyone else think Jimmy Johnson and Mcnair being at the Astro Dome together was just coincidental ? re they friends in real life or is there any hope of getting him to ever coach again ?

Hervoyel
09-14-2005, 09:16 PM
I am of the opinion that with this team, at this time, a head coaching change might make a difference depending on several factors. First is the million dollar question of who's taking over.

Is it Palmer who takes over on an interim basis? Does that mean our offense is suddenly going to undergo a personality transplant? I've seen our offense and believe me when I say that I'd trade it's current "personality" for just about anything else out there at this time. I believe that a Capers departure (There is no Fire Capers Club....) combined with a Palmer promotion would mean an improved offense. Pressure to conform to a specific type of conservative style would be lifted and at the same time I think Palmer would very much want the chance to resume his head coaching career. I think we'd see some fireworks. Assuming the defensive coaches stay put and continue to focus on improving our defense I think we could be seeing results pretty fast.

If it's Fangio who gets the interim job then we're looking at the second coming of Capers unless he's told to give Palmer the go ahead on offensive matters.

The good thing about an interim coach is that he can be the answer or he can be sent packing with little fanfare once the season is over. I personally hope that Bob is willing to make a move if one is warranted regardless of how many games are left in 2005.

CyberTexan
09-14-2005, 09:19 PM
If it was Palmer who took over , I think the Fams would be very dissapointed I know I would , when I say coaching change i meant for Capers to take Palmer with him .

Porky
09-14-2005, 09:25 PM
Start considering a coaching change? Heck, I started considering it last year and throughout the offseason. After that putrid effort, and Capers lame comments afterward, I am WAY beyond considering it. Frankly, there is nothing short of winning the Super Bowl that will make me change my mind at this point. I am slow to burn, but once I hit the quick, I light up like the fourth of July....meaning that I have a ton of patience, but once my patience is consumed, I get extremely angry, and that's that. Once my mind is made up like this, there is no looking back. It was time for a change as of Sunday afternoon. Everything else is just biding time now.

Ibar_Harry
09-14-2005, 09:26 PM
I am of the opinion that with this team, at this time, a head coaching change might make a difference depending on several factors. First is the million dollar question of who's taking over.

Is it Palmer who takes over on an interim basis? Does that mean our offense is suddenly going to undergo a personality transplant? I've seen our offense and believe me when I say that I'd trade it's current "personality" for just about anything else out there at this time. I believe that a Capers departure (There is no Fire Capers Club....) combined with a Palmer promotion would mean an improved offense. Pressure to conform to a specific type of conservative style would be lifted and at the same time I think Palmer would very much want the chance to resume his head coaching career. I think we'd see some fireworks. Assuming the defensive coaches stay put and continue to focus on improving our defense I think we could be seeing results pretty fast.

If it's Fangio who gets the interim job then we're looking at the second coming of Capers unless he's told to give Palmer the go ahead on offensive matters.

The good thing about an interim coach is that he can be the answer or he can be sent packing with little fanfare once the season is over. I personally hope that Bob is willing to make a move if one is warranted regardless of how many games are left in 2005.

Well said. Its the Caper's stigma that you have to get rid of and that really is the real question as you say. You might, or might not, get that depending on who the interim is. Its too bad the decision wasn't made last year. I know I was a lone wolf out there, but this just put us back another year. The signs were there last year, but nobody was willing to accept reality. It really is a shame to see some of the talented players we have continue to suffer through this kind of nonsense, not to mention the fans.

If the fans get up and leave like they did at the end of the Cleveland game last year, I would say Mr. Capers is on his way out. While I would like us to win this game or at least look respectible, I almost think it would not be in the best long term interest of this ball club. That is a sad thing to have to say.

Ibar_Harry
09-14-2005, 09:33 PM
I noticed the poll on this web site shows the 96.5% of the people responding feel Capers has to go at some point. I find that interesting given all of the people who have been making excuses for Capers. Only 3.5 % basically are for no change. That is awfully one sided.

PapaL
09-14-2005, 09:37 PM
2 things get a true responce from a team; starting QB benched, HC replaced. I'd be all for one or even both if the team is as unprepared as they were last week.

Ibar_Harry
09-14-2005, 09:42 PM
OK here is my coaching change missed opportunity rant. The Texans had the opportunity to address one of their two self-identified greatest needs with an undisputable top 5 guy at his position for a couple million non-salary cap dollars--Hudson Houck. No offense to Pendry, but his resume for OL isn't anywhere close to Houck's. If Pendry is really here to tweak the O then either make him coordinator or QB coach or something but get the expert at your biggest problem. Miami gave up 52 sacks last year--yup, more than the Texans. It is only one week, but we gave up 5 sacks (yes I know only one on the OL) and Miami gave up zero--and guess what, all the players for this game were on the team last year. I am not fond of all the hindsight on draft picks, whining about Portis, etc. but sheesh IMO this one was pretty obvious, frankly moreso than signing Pace. This is at the top of the list I have for mistakes by the Texans.

Very well said, but again the problem is Caper's surrounds himself with his cronies and he's not about to go after anyone who is a threat to show him up. I think it is also a function of the Capers run at all cost mentality and a fixation with the Zone blocking scheme which he bought into hook line and sinker two years ago. I think Houck would want to install a different scheme, and if it worked, that would have made Caper's look bad. While I would love to have seen the change you are talking about, it would not have worked without getting rid of Capers. Believe me I respect what you are saying about this man's ability to coach an O-line.

fingers5
09-14-2005, 09:46 PM
Maybe we can go with the Buddy Ryan - Kevin Gilbride model - Each runs there own ship - Who needs a head coach anyway - Let the experts do what they do best with no mediator - Go for a new head coach in the off season - Preferably one with some huevos

Hervoyel
09-14-2005, 09:55 PM
If it was Palmer who took over , I think the Fams would be very dissapointed I know I would , when I say coaching change i meant for Capers to take Palmer with him .

I think that's very short sighted of you. Stop to consider that in all likelyhood an interim coach isn't going ot accomplish much of anything anyway. In the NFL it's not often that a guy asked to lead the team for the remainder of the season has to worry about what he's going to do in the playoffs. Palmer would probably be our head coach for no more than the remaining games and keeping him would allow the offense to operate without too much upheaval.

Most important you would never know if the real problem was Palmer or Capers. I want the answer to that question very badly right now. If Capers got fire (There is no Fire Capers Club....) then I'd be downright dissappointed if Palmer wasn't given the job on an interim basis.

I want to see what happens.

Crank_It_Up
09-14-2005, 09:59 PM
I noticed the poll on this web site shows the 96.5% of the people responding feel Capers has to go at some point. I find that interesting given all of the people who have been making excuses for Capers. Only 3.5 % basically are for no change. That is awfully one sided.
down by 15 points, 5 minutes left in the game, your offense has not moved the ball well all day, 4th down 3yds to go....what to do? That killed him for me... apparantly he is devoid of all logic. :soapbox:

profan
09-14-2005, 10:10 PM
i would like to see palmer promoted to the head coaching job if capers is let go. Then we can see who is holding this offense back. i guarantee you it would open up in a big way. Palmer was never ever a conservative play caller unit he came on board under capers. The fact is this season will really have to go bad for this all to happen, and i really think this team will do alright this year, starting with a good game against the steelers.

the wonger need food
09-14-2005, 10:11 PM
down by 15 points, 5 minutes left in the game, your offense has not moved the ball well all day, 4th down 3yds to go....what to do? That killed him for me... apparantly he is devoid of all logic. :soapbox:

Keep the game close. Take what the opponent gives you. Play for field position. That is the logic.

Good philosophy if you have a dominant defense which this team has never had. The game has passed the man by. It's time for an innovative, creative coach that can light a fire under our million dollar babies.

Tulip
09-14-2005, 10:14 PM
I'm not a fan of changing coaches during the season.

There are people above Capers. They need to figure out how to motivate him to make adjustments.

When I was in management (briefly), I learned that it all starts at the top.

beerlover
09-14-2005, 10:32 PM
continuity is key, Capers is a class person & excellent defensive mind which means he excells in destruction. by the time this season is complete then we can acess the damage and make changes as needed :rolleyes:

Buzz
09-14-2005, 10:47 PM
There are people above Capers. They need to figure out how to motivate him to make adjustments.

Exactly. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I would like to see McNair be more like Jerry Jones and be in Capers face all the time, at least for now, and see what happens when he feels that kind of pressure from the owner.

Porky
09-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Exactly. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I would like to see McNair be more like Jerry Jones and be in Capers face all the time, at least for now, and see what happens when he feels that kind of pressure from the owner.

Speaking of which...has anyone been wondering where our fearless leader has been? I would have liked to have heard his take on what went down at Buffalo? Actually, I was kind of hoping he would come out with a vote of confidence speech about how Capers is great, and he is his coach all the way. That way I could have been sure he would be fired. :goodnight

SPRBWL
09-14-2005, 11:46 PM

:hmmm: Extreme...yet interesting thought....However; it could aslo backfire on us in that we scare off potential HC candidiates and make Capers and staff more mistake prone...Could that be possible :hmmm:

SPRBWL
09-15-2005, 12:06 AM
We can all speculate about who we should have picked in the draft for the past 4 yrs, what we should have done from day one, and how we would have changed this ball club for the better till we are blue in the face. :twocents:

Unfortunatly, we at this time have to play the waiting game, hope Carr makes it through the Pitt. game in one piece, and that the team at least has a decent showing.

Depending on what out come of that game is...., will more than likely determine the fate of this team and staff for the rest of the season. I just hope that whatever does happen this weekend. Mr. Mcnair steps in and does right by this team. I feel like if things continue to get worse and no changes are made....we may lose our best players either to injury or just plain ol wanting to get away from the nightmare. :twocents:

Ihategeeks
09-15-2005, 12:22 AM
It's only a waste if they guy you bring in is worse.

Ibar_Harry
09-15-2005, 12:28 AM
We can all speculate about who we should have picked in the draft for the past 4 yrs, what we should have done from day one, and how we would have changed this ball club for the better till we are blue in the face. :twocents:

Unfortunatly, we at this time have to play the waiting game, hope Carr makes it through the Pitt. game in one piece, and that the team at least has a decent showing.

Depending on what out come of that game is...., will more than likely determine the fate of this team and staff for the rest of the season. I just hope that whatever does happen this weekend. Mr. Mcnair steps in and does right by this team. I feel like if things continue to get worse and no changes are made....we may lose our best players either to injury or just plain ol wanting to get away from the nightmare. :twocents:

Yes, and there have been lots of signs of unhappiness in Texan's land and everyone has been brushing it aside. I think a number of people have left because of it and Glenn is one. I said before and I still think there is more to that story than we will ever know. Capers tried to mend the damage but to no avail. You reap what you sow..................

infantrycak
09-15-2005, 12:46 AM
Very well said, but again the problem is Caper's surrounds himself with his cronies and he's not about to go after anyone who is a threat to show him up. I think it is also a function of the Capers run at all cost mentality and a fixation with the Zone blocking scheme which he bought into hook line and sinker two years ago. I think Houck would want to install a different scheme, and if it worked, that would have made Caper's look bad. While I would love to have seen the change you are talking about, it would not have worked without getting rid of Capers. Believe me I respect what you are saying about this man's ability to coach an O-line.

Here is my version:

Very well said, but again the problem is Caper's surrounds himself with his cronies (everyone does) and he's not about to go after anyone who is a threat to show him up (don't see where this is true since there are people on staff who have formerly been head coaches (Palmer) or who have been considered for head coaches (Fangio, Pendry) or who will be considered (Hoke). I think it is also a function of the Capers run at all cost mentality and a fixation with the Zone blocking scheme(funny that fixation has resulted in him having zone blocking for let's see 1.1/16th years at this point--must be a fixation rather than trying something which has given Denver an ummmm, consistant rushing attack) which he bought into hook line and sinker two years ago. I think Houck would want to install a different scheme, and if it worked, that would have made Caper's look bad. While I would love to have seen the change you are talking about, it would not have worked without getting rid of Capers. Believe me I respect what you are saying about this man's ability to coach an O-line. (Or it would have worked with Capers and Houck but without...maybe Palmer, Pendry or Casserly, at this point we really don't know).

SPRBWL
09-15-2005, 01:21 AM
At this point and time, I feel like Capers is a dead end. We have nowhere to go but up. Mcnair just needs to pull the trigger on a change now IMO.

:tomato: I at least hope it can't get any worse. TBD this weekend....... :deadhorse

SPRBWL
09-15-2005, 01:35 AM
Simply put.., Capers and company need to go..., new attitude and change go hand in hand. Better to make changes at this point than to have to wait it out one more season.

We may still lose a bunch of games this season .., but at least we will go down swinging, and who knows, maybe pull out an upset or two.

Again, my :twocents:

MightyTExan
09-15-2005, 08:13 AM
I don't think the players are buying what Dom is selling.....................

In one of Carr's recent quotes (and it feels good to hear this after three years),"We can't be conservative, we have to attack". Sounds like the QB is finally stepping up a little in the leadership role................

tsip
09-15-2005, 08:50 AM
Here is my version:

Very well said, but again the problem is Caper's surrounds himself with his cronies (everyone does) and he's not about to go after anyone who is a threat to show him up (don't see where this is true since there are people on staff who have formerly been head coaches (Palmer) or who have been considered for head coaches (Fangio, Pendry) or who will be considered (Hoke). I think it is also a function of the Capers run at all cost mentality and a fixation with the Zone blocking scheme(funny that fixation has resulted in him having zone blocking for let's see 1.1/16th years at this point--must be a fixation rather than trying something which has given Denver an ummmm, consistant rushing attack) which he bought into hook line and sinker two years ago. I think Houck would want to install a different scheme, and if it worked, that would have made Caper's look bad. While I would love to have seen the change you are talking about, it would not have worked without getting rid of Capers. Believe me I respect what you are saying about this man's ability to coach an O-line. (Or it would have worked with Capers and Houck but without...maybe Palmer, Pendry or Casserly, at this point we really don't know).

As long as Capers is here, it's going to be the same-o same-o and you are right on about Capers not hiring coaches that can take his job away. In 'Caper's Quotes,' he says the ideal winning situation is to throw 11 passes and run 41 times. Finally, like his game plans, "Capers Quote" is the same BS every week...and he still never accepts blame!!! :brickwall

BigBull17
09-15-2005, 09:01 AM

Well it looks like they dont know this offense so what will it hurt to learn a new one? Besides it will be an advantage to learn it now so by the start of next season they will be in full swing.

OzzO
09-15-2005, 09:06 AM

Oh HECK no. That's the one thing that drove me nuts when we had no team and I was supporting the other Texas team. Jerrah thought he had to put it in everyone's business and may even have thought he could do the job better... I mean, to drop Johnson and bring in Switzer?

I dig McNair's style - the "behind the scenes" and smart owner. He'll come out in public when he has something positive to say, or at least let the masses know what his focus is ("Number one priority is to protect David Carr.") but to come out and rag on personell... I don't see that happening, thank goodness.

WWJD
09-15-2005, 12:05 PM
Depending on whose story you hear and believe Jimmy quit or Jerry made him a deal to leave. Irregardless when you have a personality conflict between the owner and an employee of any company or business the owner will always win...that's a war that couldn't be won by Jimmy. He left with a nice large million dollar bonus I think and in fact Jimmy has gone on record to say that these days he and Jerry are on good terms and friendly. The relationship had just run it's course so to speak.

And Barry did win a SB that first year without even having to coach...something I'm not so sure he's capable of anyway. :rolleyes:

If the Texans make a coaching change I don't think it will be till the offseason. And that's a long way away and alot of football to be played. I do wonder though if the fans will weigh in on a decision. It seems to me by the game that fans are growing more weary of the Capers regime.

Hervoyel
09-15-2005, 01:03 PM
You know, I always hear that Barry couldn't coach and I just plain disagree with that. Barry Switzer coached just fine. He won a lot in the college game and that didn't just happen all on it's own. He got hired by Jerry Jones and what did he do in his first season? the team went to the Super Bowl and won it.

Now everyone says (rightfully so) that he took Jimmy Johnsons team to the Super Bowl and was just along for the ride but think about that for a moment. Didn't John Gruden pretty much take Tony Dungys team to the Super Bowl? Nobody says Gruden can't coach even though he's done nothing of note with the Bucs since then.

Switzer in his first season with the Cowboys did an outstanding job of coaching in that the team he was given could have taken itself to the Super Bowl without any coaches at all by the time he got there. Sometimes knowing to leave something good alone is the smartest thing you can do.

I consider the Cowboys downfall to be far more Jerry Jones fault than Barry Switzers. Jones is maybe the poorest judge of talent in the northern hemisphere and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a draft without someone (Like Jimmy Johnson, or today like the Tuna) holding his hand. That team got old and didn't restock well.

Switzer was a better coach in college than he could ever have been in the pros. That's kind of his limitation. Lots of good coaches are limited. Jerry Glanville is a good coach... if you need a defensive coordinator. Same with Buddy Ryan. The league is littered with guys like that but they're good coaches. Switzer could coach, he was just so easy to make fun of because he took the role of Jerrys puppet and he did such boneheaded things (like the gun in the airport) at times.

OzzO
09-15-2005, 01:44 PM
Bob McNair speaks.....

Texans owner Bob McNair watched practice Wednesday and then gave his opinion on the Buffalo debacle.

"Like everyone else, I was disappointed, but I'm confident we're going to turn this thing around," he said. "It's my responsibility and the responsibility of the coaches, players and scouts — everyone in the organization. We all want to do better."

The Texans host the Steelers, who led the NFL in total defense last season.

"Pittsburgh represents a tough challenge for us," McNair said. "Look at what they did against Tennessee (34-7 victory). We don't need to dig ourselves a hole in this game like we did against Buffalo.

"This isn't a make-or-break game, but it'll tell us a lot about our team."

Regarding the inept performance of his offense, McNair said: "I'm concerned, but I'm not worried. I'm frustrated but optimistic. It's one game. If we had won, we wouldn't be the champions."

chronic (http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3354746)

the wonger need food
09-15-2005, 01:47 PM
Sounds like Bob is preparing for himself for the worst. As most of us are.

Hey, does anyone remember back when this team had heart? Wasn't that cool?

kevlar_h
09-15-2005, 07:44 PM
People need to stop pointing fingers at David Carr and realize that the problem is Coach Capers. Everyone that has ever watched a Texans game has known for 3 years in a row that the main offensinve problem the Texans face is protecting the QB (140 sacks in 3 years). Yet this offseason, Dom and Charlie did nothing to help (except pick up Victor Riley who the Saints didn't think enough of the resign). They gave us fans (and Carr) a little hope when they brought Orlando Pace in to work out for the team. When that fell through, I'll bet David Carr's hopes of staying upright went out the window.

Also, Capers and the OCs that have been with the Texans are all too passive and predictable. It's 1st and 10, what do you do? Run. No matter where they are on the field or how far behind in the game. If that doesn't work why not run it again on 2nd & 10. Oh, it's 3rd & long, we'd better pass this time. Doesn't take much for a defensive coordinator to figure that out.

Hey Capers....get Carr a line to play behind and get more creative in your play calling!

WWJD
09-15-2005, 10:30 PM
The reason the Cowboys won the SB the first year Barry was there was because they had the best talent.

Re Coach Capers...perhaps he is better suited to be a coordinator.

SPRBWL
09-15-2005, 11:00 PM
Anyone happen to catch Capers comments this evening while addressing some hurricane relief volunteers about " credibility, responsibility, and proper organization and execution" ?

It was on FSN right after the stros game this evening. I was having dinner at the time and just about choked on a piece of chicken wing.

Needless to say I lost my appetite.

This guy should take a closer look in the mirror.

What a hyprocrite. :ok:

SPRBWL
09-15-2005, 11:05 PM
:brickwall The nerve of this guy simply amazes me. :confused:

Completly clueless! :wacko:

Jester
09-15-2005, 11:21 PM
While I can almost appreciate Capers unflappable attitude, I would sure like to see a more fire in his belly. Does this dude ever get worked up?

My question is how long will ol' Bob hang with Capers and Charlie?